|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who breaks the news to Mary about Mike's death?
2. How long does Dobie work in Detroit?
3. What happens to George that awakens Dobie and Julie in the middle of the night?
4. When George comes to live with Mary in Munhall Hollow, how much rent does he pay?
5. What makes Mike and Mary happy about their boarding business decision?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Mike and Mary move to at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10? What do they have to do to get extra money now that there are no boarders?
2. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
3. What does Julie tell Dobie after the funeral? Why has their financial situation gotten even worse with George's death?
4. What does the company warn workers about concerning union recognition? Is Dobie swayed by the warnings? Explain how his feelings towards the company's warnings mirror his father's voting practices earlier in the book.
5. What does the company remind the workers of during mid-term elections? What is the name of the candidate that Mike votes for in the election? What could happen as a result of Mike's choice?
6. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to unions in steel towns? What does this mean for union workers such as Dobie?
7. Why does George come to live with Mary? Is George's behavior towards Mary that of a loving father?
8. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
9. What is the extent of Dobie's involvement with the union activities at the end of Part 4, Chapter 11 ? Explain.
10. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Mary as an adult and her father. Explore the possibility of role reversal.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the metaphor between the book's title and the steel mill.
Essay Topic 3
Which main character's story is told in Part I? What are this character's expectations for a life in America? Are the expectations realistic?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)