|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In spite of all of the odd people Dirk has met since the beginning of the book, who is it that still haunts him as he gets underway on the Martha Ann?
(b) The other man researching the Kanoli legend.
(c) George Papaaloa.
(d) Adrian Hunter.
2. What is Dirk's official professional title?
(a) Naval Appropriations Director.
(b) National Undersea Warfare, Chief Counsel.
(c) Special Projects Director of the National Underwater and Marine Agency.
(d) Director of the National Maritime Domain Council.
3. What military decoration does Dirk specifically mention having NOT earned?
(a) A Good Conduct Medal.
(b) A Meritorious Team Commendation.
(c) An Achievement Medal.
(d) A Meritorious Unit Commendation.
4. How long is the hull of the Starbuck?
(a) 150 feet.
(b) 320 feet.
(c) 242 feet.
(d) 500 feet.
5. What kind of car does Dirk drive?
(a) An antique Chevy pickup.
(b) A Volkswagen beetle.
(c) An AC Cobra.
(d) A Ford Mustang.
6. Why does ADM Sandecker say that Dirk is a security risk because he's read the manuscript?
(a) Because Japan will want to cover up their involvement with the missing submarine.
(b) Because the Navy wants to cover up the submarine Captain's errors.
(c) Because foreign governments want to find the missing sub.
(d) Because the Russians attacked the sub in international waters and want to cover it up.
7. What is a "fo'c's'le"?
(a) It's a nautical term for any area of the ship where the enlisted crew go to get away from the officers.
(b) It is an abbreviation for "forecastle," or the forward deck of a ship.
(c) It's a space in the forward hull where extra anchor chain is kept.
(d) It's a variant spelling of "foxhole," and means the crew's lounging area.
8. What are Boland's instructions upon hearing Dirk's message from the supposedly wrecked submarine?
(a) Have March review the operating procedures for the boat's ballast tanks.
(b) Standby for a relief crew.
(c) Standby for further instructions on how to make the boat operational.
(d) Return to the Martha Ann at once.
9. Why does Dirk take Summer back to his hotel room after he knocks her out?
(a) To kill her.
(b) To kidnap her.
(c) To get information from her.
(d) To rape her.
10. What is the time lapse between the disaster that befell the ship and the beginning of the narrative that ADM Hunter relates?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Six months.
(d) Five days.
11. What is Dirk's new assignment now that he has read the submarine log and reported it?
(a) He is to investigate Russian activity that led to the loss of the Starbuck.
(b) He is to help in the salvage operation of the Starbuck.
(c) He is go deep undercover to avoid any connection with the missing submarine.
(d) He is to help in the government cover-up of the loss of the Starbuck.
12. Where is Dirk at the opening of the book?
(a) On a volcano called Mount Kaena, HI.
(b) Canea Bay, Phillippines.
(c) At Kaena Cove, Japan.
(d) On a beach called Kaena Point, HI.
13. How does Summer escape Dirk's hotel room?
(a) By threatening to call the police.
(b) By knotting towels together and escaping out the window.
(c) By threatening Dirk with a gun.
(d) By knocking Dirk out and running.
14. What unique feature of the Martha Ann's navigational equipment makes her totally crew-independent?
(a) Her central controls can be overridden remotely.
(b) She can be scuttled remotely in case of emergency.
(c) She is entirely crew-dependent.
(d) Her auto-pilot is interconnected with her GPS allowing her to navigate a pre-constructed route independently.
15. What branch of the military does Dirk belong to?
(a) US Coast Guard.
(b) US Navy.
(c) US Army.
(d) US Air Force.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dirk doing at the opening of the book?
2. What does the message say that the NUMA zoologist received against a microphone he is using to record fish sounds?
3. What is Barf the Magic Dragon?
4. What smell is associated with the attack on the Lillie Marlene?
5. Who says: "I shot down Admiral Sandecker and his staff over the China Sea."?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)