|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George do during the summer to provide food for his family?
2. Why does George go to jail?
3. As soon as George receives his first pay, what does he do?
4. Who receives an apology from Elena?
5. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 11, what kind of transportation is George using to go to work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does George feel vindicated for not becoming an American citizen so that he can vote? What does George tell Mike about who runs America?
2. Who does George visit immediately after receiving his first paycheck? What transpires at the meeting?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 16, it is noted that George "has always been technically faithful to Elena." Explain.
4. Who confronts George in front of Elena about his relationship with Zuska? How does Elena react? How does George react? How does he "escape" reality?
5. After reaching New York, how does George manage to travel to Pennsylvania without any money?
6. When Mary collapses during her pregnancy, she is given instructions by the doctor to rest during the day when "she feels like she need to". What are Mary's responsibilities at this point in the story? What do Mary and Mike decide to do to lighten her responsibilities?
7. What does the company remind the workers of during mid-term elections? What is the name of the candidate that Mike votes for in the election? What could happen as a result of Mike's choice?
8. Who owns the hotel in East Pittsburgh where Dobie stays? Why is this a good thing for Dobie? How does Dobie make money with his electrical skills?
9. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to unions in steel towns? What does this mean for union workers such as Dobie?
10. Why does Dorta rent a house the very next day after the conversation with George, Andrej, and her husband? What does this say about Dorta's business skills?
Essay Topic 1
George lies to his sister Francka about being robbed. Explore why George would find it necessary to lie to Francka. Give at least two other instances from the story where George does not trust family members with the truth.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in sequence specific actions that Dobie takes concerning unions that exemplify his tenacity for fighting for his beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
What does Dobie do after his mother's death that would indicate his loyalty to his family? Give at least three examples and provide details for support.
This section contains 1,478 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)