|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color are Dirk's eyes?
2. What is Barf the Magic Dragon?
(a) An anti-seasickness remedy.
(b) A sea shanty the crew of the <I>Martha Ann</I> made up.
(c) The <I>Martha Ann's</I> mascot.
(d) A shark killing gun.
3. According to CDR Dupree's log, which compartment in the sub is the only compartment breached?
(a) The reactor room.
(b) The forward torpedo room.
(c) The captain's quarters.
(d) The aft missile cabin.
4. How does Admiral Hunter know that Dirk has never served on a submarine?
(a) Dirk does not understand the significance of what he read.
(b) Dirk does not recognize the communications capsule.
(c) Dirk does not have the right military bearing.
(d) ADM Hunter has never heard of Dirk.
5. How does Dirk know that Summer is lying about her reasons for wanting information on Adrian Hunter?
(a) He doesn't, but he suspects that she is.
(b) Adrian told him a different story.
(c) He finds papers on her that tell a different story.
(d) He knows that Adrian does not have access to classified information.
6. How does Dirk suggest the captain's log from the <I>Starbuck</I> is forged?
(a) Using a special tracing machine.
(b) By forcing the captain to write it using the threat of torture.
(c) Using the actual captain's log, his correspondence and diary.
(d) By raiding his home for handwriting exemplars.
7. Whose responsibility is it to plot the new search area for the <I>Martha Ann</I> after Dirk's interpretation of the evidence?
(a) LCDR Boland.
(b) ADM Hunter.
(c) CDR Denver.
(d) CDR Denver.
8. What strikes Dirk as odd about the galley and lounge area of the <I>Starbuck</I> on his initial recon mission with LT March?
(a) There are stacks of dirty dishes, but no soap.
(b) There is no paper and nothing perishable.
(c) The tv is still working.
(d) There is no corrosion on anything.
9. Why is Dirk beginning to distrust his situational awareness after his visit to the museum and George Papaaloa?
(a) He is feeling naïve and vulnerable after his encounter with Summer.
(b) He is seeing beady-eyed malefactors everywhere.
(c) He can't concentrate on business because he keeps thinking about Adrian.
(d) He is tired and hungover.
10. Roughly how large is the <I>Martha Ann</I> in Dirk's estimate?
(a) 60,000 lbs.
(b) 12,000 tons.
(c) 2,000 tons.
(d) 240,000 lbs.
11. What military decoration does Dirk specifically mention having NOT earned?
(a) A Meritorious Unit Commendation.
(b) An Achievement Medal.
(c) A Meritorious Team Commendation.
(d) A Good Conduct Medal.
12. How does LCDR Boland mark the position of the submarine in case they are forced to abandon the site?
(a) An anchored liferaft.
(b) A dye marker.
(c) An electronic waterproof signal transmitter.
(d) A floating flag buoy.
13. How long does it take for Dirk to get the helicopter the <I>Martha Ann</I> is carrying from a cold start into the air?
(a) 10 minutes.
(b) One hour.
(c) 40 seconds.
(d) 90 seconds.
14. Which seamen could have survived immediately after "the disaster" befell the <I>Starbuck</I> according to the logbook?
(a) LT Carter, SN Farris, and SN Metford.
(b) All of the ship's galley crew.
(c) CDR Dupree, the ship's doctor and LT Carter.
15. What is the first year of record for missing ships in the Pacific Vortex?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car does Dirk drive?
2. What is the hull number of the <I>Starbuck</I>?
3. What happens to the driver of the gray Dodge van that tries to run Dirk off the road?
4. What does Dirk discover in Summer's hand when he goes to pick her up and take her back to the hotel?
5. Who is the author of the manuscript, excerpts of which are transcribed in Chapter 2?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)