|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the radio communications between Big Daddy and the Kid?
(a) Kid's radio fails.
(b) The signal is lost due to an electrical storm.
(c) Delphi's transmitter intercepts the signal.
(d) ADM Hunter makes an executive decision to maintain radio silence until the final hour.
2. How does Summer escape the seamount?
(a) Dirk carries her to the surface.
(b) She is rescued by the Starbuck .
(c) She swims, carrying Dirk who is too injured to move.
(d) She doesn't.
3. What argument does Summer use to convince Delphi not to shoot Al and Dirk inside the seamount?
(a) That he should not being death and bloodshed within his home.
(b) That the blood will stain the floor.
(c) That she's afraid of guns.
(d) That she loves Dirk.
4. What does Dirk do for Al's injured hand?
(b) He wraps it in seaweed.
(c) He uses a scrap of Summer's dress to make a tourniquet.
(d) He gives him his swim trunks as a bandage.
5. How does Dirk finally break Delphi's facade of cool indifference?
(a) By insulting Summer.
(b) By refusing to acknowledge his own danger and physical suffering.
(c) By calling him out as a phony.
(d) By pretending not to know Al.
6. What is the Joint Chiefs' decision on what to do with the Starbuck?
(a) Mangle her so that her missiles cannot be launched and then raise her later.
(b) Return as soon as possible to restart the salvage expedition.
(c) Leave her where she is.
(d) Cover her with motion activated sensors so they can track the activity of Delphi and his men.
7. Where is Delphi's transmitter that allows him to jam radio signals?
(a) On Midway Island, in a remote corner of one of the uninhabited islands in the atoll.
(b) On the island of Maui at an abandoned Army installation.
(c) In downtown Honolulu, on top of a skyscraper.
(d) On a sandbar 20 nautical miles northwest of Kauai.
8. Who is Al Giordino?
(a) The Assistant Special Projects Director at NUMA.
(b) The owner of a charter plane company on Hawaii.
(c) An adventurer for hire.
(d) ADM Sandecker's boss.
9. Who is LT Robert Buckmaster?
(a) Head of Shore Patrol at Pearl Harbor.
(b) A former navy officer who defected to Delphi.
(c) The Marine officer in charge of taking the transmitter station.
(d) Crowhaven's nav officer.
10. How is the rescue team tracking the submarine's location?
(a) Using a metal detector.
(b) Using the electronic marker Boland placed from the Martha Ann.
(c) Following the line of the flag buoy Boland left in place.
(d) Using a chart and the geo-coordinates Boland marked.
11. What does Dirk discover on the bodies of two the men from the sea that he kills?
(a) A small plastic box adhered to their chests.
(b) Green skin and hair.
(c) Webbed hands and feet.
12. Dirk and Al leave the rescue team to salvage the Starbuck while they go to do what?
(a) Keep watch for Delphi's men.
(b) Find the entrance to the seamount and rescue Adrian Hunter.
(c) Arrest Delphi.
(d) Find Summer Moran.
13. What replacement weapon does Dirk grab after having expended his single shot weapon?
(a) LT March's gun.
(b) A diver's knife.
(c) A spear gun.
(d) A small glove-shaped pistol.
14. How does the Starbuck break free of the ocean floor?
(a) A sudden cold water upwelling.
(b) Shock waves from the Monitor's missile strike.
(d) Aftershocks from a spontaneous undersea earthquake.
15. What does Dirk discover attached to the handrail on the side of the ship at the battle between the Martha Ann's crew and the men from the sea?
(a) A floating line.
(b) A ramp.
(c) A jacob's ladder.
(d) A grappling hook.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does SN Farris tell Dirk "They" will do if he uses the radio?
2. Who is "Big Daddy?"
3. Who are the two men waiting for Dirk in the torpedo room as he tries to escape the submarine with SN Farris?
4. What is Delphi's relationship to Frederick Moran?
5. How does Frederick Moran die?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)