|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 11, what kind of transportation is George using to go to work?
2. What does George lose in this section?
3. Who does George visit to talk to about his regrets?
4. While George and his co-workers are working, what do they see over H furnace?
5. In what year does George buy his new business?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George wish for after Elena's death, and whom does he consult about the situation with his feelings? What is George's half-hearted gesture at being penitent?
2. Who does George meet while boarding the ship to America? Explain the irony between George's meeting and the warning that Andrej gives him about immigrants being robbed once they arrive in America.
3. Who does George tell about Zuska? What is one explanation for his sharing with another person information about Zuska?
4. How does George explain having no money on his arrival to his sister Francka and her husband?
5. What happens with Zuska and a boarder that might give George a reason to think that he stands a chance at a relationship with her? How does George approach Zuska about the situation, and what is the outcome between them? What are possible reasons for George having second thoughts?
6. What does Dubik's death cause George to consider doing about work? What does Dorta tell him about Joe's thoughts on working in the mills? What is a possible explanation for George listening intently to Dorta?
7. Who does George visit immediately after receiving his first paycheck? What transpires at the meeting?
8. How is Elena's funeral contradictory to her lifestyle? Explain why George might have chosen an elaborate funeral for Elena.
9. Why does George feel vindicated for not becoming an American citizen so that he can vote? What does George tell Mike about who runs America?
10. In Part 1, Chapter 16, it is noted that George "has always been technically faithful to Elena." Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What specific benefits are realized by each succeeding generation, beginning with George's journey to America?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Dorta's realistic approach to life helps her weather life's economic and emotional storms. Give details from at least three events from the story for support.
Essay Topic 3
What characteristics does George have which would be valuable in running a successful business? Which characteristics would be a detriment? Explain.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)