|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is buried in the Irish cemetery after an elaborate funeral?
2. What effect is Zuska having on George after she reappears?
3. According to Part 1, Chapter 1, what usually happens to immigrants when they arrive in America?
4. Why does George go to jail?
5. Who surrenders after the trouble at the steel mills?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Zuska and a boarder that might give George a reason to think that he stands a chance at a relationship with her? How does George approach Zuska about the situation, and what is the outcome between them? What are possible reasons for George having second thoughts?
2. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6, why does Francka meet George and Elena at the train station in Homestead? Where does she take George and Elena? What reason does George's sister Francka give for needing only one room in Homestead?
3. What happens after the C.I.O. takes over Amalgamated? How does Dobie feel about the C.I.O.?
4. Why does Dorta rent a house the very next day after the conversation with George, Andrej, and her husband? What does this say about Dorta's business skills?
5. As the story comes to an end, what lessons does Dobie realize about life?
6. In Part 1, Chapter 16, it is noted that George "has always been technically faithful to Elena." Explain.
7. After reaching New York, how does George manage to travel to Pennsylvania without any money?
8. What is so special about the Dexter's home where Mary Kracha works? How does the Dexter's house come up in a conversation between Mike and Mary? Ultimately, what happens to Mike and Mary's relationship?
9. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
10. What happens after the rank -and-file delegates meet from different lodges? What does the union do to help the bargaining committees? Why is the unions' stance unfair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Dorta's realistic approach to life helps her weather life's economic and emotional storms. Give details from at least three events from the story for support.
Essay Topic 2
George lies to his sister Francka about being robbed. Explore why George would find it necessary to lie to Francka. Give at least two other instances from the story where George does not trust family members with the truth.
Essay Topic 3
Which main character's story is told in Part I? What are this character's expectations for a life in America? Are the expectations realistic?
This section contains 1,541 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)