|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter, C.V., King touches on the theme of the book. What is this theme?
2. How did King describe the cloth's appearance in his image?
3. King's early addiction soon added another one. What is it?
4. When King's principal hears about King's episode with the newspaper, what does he suggest?
5. What is one reason for reading the book, On Writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. King was a heavy drinker and addicted to cocaine. He believed that these two elements contributed to his creativity. In terms of the chapter, C.V., do you think his belief was justified? Why or why not?
2. What are some of the aspects of writing that King is not going to emphasize in the chapter, What Writing Is?
3. In a short paper, summarize the main points of King's life as an author.
4. Why does King write? Explain in your own words based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is.
5. In what way is the book, On Writing, to be different from King's usual work?
6. How would you summarize the different jobs King had during his early career? How might these jobs have influenced his work?
7. How did King begin his career as a writer?
8. Can you explain how King created the character of Carrie and why he disliked her so?
9. King believed that writing is telepathy. What is telepathy in the context of this statement?
10. After Tabitha King's intervention in her husband's addictions, King insisted on moving his desk. How was this symbolically important to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King mentions many elements as being important to good writing: limiting the use of adverbs, writing in the active voice instead of the passive voice, the use of speaker attributes other than said, and paragraph length. How would you prioritize these elements and why?
Essay Topic 2
King believes that certain preparations are unnecessary and even harmful to aspiring writers. He mentions creative writing courses and writers' retreats. What does he have to say about these two options for writers? Explain using your own words.
Essay Topic 3
King believes a writer should write a lot to be successful. Throughout his life, King has always written. Cite specific examples from King's life that demonstrate his dedication to his theory of good writing.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)