|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who forms the Committee for Industrial Organization?
(a) John Hagerty.
(b) Harry F. Burke.
(c) John I. Lewis.
2. How long does Dobie work in Detroit?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Five years.
3. Who breaks the news to Mary about Mike's death?
4. At the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 1, what year is it?
5. Who suggests that Mary should remarry soon?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 7, what do mill workers want in regards to their union?
2. Who visits Mary and Mike in the spring?
3. What does the steel mill remind workers of on election day?
4. Why are some of the company's workers fired during the election year?
5. When George comes to live with Mary in Munhall Hollow, how much rent does he pay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julie tell Dobie after the funeral? Why has their financial situation gotten even worse with George's death?
2. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
3. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
4. What directives does the company give the mill workers on how to vote? Does Mike follow the directives?
5. Explain why voting for the Socialist Party would be in line with Mike's concerns about the mill at this point.
6. What happens with Dobie and Julie's financial situation as a result of no strike and an improving economy?
7. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, what ongoing crisis is taking place in Mike and Mary's household? What do Mike and Mary not agree on as a resolution to their problem?
8. Why does George come to live with Mary? Is George's behavior towards Mary that of a loving father?
9. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
10. Describe Mary's life and her children's after Mike's death.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)