|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Andy?
2. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 11, what kind of transportation is George using to go to work?
3. What kind of business is George thinking about opening?
4. Who is Spetz?
5. Why does George have to walk from New York to Pennsylvania?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6, why does Francka meet George and Elena at the train station in Homestead? Where does she take George and Elena? What reason does George's sister Francka give for needing only one room in Homestead?
2. What happens with Zuska and a boarder that might give George a reason to think that he stands a chance at a relationship with her? How does George approach Zuska about the situation, and what is the outcome between them? What are possible reasons for George having second thoughts?
3. What does George wish for after Elena's death, and whom does he consult about the situation with his feelings? What is George's half-hearted gesture at being penitent?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 16, it is noted that George "has always been technically faithful to Elena." Explain.
5. Who confronts George in front of Elena about his relationship with Zuska? How does Elena react? How does George react? How does he "escape" reality?
6. What business is George considering buying? What are his plans for the shop? Is his business plan logical? What could be a possible obstacle to George being successful?
7. Describe the mill event that claims Joe Dubik's life. Was it an accident or the result of incompetence? Explain.
8. What does George know about the plight of some immigrants when they arrive in America? Who is already in America to help George avoid similar problems?
9. Who does George tell about Zuska? What is one explanation for his sharing with another person information about Zuska?
10. Where does George go to get a mill job after leaving Braddock? As he goes back to work in a mill, a job that he has always disliked, what takes George a long time to get over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dobie represents the third generation immigrant. Describe Dobie's childhood after his father's death. What characteristics are "forged" in Dobie from his childhood experiences that will hold him in good stead as a man?
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, could "Out of This Furnace" be described as a typical story of all immigrants to America? Why or why not? You may use reference materials for support.
Essay Topic 3
What does Dobie do after his mother's death that would indicate his loyalty to his family? Give at least three examples and provide details for support.
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)