|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to union membership?
2. How much money does Mary receive from the accident compensation plan?
3. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 10, where are Mike and Mary living?
4. Who is in the meeting with management for Dobie's mill?
5. Why does George collect accident compensation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mary's life and her children's after Mike's death.
2. Who owns the hotel in East Pittsburgh where Dobie stays? Why is this a good thing for Dobie? How does Dobie make money with his electrical skills?
3. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
4. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
5. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
6. What directives does the company give the mill workers on how to vote? Does Mike follow the directives?
7. What happens after the rank -and-file delegates meet from different lodges? What does the union do to help the bargaining committees? Why is the unions' stance unfair?
8. How does Dobie's private life change during the Depression? What happens in his work life?
9. What does the company remind the workers of during mid-term elections? What is the name of the candidate that Mike votes for in the election? What could happen as a result of Mike's choice?
10. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to unions in steel towns? What does this mean for union workers such as Dobie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although George travels thousands of miles for a better life in America, what is he not willing to do in order to be a part of the community? What are some possible reasons for his apathy? How could he benefit by not being apathetic?
Essay Topic 2
Compare/contrast Dorta and Elena as wives of first generation immigrants.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Mary as an adult and her father. Explore the possibility of role reversal.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)