|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who joins George on his visit to Dorta's?
(b) Dobie and Julie.
2. For what party does Mike vote in the election?
3. Who visits Mary and Mike in the spring?
(b) Joe Perovsky.
(d) Paul Caudle.
4. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, who gives Mary lessons about running a boarding house?
5. What is the steel mill indicating to workers during mid-term elections?
(a) How workers should vote.
(b) Workers should not vote.
(c) That unions won't be tolerated.
(d) Workers should vote union.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dobie learn that there will be no steel mill strike?
2. What do Mike and Mary decide about their boarding business?
3. Which candidate is Mike's choice in the election?
4. As Part 4, Chapter 1 begins, what character is now known as Dobie?
5. What happens to George that awakens Dobie and Julie in the middle of the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the company remind the workers of during mid-term elections? What is the name of the candidate that Mike votes for in the election? What could happen as a result of Mike's choice?
2. Who owns the hotel in East Pittsburgh where Dobie stays? Why is this a good thing for Dobie? How does Dobie make money with his electrical skills?
3. How does Dobie's private life change during the Depression? What happens in his work life?
4. What directives does the company give the mill workers on how to vote? Does Mike follow the directives?
5. What happens with Dobie and Julie's financial situation as a result of no strike and an improving economy?
6. Where do Mike and Mary move to at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10? What do they have to do to get extra money now that there are no boarders?
7. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to unions in steel towns? What does this mean for union workers such as Dobie?
8. When Mary collapses during her pregnancy, she is given instructions by the doctor to rest during the day when "she feels like she need to". What are Mary's responsibilities at this point in the story? What do Mary and Mike decide to do to lighten her responsibilities?
9. In Chapter 1 of Part 4, which character becomes the third generation's main character of the story line? Describe this character.
10. What is the extent of Dobie's involvement with the union activities at the end of Part 4, Chapter 11 ? Explain.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)