|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children does Zuska have?
2. Who marries Steve Radilla?
3. How much does Dobrejcak earn an hour?
(a) Twenty-five cents.
(b) One dollar.
(c) Fourteen cents.
(d) Two dollars.
4. What kind of business is George thinking about opening?
(a) A construction company.
(b) A butcher shop.
(c) A brokerage.
(d) A grocery store.
5. According to the author, what is the birthright of a Slovak peasant?
(a) Freedom to worship.
(b) A job and house.
(c) Endless poverty and oppression.
(d) A paycheck and family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who receives an apology from Elena?
2. Where is George Kracha bound for in America?
3. On what day of the week does the United States declare war against Spain?
4. Who is buried in the Irish cemetery after an elaborate funeral?
5. Who does George leave behind in his homeland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does George explain having no money on his arrival to his sister Francka and her husband?
2. What business is George considering buying? What are his plans for the shop? Is his business plan logical? What could be a possible obstacle to George being successful?
3. Who does George meet while boarding the ship to America? Explain the irony between George's meeting and the warning that Andrej gives him about immigrants being robbed once they arrive in America.
4. Who does George visit immediately after receiving his first paycheck? What transpires at the meeting?
5. What is George Kracha hoping to leave behind when he leaves Hungary for America in 1881?
6. Where do George and Elena move to after the trouble in Homestead? What is a typical work day at the mill?
7. What happens in Homestead when it is time for the union's contract negotiations to begin at the steel mill? What happens two days before the end of the current contract at the mill?
8. Explain how George's relationship with Zuska affect his business with his customers. Give another reason, aside from his customers, that George's business is probably affected by his relationship.
9. How is Elena's funeral contradictory to her lifestyle? Explain why George might have chosen an elaborate funeral for Elena.
10. Why does George feel vindicated for not becoming an American citizen so that he can vote? What does George tell Mike about who runs America?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)