|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lavella?
(a) A mathematician who specialized in ocean current prediction.
(b) A physicist who specialized in hydrology.
(c) A marine biologist who specialized in gill evolution.
(d) A geologist who specialized in underwater topography.
2. Which friend of her father's does Adrian admit to Dirk she has been sleeping with?
(a) CDR Denver.
(b) LCDR Boland.
(c) CAPT Cinana.
(d) ADM Sandecker.
3. Who or what is Mad Chopper?
(a) Dirk's helo crew standing by.
(b) Crowhaven's plan B.
(c) ADM Hunter when he's angry.
(d) LT Buckmaster's team.
4. How is Dirk's death intended to appear?
(a) Accidental drowning.
(b) Like he eloped with Adrian.
(c) As though he vanished of his own free will after accepting money for secrets.
(d) Like a mob hit.
5. How does Adrian escape when the men from the sea come ashore and kill her friend?
(a) Through a two-way closet.
(b) Through a connecting bathroom.
(c) Out the window.
(d) Through a trapdoor under the bed.
6. What s the first indication that the Martha Ann is in danger at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Sudden radio silence.
(b) A continuous thumping sound coming from the bottom of the hull.
(c) Sudden change in sea state.
(d) A thick fog coming up from the ocean surface.
7. Where does Dirk land the helicopter after evacuating the Martha Ann?
(a) Pearl Harbor.
(b) The neatly manicured front lawn of ADM Hunter's home.
(c) Hickam Field airport.
(d) The military hospital on Oahu.
8. Who is Henry Fujima?
(a) A friend of George Papaaloa.
(b) A Hawaiian fisherman who is run over by a ship in the beginning of Chapter 12.
(c) The doctor who takes charge of SN Farris back at Pearl Harbor.
(d) A Hawaiian historian who tells Dirk about tuna fishing in the Pacific.
9. What does Dirk discover attached to the handrail on the side of the ship at the battle between the Martha Ann's crew and the men from the sea?
(a) A ramp.
(b) A grappling hook.
(c) A jacob's ladder.
(d) A floating line.
10. Why does Delphi let SN Farris live?
(a) He enjoys torturing the man.
(b) He wants to lure the Navy back with the hopes of a survivor.
(c) He hopes Farris would train his men to work the submarine.
(d) Farris offers to help Delphi.
11. What does Boland want Dirk to do before the invasion of the Martha Ann begins?
(a) Help him scuttle the Martha Ann.
(b) Take the helo and report to ADM Hunter.
(c) Get him and his crew off the ship.
(d) Help him arm the crew.
12. What new ship do Dirk and Al discover while on their underwater mission?
(a) The Sampan.
(b) An unknown Japanese submarine.
(c) The Andrei Vyborg.
(d) The Hans Zimmer.
13. What argument does Summer use to convince Delphi not to shoot Al and Dirk inside the seamount?
(a) That she loves Dirk.
(b) That he should not being death and bloodshed within his home.
(c) That the blood will stain the floor.
(d) That she's afraid of guns.
14. What is the reason for the eucalyptus oil?
(a) Air freshener and dehydrator.
(b) Used as fuel for the generators.
(c) It's not eucalyptus but a seaweed that generates the same odor.
(d) Perfume for the women on the seamount.
15. How does SN Farris react to the battle raging around him on the Martha Ann?
(a) He engages in the gun battle, relieved to be able to vent some of his anger at the men from the sea.
(b) He is having a panic attack as he relives the horror of what happened to the
(c) He is dazedly unconcerned, almost disconnected from reality.
(d) He is asleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the giant with the golden eyes select Dirk to be the messenger of the capsule?
2. What is Delphi's relationship to Frederick Moran?
3. What is Boland's reaction to the news that March is dead?
4. What does Roblemann invent?
5. How long has the giant with the golden eyes been keeping tabs on Dirk's activities?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)