|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What company is Dobie's first employer in Detroit?
2. For what party does Mike vote in the election?
3. Why are people standing around Dobie and Julie's house when they arrive home after shopping?
4. Who owns the hotel where Dobie lives?
5. Who suggests that Mary should take in boarders to earn money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why voting for the Socialist Party would be in line with Mike's concerns about the mill at this point.
2. Describe Mary's life and her children's after Mike's death.
3. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
4. What situation leads to Dobie moving back to Pittsburgh? What job does he take? What historic event happens in the country around this time?
5. Why does George come to live with Mary? Is George's behavior towards Mary that of a loving father?
6. What brings about labor problems at the mill? What does Johnny do as a result of the unrest?
7. In Chapter 1 of Part 4, which character becomes the third generation's main character of the story line? Describe this character.
8. What directives does the company give the mill workers on how to vote? Does Mike follow the directives?
9. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
10. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Mary as an adult and her father. Explore the possibility of role reversal.
Essay Topic 2
Compare/contrast Dorta and Elena as wives of first generation immigrants.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the metaphor between the book's title and the steel mill.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)