|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what party does Mike vote in the election?
2. What is provided to the workers by the steel mill on election day?
(a) Campaign handouts.
(b) Free lunches.
(c) Sample ballots.
(d) Time off to vote.
3. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 10, where are Mike and Mary living?
(a) In New York.
(b) In White Haven.
(c) In Braddock.
(d) In Washington.
4. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, who does Mike plan on meeting later for a drink?
5. Who breaks the news to Mary about Mike's death?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dobie pick up at the train station for George's funeral?
2. What does Mike expect to happen after he votes?
3. What plan does Mary have to help with finances?
4. With how many children has Mike left Mary?
5. Who does management finally agree to meet with after the rank-and-file workers are ignored?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who owns the hotel in East Pittsburgh where Dobie stays? Why is this a good thing for Dobie? How does Dobie make money with his electrical skills?
2. What directives does the company give the mill workers on how to vote? Does Mike follow the directives?
3. What situation leads to Dobie moving back to Pittsburgh? What job does he take? What historic event happens in the country around this time?
4. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
5. What does the company remind the workers of during mid-term elections? What is the name of the candidate that Mike votes for in the election? What could happen as a result of Mike's choice?
6. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
7. How does Dobie's private life change during the Depression? What happens in his work life?
8. What happens with Dobie and Julie's financial situation as a result of no strike and an improving economy?
9. What does Julie tell Dobie after the funeral? Why has their financial situation gotten even worse with George's death?
10. Explain why voting for the Socialist Party would be in line with Mike's concerns about the mill at this point.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)