|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two most important things about the sub's condition that Dirk reports to Boland?
(a) It is only partially flooded and the lights are still on.
(b) Her electronics have not corroded and the missiles are intact.
(c) The slight movement of the boat indicates she is not stuck fast to the seafloor and her water pumps are still working.
(d) It is not flooded and still has power from the port reactor.
2. How many ships have gone missing where the Starbuck is last reported?
3. How does Admiral Hunter know that Dirk has never served on a submarine?
(a) Dirk does not understand the significance of what he read.
(b) ADM Hunter has never heard of Dirk.
(c) Dirk does not recognize the communications capsule.
(d) Dirk does not have the right military bearing.
4. What is Dirk wearing when he goes to see Admiral Hunter for the first time?
(a) His bathing suit.
(b) His military uniform.
(c) His wetsuit.
(d) His business suit.
5. What is the correct phrasing to ask someone to repeat their message or to indicate you are repeating your message?
(a) Second time.
(b) Read back.
(d) Say again.
6. What is the weather as the Martha Ann gets underway?
(a) Red sky at night and gentle swells.
(b) Ominously still with almost suspiciously flat seas.
(c) Air is warm, sky is clear, sea is calm.
(d) Wind beginning to pick up, storm's coming.
7. How does Dirk know that Summer is lying about her reasons for wanting information on Adrian Hunter?
(a) He doesn't, but he suspects that she is.
(b) He finds papers on her that tell a different story.
(c) Adrian told him a different story.
(d) He knows that Adrian does not have access to classified information.
8. What is Dirk's official professional title?
(a) National Undersea Warfare, Chief Counsel.
(b) Director of the National Maritime Domain Council.
(c) Special Projects Director of the National Underwater and Marine Agency.
(d) Naval Appropriations Director.
9. What ship is responsible for reporting the incident to the Lillie Marlene?
(a) The Starbuck.
(b) The San Gabriel.
(c) The Verhusson.
(d) The Vincent Tourmalier.
10. What is the first year of record for missing ships in the Pacific Vortex?
11. Why is the Starbuck's final position report physically impossible?
(a) The geo-coordinates put her position on land.
(b) The submarine is not fast enough to have covered the mileage between her two last position reports.
(c) The water is too shallow for her location.
(d) There is no trace of the submarine at that position.
12. What does the Marine guard at ADM Hunter's building on Pearl Harbor base ask Dirk for when he reports?
(a) His weapon.
(b) His orders.
(c) His identification.
(d) Recommendations on a barber.
13. How does the Starbuck hit the seafloor?
(a) Stern first, almost perpendicular.
(b) Bow first.
(c) Perfectly parallel.
(d) Upside down.
14. Why does the Martha Ann appear old and rusted?
(a) She's over forty years old.
(b) She is salvaged from the scrap yard.
(c) Clever camouflage paint.
(d) The sailor's are more interested in maintaining the battleships than a salvage ship.
15. What about the Starbuck's engine room strikes Dirk and LT March as suspicious?
(a) It is clean and well maintained.
(b) The engines are still running.
(c) It is only partially flooded.
(d) There is no maintenance log.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dirk call first to report the incident with the gray van?
2. What is Dirk's new assignment now that he has read the submarine log and reported it?
3. What color is Summer's hair?
4. What military decoration does Dirk specifically mention having NOT earned?
5. Why does Dirk stop to talk to George Papaaloa?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)