|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many of Them attack Dirk and Adrian?
2. How many men escape with Dirk on the helicopter from the Martha Ann?
(d) All of them plus Farris.
3. Who arrives on the comm deck as Dirk is communicating to the Martha Ann and LCDR Boland?
(a) SN Farris.
(c) CDR Dupree.
(d) LT March.
4. The Martha Ann has 20 feet of freeboard, making attack from the surface difficult according to LCDR Boland. What is freeboard?
(a) The ladders over the side of her hull.
(b) The distance from the first deck of the ship to the surface of the water.
(c) The ship's height from water surface to the top of her superstructure.
(d) The lip of the deck that juts out over the hull.
5. Who has been Delphi's informant in the Navy?
(a) CDR Burdette Denver.
(b) LCDR Paul Boland.
(c) CAPT Orl Cinana.
(d) Adrian Hunter.
6. Who does Dirk finally meet during Their attack on him and Adrian?
(a) CDR Dupree.
(b) The giant with the golden eyes.
(c) Frederick Moran.
(d) The legendary builders of Kanoli.
7. What does Roblemann invent?
(a) A gene therapy that would allow humans to develop webbed hands and feet.
(b) A prosthetic fin for human use.
(c) An underwater pump system big enough for a seamount.
(d) A combination gill-lung that surgically attached to a human's chest.
8. What is in the hypodermic syringe that Summer assaults Dirk with?
(a) DG-10, a deadly poison.
(b) Enough Thorazine to lay out a horse.
(c) Scopolamine, exactly as she said.
(d) A heavy dose of AP-23 barbituate, a knockout drug.
9. What does Dirk determine is the real cause of the school of fish detected by the Martha Ann's sensors?
(a) A deliberate hijacking of the sensor's signal.
(b) A decoy to distract them from the boarding team.
(d) Sharks in a feeding frenzy.
10. What replacement weapon does Dirk grab after having expended his single shot weapon?
(a) A spear gun.
(b) A diver's knife.
(c) A small glove-shaped pistol.
(d) LT March's gun.
11. When Dirk meets Delphi in his underwater caves, how much time is left before the seamount explodes?
(a) 50 minutes.
(b) One hour.
(c) 15 minutes.
(d) Three hours.
12. How long has the giant with the golden eyes been keeping tabs on Dirk's activities?
(b) For the last twenty-four hours.
(d) Since the day he picked up the capsule.
13. How does Summer escape the seamount?
(a) She swims, carrying Dirk who is too injured to move.
(b) Dirk carries her to the surface.
(c) She doesn't.
(d) She is rescued by the Starbuck .
14. How does Dirk discover LT March after he realizes they are not alone on the submarine?
(a) Hiding and wounded.
(b) Dirk cannot find him.
(c) Wounded, he's been stabbed.
(d) Dead, he's been shot.
15. What does Dirk omit from his report on the fight against Them in his hotel room?
(a) Adrian's story.
(b) His anticipation of the attack.
(c) Summer's involvement.
(d) The plan to make his death look accidental.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is holding the Starbuck down?
2. Why does the giant with the golden eyes select Dirk to be the messenger of the capsule?
3. What is the reason for the eucalyptus oil?
4. How many of "Them" are on the Starbuck according to SN Farris?
5. What is the Joint Chiefs' decision on what to do with the Starbuck?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)