|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Boland want Dirk to do before the invasion of the Martha Ann begins?
(a) Get him and his crew off the ship.
(b) Take the helo and report to ADM Hunter.
(c) Help him arm the crew.
(d) Help him scuttle the Martha Ann.
2. What replacement weapon does Dirk grab after having expended his single shot weapon?
(a) A spear gun.
(b) LT March's gun.
(c) A diver's knife.
(d) A small glove-shaped pistol.
3. Who wakes up Dirk after he reaches his hotel room and falls asleep after leaving the hospital?
(a) CAPT Orl Cinana.
(b) ADM Hunter.
(c) ADM Sandecker.
(d) Adrian Hunter.
4. How many of Delphi's men does Crowhaven's team kill?
5. What does Dirk determine is the real cause of the school of fish detected by the Martha Ann's sensors?
(a) Sharks in a feeding frenzy.
(c) A decoy to distract them from the boarding team.
(d) A deliberate hijacking of the sensor's signal.
6. Why does Delphi let SN Farris live?
(a) He wants to lure the Navy back with the hopes of a survivor.
(b) He hopes Farris would train his men to work the submarine.
(c) He enjoys torturing the man.
(d) Farris offers to help Delphi.
7. What is the size of the school of fish the Martha Ann's sensors detect as they prepare to escape the Pacific Vortex area?
(a) About 500, all identically sized.
(b) About 2,000, roughly 2-3 feet in length each.
(c) About 200, roughly 5-7 feet in length each.
(d) About 50, ranging from 3 to 10 feet each.
8. Dirk and Al leave the rescue team to salvage the Starbuck while they go to do what?
(a) Find the entrance to the seamount and rescue Adrian Hunter.
(b) Keep watch for Delphi's men.
(c) Arrest Delphi.
(d) Find Summer Moran.
9. How does Adrian escape when the men from the sea come ashore and kill her friend?
(a) Through a trapdoor under the bed.
(b) Through a two-way closet.
(c) Out the window.
(d) Through a connecting bathroom.
10. What new ship do Dirk and Al discover while on their underwater mission?
(a) The Andrei Vyborg.
(b) The Hans Zimmer.
(c) The Sampan.
(d) An unknown Japanese submarine.
11. What causes the current that injures Dirk and Al?
(a) Power turbine's exhaust current.
(b) Underwater vortex suction.
(c) Delphi's protective current barrier, similar in function to a moat around a castle.
(d) Natural underwater river.
12. How does the Starbuck break free of the ocean floor?
(a) A sudden cold water upwelling.
(b) Shock waves from the Monitor's missile strike.
(c) Aftershocks from a spontaneous undersea earthquake.
13. Why is Dirk's and Al's mission time-critical?
(a) Because Delphi may escape.
(b) Because they will run out of air.
(c) Because the plan is to blow up the seamount and the end of the planned time, whether or not the rescue succeeds.
(d) Because Dirk is afraid Summer will be killed.
14. Who is "Big Daddy?"
(a) Code-name for the Starbuck rescue team.
(b) The group of Navy SEALS on the rescue team.
(c) Dirk's nickname for Al Giordino.
(d) Code-name for ADM Hunter back in Pearl Harbor.
15. How does Dirk discover LT March after he realizes they are not alone on the submarine?
(a) Wounded, he's been stabbed.
(b) Dead, he's been shot.
(c) Dirk cannot find him.
(d) Hiding and wounded.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has been Delphi's informant in the Navy?
2. What is the rescue schedule for the Starbuck when Dirk, Al and the Navy team return to the Pacifc Vortex?
3. What is the reason for the eucalyptus oil?
4. What s the first indication that the Martha Ann is in danger at the beginning of Chapter 11?
5. What does "noncom" mean as it is used in the beginning of Chapter 10?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)