|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is diving on a wrecked submarine different from a wrecked ship for Dirk?
(a) Because ships are supposed to be on the surface of the water, whereas the sub is in its natural environment.
(b) Because he feels like he knows this crew from reading the manuscript.
(c) Because he's diving with only one partner this time.
(d) Because the submarine doesn't appear to have been wrecked at all.
2. Why doesn't Dirk want to leave the <I>Martha Ann</I> on the helicopter to go and get the salvage team?
(a) Because he's afraid to fly in the dark.
(b) He doesn't believe the sub can be salvaged.
(c) Because if something happens, there is no alternate escape route for the crew.
(d) He doesn't want to miss the action on the Martha Ann.
3. What is Dirk's room number?
4. What smell is associated with the attack on the <I>Lillie Marlene</I>?
(a) Melting plastic.
5. How does Dirk decide who to give the manuscript to?
(a) The manuscript is addressed to Admiral Leigh Hunter.
(b) The manuscript is written by Admiral Leigh Hunter.
(c) Dirk guesses that Admiral Leigh Hunter might be interested.
(d) Admiral Leigh Hunter is the only military command officer Dirk knows in the area.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the driver of the gray Dodge van that tries to run Dirk off the road?
2. How does Dirk suggest the captain's log from the <I>Starbuck</I> is forged?
3. Why does Dirk argue that the <I>Martha Ann's</I> bevy of detection equipment may not keep her safe come nightfall?
4. What does Dirk find in the water when he swims out beyond the breakers at the beginning of Chapter 1?
5. What is Dirk's plan of action on the <I>Martha Ann</I> with only two hours to go before dark falls?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Delphi's plan for the <I>Starbuck</I>?
2. What is unexpected and distinctly suspicious about the fog that suddenly overwhelms the <I>Martha Ann</I>? What kinds of conditions are required to create fog?
3. Dirk describes a few incidents he has known in his work that "smacked of Jules Verne." Describe them and discuss Dirk's attitude towards "ghost catching."
4. Why is ADM Hunter taking the step of having Dirk detailed officially to the 101st Salvage Fleet?
5. Boland refers to himself as "the skipper" of the <I>Martha Ann</I>. What is a skipper?
6. What does Dirk fear lays in store for the <I>Martha Ann</I>? What information is he now armed with that may help? What does he still not know that could be fatal?
7. Why is it important for ADM Hunter's men to get to the accident site when the gray van runs off the road before the Honolulu police?
8. How does Cussler describe ADM Sandecker at the beginning of Chapter that makes him seem like a likely person to work with Dirk Pitt?
9. What two things does the receptionist at ADM Hunter's office assume of Dirk Pitt when he arrives in his bathing suit?
10. Why is the <I>Starbuck</I>'s last reported position Top Secret information?
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)