|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King remember about his childhood with his brother Dave?
2. What type of job does King believe writing to be?
3. Where on the animal is something unusual attached?
4. When a writer sees an image in his/her head and writes it down, what is he accomplishing in regards to the reader?
5. Of the details King has supplied the reader regarding his image in the second chapter, what does King hope the reader will primarily focus on?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the chapter, On Writing, King discusses symbolism and theme as elements best ignored in first drafts. What is the relationship between symbolism and theme in King's work?
2. Why do you think King details the accident but doesn't mention Bryan Smith in great detail in the chapter, On Living?
3. In the chapter, On Writing, King says characters should be multi-dimensional. What motive is there for trying to give all characters evil, as well as good, characteristics?
4. What conclusions can you draw from King's comparison of writing as a career versus writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
5. In the chapter, On Writing, King states that a writer should 'write what he knows'. What ideas justify this statement?
6. In what way is the book, On Writing, to be different from King's usual work?
7. Why does King write? Explain in your own words based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is.
8. How would you evaluate King's advice to aspiring writers in the chapters, What Writing Is, and Toolbox?
9. What inference can you make from King's claim in On Writing that a writer should have a specific space in which to work?
10. King also said 'to not write in fear'. What do you think he means by this statement? Explain in your own words.
Essay Topic 1
King mentions many elements as being important to good writing: limiting the use of adverbs, writing in the active voice instead of the passive voice, the use of speaker attributes other than said, and paragraph length. How would you prioritize these elements and why?
Essay Topic 2
King discusses several reasons for allowing others to read a book after the first draft and before the second draft. What are these reasons and why would they be valuable to the author? Answer based on King's opinion citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
King claims that in order to be a good writer, you must read. Why does King believe reading to be important to a writer? What does he say about writers who don't read? Cite reasons from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 1,845 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)