|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ship is responsible for reporting the incident to the <I>Lillie Marlene</I>?
(a) The <I>San Gabriel</I>.
(b) The <I>Starbuck</I>.
(c) The <I>Vincent Tourmalier</I>.
(d) The <I>Verhusson</I>.
2. What is the city of origin painted on the <I>Martha Ann's</I> hull?
3. What is the nickname of the area where the <I>Starbuck</I> went missing?
(a) The Bermuda Triangle.
(b) The South China Crevasse.
(c) The Laurentian Abyss.
(d) The Pacific Vortex.
4. What kind of car does Dirk drive?
(a) A Ford Mustang.
(b) An antique Chevy pickup.
(c) An AC Cobra.
(d) A Volkswagen beetle.
5. What unusual equipment does LT Stanley sight on the first wreck that the <I>Martha Ann</I> discovers?
(a) A gyroscope.
(b) A farm tractor.
(c) An old Volkswagen beetle.
(d) A satellite dish.
6. Why does Dirk speculate that the Navy has equipped the <I>Martha Ann</I> with a crew of midgets?
(a) Because so far the only crew members he's seen have all been under 5' 5".
(b) Because the escape helo only carries 15, too few for a normal crew of a vessel like the Martha Ann.
(c) Because he's trying to make a joke with the exasperatingly solemn Boland.
(d) Because the doorways are abnormally low on the Martha Ann.
7. What unique feature of the <I>Martha Ann's</I> navigational equipment makes her totally crew-independent?
(a) She is entirely crew-dependent.
(b) She can be scuttled remotely in case of emergency.
(c) Her auto-pilot is interconnected with her GPS allowing her to navigate a pre-constructed route independently.
(d) Her central controls can be overridden remotely.
8. What is Dirk wearing when he goes to see Admiral Hunter for the first time?
(a) His military uniform.
(b) His bathing suit.
(c) His wetsuit.
(d) His business suit.
9. Why does the <I>Martha Ann</I> appear old and rusted?
(a) She is salvaged from the scrap yard.
(b) The sailor's are more interested in maintaining the battleships than a salvage ship.
(c) She's over forty years old.
(d) Clever camouflage paint.
10. How does Dirk suggest the captain's log from the <I>Starbuck</I> is forged?
(a) By raiding his home for handwriting exemplars.
(b) Using the actual captain's log, his correspondence and diary.
(c) By forcing the captain to write it using the threat of torture.
(d) Using a special tracing machine.
11. What is unusual about the security on the <I>Martha Ann</I>?
(a) They require three forms of id from Dirk in addition to official orders from ADM Hunter.
(b) They conduct a full body pat-down search prior to allowing entrance to the ship.
(c) The security guards operate in total darkness.
(d) There is none, it's not supposed to be a Naval vessel.
12. What is the <I>Martha Ann's</I> depth at the start of their search pattern?
(a) 5,670 feet.
(b) 16,234 feet.
(c) 14 fathoms.
(d) 478 feet.
13. When is strict radio silence imposed for a US Navy submarine?
(a) At all times.
(b) When a sub is on patrol or on station.
(c) When in transit from missions.
(d) When the captain orders it.
14. What does Dirk wear to report for his first day of duty with ADM Hunter?
(a) Jeans and a Hawaiian shirt.
(b) A white suit with a pink shirt.
(c) Jeans and a sport coat.
(d) Full military dress uniform.
15. What does Dirk first do with the manuscript he finds?
(a) He reads it in its entirety.
(b) He reads half of it and then puts it away when he realizes it is not for his eyes.
(c) He tosses it in his knapsack for later.
(d) He puts it back where he found it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What or who is <I>Andrei Vyborg</I>?
2. What does "bare steerageway" mean?
3. Why does ADM Hunter think CDR Dupree ordered his captain's log delivered to him?
4. What color are Dirk's eyes?
5. How long has it been since someone researched the sunken island at George Papaaloa's museum?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)