|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who owns the hotel where Dobie lives?
(a) Francka and Joseph.
(b) Anna and her husband.
(c) Joe Petrovsky.
2. What do Mike and Mary decide about their boarding business?
(a) To make no changes.
(b) To raise the rent.
(c) To take in more boarders.
(d) To end the business.
3. How does Dobie support himself during the layoffs?
(a) He sells newspapers.
(b) He gambles at the local speakeasy.
(c) He does illegal utility hook-ups.
(d) He joins the Mafia.
4. Who visits Mary and Mike in the spring?
(a) Paul Caudle.
(b) Joe Perovsky.
5. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to union membership?
(a) Union membership is neither increasing or decreasing.
(b) Union membership is abolished.
(c) Union membership is decreasing.
(d) Union membership is increasing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Mary receive from the accident compensation plan?
2. What company is Dobie's first employer in Detroit?
3. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, who gives Mary lessons about running a boarding house?
4. As Part 4, Chapter 1 begins, what character is now known as Dobie?
5. Why is Dobie against company unions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the company remind the workers of during mid-term elections? What is the name of the candidate that Mike votes for in the election? What could happen as a result of Mike's choice?
2. Why does George come to live with Mary? Is George's behavior towards Mary that of a loving father?
3. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
4. Who owns the hotel in East Pittsburgh where Dobie stays? Why is this a good thing for Dobie? How does Dobie make money with his electrical skills?
5. In Chapter 1 of Part 4, which character becomes the third generation's main character of the story line? Describe this character.
6. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
7. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to unions in steel towns? What does this mean for union workers such as Dobie?
8. What does Julie tell Dobie after the funeral? Why has their financial situation gotten even worse with George's death?
9. What brings about labor problems at the mill? What does Johnny do as a result of the unrest?
10. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, what ongoing crisis is taking place in Mike and Mary's household? What do Mike and Mary not agree on as a resolution to their problem?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)