|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Dobrejcak been in America?
(a) Eleven years.
(b) Five years.
(c) One year.
(d) Twenty years.
2. Who works in H furnace?
3. How long after Elena's death does George wait to visit Zuska?
(a) One month.
(b) One year.
(c) One week.
(d) Six months.
4. Who has "the decency to stay away" from the funeral?
5. Who moves to a new brick house on River Street?
(a) George and Elena.
(b) Dorta and Joe.
(c) Mike and Zuska.
(d) Zuska and Mullhall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is heard in the streets after the mill closes?
2. What is George's wife's name?
3. How old is Mike Dobrejcak?
4. What does George use all of his money for in this section?
5. How much money does the bank need for the principal on George's mortgage?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6, why does Francka meet George and Elena at the train station in Homestead? Where does she take George and Elena? What reason does George's sister Francka give for needing only one room in Homestead?
2. Who does George tell about Zuska? What is one explanation for his sharing with another person information about Zuska?
3. Who confronts George in front of Elena about his relationship with Zuska? How does Elena react? How does George react? How does he "escape" reality?
4. At first, how successful is George in the butcher shop? What positive changes in George and Elena's lifestyle have come about as a result of his business?
5. What two important events happen during November, 1903 to Mike? Why is he becoming increasingly frustrated during the winter of 1903?
6. Why does George feel vindicated for not becoming an American citizen so that he can vote? What does George tell Mike about who runs America?
7. After reaching New York, how does George manage to travel to Pennsylvania without any money?
8. What business is George considering buying? What are his plans for the shop? Is his business plan logical? What could be a possible obstacle to George being successful?
9. Describe the mill event that claims Joe Dubik's life. Was it an accident or the result of incompetence? Explain.
10. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, who is introduced as the main character of the section? Describe this character.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)