|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Djuro?
(a) George's friend.
(b) George's brother-in-law.
(c) George's firstborn son.
(d) George's boss.
2. Why are the workers evicted from their homes?
(a) They have been arrested for misconduct.
(b) They refuse to accept the company's work terms.
(c) The houses are deemed unsafe.
(d) They have no money to pay rent.
3. As soon as George receives his first pay, what does he do?
(a) He visits Dubik.
(b) He gets drunk.
(c) He quits his job.
(d) He visits Dobrejcaik.
4. Who does George visit to talk to about his regrets?
(b) A friend.
(c) A priest.
5. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 11, what does Joe tell George while they are on their way to work?
(a) He is the new union leader.
(b) He is buying a house in Braddock.
(c) He is leaving the steel mill.
(d) He and his family are moving to Cherry Alley.
6. Who meets George and Elena at the train in Homestead?
(a) Francka and Andrej.
7. Why does Mrs. Mihula live in Braddock?
(a) She works at the mill.
(b) She has free rent in a mill house.
(c) Her husband has a good job there.
(d) Her sister lives there.
8. What is heard in the streets after the mill closes?
(b) Newspaper criers.
(d) Church bells.
9. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 1, what year is it?
10. How many days does it take George to reach America?
11. According to George, who owns everything in the United States?
(a) Bankers and politicians.
(b) Millionaires and trusts.
(c) The natural born Americans.
(d) The politicians.
12. Who invites George to visit after he asks for an invitation?
(c) Zuska's brother-in-law.
(d) Zuska's sister.
13. On what day of the week does the United States declare war against Spain?
14. What produces pollution in Homestead?
(a) The railroad.
(c) The steel mills.
(d) A stagnant river.
15. Why does George need to call a priest?
(a) Elena needs to talk to the priest about her marriage.
(b) George need information about a church member.
(c) Elena is dying.
(d) George wants to confess his infidelity.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take George to repay the loan for his trip to America?
2. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 11, what kind of transportation is George using to go to work?
3. What happens to Joe after he is taken to Pittsburgh?
4. What does George do during the summer to provide food for his family?
5. Who rents a house to take in boarders?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)