|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day does Zuska get married?
2. Why has George always been faithful to his wife?
3. Why are the workers evicted from their homes?
4. While George and his co-workers are working, what do they see over H furnace?
5. Who is Andy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do George and Elena move to after the trouble in Homestead? What is a typical work day at the mill?
2. Where does George go to get a mill job after leaving Braddock? As he goes back to work in a mill, a job that he has always disliked, what takes George a long time to get over?
3. Who does George visit immediately after receiving his first paycheck? What transpires at the meeting?
4. What is George Kracha hoping to leave behind when he leaves Hungary for America in 1881?
5. What business is George considering buying? What are his plans for the shop? Is his business plan logical? What could be a possible obstacle to George being successful?
6. Why does George feel vindicated for not becoming an American citizen so that he can vote? What does George tell Mike about who runs America?
7. How is Elena's funeral contradictory to her lifestyle? Explain why George might have chosen an elaborate funeral for Elena.
8. Describe the mill event that claims Joe Dubik's life. Was it an accident or the result of incompetence? Explain.
9. Who does George meet while boarding the ship to America? Explain the irony between George's meeting and the warning that Andrej gives him about immigrants being robbed once they arrive in America.
10. In the summer following his marriage to Zuska, what happens to George financially? How does George react to his financial situation? How does George's reaction affect his relationship with Zuska?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Mike's death, Mary is left with four small children. Explore decisions which Mary must make to survive with her children. Does Mary make good decisions? Give details for support.
Essay Topic 2
Why is it accurate to assume that George makes decisions based on emotion rather than logic? Discuss two examples for support.
Essay Topic 3
What specific benefits are realized by each succeeding generation, beginning with George's journey to America?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)