|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dies at the end of Part 3, Chapter 6?
2. Who forms the Committee for Industrial Organization?
(b) Harry F. Burke.
(c) John I. Lewis.
(d) John Hagerty.
3. What incident in Pittsburgh upsets Dobie?
(a) Striking lodges are labeled as Socialistic.
(b) Striking lodges are expelled from the union.
(c) Members' names of striking lodges are blacklisted.
(d) Members of a striking lodge are arrested for disturbing the peace.
4. Who objects to Dobie's time being spent on a legitimate union?
5. Who is the Superintendent of the mill?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets a job selling papers two years after Mike's death?
2. What position is Dobie elected to in the new union?
3. How does Dobie support himself during the layoffs?
4. Who is diagnosed with consumption?
5. Why is Dobie against company unions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What brings about labor problems at the mill? What does Johnny do as a result of the unrest?
2. Where do Mike and Mary move to at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10? What do they have to do to get extra money now that there are no boarders?
3. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
4. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
5. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
6. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
7. When Mary collapses during her pregnancy, she is given instructions by the doctor to rest during the day when "she feels like she need to". What are Mary's responsibilities at this point in the story? What do Mary and Mike decide to do to lighten her responsibilities?
8. What situation leads to Dobie moving back to Pittsburgh? What job does he take? What historic event happens in the country around this time?
9. What directives does the company give the mill workers on how to vote? Does Mike follow the directives?
10. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)