|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who from George's past enters his shop one day?
2. Who receives an apology from Elena?
3. Who is Mike's younger brother?
4. Who confronts George about Zuska?
5. What happens at the steel mill that worries George?
(a) There is a fire.
(b) The union disbands.
(c) His hours are cut.
(d) There is talk of a strike.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Joe after he is taken to Pittsburgh?
2. Why are the workers evicted from their homes?
3. Who is talking with George in Dorta's kitchen about leaving the steel mills?
4. To whom does Carnegie sell his steel plants?
5. Who is in control of the steel mills immediately following the arrival of a General with troops?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does George tell about Zuska? What is one explanation for his sharing with another person information about Zuska?
2. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 6, why does Francka meet George and Elena at the train station in Homestead? Where does she take George and Elena? What reason does George's sister Francka give for needing only one room in Homestead?
3. Describe the mill event that claims Joe Dubik's life. Was it an accident or the result of incompetence? Explain.
4. What reason does George give Zuska for why he walked from New York to Pennsylvania after he arrived in America? Give two possible reasons for his dishonesty.
5. What does George wish for after Elena's death, and whom does he consult about the situation with his feelings? What is George's half-hearted gesture at being penitent?
6. According to George and Dorta's conversation in Part 1, Chapter 22, what role does Zuska directly play in the loss of George's business? At the time, is George aware of Zuska's actions? What is a possible reason for George not confronting Zuska?
7. Who does George meet while boarding the ship to America? Explain the irony between George's meeting and the warning that Andrej gives him about immigrants being robbed once they arrive in America.
8. What happens in Homestead when it is time for the union's contract negotiations to begin at the steel mill? What happens two days before the end of the current contract at the mill?
9. Where is Andrej now working since moving to Homestead? What happens when George, Andrej, and Andrej's foreman meet to talk about a job for George?
10. What happens with Zuska and a boarder that might give George a reason to think that he stands a chance at a relationship with her? How does George approach Zuska about the situation, and what is the outcome between them? What are possible reasons for George having second thoughts?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)