|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Adrian Hunter?
(a) Dirk's girlfriend.
(b) A government operative trying to kill Dirk.
(c) A spy trying to kill Admiral Hunter.
(d) Admiral Hunter's daughter.
2. Which seamen could have survived immediately after "the disaster" befell the <I>Starbuck</I> according to the logbook?
(b) CDR Dupree, the ship's doctor and LT Carter.
(c) All of the ship's galley crew.
(d) LT Carter, SN Farris, and SN Metford.
3. How long has it been since someone researched the sunken island at George Papaaloa's museum?
(a) Since right after World War Two.
(b) Two weeks ago.
(c) During the Vietnam War.
(d) No one has ever asked for information about it from George.
4. Who is the narrator of Chapter 2?
(a) LT Carter.
(b) CDR Dupree.
(c) Dirk Pratt.
(d) ADM Hunter.
5. What does Dirk start carrying before when he realizes the danger he has put himself in before reporting to Admiral Hunter?
(a) His military identification.
(b) A gun.
(c) A diver's knife.
(d) A false set of credentials.
6. What ship is responsible for reporting the incident to the <I>Lillie Marlene</I>?
(a) The <I>San Gabriel</I>.
(b) The <I>Starbuck</I>.
(c) The <I>Vincent Tourmalier</I>.
(d) The <I>Verhusson</I>.
7. Who is Dirk Pitt's father?
(a) A Representative from Minnesota, on the House Armed Services Committee.
(b) Chief, Joint Chiefs of Staff.
(c) A Senator from California, Chairman of the Naval Appropriations Committee.
(d) White House Chief of Staff.
8. What unusual equipment does LT Stanley sight on the first wreck that the <I>Martha Ann</I> discovers?
(a) A farm tractor.
(b) A satellite dish.
(c) A gyroscope.
(d) An old Volkswagen beetle.
9. What does Dirk communicate about the sub's crew in his initial message back to the <I>Martha Ann</I>?
(a) There's evidence of a struggle but no bodies.
(b) He doesn't mention the crew.
(c) They're dead.
(d) It's as though they never existed.
10. How many ships have gone missing where the <I>Starbuck</I> is last reported?
11. Besides his direction on delivering his message, what is CDR Dupree's final request?
(a) Do not search for us.
(b) Do not let them get us.
(c) Let the world know there ARE extra-terrestrials on Earth.
(d) Please communicate with my family.
12. How does Dirk decide who to give the manuscript to?
(a) The manuscript is addressed to Admiral Leigh Hunter.
(b) The manuscript is written by Admiral Leigh Hunter.
(c) Admiral Leigh Hunter is the only military command officer Dirk knows in the area.
(d) Dirk guesses that Admiral Leigh Hunter might be interested.
13. What weather phenomenon features in both the reports of the <I>Lillie Marlene</I> and the <I>Starbuck</I>?
(a) A rogue wave.
(b) A maelstrom or vortex.
(c) A waterspout.
(d) An isolated fog bank.
14. How long has it been since Dirk has had a vacation?
(a) Four years.
(b) Three years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) Six months.
15. According to CDR Dupree's log, which compartment in the sub is the only compartment breached?
(a) The captain's quarters.
(b) The reactor room.
(c) The forward torpedo room.
(d) The aft missile cabin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many distress signals have been received from ships that have gone down where the <I>Starbuck</I> is last reported?
2. How does Dirk describe the smell of a working port as he arrives for his departure on the <I>Martha Ann</I>?
3. How does Dirk send a message back to the <I>Martha Ann</I> from the <I>Starbuck</I>?
4. Why is diving on a wrecked submarine different from a wrecked ship for Dirk?
5. Who does Dirk call first to report the incident with the gray van?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)