|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who marries Steve Radilla?
2. Who is on the ship that George boards in Bremen?
3. Who receives an apology from Elena?
4. From what country does George Kracha immigrate?
5. Who is John Joseph?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6, why does Francka meet George and Elena at the train station in Homestead? Where does she take George and Elena? What reason does George's sister Francka give for needing only one room in Homestead?
2. What does Dubik's death cause George to consider doing about work? What does Dorta tell him about Joe's thoughts on working in the mills? What is a possible explanation for George listening intently to Dorta?
3. Who does George visit immediately after receiving his first paycheck? What transpires at the meeting?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 16, it is noted that George "has always been technically faithful to Elena." Explain.
5. What major corporation is formed when Carnegie sells his steel plants to J.P. Morgan? Is this corporation "union friendly"?
6. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, who is introduced as the main character of the section? Describe this character.
7. How does George explain having no money on his arrival to his sister Francka and her husband?
8. Where is Andrej now working since moving to Homestead? What happens when George, Andrej, and Andrej's foreman meet to talk about a job for George?
9. Where does George go to get a mill job after leaving Braddock? As he goes back to work in a mill, a job that he has always disliked, what takes George a long time to get over?
10. What is so special about the Dexter's home where Mary Kracha works? How does the Dexter's house come up in a conversation between Mike and Mary? Ultimately, what happens to Mike and Mary's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In your opinion, could "Out of This Furnace" be described as a typical story of all immigrants to America? Why or why not? You may use reference materials for support.
Essay Topic 2
What characteristics does George have which would be valuable in running a successful business? Which characteristics would be a detriment? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What does Dobie do after his mother's death that would indicate his loyalty to his family? Give at least three examples and provide details for support.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)