|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who suggests that Mary should remarry soon?
2. How does George's death affect Dobie and Julie's financial situation?
(a) It won't be affected.
(b) They will miss his pension.
(c) They will inherit George's real estate.
(d) They can save more money.
3. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 11, who does Mike plan on meeting later for a drink?
4. In Part 4, Chapter 7, what do mill workers want in regards to their union?
(a) Union recognition.
(b) Higher pay.
(c) Lower fees.
(d) Shorter work hours.
5. At the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 1, what year is it?
6. Why are people standing around Dobie and Julie's house when they arrive home after shopping?
(a) George is drunk in the front yard.
(b) A union sign is in the front yard.
(c) George has collapsed.
(d) Graffiti has been written on their house.
7. Who suggests that Mary should take in boarders to earn money?
8. Where does Dobie go after leaving Detroit?
(b) New York.
(c) Grand Rapids.
9. What plan does Mary have to help with finances?
(a) To move to a larger house and take in boarders.
(b) To look for a job herself.
(c) For Mike to find a full time job.
(d) To take out a loan at the bank.
10. Who is in the meeting with management for Dobie's mill?
11. What happens to George that awakens Dobie and Julie in the middle of the night?
(a) George wanders away from the house.
(b) George has another stroke.
(c) George is sleepwalking.
(d) George suffers a heart attack.
12. What incident in Pittsburgh upsets Dobie?
(a) Members of a striking lodge are arrested for disturbing the peace.
(b) Striking lodges are expelled from the union.
(c) Members' names of striking lodges are blacklisted.
(d) Striking lodges are labeled as Socialistic.
13. Who owns the hotel where Dobie lives?
(b) Joe Petrovsky.
(c) Anna and her husband.
(d) Francka and Joseph.
14. What do some of the men do when they lose their jobs?
(a) They beg in the streets.
(b) They join the military.
(c) They unite and protest in the streets.
(d) They move their families to another town.
15. What does Julie tell Dobie after George's funeral?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She needs to visit her sister.
(c) She needs to get a job.
(d) She wants to move to New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position is Dobie elected to in the new union?
2. Who forms the Committee for Industrial Organization?
3. Who visits Mary and Mike in the spring?
4. Why is Dobie against company unions?
5. In what state are Mike and Mary's finances at the end of Part 2, Chapter 10?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)