|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Roughly how large is the Martha Ann in Dirk's estimate?
(a) 240,000 lbs.
(b) 12,000 tons.
(c) 2,000 tons.
(d) 60,000 lbs.
2. How does Admiral Hunter know that Dirk has never served on a submarine?
(a) Dirk does not understand the significance of what he read.
(b) Dirk does not recognize the communications capsule.
(c) Dirk does not have the right military bearing.
(d) ADM Hunter has never heard of Dirk.
3. What ship is responsible for reporting the incident to the Lillie Marlene?
(a) The Vincent Tourmalier.
(b) The Verhusson.
(c) The Starbuck.
(d) The San Gabriel.
4. What is the Martha Ann's depth at the start of their search pattern?
(a) 16,234 feet.
(b) 5,670 feet.
(c) 478 feet.
(d) 14 fathoms.
5. Besides his direction on delivering his message, what is CDR Dupree's final request?
(a) Let the world know there ARE extra-terrestrials on Earth.
(b) Do not let them get us.
(c) Do not search for us.
(d) Please communicate with my family.
6. Who does Dirk call first to report the incident with the gray van?
(a) ADM Sandecker.
(b) The Honolulu Police.
(c) Adrian Hunter.
(d) ADM Hunter.
7. What is Dirk's military rank?
(a) Lieutenant Colonel.
8. What happens to the driver of the gray Dodge van that tries to run Dirk off the road?
(a) He is impaled on a telephone pole spike.
(b) He falls over a sea cliff and is dashed against the rocks.
(c) He scrambles free of the falling van and runs from the scene.
(d) He is killed in the crash that totals the van.
9. What unique feature of the Martha Ann's navigational equipment makes her totally crew-independent?
(a) She is entirely crew-dependent.
(b) Her auto-pilot is interconnected with her GPS allowing her to navigate a pre-constructed route independently.
(c) She can be scuttled remotely in case of emergency.
(d) Her central controls can be overridden remotely.
10. Why does Dirk stop to talk to George Papaaloa?
(a) To find out what he knows about Summer.
(b) To find out what he knows about the Pacific Vortex.
(c) To shake off the person tailing him.
(d) To learn more about Pacific Islands.
11. How does Dirk decide who to give the manuscript to?
(a) The manuscript is written by Admiral Leigh Hunter.
(b) Dirk guesses that Admiral Leigh Hunter might be interested.
(c) Admiral Leigh Hunter is the only military command officer Dirk knows in the area.
(d) The manuscript is addressed to Admiral Leigh Hunter.
12. What military decoration does Dirk specifically mention having NOT earned?
(a) A Meritorious Unit Commendation.
(b) A Meritorious Team Commendation.
(c) An Achievement Medal.
(d) A Good Conduct Medal.
13. Who is Dirk initially talking to in the bar at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel?
(a) Captain Orl Cinana.
(b) Lieutenant Summer Moran.
(c) Lieutenant Commander Paul Boland.
(d) Commander Burdette Denver.
14. Who is the author of the manuscript, excerpts of which are transcribed in Chapter 2?
(a) SN Farris.
(b) Dirk Pratt.
(c) ADM Hunter.
(d) CDR Dupree.
15. What is the first year of record for missing ships in the Pacific Vortex?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nickname of the area where the Starbuck went missing?
2. What is dangerous about Dirk's swim out to the object in the water?
3. How does Dirk know that Summer is lying about her reasons for wanting information on Adrian Hunter?
4. How long does the Navy extend searches for its missing vessels or crew?
5. How many ships have gone missing where the Starbuck is last reported?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)