|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does George show little interest in politics?
(a) He is a poor man.
(b) He cannot vote.
(c) He cannot read.
(d) He defected to this country.
2. Where does Dobrejcak work?
(a) The mercantile.
(b) The butcher shop.
(c) The mill.
(d) The bank.
3. According to George, who owns everything in the United States?
(a) Bankers and politicians.
(b) Millionaires and trusts.
(c) The politicians.
(d) The natural born Americans.
4. What does Andrej place in his foreman's pocket at the saloon?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Twenty dollars.
(c) Three dollars.
(d) One dollar.
5. Who is talking with George in Dorta's kitchen about leaving the steel mills?
Short Answer Questions
1. At first, how many rooms do George and Elena rent?
2. How much does Dobrejcak earn an hour?
3. Who marries Steve Radilla?
4. From what country does George Kracha immigrate?
5. How long does it take George to repay the loan for his trip to America?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who confronts George in front of Elena about his relationship with Zuska? How does Elena react? How does George react? How does he "escape" reality?
2. What major corporation is formed when Carnegie sells his steel plants to J.P. Morgan? Is this corporation "union friendly"?
3. Why does George feel vindicated for not becoming an American citizen so that he can vote? What does George tell Mike about who runs America?
4. What happens in Homestead when it is time for the union's contract negotiations to begin at the steel mill? What happens two days before the end of the current contract at the mill?
5. After reaching New York, how does George manage to travel to Pennsylvania without any money?
6. What is so special about the Dexter's home where Mary Kracha works? How does the Dexter's house come up in a conversation between Mike and Mary? Ultimately, what happens to Mike and Mary's relationship?
7. Who does George tell about Zuska? What is one explanation for his sharing with another person information about Zuska?
8. Why does Dorta rent a house the very next day after the conversation with George, Andrej, and her husband? What does this say about Dorta's business skills?
9. Who does George visit immediately after receiving his first paycheck? What transpires at the meeting?
10. According to George and Dorta's conversation in Part 1, Chapter 22, what role does Zuska directly play in the loss of George's business? At the time, is George aware of Zuska's actions? What is a possible reason for George not confronting Zuska?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)