|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mike's younger brother?
2. According to Part 1, Chapter 1, what usually happens to immigrants when they arrive in America?
(a) They are robbed, beaten, and killed.
(b) They are ridiculed.
(c) They are welcomed.
(d) They are met with suspicion.
3. Who from George's past enters his shop one day?
4. How old is Mike Dobrejcak?
5. Who takes over Elena's household duties?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George lose in this section?
2. Who is Andy?
3. Who tells George to talk to local businessmen about selling his lots?
4. How long after Elena's death does George wait to visit Zuska?
5. How many children does Zuska have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does George visit immediately after receiving his first paycheck? What transpires at the meeting?
2. What business is George considering buying? What are his plans for the shop? Is his business plan logical? What could be a possible obstacle to George being successful?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 16, it is noted that George "has always been technically faithful to Elena." Explain.
4. In the summer following his marriage to Zuska, what happens to George financially? How does George react to his financial situation? How does George's reaction affect his relationship with Zuska?
5. Where does George go to get a mill job after leaving Braddock? As he goes back to work in a mill, a job that he has always disliked, what takes George a long time to get over?
6. Where do George and Elena move to after the trouble in Homestead? What is a typical work day at the mill?
7. After reaching New York, how does George manage to travel to Pennsylvania without any money?
8. What major corporation is formed when Carnegie sells his steel plants to J.P. Morgan? Is this corporation "union friendly"?
9. What is so special about the Dexter's home where Mary Kracha works? How does the Dexter's house come up in a conversation between Mike and Mary? Ultimately, what happens to Mike and Mary's relationship?
10. What reason does George give Zuska for why he walked from New York to Pennsylvania after he arrived in America? Give two possible reasons for his dishonesty.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)