Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dirk's new assignment now that he has read the submarine log and reported it?
(a) He is to help in the salvage operation of the Starbuck.
(b) He is to investigate Russian activity that led to the loss of the Starbuck.
(c) He is to help in the government cover-up of the loss of the Starbuck.
(d) He is go deep undercover to avoid any connection with the missing submarine.
2. What is unusual about the security on the <I>Martha Ann</I>?
(a) They require three forms of id from Dirk in addition to official orders from ADM Hunter.
(b) They conduct a full body pat-down search prior to allowing entrance to the ship.
(c) The security guards operate in total darkness.
(d) There is none, it's not supposed to be a Naval vessel.
3. What unusual equipment does LT Stanley sight on the first wreck that the <I>Martha Ann</I> discovers?
(a) A farm tractor.
(b) An old Volkswagen beetle.
(c) A satellite dish.
(d) A gyroscope.
4. Who is Dirk Pitt's father?
(a) A Senator from California, Chairman of the Naval Appropriations Committee.
(b) A Representative from Minnesota, on the House Armed Services Committee.
(c) White House Chief of Staff.
(d) Chief, Joint Chiefs of Staff.
5. How many distress signals have been received from ships that have gone down where the <I>Starbuck</I> is last reported?
(a) Several thousand.
(b) Only two.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dirk's official professional title?
2. How does Dirk suggest the captain's log from the <I>Starbuck</I> is forged?
3. Why does ADM Hunter think the crew could have still escaped and survived?
4. What does the message say that the NUMA zoologist received against a microphone he is using to record fish sounds?
5. Why is Dirk beginning to distrust his situational awareness after his visit to the museum and George Papaaloa?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pitt know that the <I>Martha Ann</I> is out of radio contact with the world?
2. What is a seamount?
3. Why is the <I>Starbuck</I>'s last reported position Top Secret information?
4. Dirk notes some distinct oddities about the <I>Starbuck</I>'s final resting place and the condition. Describe what these oddities mean.
5. Acting on a hunch, Dirk goes to the Polynesian history museum to visit a friend well versed in the history and culture of the Hawaiian and Pacific Islands. Why?
6. How is the scent of the eucalyptus oil explained? How does it support the theory of the seamount?
7. How does Dirk reinforce his disregard for authority upon return from the Pacific Vortex with the crew of the <I>Martha Ann</I>?
8. What two things does the receptionist at ADM Hunter's office assume of Dirk Pitt when he arrives in his bathing suit?
9. What are the different mysteries or questions that ADM Hunter enumerates as he reads the log?
10. What is a possible explanation for the food being gone after only five days? (Remember ADM Hunter makes it clear that they recently left port and should have enough for the entire crew for 90 days.)
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)