|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells George to talk to local businessmen about selling his lots?
(c) A customer.
(d) A banker.
2. Who visits George right after he is released from jail?
3. What effect is Zuska having on George after she reappears?
(a) He begins to drink heavily.
(b) He becomes rude to customers.
(c) He begins to have financial problems.
(d) He considers an extra-marital affair.
4. Who invites George to visit after he asks for an invitation?
(a) Zuska's sister.
(c) Zuska's brother-in-law.
5. How long after Elena's death does George wait to visit Zuska?
(a) Six months.
(b) One week.
(c) One year.
(d) One month.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much older are George and Zuska when their paths cross again?
2. How long has Dobrejcak been in America?
3. What job does George's brother-in-law have in America?
4. Who is in control of the steel mills immediately following the arrival of a General with troops?
5. Where is George Kracha bound for in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does George meet while boarding the ship to America? Explain the irony between George's meeting and the warning that Andrej gives him about immigrants being robbed once they arrive in America.
2. Explain how George's relationship with Zuska affect his business with his customers. Give another reason, aside from his customers, that George's business is probably affected by his relationship.
3. What does George know about the plight of some immigrants when they arrive in America? Who is already in America to help George avoid similar problems?
4. Where does George go to get a mill job after leaving Braddock? As he goes back to work in a mill, a job that he has always disliked, what takes George a long time to get over?
5. Who does George visit immediately after receiving his first paycheck? What transpires at the meeting?
6. Who does George tell about Zuska? What is one explanation for his sharing with another person information about Zuska?
7. After reaching New York, how does George manage to travel to Pennsylvania without any money?
8. In Part 1, Chapter 16, it is noted that George "has always been technically faithful to Elena." Explain.
9. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6, why does Francka meet George and Elena at the train station in Homestead? Where does she take George and Elena? What reason does George's sister Francka give for needing only one room in Homestead?
10. What does Dubik's death cause George to consider doing about work? What does Dorta tell him about Joe's thoughts on working in the mills? What is a possible explanation for George listening intently to Dorta?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)