|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 21, what does George regret about Elena?
2. Who marries Steve Radilla?
3. Who has "the decency to stay away" from the funeral?
4. Who does George visit to talk to about his regrets?
5. What does the new corporation not tolerate?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to George and Dorta's conversation in Part 1, Chapter 22, what role does Zuska directly play in the loss of George's business? At the time, is George aware of Zuska's actions? What is a possible reason for George not confronting Zuska?
2. How does George explain having no money on his arrival to his sister Francka and her husband?
3. How is Elena's funeral contradictory to her lifestyle? Explain why George might have chosen an elaborate funeral for Elena.
4. What happens when Zuska walks into George's butcher shop? What does George do while Zuska is there that foreshadows a possible problem for his business?
5. Who confronts George in front of Elena about his relationship with Zuska? How does Elena react? How does George react? How does he "escape" reality?
6. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6, why does Francka meet George and Elena at the train station in Homestead? Where does she take George and Elena? What reason does George's sister Francka give for needing only one room in Homestead?
7. What does Dubik's death cause George to consider doing about work? What does Dorta tell him about Joe's thoughts on working in the mills? What is a possible explanation for George listening intently to Dorta?
8. Explain how George's relationship with Zuska affect his business with his customers. Give another reason, aside from his customers, that George's business is probably affected by his relationship.
9. Where is Andrej now working since moving to Homestead? What happens when George, Andrej, and Andrej's foreman meet to talk about a job for George?
10. Who does George tell about Zuska? What is one explanation for his sharing with another person information about Zuska?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Just as each generation of immigrant does not remain static, the mill's work environment changes as well. Explore the metaphor between each generation of immigrant and the work environment. What does each immigrant contribute to the growth of the mill?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, could George be described as a successful man? Support your response with details.
Essay Topic 3
In your opinion, could "Out of This Furnace" be described as a typical story of all immigrants to America? Why or why not? You may use reference materials for support.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)