Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to King, who determines what the image in the second chapter looks like?
2. How does his writing help King financially?
3. Whom does King meet while in college?
4. How does King's mother die?
5. What is the first object described in the image in the second chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence can you find about King's feelings on Strunk and White's Elements of Style?
2. What facts or ideas show the beginnings of King's career as a master of horror?
3. Why does King want his readers to put his book down if they are unable to accept that writing is magic?
4. Explain King's beliefs on vocabulary.
5. In what ways is the rabbit on the table of symbol of King's belief in magic and telepathy? Explain in your own words.
6. King was a heavy drinker and addicted to cocaine. He believed that these two elements contributed to his creativity. In terms of the chapter, C.V., do you think his belief was justified? Why or why not?
7. King stated aspiring writers should not use speaker attributes other than said. What are speaker attributes and why would King warn against using them?
8. As a child, King had many chronic ear and throat infections. How might these illnesses lead King to writing?
9. How did King begin his career as a writer?
10. In what way is the chapter, What Writing Is, different from the usual book on writing?
Essay Topic 1
What factors led to the publication of Carrie? Why do you think the novel was a success? Use ideas from the text to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
How is writing as a passion different from writing as a career? What ideas in this text justify King's statement?
Essay Topic 3
King mentions many elements as being important to good writing: limiting the use of adverbs, writing in the active voice instead of the passive voice, the use of speaker attributes other than said, and paragraph length. How would you prioritize these elements and why?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)