Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to King, who determines what the image in the second chapter looks like?
2. How does his writing help King financially?
3. Whom does King meet while in college?
4. How does King's mother die?
5. What is the first object described in the image in the second chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence can you find about King's feelings on Strunk and White's Elements of Style?
2. What facts or ideas show the beginnings of King's career as a master of horror?
3. Why does King want his readers to put his book down if they are unable to accept that writing is magic?
4. Explain King's beliefs on vocabulary.
5. In what ways is the rabbit on the table of symbol of King's belief in magic and telepathy? Explain in your own words.
6. King was a heavy drinker and addicted to cocaine. He believed that these two elements contributed to his creativity. In terms of the chapter, C.V., do you think his belief was justified? Why or why not?
7. King stated aspiring writers should not use speaker attributes other than said. What are speaker attributes and why would King warn against using them?
8. As a child, King had many chronic ear and throat infections. How might these illnesses lead King to writing?
9. How did King begin his career as a writer?
10. In what way is the chapter, What Writing Is, different from the usual book on writing?
Essay Topic 1
King discusses several reasons for allowing others to read a book after the first draft and before the second draft. What are these reasons and why would they be valuable to the author? Answer based on King's opinion citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What conclusions can you draw from King's statements about a writer having his own space in which to work? What alternatives are there for those people who want to write but find it impossible to obtain a space in their living quarters?
Essay Topic 3
What factors led to the publication of Carrie? Why do you think the novel was a success? Use ideas from the text to support your claims.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)