|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does management finally agree to meet with after the rank-and-file workers are ignored?
2. How does George's death affect Dobie and Julie's financial situation?
3. What is the steel mill indicating to workers during mid-term elections?
4. How much money does Mary receive from the accident compensation plan?
5. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 10, where are Mike and Mary living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Dobie and Julie's financial situation as a result of no strike and an improving economy?
2. Describe Mary's life and her children's after Mike's death.
3. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
4. What situation leads to Dobie moving back to Pittsburgh? What job does he take? What historic event happens in the country around this time?
5. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
6. Where do Mike and Mary move to at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10? What do they have to do to get extra money now that there are no boarders?
7. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
8. What happens after the rank -and-file delegates meet from different lodges? What does the union do to help the bargaining committees? Why is the unions' stance unfair?
9. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
10. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, what ongoing crisis is taking place in Mike and Mary's household? What do Mike and Mary not agree on as a resolution to their problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the metaphor between the book's title and the steel mill.
Essay Topic 2
Just as each generation of immigrant does not remain static, the mill's work environment changes as well. Explore the metaphor between each generation of immigrant and the work environment. What does each immigrant contribute to the growth of the mill?
Essay Topic 3
What does Dobie do after his mother's death that would indicate his loyalty to his family? Give at least three examples and provide details for support.
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)