|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who joins George on his visit to Dorta's?
(d) Dobie and Julie.
2. Who does management finally agree to meet with after the rank-and-file workers are ignored?
(a) Bargaining units.
(b) Senate committees.
(c) Workers selected by management.
(d) Wage and hour administrators.
3. Who dies at the end of Part 3, Chapter 6?
4. What does the steel mill remind workers of on election day?
(a) Where the workers get their wages from.
(b) Who runs the town's economy.
(c) Who controls the number of work hours.
(d) Who owns the houses where the workers live.
5. How many boarders live with Mike and Mary?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dobie support himself during the layoffs?
2. Who forms the Committee for Industrial Organization?
3. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to union membership?
4. What do some of the men do when they lose their jobs?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 7, what do mill workers want in regards to their union?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
2. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
3. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, what ongoing crisis is taking place in Mike and Mary's household? What do Mike and Mary not agree on as a resolution to their problem?
4. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
5. What does the company warn workers about concerning union recognition? Is Dobie swayed by the warnings? Explain how his feelings towards the company's warnings mirror his father's voting practices earlier in the book.
6. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to unions in steel towns? What does this mean for union workers such as Dobie?
7. Why does George come to live with Mary? Is George's behavior towards Mary that of a loving father?
8. Explain why voting for the Socialist Party would be in line with Mike's concerns about the mill at this point.
9. What directives does the company give the mill workers on how to vote? Does Mike follow the directives?
10. What situation leads to Dobie moving back to Pittsburgh? What job does he take? What historic event happens in the country around this time?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)