|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Delphi's transmitter that allows him to jam radio signals?
(a) On a sandbar 20 nautical miles northwest of Kauai.
(b) On the island of Maui at an abandoned Army installation.
(c) On Midway Island, in a remote corner of one of the uninhabited islands in the atoll.
(d) In downtown Honolulu, on top of a skyscraper.
2. What is the reason for the eucalyptus oil?
(a) Perfume for the women on the seamount.
(b) It's not eucalyptus but a seaweed that generates the same odor.
(c) Used as fuel for the generators.
(d) Air freshener and dehydrator.
3. What does Dirk determine is the real cause of the school of fish detected by the Martha Ann's sensors?
(a) Sharks in a feeding frenzy.
(b) A deliberate hijacking of the sensor's signal.
(c) A decoy to distract them from the boarding team.
4. Why is Dirk's and Al's mission time-critical?
(a) Because the plan is to blow up the seamount and the end of the planned time, whether or not the rescue succeeds.
(b) Because Delphi may escape.
(c) Because they will run out of air.
(d) Because Dirk is afraid Summer will be killed.
5. What does Dirk omit from his report on the fight against Them in his hotel room?
(a) Summer's involvement.
(b) Adrian's story.
(c) His anticipation of the attack.
(d) The plan to make his death look accidental.
6. What does Boland want Dirk to do before the invasion of the Martha Ann begins?
(a) Take the helo and report to ADM Hunter.
(b) Help him scuttle the Martha Ann.
(c) Help him arm the crew.
(d) Get him and his crew off the ship.
7. The Martha Ann has 20 feet of freeboard, making attack from the surface difficult according to LCDR Boland. What is freeboard?
(a) The ship's height from water surface to the top of her superstructure.
(b) The lip of the deck that juts out over the hull.
(c) The distance from the first deck of the ship to the surface of the water.
(d) The ladders over the side of her hull.
8. Why doesn't Pearl Harbor know what has been happening with the Martha Ann and the finding of the Starbuck intact?
(a) All radio signals in the area are being jammed.
(b) The radios have becomes mysteriously inoperable since they arrived at the Pacific Vortex.
(c) The Martha Ann has been using the wrong frequency.
(d) LCDR Boland has not sent any messages.
9. What is the first visible evidence of the real nature of "Them?"
(a) Dirk sees a shadow outline of one which appears to have a tail and webbed feet.
(b) The guard that Dirk kills turns out to be a normal human man.
(c) The man Dirk kills appears to have evolved gills.
(d) Dirk finds evidence of human habitation in the crew's quarters.
10. How does Dirk finally break Delphi's facade of cool indifference?
(a) By refusing to acknowledge his own danger and physical suffering.
(b) By pretending not to know Al.
(c) By insulting Summer.
(d) By calling him out as a phony.
11. How is the rescue team tracking the submarine's location?
(a) Using a chart and the geo-coordinates Boland marked.
(b) Using a metal detector.
(c) Following the line of the flag buoy Boland left in place.
(d) Using the electronic marker Boland placed from the Martha Ann.
12. Dirk and Al leave the rescue team to salvage the Starbuck while they go to do what?
(a) Find Summer Moran.
(b) Keep watch for Delphi's men.
(c) Arrest Delphi.
(d) Find the entrance to the seamount and rescue Adrian Hunter.
13. What does Dirk do for Al's injured hand?
(a) He gives him his swim trunks as a bandage.
(c) He uses a scrap of Summer's dress to make a tourniquet.
(d) He wraps it in seaweed.
14. How does Crowhaven manage to get in touch with ADM Hunter?
(a) By calling the Coast Guard.
(b) Via a commercial radio station in Honolulu.
(c) Using Morse code through a late night ham radio operator.
(d) Via the NWS weather radio frequency.
15. What smell does Dirk suddenly recognize as the fog begins to envelop the Martha Ann?
(c) Melting plastic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Henry Fujima?
2. Who wakes up Dirk after he reaches his hotel room and falls asleep after leaving the hospital?
3. Who has been Delphi's informant in the Navy?
4. What is the plan for the plane the rescue team flies out to the Pacific Vortex?
5. What is holding the Starbuck down?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)