|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unique feature of the <I>Martha Ann's</I> navigational equipment makes her totally crew-independent?
(a) She is entirely crew-dependent.
(b) Her central controls can be overridden remotely.
(c) She can be scuttled remotely in case of emergency.
(d) Her auto-pilot is interconnected with her GPS allowing her to navigate a pre-constructed route independently.
2. How does Dirk know that Summer is lying about her reasons for wanting information on Adrian Hunter?
(a) He finds papers on her that tell a different story.
(b) Adrian told him a different story.
(c) He doesn't, but he suspects that she is.
(d) He knows that Adrian does not have access to classified information.
3. What is "one of the finest undercover salvage operations in the world?"
(a) The Russian Special Undersea Operators Progam.
(b) The 101st Salvage Fleet, ADM Hunter's command.
(c) The Special Projects division of NUMA, Dirk Pitt's command.
(d) NUMA, ADM Sandecker's command.
4. What color is Summer's hair?
(a) Dirty blonde.
(c) Dark brown.
5. Who is the Chief Director of the Naval Underwater and Marine Agency?
(a) Admiral Leigh Hunter.
(b) Dirk Pitt.
(c) Captain Orl Cinana.
(d) Admiral James Sandecker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does ADM Sandecker say that Dirk is a security risk because he's read the manuscript?
2. What are the two most important things about the sub's condition that Dirk reports to Boland?
3. What unusual equipment does LT Stanley sight on the first wreck that the <I>Martha Ann</I> discovers?
4. What is the time lapse between the disaster that befell the ship and the beginning of the narrative that ADM Hunter relates?
5. How many distress signals have been received from ships that have gone down where the <I>Starbuck</I> is last reported?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does LT Robert Buckmaster discover at the old Army installation, which supposedly belongs to Delphi that partially explains the entirely unexpected fierce resistance to Marine's invasion? How might this situation have come to be?
2. CDR Dupree says he ordered, "All ballast blown and hard rise on the planes." What are planes in reference to a submarine?
3. A gray Dodge van pursues Dirk and the driver of the van begins shooting at Dirk before attempting to run him off the road. Unravel the mystery. Who has the motive, knowledge, and opportunity to tip off "Them," whoever "They" might be, to Dirk's presence and interested activity?
4. How do Summer's divided loyalties express themselves in their final moments in the doomed seamount as the missiles hit and the mountain begins to crumble?
5. Dirk notes some distinct oddities about the <I>Starbuck</I>'s final resting place and the condition. Describe what these oddities mean.
6. In both Chapters 9 and 10, Dirk endeavors to get his way by assuring the Naval men that he "will take full responsibility." Why does this seem to be the easiest way for Dirk to gain their compliance?
7. What does Dirk fear lays in store for the <I>Martha Ann</I>? What information is he now armed with that may help? What does he still not know that could be fatal?
8. What is a possible explanation for the food being gone after only five days? (Remember ADM Hunter makes it clear that they recently left port and should have enough for the entire crew for 90 days.)
9. How does Adrian Hunter feel about her father? Use quotes from Chapter to support your position.
10. Acting on a hunch, Dirk goes to the Polynesian history museum to visit a friend well versed in the history and culture of the Hawaiian and Pacific Islands. Why?
This section contains 1,405 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)