|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the time lapse between the disaster that befell the ship and the beginning of the narrative that ADM Hunter relates?
(a) Five days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Six months.
2. What is the city of origin painted on the Martha Ann's hull?
3. What is Dirk's military rank?
(a) Lieutenant Colonel.
4. How does Summer escape Dirk's hotel room?
(a) By knotting towels together and escaping out the window.
(b) By threatening Dirk with a gun.
(c) By threatening to call the police.
(d) By knocking Dirk out and running.
5. What is the radio code for having found the Starbuck?
(a) "Stopped all engines to repair a burned shaft bearing."
(b) "Returning to base for repairs to starboard engine."
(c) "The cat's in the cradle."
(d) Nothing. Strict radio silence is essential.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Admiral Hunter know that Dirk has never served on a submarine?
2. What is Barf the Magic Dragon?
3. How does the Starbuck hit the seafloor?
4. What does Dirk discover in Summer's hand when he goes to pick her up and take her back to the hotel?
5. What is Dirk's new assignment now that he has read the submarine log and reported it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the multiple ways that the Martha Ann is disguised as a civilian ship?
2. Dirk sees no need to show up on time to his "date" with ADM Hunter (to report for duty). How is this reflective of both Dirk's personality and his attitude towards ADM Hunter?
3. Other than the submarine not being wholly flooded, what is the single most important fact that Dirk relays over the Starbuck's radio to the Martha Ann and why is it of the utmost significance?
4. Why is LT March so resistant to the idea of entering the submarine?
5. CDR Dupree says he ordered, "All ballast blown and hard rise on the planes." What are planes in reference to a submarine?
6. What are some of the ways that Dirk knows that Summer is neither a government agent nor an American?
7. What is the significance of there not being any paper in the crew's lounge area of the Starbuck?
8. Cussler also provides good information about shark behavior and risks. What is it?
9. How does Cussler describe ADM Sandecker at the beginning of Chapter that makes him seem like a likely person to work with Dirk Pitt?
10. Why is ADM Hunter taking the step of having Dirk detailed officially to the 101st Salvage Fleet?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)