|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Marine guard at ADM Hunter's building on Pearl Harbor base ask Dirk for when he reports?
(a) His identification.
(b) Recommendations on a barber.
(c) His orders.
(d) His weapon.
2. How long has it been since someone researched the sunken island at George Papaaloa's museum?
(a) Since right after World War Two.
(b) No one has ever asked for information about it from George.
(c) Two weeks ago.
(d) During the Vietnam War.
3. How does George Papaaloa describe the last researcher of the sunken island legend?
(a) A giant with golden eyes.
(b) About 6 feet tall, green eyes, black hair.
(c) A midget with red hair.
(d) As a god.
4. According to CDR Dupree's log, which compartment in the sub is the only compartment breached?
(a) The reactor room.
(b) The aft missile cabin.
(c) The forward torpedo room.
(d) The captain's quarters.
5. Whose responsibility is it to plot the new search area for the Martha Ann after Dirk's interpretation of the evidence?
(a) ADM Hunter.
(b) CDR Denver.
(c) LCDR Boland.
(d) CDR Denver.
6. Why is the Starbuck's final position report physically impossible?
(a) The water is too shallow for her location.
(b) There is no trace of the submarine at that position.
(c) The geo-coordinates put her position on land.
(d) The submarine is not fast enough to have covered the mileage between her two last position reports.
7. Why does Dirk stop to talk to George Papaaloa?
(a) To find out what he knows about Summer.
(b) To shake off the person tailing him.
(c) To find out what he knows about the Pacific Vortex.
(d) To learn more about Pacific Islands.
8. How is the boarding party killed according to the San Gabriel's report?
(a) They are blown up with the Lillie Marlene before they can take her in tow.
(b) They are victims of the killers "from the mist."
(c) They drowned.
(d) They are not killed.
9. Why does Dirk speculate that the Navy has equipped the Martha Ann with a crew of midgets?
(a) Because he's trying to make a joke with the exasperatingly solemn Boland.
(b) Because so far the only crew members he's seen have all been under 5' 5".
(c) Because the doorways are abnormally low on the Martha Ann.
(d) Because the escape helo only carries 15, too few for a normal crew of a vessel like the Martha Ann.
10. What does Dirk wear to report for his first day of duty with ADM Hunter?
(a) Jeans and a Hawaiian shirt.
(b) Full military dress uniform.
(c) Jeans and a sport coat.
(d) A white suit with a pink shirt.
11. What does Dirk find in the water when he swims out beyond the breakers at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) A yellow waterproof book with the name of an Admiral on it.
(b) A yellow scuba tank marked Russian Navy.
(c) A canister encased in yellow plastic marked US Navy.
(d) A red life jacket attached to a piece of a Naval uniform.
12. How does the Starbuck hit the seafloor?
(a) Upside down.
(b) Perfectly parallel.
(c) Stern first, almost perpendicular.
(d) Bow first.
13. What is the hull number of the Starbuck?
14. What is "one of the finest undercover salvage operations in the world?"
(a) The 101st Salvage Fleet, ADM Hunter's command.
(b) The Special Projects division of NUMA, Dirk Pitt's command.
(c) The Russian Special Undersea Operators Progam.
(d) NUMA, ADM Sandecker's command.
15. Roughly how large is the Martha Ann in Dirk's estimate?
(a) 60,000 lbs.
(b) 12,000 tons.
(c) 2,000 tons.
(d) 240,000 lbs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the correct phrasing to ask someone to repeat their message or to indicate you are repeating your message?
2. What is Dirk's psychological assessment of sailors in relation to the intention of the staging of the Lillie Marlene?
3. What about the Starbuck's engine room strikes Dirk and LT March as suspicious?
4. In spite of all of the odd people Dirk has met since the beginning of the book, who is it that still haunts him as he gets underway on the Martha Ann?
5. How does LCDR Boland mark the position of the submarine in case they are forced to abandon the site?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)