|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what state are Mike and Mary's finances at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10?
(a) They are able to buy stock.
(b) They are using their savings.
(c) They are able to save money every week.
(d) They are able to invest in other property.
2. What does Mike expect to happen after he votes?
(a) Mike expects to be treated better by the mill.
(b) Mike expects to get more work hours from the mill.
(c) Mike expects to be ridiculed by his co-workers.
(d) Mike expects to be fired.
3. For what party does Mike vote in the election?
4. Why are people standing around Dobie and Julie's house when they arrive home after shopping?
(a) A union sign is in the front yard.
(b) Graffiti has been written on their house.
(c) George is drunk in the front yard.
(d) George has collapsed.
5. What is the purpose of the C.I.O.?
(a) Mediates with company executives.
(b) Organized industrial unions.
(c) Organizes strikes for workers.
(d) Finances union activities.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 10, where are Mike and Mary living?
2. According to Dobie, which item needs to be purchased next?
3. Who does management finally agree to meet with after the rank-and-file workers are ignored?
4. According to Mikie, what could threaten Dobie's job?
5. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, who does Mike plan on meeting later for a drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
2. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
3. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, what ongoing crisis is taking place in Mike and Mary's household? What do Mike and Mary not agree on as a resolution to their problem?
4. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
5. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to unions in steel towns? What does this mean for union workers such as Dobie?
6. What brings about labor problems at the mill? What does Johnny do as a result of the unrest?
7. Describe Mary's life and her children's after Mike's death.
8. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
9. Explain why voting for the Socialist Party would be in line with Mike's concerns about the mill at this point.
10. How does Dobie's private life change during the Depression? What happens in his work life?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)