|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unique feature of the <I>Martha Ann's</I> navigational equipment makes her totally crew-independent?
(a) Her central controls can be overridden remotely.
(b) Her auto-pilot is interconnected with her GPS allowing her to navigate a pre-constructed route independently.
(c) She is entirely crew-dependent.
(d) She can be scuttled remotely in case of emergency.
2. How does Dirk carry Summer to the hotel?
(a) Over his shoulder.
(b) Drags her by the arms.
(c) Cradled in his arms.
(d) On his back.
3. How long does it take Dirk to recover himself after Summer attacks him and he knocks her out enough to get them both back to his hotel room?
(a) 10 minutes.
(b) 15 minutes.
(c) Four minutes.
(d) One hour.
4. What does Dirk wear to report for his first day of duty with ADM Hunter?
(a) A white suit with a pink shirt.
(b) Jeans and a Hawaiian shirt.
(c) Full military dress uniform.
(d) Jeans and a sport coat.
5. What does Dirk find in the water when he swims out beyond the breakers at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) A yellow scuba tank marked Russian Navy.
(b) A red life jacket attached to a piece of a Naval uniform.
(c) A canister encased in yellow plastic marked US Navy.
(d) A yellow waterproof book with the name of an Admiral on it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of Chapter 2?
2. What does the message say that the NUMA zoologist received against a microphone he is using to record fish sounds?
3. How does LCDR Boland mark the position of the submarine in case they are forced to abandon the site?
4. In spite of all of the odd people Dirk has met since the beginning of the book, who is it that still haunts him as he gets underway on the <I>Martha Ann</I>?
5. Who says to Dirk: "If you keep staring at me, I'll be forced to charge you admission."?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dirk reinforce his disregard for authority upon return from the Pacific Vortex with the crew of the <I>Martha Ann</I>?
2. Cussler gives a good description of rip tides after Dirk has swum out beyond the breakers at Kaena Point. Describe them, why they are dangerous and explain how best to swim through them if caught in one.
3. What is Delphi's plan for the <I>Starbuck</I>?
4. Cussler also provides good information about shark behavior and risks. What is it?
5. What is a seamount?
6. Why is LT March so resistant to the idea of entering the submarine?
7. ADM Hunter refers to CDR Dupree as having a reputation for a computer-like mind. Going back to the prologue, what are some statements that support this view of Hunter's? (Dupree refers to "Annapolis." What does he mean by that?)
8. In his description of the attack, Dirk notices something significant that could immeasurably assist the crew of the <I>Martha Ann</I> to prevent the boarding of the men from the sea. What is it and how could it be turned into an opportunity for the crew?
9. What does Delphi say is his main objective? What does Dirk say is Delphi's main objective?
10. What are the two most important words in the English language according to Dirk? How do they serve Dirk in the battle with the men from the sea in his hotel room?
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)