|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dirk discover on the bodies of two the men from the sea that he kills?
(a) Webbed hands and feet.
(c) Green skin and hair.
(d) A small plastic box adhered to their chests.
2. How does Dirk finally break Delphi's facade of cool indifference?
(a) By refusing to acknowledge his own danger and physical suffering.
(b) By insulting Summer.
(c) By pretending not to know Al.
(d) By calling him out as a phony.
3. Who is LT Robert Buckmaster?
(a) Head of Shore Patrol at Pearl Harbor.
(b) Crowhaven's nav officer.
(c) The Marine officer in charge of taking the transmitter station.
(d) A former navy officer who defected to Delphi.
4. What happens to the radio communications between Big Daddy and the Kid?
(a) ADM Hunter makes an executive decision to maintain radio silence until the final hour.
(b) The signal is lost due to an electrical storm.
(c) Kid's radio fails.
(d) Delphi's transmitter intercepts the signal.
5. Who is Henry Fujima?
(a) A Hawaiian historian who tells Dirk about tuna fishing in the Pacific.
(b) The doctor who takes charge of SN Farris back at Pearl Harbor.
(c) A friend of George Papaaloa.
(d) A Hawaiian fisherman who is run over by a ship in the beginning of Chapter 12.
6. What argument does Summer use to convince Delphi not to shoot Al and Dirk inside the seamount?
(a) That she loves Dirk.
(b) That she's afraid of guns.
(c) That the blood will stain the floor.
(d) That he should not being death and bloodshed within his home.
7. How does SN Farris react to the battle raging around him on the <I>Martha Ann</I>?
(a) He engages in the gun battle, relieved to be able to vent some of his anger at the men from the sea.
(b) He is having a panic attack as he relives the horror of what happened to the <I<>Starbuck</I>.
(c) He is asleep.
(d) He is dazedly unconcerned, almost disconnected from reality.
8. How does the <I>Starbuck</I> break free of the ocean floor?
(a) Shock waves from the Monitor's missile strike.
(b) A sudden cold water upwelling.
(d) Aftershocks from a spontaneous undersea earthquake.
9. What is holding the Starbuck down?
(a) Chains Delphi used to anchor her.
(b) Lack of power.
(c) Seafloor suction.
(d) Lack of ballast.
10. What does "noncom" mean as it is used in the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Not-in-compliance, meaning the person or vessel is not obeying instructions.
(b) Non-commissioned, meaning not an officer.
(c) Non-commissioned, meaning not an authorized Naval vessel.
(d) Non-communicative, meaning unable or unwilling to speak.
11. What is Boland's reaction to the news that March is dead?
(a) "How could you let him die?"
(b) "These things happen."
(c) "This is your fault Dirk."
(d) "I'll tell his mother."
12. How does Summer escape the seamount?
(a) She doesn't.
(b) Dirk carries her to the surface.
(c) She swims, carrying Dirk who is too injured to move.
(d) She is rescued by the <I>Starbuck</I> .
13. What replacement weapon does Dirk grab after having expended his single shot weapon?
(a) A small glove-shaped pistol.
(b) A diver's knife.
(c) LT March's gun.
(d) A spear gun.
14. Who are the two men waiting for Dirk in the torpedo room as he tries to escape the submarine with SN Farris?
(b) Boland and Denver.
(c) CDR Dupree and another of the <I>Starbuck's</I> crew.
(d) Crewmembers from the <I>Martha Ann</I>.
15. How does Adrian escape when the men from the sea come ashore and kill her friend?
(a) Out the window.
(b) Through a two-way closet.
(c) Through a connecting bathroom.
(d) Through a trapdoor under the bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the giant with the golden eyes select Dirk to be the messenger of the capsule?
2. Who does Dirk finally meet during Their attack on him and Adrian?
3. How does Dirk discover LT March after he realizes they are not alone on the submarine?
4. How many men escape with Dirk on the helicopter from the Martha Ann?
5. What is the first visible evidence of the real nature of "Them?"
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)