|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has "the decency to stay away" from the funeral?
2. Why has George always been faithful to his wife?
(a) He is deeply religious.
(b) He would lose customers in his business.
(c) An opportunity for infidelity has never arisen.
(d) He fears he would be deported.
3. Who visits George right after he is released from jail?
4. At first, how many rooms do George and Elena rent?
5. What happens at the steel mill that worries George?
(a) The union disbands.
(b) There is talk of a strike.
(c) His hours are cut.
(d) There is a fire.
6. To whom does Carnegie sell his steel plants?
(a) Paul Caudle.
(b) J.P. Morgan.
(c) Mike Dobrejcak.
(d) Victor Kracha.
7. How long after Elena's death does George wait to visit Zuska?
(a) One month.
(b) One week.
(c) One year.
(d) Six months.
8. What does George do during the summer to provide food for his family?
(a) He takes a second job in a grocery store.
(b) He farms.
(c) He works as a delivery man for an ice company.
(d) He builds furniture.
9. Why does George need to call a priest?
(a) George wants to confess his infidelity.
(b) Elena needs to talk to the priest about her marriage.
(c) Elena is dying.
(d) George need information about a church member.
10. On what day of the week does the United States declare war against Spain?
11. Why does George have to walk from New York to Pennsylvania?
(a) He gives most of his money to a fellow immigrant.
(b) He is robbed.
(c) He loses the money by gambling.
(d) He spends most of his money on a party.
12. Who is the author of Out of This Furnace?
(a) John Grisham.
(b) William Keats.
(c) Thomas Bell.
(d) Avery Siddons.
13. What is George's wife's name?
14. Who is in control of the steel mills immediately following the arrival of a General with troops?
(a) Pinkerton guards.
(d) The union men.
15. As soon as George receives his first pay, what does he do?
(a) He visits Dubik.
(b) He visits Dobrejcaik.
(c) He gets drunk.
(d) He quits his job.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what is the birthright of a Slovak peasant?
2. Where does Dobrejcak work?
3. According to George, who owns everything in the United States?
4. Why does George go to jail?
5. Who is Spetz?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)