|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What words does LCDR Boland have tattooed on his arm?
(a) Death before dishonor.
(b) Be all that you can be.
(c) God Bless America.
(d) Bravery in Action.
2. Who is the narrator of Chapter 2?
(a) ADM Hunter.
(b) LT Carter.
(c) Dirk Pratt.
(d) CDR Dupree.
3. What does the Marine guard at ADM Hunter's building on Pearl Harbor base ask Dirk for when he reports?
(a) His orders.
(b) His identification.
(c) Recommendations on a barber.
(d) His weapon.
4. Where is Dirk at the opening of the book?
(a) At Kaena Cove, Japan.
(b) Canea Bay, Phillippines.
(c) On a beach called Kaena Point, HI.
(d) On a volcano called Mount Kaena, HI.
5. How long does it take for Dirk to get the helicopter the Martha Ann is carrying from a cold start into the air?
(a) 40 seconds.
(b) 90 seconds.
(c) One hour.
(d) 10 minutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which seamen could have survived immediately after "the disaster" befell the Starbuck according to the logbook?
2. How is the Starbuck's reactor room different from previous nuclear submarines?
3. What is dangerous about Dirk's swim out to the object in the water?
4. Besides his direction on delivering his message, what is CDR Dupree's final request?
5. What is Dirk's plan of action on the Martha Ann with only two hours to go before dark falls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Boland refers to himself as "the skipper" of the Martha Ann. What is a skipper?
2. How does Adrian Hunter feel about her father? Use quotes from Chapter to support your position.
3. "Perhaps Pitt could do the impossible after all." These words go through Boland's mind after he hears that Pitt is radioing the Martha Ann from the Starbuck. There are several other references throughout the book so far that indicate Dirk has a reputation for being the sort of person who makes the wildly improbable succeed effortless. Who else has said this and where is that perception originating?
4. Dirk describes a few incidents he has known in his work that "smacked of Jules Verne." Describe them and discuss Dirk's attitude towards "ghost catching."
5. Other than the submarine not being wholly flooded, what is the single most important fact that Dirk relays over the Starbuck's radio to the Martha Ann and why is it of the utmost significance?
6. How are the dead bodies described on the Lillie Marlene? How does this description contribute to the myth of the Pacific Vortex?
7. What are the multiple ways that the Martha Ann is disguised as a civilian ship?
8. Cussler also provides good information about shark behavior and risks. What is it?
9. A gray Dodge van pursues Dirk and the driver of the van begins shooting at Dirk before attempting to run him off the road. Unravel the mystery. Who has the motive, knowledge, and opportunity to tip off "Them," whoever "They" might be, to Dirk's presence and interested activity?
10. What is the Fullerton Fracture Zone? Does it actually exist?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)