|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the unusual item attached to the animal?
2. What kind of a book is On Writing?
3. What is King's overall opinion on writing as a profession?
4. What happens with the electromagnet experiment?
5. According to King, what is the second condition that, if readers cannot accept, should be a reason to stop reading his book?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Tabitha King's intervention in her husband's addictions, King insisted on moving his desk. How was this symbolically important to him?
2. What are some of the things King remembers from his childhood? How might they have affected his writing?
3. What relationship is there between writing as a career and writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
4. As a child, King had many chronic ear and throat infections. How might these illnesses lead King to writing?
5. What facts or ideas show the beginnings of King's career as a master of horror?
6. King believed that writing is telepathy. What is telepathy in the context of this statement?
7. What conclusions can you draw from King's comparison of writing as a career versus writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
8. Based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is, what ideas justify King's statement that writing is a serious job?
9. Why does King write? Explain in your own words based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is.
10. Can you explain how King created the character of Carrie and why he disliked her so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think a writer can learn to 'see' and write about what he sees from images such as the one King presented of a rabbit in a cage on a table? How can writing exercises like this one lead to better writing? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
King is a prolific writer yet he mentions writer's block in several places in the book, On Writing. Do you think this has been a hindrance in King's writing? What judgment would you make about King's frustration with writer's block? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What changes was King forced to make in his writing life after his accident? Did this affect the amount or quality of his work? How did it affect his feelings about his work? Explain your answer based on the book, On Writing.
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)