|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dobie discussing with a man named Stever from Uniontown?
(b) The worker unions.
(c) The economy.
(d) The company unions.
2. Why are some of the company's workers fired during the election year?
(a) The workers vote to go non-union.
(b) The workers try to organize a union.
(c) The workers won't follow the company's voting directives.
(d) The workers strike.
3. Who is diagnosed with consumption?
(a) Mary and Pauline.
4. Who suggests that Mary should remarry soon?
5. In what state are Mike and Mary's finances at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10?
(a) They are able to save money every week.
(b) They are able to buy stock.
(c) They are able to invest in other property.
(d) They are using their savings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What company is Dobie's first employer in Detroit?
2. How many boarders live with Mike and Mary?
3. What happens to George that awakens Dobie and Julie in the middle of the night?
4. With how many children has Mike left Mary?
5. According to Dobie, which item needs to be purchased next?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, what ongoing crisis is taking place in Mike and Mary's household? What do Mike and Mary not agree on as a resolution to their problem?
2. How does Dobie's private life change during the Depression? What happens in his work life?
3. What is the extent of Dobie's involvement with the union activities at the end of Part 4, Chapter 11 ? Explain.
4. Why does George come to live with Mary? Is George's behavior towards Mary that of a loving father?
5. In Chapter 1 of Part 4, which character becomes the third generation's main character of the story line? Describe this character.
6. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
7. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to unions in steel towns? What does this mean for union workers such as Dobie?
8. What does Julie tell Dobie after the funeral? Why has their financial situation gotten even worse with George's death?
9. What happens with Dobie and Julie's financial situation as a result of no strike and an improving economy?
10. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)