|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When George comes to live with Mary in Munhall Hollow, how much rent does he pay?
2. Which candidate is Mike's choice in the election?
3. In what state are Mike and Mary's finances at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10?
4. How does Dobie learn that there will be no steel mill strike?
5. What are Mike and Mary missing at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julie tell Dobie after the funeral? Why has their financial situation gotten even worse with George's death?
2. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
3. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to unions in steel towns? What does this mean for union workers such as Dobie?
4. Why does George come to live with Mary? Is George's behavior towards Mary that of a loving father?
5. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
6. Describe Mary's life and her children's after Mike's death.
7. In Chapter 1 of Part 4, which character becomes the third generation's main character of the story line? Describe this character.
8. What is the extent of Dobie's involvement with the union activities at the end of Part 4, Chapter 11 ? Explain.
9. What happens after the rank -and-file delegates meet from different lodges? What does the union do to help the bargaining committees? Why is the unions' stance unfair?
10. Who owns the hotel in East Pittsburgh where Dobie stays? Why is this a good thing for Dobie? How does Dobie make money with his electrical skills?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Just as each generation of immigrant does not remain static, the mill's work environment changes as well. Explore the metaphor between each generation of immigrant and the work environment. What does each immigrant contribute to the growth of the mill?
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, could "Out of This Furnace" be described as a typical story of all immigrants to America? Why or why not? You may use reference materials for support.
Essay Topic 3
What does Dobie do after his mother's death that would indicate his loyalty to his family? Give at least three examples and provide details for support.
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)