|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Spetz?
2. What is George's first main job in America?
3. Who is in control of the steel mills immediately following the arrival of a General with troops?
4. What job does George's brother-in-law have in America?
5. Who moves to a new brick house on River Street?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does George meet while boarding the ship to America? Explain the irony between George's meeting and the warning that Andrej gives him about immigrants being robbed once they arrive in America.
2. What happens when Zuska walks into George's butcher shop? What does George do while Zuska is there that foreshadows a possible problem for his business?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 16, it is noted that George "has always been technically faithful to Elena." Explain.
4. Where is Andrej now working since moving to Homestead? What happens when George, Andrej, and Andrej's foreman meet to talk about a job for George?
5. What two important events happen during November, 1903 to Mike? Why is he becoming increasingly frustrated during the winter of 1903?
6. At first, how successful is George in the butcher shop? What positive changes in George and Elena's lifestyle have come about as a result of his business?
7. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, who is introduced as the main character of the section? Describe this character.
8. In the summer following his marriage to Zuska, what happens to George financially? How does George react to his financial situation? How does George's reaction affect his relationship with Zuska?
9. Where does George go to get a mill job after leaving Braddock? As he goes back to work in a mill, a job that he has always disliked, what takes George a long time to get over?
10. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6, why does Francka meet George and Elena at the train station in Homestead? Where does she take George and Elena? What reason does George's sister Francka give for needing only one room in Homestead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is it accurate to assume that George makes decisions based on emotion rather than logic? Discuss two examples for support.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, could George be described as a successful man? Support your response with details.
Essay Topic 3
After Mike's death, Mary is left with four small children. Explore decisions which Mary must make to survive with her children. Does Mary make good decisions? Give details for support.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)