|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who applies for citizenship as soon as he becomes of age?
2. What does George lose in this section?
(a) His house and business.
(b) The lots.
(c) His business.
(d) His lots, his house, and the business.
3. Who takes over Elena's household duties?
4. What investment does George make with his spare cash?
(b) A savings account.
(d) Government bonds.
5. According to George's conversation with Zuska, what is lost in a haystack?
(a) His mill identification card.
(b) His money.
(c) His green card.
(d) His immigrant papers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Spetz?
2. In what year does George buy his new business?
3. How much money does the bank need for the principal on George's mortgage?
4. At first, how many rooms do George and Elena rent?
5. According to Part 1, Chapter 1, what usually happens to immigrants when they arrive in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Zuska and a boarder that might give George a reason to think that he stands a chance at a relationship with her? How does George approach Zuska about the situation, and what is the outcome between them? What are possible reasons for George having second thoughts?
2. According to George and Dorta's conversation in Part 1, Chapter 22, what role does Zuska directly play in the loss of George's business? At the time, is George aware of Zuska's actions? What is a possible reason for George not confronting Zuska?
3. What does George wish for after Elena's death, and whom does he consult about the situation with his feelings? What is George's half-hearted gesture at being penitent?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 16, it is noted that George "has always been technically faithful to Elena." Explain.
5. Who does George visit immediately after receiving his first paycheck? What transpires at the meeting?
6. Describe the mill event that claims Joe Dubik's life. Was it an accident or the result of incompetence? Explain.
7. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, who is introduced as the main character of the section? Describe this character.
8. What does Dubik's death cause George to consider doing about work? What does Dorta tell him about Joe's thoughts on working in the mills? What is a possible explanation for George listening intently to Dorta?
9. Who does George tell about Zuska? What is one explanation for his sharing with another person information about Zuska?
10. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6, why does Francka meet George and Elena at the train station in Homestead? Where does she take George and Elena? What reason does George's sister Francka give for needing only one room in Homestead?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)