|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who receives insurance money from Mary's death?
2. Who is Tighe?
3. What household item would Julie like to purchase next?
4. What do some of the men do when they lose their jobs?
5. What do Mike and Mary decide about their boarding business?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the rank -and-file delegates meet from different lodges? What does the union do to help the bargaining committees? Why is the unions' stance unfair?
2. Why does George come to live with Mary? Is George's behavior towards Mary that of a loving father?
3. Describe Mary's life and her children's after Mike's death.
4. How does Dobie's private life change during the Depression? What happens in his work life?
5. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
6. When Mary collapses during her pregnancy, she is given instructions by the doctor to rest during the day when "she feels like she need to". What are Mary's responsibilities at this point in the story? What do Mary and Mike decide to do to lighten her responsibilities?
7. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
8. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
9. What is the extent of Dobie's involvement with the union activities at the end of Part 4, Chapter 11 ? Explain.
10. What does Julie tell Dobie after the funeral? Why has their financial situation gotten even worse with George's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When George arrives in New York, he and Zuska and her husband go separate ways. Even though George has Zuska's sister's address in Pittsburgh, and he is obviously attracted to her, he makes no effort to contact her in the upcoming years. What are the possible reasons for his lack of initiative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the metaphor between the book's title and the steel mill.
Essay Topic 3
Although George travels thousands of miles for a better life in America, what is he not willing to do in order to be a part of the community? What are some possible reasons for his apathy? How could he benefit by not being apathetic?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)