|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes over Elena's household duties?
2. How does George help Zuska?
(a) He finds her another job.
(b) He finds her a larger place to live.
(c) He pays for her son's doctor.
(d) He gives her money to pay bills.
3. Why does George have to walk from New York to Pennsylvania?
(a) He is robbed.
(b) He spends most of his money on a party.
(c) He loses the money by gambling.
(d) He gives most of his money to a fellow immigrant.
4. Who tells Zuska why George had to walk to New York after arriving in America?
5. Who applies for citizenship as soon as he becomes of age?
6. According to George's conversation with Zuska, what is lost in a haystack?
(a) His green card.
(b) His mill identification card.
(c) His immigrant papers.
(d) His money.
7. Who is on the ship that George boards in Bremen?
(a) Zuska and Franz Josef.
(b) Zuska and Dobie Dobrejcak.
(c) Zuska and her sister.
(d) Zuska and her husband.
8. Who is George Kracha?
(a) The first American immigrant to defect.
(b) A first generation immigrant who comes to America.
(c) A second generation immigrant who narrates the story.
(d) A third generation immigrant who comes to America.
9. Who does George talk to about his financial situation?
(c) A banker.
10. What does the new corporation not tolerate?
(a) Ethnic workers.
(b) Ethnic violence.
(c) Non-union workers.
11. Who is the author of Out of This Furnace?
(a) William Keats.
(b) John Grisham.
(c) Avery Siddons.
(d) Thomas Bell.
12. Where does George secure a mill job after the union is broken?
(b) River City.
13. Who does Mike Dobrejcak marry?
14. How many shifts are there for workers at the steel mills?
15. Who is Djuro?
(a) George's brother-in-law.
(b) George's boss.
(c) George's friend.
(d) George's firstborn son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does George need to call a priest?
2. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 21, what does George regret about Elena?
3. In what year does George Kracha come to America?
4. Who votes for the first time in Part 2, Chapter 5?
5. Who tells George to talk to local businessmen about selling his lots?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)