|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides his direction on delivering his message, what is CDR Dupree's final request?
(a) Do not let them get us.
(b) Let the world know there ARE extra-terrestrials on Earth.
(c) Do not search for us.
(d) Please communicate with my family.
2. How does Admiral Hunter know that Dirk has never served on a submarine?
(a) Dirk does not have the right military bearing.
(b) Dirk does not understand the significance of what he read.
(c) ADM Hunter has never heard of Dirk.
(d) Dirk does not recognize the communications capsule.
3. How long has it been since someone researched the sunken island at George Papaaloa's museum?
(a) No one has ever asked for information about it from George.
(b) During the Vietnam War.
(c) Two weeks ago.
(d) Since right after World War Two.
4. How does Dirk describe the smell of a working port as he arrives for his departure on the Martha Ann?
(a) Reeking of seaweed and petrol with a touch of seagull crap mixed in.
(b) A heady aroma of saltwater and Hawaiian flowers with just a hint of gasoline to indicate the work at hand.
(c) Oil, gasoline, tar and smoke, with a tinge of saltwater.
(d) Nauseating and faintly reminiscent of times at sea he'd rather forget.
5. How does the Starbuck hit the seafloor?
(a) Perfectly parallel.
(b) Stern first, almost perpendicular.
(c) Bow first.
(d) Upside down.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the security on the Martha Ann?
2. What is Dirk's official professional title?
3. What are the two most important things about the sub's condition that Dirk reports to Boland?
4. What weather phenomenon features in both the reports of the Lillie Marlene and the Starbuck?
5. Why is Dirk beginning to distrust his situational awareness after his visit to the museum and George Papaaloa?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Perhaps Pitt could do the impossible after all." These words go through Boland's mind after he hears that Pitt is radioing the Martha Ann from the Starbuck. There are several other references throughout the book so far that indicate Dirk has a reputation for being the sort of person who makes the wildly improbable succeed effortless. Who else has said this and where is that perception originating?
2. What is the significance of the Lillie Marlene?
3. What is the Fullerton Fracture Zone? Does it actually exist?
4. In the hotel bar in Chapter 3, Adrian makes the statement: "Considering your amateur standing and less than mediocre talents, you're vastly overpriced. Whom is she speaking to and what does she mean?
5. Dirk notes some distinct oddities about the Starbuck's final resting place and the condition. Describe what these oddities mean.
6. What are the multiple ways that the Martha Ann is disguised as a civilian ship?
7. What are some of the ways that Dirk knows that Summer is neither a government agent nor an American?
8. Capt. Cinana quotes a Naval saying: "Those that lie deep in the Atlantic Sea Are recalled by shrines, wreathes and poetry, But those who lie in Pacific Sea Lie forgotten for all eternity." What does this mean?
9. Why is LT March so resistant to the idea of entering the submarine?
10. How does Dirk determine that Hunter's crew has been searching the wrong area?
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)