|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does the bank need for the principal on George's mortgage?
2. How many children does Zuska have?
3. What does the new corporation not tolerate?
4. Where does Dobrejcak work?
5. Who is buried in the Irish cemetery after an elaborate funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does George go to get a mill job after leaving Braddock? As he goes back to work in a mill, a job that he has always disliked, what takes George a long time to get over?
2. What happens after the C.I.O. takes over Amalgamated? How does Dobie feel about the C.I.O.?
3. Why does George come to live with Mary? Is George's behavior towards Mary that of a loving father?
4. What brings about labor problems at the mill? What does Johnny do as a result of the unrest?
5. What does the company remind the workers of during mid-term elections? What is the name of the candidate that Mike votes for in the election? What could happen as a result of Mike's choice?
6. At first, how successful is George in the butcher shop? What positive changes in George and Elena's lifestyle have come about as a result of his business?
7. Who does George tell about Zuska? What is one explanation for his sharing with another person information about Zuska?
8. What two important events happen during November, 1903 to Mike? Why is he becoming increasingly frustrated during the winter of 1903?
9. Who confronts George in front of Elena about his relationship with Zuska? How does Elena react? How does George react? How does he "escape" reality?
10. What does Dubik's death cause George to consider doing about work? What does Dorta tell him about Joe's thoughts on working in the mills? What is a possible explanation for George listening intently to Dorta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare/contrast Dorta and Elena as wives of first generation immigrants.
Essay Topic 2
Which main character's story is told in Part I? What are this character's expectations for a life in America? Are the expectations realistic?
Essay Topic 3
George lies to his sister Francka about being robbed. Explore why George would find it necessary to lie to Francka. Give at least two other instances from the story where George does not trust family members with the truth.
This section contains 1,425 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)