|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the narrator of Chapter 2?
(a) LT Carter.
(b) ADM Hunter.
(c) CDR Dupree.
(d) Dirk Pratt.
2. What military decoration does Dirk specifically mention having NOT earned?
(a) An Achievement Medal.
(b) A Meritorious Team Commendation.
(c) A Meritorious Unit Commendation.
(d) A Good Conduct Medal.
3. What is Dirk's psychological assessment of sailors in relation to the intention of the staging of the <I>Lillie Marlene</I>?
(a) That their innermost fears are connected to drowning or dying at sea.
(b) That they are committed to a life spent at sea no matter what.
(c) That they are mostly scientific in their outlook and it would take an extraordinary level of danger to convince them to stay away from an area of ocean.
(d) That most sailors are as mercenary as any other crew.
4. How does Dirk know that Summer is lying about her reasons for wanting information on Adrian Hunter?
(a) He doesn't, but he suspects that she is.
(b) Adrian told him a different story.
(c) He finds papers on her that tell a different story.
(d) He knows that Adrian does not have access to classified information.
5. What does George Papaaloa ask Dirk about progress on that that Dirk had recently been diving to find?
(a) The burial grounds of the Koolau tribe.
(b) The burial cave of King Kamehameha.
(d) Iolani Palace.
6. Why does ADM Sandecker say that Dirk is a security risk because he's read the manuscript?
(a) Because foreign governments want to find the missing sub.
(b) Because the Russians attacked the sub in international waters and want to cover it up.
(c) Because Japan will want to cover up their involvement with the missing submarine.
(d) Because the Navy wants to cover up the submarine Captain's errors.
7. How long is the hull of the <I>Starbuck</I>?
(a) 242 feet.
(b) 500 feet.
(c) 150 feet.
(d) 320 feet.
8. Why is the <I>Starbuck's</I> final position report physically impossible?
(a) The water is too shallow for her location.
(b) The geo-coordinates put her position on land.
(c) The submarine is not fast enough to have covered the mileage between her two last position reports.
(d) There is no trace of the submarine at that position.
9. What unique feature of the <I>Martha Ann's</I> navigational equipment makes her totally crew-independent?
(a) She can be scuttled remotely in case of emergency.
(b) Her auto-pilot is interconnected with her GPS allowing her to navigate a pre-constructed route independently.
(c) Her central controls can be overridden remotely.
(d) She is entirely crew-dependent.
10. How is the <I>Starbuck's</I> reactor room different from previous nuclear submarines?
(a) It is located aft instead of forward.
(b) It is combined with the engine room and moved to the forward area of the boat.
(c) It is ten times smaller but the reactors are twenty times more powerful.
(d) It is lead shielded to protect the crew better.
11. What is the city of origin painted on the <I>Martha Ann's</I> hull?
12. Why doesn't Dirk want to leave the <I>Martha Ann</I> on the helicopter to go and get the salvage team?
(a) Because he's afraid to fly in the dark.
(b) He doesn't believe the sub can be salvaged.
(c) Because if something happens, there is no alternate escape route for the crew.
(d) He doesn't want to miss the action on the Martha Ann.
13. What is unusual about the security on the <I>Martha Ann</I>?
(a) They conduct a full body pat-down search prior to allowing entrance to the ship.
(b) There is none, it's not supposed to be a Naval vessel.
(c) They require three forms of id from Dirk in addition to official orders from ADM Hunter.
(d) The security guards operate in total darkness.
14. By ADM Hunter's estimation, how deep is the water where the <I>Starbuck</I> sinks?
(a) 500 feet.
(b) 1 nautical mile.
(c) 3,000 yards.
(d) 160 feet.
15. What does Dirk start carrying before when he realizes the danger he has put himself in before reporting to Admiral Hunter?
(a) A false set of credentials.
(b) A gun.
(c) A diver's knife.
(d) His military identification.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dirk find in the water when he swims out beyond the breakers at the beginning of Chapter 1?
2. What is a "fo'c's'le"?
3. How long has it been since Dirk has had a vacation?
4. What is the radio code for having found the <I>Starbuck</I>?
5. What is Dirk doing at the opening of the book?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)