|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many distress signals have been received from ships that have gone down where the Starbuck is last reported?
(b) Only two.
(c) Several thousand.
2. Who says to Dirk: "If you keep staring at me, I'll be forced to charge you admission."?
(a) Summer Moran.
(b) Adrian Hunter.
(c) The blonde girl from Dirk's fifth grade class.
(d) Capt. Orl Cinana
3. What is the weather as the Martha Ann gets underway?
(a) Air is warm, sky is clear, sea is calm.
(b) Wind beginning to pick up, storm's coming.
(c) Red sky at night and gentle swells.
(d) Ominously still with almost suspiciously flat seas.
4. What is Dirk's room number?
5. What does Dirk start carrying before when he realizes the danger he has put himself in before reporting to Admiral Hunter?
(a) A gun.
(b) His military identification.
(c) A diver's knife.
(d) A false set of credentials.
Short Answer Questions
1. In spite of all of the odd people Dirk has met since the beginning of the book, who is it that still haunts him as he gets underway on the Martha Ann?
2. Who is Dirk initially talking to in the bar at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel?
3. What is Dirk's military rank?
4. What about the Starbuck's engine room strikes Dirk and LT March as suspicious?
5. What is Dirk's official professional title?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is LT March so resistant to the idea of entering the submarine?
2. What is the Fullerton Fracture Zone? Does it actually exist?
3. What is the significance of the Lillie Marlene?
4. Why is it important for ADM Hunter's men to get to the accident site when the gray van runs off the road before the Honolulu police?
5. Dirk sees no need to show up on time to his "date" with ADM Hunter (to report for duty). How is this reflective of both Dirk's personality and his attitude towards ADM Hunter?
6. What are the multiple ways that the Martha Ann is disguised as a civilian ship?
7. How does Cussler describe ADM Sandecker at the beginning of Chapter that makes him seem like a likely person to work with Dirk Pitt?
8. How are the dead bodies described on the Lillie Marlene? How does this description contribute to the myth of the Pacific Vortex?
9. What is a seamount?
10. Why is the Starbuck's last reported position Top Secret information?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)