|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to George's conversation with Zuska, what is lost in a haystack?
2. Who marries Steve Radilla?
3. Who is Borka?
4. How does George help Zuska?
5. How long after Elena's death does George wait to visit Zuska?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how George's relationship with Zuska affect his business with his customers. Give another reason, aside from his customers, that George's business is probably affected by his relationship.
2. Who confronts George in front of Elena about his relationship with Zuska? How does Elena react? How does George react? How does he "escape" reality?
3. What does George wish for after Elena's death, and whom does he consult about the situation with his feelings? What is George's half-hearted gesture at being penitent?
4. Who does George visit immediately after receiving his first paycheck? What transpires at the meeting?
5. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, who is introduced as the main character of the section? Describe this character.
6. What happens when Zuska walks into George's butcher shop? What does George do while Zuska is there that foreshadows a possible problem for his business?
7. What is so special about the Dexter's home where Mary Kracha works? How does the Dexter's house come up in a conversation between Mike and Mary? Ultimately, what happens to Mike and Mary's relationship?
8. Why does Dorta rent a house the very next day after the conversation with George, Andrej, and her husband? What does this say about Dorta's business skills?
9. What happens with Zuska and a boarder that might give George a reason to think that he stands a chance at a relationship with her? How does George approach Zuska about the situation, and what is the outcome between them? What are possible reasons for George having second thoughts?
10. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6, why does Francka meet George and Elena at the train station in Homestead? Where does she take George and Elena? What reason does George's sister Francka give for needing only one room in Homestead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although George travels thousands of miles for a better life in America, what is he not willing to do in order to be a part of the community? What are some possible reasons for his apathy? How could he benefit by not being apathetic?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Dorta's realistic approach to life helps her weather life's economic and emotional storms. Give details from at least three events from the story for support.
Essay Topic 3
After Mike's death, Mary is left with four small children. Explore decisions which Mary must make to survive with her children. Does Mary make good decisions? Give details for support.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)