|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Starbuck hit the seafloor?
(a) Perfectly parallel.
(b) Bow first.
(c) Upside down.
(d) Stern first, almost perpendicular.
2. Why is Dirk beginning to distrust his situational awareness after his visit to the museum and George Papaaloa?
(a) He can't concentrate on business because he keeps thinking about Adrian.
(b) He is tired and hungover.
(c) He is seeing beady-eyed malefactors everywhere.
(d) He is feeling naïve and vulnerable after his encounter with Summer.
3. Whose responsibility is it to plot the new search area for the Martha Ann after Dirk's interpretation of the evidence?
(a) CDR Denver.
(b) CDR Denver.
(c) LCDR Boland.
(d) ADM Hunter.
4. What is a "fo'c's'le"?
(a) It's a space in the forward hull where extra anchor chain is kept.
(b) It's a variant spelling of "foxhole," and means the crew's lounging area.
(c) It is an abbreviation for "forecastle," or the forward deck of a ship.
(d) It's a nautical term for any area of the ship where the enlisted crew go to get away from the officers.
5. What does the Marine guard at ADM Hunter's building on Pearl Harbor base ask Dirk for when he reports?
(a) Recommendations on a barber.
(b) His identification.
(c) His weapon.
(d) His orders.
6. How does Dirk decide who to give the manuscript to?
(a) The manuscript is addressed to Admiral Leigh Hunter.
(b) Dirk guesses that Admiral Leigh Hunter might be interested.
(c) The manuscript is written by Admiral Leigh Hunter.
(d) Admiral Leigh Hunter is the only military command officer Dirk knows in the area.
7. What is "one of the finest undercover salvage operations in the world?"
(a) The Special Projects division of NUMA, Dirk Pitt's command.
(b) The Russian Special Undersea Operators Progam.
(c) NUMA, ADM Sandecker's command.
(d) The 101st Salvage Fleet, ADM Hunter's command.
8. What or who is Andrei Vyborg?
(a) A Russian ship captain famous for his adventures in the area of the Pacific Vortex.
(b) A Russian military hero in maritime legend.
(c) A Russian fishing trawler.
(d) A Russian intelligence ship.
9. What does George Papaaloa ask Dirk about progress on that that Dirk had recently been diving to find?
(a) Iolani Palace.
(b) The burial cave of King Kamehameha.
(c) The burial grounds of the Koolau tribe.
10. When is strict radio silence imposed for a US Navy submarine?
(a) At all times.
(b) When the captain orders it.
(c) When in transit from missions.
(d) When a sub is on patrol or on station.
11. What does the message say that the NUMA zoologist received against a microphone he is using to record fish sounds?
(a) Einstein's relativity equation.
(b) Directions to the nearest port.
(c) An equation for finding the water pressure at the depth the microphone is located.
(d) A physical description of a coven of mermaids.
12. How is the Starbuck's reactor room different from previous nuclear submarines?
(a) It is lead shielded to protect the crew better.
(b) It is ten times smaller but the reactors are twenty times more powerful.
(c) It is located aft instead of forward.
(d) It is combined with the engine room and moved to the forward area of the boat.
13. How long can the reactor continue to run unattended?
(a) Six to twelve months.
(c) Over a decade.
(d) No more than four to five weeks.
14. What does Dirk start carrying before when he realizes the danger he has put himself in before reporting to Admiral Hunter?
(a) His military identification.
(b) A gun.
(c) A diver's knife.
(d) A false set of credentials.
15. Which seamen could have survived immediately after "the disaster" befell the Starbuck according to the logbook?
(a) CDR Dupree, the ship's doctor and LT Carter.
(c) All of the ship's galley crew.
(d) LT Carter, SN Farris, and SN Metford.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dirk stop to talk to George Papaaloa?
2. What kind of car does Dirk drive?
3. What is Barf the Magic Dragon?
4. How does Commander Dupree report the final resting place of the Starbuck?
5. What are Boland's instructions upon hearing Dirk's message from the supposedly wrecked submarine?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)