|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By ADM Hunter's estimation, how deep is the water where the Starbuck sinks?
(a) 1 nautical mile.
(b) 160 feet.
(c) 500 feet.
(d) 3,000 yards.
2. What unusual equipment does LT Stanley sight on the first wreck that the Martha Ann discovers?
(a) A farm tractor.
(b) A satellite dish.
(c) A gyroscope.
(d) An old Volkswagen beetle.
3. What branch of the military does Dirk belong to?
(a) US Air Force.
(b) US Army.
(c) US Coast Guard.
(d) US Navy.
4. How does Commander Dupree report the final resting place of the Starbuck?
(a) Precise geo-coordinates, which, if correct, would put the submarine on land.
(b) As unknown.
(c) The same as the sub's last reported position.
(d) Precise geo-coordinates, 500 miles from the last reported position.
5. Why does Dirk take Summer back to his hotel room after he knocks her out?
(a) To rape her.
(b) To kidnap her.
(c) To kill her.
(d) To get information from her.
6. How many consonants does the Hawaiian language have?
7. Who is the narrator of Chapter 2?
(a) ADM Hunter.
(b) LT Carter.
(c) CDR Dupree.
(d) Dirk Pratt.
8. How long does it take Dirk to recover himself after Summer attacks him and he knocks her out enough to get them both back to his hotel room?
(a) Four minutes.
(b) 15 minutes.
(c) 10 minutes.
(d) One hour.
9. What color is Summer's hair?
(c) Dark brown.
(d) Dirty blonde.
10. What is the nickname of the area where the Starbuck went missing?
(a) The Laurentian Abyss.
(b) The South China Crevasse.
(c) The Pacific Vortex.
(d) The Bermuda Triangle.
11. What is Dirk's room number?
12. Besides his direction on delivering his message, what is CDR Dupree's final request?
(a) Do not search for us.
(b) Let the world know there ARE extra-terrestrials on Earth.
(c) Do not let them get us.
(d) Please communicate with my family.
13. How long is the hull of the Starbuck?
(a) 500 feet.
(b) 150 feet.
(c) 242 feet.
(d) 320 feet.
14. How does Dirk decide who to give the manuscript to?
(a) The manuscript is written by Admiral Leigh Hunter.
(b) Dirk guesses that Admiral Leigh Hunter might be interested.
(c) The manuscript is addressed to Admiral Leigh Hunter.
(d) Admiral Leigh Hunter is the only military command officer Dirk knows in the area.
15. What does George Papaaloa ask Dirk about progress on that that Dirk had recently been diving to find?
(a) The burial cave of King Kamehameha.
(b) Iolani Palace.
(d) The burial grounds of the Koolau tribe.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dirk suggest the captain's log from the Starbuck is forged?
2. What unique feature of the Martha Ann's navigational equipment makes her totally crew-independent?
3. What is the city of origin painted on the Martha Ann's hull?
4. What is Dirk's military rank?
5. What weather phenomenon features in both the reports of the Lillie Marlene and the Starbuck?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)