|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides his direction on delivering his message, what is CDR Dupree's final request?
(a) Do not search for us.
(b) Do not let them get us.
(c) Please communicate with my family.
(d) Let the world know there ARE extra-terrestrials on Earth.
2. What does "bare steerageway" mean?
(a) Just enough speed for a ship to be accurately steered.
(b) The sailors driving the ship are doing so naked.
(c) All covers are removed from the navigational equipment and she is to be steered manually.
(d) Clutch ahead.
3. Why does the Martha Ann appear old and rusted?
(a) She is salvaged from the scrap yard.
(b) The sailor's are more interested in maintaining the battleships than a salvage ship.
(c) She's over forty years old.
(d) Clever camouflage paint.
4. What is a "fo'c's'le"?
(a) It's a variant spelling of "foxhole," and means the crew's lounging area.
(b) It's a nautical term for any area of the ship where the enlisted crew go to get away from the officers.
(c) It is an abbreviation for "forecastle," or the forward deck of a ship.
(d) It's a space in the forward hull where extra anchor chain is kept.
5. What are Boland's instructions upon hearing Dirk's message from the supposedly wrecked submarine?
(a) Standby for further instructions on how to make the boat operational.
(b) Return to the Martha Ann at once.
(c) Have March review the operating procedures for the boat's ballast tanks.
(d) Standby for a relief crew.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the Starbuck's final position report physically impossible?
2. How long is the hull of the Starbuck?
3. How does George Papaaloa describe the last researcher of the sunken island legend?
4. What military decoration does Dirk specifically mention having NOT earned?
5. What is the correct phrasing to ask someone to repeat their message or to indicate you are repeating your message?
Short Essay Questions
1. ADM Hunter refers to CDR Dupree as having a reputation for a computer-like mind. Going back to the prologue, what are some statements that support this view of Hunter's? (Dupree refers to "Annapolis." What does he mean by that?)
2. Dirk does not appreciate ADM Hunter's highhanded move to take control of his [Dirk's] life by having him detailed to his [ADM Hunter's] command. How is he "persuaded" into it?
3. What are the multiple ways that the Martha Ann is disguised as a civilian ship?
4. What two things does the receptionist at ADM Hunter's office assume of Dirk Pitt when he arrives in his bathing suit?
5. Why is Dirk's helicopter a necessary component of the crew on the Martha Ann?
6. What is a seamount?
7. What is the significance of the Lillie Marlene?
8. CDR Dupree says he ordered, "All ballast blown and hard rise on the planes." What are planes in reference to a submarine?
9. Why is LT March so resistant to the idea of entering the submarine?
10. Capt. Cinana quotes a Naval saying: "Those that lie deep in the Atlantic Sea Are recalled by shrines, wreathes and poetry, But those who lie in Pacific Sea Lie forgotten for all eternity." What does this mean?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)