|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dirk determine is the real cause of the school of fish detected by the Martha Ann's sensors?
(b) Sharks in a feeding frenzy.
(c) A decoy to distract them from the boarding team.
(d) A deliberate hijacking of the sensor's signal.
2. How is Dirk's death intended to appear?
(a) Like a mob hit.
(b) Accidental drowning.
(c) As though he vanished of his own free will after accepting money for secrets.
(d) Like he eloped with Adrian.
3. Who does Dirk report the attack on Adrian to?
(a) ADM Hunter.
(b) The Honolulu police.
(c) The Pearl Harbor Shore Patrol.
(d) The hotel security team.
4. Who is Summer's mother?
(b) Christine Dievkis, a Russian spy.
(c) Alamea Aolani, a Hawaiian princess.
(d) Autumn Carrigan Moran, Delphi's concubine and wife.
5. How does Frederick Moran die?
(a) He drowns when a pump fails and the tunnel floods.
(b) He dies of a heart attack at age 76.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) Delphi shoots him when he becomes too old to serve Delphi's evil purpose any longer.
6. Who is Al Giordino?
(a) The owner of a charter plane company on Hawaii.
(b) The Assistant Special Projects Director at NUMA.
(c) ADM Sandecker's boss.
(d) An adventurer for hire.
7. When Dirk meets Delphi in his underwater caves, how much time is left before the seamount explodes?
(a) One hour.
(b) Three hours.
(c) 15 minutes.
(d) 50 minutes.
8. Why doesn't Pearl Harbor know what has been happening with the Martha Ann and the finding of the Starbuck intact?
(a) The Martha Ann has been using the wrong frequency.
(b) The radios have becomes mysteriously inoperable since they arrived at the Pacific Vortex.
(c) All radio signals in the area are being jammed.
(d) LCDR Boland has not sent any messages.
9. How does the Starbuck break free of the ocean floor?
(a) Shock waves from the Monitor's missile strike.
(b) A sudden cold water upwelling.
(d) Aftershocks from a spontaneous undersea earthquake.
10. How is the rescue team tracking the submarine's location?
(a) Using the electronic marker Boland placed from the Martha Ann.
(b) Following the line of the flag buoy Boland left in place.
(c) Using a chart and the geo-coordinates Boland marked.
(d) Using a metal detector.
11. What is the rescue schedule for the Starbuck when Dirk, Al and the Navy team return to the Pacifc Vortex?
(a) Four and a half hours.
(b) 10 hours.
(c) Two hours and 45 minutes.
(d) 90 minutes.
12. Why is Dirk's and Al's mission time-critical?
(a) Because Delphi may escape.
(b) Because the plan is to blow up the seamount and the end of the planned time, whether or not the rescue succeeds.
(c) Because Dirk is afraid Summer will be killed.
(d) Because they will run out of air.
13. What argument does Summer use to convince Delphi not to shoot Al and Dirk inside the seamount?
(a) That he should not being death and bloodshed within his home.
(b) That the blood will stain the floor.
(c) That she's afraid of guns.
(d) That she loves Dirk.
14. Who has been Delphi's informant in the Navy?
(a) CDR Burdette Denver.
(b) CAPT Orl Cinana.
(c) LCDR Paul Boland.
(d) Adrian Hunter.
15. Why does Delphi let SN Farris live?
(a) He hopes Farris would train his men to work the submarine.
(b) Farris offers to help Delphi.
(c) He wants to lure the Navy back with the hopes of a survivor.
(d) He enjoys torturing the man.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does SN Farris react to the battle raging around him on the Martha Ann?
2. How does Summer escape the seamount?
3. What smell does Dirk suddenly recognize as the fog begins to envelop the Martha Ann?
4. What does Dirk discover attached to the handrail on the side of the ship at the battle between the Martha Ann's crew and the men from the sea?
5. How does Dirk finally break Delphi's facade of cool indifference?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)