|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mary baking a birthday cake for in Part 1, Chapter 5?
2. What do some of the men do when they lose their jobs?
(a) They unite and protest in the streets.
(b) They beg in the streets.
(c) They join the military.
(d) They move their families to another town.
3. What is Dobie discussing with a man named Stever from Uniontown?
(a) The company unions.
(c) The worker unions.
(d) The economy.
4. How old is Mary in this section?
5. What is provided to the workers by the steel mill on election day?
(a) Time off to vote.
(b) Campaign handouts.
(c) Sample ballots.
(d) Free lunches.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in the meeting with management for Dobie's mill?
2. Why does George collect accident compensation?
3. Who does Dobie pick up at the train station for George's funeral?
4. Who receives insurance money from Mary's death?
5. How does Dobie support himself during the layoffs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does George come to live with Mary? Is George's behavior towards Mary that of a loving father?
2. How does Dobie's private life change during the Depression? What happens in his work life?
3. What happens after the rank -and-file delegates meet from different lodges? What does the union do to help the bargaining committees? Why is the unions' stance unfair?
4. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
5. What situation leads to Dobie moving back to Pittsburgh? What job does he take? What historic event happens in the country around this time?
6. What is the extent of Dobie's involvement with the union activities at the end of Part 4, Chapter 11 ? Explain.
7. What does the company warn workers about concerning union recognition? Is Dobie swayed by the warnings? Explain how his feelings towards the company's warnings mirror his father's voting practices earlier in the book.
8. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to unions in steel towns? What does this mean for union workers such as Dobie?
9. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
10. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)