|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are some of the company's workers fired during the election year?
(a) The workers try to organize a union.
(b) The workers won't follow the company's voting directives.
(c) The workers strike.
(d) The workers vote to go non-union.
2. Where does Dobie go after leaving Detroit?
(a) Grand Rapids.
(c) New York.
3. Who is Mary baking a birthday cake for in Part 1, Chapter 5?
4. Who is in the meeting with management for Dobie's mill?
5. Who takes family pictures before Mikie leaves to catch a train back to New York?
6. What is the purpose of the C.I.O.?
(a) Finances union activities.
(b) Mediates with company executives.
(c) Organized industrial unions.
(d) Organizes strikes for workers.
7. Who receives insurance money from Mary's death?
(a) Dobie and Mikie.
(b) Dobie and Agnes.
(d) Dobie and Anna.
8. What purchase puts Dobie and Julie back in debt?
(a) A washing machine.
(b) A refrigerator.
(c) A sewing machine.
(d) A television.
9. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to union membership?
(a) Union membership is increasing.
(b) Union membership is decreasing.
(c) Union membership is neither increasing or decreasing.
(d) Union membership is abolished.
10. How does George's death affect Dobie and Julie's financial situation?
(a) They will miss his pension.
(b) It won't be affected.
(c) They can save more money.
(d) They will inherit George's real estate.
11. How many boarders live with Mike and Mary?
12. Who suggests that Mary should take in boarders to earn money?
13. Who gets a job selling papers two years after Mike's death?
14. What household item would Julie like to purchase next?
(a) A refrigerator.
(b) A stove.
(c) A washing machine.
(d) A sewing machine.
15. Who is Tighe?
(a) A company man.
(b) A mill worker.
(c) A local politician.
(d) A union leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dobie learn that there will be no steel mill strike?
2. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, who gives Mary lessons about running a boarding house?
3. How old is Mary in this section?
4. How much money does Mary receive from the accident compensation plan?
5. What position is Dobie elected to in the new union?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)