|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Djuro?
2. Who does Zuska tell when she finds out that she is pregnant?
3. On what day does Zuska get married?
4. Who votes for the first time in Part 2, Chapter 5?
5. Who applies for citizenship as soon as he becomes of age?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in Homestead when it is time for the union's contract negotiations to begin at the steel mill? What happens two days before the end of the current contract at the mill?
2. Who owns the hotel in East Pittsburgh where Dobie stays? Why is this a good thing for Dobie? How does Dobie make money with his electrical skills?
3. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
4. Where do George and Elena move to after the trouble in Homestead? What is a typical work day at the mill?
5. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
6. What does Dobie surmise about his awaited child's future life? Is he accurate in thinking that his own life, up to this point, is exemplary of this attitude? Explain.
7. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
8. After reaching New York, how does George manage to travel to Pennsylvania without any money?
9. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, who is introduced as the main character of the section? Describe this character.
10. Explain why voting for the Socialist Party would be in line with Mike's concerns about the mill at this point.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Dorta's realistic approach to life helps her weather life's economic and emotional storms. Give details from at least three events from the story for support.
Essay Topic 2
George lies to his sister Francka about being robbed. Explore why George would find it necessary to lie to Francka. Give at least two other instances from the story where George does not trust family members with the truth.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Mary as an adult and her father. Explore the possibility of role reversal.
This section contains 1,434 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)