|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the radio code for having found the Starbuck?
(a) "Stopped all engines to repair a burned shaft bearing."
(b) Nothing. Strict radio silence is essential.
(c) "Returning to base for repairs to starboard engine."
(d) "The cat's in the cradle."
2. What does George Papaaloa ask Dirk about progress on that that Dirk had recently been diving to find?
(a) The burial grounds of the Koolau tribe.
(b) The burial cave of King Kamehameha.
(c) Iolani Palace.
3. Why is the Starbuck's final position report physically impossible?
(a) The geo-coordinates put her position on land.
(b) There is no trace of the submarine at that position.
(c) The water is too shallow for her location.
(d) The submarine is not fast enough to have covered the mileage between her two last position reports.
4. What does the message say that the NUMA zoologist received against a microphone he is using to record fish sounds?
(a) An equation for finding the water pressure at the depth the microphone is located.
(b) A physical description of a coven of mermaids.
(c) Einstein's relativity equation.
(d) Directions to the nearest port.
5. Which seamen could have survived immediately after "the disaster" befell the Starbuck according to the logbook?
(a) LT Carter, SN Farris, and SN Metford.
(b) CDR Dupree, the ship's doctor and LT Carter.
(c) All of the ship's galley crew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ship is responsible for reporting the incident to the Lillie Marlene?
2. Who says "As long as there are seas, ships, and men, there will be strange unsolved mysteries."?
3. What does Dirk first do with the manuscript he finds?
4. Who is Adrian Hunter?
5. How does Commander Dupree report the final resting place of the Starbuck?
Short Essay Questions
1. CDR Dupree says he ordered, "All ballast blown and hard rise on the planes." What are planes in reference to a submarine?
2. What is the Fullerton Fracture Zone? Does it actually exist?
3. In this first book of the Dirk Pitt series written by Clive Cussler, Cussler immediately begins giving hints as to Dirk's colorful personality. What are some of the incidents or statements in the first chapter that illustrate Dirk's character?
4. Cussler gives a good description of rip tides after Dirk has swum out beyond the breakers at Kaena Point. Describe them, why they are dangerous and explain how best to swim through them if caught in one.
5. Dirk does not appreciate ADM Hunter's highhanded move to take control of his [Dirk's] life by having him detailed to his [ADM Hunter's] command. How is he "persuaded" into it?
6. How are the dead bodies described on the Lillie Marlene? How does this description contribute to the myth of the Pacific Vortex?
7. Dirk describes a few incidents he has known in his work that "smacked of Jules Verne." Describe them and discuss Dirk's attitude towards "ghost catching."
8. Why is Dirk's helicopter a necessary component of the crew on the Martha Ann?
9. What are the multiple ways that the Martha Ann is disguised as a civilian ship?
10. How does Cussler describe ADM Sandecker at the beginning of Chapter that makes him seem like a likely person to work with Dirk Pitt?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)