|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who buys a house in Munhall Hollow?
2. How much older are George and Zuska when their paths cross again?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Twenty years.
3. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 11, what does Joe tell George while they are on their way to work?
(a) He and his family are moving to Cherry Alley.
(b) He is leaving the steel mill.
(c) He is the new union leader.
(d) He is buying a house in Braddock.
4. Why does George go to jail?
(a) He gets into a fight at Wold Tavern.
(b) He steals money from Zuska.
(c) He gets drunk and beats Zuska.
(d) He slaps a customer.
5. Who does George leave behind in his homeland?
(a) Wife, sister, brother.
(b) Wife, two children.
(c) Wife, child, mother.
(d) Wife, sister, mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Andy?
2. Who is buried in the Irish cemetery after an elaborate funeral?
3. To whom does Carnegie sell his steel plants?
4. Who is on the ship that George boards in Bremen?
5. How old is Mike Dobrejcak?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 16, it is noted that George "has always been technically faithful to Elena." Explain.
2. How is Elena's funeral contradictory to her lifestyle? Explain why George might have chosen an elaborate funeral for Elena.
3. What major corporation is formed when Carnegie sells his steel plants to J.P. Morgan? Is this corporation "union friendly"?
4. What does George know about the plight of some immigrants when they arrive in America? Who is already in America to help George avoid similar problems?
5. Who confronts George in front of Elena about his relationship with Zuska? How does Elena react? How does George react? How does he "escape" reality?
6. Where is Andrej now working since moving to Homestead? What happens when George, Andrej, and Andrej's foreman meet to talk about a job for George?
7. What happens in Homestead when it is time for the union's contract negotiations to begin at the steel mill? What happens two days before the end of the current contract at the mill?
8. Why does Dorta rent a house the very next day after the conversation with George, Andrej, and her husband? What does this say about Dorta's business skills?
9. What reason does George give Zuska for why he walked from New York to Pennsylvania after he arrived in America? Give two possible reasons for his dishonesty.
10. Where do George and Elena move to after the trouble in Homestead? What is a typical work day at the mill?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)