|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What corporation is formed after the sale of the steel plants?
2. What happens at the steel mill that worries George?
3. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, what year is it?
4. Who does Francka make a comment about after the funeral?
5. From what country does George Kracha immigrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is George Kracha hoping to leave behind when he leaves Hungary for America in 1881?
2. Why does George feel vindicated for not becoming an American citizen so that he can vote? What does George tell Mike about who runs America?
3. Who does George meet while boarding the ship to America? Explain the irony between George's meeting and the warning that Andrej gives him about immigrants being robbed once they arrive in America.
4. Where is Andrej now working since moving to Homestead? What happens when George, Andrej, and Andrej's foreman meet to talk about a job for George?
5. At first, how successful is George in the butcher shop? What positive changes in George and Elena's lifestyle have come about as a result of his business?
6. Who does George tell about Zuska? What is one explanation for his sharing with another person information about Zuska?
7. What major corporation is formed when Carnegie sells his steel plants to J.P. Morgan? Is this corporation "union friendly"?
8. What does George wish for after Elena's death, and whom does he consult about the situation with his feelings? What is George's half-hearted gesture at being penitent?
9. In Part 1, Chapter 16, it is noted that George "has always been technically faithful to Elena." Explain.
10. After reaching New York, how does George manage to travel to Pennsylvania without any money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
George lies to his sister Francka about being robbed. Explore why George would find it necessary to lie to Francka. Give at least two other instances from the story where George does not trust family members with the truth.
Essay Topic 2
Why is it accurate to assume that George makes decisions based on emotion rather than logic? Discuss two examples for support.
Essay Topic 3
Just as each generation of immigrant does not remain static, the mill's work environment changes as well. Explore the metaphor between each generation of immigrant and the work environment. What does each immigrant contribute to the growth of the mill?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)