|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who closes the steel mill?
2. How many days does it take George to reach America?
3. Why does George go to jail?
4. What kind of business is George thinking about opening?
5. Why does George show little interest in politics?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does George give Zuska for why he walked from New York to Pennsylvania after he arrived in America? Give two possible reasons for his dishonesty.
2. How is Elena's funeral contradictory to her lifestyle? Explain why George might have chosen an elaborate funeral for Elena.
3. What business is George considering buying? What are his plans for the shop? Is his business plan logical? What could be a possible obstacle to George being successful?
4. What two important events happen during November, 1903 to Mike? Why is he becoming increasingly frustrated during the winter of 1903?
5. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6, why does Francka meet George and Elena at the train station in Homestead? Where does she take George and Elena? What reason does George's sister Francka give for needing only one room in Homestead?
6. Who does George tell about Zuska? What is one explanation for his sharing with another person information about Zuska?
7. What happens when Zuska walks into George's butcher shop? What does George do while Zuska is there that foreshadows a possible problem for his business?
8. In the summer following his marriage to Zuska, what happens to George financially? How does George react to his financial situation? How does George's reaction affect his relationship with Zuska?
9. At first, how successful is George in the butcher shop? What positive changes in George and Elena's lifestyle have come about as a result of his business?
10. Who confronts George in front of Elena about his relationship with Zuska? How does Elena react? How does George react? How does he "escape" reality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Just as each generation of immigrant does not remain static, the mill's work environment changes as well. Explore the metaphor between each generation of immigrant and the work environment. What does each immigrant contribute to the growth of the mill?
Essay Topic 2
When George arrives in New York, he and Zuska and her husband go separate ways. Even though George has Zuska's sister's address in Pittsburgh, and he is obviously attracted to her, he makes no effort to contact her in the upcoming years. What are the possible reasons for his lack of initiative?
Essay Topic 3
Although George travels thousands of miles for a better life in America, what is he not willing to do in order to be a part of the community? What are some possible reasons for his apathy? How could he benefit by not being apathetic?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)