|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Mike Dobrejcak?
2. Who is in control of the steel mills immediately following the arrival of a General with troops?
3. What happens to Joe after he is taken to Pittsburgh?
4. Who surrenders after the trouble at the steel mills?
5. Who does Mike Dobrejcak marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how George's relationship with Zuska affect his business with his customers. Give another reason, aside from his customers, that George's business is probably affected by his relationship.
2. What does George know about the plight of some immigrants when they arrive in America? Who is already in America to help George avoid similar problems?
3. In the summer following his marriage to Zuska, what happens to George financially? How does George react to his financial situation? How does George's reaction affect his relationship with Zuska?
4. What happens with Zuska and a boarder that might give George a reason to think that he stands a chance at a relationship with her? How does George approach Zuska about the situation, and what is the outcome between them? What are possible reasons for George having second thoughts?
5. Who confronts George in front of Elena about his relationship with Zuska? How does Elena react? How does George react? How does he "escape" reality?
6. What reason does George give Zuska for why he walked from New York to Pennsylvania after he arrived in America? Give two possible reasons for his dishonesty.
7. According to George and Dorta's conversation in Part 1, Chapter 22, what role does Zuska directly play in the loss of George's business? At the time, is George aware of Zuska's actions? What is a possible reason for George not confronting Zuska?
8. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, who is introduced as the main character of the section? Describe this character.
9. Where do George and Elena move to after the trouble in Homestead? What is a typical work day at the mill?
10. Where is Andrej now working since moving to Homestead? What happens when George, Andrej, and Andrej's foreman meet to talk about a job for George?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary Kracha is the second generation "immigrant". She marries Mike Dobrecak. Compare/contrast Mary's husband, Mike, and her father, George.
Essay Topic 2
After Mike's death, Mary is left with four small children. Explore decisions which Mary must make to survive with her children. Does Mary make good decisions? Give details for support.
Essay Topic 3
Compare/contrast Dorta and Elena as wives of first generation immigrants.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)