|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dirk discover attached to the handrail on the side of the ship at the battle between the <I>Martha Ann's</i> crew and the men from the sea?
(a) A ramp.
(b) A floating line.
(c) A jacob's ladder.
(d) A grappling hook.
2. What does Dirk direct should be done to the <I>Starbuck's</I> torpedo room as they escape?
(a) Drain it.
(b) Flood it.
(c) Arm the torpedoes.
(d) Tear a hole in the hull.
3. What s the first indication that the <I>Martha Ann</I> is in danger at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Sudden radio silence.
(b) A continuous thumping sound coming from the bottom of the hull.
(c) A thick fog coming up from the ocean surface.
(d) Sudden change in sea state.
4. How does Adrian escape when the men from the sea come ashore and kill her friend?
(a) Out the window.
(b) Through a connecting bathroom.
(c) Through a trapdoor under the bed.
(d) Through a two-way closet.
5. Who is Summer?
(a) CAPT Cinana's other mistress.
(b) Delphi's daughter.
(c) Delphi's wife.
(d) Adrian's sister.
6. Why does the giant with the golden eyes select Dirk to be the messenger of the capsule?
(a) To expose Dirk's prior relationship with Adrian to the ADM.
(b) Respect and a desire to draw him into the game.
(c) To match his wits against Dirk's for fun.
(d) Impact and believability.
7. How is Dirk's death intended to appear?
(a) As though he vanished of his own free will after accepting money for secrets.
(b) Accidental drowning.
(c) Like he eloped with Adrian.
(d) Like a mob hit.
8. What is the plan for the plane the rescue team flies out to the Pacific Vortex?
(a) The team will skydive from it into the drop zone and let the plane crash wherever it lands.
(b) The plane is a red-herring to make Delphi think they arrived that way. The real underwater rescue team is arriving by submarine.
(c) Al will drop the team and then fly in circles around the site until the pick-up signal is given.
(d) Ditch it in the water such that the crew manages to survive and the plane still floats.
9. How does Dirk finally break Delphi's facade of cool indifference?
(a) By refusing to acknowledge his own danger and physical suffering.
(b) By pretending not to know Al.
(c) By insulting Summer.
(d) By calling him out as a phony.
10. How many of Delphi's men does Crowhaven's team kill?
11. What does Boland want Dirk to do before the invasion of the Martha Ann begins?
(a) Help him arm the crew.
(b) Take the helo and report to ADM Hunter.
(c) Get him and his crew off the ship.
(d) Help him scuttle the Martha Ann.
12. What is Delphi's relationship to Frederick Moran?
(a) Delphi and Frederick Moran are not relatd.
(b) He is not a blood relative but they are partners.
(c) Delphi is his brother.
(d) Delphi is his son.
13. What is in the hypodermic syringe that Summer assaults Dirk with?
(a) Scopolamine, exactly as she said.
(b) Enough Thorazine to lay out a horse.
(c) A heavy dose of AP-23 barbituate, a knockout drug.
(d) DG-10, a deadly poison.
14. What is the size of the school of fish the <I>Martha Ann's</i> sensors detect as they prepare to escape the Pacific Vortex area?
(a) About 500, all identically sized.
(b) About 200, roughly 5-7 feet in length each.
(c) About 2,000, roughly 2-3 feet in length each.
(d) About 50, ranging from 3 to 10 feet each.
15. Who is Al Giordino?
(a) The owner of a charter plane company on Hawaii.
(b) An adventurer for hire.
(c) The Assistant Special Projects Director at NUMA.
(d) ADM Sandecker's boss.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Henry Fujima?
2. How does Frederick Moran die?
3. What causes the current that injures Dirk and Al?
4. What is Boland's reaction to the news that March is dead?
5. How is the rescue team tracking the submarine's location?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)