|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Mary and Mike in the spring?
2. According to Dobie, which item needs to be purchased next?
3. What happens to George that awakens Dobie and Julie in the middle of the night?
4. Who receives insurance money from Mary's death?
5. Why is Dobie against company unions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does George come to live with Mary? Is George's behavior towards Mary that of a loving father?
2. Explain why voting for the Socialist Party would be in line with Mike's concerns about the mill at this point.
3. Describe Mary's life and her children's after Mike's death.
4. When Mary collapses during her pregnancy, she is given instructions by the doctor to rest during the day when "she feels like she need to". What are Mary's responsibilities at this point in the story? What do Mary and Mike decide to do to lighten her responsibilities?
5. What brings about labor problems at the mill? What does Johnny do as a result of the unrest?
6. What does the company warn workers about concerning union recognition? Is Dobie swayed by the warnings? Explain how his feelings towards the company's warnings mirror his father's voting practices earlier in the book.
7. What is the extent of Dobie's involvement with the union activities at the end of Part 4, Chapter 11 ? Explain.
8. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to unions in steel towns? What does this mean for union workers such as Dobie?
9. What situation leads to Dobie moving back to Pittsburgh? What job does he take? What historic event happens in the country around this time?
10. What directives does the company give the mill workers on how to vote? Does Mike follow the directives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dobie represents the third generation immigrant. Describe Dobie's childhood after his father's death. What characteristics are "forged" in Dobie from his childhood experiences that will hold him in good stead as a man?
Essay Topic 2
What does Dobie do after his mother's death that would indicate his loyalty to his family? Give at least three examples and provide details for support.
Essay Topic 3
In your opinion, could "Out of This Furnace" be described as a typical story of all immigrants to America? Why or why not? You may use reference materials for support.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)