Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Spetz?
2. What does the new corporation not tolerate?
3. Why does George go to jail?
4. On what day does Zuska get married?
5. What is heard in the streets after the mill closes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What directives does the company give the mill workers on how to vote? Does Mike follow the directives?
2. At first, how successful is George in the butcher shop? What positive changes in George and Elena's lifestyle have come about as a result of his business?
3. Who confronts George in front of Elena about his relationship with Zuska? How does Elena react? How does George react? How does he "escape" reality?
4. Describe the mill event that claims Joe Dubik's life. Was it an accident or the result of incompetence? Explain.
5. How does Dobie's private life change during the Depression? What happens in his work life?
6. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, who is introduced as the main character of the section? Describe this character.
7. In Part 1, Chapter 16, it is noted that George "has always been technically faithful to Elena." Explain.
8. What happens with Dobie and Julie's financial situation as a result of no strike and an improving economy?
9. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
10. As the story comes to an end, what lessons does Dobie realize about life?
Essay Topic 1
Dobie represents the third generation immigrant. Describe Dobie's childhood after his father's death. What characteristics are "forged" in Dobie from his childhood experiences that will hold him in good stead as a man?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Dorta's realistic approach to life helps her weather life's economic and emotional storms. Give details from at least three events from the story for support.
Essay Topic 3
Compare/contrast Dorta and Elena as wives of first generation immigrants.
This section contains 1,358 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)