|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the C.I.O.?
(a) Organizes strikes for workers.
(b) Organized industrial unions.
(c) Mediates with company executives.
(d) Finances union activities.
2. Who is the Superintendent of the mill?
3. Who is Mary baking a birthday cake for in Part 1, Chapter 5?
4. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, who gives Mary lessons about running a boarding house?
5. Why are people standing around Dobie and Julie's house when they arrive home after shopping?
(a) George has collapsed.
(b) A union sign is in the front yard.
(c) Graffiti has been written on their house.
(d) George is drunk in the front yard.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, who does Mike plan on meeting later for a drink?
2. Who objects to Dobie's time being spent on a legitimate union?
3. What are Mike and Mary missing at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10?
4. Why does George collect accident compensation?
5. Who suggests that Mary should remarry soon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why voting for the Socialist Party would be in line with Mike's concerns about the mill at this point.
2. When Mary collapses during her pregnancy, she is given instructions by the doctor to rest during the day when "she feels like she need to". What are Mary's responsibilities at this point in the story? What do Mary and Mike decide to do to lighten her responsibilities?
3. What directives does the company give the mill workers on how to vote? Does Mike follow the directives?
4. What is the extent of Dobie's involvement with the union activities at the end of Part 4, Chapter 11 ? Explain.
5. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, what ongoing crisis is taking place in Mike and Mary's household? What do Mike and Mary not agree on as a resolution to their problem?
6. Why does George come to live with Mary? Is George's behavior towards Mary that of a loving father?
7. What does the company remind the workers of during mid-term elections? What is the name of the candidate that Mike votes for in the election? What could happen as a result of Mike's choice?
8. Where do Mike and Mary move to at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10? What do they have to do to get extra money now that there are no boarders?
9. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
10. What happens with Dobie and Julie's financial situation as a result of no strike and an improving economy?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)