Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dirk's new assignment now that he has read the submarine log and reported it?
(a) He is to help in the salvage operation of the Starbuck.
(b) He is to investigate Russian activity that led to the loss of the Starbuck.
(c) He is to help in the government cover-up of the loss of the Starbuck.
(d) He is go deep undercover to avoid any connection with the missing submarine.
2. What is unusual about the security on the <I>Martha Ann</I>?
(a) They require three forms of id from Dirk in addition to official orders from ADM Hunter.
(b) They conduct a full body pat-down search prior to allowing entrance to the ship.
(c) The security guards operate in total darkness.
(d) There is none, it's not supposed to be a Naval vessel.
3. What unusual equipment does LT Stanley sight on the first wreck that the <I>Martha Ann</I> discovers?
(a) A farm tractor.
(b) An old Volkswagen beetle.
(c) A satellite dish.
(d) A gyroscope.
4. Who is Dirk Pitt's father?
(a) A Senator from California, Chairman of the Naval Appropriations Committee.
(b) A Representative from Minnesota, on the House Armed Services Committee.
(c) White House Chief of Staff.
(d) Chief, Joint Chiefs of Staff.
5. How many distress signals have been received from ships that have gone down where the <I>Starbuck</I> is last reported?
(a) Several thousand.
(b) Only two.
6. What is Dirk's official professional title?
(a) Naval Appropriations Director.
(b) Director of the National Maritime Domain Council.
(c) Special Projects Director of the National Underwater and Marine Agency.
(d) National Undersea Warfare, Chief Counsel.
7. How does Dirk suggest the captain's log from the <I>Starbuck</I> is forged?
(a) Using the actual captain's log, his correspondence and diary.
(b) By raiding his home for handwriting exemplars.
(c) By forcing the captain to write it using the threat of torture.
(d) Using a special tracing machine.
8. Why does ADM Hunter think the crew could have still escaped and survived?
(a) There are plenty of life rafts.
(b) There is a chase ship three nautical miles away.
(c) The distance from the sub escape hatches to the surface is easily reachable with or without SCUBA gear.
(d) There are fishing trawler's nearby the crew could have reached.
9. What does the message say that the NUMA zoologist received against a microphone he is using to record fish sounds?
(a) Einstein's relativity equation.
(b) A physical description of a coven of mermaids.
(c) An equation for finding the water pressure at the depth the microphone is located.
(d) Directions to the nearest port.
10. Why is Dirk beginning to distrust his situational awareness after his visit to the museum and George Papaaloa?
(a) He is feeling naïve and vulnerable after his encounter with Summer.
(b) He is seeing beady-eyed malefactors everywhere.
(c) He can't concentrate on business because he keeps thinking about Adrian.
(d) He is tired and hungover.
11. What is Barf the Magic Dragon?
(a) A sea shanty the crew of the <I>Martha Ann</I> made up.
(b) An anti-seasickness remedy.
(c) The <I>Martha Ann's</I> mascot.
(d) A shark killing gun.
12. Who says "As long as there are seas, ships, and men, there will be strange unsolved mysteries."?
(a) Captain Cinana.
(b) Dirk Pitt.
(c) ADM Sandecker
(d) CDR Dupree.
13. Roughly how large is the <I>Martha Ann</I> in Dirk's estimate?
(a) 2,000 tons.
(b) 60,000 lbs.
(c) 12,000 tons.
(d) 240,000 lbs.
14. What does the Marine guard at ADM Hunter's building on Pearl Harbor base ask Dirk for when he reports?
(a) His identification.
(b) His orders.
(c) His weapon.
(d) Recommendations on a barber.
15. How is the <I>Starbuck's</I> reactor room different from previous nuclear submarines?
(a) It is located aft instead of forward.
(b) It is combined with the engine room and moved to the forward area of the boat.
(c) It is ten times smaller but the reactors are twenty times more powerful.
(d) It is lead shielded to protect the crew better.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dirk send a message back to the <I>Martha Ann</I> from the <I>Starbuck</I>?
2. Who is the author of the manuscript, excerpts of which are transcribed in Chapter 2?
3. How does Commander Dupree report the final resting place of the <I>Starbuck</I>?
4. Why does Dirk take Summer back to his hotel room after he knocks her out?
5. What is Dirk wearing when he goes to see Admiral Hunter for the first time?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)