|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Andy?
(a) George's brother.
(b) George's son.
(c) Francka's son.
(d) Borka's son.
2. What does Andrej place in his foreman's pocket at the saloon?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Twenty dollars.
(c) Three dollars.
(d) One dollar.
3. Why are the workers evicted from their homes?
(a) The houses are deemed unsafe.
(b) They have no money to pay rent.
(c) They have been arrested for misconduct.
(d) They refuse to accept the company's work terms.
4. What does George use all of his money for in this section?
(a) Elena's medical bills.
(b) Elena's funeral.
(c) Zuska's rent.
(d) The butcher shop.
5. Who receives an apology from Elena?
6. What job does George's brother-in-law have in America?
(a) On a pipeline.
(b) In a tire factory.
(c) On a railroad section gang.
(d) In a clothing factory.
7. Who is Borka?
(a) Elena's sister.
(b) George's sister.
(c) Andrej's sister.
(d) Francka's mother.
8. While George and his co-workers are working, what do they see over H furnace?
(a) Blazing flames.
(b) A funnel cloud.
(c) A flag raised.
(d) A cloud of smoke.
9. On what day does Zuska get married?
10. Who visits George right after he is released from jail?
11. What does George lose in this section?
(a) The lots.
(b) His business.
(c) His lots, his house, and the business.
(d) His house and business.
12. What happens at the steel mill that worries George?
(a) The union disbands.
(b) There is a fire.
(c) His hours are cut.
(d) There is talk of a strike.
13. According to Part 1, Chapter 1, what usually happens to immigrants when they arrive in America?
(a) They are met with suspicion.
(b) They are welcomed.
(c) They are ridiculed.
(d) They are robbed, beaten, and killed.
14. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, what year is it?
15. Why does George go to jail?
(a) He gets into a fight at Wold Tavern.
(b) He gets drunk and beats Zuska.
(c) He steals money from Zuska.
(d) He slaps a customer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who applies for citizenship as soon as he becomes of age?
2. At first, how many rooms do George and Elena rent?
3. How much money does the bank need for the principal on George's mortgage?
4. Who surrenders after the trouble at the steel mills?
5. What investment does George make with his spare cash?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)