|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does ADM Hunter think the crew could have still escaped and survived?
(a) There are plenty of life rafts.
(b) There are fishing trawler's nearby the crew could have reached.
(c) The distance from the sub escape hatches to the surface is easily reachable with or without SCUBA gear.
(d) There is a chase ship three nautical miles away.
2. What military decoration does Dirk specifically mention having NOT earned?
(a) A Meritorious Team Commendation.
(b) An Achievement Medal.
(c) A Good Conduct Medal.
(d) A Meritorious Unit Commendation.
3. How long has it been since someone researched the sunken island at George Papaaloa's museum?
(a) No one has ever asked for information about it from George.
(b) During the Vietnam War.
(c) Since right after World War Two.
(d) Two weeks ago.
4. How long does it take for Dirk to get the helicopter the Martha Ann is carrying from a cold start into the air?
(a) 40 seconds.
(b) 90 seconds.
(c) One hour.
(d) 10 minutes.
5. How long does it take Dirk to recover himself after Summer attacks him and he knocks her out enough to get them both back to his hotel room?
(a) 10 minutes.
(b) 15 minutes.
(c) Four minutes.
(d) One hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of Chapter 2?
2. What color is Summer's hair?
3. What color are Dirk's eyes?
4. What does George Papaaloa ask Dirk about progress on that that Dirk had recently been diving to find?
5. How does LCDR Boland mark the position of the submarine in case they are forced to abandon the site?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Perhaps Pitt could do the impossible after all." These words go through Boland's mind after he hears that Pitt is radioing the Martha Ann from the Starbuck. There are several other references throughout the book so far that indicate Dirk has a reputation for being the sort of person who makes the wildly improbable succeed effortless. Who else has said this and where is that perception originating?
2. Cussler gives a good description of rip tides after Dirk has swum out beyond the breakers at Kaena Point. Describe them, why they are dangerous and explain how best to swim through them if caught in one.
3. Why is the Starbuck's last reported position Top Secret information?
4. Why is the Martha Ann disguised to look like a rust-bucket merchant ship?
5. What two things does the receptionist at ADM Hunter's office assume of Dirk Pitt when he arrives in his bathing suit?
6. Boland refers to himself as "the skipper" of the Martha Ann. What is a skipper?
7. Dirk notes some distinct oddities about the Starbuck's final resting place and the condition. Describe what these oddities mean.
8. How does Cussler describe ADM Sandecker at the beginning of Chapter that makes him seem like a likely person to work with Dirk Pitt?
9. How are the dead bodies described on the Lillie Marlene? How does this description contribute to the myth of the Pacific Vortex?
10. Dirk sees no need to show up on time to his "date" with ADM Hunter (to report for duty). How is this reflective of both Dirk's personality and his attitude towards ADM Hunter?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)