|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dirk's plan of action on the Martha Ann with only two hours to go before dark falls?
(a) To dive on the sub.
(b) To build a decoy to help defend the ship from the probable nighttime attack.
(c) To conduct an underwater search of the seamount.
(d) To improvise the best defenses the crew can muster.
2. What are Boland's instructions upon hearing Dirk's message from the supposedly wrecked submarine?
(a) Standby for a relief crew.
(b) Have March review the operating procedures for the boat's ballast tanks.
(c) Standby for further instructions on how to make the boat operational.
(d) Return to the Martha Ann at once.
3. How is the boarding party killed according to the San Gabriel's report?
(a) They drowned.
(b) They are victims of the killers "from the mist."
(c) They are blown up with the Lillie Marlene before they can take her in tow.
(d) They are not killed.
4. What is the radio code for having found the Starbuck?
(a) "The cat's in the cradle."
(b) "Stopped all engines to repair a burned shaft bearing."
(c) Nothing. Strict radio silence is essential.
(d) "Returning to base for repairs to starboard engine."
5. Why is one reason the Navy doesn't consider the Starbuck's commanding officer's last statement of position to be credible?
(a) They don't believe in the Pacific Vortex.
(b) They believe the Russians planted the manuscript.
(c) They believe Dirk is perpetrating a hoax.
(d) They don't trust ADM Hunter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Dirk to recover himself after Summer attacks him and he knocks her out enough to get them both back to his hotel room?
2. What does Dirk communicate about the sub's crew in his initial message back to the Martha Ann?
3. What is dangerous about Dirk's swim out to the object in the water?
4. How long has it been since someone researched the sunken island at George Papaaloa's museum?
5. By ADM Hunter's estimation, how deep is the water where the Starbuck sinks?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the hotel bar in Chapter 3, Adrian makes the statement: "Considering your amateur standing and less than mediocre talents, you're vastly overpriced. Whom is she speaking to and what does she mean?
2. Dirk describes a few incidents he has known in his work that "smacked of Jules Verne." Describe them and discuss Dirk's attitude towards "ghost catching."
3. What is the Fullerton Fracture Zone? Does it actually exist?
4. Cussler also provides good information about shark behavior and risks. What is it?
5. "Perhaps Pitt could do the impossible after all." These words go through Boland's mind after he hears that Pitt is radioing the Martha Ann from the Starbuck. There are several other references throughout the book so far that indicate Dirk has a reputation for being the sort of person who makes the wildly improbable succeed effortless. Who else has said this and where is that perception originating?
6. What are the different mysteries or questions that ADM Hunter enumerates as he reads the log?
7. Cussler gives a good description of rip tides after Dirk has swum out beyond the breakers at Kaena Point. Describe them, why they are dangerous and explain how best to swim through them if caught in one.
8. Why is the Starbuck's last reported position Top Secret information?
9. Why is the Martha Ann disguised to look like a rust-bucket merchant ship?
10. What are the multiple ways that the Martha Ann is disguised as a civilian ship?
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)