|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Mike and Mary decide about their boarding business?
(a) To make no changes.
(b) To end the business.
(c) To take in more boarders.
(d) To raise the rent.
2. What is provided to the workers by the steel mill on election day?
(a) Free lunches.
(b) Time off to vote.
(c) Campaign handouts.
(d) Sample ballots.
3. What does Mike expect to happen after he votes?
(a) Mike expects to get more work hours from the mill.
(b) Mike expects to be fired.
(c) Mike expects to be treated better by the mill.
(d) Mike expects to be ridiculed by his co-workers.
4. In Part 4, Chapter 7, what do mill workers want in regards to their union?
(a) Union recognition.
(b) Shorter work hours.
(c) Higher pay.
(d) Lower fees.
5. What incident in Pittsburgh upsets Dobie?
(a) Striking lodges are labeled as Socialistic.
(b) Members' names of striking lodges are blacklisted.
(c) Members of a striking lodge are arrested for disturbing the peace.
(d) Striking lodges are expelled from the union.
6. Who visits Mary and Mike in the spring?
(b) Joe Perovsky.
(d) Paul Caudle.
7. Where does Dobie go after leaving Detroit?
(b) New York.
(d) Grand Rapids.
8. Who is diagnosed with consumption?
(c) Mary and Pauline.
9. How many boarders live with Mike and Mary?
10. What plan does Mary have to help with finances?
(a) To take out a loan at the bank.
(b) To look for a job herself.
(c) For Mike to find a full time job.
(d) To move to a larger house and take in boarders.
11. Who objects to Dobie's time being spent on a legitimate union?
12. Who suggests that Mary should take in boarders to earn money?
13. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, who does Mike plan on meeting later for a drink?
14. Why is Dobie against company unions?
(a) He is not allowed to vote in their union elections.
(b) He thinks that they are only political machines.
(c) He feels that they prevent legitimate worker representation.
(d) He is against their violent tactics.
15. Who forms the Committee for Industrial Organization?
(a) John Hagerty.
(c) Harry F. Burke.
(d) John I. Lewis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets a job selling papers two years after Mike's death?
2. What purchase puts Dobie and Julie back in debt?
3. With how many children has Mike left Mary?
4. Who is Agnes?
5. How does George's death affect Dobie and Julie's financial situation?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)