|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who works in H furnace?
2. Who does George visit to talk to about his regrets?
(b) A priest.
(d) A friend.
3. Who receives an apology from Elena?
4. Who from George's past enters his shop one day?
5. Why are the workers evicted from their homes?
(a) The houses are deemed unsafe.
(b) They refuse to accept the company's work terms.
(c) They have no money to pay rent.
(d) They have been arrested for misconduct.
6. Where is George Kracha bound for in America?
(d) New Jersey.
7. Who surrenders after the trouble at the steel mills?
(a) Pinkerton guards.
(c) Union workers.
8. Who takes over Elena's household duties?
9. Why does George go to jail?
(a) He slaps a customer.
(b) He gets drunk and beats Zuska.
(c) He gets into a fight at Wold Tavern.
(d) He steals money from Zuska.
10. Who meets George and Elena at the train in Homestead?
(b) Francka and Andrej.
11. Why does George have to walk from New York to Pennsylvania?
(a) He spends most of his money on a party.
(b) He is robbed.
(c) He loses the money by gambling.
(d) He gives most of his money to a fellow immigrant.
12. Which town does George arrive in after walking with only fifty cents in his pocket?
(a) Paramus, New Jersey.
(b) Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
(c) Rochester, New York.
(d) White Haven, Pennsylvania.
13. According to Zuska's sister, who will Zuska probably marry?
(a) George's brother.
(b) A boarder.
14. How long has Dobrejcak been in America?
(a) One year.
(b) Eleven years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Five years.
15. Who is Mike's younger brother?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Zuska's occupation ?
2. According to George's conversation with Zuska, what is lost in a haystack?
3. From what country does George Kracha immigrate?
4. Why has George always been faithful to his wife?
5. According to Part 1, Chapter 1, what usually happens to immigrants when they arrive in America?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)