|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Dirk at the opening of the book?
(a) Canea Bay, Phillippines.
(b) At Kaena Cove, Japan.
(c) On a beach called Kaena Point, HI.
(d) On a volcano called Mount Kaena, HI.
2. What is the weather as the Martha Ann gets underway?
(a) Ominously still with almost suspiciously flat seas.
(b) Red sky at night and gentle swells.
(c) Air is warm, sky is clear, sea is calm.
(d) Wind beginning to pick up, storm's coming.
3. What does Dirk start carrying before when he realizes the danger he has put himself in before reporting to Admiral Hunter?
(a) A diver's knife.
(b) A false set of credentials.
(c) His military identification.
(d) A gun.
4. What does the Marine guard at ADM Hunter's building on Pearl Harbor base ask Dirk for when he reports?
(a) His identification.
(b) His orders.
(c) Recommendations on a barber.
(d) His weapon.
5. How long has it been since Dirk has had a vacation?
(a) Three years.
(b) Four years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) Six months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Dirk want to leave the Martha Ann on the helicopter to go and get the salvage team?
2. Why does Dirk's gun do him no good in the shootout with the gray Dodge van that tails him after he leaves the museum?
3. What is Dirk's psychological assessment of sailors in relation to the intention of the staging of the Lillie Marlene?
4. Why is one reason the Navy doesn't consider the Starbuck's commanding officer's last statement of position to be credible?
5. How is the Starbuck's reactor room different from previous nuclear submarines?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Starbuck's last reported position Top Secret information?
2. What are some ways the Pacific Vortex is different from the Bermuda Triangle and other legendary danger areas?
3. Dirk sees no need to show up on time to his "date" with ADM Hunter (to report for duty). How is this reflective of both Dirk's personality and his attitude towards ADM Hunter?
4. Dirk does not appreciate ADM Hunter's highhanded move to take control of his [Dirk's] life by having him detailed to his [ADM Hunter's] command. How is he "persuaded" into it?
5. What is a seamount?
6. Cussler gives a good description of rip tides after Dirk has swum out beyond the breakers at Kaena Point. Describe them, why they are dangerous and explain how best to swim through them if caught in one.
7. In this first book of the Dirk Pitt series written by Clive Cussler, Cussler immediately begins giving hints as to Dirk's colorful personality. What are some of the incidents or statements in the first chapter that illustrate Dirk's character?
8. In the hotel bar in Chapter 3, Adrian makes the statement: "Considering your amateur standing and less than mediocre talents, you're vastly overpriced. Whom is she speaking to and what does she mean?
9. What are some of the ways that Dirk knows that Summer is neither a government agent nor an American?
10. Other than the submarine not being wholly flooded, what is the single most important fact that Dirk relays over the Starbuck's radio to the Martha Ann and why is it of the utmost significance?
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)