|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is on the ship that George boards in Bremen?
2. Who is the author of Out of This Furnace?
3. Who is in control of the steel mills immediately following the arrival of a General with troops?
4. How much money does the bank need for the principal on George's mortgage?
5. Who does George visit to talk to about his regrets?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Zuska walks into George's butcher shop? What does George do while Zuska is there that foreshadows a possible problem for his business?
2. What does George wish for after Elena's death, and whom does he consult about the situation with his feelings? What is George's half-hearted gesture at being penitent?
3. Explain how George's relationship with Zuska affect his business with his customers. Give another reason, aside from his customers, that George's business is probably affected by his relationship.
4. What major corporation is formed when Carnegie sells his steel plants to J.P. Morgan? Is this corporation "union friendly"?
5. Where does George go to get a mill job after leaving Braddock? As he goes back to work in a mill, a job that he has always disliked, what takes George a long time to get over?
6. What happens with Zuska and a boarder that might give George a reason to think that he stands a chance at a relationship with her? How does George approach Zuska about the situation, and what is the outcome between them? What are possible reasons for George having second thoughts?
7. How does George explain having no money on his arrival to his sister Francka and her husband?
8. What business is George considering buying? What are his plans for the shop? Is his business plan logical? What could be a possible obstacle to George being successful?
9. What two important events happen during November, 1903 to Mike? Why is he becoming increasingly frustrated during the winter of 1903?
10. Where is Andrej now working since moving to Homestead? What happens when George, Andrej, and Andrej's foreman meet to talk about a job for George?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is it accurate to assume that George makes decisions based on emotion rather than logic? Discuss two examples for support.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the metaphor between the book's title and the steel mill.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in sequence specific actions that Dobie takes concerning unions that exemplify his tenacity for fighting for his beliefs.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)