|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who forms the Committee for Industrial Organization?
2. Which candidate is Mike's choice in the election?
3. What position is Dobie elected to in the new union?
4. What political party does Mike's candidate represent?
5. What makes Mike and Mary happy about their boarding business decision?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
2. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
3. What happens with Dobie and Julie's financial situation as a result of no strike and an improving economy?
4. In Chapter 1 of Part 4, which character becomes the third generation's main character of the story line? Describe this character.
5. What is the extent of Dobie's involvement with the union activities at the end of Part 4, Chapter 11 ? Explain.
6. What directives does the company give the mill workers on how to vote? Does Mike follow the directives?
7. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
8. What does the company remind the workers of during mid-term elections? What is the name of the candidate that Mike votes for in the election? What could happen as a result of Mike's choice?
9. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
10. What does the company warn workers about concerning union recognition? Is Dobie swayed by the warnings? Explain how his feelings towards the company's warnings mirror his father's voting practices earlier in the book.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Just as each generation of immigrant does not remain static, the mill's work environment changes as well. Explore the metaphor between each generation of immigrant and the work environment. What does each immigrant contribute to the growth of the mill?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Dorta's realistic approach to life helps her weather life's economic and emotional storms. Give details from at least three events from the story for support.
Essay Topic 3
Compare/contrast Dorta and Elena as wives of first generation immigrants.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)