|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two scientists does Dirk report to when he arrives at Pearl Harbor after the attack in his hotel room?
(a) Doctors Ford and Newce.
(b) Doctors Trinidad and Goldman.
(c) Doctors Chrysler and York.
(d) Doctors Lavella and Roblemann.
2. What causes the current that injures Dirk and Al?
(a) Natural underwater river.
(b) Delphi's protective current barrier, similar in function to a moat around a castle.
(c) Underwater vortex suction.
(d) Power turbine's exhaust current.
3. How does Summer escape the seamount?
(a) She is rescued by the <I>Starbuck</I> .
(b) She swims, carrying Dirk who is too injured to move.
(c) Dirk carries her to the surface.
(d) She doesn't.
4. What does Roblemann invent?
(a) A combination gill-lung that surgically attached to a human's chest.
(b) A gene therapy that would allow humans to develop webbed hands and feet.
(c) An underwater pump system big enough for a seamount.
(d) A prosthetic fin for human use.
5. Where does Dirk land the helicopter after evacuating the Martha Ann?
(a) Pearl Harbor.
(b) The military hospital on Oahu.
(c) The neatly manicured front lawn of ADM Hunter's home.
(d) Hickam Field airport.
6. Who arrives on the comm deck as Dirk is communicating to the Martha Ann and LCDR Boland?
(a) LT March.
(c) SN Farris.
(d) CDR Dupree.
7. Who is Lavella?
(a) A mathematician who specialized in ocean current prediction.
(b) A marine biologist who specialized in gill evolution.
(c) A geologist who specialized in underwater topography.
(d) A physicist who specialized in hydrology.
8. Which friend of her father's does Adrian admit to Dirk she has been sleeping with?
(a) LCDR Boland.
(b) ADM Sandecker.
(c) CDR Denver.
(d) CAPT Cinana.
9. How does Al prevent Delphi's gun from killing Dirk?
(a) He secretly unloads the ammunition when Delphi is distracted.
(b) He sticks his finger in the gun barrel.
(c) He puts his finger between the hammer and the striker pin.
(d) He jams the trigger, preventing it from being pulled back.
10. How does Adrian escape when the men from the sea come ashore and kill her friend?
(a) Through a two-way closet.
(b) Out the window.
(c) Through a connecting bathroom.
(d) Through a trapdoor under the bed.
11. What does "noncom" mean as it is used in the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Non-communicative, meaning unable or unwilling to speak.
(b) Non-commissioned, meaning not an officer.
(c) Non-commissioned, meaning not an authorized Naval vessel.
(d) Not-in-compliance, meaning the person or vessel is not obeying instructions.
12. Who is LT Robert Buckmaster?
(a) Head of Shore Patrol at Pearl Harbor.
(b) The Marine officer in charge of taking the transmitter station.
(c) A former navy officer who defected to Delphi.
(d) Crowhaven's nav officer.
13. What does Dirk discover on the bodies of two the men from the sea that he kills?
(a) Webbed hands and feet.
(b) Green skin and hair.
(d) A small plastic box adhered to their chests.
14. Why does Delphi let SN Farris live?
(a) He hopes Farris would train his men to work the submarine.
(b) He enjoys torturing the man.
(c) He wants to lure the Navy back with the hopes of a survivor.
(d) Farris offers to help Delphi.
15. How does Dirk finally break Delphi's facade of cool indifference?
(a) By pretending not to know Al.
(b) By refusing to acknowledge his own danger and physical suffering.
(c) By calling him out as a phony.
(d) By insulting Summer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dirk omit from his report on the fight against Them in his hotel room?
2. How is Dirk's death intended to appear?
3. What happens to the radio communications between Big Daddy and the Kid?
4. What new ship do Dirk and Al discover while on their underwater mission?
5. How does SN Farris react to the battle raging around him on the <I>Martha Ann</I>?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)