|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect is Zuska having on George after she reappears?
(a) He begins to drink heavily.
(b) He becomes rude to customers.
(c) He considers an extra-marital affair.
(d) He begins to have financial problems.
2. How many hours per day do the mill workers work?
3. How old is Mike Dobrejcak?
4. What does George lose in this section?
(a) His house and business.
(b) His business.
(c) The lots.
(d) His lots, his house, and the business.
5. Who is Andy?
(a) George's brother.
(b) Borka's son.
(c) George's son.
(d) Francka's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Borka?
2. Where does Dobrejcak work?
3. In what year does George buy his new business?
4. Who does Mike Dobrejcak marry?
5. On what day of the week does the United States declare war against Spain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What situation leads to Dobie moving back to Pittsburgh? What job does he take? What historic event happens in the country around this time?
2. What reason does George give Zuska for why he walked from New York to Pennsylvania after he arrived in America? Give two possible reasons for his dishonesty.
3. Why does Dorta rent a house the very next day after the conversation with George, Andrej, and her husband? What does this say about Dorta's business skills?
4. How does George explain having no money on his arrival to his sister Francka and her husband?
5. Where is Andrej now working since moving to Homestead? What happens when George, Andrej, and Andrej's foreman meet to talk about a job for George?
6. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6, why does Francka meet George and Elena at the train station in Homestead? Where does she take George and Elena? What reason does George's sister Francka give for needing only one room in Homestead?
7. What does the company warn workers about concerning union recognition? Is Dobie swayed by the warnings? Explain how his feelings towards the company's warnings mirror his father's voting practices earlier in the book.
8. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
9. What does George know about the plight of some immigrants when they arrive in America? Who is already in America to help George avoid similar problems?
10. Describe Mary's life and her children's after Mike's death.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)