|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the size of the school of fish the Martha Ann's sensors detect as they prepare to escape the Pacific Vortex area?
(a) About 200, roughly 5-7 feet in length each.
(b) About 500, all identically sized.
(c) About 2,000, roughly 2-3 feet in length each.
(d) About 50, ranging from 3 to 10 feet each.
2. What does Roblemann invent?
(a) A gene therapy that would allow humans to develop webbed hands and feet.
(b) A combination gill-lung that surgically attached to a human's chest.
(c) An underwater pump system big enough for a seamount.
(d) A prosthetic fin for human use.
3. Who wakes up Dirk after he reaches his hotel room and falls asleep after leaving the hospital?
(a) Adrian Hunter.
(b) ADM Sandecker.
(c) ADM Hunter.
(d) CAPT Orl Cinana.
4. What is holding the Starbuck down?
(a) Chains Delphi used to anchor her.
(b) Seafloor suction.
(c) Lack of ballast.
(d) Lack of power.
5. Who arrives on the comm deck as Dirk is communicating to the Martha Ann and LCDR Boland?
(a) SN Farris.
(b) LT March.
(c) CDR Dupree.
6. Who is Henry Fujima?
(a) A Hawaiian historian who tells Dirk about tuna fishing in the Pacific.
(b) A Hawaiian fisherman who is run over by a ship in the beginning of Chapter 12.
(c) A friend of George Papaaloa.
(d) The doctor who takes charge of SN Farris back at Pearl Harbor.
7. The Martha Ann has 20 feet of freeboard, making attack from the surface difficult according to LCDR Boland. What is freeboard?
(a) The distance from the first deck of the ship to the surface of the water.
(b) The lip of the deck that juts out over the hull.
(c) The ship's height from water surface to the top of her superstructure.
(d) The ladders over the side of her hull.
8. How does Dirk discover LT March after he realizes they are not alone on the submarine?
(a) Wounded, he's been stabbed.
(b) Hiding and wounded.
(c) Dead, he's been shot.
(d) Dirk cannot find him.
9. What happens to the radio communications between Big Daddy and the Kid?
(a) ADM Hunter makes an executive decision to maintain radio silence until the final hour.
(b) Delphi's transmitter intercepts the signal.
(c) The signal is lost due to an electrical storm.
(d) Kid's radio fails.
10. How long has the giant with the golden eyes been keeping tabs on Dirk's activities?
(b) Since the day he picked up the capsule.
(c) For the last twenty-four hours.
11. Why does Delphi let SN Farris live?
(a) He hopes Farris would train his men to work the submarine.
(b) He enjoys torturing the man.
(c) Farris offers to help Delphi.
(d) He wants to lure the Navy back with the hopes of a survivor.
12. What does Dirk do for Al's injured hand?
(a) He uses a scrap of Summer's dress to make a tourniquet.
(b) He wraps it in seaweed.
(c) He gives him his swim trunks as a bandage.
13. Who is Summer?
(a) Delphi's daughter.
(b) CAPT Cinana's other mistress.
(c) Delphi's wife.
(d) Adrian's sister.
14. What is in the hypodermic syringe that Summer assaults Dirk with?
(a) DG-10, a deadly poison.
(b) A heavy dose of AP-23 barbituate, a knockout drug.
(c) Enough Thorazine to lay out a horse.
(d) Scopolamine, exactly as she said.
15. What argument does Summer use to convince Delphi not to shoot Al and Dirk inside the seamount?
(a) That she loves Dirk.
(b) That the blood will stain the floor.
(c) That he should not being death and bloodshed within his home.
(d) That she's afraid of guns.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of Delphi's men does Crowhaven's team kill?
2. What is the first visible evidence of the real nature of "Them?"
3. Who is LT Robert Buckmaster?
4. How is the rescue team tracking the submarine's location?
5. What makes the fog associated with the Pacific Vortex so odd?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)