|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Agnes unsure of receiving her inheritance from Mary?
2. What does Julie tell Dobie after George's funeral?
3. What do Mike and Mary decide about their boarding business?
4. What event is causing economic conditions to worsen in the factories and mills?
5. According to Mikie, what could threaten Dobie's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What brings about labor problems at the mill? What does Johnny do as a result of the unrest?
2. What does the company remind the workers of during mid-term elections? What is the name of the candidate that Mike votes for in the election? What could happen as a result of Mike's choice?
3. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
4. How does Dobie's private life change during the Depression? What happens in his work life?
5. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
6. What does the company warn workers about concerning union recognition? Is Dobie swayed by the warnings? Explain how his feelings towards the company's warnings mirror his father's voting practices earlier in the book.
7. Explain why voting for the Socialist Party would be in line with Mike's concerns about the mill at this point.
8. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
9. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to unions in steel towns? What does this mean for union workers such as Dobie?
10. Why does George come to live with Mary? Is George's behavior towards Mary that of a loving father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dobie represents the third generation immigrant. Describe Dobie's childhood after his father's death. What characteristics are "forged" in Dobie from his childhood experiences that will hold him in good stead as a man?
Essay Topic 2
George lies to his sister Francka about being robbed. Explore why George would find it necessary to lie to Francka. Give at least two other instances from the story where George does not trust family members with the truth.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the metaphor between the book's title and the steel mill.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)