|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who buys a house in Munhall Hollow?
2. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, what year is it?
3. Who is buried in the Irish cemetery after an elaborate funeral?
4. How old is Mike Dobrejcak?
5. According to George's conversation with Zuska, what is lost in a haystack?
(a) His immigrant papers.
(b) His green card.
(c) His mill identification card.
(d) His money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is George Kracha?
2. Why does George go to jail?
3. How long does it take George to repay the loan for his trip to America?
4. Who moves to a new brick house on River Street?
5. How does George help Zuska?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is George Kracha hoping to leave behind when he leaves Hungary for America in 1881?
2. What does George know about the plight of some immigrants when they arrive in America? Who is already in America to help George avoid similar problems?
3. Who does George visit immediately after receiving his first paycheck? What transpires at the meeting?
4. After reaching New York, how does George manage to travel to Pennsylvania without any money?
5. What does Dubik's death cause George to consider doing about work? What does Dorta tell him about Joe's thoughts on working in the mills? What is a possible explanation for George listening intently to Dorta?
6. Where is Andrej now working since moving to Homestead? What happens when George, Andrej, and Andrej's foreman meet to talk about a job for George?
7. What does George wish for after Elena's death, and whom does he consult about the situation with his feelings? What is George's half-hearted gesture at being penitent?
8. Why does George feel vindicated for not becoming an American citizen so that he can vote? What does George tell Mike about who runs America?
9. What business is George considering buying? What are his plans for the shop? Is his business plan logical? What could be a possible obstacle to George being successful?
10. How is Elena's funeral contradictory to her lifestyle? Explain why George might have chosen an elaborate funeral for Elena.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)