|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who marries Steve Radilla?
2. According to George's conversation with Zuska, what is lost in a haystack?
(a) His money.
(b) His mill identification card.
(c) His green card.
(d) His immigrant papers.
3. How many shifts are there for workers at the steel mills?
4. According to George, who owns everything in the United States?
(a) The politicians.
(b) Millionaires and trusts.
(c) The natural born Americans.
(d) Bankers and politicians.
5. Where is George Kracha bound for in America?
(c) New Jersey.
6. How old is Mike Dobrejcak?
7. In what year does George buy his new business?
8. How many hours per day do the mill workers work?
9. Who is Borka?
(a) Andrej's sister.
(b) George's sister.
(c) Elena's sister.
(d) Francka's mother.
10. What is heard in the streets after the mill closes?
(a) Church bells.
(c) Newspaper criers.
11. How long has Dobrejcak been in America?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Eleven years.
(c) One year.
(d) Five years.
12. At the beginning of Part 1, Chapter 21, what does George regret about Elena?
(a) George regrets that Elena came to America.
(b) George regrets that Elena is sick.
(c) George regrets not treating Elena better.
(d) George regrets marrying Elena.
13. Who tells George to talk to local businessmen about selling his lots?
(a) A customer.
(c) A banker.
14. What happens at the steel mill that worries George?
(a) There is a fire.
(b) The union disbands.
(c) There is talk of a strike.
(d) His hours are cut.
15. What does George lose in this section?
(a) His business.
(b) His lots, his house, and the business.
(c) The lots.
(d) His house and business.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Zuska why George had to walk to New York after arriving in America?
2. Who rents a house to take in boarders?
3. Who receives an apology from Elena?
4. How much does Dobrejcak earn an hour?
5. Who is Spetz?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)