|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take Dirk to recover himself after Summer attacks him and he knocks her out enough to get them both back to his hotel room?
(a) 10 minutes.
(b) Four minutes.
(c) 15 minutes.
(d) One hour.
2. What is the correct phrasing to ask someone to repeat their message or to indicate you are repeating your message?
(a) Second time.
(b) Read back.
(d) Say again.
3. What is the first year of record for missing ships in the Pacific Vortex?
4. Why is Dirk beginning to distrust his situational awareness after his visit to the museum and George Papaaloa?
(a) He is tired and hungover.
(b) He can't concentrate on business because he keeps thinking about Adrian.
(c) He is feeling naïve and vulnerable after his encounter with Summer.
(d) He is seeing beady-eyed malefactors everywhere.
5. Who does Dirk call first to report the incident with the gray van?
(a) ADM Sandecker.
(b) ADM Hunter.
(c) Adrian Hunter.
(d) The Honolulu Police.
6. What is Dirk's plan of action on the Martha Ann with only two hours to go before dark falls?
(a) To build a decoy to help defend the ship from the probable nighttime attack.
(b) To improvise the best defenses the crew can muster.
(c) To dive on the sub.
(d) To conduct an underwater search of the seamount.
7. Why is the Starbuck's final position report physically impossible?
(a) The submarine is not fast enough to have covered the mileage between her two last position reports.
(b) The water is too shallow for her location.
(c) The geo-coordinates put her position on land.
(d) There is no trace of the submarine at that position.
8. Why is one reason the Navy doesn't consider the Starbuck's commanding officer's last statement of position to be credible?
(a) They don't believe in the Pacific Vortex.
(b) They don't trust ADM Hunter.
(c) They believe Dirk is perpetrating a hoax.
(d) They believe the Russians planted the manuscript.
9. Which seamen could have survived immediately after "the disaster" befell the Starbuck according to the logbook?
(a) CDR Dupree, the ship's doctor and LT Carter.
(b) LT Carter, SN Farris, and SN Metford.
(c) All of the ship's galley crew.
10. What or who is Andrei Vyborg?
(a) A Russian ship captain famous for his adventures in the area of the Pacific Vortex.
(b) A Russian fishing trawler.
(c) A Russian intelligence ship.
(d) A Russian military hero in maritime legend.
11. Why does Dirk take Summer back to his hotel room after he knocks her out?
(a) To rape her.
(b) To kill her.
(c) To kidnap her.
(d) To get information from her.
12. What is Dirk doing at the opening of the book?
(b) Visiting with friends.
(d) Riding his bike.
13. What color are Dirk's eyes?
14. Who says to Dirk: "If you keep staring at me, I'll be forced to charge you admission."?
(a) The blonde girl from Dirk's fifth grade class.
(b) Adrian Hunter.
(c) Capt. Orl Cinana
(d) Summer Moran.
15. How long does the Navy extend searches for its missing vessels or crew?
(b) 60 days.
(c) he Navy does not conduct search and rescue, the Coast Guard does.
(d) 72 hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George Papaaloa ask Dirk about progress on that that Dirk had recently been diving to find?
2. How does Commander Dupree report the final resting place of the Starbuck?
3. How long can the reactor continue to run unattended?
4. What is Dirk's official professional title?
5. What does Dirk start carrying before when he realizes the danger he has put himself in before reporting to Admiral Hunter?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)