|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who suggests that Mary should take in boarders to earn money?
2. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, who does Mike plan on meeting later for a drink?
3. With how many children has Mike left Mary?
4. How much money does Mary receive from the accident compensation plan?
(a) Thirteen hundred dollars.
(b) One thousand dollars.
(c) Three hundred dollars.
(d) Five hundred dollars.
5. At the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 1, what year is it?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mary baking a birthday cake for in Part 1, Chapter 5?
2. Who is George buried next to?
3. Who is Tighe?
4. What household item would Julie like to purchase next?
5. What do Mike and Mary decide about their boarding business?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does George come to live with Mary? Is George's behavior towards Mary that of a loving father?
2. Who owns the hotel in East Pittsburgh where Dobie stays? Why is this a good thing for Dobie? How does Dobie make money with his electrical skills?
3. Explain why voting for the Socialist Party would be in line with Mike's concerns about the mill at this point.
4. What brings about labor problems at the mill? What does Johnny do as a result of the unrest?
5. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
6. What happens after the rank -and-file delegates meet from different lodges? What does the union do to help the bargaining committees? Why is the unions' stance unfair?
7. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, what ongoing crisis is taking place in Mike and Mary's household? What do Mike and Mary not agree on as a resolution to their problem?
8. Where do Mike and Mary move to at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10? What do they have to do to get extra money now that there are no boarders?
9. How does Dobie's private life change during the Depression? What happens in his work life?
10. What is the extent of Dobie's involvement with the union activities at the end of Part 4, Chapter 11 ? Explain.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)