|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What incident in Pittsburgh upsets Dobie?
(a) Striking lodges are labeled as Socialistic.
(b) Striking lodges are expelled from the union.
(c) Members of a striking lodge are arrested for disturbing the peace.
(d) Members' names of striking lodges are blacklisted.
2. Where does Dobie go after leaving Detroit?
(b) New York.
(c) Grand Rapids.
3. Who does Dobie pick up at the train station for George's funeral?
4. In Part 4, Chapter 7, what do mill workers want in regards to their union?
(a) Higher pay.
(b) Shorter work hours.
(c) Union recognition.
(d) Lower fees.
5. Who takes family pictures before Mikie leaves to catch a train back to New York?
6. What purchase puts Dobie and Julie back in debt?
(a) A television.
(b) A refrigerator.
(c) A washing machine.
(d) A sewing machine.
7. What plan does Mary have to help with finances?
(a) To look for a job herself.
(b) For Mike to find a full time job.
(c) To move to a larger house and take in boarders.
(d) To take out a loan at the bank.
8. What do Mike and Mary decide about their boarding business?
(a) To take in more boarders.
(b) To raise the rent.
(c) To end the business.
(d) To make no changes.
9. Who objects to Dobie's time being spent on a legitimate union?
10. Who breaks the news to Mary about Mike's death?
11. What is the steel mill indicating to workers during mid-term elections?
(a) How workers should vote.
(b) That unions won't be tolerated.
(c) Workers should vote union.
(d) Workers should not vote.
12. Who is diagnosed with consumption?
(c) Mary and Pauline.
13. Which candidate is Mike's choice in the election?
(a) Harvey Drummond.
(b) Eugene Debs.
(c) Andrew Carnegie.
(d) Harry Bodnar.
14. What political party does Mike's candidate represent?
15. Who is Tighe?
(a) A union leader.
(b) A mill worker.
(c) A local politician.
(d) A company man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who joins George on his visit to Dorta's?
2. What is provided to the workers by the steel mill on election day?
3. Who visits Mary and Mike in the spring?
4. What position is Dobie elected to in the new union?
5. How does Dobie support himself during the layoffs?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)