|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect is Zuska having on George after she reappears?
2. Who surrenders after the trouble at the steel mills?
3. Where is George Kracha bound for in America?
4. Who does Mike Dobrejcak marry?
5. Who is on the ship that George boards in Bremen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does George explain having no money on his arrival to his sister Francka and her husband?
2. What happens in Homestead when it is time for the union's contract negotiations to begin at the steel mill? What happens two days before the end of the current contract at the mill?
3. After reaching New York, how does George manage to travel to Pennsylvania without any money?
4. What major corporation is formed when Carnegie sells his steel plants to J.P. Morgan? Is this corporation "union friendly"?
5. What reason does George give Zuska for why he walked from New York to Pennsylvania after he arrived in America? Give two possible reasons for his dishonesty.
6. What two important events happen during November, 1903 to Mike? Why is he becoming increasingly frustrated during the winter of 1903?
7. At first, how successful is George in the butcher shop? What positive changes in George and Elena's lifestyle have come about as a result of his business?
8. Why does George feel vindicated for not becoming an American citizen so that he can vote? What does George tell Mike about who runs America?
9. What happens when Zuska walks into George's butcher shop? What does George do while Zuska is there that foreshadows a possible problem for his business?
10. Who does George tell about Zuska? What is one explanation for his sharing with another person information about Zuska?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Dobie do after his mother's death that would indicate his loyalty to his family? Give at least three examples and provide details for support.
Essay Topic 2
After Mike's death, Mary is left with four small children. Explore decisions which Mary must make to survive with her children. Does Mary make good decisions? Give details for support.
Essay Topic 3
Mary Kracha is the second generation "immigrant". She marries Mike Dobrecak. Compare/contrast Mary's husband, Mike, and her father, George.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)