|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dirk stop to talk to George Papaaloa?
(a) To shake off the person tailing him.
(b) To learn more about Pacific Islands.
(c) To find out what he knows about the Pacific Vortex.
(d) To find out what he knows about Summer.
2. What does George Papaaloa ask Dirk about progress on that that Dirk had recently been diving to find?
(a) The burial cave of King Kamehameha.
(c) The burial grounds of the Koolau tribe.
(d) Iolani Palace.
3. What is the radio code for having found the Starbuck?
(a) "Stopped all engines to repair a burned shaft bearing."
(b) Nothing. Strict radio silence is essential.
(c) "Returning to base for repairs to starboard engine."
(d) "The cat's in the cradle."
4. What are the two most important things about the sub's condition that Dirk reports to Boland?
(a) The slight movement of the boat indicates she is not stuck fast to the seafloor and her water pumps are still working.
(b) It is only partially flooded and the lights are still on.
(c) Her electronics have not corroded and the missiles are intact.
(d) It is not flooded and still has power from the port reactor.
5. What is the city of origin painted on the Martha Ann's hull?
6. What is the time lapse between the disaster that befell the ship and the beginning of the narrative that ADM Hunter relates?
(b) Six months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Five days.
7. Why does ADM Hunter think CDR Dupree ordered his captain's log delivered to him?
(a) ADM Hunter does not know.
(b) CDR Dupree does no such thing, those directions are added later.
(c) CDR Dupree admired ADM Hunter.
(d) CDR Dupree is hallucinating and imagined that ADM Hunter is nearby.
8. How does Dirk decide who to give the manuscript to?
(a) The manuscript is written by Admiral Leigh Hunter.
(b) Dirk guesses that Admiral Leigh Hunter might be interested.
(c) Admiral Leigh Hunter is the only military command officer Dirk knows in the area.
(d) The manuscript is addressed to Admiral Leigh Hunter.
9. Who says: "I shot down Admiral Sandecker and his staff over the China Sea."?
(a) Dirk Pitt.
(b) ADM Hunter.
(c) LCDR Boland.
(d) CDR Denver.
10. Who is the Chief Director of the Naval Underwater and Marine Agency?
(a) Admiral James Sandecker.
(b) Admiral Leigh Hunter.
(c) Dirk Pitt.
(d) Captain Orl Cinana.
11. What is Dirk's plan of action on the Martha Ann with only two hours to go before dark falls?
(a) To dive on the sub.
(b) To build a decoy to help defend the ship from the probable nighttime attack.
(c) To improvise the best defenses the crew can muster.
(d) To conduct an underwater search of the seamount.
12. Who is the author of the manuscript, excerpts of which are transcribed in Chapter 2?
(a) Dirk Pratt.
(b) ADM Hunter.
(c) CDR Dupree.
(d) SN Farris.
13. How long does it take for Dirk to get the helicopter the Martha Ann is carrying from a cold start into the air?
(a) One hour.
(b) 10 minutes.
(c) 90 seconds.
(d) 40 seconds.
14. What does Dirk communicate about the sub's crew in his initial message back to the Martha Ann?
(a) There's evidence of a struggle but no bodies.
(b) It's as though they never existed.
(c) He doesn't mention the crew.
(d) They're dead.
15. Why does Dirk's gun do him no good in the shootout with the gray Dodge van that tails him after he leaves the museum?
(a) He can't reach it.
(b) He never loaded the ammunition.
(c) It is stolen out of his car.
(d) His aim is terrible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nickname of the area where the Starbuck went missing?
2. What does the Marine guard at ADM Hunter's building on Pearl Harbor base ask Dirk for when he reports?
3. What is "one of the finest undercover salvage operations in the world?"
4. What does "bare steerageway" mean?
5. How does the Starbuck hit the seafloor?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)