|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which friend of her father's does Adrian admit to Dirk she has been sleeping with?
(a) CAPT Cinana.
(b) LCDR Boland.
(c) CDR Denver.
(d) ADM Sandecker.
2. What does SN Farris tell Dirk "They" will do if he uses the radio?
(a) Destroy the sub.
(b) Kill SN Farris.
(c) Kill Dirk.
(d) Learn how to use it from watching him.
3. What is Delphi's relationship to Frederick Moran?
(a) Delphi is his son.
(b) He is not a blood relative but they are partners.
(c) Delphi is his brother.
(d) Delphi and Frederick Moran are not relatd.
4. What does Dirk determine is the real cause of the school of fish detected by the Martha Ann's sensors?
(a) Sharks in a feeding frenzy.
(b) A decoy to distract them from the boarding team.
(d) A deliberate hijacking of the sensor's signal.
5. What does Dirk omit from his report on the fight against Them in his hotel room?
(a) His anticipation of the attack.
(b) Summer's involvement.
(c) The plan to make his death look accidental.
(d) Adrian's story.
6. What makes the fog associated with the Pacific Vortex so odd?
(a) The weather conditions are wrong for fog.
(b) There is a thick almost oily texture to the mist.
(c) There is nothing odd or different about it, other than its there.
(d) The color is wrong.
7. How does Adrian escape when the men from the sea come ashore and kill her friend?
(a) Through a two-way closet.
(b) Through a trapdoor under the bed.
(c) Out the window.
(d) Through a connecting bathroom.
8. What is Boland's reaction to the news that March is dead?
(a) "I'll tell his mother."
(b) "This is your fault Dirk."
(c) "These things happen."
(d) "How could you let him die?"
9. Who is Henry Fujima?
(a) A Hawaiian fisherman who is run over by a ship in the beginning of Chapter 12.
(b) A Hawaiian historian who tells Dirk about tuna fishing in the Pacific.
(c) A friend of George Papaaloa.
(d) The doctor who takes charge of SN Farris back at Pearl Harbor.
10. How does Al prevent Delphi's gun from killing Dirk?
(a) He puts his finger between the hammer and the striker pin.
(b) He jams the trigger, preventing it from being pulled back.
(c) He secretly unloads the ammunition when Delphi is distracted.
(d) He sticks his finger in the gun barrel.
11. What two scientists does Dirk report to when he arrives at Pearl Harbor after the attack in his hotel room?
(a) Doctors Lavella and Roblemann.
(b) Doctors Ford and Newce.
(c) Doctors Chrysler and York.
(d) Doctors Trinidad and Goldman.
12. What is the rescue schedule for the Starbuck when Dirk, Al and the Navy team return to the Pacifc Vortex?
(a) Two hours and 45 minutes.
(b) 90 minutes.
(c) Four and a half hours.
(d) 10 hours.
13. What does Dirk direct should be done to the Starbuck's torpedo room as they escape?
(a) Flood it.
(b) Arm the torpedoes.
(c) Tear a hole in the hull.
(d) Drain it.
14. How is Dirk's death intended to appear?
(a) As though he vanished of his own free will after accepting money for secrets.
(b) Accidental drowning.
(c) Like a mob hit.
(d) Like he eloped with Adrian.
15. Why does the giant with the golden eyes select Dirk to be the messenger of the capsule?
(a) Respect and a desire to draw him into the game.
(b) To match his wits against Dirk's for fun.
(c) Impact and believability.
(d) To expose Dirk's prior relationship with Adrian to the ADM.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "noncom" mean as it is used in the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. What causes the current that injures Dirk and Al?
3. How many men escape with Dirk on the helicopter from the Martha Ann?
4. What does Dirk discover attached to the handrail on the side of the ship at the battle between the Martha Ann's crew and the men from the sea?
5. What threat does Dirk face being left behind as as the others ride the air bubble from the Starbuck's escape hatch to the surface?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)