Part 1, Chapters 1-5
* Leaving his wife behind, George Kracha immigrates to America from Hungary.
* George meets a young couple on the ship and spends all of his money on a birthday party for the woman, who is named Zuska.
* After arriving in America without any money, George must walk from New York to Pennsylvania.
* George sends for his wife, Elena.
* George and Elena become parents of three daughters.
* The family moves to Homestead so George can work in the steel mills.
Part 1, Chapters 6-10
* George and Elena take a room at his sister Francka's place.
* George's brother-in-law Andrej helps him get a job at the steel mill.
* George and Andrej visit Joe Dubik and renew their friendship.
* Dorta Dubik starts taking in boarders.
* There are labor problems at the mill.
* George moves his family to Braddock.
* As tensions between the mill and union mount, George and Elena hope...
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)