|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many boarders live with Mike and Mary?
2. What is the steel mill indicating to workers during mid-term elections?
3. What does the steel mill remind workers of on election day?
4. What household item would Julie like to purchase next?
5. What event is causing economic conditions to worsen in the factories and mills?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mary collapses during her pregnancy, she is given instructions by the doctor to rest during the day when "she feels like she need to". What are Mary's responsibilities at this point in the story? What do Mary and Mike decide to do to lighten her responsibilities?
2. Who owns the hotel in East Pittsburgh where Dobie stays? Why is this a good thing for Dobie? How does Dobie make money with his electrical skills?
3. What is the extent of Dobie's involvement with the union activities at the end of Part 4, Chapter 11 ? Explain.
4. Why does George come to live with Mary? Is George's behavior towards Mary that of a loving father?
5. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, what ongoing crisis is taking place in Mike and Mary's household? What do Mike and Mary not agree on as a resolution to their problem?
6. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to unions in steel towns? What does this mean for union workers such as Dobie?
7. What happens after the rank -and-file delegates meet from different lodges? What does the union do to help the bargaining committees? Why is the unions' stance unfair?
8. How does Dobie's private life change during the Depression? What happens in his work life?
9. What brings about labor problems at the mill? What does Johnny do as a result of the unrest?
10. What situation leads to Dobie moving back to Pittsburgh? What job does he take? What historic event happens in the country around this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary Kracha is the second generation "immigrant". She marries Mike Dobrecak. Compare/contrast Mary's husband, Mike, and her father, George.
Essay Topic 2
Just as each generation of immigrant does not remain static, the mill's work environment changes as well. Explore the metaphor between each generation of immigrant and the work environment. What does each immigrant contribute to the growth of the mill?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book, could George be described as a successful man? Support your response with details.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)