|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does SN Farris tell Dirk "They" will do if he uses the radio?
(a) Destroy the sub.
(b) Learn how to use it from watching him.
(c) Kill SN Farris.
(d) Kill Dirk.
2. How is Dirk's death intended to appear?
(a) Like he eloped with Adrian.
(b) Like a mob hit.
(c) Accidental drowning.
(d) As though he vanished of his own free will after accepting money for secrets.
3. What does Boland want Dirk to do before the invasion of the Martha Ann begins?
(a) Get him and his crew off the ship.
(b) Help him arm the crew.
(c) Help him scuttle the Martha Ann.
(d) Take the helo and report to ADM Hunter.
4. Who does Dirk report the attack on Adrian to?
(a) The Honolulu police.
(b) ADM Hunter.
(c) The hotel security team.
(d) The Pearl Harbor Shore Patrol.
5. Who wakes up Dirk after he reaches his hotel room and falls asleep after leaving the hospital?
(a) CAPT Orl Cinana.
(b) Adrian Hunter.
(c) ADM Hunter.
(d) ADM Sandecker.
6. What does Dirk omit from his report on the fight against Them in his hotel room?
(a) Summer's involvement.
(b) Adrian's story.
(c) The plan to make his death look accidental.
(d) His anticipation of the attack.
7. What does "noncom" mean as it is used in the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Non-commissioned, meaning not an officer.
(b) Non-commissioned, meaning not an authorized Naval vessel.
(c) Not-in-compliance, meaning the person or vessel is not obeying instructions.
(d) Non-communicative, meaning unable or unwilling to speak.
8. How does SN Farris react to the battle raging around him on the <I>Martha Ann</I>?
(a) He is dazedly unconcerned, almost disconnected from reality.
(b) He is having a panic attack as he relives the horror of what happened to the <I<>Starbuck</I>.
(c) He engages in the gun battle, relieved to be able to vent some of his anger at the men from the sea.
(d) He is asleep.
9. How many of Them attack Dirk and Adrian?
10. What is the Joint Chiefs' decision on what to do with the <I>Starbuck</I>?
(a) Mangle her so that her missiles cannot be launched and then raise her later.
(b) Return as soon as possible to restart the salvage expedition.
(c) Leave her where she is.
(d) Cover her with motion activated sensors so they can track the activity of Delphi and his men.
11. What argument does Summer use to convince Delphi not to shoot Al and Dirk inside the seamount?
(a) That the blood will stain the floor.
(b) That he should not being death and bloodshed within his home.
(c) That she's afraid of guns.
(d) That she loves Dirk.
12. What makes the fog associated with the Pacific Vortex so odd?
(a) The weather conditions are wrong for fog.
(b) The color is wrong.
(c) There is nothing odd or different about it, other than its there.
(d) There is a thick almost oily texture to the mist.
13. What causes the current that injures Dirk and Al?
(a) Underwater vortex suction.
(b) Natural underwater river.
(c) Delphi's protective current barrier, similar in function to a moat around a castle.
(d) Power turbine's exhaust current.
14. How long has the giant with the golden eyes been keeping tabs on Dirk's activities?
(a) For the last twenty-four hours.
(d) Since the day he picked up the capsule.
15. How does Al prevent Delphi's gun from killing Dirk?
(a) He sticks his finger in the gun barrel.
(b) He jams the trigger, preventing it from being pulled back.
(c) He secretly unloads the ammunition when Delphi is distracted.
(d) He puts his finger between the hammer and the striker pin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of Delphi's men does Crowhaven's team kill?
2. What is the first visible evidence of the real nature of "Them?"
3. Who is Summer?
4. How does Crowhaven manage to get in touch with ADM Hunter?
5. When Dirk meets Delphi in his underwater caves, how much time is left before the seamount explodes?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)