|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many shifts are there for workers at the steel mills?
2. Who tells George to talk to local businessmen about selling his lots?
3. Who is Djuro?
4. How long has Dobrejcak been in America?
5. Who does Mike Dobrejcak marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George wish for after Elena's death, and whom does he consult about the situation with his feelings? What is George's half-hearted gesture at being penitent?
2. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6, why does Francka meet George and Elena at the train station in Homestead? Where does she take George and Elena? What reason does George's sister Francka give for needing only one room in Homestead?
3. What is George Kracha hoping to leave behind when he leaves Hungary for America in 1881?
4. Why does George feel vindicated for not becoming an American citizen so that he can vote? What does George tell Mike about who runs America?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 16, it is noted that George "has always been technically faithful to Elena." Explain.
6. Who confronts George in front of Elena about his relationship with Zuska? How does Elena react? How does George react? How does he "escape" reality?
7. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, who is introduced as the main character of the section? Describe this character.
8. Who does George tell about Zuska? What is one explanation for his sharing with another person information about Zuska?
9. Why does Dorta rent a house the very next day after the conversation with George, Andrej, and her husband? What does this say about Dorta's business skills?
10. Where do George and Elena move to after the trouble in Homestead? What is a typical work day at the mill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Dobie do after his mother's death that would indicate his loyalty to his family? Give at least three examples and provide details for support.
Essay Topic 2
Why is it accurate to assume that George makes decisions based on emotion rather than logic? Discuss two examples for support.
Essay Topic 3
Mary Kracha is the second generation "immigrant". She marries Mike Dobrecak. Compare/contrast Mary's husband, Mike, and her father, George.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)