|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does George's death affect Dobie and Julie's financial situation?
2. Who is George buried next to?
3. What happens to George that awakens Dobie and Julie in the middle of the night?
4. According to Mikie, what could threaten Dobie's job?
5. Who joins George on his visit to Dorta's?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1 of Part 4, which character becomes the third generation's main character of the story line? Describe this character.
2. Where do Mike and Mary move to at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10? What do they have to do to get extra money now that there are no boarders?
3. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to unions in steel towns? What does this mean for union workers such as Dobie?
4. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
5. What does Julie tell Dobie after the funeral? Why has their financial situation gotten even worse with George's death?
6. What situation leads to Dobie moving back to Pittsburgh? What job does he take? What historic event happens in the country around this time?
7. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
8. Describe Mary's life and her children's after Mike's death.
9. When Mary collapses during her pregnancy, she is given instructions by the doctor to rest during the day when "she feels like she need to". What are Mary's responsibilities at this point in the story? What do Mary and Mike decide to do to lighten her responsibilities?
10. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Just as each generation of immigrant does not remain static, the mill's work environment changes as well. Explore the metaphor between each generation of immigrant and the work environment. What does each immigrant contribute to the growth of the mill?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Mary as an adult and her father. Explore the possibility of role reversal.
Essay Topic 3
Each generation of "immigrant" has his/her own "furnace" to escape. Compare/contrast the furnaces of George, Mary, and Dobie. Just as a furnace forges steel, hard work and effort can forge a better person. Did each generation's "immigrant" become a better person after his/her life experiences in America? Explain in detail.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)