|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dirk's room number?
2. How does Admiral Hunter know that Dirk has never served on a submarine?
(a) Dirk does not have the right military bearing.
(b) Dirk does not understand the significance of what he read.
(c) Dirk does not recognize the communications capsule.
(d) ADM Hunter has never heard of Dirk.
3. How long has it been since Dirk has had a vacation?
(a) Three years.
(b) Six months.
(c) 10 years.
(d) Four years.
4. How is the Starbuck's reactor room different from previous nuclear submarines?
(a) It is located aft instead of forward.
(b) It is lead shielded to protect the crew better.
(c) It is ten times smaller but the reactors are twenty times more powerful.
(d) It is combined with the engine room and moved to the forward area of the boat.
5. What is Dirk wearing when he goes to see Admiral Hunter for the first time?
(a) His business suit.
(b) His bathing suit.
(c) His wetsuit.
(d) His military uniform.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the hull of the Starbuck?
2. How many distress signals have been received from ships that have gone down where the Starbuck is last reported?
3. How does Dirk carry Summer to the hotel?
4. How long has it been since someone researched the sunken island at George Papaaloa's museum?
5. Why is Dirk beginning to distrust his situational awareness after his visit to the museum and George Papaaloa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dirk sees no need to show up on time to his "date" with ADM Hunter (to report for duty). How is this reflective of both Dirk's personality and his attitude towards ADM Hunter?
2. CDR Dupree says he ordered, "All ballast blown and hard rise on the planes." What are planes in reference to a submarine?
3. Acting on a hunch, Dirk goes to the Polynesian history museum to visit a friend well versed in the history and culture of the Hawaiian and Pacific Islands. Why?
4. "Perhaps Pitt could do the impossible after all." These words go through Boland's mind after he hears that Pitt is radioing the Martha Ann from the Starbuck. There are several other references throughout the book so far that indicate Dirk has a reputation for being the sort of person who makes the wildly improbable succeed effortless. Who else has said this and where is that perception originating?
5. Why is ADM Hunter taking the step of having Dirk detailed officially to the 101st Salvage Fleet?
6. How does Adrian Hunter feel about her father? Use quotes from Chapter to support your position.
7. Cussler gives a good description of rip tides after Dirk has swum out beyond the breakers at Kaena Point. Describe them, why they are dangerous and explain how best to swim through them if caught in one.
8. Other than the submarine not being wholly flooded, what is the single most important fact that Dirk relays over the Starbuck's radio to the Martha Ann and why is it of the utmost significance?
9. In the hotel bar in Chapter 3, Adrian makes the statement: "Considering your amateur standing and less than mediocre talents, you're vastly overpriced. Whom is she speaking to and what does she mean?
10. What are some of the ways that Dirk knows that Summer is neither a government agent nor an American?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)