|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary do within one month of Mike's death?
2. How many boarders live with Mike and Mary?
3. Who has the union groups' charters revoked?
4. Who objects to Dobie's time being spent on a legitimate union?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 7, what do mill workers want in regards to their union?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Dobie and Julie's financial situation as a result of no strike and an improving economy?
2. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
3. What happens after the rank -and-file delegates meet from different lodges? What does the union do to help the bargaining committees? Why is the unions' stance unfair?
4. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
5. When Mary collapses during her pregnancy, she is given instructions by the doctor to rest during the day when "she feels like she need to". What are Mary's responsibilities at this point in the story? What do Mary and Mike decide to do to lighten her responsibilities?
6. Where do Mike and Mary move to at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10? What do they have to do to get extra money now that there are no boarders?
7. What situation leads to Dobie moving back to Pittsburgh? What job does he take? What historic event happens in the country around this time?
8. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, what ongoing crisis is taking place in Mike and Mary's household? What do Mike and Mary not agree on as a resolution to their problem?
9. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to unions in steel towns? What does this mean for union workers such as Dobie?
10. What is the extent of Dobie's involvement with the union activities at the end of Part 4, Chapter 11 ? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Mary as an adult and her father. Explore the possibility of role reversal.
Essay Topic 2
When George arrives in New York, he and Zuska and her husband go separate ways. Even though George has Zuska's sister's address in Pittsburgh, and he is obviously attracted to her, he makes no effort to contact her in the upcoming years. What are the possible reasons for his lack of initiative?
Essay Topic 3
Dobie represents the third generation immigrant. Describe Dobie's childhood after his father's death. What characteristics are "forged" in Dobie from his childhood experiences that will hold him in good stead as a man?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)