|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unusual equipment does LT Stanley sight on the first wreck that the Martha Ann discovers?
(a) A gyroscope.
(b) A satellite dish.
(c) A farm tractor.
(d) An old Volkswagen beetle.
2. What is a "fo'c's'le"?
(a) It's a space in the forward hull where extra anchor chain is kept.
(b) It's a nautical term for any area of the ship where the enlisted crew go to get away from the officers.
(c) It is an abbreviation for "forecastle," or the forward deck of a ship.
(d) It's a variant spelling of "foxhole," and means the crew's lounging area.
3. Why does Dirk's gun do him no good in the shootout with the gray Dodge van that tails him after he leaves the museum?
(a) He never loaded the ammunition.
(b) It is stolen out of his car.
(c) He can't reach it.
(d) His aim is terrible.
4. How many distress signals have been received from ships that have gone down where the Starbuck is last reported?
(a) Several thousand.
(c) Only two.
5. How long can the reactor continue to run unattended?
(a) Six to twelve months.
(c) Over a decade.
(d) No more than four to five weeks.
6. Why is the Starbuck's final position report physically impossible?
(a) The submarine is not fast enough to have covered the mileage between her two last position reports.
(b) The water is too shallow for her location.
(c) The geo-coordinates put her position on land.
(d) There is no trace of the submarine at that position.
7. What is Dirk's official professional title?
(a) Director of the National Maritime Domain Council.
(b) Special Projects Director of the National Underwater and Marine Agency.
(c) National Undersea Warfare, Chief Counsel.
(d) Naval Appropriations Director.
8. What or who is Andrei Vyborg?
(a) A Russian fishing trawler.
(b) A Russian military hero in maritime legend.
(c) A Russian ship captain famous for his adventures in the area of the Pacific Vortex.
(d) A Russian intelligence ship.
9. What does "bare steerageway" mean?
(a) All covers are removed from the navigational equipment and she is to be steered manually.
(b) Clutch ahead.
(c) Just enough speed for a ship to be accurately steered.
(d) The sailors driving the ship are doing so naked.
10. Who is Dirk Pitt's father?
(a) A Representative from Minnesota, on the House Armed Services Committee.
(b) Chief, Joint Chiefs of Staff.
(c) White House Chief of Staff.
(d) A Senator from California, Chairman of the Naval Appropriations Committee.
11. How many consonants does the Hawaiian language have?
12. What are Boland's instructions upon hearing Dirk's message from the supposedly wrecked submarine?
(a) Standby for further instructions on how to make the boat operational.
(b) Standby for a relief crew.
(c) Return to the Martha Ann at once.
(d) Have March review the operating procedures for the boat's ballast tanks.
13. What is "one of the finest undercover salvage operations in the world?"
(a) NUMA, ADM Sandecker's command.
(b) The 101st Salvage Fleet, ADM Hunter's command.
(c) The Russian Special Undersea Operators Progam.
(d) The Special Projects division of NUMA, Dirk Pitt's command.
14. Why does ADM Sandecker say that Dirk is a security risk because he's read the manuscript?
(a) Because foreign governments want to find the missing sub.
(b) Because the Russians attacked the sub in international waters and want to cover it up.
(c) Because the Navy wants to cover up the submarine Captain's errors.
(d) Because Japan will want to cover up their involvement with the missing submarine.
15. What color are Dirk's eyes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dirk find in the water when he swims out beyond the breakers at the beginning of Chapter 1?
2. How does Dirk carry Summer to the hotel?
3. What does George Papaaloa ask Dirk about progress on that that Dirk had recently been diving to find?
4. Who says to Dirk: "If you keep staring at me, I'll be forced to charge you admission."?
5. What ship is responsible for reporting the incident to the Lillie Marlene?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)