|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the Superintendent of the mill?
2. Who is Agnes?
(a) A boarder.
(b) Mike and Mary's daughter.
(c) Mike's co-worker.
(d) Mary's best friend.
3. What is the steel mill indicating to workers during mid-term elections?
(a) Workers should not vote.
(b) That unions won't be tolerated.
(c) Workers should vote union.
(d) How workers should vote.
4. Where does Dobie go after leaving Detroit?
(b) New York.
(c) Grand Rapids.
5. Why is Dobie against company unions?
(a) He thinks that they are only political machines.
(b) He is not allowed to vote in their union elections.
(c) He feels that they prevent legitimate worker representation.
(d) He is against their violent tactics.
6. For what party does Mike vote in the election?
7. What does Mike expect to happen after he votes?
(a) Mike expects to be ridiculed by his co-workers.
(b) Mike expects to be treated better by the mill.
(c) Mike expects to get more work hours from the mill.
(d) Mike expects to be fired.
8. What do Mike and Mary decide about their boarding business?
(a) To make no changes.
(b) To raise the rent.
(c) To end the business.
(d) To take in more boarders.
9. According to Dobie, which item needs to be purchased next?
(a) A stove.
(b) A refrigerator.
(c) A television.
(d) A washing machine.
10. How much money does Mary receive from the accident compensation plan?
(a) One thousand dollars.
(b) Thirteen hundred dollars.
(c) Three hundred dollars.
(d) Five hundred dollars.
11. What happens to Mike after the election?
(a) He receives his usual pay.
(b) His is scheduled full time at the mill.
(c) He is beaten up by a co-worker.
(d) He is fired.
12. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to union membership?
(a) Union membership is decreasing.
(b) Union membership is neither increasing or decreasing.
(c) Union membership is increasing.
(d) Union membership is abolished.
13. What are Mike and Mary missing at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10?
(a) Their families.
(b) The money from the boarding business.
(c) The mill paycheck.
(d) Their friends in Braddock.
14. What does the steel mill remind workers of on election day?
(a) Who controls the number of work hours.
(b) Who owns the houses where the workers live.
(c) Who runs the town's economy.
(d) Where the workers get their wages from.
15. When George comes to live with Mary in Munhall Hollow, how much rent does he pay?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) Twenty dollars.
(c) Thirty dollars.
(d) Ten dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Julie tell Dobie after George's funeral?
2. What position is Dobie elected to in the new union?
3. As Part 4, Chapter 1 begins, what character is now known as Dobie?
4. Who does Dobie pick up at the train station for George's funeral?
5. What do some of the men do when they lose their jobs?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)