Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 7, what do mill workers want in regards to their union?
2. According to Mikie, what could threaten Dobie's job?
3. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to union membership?
4. Why are people standing around Dobie and Julie's house when they arrive home after shopping?
5. Why does George collect accident compensation?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Mary as an adult and her father. Explore the possibility of role reversal.
Essay Topic 2
Which main character's story is told in Part I? What are this character's expectations for a life in America? Are the expectations realistic?
Essay Topic 3
Each generation of "immigrant" has his/her own "furnace" to escape. Compare/contrast the furnaces of George, Mary, and Dobie. Just as a furnace forges steel, hard work and effort can forge a better person. Did each generation's "immigrant" become a better person after his/her life experiences in America? Explain in detail.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)