|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who confronts George about Zuska?
2. According to Zuska's sister, who will Zuska probably marry?
(b) George's brother.
(d) A boarder.
3. Who tells George to talk to local businessmen about selling his lots?
(a) A banker.
(b) A customer.
4. What investment does George make with his spare cash?
(a) A savings account.
(d) Government bonds.
5. Why does George show little interest in politics?
(a) He is a poor man.
(b) He cannot read.
(c) He cannot vote.
(d) He defected to this country.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Zuska tell when she finds out that she is pregnant?
2. Who is on the ship that George boards in Bremen?
3. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 21, what does George regret about Elena?
4. How does George help Zuska?
5. Why does George have to walk from New York to Pennsylvania?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two important events happen during November, 1903 to Mike? Why is he becoming increasingly frustrated during the winter of 1903?
2. How does George explain having no money on his arrival to his sister Francka and her husband?
3. What reason does George give Zuska for why he walked from New York to Pennsylvania after he arrived in America? Give two possible reasons for his dishonesty.
4. Who does George visit immediately after receiving his first paycheck? What transpires at the meeting?
5. Why does George feel vindicated for not becoming an American citizen so that he can vote? What does George tell Mike about who runs America?
6. Explain how George's relationship with Zuska affect his business with his customers. Give another reason, aside from his customers, that George's business is probably affected by his relationship.
7. Where does George go to get a mill job after leaving Braddock? As he goes back to work in a mill, a job that he has always disliked, what takes George a long time to get over?
8. What is so special about the Dexter's home where Mary Kracha works? How does the Dexter's house come up in a conversation between Mike and Mary? Ultimately, what happens to Mike and Mary's relationship?
9. Why does Dorta rent a house the very next day after the conversation with George, Andrej, and her husband? What does this say about Dorta's business skills?
10. How is Elena's funeral contradictory to her lifestyle? Explain why George might have chosen an elaborate funeral for Elena.
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)