|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what party does Mike vote in the election?
2. Why are people standing around Dobie and Julie's house when they arrive home after shopping?
(a) George has collapsed.
(b) A union sign is in the front yard.
(c) Graffiti has been written on their house.
(d) George is drunk in the front yard.
3. Why are some of the company's workers fired during the election year?
(a) The workers strike.
(b) The workers try to organize a union.
(c) The workers won't follow the company's voting directives.
(d) The workers vote to go non-union.
4. What plan does Mary have to help with finances?
(a) To look for a job herself.
(b) To take out a loan at the bank.
(c) For Mike to find a full time job.
(d) To move to a larger house and take in boarders.
5. What happens to Mike after the election?
(a) He is beaten up by a co-worker.
(b) His is scheduled full time at the mill.
(c) He is fired.
(d) He receives his usual pay.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, who gives Mary lessons about running a boarding house?
2. Who suggests that Mary should take in boarders to earn money?
3. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, who does Mike plan on meeting later for a drink?
4. Why does George collect accident compensation?
5. When George comes to live with Mary in Munhall Hollow, how much rent does he pay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Dobie and Julie's financial situation as a result of no strike and an improving economy?
2. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
3. What brings about labor problems at the mill? What does Johnny do as a result of the unrest?
4. In Chapter 1 of Part 4, which character becomes the third generation's main character of the story line? Describe this character.
5. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
6. What does Julie tell Dobie after the funeral? Why has their financial situation gotten even worse with George's death?
7. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to unions in steel towns? What does this mean for union workers such as Dobie?
8. Who owns the hotel in East Pittsburgh where Dobie stays? Why is this a good thing for Dobie? How does Dobie make money with his electrical skills?
9. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
10. What happens after the rank -and-file delegates meet from different lodges? What does the union do to help the bargaining committees? Why is the unions' stance unfair?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)