|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dobie support himself during the layoffs?
(a) He sells newspapers.
(b) He gambles at the local speakeasy.
(c) He joins the Mafia.
(d) He does illegal utility hook-ups.
2. What does the steel mill remind workers of on election day?
(a) Who controls the number of work hours.
(b) Who runs the town's economy.
(c) Where the workers get their wages from.
(d) Who owns the houses where the workers live.
3. How old is Mary in this section?
4. Who receives insurance money from Mary's death?
(b) Dobie and Anna.
(c) Dobie and Mikie.
(d) Dobie and Agnes.
5. In Part 4, Chapter 7, what do mill workers want in regards to their union?
(a) Union recognition.
(b) Lower fees.
(c) Shorter work hours.
(d) Higher pay.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 10, where are Mike and Mary living?
2. How much money does Mary receive from the accident compensation plan?
3. What makes Mike and Mary happy about their boarding business decision?
4. Who is the Superintendent of the mill?
5. What household item would Julie like to purchase next?
Short Essay Questions
1. What brings about labor problems at the mill? What does Johnny do as a result of the unrest?
2. What happens after the rank -and-file delegates meet from different lodges? What does the union do to help the bargaining committees? Why is the unions' stance unfair?
3. What is the extent of Dobie's involvement with the union activities at the end of Part 4, Chapter 11 ? Explain.
4. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
5. What does the company warn workers about concerning union recognition? Is Dobie swayed by the warnings? Explain how his feelings towards the company's warnings mirror his father's voting practices earlier in the book.
6. What does the company remind the workers of during mid-term elections? What is the name of the candidate that Mike votes for in the election? What could happen as a result of Mike's choice?
7. How does Dobie's private life change during the Depression? What happens in his work life?
8. What situation leads to Dobie moving back to Pittsburgh? What job does he take? What historic event happens in the country around this time?
9. Explain why voting for the Socialist Party would be in line with Mike's concerns about the mill at this point.
10. What happens with Dobie and Julie's financial situation as a result of no strike and an improving economy?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)