|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Dobie pick up at the train station for George's funeral?
2. What position is Dobie elected to in the new union?
(a) Committee member.
3. Who suggests that Mary should remarry soon?
4. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to union membership?
(a) Union membership is increasing.
(b) Union membership is abolished.
(c) Union membership is neither increasing or decreasing.
(d) Union membership is decreasing.
5. For what party does Mike vote in the election?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 7, what do mill workers want in regards to their union?
2. At the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 1, what year is it?
3. Why are people standing around Dobie and Julie's house when they arrive home after shopping?
4. Who does management finally agree to meet with after the rank-and-file workers are ignored?
5. What political party does Mike's candidate represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
2. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
3. What does the company remind the workers of during mid-term elections? What is the name of the candidate that Mike votes for in the election? What could happen as a result of Mike's choice?
4. In Chapter 1 of Part 4, which character becomes the third generation's main character of the story line? Describe this character.
5. What happens after the rank -and-file delegates meet from different lodges? What does the union do to help the bargaining committees? Why is the unions' stance unfair?
6. What suggestions do Joe and Dorta have for Mary to take care of her children? Is Dorta's suggestion based on logic or emotion?
7. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
8. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
9. What happens with Dobie and Julie's financial situation as a result of no strike and an improving economy?
10. What does the company warn workers about concerning union recognition? Is Dobie swayed by the warnings? Explain how his feelings towards the company's warnings mirror his father's voting practices earlier in the book.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)