|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many hours per day do the mill workers work?
2. Who is Mike's younger brother?
3. Who from George's past enters his shop one day?
4. Who tells Zuska why George had to walk to New York after arriving in America?
5. Where does George secure a mill job after the union is broken?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is George Kracha hoping to leave behind when he leaves Hungary for America in 1881?
2. What happens in Homestead when it is time for the union's contract negotiations to begin at the steel mill? What happens two days before the end of the current contract at the mill?
3. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
4. Who does George visit immediately after receiving his first paycheck? What transpires at the meeting?
5. As the story comes to an end, what lessons does Dobie realize about life?
6. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, what ongoing crisis is taking place in Mike and Mary's household? What do Mike and Mary not agree on as a resolution to their problem?
7. What major corporation is formed when Carnegie sells his steel plants to J.P. Morgan? Is this corporation "union friendly"?
8. Why does George come to live with Mary? Is George's behavior towards Mary that of a loving father?
9. How is Elena's funeral contradictory to her lifestyle? Explain why George might have chosen an elaborate funeral for Elena.
10. Where do Mike and Mary move to at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10? What do they have to do to get extra money now that there are no boarders?
Essay Topic 1
George lies to his sister Francka about being robbed. Explore why George would find it necessary to lie to Francka. Give at least two other instances from the story where George does not trust family members with the truth.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Dorta's realistic approach to life helps her weather life's economic and emotional storms. Give details from at least three events from the story for support.
Essay Topic 3
Why is it accurate to assume that George makes decisions based on emotion rather than logic? Discuss two examples for support.
This section contains 1,331 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)