|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who watches Mary's children when Mary goes out to work?
2. Who receives insurance money from Mary's death?
3. Who is diagnosed with consumption?
4. Who joins George on his visit to Dorta's?
5. How does Dobie learn that there will be no steel mill strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the rank -and-file delegates meet from different lodges? What does the union do to help the bargaining committees? Why is the unions' stance unfair?
2. What does the company warn workers about concerning union recognition? Is Dobie swayed by the warnings? Explain how his feelings towards the company's warnings mirror his father's voting practices earlier in the book.
3. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
4. What does the company remind the workers of during mid-term elections? What is the name of the candidate that Mike votes for in the election? What could happen as a result of Mike's choice?
5. What situation leads to Dobie moving back to Pittsburgh? What job does he take? What historic event happens in the country around this time?
6. Who owns the hotel in East Pittsburgh where Dobie stays? Why is this a good thing for Dobie? How does Dobie make money with his electrical skills?
7. What directives does the company give the mill workers on how to vote? Does Mike follow the directives?
8. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
9. Describe Mary's life and her children's after Mike's death.
10. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is it accurate to assume that George makes decisions based on emotion rather than logic? Discuss two examples for support.
Essay Topic 2
Dobie represents the third generation immigrant. Describe Dobie's childhood after his father's death. What characteristics are "forged" in Dobie from his childhood experiences that will hold him in good stead as a man?
Essay Topic 3
George lies to his sister Francka about being robbed. Explore why George would find it necessary to lie to Francka. Give at least two other instances from the story where George does not trust family members with the truth.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)