|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much older are George and Zuska when their paths cross again?
(a) Fifteen years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Twenty years.
2. Who closes the steel mill?
3. What is heard in the streets after the mill closes?
(a) Newspaper criers.
(c) Church bells.
4. How much money does the bank need for the principal on George's mortgage?
(a) Five thousand dollars.
(b) One thousand dollars.
(c) Five hundred dollars.
(d) Seven hundred dollars.
5. What produces pollution in Homestead?
(a) A stagnant river.
(c) The steel mills.
(d) The railroad.
6. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, what year is it?
7. According to the author, what is the birthright of a Slovak peasant?
(a) A job and house.
(b) A paycheck and family.
(c) Endless poverty and oppression.
(d) Freedom to worship.
8. Who is talking with George in Dorta's kitchen about leaving the steel mills?
9. Who from George's past enters his shop one day?
10. Who is John Joseph?
(a) Dorta's son.
(b) Borka's boarder.
(c) Mike's son.
(d) Francka's son.
11. Who works in H furnace?
12. At first, how many rooms do George and Elena rent?
13. Who is Frick's partner and the owner of the steel mill?
14. On what day of the week does the United States declare war against Spain?
15. Who is Djuro?
(a) George's friend.
(b) George's brother-in-law.
(c) George's firstborn son.
(d) George's boss.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Mike Dobrejcak?
2. According to Part 1, Chapter 1, what usually happens to immigrants when they arrive in America?
3. Who is the author of Out of This Furnace?
4. What investment does George make with his spare cash?
5. Who confronts George about Zuska?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)