|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is provided to the workers by the steel mill on election day?
(a) Campaign handouts.
(b) Sample ballots.
(c) Time off to vote.
(d) Free lunches.
2. What does the steel mill remind workers of on election day?
(a) Who owns the houses where the workers live.
(b) Who controls the number of work hours.
(c) Where the workers get their wages from.
(d) Who runs the town's economy.
3. Who objects to Dobie's time being spent on a legitimate union?
4. What makes Mike and Mary happy about their boarding business decision?
(a) Mary does not have to do all the work.
(b) They are happy to be alone.
(c) They are making more money.
(d) They have to deal with only four boarders.
5. What plan does Mary have to help with finances?
(a) For Mike to find a full time job.
(b) To take out a loan at the bank.
(c) To move to a larger house and take in boarders.
(d) To look for a job herself.
6. How does Dobie learn that there will be no steel mill strike?
(a) By a call from Flack.
(b) By the newspaper.
(c) From his neighbor.
(d) By a radio broadcast.
7. What do Mike and Mary decide about their boarding business?
(a) To take in more boarders.
(b) To raise the rent.
(c) To make no changes.
(d) To end the business.
8. Where does Dobie go after leaving Detroit?
(c) Grand Rapids.
(d) New York.
9. What is the steel mill indicating to workers during mid-term elections?
(a) Workers should vote union.
(b) Workers should not vote.
(c) How workers should vote.
(d) That unions won't be tolerated.
10. Who takes family pictures before Mikie leaves to catch a train back to New York?
11. Who is Mary baking a birthday cake for in Part 1, Chapter 5?
12. As Part 4, Chapter 1 begins, what character is now known as Dobie?
13. How does George's death affect Dobie and Julie's financial situation?
(a) They will miss his pension.
(b) They will inherit George's real estate.
(c) They can save more money.
(d) It won't be affected.
14. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, who gives Mary lessons about running a boarding house?
15. Why is Agnes unsure of receiving her inheritance from Mary?
(a) The local bank is liquidating.
(b) New laws prevent the money from being disbursed.
(c) Dobie is contesting Mary's will.
(d) The money is in an irrevocable trust.
Short Answer Questions
1. What household item would Julie like to purchase next?
2. Why is Dobie against company unions?
3. According to Mikie, what could threaten Dobie's job?
4. What does Mary do within one month of Mike's death?
5. Who visits Mary and Mike in the spring?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)