|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What smell is associated with the attack on the Lillie Marlene?
(b) Melting plastic.
2. How is the Starbuck's reactor room different from previous nuclear submarines?
(a) It is located aft instead of forward.
(b) It is combined with the engine room and moved to the forward area of the boat.
(c) It is ten times smaller but the reactors are twenty times more powerful.
(d) It is lead shielded to protect the crew better.
3. When is strict radio silence imposed for a US Navy submarine?
(a) When in transit from missions.
(b) When the captain orders it.
(c) At all times.
(d) When a sub is on patrol or on station.
4. How long does it take Dirk to recover himself after Summer attacks him and he knocks her out enough to get them both back to his hotel room?
(a) 15 minutes.
(b) 10 minutes.
(c) Four minutes.
(d) One hour.
5. What does Dirk first do with the manuscript he finds?
(a) He reads it in its entirety.
(b) He puts it back where he found it.
(c) He tosses it in his knapsack for later.
(d) He reads half of it and then puts it away when he realizes it is not for his eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the correct phrasing to ask someone to repeat their message or to indicate you are repeating your message?
2. In spite of all of the odd people Dirk has met since the beginning of the book, who is it that still haunts him as he gets underway on the Martha Ann?
3. How is the boarding party killed according to the San Gabriel's report?
4. Who is Dirk initially talking to in the bar at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel?
5. What branch of the military does Dirk belong to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a seamount?
2. Why is ADM Hunter taking the step of having Dirk detailed officially to the 101st Salvage Fleet?
3. Why is the Martha Ann disguised to look like a rust-bucket merchant ship?
4. What two things does the receptionist at ADM Hunter's office assume of Dirk Pitt when he arrives in his bathing suit?
5. What is the significance of there not being any paper in the crew's lounge area of the Starbuck?
6. ADM Hunter refers to CDR Dupree as having a reputation for a computer-like mind. Going back to the prologue, what are some statements that support this view of Hunter's? (Dupree refers to "Annapolis." What does he mean by that?)
7. "Perhaps Pitt could do the impossible after all." These words go through Boland's mind after he hears that Pitt is radioing the Martha Ann from the Starbuck. There are several other references throughout the book so far that indicate Dirk has a reputation for being the sort of person who makes the wildly improbable succeed effortless. Who else has said this and where is that perception originating?
8. Dirk does not appreciate ADM Hunter's highhanded move to take control of his [Dirk's] life by having him detailed to his [ADM Hunter's] command. How is he "persuaded" into it?
9. Why is it important for ADM Hunter's men to get to the accident site when the gray van runs off the road before the Honolulu police?
10. Boland refers to himself as "the skipper" of the Martha Ann. What is a skipper?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)