|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the plan for the plane the rescue team flies out to the Pacific Vortex?
(a) The team will skydive from it into the drop zone and let the plane crash wherever it lands.
(b) Al will drop the team and then fly in circles around the site until the pick-up signal is given.
(c) The plane is a red-herring to make Delphi think they arrived that way. The real underwater rescue team is arriving by submarine.
(d) Ditch it in the water such that the crew manages to survive and the plane still floats.
2. How does Dirk finally break Delphi's facade of cool indifference?
(a) By refusing to acknowledge his own danger and physical suffering.
(b) By calling him out as a phony.
(c) By insulting Summer.
(d) By pretending not to know Al.
3. What is the first visible evidence of the real nature of "Them?"
(a) The guard that Dirk kills turns out to be a normal human man.
(b) Dirk sees a shadow outline of one which appears to have a tail and webbed feet.
(c) The man Dirk kills appears to have evolved gills.
(d) Dirk finds evidence of human habitation in the crew's quarters.
4. Who does Dirk go in search of before taking off in the helicopter?
(a) SN Farris.
(b) More of "Them" to kill.
(c) LCDR Boland.
(d) The helmsman.
5. How does Dirk discover LT March after he realizes they are not alone on the submarine?
(a) Wounded, he's been stabbed.
(b) Hiding and wounded.
(c) Dead, he's been shot.
(d) Dirk cannot find him.
6. Who is Summer?
(a) Adrian's sister.
(b) Delphi's wife.
(c) Delphi's daughter.
(d) CAPT Cinana's other mistress.
7. Who does Dirk report the attack on Adrian to?
(a) ADM Hunter.
(b) The Honolulu police.
(c) The Pearl Harbor Shore Patrol.
(d) The hotel security team.
8. How does SN Farris react to the battle raging around him on the Martha Ann?
(a) He engages in the gun battle, relieved to be able to vent some of his anger at the men from the sea.
(b) He is having a panic attack as he relives the horror of what happened to the
(c) He is asleep.
(d) He is dazedly unconcerned, almost disconnected from reality.
9. What causes the current that injures Dirk and Al?
(a) Natural underwater river.
(b) Delphi's protective current barrier, similar in function to a moat around a castle.
(c) Power turbine's exhaust current.
(d) Underwater vortex suction.
10. Why does the giant with the golden eyes select Dirk to be the messenger of the capsule?
(a) Impact and believability.
(b) To match his wits against Dirk's for fun.
(c) To expose Dirk's prior relationship with Adrian to the ADM.
(d) Respect and a desire to draw him into the game.
11. Who has been Delphi's informant in the Navy?
(a) CAPT Orl Cinana.
(b) CDR Burdette Denver.
(c) LCDR Paul Boland.
(d) Adrian Hunter.
12. Who arrives on the comm deck as Dirk is communicating to the Martha Ann and LCDR Boland?
(a) LT March.
(b) CDR Dupree.
(c) SN Farris.
13. What does Boland want Dirk to do before the invasion of the Martha Ann begins?
(a) Help him scuttle the Martha Ann.
(b) Get him and his crew off the ship.
(c) Help him arm the crew.
(d) Take the helo and report to ADM Hunter.
14. The Martha Ann has 20 feet of freeboard, making attack from the surface difficult according to LCDR Boland. What is freeboard?
(a) The distance from the first deck of the ship to the surface of the water.
(b) The ship's height from water surface to the top of her superstructure.
(c) The ladders over the side of her hull.
(d) The lip of the deck that juts out over the hull.
15. Who are the two men waiting for Dirk in the torpedo room as he tries to escape the submarine with SN Farris?
(a) CDR Dupree and another of the Starbuck's crew.
(b) Crewmembers from the Martha Ann.
(c) Boland and Denver.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the rescue team tracking the submarine's location?
2. What replacement weapon does Dirk grab after having expended his single shot weapon?
3. How many of Them attack Dirk and Adrian?
4. What does Dirk discover on the bodies of two the men from the sea that he kills?
5. Who is "Big Daddy?"
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)