|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the Superintendent of the mill?
2. What political party does Mike's candidate represent?
3. What is the steel mill indicating to workers during mid-term elections?
(a) Workers should vote union.
(b) How workers should vote.
(c) That unions won't be tolerated.
(d) Workers should not vote.
4. Who gets a job selling papers two years after Mike's death?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 7, what do mill workers want in regards to their union?
(a) Lower fees.
(b) Shorter work hours.
(c) Higher pay.
(d) Union recognition.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Mary in this section?
2. What is provided to the workers by the steel mill on election day?
3. For what party does Mike vote in the election?
4. Where does Dobie go after leaving Detroit?
5. How many boarders live with Mike and Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the company warn workers about concerning union recognition? Is Dobie swayed by the warnings? Explain how his feelings towards the company's warnings mirror his father's voting practices earlier in the book.
2. What does the company remind the workers of during mid-term elections? What is the name of the candidate that Mike votes for in the election? What could happen as a result of Mike's choice?
3. How does Dobie's private life change during the Depression? What happens in his work life?
4. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
5. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
6. Why does George come to live with Mary? Is George's behavior towards Mary that of a loving father?
7. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, what ongoing crisis is taking place in Mike and Mary's household? What do Mike and Mary not agree on as a resolution to their problem?
8. What is the extent of Dobie's involvement with the union activities at the end of Part 4, Chapter 11 ? Explain.
9. When Mary collapses during her pregnancy, she is given instructions by the doctor to rest during the day when "she feels like she need to". What are Mary's responsibilities at this point in the story? What do Mary and Mike decide to do to lighten her responsibilities?
10. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to unions in steel towns? What does this mean for union workers such as Dobie?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)