|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to George that awakens Dobie and Julie in the middle of the night?
(a) George suffers a heart attack.
(b) George has another stroke.
(c) George is sleepwalking.
(d) George wanders away from the house.
2. In Part 4, Chapter 7, what do mill workers want in regards to their union?
(a) Higher pay.
(b) Shorter work hours.
(c) Union recognition.
(d) Lower fees.
3. Who watches Mary's children when Mary goes out to work?
4. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, who does Mike plan on meeting later for a drink?
5. Who is Mary baking a birthday cake for in Part 1, Chapter 5?
6. Who gets a job selling papers two years after Mike's death?
7. Who owns the hotel where Dobie lives?
(b) Joe Petrovsky.
(c) Francka and Joseph.
(d) Anna and her husband.
8. What does Mary do within one month of Mike's death?
(a) She takes in a boarder.
(b) She finds a job.
(c) She moves to two rooms.
(d) She moves in with her father.
9. What are Mike and Mary missing at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10?
(a) The mill paycheck.
(b) Their families.
(c) Their friends in Braddock.
(d) The money from the boarding business.
10. How long does Dobie work in Detroit?
(a) Five years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Three years.
11. Why are some of the company's workers fired during the election year?
(a) The workers won't follow the company's voting directives.
(b) The workers try to organize a union.
(c) The workers strike.
(d) The workers vote to go non-union.
12. Why does George collect accident compensation?
(a) George has a car accident.
(b) George is run over by a car.
(c) George fractures his arm.
(d) George breaks his leg.
13. What does Mike expect to happen after he votes?
(a) Mike expects to get more work hours from the mill.
(b) Mike expects to be ridiculed by his co-workers.
(c) Mike expects to be fired.
(d) Mike expects to be treated better by the mill.
14. What plan does Mary have to help with finances?
(a) To look for a job herself.
(b) To move to a larger house and take in boarders.
(c) To take out a loan at the bank.
(d) For Mike to find a full time job.
15. How much money does Mary receive from the accident compensation plan?
(a) Three hundred dollars.
(b) Five hundred dollars.
(c) One thousand dollars.
(d) Thirteen hundred dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Superintendent of the mill?
2. Who objects to Dobie's time being spent on a legitimate union?
3. According to Dobie, which item needs to be purchased next?
4. How does Dobie support himself during the layoffs?
5. How old is Mary in this section?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)