|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Frederick Moran die?
(a) Delphi shoots him when he becomes too old to serve Delphi's evil purpose any longer.
(b) He dies of a heart attack at age 76.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) He drowns when a pump fails and the tunnel floods.
2. What two scientists does Dirk report to when he arrives at Pearl Harbor after the attack in his hotel room?
(a) Doctors Trinidad and Goldman.
(b) Doctors Chrysler and York.
(c) Doctors Ford and Newce.
(d) Doctors Lavella and Roblemann.
3. Who is Al Giordino?
(a) The Assistant Special Projects Director at NUMA.
(b) The owner of a charter plane company on Hawaii.
(c) ADM Sandecker's boss.
(d) An adventurer for hire.
4. Who is Summer?
(a) Delphi's daughter.
(b) CAPT Cinana's other mistress.
(c) Adrian's sister.
(d) Delphi's wife.
5. What happens to the radio communications between Big Daddy and the Kid?
(a) ADM Hunter makes an executive decision to maintain radio silence until the final hour.
(b) The signal is lost due to an electrical storm.
(c) Delphi's transmitter intercepts the signal.
(d) Kid's radio fails.
6. How is the rescue team tracking the submarine's location?
(a) Following the line of the flag buoy Boland left in place.
(b) Using a metal detector.
(c) Using a chart and the geo-coordinates Boland marked.
(d) Using the electronic marker Boland placed from the Martha Ann.
7. What does Dirk discover on the bodies of two the men from the sea that he kills?
(a) Green skin and hair.
(b) A small plastic box adhered to their chests.
(c) Webbed hands and feet.
8. What is the size of the school of fish the Martha Ann's sensors detect as they prepare to escape the Pacific Vortex area?
(a) About 500, all identically sized.
(b) About 2,000, roughly 2-3 feet in length each.
(c) About 200, roughly 5-7 feet in length each.
(d) About 50, ranging from 3 to 10 feet each.
9. What is the reason for the eucalyptus oil?
(a) Perfume for the women on the seamount.
(b) It's not eucalyptus but a seaweed that generates the same odor.
(c) Used as fuel for the generators.
(d) Air freshener and dehydrator.
10. How long has the giant with the golden eyes been keeping tabs on Dirk's activities?
(a) Since the day he picked up the capsule.
(c) For the last twenty-four hours.
11. What does Boland want Dirk to do before the invasion of the Martha Ann begins?
(a) Get him and his crew off the ship.
(b) Help him arm the crew.
(c) Help him scuttle the Martha Ann.
(d) Take the helo and report to ADM Hunter.
12. Who does Dirk report the attack on Adrian to?
(a) ADM Hunter.
(b) The hotel security team.
(c) The Pearl Harbor Shore Patrol.
(d) The Honolulu police.
13. What threat does Dirk face being left behind as as the others ride the air bubble from the Starbuck's escape hatch to the surface?
(a) A great white shark.
(b) A hammerhead shark.
(c) One of Them coming to relieve the previous guards.
(d) Running out of air before he can reach the surface.
14. Who or what is Mad Chopper?
(a) Crowhaven's plan B.
(b) LT Buckmaster's team.
(c) ADM Hunter when he's angry.
(d) Dirk's helo crew standing by.
15. How does Dirk finally break Delphi's facade of cool indifference?
(a) By calling him out as a phony.
(b) By pretending not to know Al.
(c) By insulting Summer.
(d) By refusing to acknowledge his own danger and physical suffering.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first visible evidence of the real nature of "Them?"
2. What s the first indication that the Martha Ann is in danger at the beginning of Chapter 11?
3. What does Dirk determine is the real cause of the school of fish detected by the Martha Ann's sensors?
4. What does Roblemann invent?
5. Who is LT Robert Buckmaster?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)