|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 1, what year is it?
2. What company is Dobie's first employer in Detroit?
(a) The Chrysler Plant.
(c) Ford Motor.
(d) U.S. Steel.
3. What happens to George that awakens Dobie and Julie in the middle of the night?
(a) George has another stroke.
(b) George is sleepwalking.
(c) George suffers a heart attack.
(d) George wanders away from the house.
4. According to Dobie, which item needs to be purchased next?
(a) A stove.
(b) A television.
(c) A refrigerator.
(d) A washing machine.
5. Who has the union groups' charters revoked?
(a) Amalgamated Steel Company.
(c) A. F. I.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what party does Mike vote in the election?
2. What happens to Mike after the election?
3. In what state are Mike and Mary's finances at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10?
4. Who receives insurance money from Mary's death?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 7, what do mill workers want in regards to their union?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
2. Where do Mike and Mary move to at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10? What do they have to do to get extra money now that there are no boarders?
3. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
4. What does the company warn workers about concerning union recognition? Is Dobie swayed by the warnings? Explain how his feelings towards the company's warnings mirror his father's voting practices earlier in the book.
5. Who owns the hotel in East Pittsburgh where Dobie stays? Why is this a good thing for Dobie? How does Dobie make money with his electrical skills?
6. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, what ongoing crisis is taking place in Mike and Mary's household? What do Mike and Mary not agree on as a resolution to their problem?
7. Explain why voting for the Socialist Party would be in line with Mike's concerns about the mill at this point.
8. What does Julie tell Dobie after the funeral? Why has their financial situation gotten even worse with George's death?
9. How does Dobie's private life change during the Depression? What happens in his work life?
10. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)