|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 11, what kind of transportation is George using to go to work?
2. How long does it take George to repay the loan for his trip to America?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) Three months.
3. Who is in control of the steel mills immediately following the arrival of a General with troops?
(a) Pinkerton guards.
(c) The union men.
4. Who buys a house in Munhall Hollow?
5. According to the author, what is the birthright of a Slovak peasant?
(a) A paycheck and family.
(b) A job and house.
(c) Freedom to worship.
(d) Endless poverty and oppression.
6. Where does George secure a mill job after the union is broken?
(a) River City.
7. As soon as George receives his first pay, what does he do?
(a) He quits his job.
(b) He visits Dobrejcaik.
(c) He gets drunk.
(d) He visits Dubik.
8. Who is Spetz?
(a) The owner of the Turner Hall Social Club.
(b) A Rabbi.
(c) A Hungarian Jewish butcher.
(d) A merchant.
9. What corporation is formed after the sale of the steel plants?
(a) U. S. Metals and Fittings.
(b) U. S. Steel Corporation.
(c) U. S. Foundry.
(d) U. S. Pipe and Fittings.
10. How many children does Zuska have?
11. Who tells Zuska why George had to walk to New York after arriving in America?
12. How much older are George and Zuska when their paths cross again?
(a) Fifteen years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
13. Who is Borka?
(a) George's sister.
(b) Francka's mother.
(c) Andrej's sister.
(d) Elena's sister.
14. Who is buried in the Irish cemetery after an elaborate funeral?
15. In what year does George buy his new business?
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect is Zuska having on George after she reappears?
2. From what country does George Kracha immigrate?
3. Who has "the decency to stay away" from the funeral?
4. Why does George go to jail?
5. Who visits George right after he is released from jail?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)