|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the Navy extend searches for its missing vessels or crew?
(a) he Navy does not conduct search and rescue, the Coast Guard does.
(c) 60 days.
(d) 72 hours.
2. What military decoration does Dirk specifically mention having NOT earned?
(a) A Meritorious Team Commendation.
(b) An Achievement Medal.
(c) A Good Conduct Medal.
(d) A Meritorious Unit Commendation.
3. What is Dirk wearing when he goes to see Admiral Hunter for the first time?
(a) His business suit.
(b) His military uniform.
(c) His bathing suit.
(d) His wetsuit.
4. What happens to the driver of the gray Dodge van that tries to run Dirk off the road?
(a) He falls over a sea cliff and is dashed against the rocks.
(b) He is killed in the crash that totals the van.
(c) He scrambles free of the falling van and runs from the scene.
(d) He is impaled on a telephone pole spike.
5. What is dangerous about Dirk's swim out to the object in the water?
(a) Coral reefs and kelp.
(b) Dirk doesn't swim very well.
(c) 15 foot waves.
(d) Riptides and sharks.
6. Why is the Starbuck's final position report physically impossible?
(a) The geo-coordinates put her position on land.
(b) The submarine is not fast enough to have covered the mileage between her two last position reports.
(c) The water is too shallow for her location.
(d) There is no trace of the submarine at that position.
7. By ADM Hunter's estimation, how deep is the water where the Starbuck sinks?
(a) 500 feet.
(b) 1 nautical mile.
(c) 3,000 yards.
(d) 160 feet.
8. Who is the narrator of Chapter 2?
(a) Dirk Pratt.
(b) LT Carter.
(c) CDR Dupree.
(d) ADM Hunter.
9. How many ships have gone missing where the Starbuck is last reported?
10. How many distress signals have been received from ships that have gone down where the Starbuck is last reported?
(b) Several thousand.
(d) Only two.
11. What is Barf the Magic Dragon?
(a) A shark killing gun.
(b) An anti-seasickness remedy.
(c) The Martha Ann's mascot.
(d) A sea shanty the crew of the Martha Ann made up.
12. What is a "fo'c's'le"?
(a) It's a space in the forward hull where extra anchor chain is kept.
(b) It's a nautical term for any area of the ship where the enlisted crew go to get away from the officers.
(c) It's a variant spelling of "foxhole," and means the crew's lounging area.
(d) It is an abbreviation for "forecastle," or the forward deck of a ship.
13. How long can the reactor continue to run unattended?
(a) Over a decade.
(b) Six to twelve months.
(d) No more than four to five weeks.
14. What does Dirk first do with the manuscript he finds?
(a) He puts it back where he found it.
(b) He reads half of it and then puts it away when he realizes it is not for his eyes.
(c) He tosses it in his knapsack for later.
(d) He reads it in its entirety.
15. What weather phenomenon features in both the reports of the Lillie Marlene and the Starbuck?
(a) A rogue wave.
(b) A maelstrom or vortex.
(c) An isolated fog bank.
(d) A waterspout.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dirk initially talking to in the bar at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel?
2. Who says: "I shot down Admiral Sandecker and his staff over the China Sea."?
3. How does Admiral Hunter know that Dirk has never served on a submarine?
4. Why doesn't Dirk want to leave the Martha Ann on the helicopter to go and get the salvage team?
5. What branch of the military does Dirk belong to?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)