|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dirk describe the smell of a working port as he arrives for his departure on the Martha Ann?
(a) Reeking of seaweed and petrol with a touch of seagull crap mixed in.
(b) Nauseating and faintly reminiscent of times at sea he'd rather forget.
(c) Oil, gasoline, tar and smoke, with a tinge of saltwater.
(d) A heady aroma of saltwater and Hawaiian flowers with just a hint of gasoline to indicate the work at hand.
2. How does the Starbuck hit the seafloor?
(a) Stern first, almost perpendicular.
(b) Perfectly parallel.
(c) Bow first.
(d) Upside down.
3. What is a "fo'c's'le"?
(a) It's a variant spelling of "foxhole," and means the crew's lounging area.
(b) It's a nautical term for any area of the ship where the enlisted crew go to get away from the officers.
(c) It's a space in the forward hull where extra anchor chain is kept.
(d) It is an abbreviation for "forecastle," or the forward deck of a ship.
4. What is Dirk's new assignment now that he has read the submarine log and reported it?
(a) He is to help in the government cover-up of the loss of the Starbuck.
(b) He is to investigate Russian activity that led to the loss of the Starbuck.
(c) He is to help in the salvage operation of the Starbuck.
(d) He is go deep undercover to avoid any connection with the missing submarine.
5. How does Summer escape Dirk's hotel room?
(a) By threatening Dirk with a gun.
(b) By knocking Dirk out and running.
(c) By knotting towels together and escaping out the window.
(d) By threatening to call the police.
6. What is Dirk's plan of action on the Martha Ann with only two hours to go before dark falls?
(a) To conduct an underwater search of the seamount.
(b) To build a decoy to help defend the ship from the probable nighttime attack.
(c) To improvise the best defenses the crew can muster.
(d) To dive on the sub.
7. What is the nickname of the area where the Starbuck went missing?
(a) The Laurentian Abyss.
(b) The Pacific Vortex.
(c) The South China Crevasse.
(d) The Bermuda Triangle.
8. What is the time lapse between the disaster that befell the ship and the beginning of the narrative that ADM Hunter relates?
(a) Six months.
(b) Five days.
(d) Two weeks.
9. What is Barf the Magic Dragon?
(a) A sea shanty the crew of the Martha Ann made up.
(b) A shark killing gun.
(c) An anti-seasickness remedy.
(d) The Martha Ann's mascot.
10. What or who is Andrei Vyborg?
(a) A Russian intelligence ship.
(b) A Russian fishing trawler.
(c) A Russian ship captain famous for his adventures in the area of the Pacific Vortex.
(d) A Russian military hero in maritime legend.
11. How does LCDR Boland mark the position of the submarine in case they are forced to abandon the site?
(a) An anchored liferaft.
(b) A floating flag buoy.
(c) A dye marker.
(d) An electronic waterproof signal transmitter.
12. How does Dirk decide who to give the manuscript to?
(a) The manuscript is written by Admiral Leigh Hunter.
(b) Admiral Leigh Hunter is the only military command officer Dirk knows in the area.
(c) Dirk guesses that Admiral Leigh Hunter might be interested.
(d) The manuscript is addressed to Admiral Leigh Hunter.
13. What does Dirk communicate about the sub's crew in his initial message back to the Martha Ann?
(a) It's as though they never existed.
(b) He doesn't mention the crew.
(c) There's evidence of a struggle but no bodies.
(d) They're dead.
14. What unusual equipment does LT Stanley sight on the first wreck that the Martha Ann discovers?
(a) A farm tractor.
(b) An old Volkswagen beetle.
(c) A gyroscope.
(d) A satellite dish.
15. Why is diving on a wrecked submarine different from a wrecked ship for Dirk?
(a) Because the submarine doesn't appear to have been wrecked at all.
(b) Because he feels like he knows this crew from reading the manuscript.
(c) Because he's diving with only one partner this time.
(d) Because ships are supposed to be on the surface of the water, whereas the sub is in its natural environment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dirk wear to report for his first day of duty with ADM Hunter?
2. What does George Papaaloa ask Dirk about progress on that that Dirk had recently been diving to find?
3. What are the two most important things about the sub's condition that Dirk reports to Boland?
4. How long has it been since someone researched the sunken island at George Papaaloa's museum?
5. What is Dirk's official professional title?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)