|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Carnegie sell his steel plants?
(a) Paul Caudle.
(b) Victor Kracha.
(c) J.P. Morgan.
(d) Mike Dobrejcak.
2. Who is Djuro?
(a) George's firstborn son.
(b) George's friend.
(c) George's boss.
(d) George's brother-in-law.
3. In what year does George Kracha come to America?
4. What kind of business is George thinking about opening?
(a) A grocery store.
(b) A construction company.
(c) A butcher shop.
(d) A brokerage.
5. Why does George need to call a priest?
(a) Elena needs to talk to the priest about her marriage.
(b) Elena is dying.
(c) George wants to confess his infidelity.
(d) George need information about a church member.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is buried in the Irish cemetery after an elaborate funeral?
2. How much older are George and Zuska when their paths cross again?
3. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 11, what kind of transportation is George using to go to work?
4. What effect is Zuska having on George after she reappears?
5. Who works in H furnace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Zuska and a boarder that might give George a reason to think that he stands a chance at a relationship with her? How does George approach Zuska about the situation, and what is the outcome between them? What are possible reasons for George having second thoughts?
2. In the summer following his marriage to Zuska, what happens to George financially? How does George react to his financial situation? How does George's reaction affect his relationship with Zuska?
3. What brings about labor problems at the mill? What does Johnny do as a result of the unrest?
4. Where does George go to get a mill job after leaving Braddock? As he goes back to work in a mill, a job that he has always disliked, what takes George a long time to get over?
5. What happens with Dobie and Julie's financial situation as a result of no strike and an improving economy?
6. What major corporation is formed when Carnegie sells his steel plants to J.P. Morgan? Is this corporation "union friendly"?
7. As the story comes to an end, what lessons does Dobie realize about life?
8. Where do Mike and Mary move to at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10? What do they have to do to get extra money now that there are no boarders?
9. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
10. Who confronts George in front of Elena about his relationship with Zuska? How does Elena react? How does George react? How does he "escape" reality?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)