|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one of King's babysitters do to him?
2. Where does King get a job to help pay for college?
3. What does King define writing as?
4. Of the two reasons King gives for why people write, which one does he support?
5. What does King remember about his childhood with his brother Dave?
Short Essay Questions
1. One of King's babysitters was particularly cruel. How might she have affected his later writings?
2. After Tabitha King's intervention in her husband's addictions, King insisted on moving his desk. How was this symbolically important to him?
3. In a short paper, summarize the main points of King's life as an author.
4. What conclusions can you draw from King's comparison of writing as a career versus writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
5. In what way is the chapter, What Writing Is, different from the usual book on writing?
6. Can you explain how King created the character of Carrie and why he disliked her so?
7. What are some of the aspects of writing that King is not going to emphasize in the chapter, What Writing Is?
8. How would you summarize the different jobs King had during his early career? How might these jobs have influenced his work?
9. As a child, King had many chronic ear and throat infections. How might these illnesses lead King to writing?
10. What facts or ideas show the beginnings of King's career as a master of horror?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King believes a writer should write a lot to be successful. Throughout his life, King has always written. Cite specific examples from King's life that demonstrate his dedication to his theory of good writing.
Essay Topic 2
What conclusions can you draw from King's statements about a writer having his own space in which to work? What alternatives are there for those people who want to write but find it impossible to obtain a space in their living quarters?
Essay Topic 3
What changes was King forced to make in his writing life after his accident? Did this affect the amount or quality of his work? How did it affect his feelings about his work? Explain your answer based on the book, On Writing.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)