|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Henry Fujima?
(a) A Hawaiian fisherman who is run over by a ship in the beginning of Chapter 12.
(b) A friend of George Papaaloa.
(c) The doctor who takes charge of SN Farris back at Pearl Harbor.
(d) A Hawaiian historian who tells Dirk about tuna fishing in the Pacific.
2. Who wakes up Dirk after he reaches his hotel room and falls asleep after leaving the hospital?
(a) ADM Sandecker.
(b) Adrian Hunter.
(c) CAPT Orl Cinana.
(d) ADM Hunter.
3. The Martha Ann has 20 feet of freeboard, making attack from the surface difficult according to LCDR Boland. What is freeboard?
(a) The distance from the first deck of the ship to the surface of the water.
(b) The lip of the deck that juts out over the hull.
(c) The ladders over the side of her hull.
(d) The ship's height from water surface to the top of her superstructure.
4. What does SN Farris tell Dirk "They" will do if he uses the radio?
(a) Learn how to use it from watching him.
(b) Destroy the sub.
(c) Kill Dirk.
(d) Kill SN Farris.
5. Who is "Big Daddy?"
(a) Code-name for ADM Hunter back in Pearl Harbor.
(b) Code-name for the Starbuck rescue team.
(c) The group of Navy SEALS on the rescue team.
(d) Dirk's nickname for Al Giordino.
6. Who are the two men waiting for Dirk in the torpedo room as he tries to escape the submarine with SN Farris?
(b) Crewmembers from the Martha Ann.
(c) Boland and Denver.
(d) CDR Dupree and another of the Starbuck's crew.
7. Who is Summer?
(a) Adrian's sister.
(b) Delphi's wife.
(c) Delphi's daughter.
(d) CAPT Cinana's other mistress.
8. What does Dirk discover attached to the handrail on the side of the ship at the battle between the Martha Ann's crew and the men from the sea?
(a) A jacob's ladder.
(b) A floating line.
(c) A ramp.
(d) A grappling hook.
9. How long has the giant with the golden eyes been keeping tabs on Dirk's activities?
(a) For the last twenty-four hours.
(b) Since the day he picked up the capsule.
10. What makes the fog associated with the Pacific Vortex so odd?
(a) The color is wrong.
(b) There is nothing odd or different about it, other than its there.
(c) The weather conditions are wrong for fog.
(d) There is a thick almost oily texture to the mist.
11. Why doesn't Pearl Harbor know what has been happening with the Martha Ann and the finding of the Starbuck intact?
(a) The radios have becomes mysteriously inoperable since they arrived at the Pacific Vortex.
(b) All radio signals in the area are being jammed.
(c) The Martha Ann has been using the wrong frequency.
(d) LCDR Boland has not sent any messages.
12. What is holding the Starbuck down?
(a) Lack of power.
(b) Chains Delphi used to anchor her.
(c) Seafloor suction.
(d) Lack of ballast.
13. How is the rescue team tracking the submarine's location?
(a) Using the electronic marker Boland placed from the Martha Ann.
(b) Following the line of the flag buoy Boland left in place.
(c) Using a chart and the geo-coordinates Boland marked.
(d) Using a metal detector.
14. How does Dirk finally break Delphi's facade of cool indifference?
(a) By calling him out as a phony.
(b) By insulting Summer.
(c) By pretending not to know Al.
(d) By refusing to acknowledge his own danger and physical suffering.
15. What is the rescue schedule for the Starbuck when Dirk, Al and the Navy team return to the Pacifc Vortex?
(a) 10 hours.
(b) Two hours and 45 minutes.
(c) Four and a half hours.
(d) 90 minutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the plan for the plane the rescue team flies out to the Pacific Vortex?
2. What does Dirk do for Al's injured hand?
3. How many of Them attack Dirk and Adrian?
4. How many of Delphi's men does Crowhaven's team kill?
5. How does SN Farris react to the battle raging around him on the Martha Ann?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)