|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is talking with George in Dorta's kitchen about leaving the steel mills?
2. As soon as George receives his first pay, what does he do?
3. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 11, what does Joe tell George while they are on their way to work?
4. What does Andrej place in his foreman's pocket at the saloon?
5. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 11, what kind of transportation is George using to go to work?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6, why does Francka meet George and Elena at the train station in Homestead? Where does she take George and Elena? What reason does George's sister Francka give for needing only one room in Homestead?
2. What does George know about the plight of some immigrants when they arrive in America? Who is already in America to help George avoid similar problems?
3. Who does George meet while boarding the ship to America? Explain the irony between George's meeting and the warning that Andrej gives him about immigrants being robbed once they arrive in America.
4. Why does Dorta rent a house the very next day after the conversation with George, Andrej, and her husband? What does this say about Dorta's business skills?
5. Who does George tell about Zuska? What is one explanation for his sharing with another person information about Zuska?
6. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, who is introduced as the main character of the section? Describe this character.
7. At first, how successful is George in the butcher shop? What positive changes in George and Elena's lifestyle have come about as a result of his business?
8. What two important events happen during November, 1903 to Mike? Why is he becoming increasingly frustrated during the winter of 1903?
9. Where do George and Elena move to after the trouble in Homestead? What is a typical work day at the mill?
10. What is George Kracha hoping to leave behind when he leaves Hungary for America in 1881?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dobie represents the third generation immigrant. Describe Dobie's childhood after his father's death. What characteristics are "forged" in Dobie from his childhood experiences that will hold him in good stead as a man?
Essay Topic 2
Just as each generation of immigrant does not remain static, the mill's work environment changes as well. Explore the metaphor between each generation of immigrant and the work environment. What does each immigrant contribute to the growth of the mill?
Essay Topic 3
What specific benefits are realized by each succeeding generation, beginning with George's journey to America?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)