|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who receives insurance money from Mary's death?
2. Why is Dobie against company unions?
3. What event is causing economic conditions to worsen in the factories and mills?
4. Who is Mary baking a birthday cake for in Part 1, Chapter 5?
5. Who is in the meeting with management for Dobie's mill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What situation leads to Dobie moving back to Pittsburgh? What job does he take? What historic event happens in the country around this time?
2. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
3. Explain why voting for the Socialist Party would be in line with Mike's concerns about the mill at this point.
4. What does the company warn workers about concerning union recognition? Is Dobie swayed by the warnings? Explain how his feelings towards the company's warnings mirror his father's voting practices earlier in the book.
5. What brings about labor problems at the mill? What does Johnny do as a result of the unrest?
6. Where do Mike and Mary move to at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10? What do they have to do to get extra money now that there are no boarders?
7. When Mary collapses during her pregnancy, she is given instructions by the doctor to rest during the day when "she feels like she need to". What are Mary's responsibilities at this point in the story? What do Mary and Mike decide to do to lighten her responsibilities?
8. Who owns the hotel in East Pittsburgh where Dobie stays? Why is this a good thing for Dobie? How does Dobie make money with his electrical skills?
9. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
10. What happens with Dobie and Julie's financial situation as a result of no strike and an improving economy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each generation of "immigrant" has his/her own "furnace" to escape. Compare/contrast the furnaces of George, Mary, and Dobie. Just as a furnace forges steel, hard work and effort can forge a better person. Did each generation's "immigrant" become a better person after his/her life experiences in America? Explain in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in sequence specific actions that Dobie takes concerning unions that exemplify his tenacity for fighting for his beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
Just as each generation of immigrant does not remain static, the mill's work environment changes as well. Explore the metaphor between each generation of immigrant and the work environment. What does each immigrant contribute to the growth of the mill?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)