|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does George buy his new business?
2. At first, how many rooms do George and Elena rent?
3. How much older are George and Zuska when their paths cross again?
4. Who rents a house to take in boarders?
5. Who does Zuska tell when she finds out that she is pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does George feel vindicated for not becoming an American citizen so that he can vote? What does George tell Mike about who runs America?
2. In the summer following his marriage to Zuska, what happens to George financially? How does George react to his financial situation? How does George's reaction affect his relationship with Zuska?
3. According to George and Dorta's conversation in Part 1, Chapter 22, what role does Zuska directly play in the loss of George's business? At the time, is George aware of Zuska's actions? What is a possible reason for George not confronting Zuska?
4. How does George explain having no money on his arrival to his sister Francka and her husband?
5. After reaching New York, how does George manage to travel to Pennsylvania without any money?
6. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6, why does Francka meet George and Elena at the train station in Homestead? Where does she take George and Elena? What reason does George's sister Francka give for needing only one room in Homestead?
7. Describe the mill event that claims Joe Dubik's life. Was it an accident or the result of incompetence? Explain.
8. Explain how George's relationship with Zuska affect his business with his customers. Give another reason, aside from his customers, that George's business is probably affected by his relationship.
9. What major corporation is formed when Carnegie sells his steel plants to J.P. Morgan? Is this corporation "union friendly"?
10. Who does George tell about Zuska? What is one explanation for his sharing with another person information about Zuska?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although George travels thousands of miles for a better life in America, what is he not willing to do in order to be a part of the community? What are some possible reasons for his apathy? How could he benefit by not being apathetic?
Essay Topic 2
When George arrives in New York, he and Zuska and her husband go separate ways. Even though George has Zuska's sister's address in Pittsburgh, and he is obviously attracted to her, he makes no effort to contact her in the upcoming years. What are the possible reasons for his lack of initiative?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book, could George be described as a successful man? Support your response with details.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)