|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides his direction on delivering his message, what is CDR Dupree's final request?
(a) Do not let them get us.
(b) Let the world know there ARE extra-terrestrials on Earth.
(c) Do not search for us.
(d) Please communicate with my family.
2. What is the radio code for having found the Starbuck?
(a) "The cat's in the cradle."
(b) Nothing. Strict radio silence is essential.
(c) "Returning to base for repairs to starboard engine."
(d) "Stopped all engines to repair a burned shaft bearing."
3. How does the Starbuck hit the seafloor?
(a) Perfectly parallel.
(b) Upside down.
(c) Stern first, almost perpendicular.
(d) Bow first.
4. How long has it been since someone researched the sunken island at George Papaaloa's museum?
(a) Two weeks ago.
(b) During the Vietnam War.
(c) Since right after World War Two.
(d) No one has ever asked for information about it from George.
5. What branch of the military does Dirk belong to?
(a) US Air Force.
(b) US Army.
(c) US Coast Guard.
(d) US Navy.
6. How many distress signals have been received from ships that have gone down where the Starbuck is last reported?
(b) Several thousand.
(c) Only two.
7. How does Summer escape Dirk's hotel room?
(a) By knotting towels together and escaping out the window.
(b) By knocking Dirk out and running.
(c) By threatening to call the police.
(d) By threatening Dirk with a gun.
8. What does George Papaaloa ask Dirk about progress on that that Dirk had recently been diving to find?
(a) Iolani Palace.
(b) The burial grounds of the Koolau tribe.
(c) The burial cave of King Kamehameha.
9. How does Dirk describe the smell of a working port as he arrives for his departure on the Martha Ann?
(a) Nauseating and faintly reminiscent of times at sea he'd rather forget.
(b) Reeking of seaweed and petrol with a touch of seagull crap mixed in.
(c) Oil, gasoline, tar and smoke, with a tinge of saltwater.
(d) A heady aroma of saltwater and Hawaiian flowers with just a hint of gasoline to indicate the work at hand.
10. What is the Martha Ann's depth at the start of their search pattern?
(a) 5,670 feet.
(b) 16,234 feet.
(c) 14 fathoms.
(d) 478 feet.
11. What is the weather as the Martha Ann gets underway?
(a) Air is warm, sky is clear, sea is calm.
(b) Wind beginning to pick up, storm's coming.
(c) Ominously still with almost suspiciously flat seas.
(d) Red sky at night and gentle swells.
12. Why is diving on a wrecked submarine different from a wrecked ship for Dirk?
(a) Because he's diving with only one partner this time.
(b) Because the submarine doesn't appear to have been wrecked at all.
(c) Because he feels like he knows this crew from reading the manuscript.
(d) Because ships are supposed to be on the surface of the water, whereas the sub is in its natural environment.
13. How many ships have gone missing where the Starbuck is last reported?
14. What accounts for the ocean turning a greenish color as the Martha Ann approaches the shallower water of the seamount?
(a) Vegetation growing on the seamount.
(b) Toxic waste spewing from the submarine's damaged reactor.
(c) Source unknown.
(d) A dye marker in the water.
15. Who does Dirk call first to report the incident with the gray van?
(a) Adrian Hunter.
(b) ADM Hunter.
(c) ADM Sandecker.
(d) The Honolulu Police.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does ADM Hunter think the crew could have still escaped and survived?
2. How does Dirk carry Summer to the hotel?
3. In spite of all of the odd people Dirk has met since the beginning of the book, who is it that still haunts him as he gets underway on the Martha Ann?
4. What is the city of origin painted on the Martha Ann's hull?
5. What is Dirk's psychological assessment of sailors in relation to the intention of the staging of the Lillie Marlene?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)