|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who forms the Committee for Industrial Organization?
2. What does Julie tell Dobie after George's funeral?
3. According to Mikie, what could threaten Dobie's job?
4. What do some of the men do when they lose their jobs?
5. Who watches Mary's children when Mary goes out to work?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
2. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, what ongoing crisis is taking place in Mike and Mary's household? What do Mike and Mary not agree on as a resolution to their problem?
3. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
4. What situation leads to Dobie moving back to Pittsburgh? What job does he take? What historic event happens in the country around this time?
5. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
6. When Mary collapses during her pregnancy, she is given instructions by the doctor to rest during the day when "she feels like she need to". What are Mary's responsibilities at this point in the story? What do Mary and Mike decide to do to lighten her responsibilities?
7. What directives does the company give the mill workers on how to vote? Does Mike follow the directives?
8. Where do Mike and Mary move to at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10? What do they have to do to get extra money now that there are no boarders?
9. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
10. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although George travels thousands of miles for a better life in America, what is he not willing to do in order to be a part of the community? What are some possible reasons for his apathy? How could he benefit by not being apathetic?
Essay Topic 2
After Mike's death, Mary is left with four small children. Explore decisions which Mary must make to survive with her children. Does Mary make good decisions? Give details for support.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in sequence specific actions that Dobie takes concerning unions that exemplify his tenacity for fighting for his beliefs.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)