|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does George go to jail?
(a) He gets into a fight at Wold Tavern.
(b) He steals money from Zuska.
(c) He gets drunk and beats Zuska.
(d) He slaps a customer.
2. What job does George's brother-in-law have in America?
(a) On a pipeline.
(b) On a railroad section gang.
(c) In a tire factory.
(d) In a clothing factory.
3. How many shifts are there for workers at the steel mills?
4. Why does Mrs. Mihula live in Braddock?
(a) She works at the mill.
(b) She has free rent in a mill house.
(c) Her sister lives there.
(d) Her husband has a good job there.
5. Who is buried in the Irish cemetery after an elaborate funeral?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Frick's partner and the owner of the steel mill?
2. Why does George have to walk from New York to Pennsylvania?
3. Why has George always been faithful to his wife?
4. Where does George secure a mill job after the union is broken?
5. Why are the workers evicted from their homes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does George come to live with Mary? Is George's behavior towards Mary that of a loving father?
2. Who owns the hotel in East Pittsburgh where Dobie stays? Why is this a good thing for Dobie? How does Dobie make money with his electrical skills?
3. What happens with Zuska and a boarder that might give George a reason to think that he stands a chance at a relationship with her? How does George approach Zuska about the situation, and what is the outcome between them? What are possible reasons for George having second thoughts?
4. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6, why does Francka meet George and Elena at the train station in Homestead? Where does she take George and Elena? What reason does George's sister Francka give for needing only one room in Homestead?
5. Describe the mill event that claims Joe Dubik's life. Was it an accident or the result of incompetence? Explain.
6. Where do George and Elena move to after the trouble in Homestead? What is a typical work day at the mill?
7. What major corporation is formed when Carnegie sells his steel plants to J.P. Morgan? Is this corporation "union friendly"?
8. As the story comes to an end, what lessons does Dobie realize about life?
9. Why does George feel vindicated for not becoming an American citizen so that he can vote? What does George tell Mike about who runs America?
10. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)