|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Roblemann invent?
(a) An underwater pump system big enough for a seamount.
(b) A gene therapy that would allow humans to develop webbed hands and feet.
(c) A prosthetic fin for human use.
(d) A combination gill-lung that surgically attached to a human's chest.
2. Why is Dirk's and Al's mission time-critical?
(a) Because the plan is to blow up the seamount and the end of the planned time, whether or not the rescue succeeds.
(b) Because Dirk is afraid Summer will be killed.
(c) Because they will run out of air.
(d) Because Delphi may escape.
3. Where does Dirk land the helicopter after evacuating the Martha Ann?
(a) The neatly manicured front lawn of ADM Hunter's home.
(b) The military hospital on Oahu.
(c) Hickam Field airport.
(d) Pearl Harbor.
4. What makes the fog associated with the Pacific Vortex so odd?
(a) There is a thick almost oily texture to the mist.
(b) The weather conditions are wrong for fog.
(c) The color is wrong.
(d) There is nothing odd or different about it, other than its there.
5. What happens to the radio communications between Big Daddy and the Kid?
(a) Kid's radio fails.
(b) Delphi's transmitter intercepts the signal.
(c) ADM Hunter makes an executive decision to maintain radio silence until the final hour.
(d) The signal is lost due to an electrical storm.
6. When Dirk meets Delphi in his underwater caves, how much time is left before the seamount explodes?
(a) 15 minutes.
(b) One hour.
(c) Three hours.
(d) 50 minutes.
7. What is the first visible evidence of the real nature of "Them?"
(a) The man Dirk kills appears to have evolved gills.
(b) Dirk sees a shadow outline of one which appears to have a tail and webbed feet.
(c) The guard that Dirk kills turns out to be a normal human man.
(d) Dirk finds evidence of human habitation in the crew's quarters.
8. What is in the hypodermic syringe that Summer assaults Dirk with?
(a) DG-10, a deadly poison.
(b) Enough Thorazine to lay out a horse.
(c) Scopolamine, exactly as she said.
(d) A heavy dose of AP-23 barbituate, a knockout drug.
9. How many men escape with Dirk on the helicopter from the Martha Ann?
(b) All of them plus Farris.
10. Who is "Big Daddy?"
(a) Dirk's nickname for Al Giordino.
(b) Code-name for ADM Hunter back in Pearl Harbor.
(c) Code-name for the Starbuck rescue team.
(d) The group of Navy SEALS on the rescue team.
11. How does Crowhaven manage to get in touch with ADM Hunter?
(a) Via the NWS weather radio frequency.
(b) Via a commercial radio station in Honolulu.
(c) Using Morse code through a late night ham radio operator.
(d) By calling the Coast Guard.
12. Why doesn't Pearl Harbor know what has been happening with the Martha Ann and the finding of the Starbuck intact?
(a) LCDR Boland has not sent any messages.
(b) The radios have becomes mysteriously inoperable since they arrived at the Pacific Vortex.
(c) The Martha Ann has been using the wrong frequency.
(d) All radio signals in the area are being jammed.
13. Who is Lavella?
(a) A marine biologist who specialized in gill evolution.
(b) A mathematician who specialized in ocean current prediction.
(c) A physicist who specialized in hydrology.
(d) A geologist who specialized in underwater topography.
14. Who has been Delphi's informant in the Navy?
(a) Adrian Hunter.
(b) CDR Burdette Denver.
(c) CAPT Orl Cinana.
(d) LCDR Paul Boland.
15. What does Dirk discover attached to the handrail on the side of the ship at the battle between the Martha Ann's crew and the men from the sea?
(a) A ramp.
(b) A jacob's ladder.
(c) A floating line.
(d) A grappling hook.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the rescue team tracking the submarine's location?
2. What is the Joint Chiefs' decision on what to do with the Starbuck?
3. Who is Al Giordino?
4. How does Dirk finally break Delphi's facade of cool indifference?
5. What does Dirk do for Al's injured hand?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)