|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are people standing around Dobie and Julie's house when they arrive home after shopping?
2. Why is Dobie against company unions?
3. How does George's death affect Dobie and Julie's financial situation?
4. At the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 1, what year is it?
5. Who owns the hotel where Dobie lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to unions in steel towns? What does this mean for union workers such as Dobie?
2. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
3. What does the company remind the workers of during mid-term elections? What is the name of the candidate that Mike votes for in the election? What could happen as a result of Mike's choice?
4. What happens after the rank -and-file delegates meet from different lodges? What does the union do to help the bargaining committees? Why is the unions' stance unfair?
5. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
6. How does Dobie's private life change during the Depression? What happens in his work life?
7. Where do Mike and Mary move to at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10? What do they have to do to get extra money now that there are no boarders?
8. What does the company warn workers about concerning union recognition? Is Dobie swayed by the warnings? Explain how his feelings towards the company's warnings mirror his father's voting practices earlier in the book.
9. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
10. When Mary collapses during her pregnancy, she is given instructions by the doctor to rest during the day when "she feels like she need to". What are Mary's responsibilities at this point in the story? What do Mary and Mike decide to do to lighten her responsibilities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Just as each generation of immigrant does not remain static, the mill's work environment changes as well. Explore the metaphor between each generation of immigrant and the work environment. What does each immigrant contribute to the growth of the mill?
Essay Topic 2
George lies to his sister Francka about being robbed. Explore why George would find it necessary to lie to Francka. Give at least two other instances from the story where George does not trust family members with the truth.
Essay Topic 3
Dobie represents the third generation immigrant. Describe Dobie's childhood after his father's death. What characteristics are "forged" in Dobie from his childhood experiences that will hold him in good stead as a man?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)