|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does George Papaaloa ask Dirk about progress on that that Dirk had recently been diving to find?
(a) The burial grounds of the Koolau tribe.
(c) Iolani Palace.
(d) The burial cave of King Kamehameha.
2. What is Dirk's new assignment now that he has read the submarine log and reported it?
(a) He is to help in the government cover-up of the loss of the Starbuck.
(b) He is go deep undercover to avoid any connection with the missing submarine.
(c) He is to investigate Russian activity that led to the loss of the Starbuck.
(d) He is to help in the salvage operation of the Starbuck.
3. What is the first year of record for missing ships in the Pacific Vortex?
4. How long does it take for Dirk to get the helicopter the Martha Ann is carrying from a cold start into the air?
(a) 90 seconds.
(b) One hour.
(c) 40 seconds.
(d) 10 minutes.
5. What does Dirk discover in Summer's hand when he goes to pick her up and take her back to the hotel?
(a) A syringe.
(b) A knife.
(c) His wallet.
(d) A hammer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two most important things about the sub's condition that Dirk reports to Boland?
2. How is the Starbuck's reactor room different from previous nuclear submarines?
3. Who is the author of the manuscript, excerpts of which are transcribed in Chapter 2?
4. What is the correct phrasing to ask someone to repeat their message or to indicate you are repeating your message?
5. Roughly how large is the Martha Ann in Dirk's estimate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the multiple ways that the Martha Ann is disguised as a civilian ship?
2. Why is it important for ADM Hunter's men to get to the accident site when the gray van runs off the road before the Honolulu police?
3. What is the significance of there not being any paper in the crew's lounge area of the Starbuck?
4. Dirk describes a few incidents he has known in his work that "smacked of Jules Verne." Describe them and discuss Dirk's attitude towards "ghost catching."
5. "Perhaps Pitt could do the impossible after all." These words go through Boland's mind after he hears that Pitt is radioing the Martha Ann from the Starbuck. There are several other references throughout the book so far that indicate Dirk has a reputation for being the sort of person who makes the wildly improbable succeed effortless. Who else has said this and where is that perception originating?
6. Cussler also provides good information about shark behavior and risks. What is it?
7. What are some ways the Pacific Vortex is different from the Bermuda Triangle and other legendary danger areas?
8. What are some of the ways that Dirk knows that Summer is neither a government agent nor an American?
9. A gray Dodge van pursues Dirk and the driver of the van begins shooting at Dirk before attempting to run him off the road. Unravel the mystery. Who has the motive, knowledge, and opportunity to tip off "Them," whoever "They" might be, to Dirk's presence and interested activity?
10. Other than the submarine not being wholly flooded, what is the single most important fact that Dirk relays over the Starbuck's radio to the Martha Ann and why is it of the utmost significance?
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)