|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andrej place in his foreman's pocket at the saloon?
2. Who tells Zuska why George had to walk to New York after arriving in America?
3. According to Zuska's sister, who will Zuska probably marry?
4. Who is Andy?
5. Who is Borka?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to George and Dorta's conversation in Part 1, Chapter 22, what role does Zuska directly play in the loss of George's business? At the time, is George aware of Zuska's actions? What is a possible reason for George not confronting Zuska?
2. What business is George considering buying? What are his plans for the shop? Is his business plan logical? What could be a possible obstacle to George being successful?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 16, it is noted that George "has always been technically faithful to Elena." Explain.
4. Describe the mill event that claims Joe Dubik's life. Was it an accident or the result of incompetence? Explain.
5. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6, why does Francka meet George and Elena at the train station in Homestead? Where does she take George and Elena? What reason does George's sister Francka give for needing only one room in Homestead?
6. Where does George go to get a mill job after leaving Braddock? As he goes back to work in a mill, a job that he has always disliked, what takes George a long time to get over?
7. What does Dubik's death cause George to consider doing about work? What does Dorta tell him about Joe's thoughts on working in the mills? What is a possible explanation for George listening intently to Dorta?
8. What is George Kracha hoping to leave behind when he leaves Hungary for America in 1881?
9. Where is Andrej now working since moving to Homestead? What happens when George, Andrej, and Andrej's foreman meet to talk about a job for George?
10. At first, how successful is George in the butcher shop? What positive changes in George and Elena's lifestyle have come about as a result of his business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each generation of "immigrant" has his/her own "furnace" to escape. Compare/contrast the furnaces of George, Mary, and Dobie. Just as a furnace forges steel, hard work and effort can forge a better person. Did each generation's "immigrant" become a better person after his/her life experiences in America? Explain in detail.
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, could "Out of This Furnace" be described as a typical story of all immigrants to America? Why or why not? You may use reference materials for support.
Essay Topic 3
Mary Kracha is the second generation "immigrant". She marries Mike Dobrecak. Compare/contrast Mary's husband, Mike, and her father, George.
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)