|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Dirk want to leave the Martha Ann on the helicopter to go and get the salvage team?
(a) Because he's afraid to fly in the dark.
(b) He doesn't want to miss the action on the Martha Ann.
(c) He doesn't believe the sub can be salvaged.
(d) Because if something happens, there is no alternate escape route for the crew.
2. How many ships have gone missing where the Starbuck is last reported?
3. How does Summer escape Dirk's hotel room?
(a) By threatening to call the police.
(b) By knotting towels together and escaping out the window.
(c) By threatening Dirk with a gun.
(d) By knocking Dirk out and running.
4. What is the first year of record for missing ships in the Pacific Vortex?
5. How long does it take Dirk to recover himself after Summer attacks him and he knocks her out enough to get them both back to his hotel room?
(a) 10 minutes.
(b) One hour.
(c) 15 minutes.
(d) Four minutes.
6. Where is Dirk at the opening of the book?
(a) On a volcano called Mount Kaena, HI.
(b) At Kaena Cove, Japan.
(c) On a beach called Kaena Point, HI.
(d) Canea Bay, Phillippines.
7. Roughly how large is the Martha Ann in Dirk's estimate?
(a) 60,000 lbs.
(b) 240,000 lbs.
(c) 12,000 tons.
(d) 2,000 tons.
8. What is Dirk's psychological assessment of sailors in relation to the intention of the staging of the Lillie Marlene?
(a) That they are mostly scientific in their outlook and it would take an extraordinary level of danger to convince them to stay away from an area of ocean.
(b) That most sailors are as mercenary as any other crew.
(c) That their innermost fears are connected to drowning or dying at sea.
(d) That they are committed to a life spent at sea no matter what.
9. By ADM Hunter's estimation, how deep is the water where the Starbuck sinks?
(a) 1 nautical mile.
(b) 160 feet.
(c) 500 feet.
(d) 3,000 yards.
10. What does George Papaaloa ask Dirk about progress on that that Dirk had recently been diving to find?
(a) The burial cave of King Kamehameha.
(b) The burial grounds of the Koolau tribe.
(c) Iolani Palace.
11. What does the Marine guard at ADM Hunter's building on Pearl Harbor base ask Dirk for when he reports?
(a) His weapon.
(b) Recommendations on a barber.
(c) His identification.
(d) His orders.
12. What is the correct phrasing to ask someone to repeat their message or to indicate you are repeating your message?
(a) Say again.
(b) Read back.
(c) Second time.
13. Why does Dirk take Summer back to his hotel room after he knocks her out?
(a) To rape her.
(b) To kill her.
(c) To get information from her.
(d) To kidnap her.
14. Why does Dirk argue that the Martha Ann's bevy of detection equipment may not keep her safe come nightfall?
(a) She has no defenses, the sailors carry no more than sidearms.
(b) Her sensors are blind in the dark.
(c) The fog that supposedly comes up at night may blind the sensors.
(d) Any electrical malfunction will leave her defenseless.
15. What is "one of the finest undercover salvage operations in the world?"
(a) The Special Projects division of NUMA, Dirk Pitt's command.
(b) The 101st Salvage Fleet, ADM Hunter's command.
(c) The Russian Special Undersea Operators Progam.
(d) NUMA, ADM Sandecker's command.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Barf the Magic Dragon?
2. According to CDR Dupree's log, which compartment in the sub is the only compartment breached?
3. How does Dirk describe the smell of a working port as he arrives for his departure on the Martha Ann?
4. What or who is Andrei Vyborg?
5. What is Dirk's plan of action on the Martha Ann with only two hours to go before dark falls?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)