|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is in control of the steel mills immediately following the arrival of a General with troops?
(a) The union men.
(b) Pinkerton guards.
2. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 21, what does George regret about Elena?
(a) George regrets that Elena came to America.
(b) George regrets that Elena is sick.
(c) George regrets marrying Elena.
(d) George regrets not treating Elena better.
3. Where does George secure a mill job after the union is broken?
(d) River City.
4. Why are the workers evicted from their homes?
(a) They have no money to pay rent.
(b) They have been arrested for misconduct.
(c) They refuse to accept the company's work terms.
(d) The houses are deemed unsafe.
5. Who is Djuro?
(a) George's boss.
(b) George's friend.
(c) George's brother-in-law.
(d) George's firstborn son.
6. According to George, who owns everything in the United States?
(a) Bankers and politicians.
(b) The natural born Americans.
(c) The politicians.
(d) Millionaires and trusts.
7. Why does George go to jail?
(a) He gets into a fight at Wold Tavern.
(b) He steals money from Zuska.
(c) He slaps a customer.
(d) He gets drunk and beats Zuska.
8. What produces pollution in Homestead?
(a) The railroad.
(b) A stagnant river.
(c) The steel mills.
9. What job does George's brother-in-law have in America?
(a) In a clothing factory.
(b) On a railroad section gang.
(c) On a pipeline.
(d) In a tire factory.
10. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, what year is it?
11. How many shifts are there for workers at the steel mills?
12. Who does Francka make a comment about after the funeral?
13. What does George do during the summer to provide food for his family?
(a) He takes a second job in a grocery store.
(b) He works as a delivery man for an ice company.
(c) He farms.
(d) He builds furniture.
14. Who rents a house to take in boarders?
15. Why does Mrs. Mihula live in Braddock?
(a) She has free rent in a mill house.
(b) Her sister lives there.
(c) She works at the mill.
(d) Her husband has a good job there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Spetz?
2. Who closes the steel mill?
3. How long after Elena's death does George wait to visit Zuska?
4. According to the author, what is the birthright of a Slovak peasant?
5. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 11, what does Joe tell George while they are on their way to work?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)