|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Marine guard at ADM Hunter's building on Pearl Harbor base ask Dirk for when he reports?
(a) His weapon.
(b) His identification.
(c) Recommendations on a barber.
(d) His orders.
2. How does Dirk carry Summer to the hotel?
(a) On his back.
(b) Cradled in his arms.
(c) Drags her by the arms.
(d) Over his shoulder.
3. What is unusual about the security on the Martha Ann?
(a) They require three forms of id from Dirk in addition to official orders from ADM Hunter.
(b) There is none, it's not supposed to be a Naval vessel.
(c) The security guards operate in total darkness.
(d) They conduct a full body pat-down search prior to allowing entrance to the ship.
4. What is Dirk's plan of action on the Martha Ann with only two hours to go before dark falls?
(a) To conduct an underwater search of the seamount.
(b) To build a decoy to help defend the ship from the probable nighttime attack.
(c) To improvise the best defenses the crew can muster.
(d) To dive on the sub.
5. Besides his direction on delivering his message, what is CDR Dupree's final request?
(a) Do not let them get us.
(b) Let the world know there ARE extra-terrestrials on Earth.
(c) Please communicate with my family.
(d) Do not search for us.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dirk's official professional title?
2. How many distress signals have been received from ships that have gone down where the Starbuck is last reported?
3. By ADM Hunter's estimation, how deep is the water where the Starbuck sinks?
4. According to CDR Dupree's log, which compartment in the sub is the only compartment breached?
5. How does Dirk suggest the captain's log from the Starbuck is forged?
Short Essay Questions
1. In this first book of the Dirk Pitt series written by Clive Cussler, Cussler immediately begins giving hints as to Dirk's colorful personality. What are some of the incidents or statements in the first chapter that illustrate Dirk's character?
2. Boland refers to himself as "the skipper" of the Martha Ann. What is a skipper?
3. "Perhaps Pitt could do the impossible after all." These words go through Boland's mind after he hears that Pitt is radioing the Martha Ann from the Starbuck. There are several other references throughout the book so far that indicate Dirk has a reputation for being the sort of person who makes the wildly improbable succeed effortless. Who else has said this and where is that perception originating?
4. What is the significance of there not being any paper in the crew's lounge area of the Starbuck?
5. What are the multiple ways that the Martha Ann is disguised as a civilian ship?
6. What two things does the receptionist at ADM Hunter's office assume of Dirk Pitt when he arrives in his bathing suit?
7. What are some of the ways that Dirk knows that Summer is neither a government agent nor an American?
8. What are the different mysteries or questions that ADM Hunter enumerates as he reads the log?
9. What is the Fullerton Fracture Zone? Does it actually exist?
10. Why is LT March so resistant to the idea of entering the submarine?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)