|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to CDR Dupree's log, which compartment in the sub is the only compartment breached?
(a) The forward torpedo room.
(b) The aft missile cabin.
(c) The reactor room.
(d) The captain's quarters.
2. How does Admiral Hunter know that Dirk has never served on a submarine?
(a) Dirk does not understand the significance of what he read.
(b) ADM Hunter has never heard of Dirk.
(c) Dirk does not have the right military bearing.
(d) Dirk does not recognize the communications capsule.
3. How long can the reactor continue to run unattended?
(a) Over a decade.
(b) No more than four to five weeks.
(c) Six to twelve months.
4. Who says "As long as there are seas, ships, and men, there will be strange unsolved mysteries."?
(a) Dirk Pitt.
(b) CDR Dupree.
(c) Captain Cinana.
(d) ADM Sandecker
5. How does Dirk know that Summer is lying about her reasons for wanting information on Adrian Hunter?
(a) He doesn't, but he suspects that she is.
(b) He finds papers on her that tell a different story.
(c) He knows that Adrian does not have access to classified information.
(d) Adrian told him a different story.
6. What is "one of the finest undercover salvage operations in the world?"
(a) NUMA, ADM Sandecker's command.
(b) The Special Projects division of NUMA, Dirk Pitt's command.
(c) The Russian Special Undersea Operators Progam.
(d) The 101st Salvage Fleet, ADM Hunter's command.
7. What is Dirk doing at the opening of the book?
(b) Visiting with friends.
(d) Riding his bike.
8. How does Commander Dupree report the final resting place of the Starbuck?
(a) Precise geo-coordinates, 500 miles from the last reported position.
(b) The same as the sub's last reported position.
(c) Precise geo-coordinates, which, if correct, would put the submarine on land.
(d) As unknown.
9. Who says to Dirk: "If you keep staring at me, I'll be forced to charge you admission."?
(a) Capt. Orl Cinana
(b) The blonde girl from Dirk's fifth grade class.
(c) Summer Moran.
(d) Adrian Hunter.
10. How long does it take Dirk to recover himself after Summer attacks him and he knocks her out enough to get them both back to his hotel room?
(a) Four minutes.
(b) One hour.
(c) 15 minutes.
(d) 10 minutes.
11. What strikes Dirk as odd about the galley and lounge area of the Starbuck on his initial recon mission with LT March?
(a) There are stacks of dirty dishes, but no soap.
(b) There is no corrosion on anything.
(c) There is no paper and nothing perishable.
(d) The tv is still working.
12. What does Dirk communicate about the sub's crew in his initial message back to the Martha Ann?
(a) He doesn't mention the crew.
(b) It's as though they never existed.
(c) They're dead.
(d) There's evidence of a struggle but no bodies.
13. Who does Dirk call first to report the incident with the gray van?
(a) The Honolulu Police.
(b) Adrian Hunter.
(c) ADM Sandecker.
(d) ADM Hunter.
14. Who is the author of the manuscript, excerpts of which are transcribed in Chapter 2?
(a) ADM Hunter.
(b) CDR Dupree.
(c) Dirk Pratt.
(d) SN Farris.
15. Who is Adrian Hunter?
(a) A government operative trying to kill Dirk.
(b) Admiral Hunter's daughter.
(c) A spy trying to kill Admiral Hunter.
(d) Dirk's girlfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dirk carry Summer to the hotel?
2. What is Dirk's new assignment now that he has read the submarine log and reported it?
3. What smell is associated with the attack on the Lillie Marlene?
4. What does Dirk first do with the manuscript he finds?
5. Why does ADM Hunter think CDR Dupree ordered his captain's log delivered to him?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)