|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visits George right after he is released from jail?
2. How does George help Zuska?
(a) He finds her another job.
(b) He gives her money to pay bills.
(c) He finds her a larger place to live.
(d) He pays for her son's doctor.
3. From what country does George Kracha immigrate?
4. How much does Dobrejcak earn an hour?
(a) Two dollars.
(b) One dollar.
(c) Twenty-five cents.
(d) Fourteen cents.
5. Why does George show little interest in politics?
(a) He defected to this country.
(b) He cannot vote.
(c) He is a poor man.
(d) He cannot read.
6. Which town does George arrive in after walking with only fifty cents in his pocket?
(a) Paramus, New Jersey.
(b) Rochester, New York.
(c) White Haven, Pennsylvania.
(d) Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
7. What is Zuska's occupation ?
(a) Mill worker.
8. Who works in H furnace?
9. Why are the workers evicted from their homes?
(a) They refuse to accept the company's work terms.
(b) They have no money to pay rent.
(c) The houses are deemed unsafe.
(d) They have been arrested for misconduct.
10. How long after Elena's death does George wait to visit Zuska?
(a) Six months.
(b) One month.
(c) One week.
(d) One year.
11. According to Part 1, Chapter 1, what usually happens to immigrants when they arrive in America?
(a) They are met with suspicion.
(b) They are welcomed.
(c) They are robbed, beaten, and killed.
(d) They are ridiculed.
12. Who moves to a new brick house on River Street?
(a) Dorta and Joe.
(b) Mike and Zuska.
(c) Zuska and Mullhall.
(d) George and Elena.
13. According to George's conversation with Zuska, what is lost in a haystack?
(a) His green card.
(b) His immigrant papers.
(c) His mill identification card.
(d) His money.
14. According to the author, what is the birthright of a Slovak peasant?
(a) Endless poverty and oppression.
(b) A job and house.
(c) Freedom to worship.
(d) A paycheck and family.
15. What kind of business is George thinking about opening?
(a) A butcher shop.
(b) A grocery store.
(c) A construction company.
(d) A brokerage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is George Kracha bound for in America?
2. Who from George's past enters his shop one day?
3. What produces pollution in Homestead?
4. What does George use all of his money for in this section?
5. Who is the author of Out of This Furnace?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)