|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Dobrejcak been in America?
(a) Five years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Eleven years.
(d) One year.
2. Who surrenders after the trouble at the steel mills?
(c) Pinkerton guards.
(d) Union workers.
3. Who confronts George about Zuska?
4. Who is in control of the steel mills immediately following the arrival of a General with troops?
(b) Pinkerton guards.
(d) The union men.
5. According to George's conversation with Zuska, what is lost in a haystack?
(a) His immigrant papers.
(b) His green card.
(c) His mill identification card.
(d) His money.
6. Who is George Kracha?
(a) A second generation immigrant who narrates the story.
(b) The first American immigrant to defect.
(c) A first generation immigrant who comes to America.
(d) A third generation immigrant who comes to America.
7. Who does Francka make a comment about after the funeral?
8. How many days does it take George to reach America?
9. Who tells Zuska why George had to walk to New York after arriving in America?
10. What does Andrej place in his foreman's pocket at the saloon?
(a) Three dollars.
(b) Twenty dollars.
(c) One dollar.
(d) Five dollars.
11. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, what year is it?
12. What is heard in the streets after the mill closes?
(a) Church bells.
(c) Newspaper criers.
13. How much money does the bank need for the principal on George's mortgage?
(a) Five thousand dollars.
(b) One thousand dollars.
(c) Five hundred dollars.
(d) Seven hundred dollars.
14. Who is the author of Out of This Furnace?
(a) Avery Siddons.
(b) John Grisham.
(c) Thomas Bell.
(d) William Keats.
15. Where is George Kracha bound for in America?
(c) New Jersey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does George leave behind in his homeland?
2. How many shifts are there for workers at the steel mills?
3. In what year does George Kracha come to America?
4. What effect is Zuska having on George after she reappears?
5. Why are the workers evicted from their homes?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)