|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Mike after the election?
(a) His is scheduled full time at the mill.
(b) He receives his usual pay.
(c) He is fired.
(d) He is beaten up by a co-worker.
2. Who is diagnosed with consumption?
(b) Mary and Pauline.
3. What is the purpose of the C.I.O.?
(a) Organizes strikes for workers.
(b) Organized industrial unions.
(c) Finances union activities.
(d) Mediates with company executives.
4. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, who gives Mary lessons about running a boarding house?
5. Who objects to Dobie's time being spent on a legitimate union?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does George's death affect Dobie and Julie's financial situation?
2. In what state are Mike and Mary's finances at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10?
3. Who breaks the news to Mary about Mike's death?
4. What are Mike and Mary missing at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10?
5. According to Mikie, what could threaten Dobie's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why voting for the Socialist Party would be in line with Mike's concerns about the mill at this point.
2. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, what ongoing crisis is taking place in Mike and Mary's household? What do Mike and Mary not agree on as a resolution to their problem?
3. What does Julie tell Dobie after the funeral? Why has their financial situation gotten even worse with George's death?
4. What brings about labor problems at the mill? What does Johnny do as a result of the unrest?
5. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
6. What directives does the company give the mill workers on how to vote? Does Mike follow the directives?
7. How does Dobie's private life change during the Depression? What happens in his work life?
8. What situation leads to Dobie moving back to Pittsburgh? What job does he take? What historic event happens in the country around this time?
9. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
10. What happens after the rank -and-file delegates meet from different lodges? What does the union do to help the bargaining committees? Why is the unions' stance unfair?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)