|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who owns the hotel where Dobie lives?
2. How does Dobie support himself during the layoffs?
3. What is the steel mill indicating to workers during mid-term elections?
4. What company is Dobie's first employer in Detroit?
5. Who forms the Committee for Industrial Organization?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the rank -and-file delegates meet from different lodges? What does the union do to help the bargaining committees? Why is the unions' stance unfair?
2. Describe Mary's life and her children's after Mike's death.
3. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, what ongoing crisis is taking place in Mike and Mary's household? What do Mike and Mary not agree on as a resolution to their problem?
4. What does the company warn workers about concerning union recognition? Is Dobie swayed by the warnings? Explain how his feelings towards the company's warnings mirror his father's voting practices earlier in the book.
5. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
6. Where do Mike and Mary move to at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10? What do they have to do to get extra money now that there are no boarders?
7. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
8. What brings about labor problems at the mill? What does Johnny do as a result of the unrest?
9. Explain why voting for the Socialist Party would be in line with Mike's concerns about the mill at this point.
10. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which main character's story is told in Part I? What are this character's expectations for a life in America? Are the expectations realistic?
Essay Topic 2
Dobie represents the third generation immigrant. Describe Dobie's childhood after his father's death. What characteristics are "forged" in Dobie from his childhood experiences that will hold him in good stead as a man?
Essay Topic 3
What does Dobie do after his mother's death that would indicate his loyalty to his family? Give at least three examples and provide details for support.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)