|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Tighe?
(a) A union leader.
(b) A mill worker.
(c) A local politician.
(d) A company man.
2. Where does Dobie go after leaving Detroit?
(b) Grand Rapids.
(c) New York.
3. With how many children has Mike left Mary?
4. Who is George buried next to?
5. Why are some of the company's workers fired during the election year?
(a) The workers strike.
(b) The workers try to organize a union.
(c) The workers won't follow the company's voting directives.
(d) The workers vote to go non-union.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Mike and Mary happy about their boarding business decision?
2. Who is in the meeting with management for Dobie's mill?
3. Which candidate is Mike's choice in the election?
4. Who takes family pictures before Mikie leaves to catch a train back to New York?
5. What is the purpose of the C.I.O.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the extent of Dobie's involvement with the union activities at the end of Part 4, Chapter 11 ? Explain.
2. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
3. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
4. Why does George come to live with Mary? Is George's behavior towards Mary that of a loving father?
5. What happens after the rank -and-file delegates meet from different lodges? What does the union do to help the bargaining committees? Why is the unions' stance unfair?
6. Explain why voting for the Socialist Party would be in line with Mike's concerns about the mill at this point.
7. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
8. Describe Mary's life and her children's after Mike's death.
9. When Mary collapses during her pregnancy, she is given instructions by the doctor to rest during the day when "she feels like she need to". What are Mary's responsibilities at this point in the story? What do Mary and Mike decide to do to lighten her responsibilities?
10. What does the company warn workers about concerning union recognition? Is Dobie swayed by the warnings? Explain how his feelings towards the company's warnings mirror his father's voting practices earlier in the book.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)