|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Agnes unsure of receiving her inheritance from Mary?
2. What does Julie tell Dobie after George's funeral?
3. How many boarders live with Mike and Mary?
4. With how many children has Mike left Mary?
5. What household item would Julie like to purchase next?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dobie's private life change during the Depression? What happens in his work life?
2. Who owns the hotel in East Pittsburgh where Dobie stays? Why is this a good thing for Dobie? How does Dobie make money with his electrical skills?
3. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
4. When Mary collapses during her pregnancy, she is given instructions by the doctor to rest during the day when "she feels like she need to". What are Mary's responsibilities at this point in the story? What do Mary and Mike decide to do to lighten her responsibilities?
5. Where do Mike and Mary move to at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10? What do they have to do to get extra money now that there are no boarders?
6. Describe Mary's life and her children's after Mike's death.
7. What does the company remind the workers of during mid-term elections? What is the name of the candidate that Mike votes for in the election? What could happen as a result of Mike's choice?
8. What happens after the rank -and-file delegates meet from different lodges? What does the union do to help the bargaining committees? Why is the unions' stance unfair?
9. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, what ongoing crisis is taking place in Mike and Mary's household? What do Mike and Mary not agree on as a resolution to their problem?
10. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary Kracha is the second generation "immigrant". She marries Mike Dobrecak. Compare/contrast Mary's husband, Mike, and her father, George.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Mary as an adult and her father. Explore the possibility of role reversal.
Essay Topic 3
What characteristics does George have which would be valuable in running a successful business? Which characteristics would be a detriment? Explain.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)