|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has it been since Dirk has had a vacation?
(a) Three years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Six months.
2. Why is one reason the Navy doesn't consider the Starbuck's commanding officer's last statement of position to be credible?
(a) They don't believe in the Pacific Vortex.
(b) They don't trust ADM Hunter.
(c) They believe Dirk is perpetrating a hoax.
(d) They believe the Russians planted the manuscript.
3. Why does Dirk argue that the Martha Ann's bevy of detection equipment may not keep her safe come nightfall?
(a) Any electrical malfunction will leave her defenseless.
(b) Her sensors are blind in the dark.
(c) She has no defenses, the sailors carry no more than sidearms.
(d) The fog that supposedly comes up at night may blind the sensors.
4. What does the message say that the NUMA zoologist received against a microphone he is using to record fish sounds?
(a) An equation for finding the water pressure at the depth the microphone is located.
(b) Directions to the nearest port.
(c) Einstein's relativity equation.
(d) A physical description of a coven of mermaids.
5. What weather phenomenon features in both the reports of the Lillie Marlene and the Starbuck?
(a) A maelstrom or vortex.
(b) A rogue wave.
(c) A waterspout.
(d) An isolated fog bank.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two most important things about the sub's condition that Dirk reports to Boland?
2. What is the city of origin painted on the Martha Ann's hull?
3. What does Dirk wear to report for his first day of duty with ADM Hunter?
4. How long can the reactor continue to run unattended?
5. What is Dirk's room number?
Short Essay Questions
1. "Perhaps Pitt could do the impossible after all." These words go through Boland's mind after he hears that Pitt is radioing the Martha Ann from the Starbuck. There are several other references throughout the book so far that indicate Dirk has a reputation for being the sort of person who makes the wildly improbable succeed effortless. Who else has said this and where is that perception originating?
2. In this first book of the Dirk Pitt series written by Clive Cussler, Cussler immediately begins giving hints as to Dirk's colorful personality. What are some of the incidents or statements in the first chapter that illustrate Dirk's character?
3. Dirk sees no need to show up on time to his "date" with ADM Hunter (to report for duty). How is this reflective of both Dirk's personality and his attitude towards ADM Hunter?
4. What is the significance of the Lillie Marlene?
5. What are the different mysteries or questions that ADM Hunter enumerates as he reads the log?
6. Why is the Starbuck's last reported position Top Secret information?
7. CDR Dupree says he ordered, "All ballast blown and hard rise on the planes." What are planes in reference to a submarine?
8. Why is Dirk's helicopter a necessary component of the crew on the Martha Ann?
9. What are some ways the Pacific Vortex is different from the Bermuda Triangle and other legendary danger areas?
10. What two things does the receptionist at ADM Hunter's office assume of Dirk Pitt when he arrives in his bathing suit?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)