Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Spetz?
(a) The owner of the Turner Hall Social Club.
(b) A merchant.
(c) A Hungarian Jewish butcher.
(d) A Rabbi.
2. What does the new corporation not tolerate?
(a) Ethnic workers.
(b) Ethnic violence.
(d) Non-union workers.
3. Why does George go to jail?
(a) He slaps a customer.
(b) He gets drunk and beats Zuska.
(c) He gets into a fight at Wold Tavern.
(d) He steals money from Zuska.
4. On what day does Zuska get married?
5. What is heard in the streets after the mill closes?
(b) Newspaper criers.
(c) Church bells.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Carnegie sell his steel plants?
2. Who does George talk to about his financial situation?
3. As soon as George receives his first pay, what does he do?
4. Who does Zuska tell when she finds out that she is pregnant?
5. Who does Mike Dobrejcak marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What directives does the company give the mill workers on how to vote? Does Mike follow the directives?
2. At first, how successful is George in the butcher shop? What positive changes in George and Elena's lifestyle have come about as a result of his business?
3. Who confronts George in front of Elena about his relationship with Zuska? How does Elena react? How does George react? How does he "escape" reality?
4. Describe the mill event that claims Joe Dubik's life. Was it an accident or the result of incompetence? Explain.
5. How does Dobie's private life change during the Depression? What happens in his work life?
6. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, who is introduced as the main character of the section? Describe this character.
7. In Part 1, Chapter 16, it is noted that George "has always been technically faithful to Elena." Explain.
8. What happens with Dobie and Julie's financial situation as a result of no strike and an improving economy?
9. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
10. As the story comes to an end, what lessons does Dobie realize about life?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)