|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does LCDR Boland mark the position of the submarine in case they are forced to abandon the site?
(a) An electronic waterproof signal transmitter.
(b) A dye marker.
(c) An anchored liferaft.
(d) A floating flag buoy.
2. What is "one of the finest undercover salvage operations in the world?"
(a) The Special Projects division of NUMA, Dirk Pitt's command.
(b) The 101st Salvage Fleet, ADM Hunter's command.
(c) NUMA, ADM Sandecker's command.
(d) The Russian Special Undersea Operators Progam.
3. Why is Dirk beginning to distrust his situational awareness after his visit to the museum and George Papaaloa?
(a) He can't concentrate on business because he keeps thinking about Adrian.
(b) He is seeing beady-eyed malefactors everywhere.
(c) He is feeling naïve and vulnerable after his encounter with Summer.
(d) He is tired and hungover.
4. How does Dirk carry Summer to the hotel?
(a) Over his shoulder.
(b) Drags her by the arms.
(c) Cradled in his arms.
(d) On his back.
5. Why does Dirk argue that the Martha Ann's bevy of detection equipment may not keep her safe come nightfall?
(a) The fog that supposedly comes up at night may blind the sensors.
(b) Her sensors are blind in the dark.
(c) She has no defenses, the sailors carry no more than sidearms.
(d) Any electrical malfunction will leave her defenseless.
6. How many ships have gone missing where the Starbuck is last reported?
7. How does Admiral Hunter know that Dirk has never served on a submarine?
(a) Dirk does not recognize the communications capsule.
(b) Dirk does not understand the significance of what he read.
(c) Dirk does not have the right military bearing.
(d) ADM Hunter has never heard of Dirk.
8. Why is one reason the Navy doesn't consider the Starbuck's commanding officer's last statement of position to be credible?
(a) They don't trust ADM Hunter.
(b) They don't believe in the Pacific Vortex.
(c) They believe the Russians planted the manuscript.
(d) They believe Dirk is perpetrating a hoax.
9. What is the hull number of the Starbuck?
10. What does Dirk wear to report for his first day of duty with ADM Hunter?
(a) Jeans and a sport coat.
(b) Full military dress uniform.
(c) Jeans and a Hawaiian shirt.
(d) A white suit with a pink shirt.
11. What is Dirk doing at the opening of the book?
(b) Visiting with friends.
(d) Riding his bike.
12. Where is Dirk at the opening of the book?
(a) On a beach called Kaena Point, HI.
(b) Canea Bay, Phillippines.
(c) At Kaena Cove, Japan.
(d) On a volcano called Mount Kaena, HI.
13. What smell is associated with the attack on the Lillie Marlene?
(a) Melting plastic.
14. Who is the Chief Director of the Naval Underwater and Marine Agency?
(a) Captain Orl Cinana.
(b) Dirk Pitt.
(c) Admiral James Sandecker.
(d) Admiral Leigh Hunter.
15. What is the radio code for having found the Starbuck?
(a) Nothing. Strict radio silence is essential.
(b) "Stopped all engines to repair a burned shaft bearing."
(c) "Returning to base for repairs to starboard engine."
(d) "The cat's in the cradle."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dirk's plan of action on the Martha Ann with only two hours to go before dark falls?
2. How is the Starbuck's reactor room different from previous nuclear submarines?
3. Why doesn't Dirk want to leave the Martha Ann on the helicopter to go and get the salvage team?
4. Why does ADM Hunter think CDR Dupree ordered his captain's log delivered to him?
5. Who is Dirk initially talking to in the bar at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)