|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much older are George and Zuska when their paths cross again?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Ten years.
2. According to Zuska's sister, who will Zuska probably marry?
(b) George's brother.
(d) A boarder.
3. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, what year is it?
4. According to George's conversation with Zuska, what is lost in a haystack?
(a) His green card.
(b) His mill identification card.
(c) His money.
(d) His immigrant papers.
5. What does George use all of his money for in this section?
(a) Zuska's rent.
(b) Elena's funeral.
(c) Elena's medical bills.
(d) The butcher shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect is Zuska having on George after she reappears?
2. What does Andrej place in his foreman's pocket at the saloon?
3. Who is George Kracha?
4. Who is the author of Out of This Furnace?
5. Why does George go to jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does George go to get a mill job after leaving Braddock? As he goes back to work in a mill, a job that he has always disliked, what takes George a long time to get over?
2. How does George explain having no money on his arrival to his sister Francka and her husband?
3. What two important events happen during November, 1903 to Mike? Why is he becoming increasingly frustrated during the winter of 1903?
4. At first, how successful is George in the butcher shop? What positive changes in George and Elena's lifestyle have come about as a result of his business?
5. Who does George visit immediately after receiving his first paycheck? What transpires at the meeting?
6. What does George wish for after Elena's death, and whom does he consult about the situation with his feelings? What is George's half-hearted gesture at being penitent?
7. How is Elena's funeral contradictory to her lifestyle? Explain why George might have chosen an elaborate funeral for Elena.
8. What is so special about the Dexter's home where Mary Kracha works? How does the Dexter's house come up in a conversation between Mike and Mary? Ultimately, what happens to Mike and Mary's relationship?
9. Describe the mill event that claims Joe Dubik's life. Was it an accident or the result of incompetence? Explain.
10. What major corporation is formed when Carnegie sells his steel plants to J.P. Morgan? Is this corporation "union friendly"?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)