|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does George Papaaloa describe the last researcher of the sunken island legend?
(a) A giant with golden eyes.
(b) As a god.
(c) About 6 feet tall, green eyes, black hair.
(d) A midget with red hair.
2. How long does the Navy extend searches for its missing vessels or crew?
(a) he Navy does not conduct search and rescue, the Coast Guard does.
(c) 72 hours.
(d) 60 days.
3. Why does Dirk argue that the Martha Ann's bevy of detection equipment may not keep her safe come nightfall?
(a) She has no defenses, the sailors carry no more than sidearms.
(b) Her sensors are blind in the dark.
(c) The fog that supposedly comes up at night may blind the sensors.
(d) Any electrical malfunction will leave her defenseless.
4. What are the two most important things about the sub's condition that Dirk reports to Boland?
(a) The slight movement of the boat indicates she is not stuck fast to the seafloor and her water pumps are still working.
(b) Her electronics have not corroded and the missiles are intact.
(c) It is only partially flooded and the lights are still on.
(d) It is not flooded and still has power from the port reactor.
5. What is Dirk doing at the opening of the book?
(b) Riding his bike.
(d) Visiting with friends.
6. What is the city of origin painted on the Martha Ann's hull?
7. How does Admiral Hunter know that Dirk has never served on a submarine?
(a) Dirk does not understand the significance of what he read.
(b) Dirk does not recognize the communications capsule.
(c) ADM Hunter has never heard of Dirk.
(d) Dirk does not have the right military bearing.
8. What is Dirk's official professional title?
(a) Naval Appropriations Director.
(b) National Undersea Warfare, Chief Counsel.
(c) Director of the National Maritime Domain Council.
(d) Special Projects Director of the National Underwater and Marine Agency.
9. What smell is associated with the attack on the Lillie Marlene?
(c) Melting plastic.
10. Who says to Dirk: "If you keep staring at me, I'll be forced to charge you admission."?
(a) The blonde girl from Dirk's fifth grade class.
(b) Adrian Hunter.
(c) Capt. Orl Cinana
(d) Summer Moran.
11. Roughly how large is the Martha Ann in Dirk's estimate?
(a) 60,000 lbs.
(b) 2,000 tons.
(c) 240,000 lbs.
(d) 12,000 tons.
12. Why is the Starbuck's final position report physically impossible?
(a) The geo-coordinates put her position on land.
(b) There is no trace of the submarine at that position.
(c) The water is too shallow for her location.
(d) The submarine is not fast enough to have covered the mileage between her two last position reports.
13. How does Summer escape Dirk's hotel room?
(a) By knotting towels together and escaping out the window.
(b) By knocking Dirk out and running.
(c) By threatening to call the police.
(d) By threatening Dirk with a gun.
14. What is Dirk wearing when he goes to see Admiral Hunter for the first time?
(a) His business suit.
(b) His military uniform.
(c) His wetsuit.
(d) His bathing suit.
15. What is the correct phrasing to ask someone to repeat their message or to indicate you are repeating your message?
(b) Say again.
(c) Second time.
(d) Read back.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dirk's psychological assessment of sailors in relation to the intention of the staging of the Lillie Marlene?
2. How long has it been since someone researched the sunken island at George Papaaloa's museum?
3. What is the Martha Ann's depth at the start of their search pattern?
4. What does Dirk communicate about the sub's crew in his initial message back to the Martha Ann?
5. Why doesn't Dirk want to leave the Martha Ann on the helicopter to go and get the salvage team?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)