|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Admiral Hunter know that Dirk has never served on a submarine?
(a) Dirk does not have the right military bearing.
(b) ADM Hunter has never heard of Dirk.
(c) Dirk does not recognize the communications capsule.
(d) Dirk does not understand the significance of what he read.
2. Why is one reason the Navy doesn't consider the Starbuck's commanding officer's last statement of position to be credible?
(a) They don't trust ADM Hunter.
(b) They don't believe in the Pacific Vortex.
(c) They believe Dirk is perpetrating a hoax.
(d) They believe the Russians planted the manuscript.
3. Who is Adrian Hunter?
(a) Admiral Hunter's daughter.
(b) A spy trying to kill Admiral Hunter.
(c) A government operative trying to kill Dirk.
(d) Dirk's girlfriend.
4. How is the Starbuck's reactor room different from previous nuclear submarines?
(a) It is ten times smaller but the reactors are twenty times more powerful.
(b) It is lead shielded to protect the crew better.
(c) It is located aft instead of forward.
(d) It is combined with the engine room and moved to the forward area of the boat.
5. How is the boarding party killed according to the San Gabriel's report?
(a) They are not killed.
(b) They drowned.
(c) They are victims of the killers "from the mist."
(d) They are blown up with the Lillie Marlene before they can take her in tow.
6. What color is Summer's hair?
(a) Dirty blonde.
(b) Dark brown.
7. What is Dirk wearing when he goes to see Admiral Hunter for the first time?
(a) His military uniform.
(b) His bathing suit.
(c) His business suit.
(d) His wetsuit.
8. What weather phenomenon features in both the reports of the Lillie Marlene and the Starbuck?
(a) A rogue wave.
(b) A waterspout.
(c) A maelstrom or vortex.
(d) An isolated fog bank.
9. What strikes Dirk as odd about the galley and lounge area of the Starbuck on his initial recon mission with LT March?
(a) There are stacks of dirty dishes, but no soap.
(b) There is no corrosion on anything.
(c) The tv is still working.
(d) There is no paper and nothing perishable.
10. What is the time lapse between the disaster that befell the ship and the beginning of the narrative that ADM Hunter relates?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Five days.
11. What or who is Andrei Vyborg?
(a) A Russian intelligence ship.
(b) A Russian fishing trawler.
(c) A Russian ship captain famous for his adventures in the area of the Pacific Vortex.
(d) A Russian military hero in maritime legend.
12. How does Dirk carry Summer to the hotel?
(a) Over his shoulder.
(b) Drags her by the arms.
(c) Cradled in his arms.
(d) On his back.
13. By ADM Hunter's estimation, how deep is the water where the Starbuck sinks?
(a) 1 nautical mile.
(b) 160 feet.
(c) 3,000 yards.
(d) 500 feet.
14. What military decoration does Dirk specifically mention having NOT earned?
(a) A Meritorious Team Commendation.
(b) A Meritorious Unit Commendation.
(c) A Good Conduct Medal.
(d) An Achievement Medal.
15. How many ships have gone missing where the Starbuck is last reported?
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides his direction on delivering his message, what is CDR Dupree's final request?
2. How long has it been since someone researched the sunken island at George Papaaloa's museum?
3. What branch of the military does Dirk belong to?
4. What is the radio code for having found the Starbuck?
5. How many consonants does the Hawaiian language have?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)