|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dobie learn that there will be no steel mill strike?
2. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 10, where are Mike and Mary living?
3. Who does management finally agree to meet with after the rank-and-file workers are ignored?
4. For what party does Mike vote in the election?
5. What does Mary do within one month of Mike's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does George come to live with Mary? Is George's behavior towards Mary that of a loving father?
2. How does Dobie's private life change during the Depression? What happens in his work life?
3. What does the company warn workers about concerning union recognition? Is Dobie swayed by the warnings? Explain how his feelings towards the company's warnings mirror his father's voting practices earlier in the book.
4. In Chapter 1 of Part 4, which character becomes the third generation's main character of the story line? Describe this character.
5. What directives does the company give the mill workers on how to vote? Does Mike follow the directives?
6. What situation leads to Dobie moving back to Pittsburgh? What job does he take? What historic event happens in the country around this time?
7. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
8. Explain why voting for the Socialist Party would be in line with Mike's concerns about the mill at this point.
9. What does Julie tell Dobie after the funeral? Why has their financial situation gotten even worse with George's death?
10. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George lies to his sister Francka about being robbed. Explore why George would find it necessary to lie to Francka. Give at least two other instances from the story where George does not trust family members with the truth.
Essay Topic 2
Compare/contrast Dorta and Elena as wives of first generation immigrants.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in sequence specific actions that Dobie takes concerning unions that exemplify his tenacity for fighting for his beliefs.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)