|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What produces pollution in Homestead?
2. What is heard in the streets after the mill closes?
3. Who does Zuska tell when she finds out that she is pregnant?
4. Why does George have to walk from New York to Pennsylvania?
5. Why are the workers evicted from their homes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Andrej now working since moving to Homestead? What happens when George, Andrej, and Andrej's foreman meet to talk about a job for George?
2. Explain how George's relationship with Zuska affect his business with his customers. Give another reason, aside from his customers, that George's business is probably affected by his relationship.
3. What two important events happen during November, 1903 to Mike? Why is he becoming increasingly frustrated during the winter of 1903?
4. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, who is introduced as the main character of the section? Describe this character.
5. Who does George tell about Zuska? What is one explanation for his sharing with another person information about Zuska?
6. Who does George meet while boarding the ship to America? Explain the irony between George's meeting and the warning that Andrej gives him about immigrants being robbed once they arrive in America.
7. What happens when Zuska walks into George's butcher shop? What does George do while Zuska is there that foreshadows a possible problem for his business?
8. What reason does George give Zuska for why he walked from New York to Pennsylvania after he arrived in America? Give two possible reasons for his dishonesty.
9. Describe the mill event that claims Joe Dubik's life. Was it an accident or the result of incompetence? Explain.
10. In the summer following his marriage to Zuska, what happens to George financially? How does George react to his financial situation? How does George's reaction affect his relationship with Zuska?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In your opinion, could "Out of This Furnace" be described as a typical story of all immigrants to America? Why or why not? You may use reference materials for support.
Essay Topic 2
Dobie represents the third generation immigrant. Describe Dobie's childhood after his father's death. What characteristics are "forged" in Dobie from his childhood experiences that will hold him in good stead as a man?
Essay Topic 3
Mary Kracha is the second generation "immigrant". She marries Mike Dobrecak. Compare/contrast Mary's husband, Mike, and her father, George.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)