|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What political party does Mike's candidate represent?
2. What is the steel mill indicating to workers during mid-term elections?
(a) That unions won't be tolerated.
(b) Workers should vote union.
(c) How workers should vote.
(d) Workers should not vote.
3. What incident in Pittsburgh upsets Dobie?
(a) Members' names of striking lodges are blacklisted.
(b) Members of a striking lodge are arrested for disturbing the peace.
(c) Striking lodges are labeled as Socialistic.
(d) Striking lodges are expelled from the union.
4. Who does management finally agree to meet with after the rank-and-file workers are ignored?
(a) Senate committees.
(b) Bargaining units.
(c) Wage and hour administrators.
(d) Workers selected by management.
5. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 6, who gives Mary lessons about running a boarding house?
6. What are Mike and Mary missing at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10?
(a) Their families.
(b) Their friends in Braddock.
(c) The mill paycheck.
(d) The money from the boarding business.
7. What makes Mike and Mary happy about their boarding business decision?
(a) They are making more money.
(b) They are happy to be alone.
(c) Mary does not have to do all the work.
(d) They have to deal with only four boarders.
8. In what state are Mike and Mary's finances at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10?
(a) They are able to save money every week.
(b) They are using their savings.
(c) They are able to buy stock.
(d) They are able to invest in other property.
9. What plan does Mary have to help with finances?
(a) To move to a larger house and take in boarders.
(b) To look for a job herself.
(c) For Mike to find a full time job.
(d) To take out a loan at the bank.
10. Who visits Mary and Mike in the spring?
(b) Joe Perovsky.
(c) Paul Caudle.
11. Who suggests that Mary should take in boarders to earn money?
12. Why are some of the company's workers fired during the election year?
(a) The workers won't follow the company's voting directives.
(b) The workers try to organize a union.
(c) The workers vote to go non-union.
(d) The workers strike.
13. Who forms the Committee for Industrial Organization?
(a) John Hagerty.
(c) Harry F. Burke.
(d) John I. Lewis.
14. In Part 4, Chapter 7, what do mill workers want in regards to their union?
(a) Shorter work hours.
(b) Union recognition.
(c) Lower fees.
(d) Higher pay.
15. What does Mike expect to happen after he votes?
(a) Mike expects to get more work hours from the mill.
(b) Mike expects to be treated better by the mill.
(c) Mike expects to be fired.
(d) Mike expects to be ridiculed by his co-workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. When George comes to live with Mary in Munhall Hollow, how much rent does he pay?
2. Who is Mary baking a birthday cake for in Part 1, Chapter 5?
3. How does Dobie learn that there will be no steel mill strike?
4. Who does Dobie pick up at the train station for George's funeral?
5. Where does Dobie go after leaving Detroit?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)