|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to George, who owns everything in the United States?
(a) The politicians.
(b) Millionaires and trusts.
(c) Bankers and politicians.
(d) The natural born Americans.
2. What happens at the steel mill that worries George?
(a) His hours are cut.
(b) There is talk of a strike.
(c) There is a fire.
(d) The union disbands.
3. Who is Borka?
(a) Andrej's sister.
(b) Elena's sister.
(c) Francka's mother.
(d) George's sister.
4. What does the new corporation not tolerate?
(a) Ethnic workers.
(b) Non-union workers.
(c) Ethnic violence.
5. What investment does George make with his spare cash?
(a) A savings account.
(b) Government bonds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rents a house to take in boarders?
2. What corporation is formed after the sale of the steel plants?
3. What is George's first main job in America?
4. What kind of business is George thinking about opening?
5. What is George's wife's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Andrej now working since moving to Homestead? What happens when George, Andrej, and Andrej's foreman meet to talk about a job for George?
2. What business is George considering buying? What are his plans for the shop? Is his business plan logical? What could be a possible obstacle to George being successful?
3. What happens in Homestead when it is time for the union's contract negotiations to begin at the steel mill? What happens two days before the end of the current contract at the mill?
4. What does Dubik's death cause George to consider doing about work? What does Dorta tell him about Joe's thoughts on working in the mills? What is a possible explanation for George listening intently to Dorta?
5. How is Elena's funeral contradictory to her lifestyle? Explain why George might have chosen an elaborate funeral for Elena.
6. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6, why does Francka meet George and Elena at the train station in Homestead? Where does she take George and Elena? What reason does George's sister Francka give for needing only one room in Homestead?
7. What major corporation is formed when Carnegie sells his steel plants to J.P. Morgan? Is this corporation "union friendly"?
8. What does George know about the plight of some immigrants when they arrive in America? Who is already in America to help George avoid similar problems?
9. What happens when Zuska walks into George's butcher shop? What does George do while Zuska is there that foreshadows a possible problem for his business?
10. Why does George feel vindicated for not becoming an American citizen so that he can vote? What does George tell Mike about who runs America?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)