|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does George do during the summer to provide food for his family?
(a) He builds furniture.
(b) He works as a delivery man for an ice company.
(c) He takes a second job in a grocery store.
(d) He farms.
2. Who buys a house in Munhall Hollow?
3. What does Andrej place in his foreman's pocket at the saloon?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Three dollars.
(c) Twenty dollars.
(d) One dollar.
4. Who applies for citizenship as soon as he becomes of age?
5. Who tells Zuska why George had to walk to New York after arriving in America?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does George help Zuska?
2. Who is Borka?
3. How much does Dobrejcak earn an hour?
4. In what year does George buy his new business?
5. What happens to Joe after he is taken to Pittsburgh?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 16, it is noted that George "has always been technically faithful to Elena." Explain.
2. Where do George and Elena move to after the trouble in Homestead? What is a typical work day at the mill?
3. What is so special about the Dexter's home where Mary Kracha works? How does the Dexter's house come up in a conversation between Mike and Mary? Ultimately, what happens to Mike and Mary's relationship?
4. What reason does George give Zuska for why he walked from New York to Pennsylvania after he arrived in America? Give two possible reasons for his dishonesty.
5. What does Dubik's death cause George to consider doing about work? What does Dorta tell him about Joe's thoughts on working in the mills? What is a possible explanation for George listening intently to Dorta?
6. Who confronts George in front of Elena about his relationship with Zuska? How does Elena react? How does George react? How does he "escape" reality?
7. What happens in Homestead when it is time for the union's contract negotiations to begin at the steel mill? What happens two days before the end of the current contract at the mill?
8. Where is Andrej now working since moving to Homestead? What happens when George, Andrej, and Andrej's foreman meet to talk about a job for George?
9. What major corporation is formed when Carnegie sells his steel plants to J.P. Morgan? Is this corporation "union friendly"?
10. Who does George meet while boarding the ship to America? Explain the irony between George's meeting and the warning that Andrej gives him about immigrants being robbed once they arrive in America.
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)