|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is George buried next to?
2. What makes Mike and Mary happy about their boarding business decision?
3. What do Mike and Mary decide about their boarding business?
4. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to union membership?
5. With how many children has Mike left Mary?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Dorta's realistic approach to life helps her weather life's economic and emotional storms. Give details from at least three events from the story for support.
Essay Topic 2
After Mike's death, Mary is left with four small children. Explore decisions which Mary must make to survive with her children. Does Mary make good decisions? Give details for support.
Essay Topic 3
Dobie represents the third generation immigrant. Describe Dobie's childhood after his father's death. What characteristics are "forged" in Dobie from his childhood experiences that will hold him in good stead as a man?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)