|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dirk take Summer back to his hotel room after he knocks her out?
(a) To get information from her.
(b) To kill her.
(c) To rape her.
(d) To kidnap her.
2. What happens to the driver of the gray Dodge van that tries to run Dirk off the road?
(a) He falls over a sea cliff and is dashed against the rocks.
(b) He is killed in the crash that totals the van.
(c) He scrambles free of the falling van and runs from the scene.
(d) He is impaled on a telephone pole spike.
3. How does Dirk know that Summer is lying about her reasons for wanting information on Adrian Hunter?
(a) He knows that Adrian does not have access to classified information.
(b) He finds papers on her that tell a different story.
(c) He doesn't, but he suspects that she is.
(d) Adrian told him a different story.
4. Why is Dirk beginning to distrust his situational awareness after his visit to the museum and George Papaaloa?
(a) He is seeing beady-eyed malefactors everywhere.
(b) He is tired and hungover.
(c) He is feeling naïve and vulnerable after his encounter with Summer.
(d) He can't concentrate on business because he keeps thinking about Adrian.
5. How does Dirk carry Summer to the hotel?
(a) On his back.
(b) Drags her by the arms.
(c) Over his shoulder.
(d) Cradled in his arms.
6. Why is diving on a wrecked submarine different from a wrecked ship for Dirk?
(a) Because he's diving with only one partner this time.
(b) Because the submarine doesn't appear to have been wrecked at all.
(c) Because he feels like he knows this crew from reading the manuscript.
(d) Because ships are supposed to be on the surface of the water, whereas the sub is in its natural environment.
7. How does Dirk suggest the captain's log from the Starbuck is forged?
(a) Using a special tracing machine.
(b) By raiding his home for handwriting exemplars.
(c) By forcing the captain to write it using the threat of torture.
(d) Using the actual captain's log, his correspondence and diary.
8. Who says: "I shot down Admiral Sandecker and his staff over the China Sea."?
(a) Dirk Pitt.
(b) CDR Denver.
(c) LCDR Boland.
(d) ADM Hunter.
9. What is the first year of record for missing ships in the Pacific Vortex?
10. What or who is Andrei Vyborg?
(a) A Russian intelligence ship.
(b) A Russian military hero in maritime legend.
(c) A Russian ship captain famous for his adventures in the area of the Pacific Vortex.
(d) A Russian fishing trawler.
11. What is dangerous about Dirk's swim out to the object in the water?
(a) 15 foot waves.
(b) Coral reefs and kelp.
(c) Dirk doesn't swim very well.
(d) Riptides and sharks.
12. What color is Summer's hair?
(c) Dark brown.
(d) Dirty blonde.
13. What are the two most important things about the sub's condition that Dirk reports to Boland?
(a) It is not flooded and still has power from the port reactor.
(b) The slight movement of the boat indicates she is not stuck fast to the seafloor and her water pumps are still working.
(c) It is only partially flooded and the lights are still on.
(d) Her electronics have not corroded and the missiles are intact.
14. How many distress signals have been received from ships that have gone down where the Starbuck is last reported?
(c) Only two.
(d) Several thousand.
15. What about the Starbuck's engine room strikes Dirk and LT March as suspicious?
(a) There is no maintenance log.
(b) It is only partially flooded.
(c) It is clean and well maintained.
(d) The engines are still running.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to CDR Dupree's log, which compartment in the sub is the only compartment breached?
2. What ship is responsible for reporting the incident to the Lillie Marlene?
3. What words does LCDR Boland have tattooed on his arm?
4. Why does ADM Sandecker say that Dirk is a security risk because he's read the manuscript?
5. What are Boland's instructions upon hearing Dirk's message from the supposedly wrecked submarine?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)