|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With how many children has Mike left Mary?
2. At the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 1, what year is it?
3. What event is causing economic conditions to worsen in the factories and mills?
(a) Fallout from World War I.
(b) The Great Depression.
(c) The Spoils System.
4. Who is in the meeting with management for Dobie's mill?
5. What purchase puts Dobie and Julie back in debt?
(a) A refrigerator.
(b) A sewing machine.
(c) A television.
(d) A washing machine.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Part 4, Chapter 1 begins, what character is now known as Dobie?
2. What are Mike and Mary missing at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10?
3. What plan does Mary have to help with finances?
4. Who receives insurance money from Mary's death?
5. Who does Dobie pick up at the train station for George's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
2. Who owns the hotel in East Pittsburgh where Dobie stays? Why is this a good thing for Dobie? How does Dobie make money with his electrical skills?
3. What does the company warn workers about concerning union recognition? Is Dobie swayed by the warnings? Explain how his feelings towards the company's warnings mirror his father's voting practices earlier in the book.
4. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to unions in steel towns? What does this mean for union workers such as Dobie?
5. What is the extent of Dobie's involvement with the union activities at the end of Part 4, Chapter 11 ? Explain.
6. Describe Mary's life and her children's after Mike's death.
7. Why does George come to live with Mary? Is George's behavior towards Mary that of a loving father?
8. When Mary collapses during her pregnancy, she is given instructions by the doctor to rest during the day when "she feels like she need to". What are Mary's responsibilities at this point in the story? What do Mary and Mike decide to do to lighten her responsibilities?
9. What does Julie tell Dobie after the funeral? Why has their financial situation gotten even worse with George's death?
10. Where do Mike and Mary move to at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10? What do they have to do to get extra money now that there are no boarders?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)