|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does George collect accident compensation?
(a) George fractures his arm.
(b) George breaks his leg.
(c) George is run over by a car.
(d) George has a car accident.
2. What is the purpose of the C.I.O.?
(a) Mediates with company executives.
(b) Finances union activities.
(c) Organized industrial unions.
(d) Organizes strikes for workers.
3. What is provided to the workers by the steel mill on election day?
(a) Campaign handouts.
(b) Time off to vote.
(c) Sample ballots.
(d) Free lunches.
4. Who does management finally agree to meet with after the rank-and-file workers are ignored?
(a) Workers selected by management.
(b) Wage and hour administrators.
(c) Bargaining units.
(d) Senate committees.
5. How many boarders live with Mike and Mary?
6. Who objects to Dobie's time being spent on a legitimate union?
7. What is Dobie discussing with a man named Stever from Uniontown?
(b) The worker unions.
(c) The economy.
(d) The company unions.
8. According to Dobie, which item needs to be purchased next?
(a) A television.
(b) A refrigerator.
(c) A stove.
(d) A washing machine.
9. What event is causing economic conditions to worsen in the factories and mills?
(a) The Great Depression.
(b) Fallout from World War I.
(d) The Spoils System.
10. According to Mikie, what could threaten Dobie's job?
(d) World War II.
11. Who takes family pictures before Mikie leaves to catch a train back to New York?
12. As Part 4, Chapter 1 begins, what character is now known as Dobie?
13. Which candidate is Mike's choice in the election?
(a) Harvey Drummond.
(b) Harry Bodnar.
(c) Eugene Debs.
(d) Andrew Carnegie.
14. Who is the Superintendent of the mill?
15. What does Mary do within one month of Mike's death?
(a) She moves to two rooms.
(b) She takes in a boarder.
(c) She moves in with her father.
(d) She finds a job.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 4, Chapter 11, what is happening to union membership?
2. Why is Dobie against company unions?
3. Who visits Mary and Mike in the spring?
4. What does Mike expect to happen after he votes?
5. What does Julie tell Dobie after George's funeral?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)