|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dirk's room number?
2. What color is Summer's hair?
(a) Dark brown.
(b) Dirty blonde.
3. How does Commander Dupree report the final resting place of the <I>Starbuck</I>?
(a) The same as the sub's last reported position.
(b) Precise geo-coordinates, 500 miles from the last reported position.
(c) Precise geo-coordinates, which, if correct, would put the submarine on land.
(d) As unknown.
4. What accounts for the ocean turning a greenish color as the <I>Martha Ann</I> approaches the shallower water of the seamount?
(a) A dye marker in the water.
(b) Vegetation growing on the seamount.
(c) Source unknown.
(d) Toxic waste spewing from the submarine's damaged reactor.
5. How does George Papaaloa describe the last researcher of the sunken island legend?
(a) About 6 feet tall, green eyes, black hair.
(b) A midget with red hair.
(c) As a god.
(d) A giant with golden eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dirk initially talking to in the bar at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel?
2. How does Dirk send a message back to the <I>Martha Ann</I> from the <I>Starbuck</I>?
3. Who is Dirk Pitt's father?
4. How does Dirk describe the smell of a working port as he arrives for his departure on the <I>Martha Ann</I>?
5. What is the weather as the <I>Martha Ann</I> gets underway?
Short Essay Questions
1. Dirk sees no need to show up on time to his "date" with ADM Hunter (to report for duty). How is this reflective of both Dirk's personality and his attitude towards ADM Hunter?
2. Acting on a hunch, Dirk goes to the Polynesian history museum to visit a friend well versed in the history and culture of the Hawaiian and Pacific Islands. Why?
3. How does Dirk determine that Hunter's crew has been searching the wrong area?
4. "Perhaps Pitt could do the impossible after all." These words go through Boland's mind after he hears that Pitt is radioing the <I>Martha Ann</I> from the <I>Starbuck</I>. There are several other references throughout the book so far that indicate Dirk has a reputation for being the sort of person who makes the wildly improbable succeed effortless. Who else has said this and where is that perception originating?
5. What does Dirk fear lays in store for the <I>Martha Ann</I>? What information is he now armed with that may help? What does he still not know that could be fatal?
6. It is evident that Seaman First Class Farris could never have been any help to Delphi's cause or mission, however, Delphi keeps him alive, in spite of admitting to Dirk that Farris is "a minor miscalculation." What might be some reasons for this?
7. What is unexpected and distinctly suspicious about the fog that suddenly overwhelms the <I>Martha Ann</I>? What kinds of conditions are required to create fog?
8. Why is it important for ADM Hunter's men to get to the accident site when the gray van runs off the road before the Honolulu police?
9. What two things does the receptionist at ADM Hunter's office assume of Dirk Pitt when he arrives in his bathing suit?
10. What are some of the ways that Dirk knows that Summer is neither a government agent nor an American?
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)