|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What branch of the military does Dirk belong to?
(a) US Navy.
(b) US Air Force.
(c) US Coast Guard.
(d) US Army.
2. How many consonants does the Hawaiian language have?
3. What is the nickname of the area where the Starbuck went missing?
(a) The Bermuda Triangle.
(b) The South China Crevasse.
(c) The Laurentian Abyss.
(d) The Pacific Vortex.
4. How long has it been since Dirk has had a vacation?
(a) Six months.
(b) Three years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) Four years.
5. What does Dirk find in the water when he swims out beyond the breakers at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) A yellow scuba tank marked Russian Navy.
(b) A red life jacket attached to a piece of a Naval uniform.
(c) A canister encased in yellow plastic marked US Navy.
(d) A yellow waterproof book with the name of an Admiral on it.
6. What is "one of the finest undercover salvage operations in the world?"
(a) NUMA, ADM Sandecker's command.
(b) The Special Projects division of NUMA, Dirk Pitt's command.
(c) The Russian Special Undersea Operators Progam.
(d) The 101st Salvage Fleet, ADM Hunter's command.
7. What color is Summer's hair?
(c) Dirty blonde.
(d) Dark brown.
8. What color are Dirk's eyes?
9. What are Boland's instructions upon hearing Dirk's message from the supposedly wrecked submarine?
(a) Return to the Martha Ann at once.
(b) Standby for further instructions on how to make the boat operational.
(c) Have March review the operating procedures for the boat's ballast tanks.
(d) Standby for a relief crew.
10. How long can the reactor continue to run unattended?
(a) Over a decade.
(b) Six to twelve months.
(c) No more than four to five weeks.
11. How does Summer escape Dirk's hotel room?
(a) By threatening Dirk with a gun.
(b) By knotting towels together and escaping out the window.
(c) By knocking Dirk out and running.
(d) By threatening to call the police.
12. What does the manuscript turn out to be?
(a) 26 pages from the submarine Starbuck's log.
(b) Mostly undreadable.
(c) Half of an Admiral's autobiography.
(d) An unauthorized history of naval submarines.
13. Who says: "I shot down Admiral Sandecker and his staff over the China Sea."?
(a) CDR Denver.
(b) ADM Hunter.
(c) LCDR Boland.
(d) Dirk Pitt.
14. By ADM Hunter's estimation, how deep is the water where the Starbuck sinks?
(a) 500 feet.
(b) 1 nautical mile.
(c) 3,000 yards.
(d) 160 feet.
15. What is Dirk's new assignment now that he has read the submarine log and reported it?
(a) He is to investigate Russian activity that led to the loss of the Starbuck.
(b) He is go deep undercover to avoid any connection with the missing submarine.
(c) He is to help in the government cover-up of the loss of the Starbuck.
(d) He is to help in the salvage operation of the Starbuck.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the hull number of the Starbuck?
2. Why is diving on a wrecked submarine different from a wrecked ship for Dirk?
3. How long is the hull of the Starbuck?
4. How is the boarding party killed according to the San Gabriel's report?
5. What is unusual about the security on the Martha Ann?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)