|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to CDR Dupree's log, which compartment in the sub is the only compartment breached?
(a) The reactor room.
(b) The aft missile cabin.
(c) The forward torpedo room.
(d) The captain's quarters.
2. Roughly how large is the Martha Ann in Dirk's estimate?
(a) 2,000 tons.
(b) 12,000 tons.
(c) 60,000 lbs.
(d) 240,000 lbs.
3. What is a "fo'c's'le"?
(a) It is an abbreviation for "forecastle," or the forward deck of a ship.
(b) It's a variant spelling of "foxhole," and means the crew's lounging area.
(c) It's a space in the forward hull where extra anchor chain is kept.
(d) It's a nautical term for any area of the ship where the enlisted crew go to get away from the officers.
4. Why does the Martha Ann appear old and rusted?
(a) The sailor's are more interested in maintaining the battleships than a salvage ship.
(b) She is salvaged from the scrap yard.
(c) Clever camouflage paint.
(d) She's over forty years old.
5. Which seamen could have survived immediately after "the disaster" befell the Starbuck according to the logbook?
(b) CDR Dupree, the ship's doctor and LT Carter.
(c) All of the ship's galley crew.
(d) LT Carter, SN Farris, and SN Metford.
6. How does Summer escape Dirk's hotel room?
(a) By knocking Dirk out and running.
(b) By knotting towels together and escaping out the window.
(c) By threatening to call the police.
(d) By threatening Dirk with a gun.
7. Who is the Chief Director of the Naval Underwater and Marine Agency?
(a) Dirk Pitt.
(b) Captain Orl Cinana.
(c) Admiral Leigh Hunter.
(d) Admiral James Sandecker.
8. Why does Dirk stop to talk to George Papaaloa?
(a) To shake off the person tailing him.
(b) To learn more about Pacific Islands.
(c) To find out what he knows about the Pacific Vortex.
(d) To find out what he knows about Summer.
9. Who is Dirk Pitt's father?
(a) A Representative from Minnesota, on the House Armed Services Committee.
(b) Chief, Joint Chiefs of Staff.
(c) A Senator from California, Chairman of the Naval Appropriations Committee.
(d) White House Chief of Staff.
10. What branch of the military does Dirk belong to?
(a) US Navy.
(b) US Coast Guard.
(c) US Army.
(d) US Air Force.
11. How long does it take Dirk to recover himself after Summer attacks him and he knocks her out enough to get them both back to his hotel room?
(a) 10 minutes.
(b) 15 minutes.
(c) One hour.
(d) Four minutes.
12. How is the boarding party killed according to the San Gabriel's report?
(a) They are victims of the killers "from the mist."
(b) They are not killed.
(c) They are blown up with the Lillie Marlene before they can take her in tow.
(d) They drowned.
13. How does Admiral Hunter know that Dirk has never served on a submarine?
(a) ADM Hunter has never heard of Dirk.
(b) Dirk does not understand the significance of what he read.
(c) Dirk does not recognize the communications capsule.
(d) Dirk does not have the right military bearing.
14. What is Dirk's military rank?
(c) Lieutenant Colonel.
15. How many distress signals have been received from ships that have gone down where the Starbuck is last reported?
(c) Several thousand.
(d) Only two.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dirk argue that the Martha Ann's bevy of detection equipment may not keep her safe come nightfall?
2. How long is the hull of the Starbuck?
3. When is strict radio silence imposed for a US Navy submarine?
4. By ADM Hunter's estimation, how deep is the water where the Starbuck sinks?
5. What is the weather as the Martha Ann gets underway?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)