|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is George Kracha bound for in America?
(b) New Jersey.
2. According to George, who owns everything in the United States?
(a) The politicians.
(b) Millionaires and trusts.
(c) Bankers and politicians.
(d) The natural born Americans.
3. Who moves to a new brick house on River Street?
(a) George and Elena.
(b) Zuska and Mullhall.
(c) Mike and Zuska.
(d) Dorta and Joe.
4. Who applies for citizenship as soon as he becomes of age?
5. What happens at the steel mill that worries George?
(a) The union disbands.
(b) There is a fire.
(c) There is talk of a strike.
(d) His hours are cut.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day does Zuska get married?
2. What does George lose in this section?
3. Who works in H furnace?
4. Who rents a house to take in boarders?
5. Why does George go to jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George know about the plight of some immigrants when they arrive in America? Who is already in America to help George avoid similar problems?
2. What does George wish for after Elena's death, and whom does he consult about the situation with his feelings? What is George's half-hearted gesture at being penitent?
3. Who confronts George in front of Elena about his relationship with Zuska? How does Elena react? How does George react? How does he "escape" reality?
4. What does Dubik's death cause George to consider doing about work? What does Dorta tell him about Joe's thoughts on working in the mills? What is a possible explanation for George listening intently to Dorta?
5. Explain how George's relationship with Zuska affect his business with his customers. Give another reason, aside from his customers, that George's business is probably affected by his relationship.
6. What major corporation is formed when Carnegie sells his steel plants to J.P. Morgan? Is this corporation "union friendly"?
7. Why does George feel vindicated for not becoming an American citizen so that he can vote? What does George tell Mike about who runs America?
8. Where do George and Elena move to after the trouble in Homestead? What is a typical work day at the mill?
9. In Part 1, Chapter 16, it is noted that George "has always been technically faithful to Elena." Explain.
10. What happens in Homestead when it is time for the union's contract negotiations to begin at the steel mill? What happens two days before the end of the current contract at the mill?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)