|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color are Dirk's eyes?
2. What is Barf the Magic Dragon?
(a) The Martha Ann's mascot.
(b) A shark killing gun.
(c) An anti-seasickness remedy.
(d) A sea shanty the crew of the Martha Ann made up.
3. What does George Papaaloa ask Dirk about progress on that that Dirk had recently been diving to find?
(a) Iolani Palace.
(b) The burial grounds of the Koolau tribe.
(d) The burial cave of King Kamehameha.
4. What is the correct phrasing to ask someone to repeat their message or to indicate you are repeating your message?
(a) Read back.
(b) Say again.
(c) Second time.
5. How does Commander Dupree report the final resting place of the Starbuck?
(a) Precise geo-coordinates, which, if correct, would put the submarine on land.
(b) Precise geo-coordinates, 500 miles from the last reported position.
(c) As unknown.
(d) The same as the sub's last reported position.
6. What about the Starbuck's engine room strikes Dirk and LT March as suspicious?
(a) The engines are still running.
(b) It is only partially flooded.
(c) It is clean and well maintained.
(d) There is no maintenance log.
7. What are Boland's instructions upon hearing Dirk's message from the supposedly wrecked submarine?
(a) Standby for a relief crew.
(b) Standby for further instructions on how to make the boat operational.
(c) Return to the Martha Ann at once.
(d) Have March review the operating procedures for the boat's ballast tanks.
8. What is Dirk's military rank?
(a) Lieutenant Colonel.
9. How long can the reactor continue to run unattended?
(a) Over a decade.
(c) No more than four to five weeks.
(d) Six to twelve months.
10. Why is diving on a wrecked submarine different from a wrecked ship for Dirk?
(a) Because he's diving with only one partner this time.
(b) Because ships are supposed to be on the surface of the water, whereas the sub is in its natural environment.
(c) Because the submarine doesn't appear to have been wrecked at all.
(d) Because he feels like he knows this crew from reading the manuscript.
11. What color is Summer's hair?
(c) Dark brown.
(d) Dirty blonde.
12. How long does it take Dirk to recover himself after Summer attacks him and he knocks her out enough to get them both back to his hotel room?
(a) 10 minutes.
(b) Four minutes.
(c) 15 minutes.
(d) One hour.
13. How does Summer escape Dirk's hotel room?
(a) By threatening Dirk with a gun.
(b) By knotting towels together and escaping out the window.
(c) By threatening to call the police.
(d) By knocking Dirk out and running.
14. Why is one reason the Navy doesn't consider the Starbuck's commanding officer's last statement of position to be credible?
(a) They believe Dirk is perpetrating a hoax.
(b) They don't believe in the Pacific Vortex.
(c) They don't trust ADM Hunter.
(d) They believe the Russians planted the manuscript.
15. Why does the Martha Ann appear old and rusted?
(a) Clever camouflage paint.
(b) She's over forty years old.
(c) The sailor's are more interested in maintaining the battleships than a salvage ship.
(d) She is salvaged from the scrap yard.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has it been since Dirk has had a vacation?
2. Who is Adrian Hunter?
3. Who is Dirk initially talking to in the bar at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel?
4. How many distress signals have been received from ships that have gone down where the Starbuck is last reported?
5. What happens to the driver of the gray Dodge van that tries to run Dirk off the road?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)