|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 11, what kind of transportation is George using to go to work?
2. Who does Mike Dobrejcak marry?
3. Who moves to a new brick house on River Street?
(a) Dorta and Joe.
(b) Mike and Zuska.
(c) George and Elena.
(d) Zuska and Mullhall.
4. How many days does it take George to reach America?
5. What happens to Joe after he is taken to Pittsburgh?
(a) He is murdered.
(b) He is beaten up by thugs.
(c) He is accused of a crime.
(d) He dies.
6. Why does George show little interest in politics?
(a) He defected to this country.
(b) He cannot read.
(c) He is a poor man.
(d) He cannot vote.
7. Who takes over Elena's household duties?
8. Who does George talk to about his financial situation?
(b) A banker.
9. Who tells George to talk to local businessmen about selling his lots?
(a) A customer.
(c) A banker.
10. Who is John Joseph?
(a) Dorta's son.
(b) Francka's son.
(c) Borka's boarder.
(d) Mike's son.
11. On what day of the week does the United States declare war against Spain?
12. Who is in control of the steel mills immediately following the arrival of a General with troops?
(a) The union men.
(b) Pinkerton guards.
13. What happens at the steel mill that worries George?
(a) The union disbands.
(b) His hours are cut.
(c) There is talk of a strike.
(d) There is a fire.
14. Who votes for the first time in Part 2, Chapter 5?
15. Why are the workers evicted from their homes?
(a) They have been arrested for misconduct.
(b) They refuse to accept the company's work terms.
(c) The houses are deemed unsafe.
(d) They have no money to pay rent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George use all of his money for in this section?
2. What does George lose in this section?
3. Who marries Steve Radilla?
4. How many shifts are there for workers at the steel mills?
5. Who invites George to visit after he asks for an invitation?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)