|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 11, what kind of transportation is George using to go to work?
2. Who surrenders after the trouble at the steel mills?
(a) Pinkerton guards.
(d) Union workers.
3. Who marries Steve Radilla?
4. In what year does George buy his new business?
5. In what year does George Kracha come to America?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does George have to walk from New York to Pennsylvania?
2. According to George's conversation with Zuska, what is lost in a haystack?
3. Which town does George arrive in after walking with only fifty cents in his pocket?
4. Who does Zuska tell when she finds out that she is pregnant?
5. Who receives an apology from Elena?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George know about the plight of some immigrants when they arrive in America? Who is already in America to help George avoid similar problems?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 16, it is noted that George "has always been technically faithful to Elena." Explain.
3. Where is Andrej now working since moving to Homestead? What happens when George, Andrej, and Andrej's foreman meet to talk about a job for George?
4. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, what are Mike and Mary doing to make extra money? Who is giving them pointers?
5. Where do Mike and Mary move to at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10? What do they have to do to get extra money now that there are no boarders?
6. How does Dobie's private life change during the Depression? What happens in his work life?
7. Who comes in from New York for George's funeral? What feelings does Dobie express about living and working in Braddock to Mikie? What does this once again say about Dobie's resolve?
8. What directives does the company give the mill workers on how to vote? Does Mike follow the directives?
9. What happens to George at the end of Part 4, Chapter 10? Explain how this event's aftermath is so typical of George's behavior throughout the book.
10. Who owns the hotel in East Pittsburgh where Dobie stays? Why is this a good thing for Dobie? How does Dobie make money with his electrical skills?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)