|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does King get a job to help pay for college?
2. What animal appears in the image King describes in the second chapter?
3. How did King describe the cloth's appearance in his image?
4. What type of job does King believe writing to be?
5. What kind of stories does King particularly enjoy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship is there between writing as a career and writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
2. How did King learn to edit his work? Why was this important to the young writer?
3. How would you summarize the different jobs King had during his early career? How might these jobs have influenced his work?
4. How did King begin his career as a writer?
5. In what way is the book, On Writing, to be different from King's usual work?
6. One of King's babysitters was particularly cruel. How might she have affected his later writings?
7. King believed that writing is telepathy. What is telepathy in the context of this statement?
8. Based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is, what ideas justify King's statement that writing is a serious job?
9. Why does King write? Explain in your own words based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is.
10. King opens the chapter, What Writing Is, with an image. What is the image and how is it described? In what ways is this image different from other images presented in books? What is King's motive in doing this? Do you think this is an effective way to allow the reader to see the scene? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King discusses several reasons for allowing others to read a book after the first draft and before the second draft. What are these reasons and why would they be valuable to the author? Answer based on King's opinion citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
King is a prolific writer yet he mentions writer's block in several places in the book, On Writing. Do you think this has been a hindrance in King's writing? What judgment would you make about King's frustration with writer's block? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
King states that good writers can improve, but bad writers will never be good writers.How can good writers improve? Why won't bad writers improve? Cite reasons from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)