|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Dirk land the helicopter after evacuating the Martha Ann?
(a) The neatly manicured front lawn of ADM Hunter's home.
(b) The military hospital on Oahu.
(c) Hickam Field airport.
(d) Pearl Harbor.
2. What causes the current that injures Dirk and Al?
(a) Underwater vortex suction.
(b) Natural underwater river.
(c) Delphi's protective current barrier, similar in function to a moat around a castle.
(d) Power turbine's exhaust current.
3. What is Boland's reaction to the news that March is dead?
(a) "This is your fault Dirk."
(b) "I'll tell his mother."
(c) "These things happen."
(d) "How could you let him die?"
4. What is the size of the school of fish the Martha Ann's sensors detect as they prepare to escape the Pacific Vortex area?
(a) About 2,000, roughly 2-3 feet in length each.
(b) About 500, all identically sized.
(c) About 200, roughly 5-7 feet in length each.
(d) About 50, ranging from 3 to 10 feet each.
5. Who is Lavella?
(a) A marine biologist who specialized in gill evolution.
(b) A physicist who specialized in hydrology.
(c) A mathematician who specialized in ocean current prediction.
(d) A geologist who specialized in underwater topography.
6. What does "noncom" mean as it is used in the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Not-in-compliance, meaning the person or vessel is not obeying instructions.
(b) Non-commissioned, meaning not an officer.
(c) Non-communicative, meaning unable or unwilling to speak.
(d) Non-commissioned, meaning not an authorized Naval vessel.
7. Who are the two men waiting for Dirk in the torpedo room as he tries to escape the submarine with SN Farris?
(a) Crewmembers from the Martha Ann.
(c) CDR Dupree and another of the Starbuck's crew.
(d) Boland and Denver.
8. Who arrives on the comm deck as Dirk is communicating to the Martha Ann and LCDR Boland?
(a) SN Farris.
(c) LT March.
(d) CDR Dupree.
9. What does Roblemann invent?
(a) A combination gill-lung that surgically attached to a human's chest.
(b) An underwater pump system big enough for a seamount.
(c) A gene therapy that would allow humans to develop webbed hands and feet.
(d) A prosthetic fin for human use.
10. Who does Dirk report the attack on Adrian to?
(a) ADM Hunter.
(b) The Honolulu police.
(c) The Pearl Harbor Shore Patrol.
(d) The hotel security team.
11. Who is Summer?
(a) CAPT Cinana's other mistress.
(b) Adrian's sister.
(c) Delphi's wife.
(d) Delphi's daughter.
12. How does the Starbuck break free of the ocean floor?
(a) A sudden cold water upwelling.
(c) Aftershocks from a spontaneous undersea earthquake.
(d) Shock waves from the Monitor's missile strike.
13. What is the reason for the eucalyptus oil?
(a) It's not eucalyptus but a seaweed that generates the same odor.
(b) Air freshener and dehydrator.
(c) Perfume for the women on the seamount.
(d) Used as fuel for the generators.
14. How many of "Them" are on the Starbuck according to SN Farris?
(a) Two guards at all times.
(b) Three guards and a radio-man.
(d) One on duty, one resting.
15. How does Summer escape the seamount?
(a) She is rescued by the Starbuck .
(b) Dirk carries her to the surface.
(c) She swims, carrying Dirk who is too injured to move.
(d) She doesn't.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dirk meets Delphi in his underwater caves, how much time is left before the seamount explodes?
2. What does Boland want Dirk to do before the invasion of the Martha Ann begins?
3. How long has the giant with the golden eyes been keeping tabs on Dirk's activities?
4. What new ship do Dirk and Al discover while on their underwater mission?
5. How does Adrian escape when the men from the sea come ashore and kill her friend?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)