|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Mary in this section?
2. Who suggests that Mary should remarry soon?
3. For what party does Mike vote in the election?
4. What is the steel mill indicating to workers during mid-term elections?
(a) That unions won't be tolerated.
(b) Workers should vote union.
(c) How workers should vote.
(d) Workers should not vote.
5. What company is Dobie's first employer in Detroit?
(a) Ford Motor.
(b) The Chrysler Plant.
(c) U.S. Steel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is provided to the workers by the steel mill on election day?
2. How many boarders live with Mike and Mary?
3. How much money does Mary receive from the accident compensation plan?
4. What does the steel mill remind workers of on election day?
5. What purchase puts Dobie and Julie back in debt?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
2. Where do Mike and Mary move to at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10? What do they have to do to get extra money now that there are no boarders?
3. What happens after the rank -and-file delegates meet from different lodges? What does the union do to help the bargaining committees? Why is the unions' stance unfair?
4. What situation leads to Dobie moving back to Pittsburgh? What job does he take? What historic event happens in the country around this time?
5. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to unions in steel towns? What does this mean for union workers such as Dobie?
6. What brings about labor problems at the mill? What does Johnny do as a result of the unrest?
7. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
8. What does Julie tell Dobie after the funeral? Why has their financial situation gotten even worse with George's death?
9. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
10. Who owns the hotel in East Pittsburgh where Dobie stays? Why is this a good thing for Dobie? How does Dobie make money with his electrical skills?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)