|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are some of the company's workers fired during the election year?
(a) The workers try to organize a union.
(b) The workers won't follow the company's voting directives.
(c) The workers strike.
(d) The workers vote to go non-union.
2. Who suggests that Mary should take in boarders to earn money?
3. What plan does Mary have to help with finances?
(a) To move to a larger house and take in boarders.
(b) To look for a job herself.
(c) To take out a loan at the bank.
(d) For Mike to find a full time job.
4. In Part 4, Chapter 7, what do mill workers want in regards to their union?
(a) Lower fees.
(b) Union recognition.
(c) Shorter work hours.
(d) Higher pay.
5. Who does management finally agree to meet with after the rank-and-file workers are ignored?
(a) Senate committees.
(b) Workers selected by management.
(c) Bargaining units.
(d) Wage and hour administrators.
6. What is the purpose of the C.I.O.?
(a) Organized industrial unions.
(b) Finances union activities.
(c) Organizes strikes for workers.
(d) Mediates with company executives.
7. How old is Mary in this section?
8. Who is Tighe?
(a) A mill worker.
(b) A union leader.
(c) A local politician.
(d) A company man.
9. Who is Mary baking a birthday cake for in Part 1, Chapter 5?
10. What does Mary do within one month of Mike's death?
(a) She finds a job.
(b) She moves in with her father.
(c) She takes in a boarder.
(d) She moves to two rooms.
11. Who receives insurance money from Mary's death?
(b) Dobie and Anna.
(c) Dobie and Agnes.
(d) Dobie and Mikie.
12. Who visits Mary and Mike in the spring?
(a) Paul Caudle.
(d) Joe Perovsky.
13. Who suggests that Mary should remarry soon?
14. Who joins George on his visit to Dorta's?
(c) Dobie and Julie.
15. What political party does Mike's candidate represent?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mike after the election?
2. How long does Dobie work in Detroit?
3. When George comes to live with Mary in Munhall Hollow, how much rent does he pay?
4. What household item would Julie like to purchase next?
5. Why is Agnes unsure of receiving her inheritance from Mary?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)