|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says: "I shot down Admiral Sandecker and his staff over the China Sea."?
(a) CDR Denver.
(b) Dirk Pitt.
(c) ADM Hunter.
(d) LCDR Boland.
2. What are Boland's instructions upon hearing Dirk's message from the supposedly wrecked submarine?
(a) Standby for further instructions on how to make the boat operational.
(b) Standby for a relief crew.
(c) Have March review the operating procedures for the boat's ballast tanks.
(d) Return to the Martha Ann at once.
3. Why does ADM Hunter think CDR Dupree ordered his captain's log delivered to him?
(a) ADM Hunter does not know.
(b) CDR Dupree is hallucinating and imagined that ADM Hunter is nearby.
(c) CDR Dupree admired ADM Hunter.
(d) CDR Dupree does no such thing, those directions are added later.
4. Why is Dirk beginning to distrust his situational awareness after his visit to the museum and George Papaaloa?
(a) He is feeling naïve and vulnerable after his encounter with Summer.
(b) He can't concentrate on business because he keeps thinking about Adrian.
(c) He is tired and hungover.
(d) He is seeing beady-eyed malefactors everywhere.
5. What military decoration does Dirk specifically mention having NOT earned?
(a) An Achievement Medal.
(b) A Meritorious Team Commendation.
(c) A Meritorious Unit Commendation.
(d) A Good Conduct Medal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dirk stop to talk to George Papaaloa?
2. By ADM Hunter's estimation, how deep is the water where the Starbuck sinks?
3. How many distress signals have been received from ships that have gone down where the Starbuck is last reported?
4. Where is Dirk at the opening of the book?
5. What does Dirk communicate about the sub's crew in his initial message back to the Martha Ann?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the different mysteries or questions that ADM Hunter enumerates as he reads the log?
2. Acting on a hunch, Dirk goes to the Polynesian history museum to visit a friend well versed in the history and culture of the Hawaiian and Pacific Islands. Why?
3. Other than the submarine not being wholly flooded, what is the single most important fact that Dirk relays over the Starbuck's radio to the Martha Ann and why is it of the utmost significance?
4. How are the dead bodies described on the Lillie Marlene? How does this description contribute to the myth of the Pacific Vortex?
5. Why is the Martha Ann disguised to look like a rust-bucket merchant ship?
6. Why is Dirk's helicopter a necessary component of the crew on the Martha Ann?
7. Why is ADM Hunter taking the step of having Dirk detailed officially to the 101st Salvage Fleet?
8. What is a possible explanation for the food being gone after only five days? (Remember ADM Hunter makes it clear that they recently left port and should have enough for the entire crew for 90 days.)
9. Dirk sees no need to show up on time to his "date" with ADM Hunter (to report for duty). How is this reflective of both Dirk's personality and his attitude towards ADM Hunter?
10. What are some of the ways that Dirk knows that Summer is neither a government agent nor an American?
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)