|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Martha Ann appear old and rusted?
(a) She is salvaged from the scrap yard.
(b) Clever camouflage paint.
(c) The sailor's are more interested in maintaining the battleships than a salvage ship.
(d) She's over forty years old.
2. What does Dirk communicate about the sub's crew in his initial message back to the Martha Ann?
(a) It's as though they never existed.
(b) They're dead.
(c) There's evidence of a struggle but no bodies.
(d) He doesn't mention the crew.
3. What is Dirk wearing when he goes to see Admiral Hunter for the first time?
(a) His bathing suit.
(b) His business suit.
(c) His military uniform.
(d) His wetsuit.
4. In spite of all of the odd people Dirk has met since the beginning of the book, who is it that still haunts him as he gets underway on the Martha Ann?
(a) Adrian Hunter.
(c) George Papaaloa.
(d) The other man researching the Kanoli legend.
5. How does Commander Dupree report the final resting place of the Starbuck?
(a) Precise geo-coordinates, 500 miles from the last reported position.
(b) Precise geo-coordinates, which, if correct, would put the submarine on land.
(c) As unknown.
(d) The same as the sub's last reported position.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Chief Director of the Naval Underwater and Marine Agency?
2. How does the Starbuck hit the seafloor?
3. What is the weather as the Martha Ann gets underway?
4. When is strict radio silence imposed for a US Navy submarine?
5. What is the nickname of the area where the Starbuck went missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the hotel bar in Chapter 3, Adrian makes the statement: "Considering your amateur standing and less than mediocre talents, you're vastly overpriced. Whom is she speaking to and what does she mean?
2. What are some of the ways that Dirk knows that Summer is neither a government agent nor an American?
3. What is the significance of there not being any paper in the crew's lounge area of the Starbuck?
4. In this first book of the Dirk Pitt series written by Clive Cussler, Cussler immediately begins giving hints as to Dirk's colorful personality. What are some of the incidents or statements in the first chapter that illustrate Dirk's character?
5. Dirk sees no need to show up on time to his "date" with ADM Hunter (to report for duty). How is this reflective of both Dirk's personality and his attitude towards ADM Hunter?
6. Capt. Cinana quotes a Naval saying: "Those that lie deep in the Atlantic Sea Are recalled by shrines, wreathes and poetry, But those who lie in Pacific Sea Lie forgotten for all eternity." What does this mean?
7. What two things does the receptionist at ADM Hunter's office assume of Dirk Pitt when he arrives in his bathing suit?
8. Cussler also provides good information about shark behavior and risks. What is it?
9. Why is it important for ADM Hunter's men to get to the accident site when the gray van runs off the road before the Honolulu police?
10. What is the Fullerton Fracture Zone? Does it actually exist?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)