|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nickname of the area where the Starbuck went missing?
(a) The Pacific Vortex.
(b) The Laurentian Abyss.
(c) The South China Crevasse.
(d) The Bermuda Triangle.
2. Roughly how large is the Martha Ann in Dirk's estimate?
(a) 60,000 lbs.
(b) 2,000 tons.
(c) 12,000 tons.
(d) 240,000 lbs.
3. Why is Dirk beginning to distrust his situational awareness after his visit to the museum and George Papaaloa?
(a) He can't concentrate on business because he keeps thinking about Adrian.
(b) He is seeing beady-eyed malefactors everywhere.
(c) He is tired and hungover.
(d) He is feeling naïve and vulnerable after his encounter with Summer.
4. How does Dirk decide who to give the manuscript to?
(a) The manuscript is addressed to Admiral Leigh Hunter.
(b) The manuscript is written by Admiral Leigh Hunter.
(c) Dirk guesses that Admiral Leigh Hunter might be interested.
(d) Admiral Leigh Hunter is the only military command officer Dirk knows in the area.
5. Why doesn't Dirk want to leave the Martha Ann on the helicopter to go and get the salvage team?
(a) He doesn't want to miss the action on the Martha Ann.
(b) He doesn't believe the sub can be salvaged.
(c) Because if something happens, there is no alternate escape route for the crew.
(d) Because he's afraid to fly in the dark.
6. What is a "fo'c's'le"?
(a) It's a variant spelling of "foxhole," and means the crew's lounging area.
(b) It's a space in the forward hull where extra anchor chain is kept.
(c) It's a nautical term for any area of the ship where the enlisted crew go to get away from the officers.
(d) It is an abbreviation for "forecastle," or the forward deck of a ship.
7. What strikes Dirk as odd about the galley and lounge area of the Starbuck on his initial recon mission with LT March?
(a) There are stacks of dirty dishes, but no soap.
(b) There is no paper and nothing perishable.
(c) The tv is still working.
(d) There is no corrosion on anything.
8. What does Dirk communicate about the sub's crew in his initial message back to the Martha Ann?
(a) They're dead.
(b) He doesn't mention the crew.
(c) There's evidence of a struggle but no bodies.
(d) It's as though they never existed.
9. Who is the Chief Director of the Naval Underwater and Marine Agency?
(a) Admiral Leigh Hunter.
(b) Dirk Pitt.
(c) Admiral James Sandecker.
(d) Captain Orl Cinana.
10. What are the two most important things about the sub's condition that Dirk reports to Boland?
(a) Her electronics have not corroded and the missiles are intact.
(b) It is not flooded and still has power from the port reactor.
(c) The slight movement of the boat indicates she is not stuck fast to the seafloor and her water pumps are still working.
(d) It is only partially flooded and the lights are still on.
11. Whose responsibility is it to plot the new search area for the Martha Ann after Dirk's interpretation of the evidence?
(a) LCDR Boland.
(b) CDR Denver.
(c) CDR Denver.
(d) ADM Hunter.
12. How is the boarding party killed according to the San Gabriel's report?
(a) They are blown up with the Lillie Marlene before they can take her in tow.
(b) They are victims of the killers "from the mist."
(c) They are not killed.
(d) They drowned.
13. How does LCDR Boland mark the position of the submarine in case they are forced to abandon the site?
(a) A floating flag buoy.
(b) An anchored liferaft.
(c) A dye marker.
(d) An electronic waterproof signal transmitter.
14. What does Dirk discover in Summer's hand when he goes to pick her up and take her back to the hotel?
(a) His wallet.
(b) A syringe.
(c) A knife.
(d) A hammer.
15. How does Dirk carry Summer to the hotel?
(a) Cradled in his arms.
(b) Over his shoulder.
(c) Drags her by the arms.
(d) On his back.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says: "I shot down Admiral Sandecker and his staff over the China Sea."?
2. Why does Dirk argue that the Martha Ann's bevy of detection equipment may not keep her safe come nightfall?
3. What about the Starbuck's engine room strikes Dirk and LT March as suspicious?
4. What is unusual about the security on the Martha Ann?
5. Besides his direction on delivering his message, what is CDR Dupree's final request?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)