|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Mike after the election?
(a) He is beaten up by a co-worker.
(b) He receives his usual pay.
(c) He is fired.
(d) His is scheduled full time at the mill.
2. Who is George buried next to?
3. What company is Dobie's first employer in Detroit?
(a) Ford Motor.
(c) U.S. Steel.
(d) The Chrysler Plant.
4. How does George's death affect Dobie and Julie's financial situation?
(a) It won't be affected.
(b) They will miss his pension.
(c) They will inherit George's real estate.
(d) They can save more money.
5. What political party does Mike's candidate represent?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, who gives Mary lessons about running a boarding house?
2. What plan does Mary have to help with finances?
3. As Part 4, Chapter 1 begins, what character is now known as Dobie?
4. For what party does Mike vote in the election?
5. Why are some of the company's workers fired during the election year?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, what ongoing crisis is taking place in Mike and Mary's household? What do Mike and Mary not agree on as a resolution to their problem?
2. In Chapter 1 of Part 4, which character becomes the third generation's main character of the story line? Describe this character.
3. Describe Mary's life and her children's after Mike's death.
4. Who owns the hotel in East Pittsburgh where Dobie stays? Why is this a good thing for Dobie? How does Dobie make money with his electrical skills?
5. How does Dobie's private life change during the Depression? What happens in his work life?
6. What does the company remind the workers of during mid-term elections? What is the name of the candidate that Mike votes for in the election? What could happen as a result of Mike's choice?
7. What does Julie tell Dobie after the funeral? Why has their financial situation gotten even worse with George's death?
8. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
9. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
10. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)