|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do some of the men do when they lose their jobs?
(a) They beg in the streets.
(b) They move their families to another town.
(c) They join the military.
(d) They unite and protest in the streets.
2. What company is Dobie's first employer in Detroit?
(a) U.S. Steel.
(b) Ford Motor.
(d) The Chrysler Plant.
3. With how many children has Mike left Mary?
4. Who is diagnosed with consumption?
(b) Mary and Pauline.
5. What makes Mike and Mary happy about their boarding business decision?
(a) They are making more money.
(b) They have to deal with only four boarders.
(c) Mary does not have to do all the work.
(d) They are happy to be alone.
6. As Part 4, Chapter 1 begins, what character is now known as Dobie?
7. How does George's death affect Dobie and Julie's financial situation?
(a) They will inherit George's real estate.
(b) They can save more money.
(c) They will miss his pension.
(d) It won't be affected.
8. What is the steel mill indicating to workers during mid-term elections?
(a) Workers should not vote.
(b) That unions won't be tolerated.
(c) Workers should vote union.
(d) How workers should vote.
9. At the end of Part 2, Chapter 10, where are Mike and Mary living?
(a) In New York.
(b) In White Haven.
(c) In Braddock.
(d) In Washington.
10. Why are some of the company's workers fired during the election year?
(a) The workers won't follow the company's voting directives.
(b) The workers try to organize a union.
(c) The workers vote to go non-union.
(d) The workers strike.
11. Who dies at the end of Part 3, Chapter 6?
12. What incident in Pittsburgh upsets Dobie?
(a) Striking lodges are expelled from the union.
(b) Members' names of striking lodges are blacklisted.
(c) Members of a striking lodge are arrested for disturbing the peace.
(d) Striking lodges are labeled as Socialistic.
13. Who suggests that Mary should take in boarders to earn money?
14. What happens to Mike after the election?
(a) He receives his usual pay.
(b) His is scheduled full time at the mill.
(c) He is fired.
(d) He is beaten up by a co-worker.
15. Who gets a job selling papers two years after Mike's death?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dobie against company unions?
2. What do Mike and Mary decide about their boarding business?
3. At the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 1, what year is it?
4. Who is Mary baking a birthday cake for in Part 1, Chapter 5?
5. Why are people standing around Dobie and Julie's house when they arrive home after shopping?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)