|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What plan does Mary have to help with finances?
(a) To move to a larger house and take in boarders.
(b) To take out a loan at the bank.
(c) To look for a job herself.
(d) For Mike to find a full time job.
2. Who is diagnosed with consumption?
(a) Mary and Pauline.
3. Why are people standing around Dobie and Julie's house when they arrive home after shopping?
(a) George has collapsed.
(b) George is drunk in the front yard.
(c) A union sign is in the front yard.
(d) Graffiti has been written on their house.
4. What happens to George that awakens Dobie and Julie in the middle of the night?
(a) George is sleepwalking.
(b) George suffers a heart attack.
(c) George wanders away from the house.
(d) George has another stroke.
5. Who breaks the news to Mary about Mike's death?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dobie pick up at the train station for George's funeral?
2. Who joins George on his visit to Dorta's?
3. Who takes family pictures before Mikie leaves to catch a train back to New York?
4. What is the purpose of the C.I.O.?
5. Who visits Mary and Mike in the spring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Dobie and Julie's financial situation as a result of no strike and an improving economy?
2. What does the company remind the workers of during mid-term elections? What is the name of the candidate that Mike votes for in the election? What could happen as a result of Mike's choice?
3. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
4. Explain why voting for the Socialist Party would be in line with Mike's concerns about the mill at this point.
5. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
6. What directives does the company give the mill workers on how to vote? Does Mike follow the directives?
7. What does Julie tell Dobie after the funeral? Why has their financial situation gotten even worse with George's death?
8. What is the extent of Dobie's involvement with the union activities at the end of Part 4, Chapter 11 ? Explain.
9. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
10. What situation leads to Dobie moving back to Pittsburgh? What job does he take? What historic event happens in the country around this time?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)