|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first year of record for missing ships in the Pacific Vortex?
2. What is the nickname of the area where the <I>Starbuck</I> went missing?
(a) The South China Crevasse.
(b) The Pacific Vortex.
(c) The Laurentian Abyss.
(d) The Bermuda Triangle.
3. Who does Dirk call first to report the incident with the gray van?
(a) ADM Sandecker.
(b) ADM Hunter.
(c) The Honolulu Police.
(d) Adrian Hunter.
4. What about the <I>Starbuck's</I> engine room strikes Dirk and LT March as suspicious?
(a) It is clean and well maintained.
(b) It is only partially flooded.
(c) The engines are still running.
(d) There is no maintenance log.
5. Why does Dirk speculate that the Navy has equipped the <I>Martha Ann</I> with a crew of midgets?
(a) Because the doorways are abnormally low on the Martha Ann.
(b) Because so far the only crew members he's seen have all been under 5' 5".
(c) Because the escape helo only carries 15, too few for a normal crew of a vessel like the Martha Ann.
(d) Because he's trying to make a joke with the exasperatingly solemn Boland.
6. What are Boland's instructions upon hearing Dirk's message from the supposedly wrecked submarine?
(a) Return to the Martha Ann at once.
(b) Have March review the operating procedures for the boat's ballast tanks.
(c) Standby for further instructions on how to make the boat operational.
(d) Standby for a relief crew.
7. How does LCDR Boland mark the position of the submarine in case they are forced to abandon the site?
(a) An electronic waterproof signal transmitter.
(b) A dye marker.
(c) An anchored liferaft.
(d) A floating flag buoy.
8. How long does it take for Dirk to get the helicopter the <I>Martha Ann</I> is carrying from a cold start into the air?
(a) 40 seconds.
(b) 10 minutes.
(c) 90 seconds.
(d) One hour.
9. How long has it been since someone researched the sunken island at George Papaaloa's museum?
(a) During the Vietnam War.
(b) No one has ever asked for information about it from George.
(c) Two weeks ago.
(d) Since right after World War Two.
10. What does Dirk first do with the manuscript he finds?
(a) He tosses it in his knapsack for later.
(b) He reads half of it and then puts it away when he realizes it is not for his eyes.
(c) He reads it in its entirety.
(d) He puts it back where he found it.
11. What does the Marine guard at ADM Hunter's building on Pearl Harbor base ask Dirk for when he reports?
(a) His weapon.
(b) His identification.
(c) Recommendations on a barber.
(d) His orders.
12. How does Commander Dupree report the final resting place of the <I>Starbuck</I>?
(a) Precise geo-coordinates, 500 miles from the last reported position.
(b) The same as the sub's last reported position.
(c) As unknown.
(d) Precise geo-coordinates, which, if correct, would put the submarine on land.
13. What is Dirk's official professional title?
(a) Naval Appropriations Director.
(b) Special Projects Director of the National Underwater and Marine Agency.
(c) Director of the National Maritime Domain Council.
(d) National Undersea Warfare, Chief Counsel.
14. How does George Papaaloa describe the last researcher of the sunken island legend?
(a) About 6 feet tall, green eyes, black hair.
(b) A midget with red hair.
(c) As a god.
(d) A giant with golden eyes.
15. What is the radio code for having found the <I>Starbuck</I>?
(a) "Stopped all engines to repair a burned shaft bearing."
(b) "The cat's in the cradle."
(c) "Returning to base for repairs to starboard engine."
(d) Nothing. Strict radio silence is essential.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George Papaaloa ask Dirk about progress on that that Dirk had recently been diving to find?
2. Why is the <I>Starbuck's</I> final position report physically impossible?
3. What is Dirk's psychological assessment of sailors in relation to the intention of the staging of the <I>Lillie Marlene</I>?
4. What strikes Dirk as odd about the galley and lounge area of the <I>Starbuck</I> on his initial recon mission with LT March?
5. In spite of all of the odd people Dirk has met since the beginning of the book, who is it that still haunts him as he gets underway on the <I>Martha Ann</I>?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)