|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does George use all of his money for in this section?
(a) The butcher shop.
(b) Zuska's rent.
(c) Elena's funeral.
(d) Elena's medical bills.
2. Who votes for the first time in Part 2, Chapter 5?
3. Who is on the ship that George boards in Bremen?
(a) Zuska and her sister.
(b) Zuska and Dobie Dobrejcak.
(c) Zuska and her husband.
(d) Zuska and Franz Josef.
4. Why are the workers evicted from their homes?
(a) They refuse to accept the company's work terms.
(b) They have no money to pay rent.
(c) The houses are deemed unsafe.
(d) They have been arrested for misconduct.
5. What does George lose in this section?
(a) His house and business.
(b) His lots, his house, and the business.
(c) His business.
(d) The lots.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George do during the summer to provide food for his family?
2. In what year does George buy his new business?
3. How long has Dobrejcak been in America?
4. Why does George need to call a priest?
5. At first, how many rooms do George and Elena rent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is George Kracha hoping to leave behind when he leaves Hungary for America in 1881?
2. Where is Andrej now working since moving to Homestead? What happens when George, Andrej, and Andrej's foreman meet to talk about a job for George?
3. Who does George meet while boarding the ship to America? Explain the irony between George's meeting and the warning that Andrej gives him about immigrants being robbed once they arrive in America.
4. In Part 1, Chapter 16, it is noted that George "has always been technically faithful to Elena." Explain.
5. After reaching New York, how does George manage to travel to Pennsylvania without any money?
6. How is Elena's funeral contradictory to her lifestyle? Explain why George might have chosen an elaborate funeral for Elena.
7. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, who is introduced as the main character of the section? Describe this character.
8. What does George know about the plight of some immigrants when they arrive in America? Who is already in America to help George avoid similar problems?
9. What two important events happen during November, 1903 to Mike? Why is he becoming increasingly frustrated during the winter of 1903?
10. What does George wish for after Elena's death, and whom does he consult about the situation with his feelings? What is George's half-hearted gesture at being penitent?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)