|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who marries Steve Radilla?
2. According to Part 1, Chapter 1, what usually happens to immigrants when they arrive in America?
(a) They are welcomed.
(b) They are robbed, beaten, and killed.
(c) They are met with suspicion.
(d) They are ridiculed.
3. Who does George visit to talk to about his regrets?
(b) A friend.
(d) A priest.
4. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 21, what does George regret about Elena?
(a) George regrets marrying Elena.
(b) George regrets that Elena is sick.
(c) George regrets that Elena came to America.
(d) George regrets not treating Elena better.
5. To whom does Carnegie sell his steel plants?
(a) Victor Kracha.
(b) J.P. Morgan.
(c) Mike Dobrejcak.
(d) Paul Caudle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Zuska why George had to walk to New York after arriving in America?
2. Who does George leave behind in his homeland?
3. Who closes the steel mill?
4. Who from George's past enters his shop one day?
5. What does George do during the summer to provide food for his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Pat 2, Chapter 14, what happens after George goes out drinking the day before Anna's baby's christening?
2. In the summer following his marriage to Zuska, what happens to George financially? How does George react to his financial situation? How does George's reaction affect his relationship with Zuska?
3. What happens in Homestead when it is time for the union's contract negotiations to begin at the steel mill? What happens two days before the end of the current contract at the mill?
4. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, what ongoing crisis is taking place in Mike and Mary's household? What do Mike and Mary not agree on as a resolution to their problem?
5. What brings about labor problems at the mill? What does Johnny do as a result of the unrest?
6. Who does George meet while boarding the ship to America? Explain the irony between George's meeting and the warning that Andrej gives him about immigrants being robbed once they arrive in America.
7. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
8. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6, why does Francka meet George and Elena at the train station in Homestead? Where does she take George and Elena? What reason does George's sister Francka give for needing only one room in Homestead?
9. What two important events happen during November, 1903 to Mike? Why is he becoming increasingly frustrated during the winter of 1903?
10. What directives does the company give the mill workers on how to vote? Does Mike follow the directives?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)