|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Summer escape Dirk's hotel room?
(a) By threatening to call the police.
(b) By knocking Dirk out and running.
(c) By threatening Dirk with a gun.
(d) By knotting towels together and escaping out the window.
2. What is the radio code for having found the Starbuck?
(a) Nothing. Strict radio silence is essential.
(b) "The cat's in the cradle."
(c) "Returning to base for repairs to starboard engine."
(d) "Stopped all engines to repair a burned shaft bearing."
3. What is Dirk wearing when he goes to see Admiral Hunter for the first time?
(a) His business suit.
(b) His military uniform.
(c) His bathing suit.
(d) His wetsuit.
4. What weather phenomenon features in both the reports of the Lillie Marlene and the Starbuck?
(a) A rogue wave.
(b) A maelstrom or vortex.
(c) A waterspout.
(d) An isolated fog bank.
5. What is unusual about the security on the Martha Ann?
(a) There is none, it's not supposed to be a Naval vessel.
(b) They conduct a full body pat-down search prior to allowing entrance to the ship.
(c) They require three forms of id from Dirk in addition to official orders from ADM Hunter.
(d) The security guards operate in total darkness.
6. Why does the Martha Ann appear old and rusted?
(a) She's over forty years old.
(b) She is salvaged from the scrap yard.
(c) Clever camouflage paint.
(d) The sailor's are more interested in maintaining the battleships than a salvage ship.
7. How long does it take Dirk to recover himself after Summer attacks him and he knocks her out enough to get them both back to his hotel room?
(a) Four minutes.
(b) 10 minutes.
(c) One hour.
(d) 15 minutes.
8. What is the correct phrasing to ask someone to repeat their message or to indicate you are repeating your message?
(a) Second time.
(b) Read back.
(c) Say again.
9. How many distress signals have been received from ships that have gone down where the Starbuck is last reported?
(a) Several thousand.
(d) Only two.
10. What does Dirk discover in Summer's hand when he goes to pick her up and take her back to the hotel?
(a) A syringe.
(b) A knife.
(c) His wallet.
(d) A hammer.
11. What ship is responsible for reporting the incident to the Lillie Marlene?
(a) The Verhusson.
(b) The San Gabriel.
(c) The Starbuck.
(d) The Vincent Tourmalier.
12. What is the first year of record for missing ships in the Pacific Vortex?
13. What does "bare steerageway" mean?
(a) Just enough speed for a ship to be accurately steered.
(b) Clutch ahead.
(c) All covers are removed from the navigational equipment and she is to be steered manually.
(d) The sailors driving the ship are doing so naked.
14. What is Dirk's psychological assessment of sailors in relation to the intention of the staging of the Lillie Marlene?
(a) That they are committed to a life spent at sea no matter what.
(b) That they are mostly scientific in their outlook and it would take an extraordinary level of danger to convince them to stay away from an area of ocean.
(c) That most sailors are as mercenary as any other crew.
(d) That their innermost fears are connected to drowning or dying at sea.
15. Which seamen could have survived immediately after "the disaster" befell the Starbuck according to the logbook?
(a) LT Carter, SN Farris, and SN Metford.
(c) All of the ship's galley crew.
(d) CDR Dupree, the ship's doctor and LT Carter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dirk suggest the captain's log from the Starbuck is forged?
2. Who is Adrian Hunter?
3. Why does Dirk stop to talk to George Papaaloa?
4. Why is diving on a wrecked submarine different from a wrecked ship for Dirk?
5. Who says: "I shot down Admiral Sandecker and his staff over the China Sea."?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)