|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Mary and Mike in the spring?
2. How long does Dobie work in Detroit?
3. How much money does Mary receive from the accident compensation plan?
4. What do Mike and Mary decide about their boarding business?
5. How does George's death affect Dobie and Julie's financial situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the company warn workers about concerning union recognition? Is Dobie swayed by the warnings? Explain how his feelings towards the company's warnings mirror his father's voting practices earlier in the book.
2. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, what ongoing crisis is taking place in Mike and Mary's household? What do Mike and Mary not agree on as a resolution to their problem?
3. In Chapter 1 of Part 4, which character becomes the third generation's main character of the story line? Describe this character.
4. What situation leads to Dobie moving back to Pittsburgh? What job does he take? What historic event happens in the country around this time?
5. What does the company remind the workers of during mid-term elections? What is the name of the candidate that Mike votes for in the election? What could happen as a result of Mike's choice?
6. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
7. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
8. Who owns the hotel in East Pittsburgh where Dobie stays? Why is this a good thing for Dobie? How does Dobie make money with his electrical skills?
9. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
10. What does Julie tell Dobie after the funeral? Why has their financial situation gotten even worse with George's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Dobie do after his mother's death that would indicate his loyalty to his family? Give at least three examples and provide details for support.
Essay Topic 2
Compare/contrast Dorta and Elena as wives of first generation immigrants.
Essay Topic 3
What specific benefits are realized by each succeeding generation, beginning with George's journey to America?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)