|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What investment does George make with his spare cash?
(b) A savings account.
(c) Government bonds.
2. What does George do during the summer to provide food for his family?
(a) He farms.
(b) He takes a second job in a grocery store.
(c) He works as a delivery man for an ice company.
(d) He builds furniture.
3. Why does George have to walk from New York to Pennsylvania?
(a) He spends most of his money on a party.
(b) He gives most of his money to a fellow immigrant.
(c) He loses the money by gambling.
(d) He is robbed.
4. Who is Frick's partner and the owner of the steel mill?
5. Why does George show little interest in politics?
(a) He is a poor man.
(b) He cannot vote.
(c) He cannot read.
(d) He defected to this country.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who works in H furnace?
2. In what year does George buy his new business?
3. Why does George need to call a priest?
4. What does the new corporation not tolerate?
5. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 21, what does George regret about Elena?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how George's relationship with Zuska affect his business with his customers. Give another reason, aside from his customers, that George's business is probably affected by his relationship.
2. What is so special about the Dexter's home where Mary Kracha works? How does the Dexter's house come up in a conversation between Mike and Mary? Ultimately, what happens to Mike and Mary's relationship?
3. How does George explain having no money on his arrival to his sister Francka and her husband?
4. Who confronts George in front of Elena about his relationship with Zuska? How does Elena react? How does George react? How does he "escape" reality?
5. Where do George and Elena move to after the trouble in Homestead? What is a typical work day at the mill?
6. According to George and Dorta's conversation in Part 1, Chapter 22, what role does Zuska directly play in the loss of George's business? At the time, is George aware of Zuska's actions? What is a possible reason for George not confronting Zuska?
7. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6, why does Francka meet George and Elena at the train station in Homestead? Where does she take George and Elena? What reason does George's sister Francka give for needing only one room in Homestead?
8. In the summer following his marriage to Zuska, what happens to George financially? How does George react to his financial situation? How does George's reaction affect his relationship with Zuska?
9. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, who is introduced as the main character of the section? Describe this character.
10. What happens when Zuska walks into George's butcher shop? What does George do while Zuska is there that foreshadows a possible problem for his business?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)