|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first year of record for missing ships in the Pacific Vortex?
2. Why does Dirk's gun do him no good in the shootout with the gray Dodge van that tails him after he leaves the museum?
(a) His aim is terrible.
(b) It is stolen out of his car.
(c) He never loaded the ammunition.
(d) He can't reach it.
3. Why does ADM Hunter think CDR Dupree ordered his captain's log delivered to him?
(a) CDR Dupree admired ADM Hunter.
(b) CDR Dupree does no such thing, those directions are added later.
(c) ADM Hunter does not know.
(d) CDR Dupree is hallucinating and imagined that ADM Hunter is nearby.
4. What is the weather as the Martha Ann gets underway?
(a) Air is warm, sky is clear, sea is calm.
(b) Red sky at night and gentle swells.
(c) Wind beginning to pick up, storm's coming.
(d) Ominously still with almost suspiciously flat seas.
5. How does Dirk suggest the captain's log from the Starbuck is forged?
(a) Using the actual captain's log, his correspondence and diary.
(b) Using a special tracing machine.
(c) By raiding his home for handwriting exemplars.
(d) By forcing the captain to write it using the threat of torture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two most important things about the sub's condition that Dirk reports to Boland?
2. What does the manuscript turn out to be?
3. How is the Starbuck's reactor room different from previous nuclear submarines?
4. What does Dirk start carrying before when he realizes the danger he has put himself in before reporting to Admiral Hunter?
5. How does Commander Dupree report the final resting place of the Starbuck?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the Lillie Marlene?
2. ADM Hunter refers to CDR Dupree as having a reputation for a computer-like mind. Going back to the prologue, what are some statements that support this view of Hunter's? (Dupree refers to "Annapolis." What does he mean by that?)
3. What is a seamount?
4. Boland refers to himself as "the skipper" of the Martha Ann. What is a skipper?
5. "Perhaps Pitt could do the impossible after all." These words go through Boland's mind after he hears that Pitt is radioing the Martha Ann from the Starbuck. There are several other references throughout the book so far that indicate Dirk has a reputation for being the sort of person who makes the wildly improbable succeed effortless. Who else has said this and where is that perception originating?
6. Why is ADM Hunter taking the step of having Dirk detailed officially to the 101st Salvage Fleet?
7. How does Adrian Hunter feel about her father? Use quotes from Chapter to support your position.
8. CDR Dupree says he ordered, "All ballast blown and hard rise on the planes." What are planes in reference to a submarine?
9. What are the multiple ways that the Martha Ann is disguised as a civilian ship?
10. What is the Fullerton Fracture Zone? Does it actually exist?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)