|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many of Delphi's men does Crowhaven's team kill?
2. What causes the current that injures Dirk and Al?
(a) Natural underwater river.
(b) Delphi's protective current barrier, similar in function to a moat around a castle.
(c) Power turbine's exhaust current.
(d) Underwater vortex suction.
3. Who is Al Giordino?
(a) ADM Sandecker's boss.
(b) The owner of a charter plane company on Hawaii.
(c) An adventurer for hire.
(d) The Assistant Special Projects Director at NUMA.
4. Dirk and Al leave the rescue team to salvage the Starbuck while they go to do what?
(a) Find the entrance to the seamount and rescue Adrian Hunter.
(b) Keep watch for Delphi's men.
(c) Find Summer Moran.
(d) Arrest Delphi.
5. Who is Henry Fujima?
(a) A Hawaiian historian who tells Dirk about tuna fishing in the Pacific.
(b) A Hawaiian fisherman who is run over by a ship in the beginning of Chapter 12.
(c) A friend of George Papaaloa.
(d) The doctor who takes charge of SN Farris back at Pearl Harbor.
6. Who has been Delphi's informant in the Navy?
(a) CDR Burdette Denver.
(b) Adrian Hunter.
(c) CAPT Orl Cinana.
(d) LCDR Paul Boland.
7. What does SN Farris tell Dirk "They" will do if he uses the radio?
(a) Learn how to use it from watching him.
(b) Kill Dirk.
(c) Destroy the sub.
(d) Kill SN Farris.
8. Why is Dirk's and Al's mission time-critical?
(a) Because they will run out of air.
(b) Because the plan is to blow up the seamount and the end of the planned time, whether or not the rescue succeeds.
(c) Because Delphi may escape.
(d) Because Dirk is afraid Summer will be killed.
9. What does Dirk discover on the bodies of two the men from the sea that he kills?
(a) A small plastic box adhered to their chests.
(b) Webbed hands and feet.
(d) Green skin and hair.
10. Why does Delphi let SN Farris live?
(a) He hopes Farris would train his men to work the submarine.
(b) He enjoys torturing the man.
(c) Farris offers to help Delphi.
(d) He wants to lure the Navy back with the hopes of a survivor.
11. What does "noncom" mean as it is used in the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Non-communicative, meaning unable or unwilling to speak.
(b) Not-in-compliance, meaning the person or vessel is not obeying instructions.
(c) Non-commissioned, meaning not an officer.
(d) Non-commissioned, meaning not an authorized Naval vessel.
12. How many of Them attack Dirk and Adrian?
13. How does Crowhaven manage to get in touch with ADM Hunter?
(a) By calling the Coast Guard.
(b) Using Morse code through a late night ham radio operator.
(c) Via a commercial radio station in Honolulu.
(d) Via the NWS weather radio frequency.
14. What does Dirk determine is the real cause of the school of fish detected by the Martha Ann's sensors?
(b) A deliberate hijacking of the sensor's signal.
(c) Sharks in a feeding frenzy.
(d) A decoy to distract them from the boarding team.
15. Who or what is Mad Chopper?
(a) Crowhaven's plan B.
(b) LT Buckmaster's team.
(c) Dirk's helo crew standing by.
(d) ADM Hunter when he's angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two scientists does Dirk report to when he arrives at Pearl Harbor after the attack in his hotel room?
2. Where is Delphi's transmitter that allows him to jam radio signals?
3. Who is Summer's mother?
4. What does Dirk discover attached to the handrail on the side of the ship at the battle between the Martha Ann's crew and the men from the sea?
5. How does Dirk finally break Delphi's facade of cool indifference?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)