|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mike after the election?
2. What happens to George that awakens Dobie and Julie in the middle of the night?
3. Who watches Mary's children when Mary goes out to work?
4. How old is Mary in this section?
5. Who has the union groups' charters revoked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
2. Explain why voting for the Socialist Party would be in line with Mike's concerns about the mill at this point.
3. In Chapter 1 of Part 4, which character becomes the third generation's main character of the story line? Describe this character.
4. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
5. Who owns the hotel in East Pittsburgh where Dobie stays? Why is this a good thing for Dobie? How does Dobie make money with his electrical skills?
6. Where do Mike and Mary move to at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10? What do they have to do to get extra money now that there are no boarders?
7. What is the extent of Dobie's involvement with the union activities at the end of Part 4, Chapter 11 ? Explain.
8. What does the company remind the workers of during mid-term elections? What is the name of the candidate that Mike votes for in the election? What could happen as a result of Mike's choice?
9. Describe Mary's life and her children's after Mike's death.
10. What happens after the rank -and-file delegates meet from different lodges? What does the union do to help the bargaining committees? Why is the unions' stance unfair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Dobie do after his mother's death that would indicate his loyalty to his family? Give at least three examples and provide details for support.
Essay Topic 2
Mary Kracha is the second generation "immigrant". She marries Mike Dobrecak. Compare/contrast Mary's husband, Mike, and her father, George.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Mary as an adult and her father. Explore the possibility of role reversal.
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)