|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does the bank need for the principal on George's mortgage?
2. While George and his co-workers are working, what do they see over H furnace?
3. Who is George Kracha?
4. Who takes over Elena's household duties?
5. Where does George secure a mill job after the union is broken?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two important events happen during November, 1903 to Mike? Why is he becoming increasingly frustrated during the winter of 1903?
2. What does George know about the plight of some immigrants when they arrive in America? Who is already in America to help George avoid similar problems?
3. Where is Andrej now working since moving to Homestead? What happens when George, Andrej, and Andrej's foreman meet to talk about a job for George?
4. At first, how successful is George in the butcher shop? What positive changes in George and Elena's lifestyle have come about as a result of his business?
5. Who does George meet while boarding the ship to America? Explain the irony between George's meeting and the warning that Andrej gives him about immigrants being robbed once they arrive in America.
6. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, who is introduced as the main character of the section? Describe this character.
7. What happens when Zuska walks into George's butcher shop? What does George do while Zuska is there that foreshadows a possible problem for his business?
8. What does Dubik's death cause George to consider doing about work? What does Dorta tell him about Joe's thoughts on working in the mills? What is a possible explanation for George listening intently to Dorta?
9. How is Elena's funeral contradictory to her lifestyle? Explain why George might have chosen an elaborate funeral for Elena.
10. What business is George considering buying? What are his plans for the shop? Is his business plan logical? What could be a possible obstacle to George being successful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Mike's death, Mary is left with four small children. Explore decisions which Mary must make to survive with her children. Does Mary make good decisions? Give details for support.
Essay Topic 2
Although George travels thousands of miles for a better life in America, what is he not willing to do in order to be a part of the community? What are some possible reasons for his apathy? How could he benefit by not being apathetic?
Essay Topic 3
Each generation of "immigrant" has his/her own "furnace" to escape. Compare/contrast the furnaces of George, Mary, and Dobie. Just as a furnace forges steel, hard work and effort can forge a better person. Did each generation's "immigrant" become a better person after his/her life experiences in America? Explain in detail.
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)