|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 7, what do mill workers want in regards to their union?
2. According to Mikie, what could threaten Dobie's job?
3. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to union membership?
4. Why are people standing around Dobie and Julie's house when they arrive home after shopping?
5. Why does George collect accident compensation?
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the book, could George be described as a successful man? Support your response with details.
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, could "Out of This Furnace" be described as a typical story of all immigrants to America? Why or why not? You may use reference materials for support.
Essay Topic 3
Each generation of "immigrant" has his/her own "furnace" to escape. Compare/contrast the furnaces of George, Mary, and Dobie. Just as a furnace forges steel, hard work and effort can forge a better person. Did each generation's "immigrant" become a better person after his/her life experiences in America? Explain in detail.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)