|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is one reason the Navy doesn't consider the Starbuck's commanding officer's last statement of position to be credible?
(a) They believe the Russians planted the manuscript.
(b) They believe Dirk is perpetrating a hoax.
(c) They don't trust ADM Hunter.
(d) They don't believe in the Pacific Vortex.
2. Why does Dirk argue that the Martha Ann's bevy of detection equipment may not keep her safe come nightfall?
(a) She has no defenses, the sailors carry no more than sidearms.
(b) Any electrical malfunction will leave her defenseless.
(c) The fog that supposedly comes up at night may blind the sensors.
(d) Her sensors are blind in the dark.
3. What does "noncom" mean as it is used in the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Non-communicative, meaning unable or unwilling to speak.
(b) Non-commissioned, meaning not an authorized Naval vessel.
(c) Non-commissioned, meaning not an officer.
(d) Not-in-compliance, meaning the person or vessel is not obeying instructions.
4. What is the hull number of the Starbuck?
5. How many ships have gone missing where the Starbuck is last reported?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of "Them" are on the Starbuck according to SN Farris?
2. What military decoration does Dirk specifically mention having NOT earned?
3. What is the Martha Ann's depth at the start of their search pattern?
4. Who is the narrator of Chapter 2?
5. What threat does Dirk face being left behind as as the others ride the air bubble from the Starbuck's escape hatch to the surface?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)