|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mike Dobrejcak marry?
2. Who is the author of Out of This Furnace?
(a) John Grisham.
(b) Avery Siddons.
(c) Thomas Bell.
(d) William Keats.
3. Who does Zuska tell when she finds out that she is pregnant?
4. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, what year is it?
5. In what year does George Kracha come to America?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does George go to jail?
2. Where is George Kracha bound for in America?
3. What does George use all of his money for in this section?
4. Who closes the steel mill?
5. What does George do during the summer to provide food for his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is George Kracha hoping to leave behind when he leaves Hungary for America in 1881?
2. What does George know about the plight of some immigrants when they arrive in America? Who is already in America to help George avoid similar problems?
3. Where does George go to get a mill job after leaving Braddock? As he goes back to work in a mill, a job that he has always disliked, what takes George a long time to get over?
4. What does George wish for after Elena's death, and whom does he consult about the situation with his feelings? What is George's half-hearted gesture at being penitent?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 16, it is noted that George "has always been technically faithful to Elena." Explain.
6. At first, how successful is George in the butcher shop? What positive changes in George and Elena's lifestyle have come about as a result of his business?
7. What major corporation is formed when Carnegie sells his steel plants to J.P. Morgan? Is this corporation "union friendly"?
8. Who does George meet while boarding the ship to America? Explain the irony between George's meeting and the warning that Andrej gives him about immigrants being robbed once they arrive in America.
9. Who does George tell about Zuska? What is one explanation for his sharing with another person information about Zuska?
10. Why does George feel vindicated for not becoming an American citizen so that he can vote? What does George tell Mike about who runs America?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)