|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What purchase puts Dobie and Julie back in debt?
(a) A television.
(b) A sewing machine.
(c) A refrigerator.
(d) A washing machine.
2. How does George's death affect Dobie and Julie's financial situation?
(a) They can save more money.
(b) They will miss his pension.
(c) They will inherit George's real estate.
(d) It won't be affected.
3. Why are people standing around Dobie and Julie's house when they arrive home after shopping?
(a) Graffiti has been written on their house.
(b) A union sign is in the front yard.
(c) George has collapsed.
(d) George is drunk in the front yard.
4. What is the purpose of the C.I.O.?
(a) Organizes strikes for workers.
(b) Finances union activities.
(c) Mediates with company executives.
(d) Organized industrial unions.
5. What happens to George that awakens Dobie and Julie in the middle of the night?
(a) George has another stroke.
(b) George wanders away from the house.
(c) George suffers a heart attack.
(d) George is sleepwalking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has the union groups' charters revoked?
2. How does Dobie support himself during the layoffs?
3. Who joins George on his visit to Dorta's?
4. What does Mary do within one month of Mike's death?
5. Who breaks the news to Mary about Mike's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
2. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
3. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, what ongoing crisis is taking place in Mike and Mary's household? What do Mike and Mary not agree on as a resolution to their problem?
4. What situation leads to Dobie moving back to Pittsburgh? What job does he take? What historic event happens in the country around this time?
5. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
6. What happens with Dobie and Julie's financial situation as a result of no strike and an improving economy?
7. What does the company warn workers about concerning union recognition? Is Dobie swayed by the warnings? Explain how his feelings towards the company's warnings mirror his father's voting practices earlier in the book.
8. Where do Mike and Mary move to at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10? What do they have to do to get extra money now that there are no boarders?
9. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
10. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to unions in steel towns? What does this mean for union workers such as Dobie?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)