|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George use all of his money for in this section?
2. Who is buried in the Irish cemetery after an elaborate funeral?
3. Who is on the ship that George boards in Bremen?
4. In what year does George Kracha come to America?
5. On what day of the week does the United States declare war against Spain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George wish for after Elena's death, and whom does he consult about the situation with his feelings? What is George's half-hearted gesture at being penitent?
2. Where is Andrej now working since moving to Homestead? What happens when George, Andrej, and Andrej's foreman meet to talk about a job for George?
3. What reason does George give Zuska for why he walked from New York to Pennsylvania after he arrived in America? Give two possible reasons for his dishonesty.
4. According to George and Dorta's conversation in Part 1, Chapter 22, what role does Zuska directly play in the loss of George's business? At the time, is George aware of Zuska's actions? What is a possible reason for George not confronting Zuska?
5. Why does George feel vindicated for not becoming an American citizen so that he can vote? What does George tell Mike about who runs America?
6. In the summer following his marriage to Zuska, what happens to George financially? How does George react to his financial situation? How does George's reaction affect his relationship with Zuska?
7. Who does George visit immediately after receiving his first paycheck? What transpires at the meeting?
8. Who does George meet while boarding the ship to America? Explain the irony between George's meeting and the warning that Andrej gives him about immigrants being robbed once they arrive in America.
9. Who confronts George in front of Elena about his relationship with Zuska? How does Elena react? How does George react? How does he "escape" reality?
10. What is George Kracha hoping to leave behind when he leaves Hungary for America in 1881?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare/contrast Dorta and Elena as wives of first generation immigrants.
Essay Topic 2
Just as each generation of immigrant does not remain static, the mill's work environment changes as well. Explore the metaphor between each generation of immigrant and the work environment. What does each immigrant contribute to the growth of the mill?
Essay Topic 3
Although George travels thousands of miles for a better life in America, what is he not willing to do in order to be a part of the community? What are some possible reasons for his apathy? How could he benefit by not being apathetic?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)