|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the workers evicted from their homes?
(a) They refuse to accept the company's work terms.
(b) They have no money to pay rent.
(c) They have been arrested for misconduct.
(d) The houses are deemed unsafe.
2. Why does George have to walk from New York to Pennsylvania?
(a) He is robbed.
(b) He loses the money by gambling.
(c) He gives most of his money to a fellow immigrant.
(d) He spends most of his money on a party.
3. While George and his co-workers are working, what do they see over H furnace?
(a) A cloud of smoke.
(b) A funnel cloud.
(c) Blazing flames.
(d) A flag raised.
4. Who is on the ship that George boards in Bremen?
(a) Zuska and Franz Josef.
(b) Zuska and her husband.
(c) Zuska and her sister.
(d) Zuska and Dobie Dobrejcak.
5. Who is talking with George in Dorta's kitchen about leaving the steel mills?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who buys a house in Munhall Hollow?
2. Who takes over Elena's household duties?
3. According to George's conversation with Zuska, what is lost in a haystack?
4. Why does George go to jail?
5. How many children does Zuska have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George wish for after Elena's death, and whom does he consult about the situation with his feelings? What is George's half-hearted gesture at being penitent?
2. Who does George tell about Zuska? What is one explanation for his sharing with another person information about Zuska?
3. What reason does George give Zuska for why he walked from New York to Pennsylvania after he arrived in America? Give two possible reasons for his dishonesty.
4. In the summer following his marriage to Zuska, what happens to George financially? How does George react to his financial situation? How does George's reaction affect his relationship with Zuska?
5. What is George Kracha hoping to leave behind when he leaves Hungary for America in 1881?
6. What does George know about the plight of some immigrants when they arrive in America? Who is already in America to help George avoid similar problems?
7. What two important events happen during November, 1903 to Mike? Why is he becoming increasingly frustrated during the winter of 1903?
8. What happens when Zuska walks into George's butcher shop? What does George do while Zuska is there that foreshadows a possible problem for his business?
9. Where is Andrej now working since moving to Homestead? What happens when George, Andrej, and Andrej's foreman meet to talk about a job for George?
10. Who does George meet while boarding the ship to America? Explain the irony between George's meeting and the warning that Andrej gives him about immigrants being robbed once they arrive in America.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)