|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take for Dirk to get the helicopter the Martha Ann is carrying from a cold start into the air?
(a) 90 seconds.
(b) One hour.
(c) 10 minutes.
(d) 40 seconds.
2. What does Dirk wear to report for his first day of duty with ADM Hunter?
(a) Full military dress uniform.
(b) Jeans and a Hawaiian shirt.
(c) A white suit with a pink shirt.
(d) Jeans and a sport coat.
3. What does the Marine guard at ADM Hunter's building on Pearl Harbor base ask Dirk for when he reports?
(a) Recommendations on a barber.
(b) His orders.
(c) His weapon.
(d) His identification.
4. What color are Dirk's eyes?
5. What is the time lapse between the disaster that befell the ship and the beginning of the narrative that ADM Hunter relates?
(b) Five days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Six months.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dirk decide who to give the manuscript to?
2. How long is the hull of the Starbuck?
3. Where is Dirk at the opening of the book?
4. What accounts for the ocean turning a greenish color as the Martha Ann approaches the shallower water of the seamount?
5. What is the Martha Ann's depth at the start of their search pattern?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the different mysteries or questions that ADM Hunter enumerates as he reads the log?
2. What is the significance of there not being any paper in the crew's lounge area of the Starbuck?
3. What is a possible explanation for the food being gone after only five days? (Remember ADM Hunter makes it clear that they recently left port and should have enough for the entire crew for 90 days.)
4. Why is ADM Hunter taking the step of having Dirk detailed officially to the 101st Salvage Fleet?
5. Dirk notes some distinct oddities about the Starbuck's final resting place and the condition. Describe what these oddities mean.
6. Boland refers to himself as "the skipper" of the Martha Ann. What is a skipper?
7. How does Cussler describe ADM Sandecker at the beginning of Chapter that makes him seem like a likely person to work with Dirk Pitt?
8. Dirk describes a few incidents he has known in his work that "smacked of Jules Verne." Describe them and discuss Dirk's attitude towards "ghost catching."
9. Acting on a hunch, Dirk goes to the Polynesian history museum to visit a friend well versed in the history and culture of the Hawaiian and Pacific Islands. Why?
10. Why is LT March so resistant to the idea of entering the submarine?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)