|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Adrian Hunter?
(a) Admiral Hunter's daughter.
(b) A spy trying to kill Admiral Hunter.
(c) Dirk's girlfriend.
(d) A government operative trying to kill Dirk.
2. What kind of car does Dirk drive?
(a) An AC Cobra.
(b) A Volkswagen beetle.
(c) An antique Chevy pickup.
(d) A Ford Mustang.
3. Whose responsibility is it to plot the new search area for the Martha Ann after Dirk's interpretation of the evidence?
(a) LCDR Boland.
(b) CDR Denver.
(c) ADM Hunter.
(d) CDR Denver.
4. How long does the Navy extend searches for its missing vessels or crew?
(a) 72 hours.
(b) he Navy does not conduct search and rescue, the Coast Guard does.
(c) 60 days.
5. What is Dirk doing at the opening of the book?
(a) Visiting with friends.
(d) Riding his bike.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Chief Director of the Naval Underwater and Marine Agency?
2. How many consonants does the Hawaiian language have?
3. Where is Dirk at the opening of the book?
4. What is the nickname of the area where the Starbuck went missing?
5. How long does it take for Dirk to get the helicopter the Martha Ann is carrying from a cold start into the air?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a seamount?
2. Why is it important for ADM Hunter's men to get to the accident site when the gray van runs off the road before the Honolulu police?
3. What is a possible explanation for the food being gone after only five days? (Remember ADM Hunter makes it clear that they recently left port and should have enough for the entire crew for 90 days.)
4. Cussler also provides good information about shark behavior and risks. What is it?
5. How does Cussler describe ADM Sandecker at the beginning of Chapter that makes him seem like a likely person to work with Dirk Pitt?
6. ADM Hunter refers to CDR Dupree as having a reputation for a computer-like mind. Going back to the prologue, what are some statements that support this view of Hunter's? (Dupree refers to "Annapolis." What does he mean by that?)
7. Dirk describes a few incidents he has known in his work that "smacked of Jules Verne." Describe them and discuss Dirk's attitude towards "ghost catching."
8. Why is the Starbuck's last reported position Top Secret information?
9. Dirk does not appreciate ADM Hunter's highhanded move to take control of his [Dirk's] life by having him detailed to his [ADM Hunter's] command. How is he "persuaded" into it?
10. What are some of the ways that Dirk knows that Summer is neither a government agent nor an American?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)