|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who rents a house to take in boarders?
2. Who does Mike Dobrejcak marry?
3. Why does George have to walk from New York to Pennsylvania?
(a) He is robbed.
(b) He loses the money by gambling.
(c) He gives most of his money to a fellow immigrant.
(d) He spends most of his money on a party.
4. Who is talking with George in Dorta's kitchen about leaving the steel mills?
5. On what day of the week does the United States declare war against Spain?
6. According to Part 1, Chapter 1, what usually happens to immigrants when they arrive in America?
(a) They are met with suspicion.
(b) They are robbed, beaten, and killed.
(c) They are ridiculed.
(d) They are welcomed.
7. What is George's first main job in America?
(a) Maintaining the railroad.
(b) Building locomotives.
(c) Working in a steel mill.
(d) Maintaining factory equipment.
8. Who does Zuska tell when she finds out that she is pregnant?
9. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 11, what does Joe tell George while they are on their way to work?
(a) He is the new union leader.
(b) He and his family are moving to Cherry Alley.
(c) He is leaving the steel mill.
(d) He is buying a house in Braddock.
10. In what year does George Kracha come to America?
11. Who works in H furnace?
12. Who does Francka make a comment about after the funeral?
13. What does Andrej place in his foreman's pocket at the saloon?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Three dollars.
(c) One dollar.
(d) Twenty dollars.
14. Who does George visit to talk to about his regrets?
(a) A priest.
(b) A friend.
15. What is George's wife's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take George to repay the loan for his trip to America?
2. Why does George need to call a priest?
3. Who tells Zuska why George had to walk to New York after arriving in America?
4. Why does George show little interest in politics?
5. Who is buried in the Irish cemetery after an elaborate funeral?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)