|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the radio code for having found the Starbuck?
(a) "Stopped all engines to repair a burned shaft bearing."
(b) "Returning to base for repairs to starboard engine."
(c) Nothing. Strict radio silence is essential.
(d) "The cat's in the cradle."
2. Besides his direction on delivering his message, what is CDR Dupree's final request?
(a) Let the world know there ARE extra-terrestrials on Earth.
(b) Do not let them get us.
(c) Do not search for us.
(d) Please communicate with my family.
3. What does Dirk discover in Summer's hand when he goes to pick her up and take her back to the hotel?
(a) A hammer.
(b) A knife.
(c) A syringe.
(d) His wallet.
4. Why is diving on a wrecked submarine different from a wrecked ship for Dirk?
(a) Because he feels like he knows this crew from reading the manuscript.
(b) Because ships are supposed to be on the surface of the water, whereas the sub is in its natural environment.
(c) Because he's diving with only one partner this time.
(d) Because the submarine doesn't appear to have been wrecked at all.
5. Why is one reason the Navy doesn't consider the Starbuck's commanding officer's last statement of position to be credible?
(a) They don't trust ADM Hunter.
(b) They believe Dirk is perpetrating a hoax.
(c) They believe the Russians planted the manuscript.
(d) They don't believe in the Pacific Vortex.
Short Answer Questions
1. Roughly how large is the Martha Ann in Dirk's estimate?
2. How does Dirk describe the smell of a working port as he arrives for his departure on the Martha Ann?
3. Who does Dirk call first to report the incident with the gray van?
4. Which seamen could have survived immediately after "the disaster" befell the Starbuck according to the logbook?
5. What unusual equipment does LT Stanley sight on the first wreck that the Martha Ann discovers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dirk does not appreciate ADM Hunter's highhanded move to take control of his [Dirk's] life by having him detailed to his [ADM Hunter's] command. How is he "persuaded" into it?
2. In this first book of the Dirk Pitt series written by Clive Cussler, Cussler immediately begins giving hints as to Dirk's colorful personality. What are some of the incidents or statements in the first chapter that illustrate Dirk's character?
3. What is the Fullerton Fracture Zone? Does it actually exist?
4. Why is LT March so resistant to the idea of entering the submarine?
5. A gray Dodge van pursues Dirk and the driver of the van begins shooting at Dirk before attempting to run him off the road. Unravel the mystery. Who has the motive, knowledge, and opportunity to tip off "Them," whoever "They" might be, to Dirk's presence and interested activity?
6. What are the different mysteries or questions that ADM Hunter enumerates as he reads the log?
7. Dirk notes some distinct oddities about the Starbuck's final resting place and the condition. Describe what these oddities mean.
8. What is the significance of there not being any paper in the crew's lounge area of the Starbuck?
9. What is a seamount?
10. Acting on a hunch, Dirk goes to the Polynesian history museum to visit a friend well versed in the history and culture of the Hawaiian and Pacific Islands. Why?
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)