|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does George Kracha come to America?
2. Who receives an apology from Elena?
3. What is heard in the streets after the mill closes?
(a) Newspaper criers.
(c) Church bells.
4. Who surrenders after the trouble at the steel mills?
(c) Union workers.
(d) Pinkerton guards.
5. Who does George visit to talk to about his regrets?
(a) A friend.
(c) A priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the workers evicted from their homes?
2. What corporation is formed after the sale of the steel plants?
3. Who is Borka?
4. What does George use all of his money for in this section?
5. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 21, what does George regret about Elena?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 16, it is noted that George "has always been technically faithful to Elena." Explain.
2. Who does George tell about Zuska? What is one explanation for his sharing with another person information about Zuska?
3. How does George explain having no money on his arrival to his sister Francka and her husband?
4. What happens with Zuska and a boarder that might give George a reason to think that he stands a chance at a relationship with her? How does George approach Zuska about the situation, and what is the outcome between them? What are possible reasons for George having second thoughts?
5. Explain how George's relationship with Zuska affect his business with his customers. Give another reason, aside from his customers, that George's business is probably affected by his relationship.
6. Why does Dorta rent a house the very next day after the conversation with George, Andrej, and her husband? What does this say about Dorta's business skills?
7. In the summer following his marriage to Zuska, what happens to George financially? How does George react to his financial situation? How does George's reaction affect his relationship with Zuska?
8. How is Elena's funeral contradictory to her lifestyle? Explain why George might have chosen an elaborate funeral for Elena.
9. What major corporation is formed when Carnegie sells his steel plants to J.P. Morgan? Is this corporation "union friendly"?
10. What does Dubik's death cause George to consider doing about work? What does Dorta tell him about Joe's thoughts on working in the mills? What is a possible explanation for George listening intently to Dorta?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)