|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With how many children has Mike left Mary?
2. Who gets a job selling papers two years after Mike's death?
3. Who forms the Committee for Industrial Organization?
(a) John I. Lewis.
(b) John Hagerty.
(c) Harry F. Burke.
4. Who joins George on his visit to Dorta's?
(c) Dobie and Julie.
5. Why does George collect accident compensation?
(a) George fractures his arm.
(b) George has a car accident.
(c) George breaks his leg.
(d) George is run over by a car.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies at the end of Part 3, Chapter 6?
2. Why is Agnes unsure of receiving her inheritance from Mary?
3. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 10, where are Mike and Mary living?
4. How much money does Mary receive from the accident compensation plan?
5. Who does Dobie pick up at the train station for George's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, what ongoing crisis is taking place in Mike and Mary's household? What do Mike and Mary not agree on as a resolution to their problem?
2. Where do Mike and Mary move to at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10? What do they have to do to get extra money now that there are no boarders?
3. What does the company remind the workers of during mid-term elections? What is the name of the candidate that Mike votes for in the election? What could happen as a result of Mike's choice?
4. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
5. Explain why voting for the Socialist Party would be in line with Mike's concerns about the mill at this point.
6. How does Dobie's private life change during the Depression? What happens in his work life?
7. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
8. In Chapter 1 of Part 4, which character becomes the third generation's main character of the story line? Describe this character.
9. What does Julie tell Dobie after the funeral? Why has their financial situation gotten even worse with George's death?
10. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to unions in steel towns? What does this mean for union workers such as Dobie?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)