|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What words does LCDR Boland have tattooed on his arm?
(a) Be all that you can be.
(b) God Bless America.
(c) Bravery in Action.
(d) Death before dishonor.
2. How many consonants does the Hawaiian language have?
3. Why does Dirk argue that the Martha Ann's bevy of detection equipment may not keep her safe come nightfall?
(a) The fog that supposedly comes up at night may blind the sensors.
(b) Her sensors are blind in the dark.
(c) She has no defenses, the sailors carry no more than sidearms.
(d) Any electrical malfunction will leave her defenseless.
4. What smell is associated with the attack on the Lillie Marlene?
(d) Melting plastic.
5. How long does it take for Dirk to get the helicopter the Martha Ann is carrying from a cold start into the air?
(a) One hour.
(b) 90 seconds.
(c) 10 minutes.
(d) 40 seconds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is diving on a wrecked submarine different from a wrecked ship for Dirk?
2. What is the city of origin painted on the Martha Ann's hull?
3. What does "bare steerageway" mean?
4. Who is the narrator of Chapter 2?
5. How does Commander Dupree report the final resting place of the Starbuck?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Perhaps Pitt could do the impossible after all." These words go through Boland's mind after he hears that Pitt is radioing the Martha Ann from the Starbuck. There are several other references throughout the book so far that indicate Dirk has a reputation for being the sort of person who makes the wildly improbable succeed effortless. Who else has said this and where is that perception originating?
2. Why is LT March so resistant to the idea of entering the submarine?
3. Dirk does not appreciate ADM Hunter's highhanded move to take control of his [Dirk's] life by having him detailed to his [ADM Hunter's] command. How is he "persuaded" into it?
4. Why is ADM Hunter taking the step of having Dirk detailed officially to the 101st Salvage Fleet?
5. Boland refers to himself as "the skipper" of the Martha Ann. What is a skipper?
6. Why is it important for ADM Hunter's men to get to the accident site when the gray van runs off the road before the Honolulu police?
7. How does Cussler describe ADM Sandecker at the beginning of Chapter that makes him seem like a likely person to work with Dirk Pitt?
8. Dirk describes a few incidents he has known in his work that "smacked of Jules Verne." Describe them and discuss Dirk's attitude towards "ghost catching."
9. What are the different mysteries or questions that ADM Hunter enumerates as he reads the log?
10. What are some ways the Pacific Vortex is different from the Bermuda Triangle and other legendary danger areas?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)