|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What incident in Pittsburgh upsets Dobie?
2. According to Dobie, which item needs to be purchased next?
3. When George comes to live with Mary in Munhall Hollow, how much rent does he pay?
4. Who has the union groups' charters revoked?
5. What happens to Mike after the election?
Short Essay Questions
1. What brings about labor problems at the mill? What does Johnny do as a result of the unrest?
2. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
3. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
4. What is the extent of Dobie's involvement with the union activities at the end of Part 4, Chapter 11 ? Explain.
5. What happens after the rank -and-file delegates meet from different lodges? What does the union do to help the bargaining committees? Why is the unions' stance unfair?
6. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
7. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
8. What does the company warn workers about concerning union recognition? Is Dobie swayed by the warnings? Explain how his feelings towards the company's warnings mirror his father's voting practices earlier in the book.
9. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
10. In Chapter 1 of Part 4, which character becomes the third generation's main character of the story line? Describe this character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Mary as an adult and her father. Explore the possibility of role reversal.
Essay Topic 2
What characteristics does George have which would be valuable in running a successful business? Which characteristics would be a detriment? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Mary Kracha is the second generation "immigrant". She marries Mike Dobrecak. Compare/contrast Mary's husband, Mike, and her father, George.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)