|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is George Kracha?
(a) A third generation immigrant who comes to America.
(b) A first generation immigrant who comes to America.
(c) The first American immigrant to defect.
(d) A second generation immigrant who narrates the story.
2. Who is buried in the Irish cemetery after an elaborate funeral?
3. Why does George show little interest in politics?
(a) He is a poor man.
(b) He cannot read.
(c) He defected to this country.
(d) He cannot vote.
4. How long after Elena's death does George wait to visit Zuska?
(a) One year.
(b) One week.
(c) Six months.
(d) One month.
5. What kind of business is George thinking about opening?
(a) A construction company.
(b) A butcher shop.
(c) A brokerage.
(d) A grocery store.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who moves to a new brick house on River Street?
2. Who applies for citizenship as soon as he becomes of age?
3. Who does George leave behind in his homeland?
4. What is George's first main job in America?
5. How much older are George and Zuska when their paths cross again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What major corporation is formed when Carnegie sells his steel plants to J.P. Morgan? Is this corporation "union friendly"?
2. Why does George feel vindicated for not becoming an American citizen so that he can vote? What does George tell Mike about who runs America?
3. What happens when Zuska walks into George's butcher shop? What does George do while Zuska is there that foreshadows a possible problem for his business?
4. Where does George go to get a mill job after leaving Braddock? As he goes back to work in a mill, a job that he has always disliked, what takes George a long time to get over?
5. How is Elena's funeral contradictory to her lifestyle? Explain why George might have chosen an elaborate funeral for Elena.
6. Who does George meet while boarding the ship to America? Explain the irony between George's meeting and the warning that Andrej gives him about immigrants being robbed once they arrive in America.
7. Who does George visit immediately after receiving his first paycheck? What transpires at the meeting?
8. What happens in Homestead when it is time for the union's contract negotiations to begin at the steel mill? What happens two days before the end of the current contract at the mill?
9. Where do George and Elena move to after the trouble in Homestead? What is a typical work day at the mill?
10. In the summer following his marriage to Zuska, what happens to George financially? How does George react to his financial situation? How does George's reaction affect his relationship with Zuska?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)