|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the message say that the NUMA zoologist received against a microphone he is using to record fish sounds?
(a) An equation for finding the water pressure at the depth the microphone is located.
(b) Einstein's relativity equation.
(c) A physical description of a coven of mermaids.
(d) Directions to the nearest port.
2. What is the city of origin painted on the Martha Ann's hull?
3. What is Dirk's official professional title?
(a) Naval Appropriations Director.
(b) Director of the National Maritime Domain Council.
(c) National Undersea Warfare, Chief Counsel.
(d) Special Projects Director of the National Underwater and Marine Agency.
4. What does the Marine guard at ADM Hunter's building on Pearl Harbor base ask Dirk for when he reports?
(a) His weapon.
(b) Recommendations on a barber.
(c) His identification.
(d) His orders.
5. Who does Dirk call first to report the incident with the gray van?
(a) The Honolulu Police.
(b) ADM Hunter.
(c) Adrian Hunter.
(d) ADM Sandecker.
6. How many consonants does the Hawaiian language have?
7. What kind of car does Dirk drive?
(a) A Volkswagen beetle.
(b) A Ford Mustang.
(c) An AC Cobra.
(d) An antique Chevy pickup.
8. What does the manuscript turn out to be?
(a) An unauthorized history of naval submarines.
(b) Half of an Admiral's autobiography.
(c) Mostly undreadable.
(d) 26 pages from the submarine Starbuck's log.
9. Why does Dirk speculate that the Navy has equipped the Martha Ann with a crew of midgets?
(a) Because he's trying to make a joke with the exasperatingly solemn Boland.
(b) Because the escape helo only carries 15, too few for a normal crew of a vessel like the Martha Ann.
(c) Because so far the only crew members he's seen have all been under 5' 5".
(d) Because the doorways are abnormally low on the Martha Ann.
10. How long does it take for Dirk to get the helicopter the Martha Ann is carrying from a cold start into the air?
(a) One hour.
(b) 90 seconds.
(c) 10 minutes.
(d) 40 seconds.
11. Who says "As long as there are seas, ships, and men, there will be strange unsolved mysteries."?
(a) ADM Sandecker
(b) Captain Cinana.
(c) Dirk Pitt.
(d) CDR Dupree.
12. What is the first year of record for missing ships in the Pacific Vortex?
13. What is Dirk wearing when he goes to see Admiral Hunter for the first time?
(a) His business suit.
(b) His wetsuit.
(c) His military uniform.
(d) His bathing suit.
14. How long has it been since someone researched the sunken island at George Papaaloa's museum?
(a) No one has ever asked for information about it from George.
(b) Two weeks ago.
(c) Since right after World War Two.
(d) During the Vietnam War.
15. What does Dirk wear to report for his first day of duty with ADM Hunter?
(a) Jeans and a sport coat.
(b) Jeans and a Hawaiian shirt.
(c) A white suit with a pink shirt.
(d) Full military dress uniform.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dirk carry Summer to the hotel?
2. Why does Dirk take Summer back to his hotel room after he knocks her out?
3. What is the Martha Ann's depth at the start of their search pattern?
4. How long has it been since Dirk has had a vacation?
5. How long is the hull of the Starbuck?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)