|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does George Kracha come to America?
2. Who is Mike's younger brother?
3. According to George, who owns everything in the United States?
4. What corporation is formed after the sale of the steel plants?
5. How long does it take George to repay the loan for his trip to America?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, who is introduced as the main character of the section? Describe this character.
2. In Part 1, Chapter 16, it is noted that George "has always been technically faithful to Elena." Explain.
3. Describe the mill event that claims Joe Dubik's life. Was it an accident or the result of incompetence? Explain.
4. What happens in Homestead when it is time for the union's contract negotiations to begin at the steel mill? What happens two days before the end of the current contract at the mill?
5. Why does George feel vindicated for not becoming an American citizen so that he can vote? What does George tell Mike about who runs America?
6. Why does Dorta rent a house the very next day after the conversation with George, Andrej, and her husband? What does this say about Dorta's business skills?
7. In the summer following his marriage to Zuska, what happens to George financially? How does George react to his financial situation? How does George's reaction affect his relationship with Zuska?
8. What two important events happen during November, 1903 to Mike? Why is he becoming increasingly frustrated during the winter of 1903?
9. What business is George considering buying? What are his plans for the shop? Is his business plan logical? What could be a possible obstacle to George being successful?
10. How is Elena's funeral contradictory to her lifestyle? Explain why George might have chosen an elaborate funeral for Elena.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary Kracha is the second generation "immigrant". She marries Mike Dobrecak. Compare/contrast Mary's husband, Mike, and her father, George.
Essay Topic 2
Dobie represents the third generation immigrant. Describe Dobie's childhood after his father's death. What characteristics are "forged" in Dobie from his childhood experiences that will hold him in good stead as a man?
Essay Topic 3
After Mike's death, Mary is left with four small children. Explore decisions which Mary must make to survive with her children. Does Mary make good decisions? Give details for support.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)