|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does King meet while in college?
2. What is the second specific item King states his book on writing will NOT be about?
3. According to King, what are two reasons to write?
4. What kind of writing book does King say that he will be not be writing?
5. In the chapter, C.V., King touches on the theme of the book. What is this theme?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does King write? Explain in your own words based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is.
2. Why does King want his readers to put his book down if they are unable to accept that writing is magic?
3. How would you summarize the different jobs King had during his early career? How might these jobs have influenced his work?
4. What are some of the aspects of writing that King is not going to emphasize in the chapter, What Writing Is?
5. What facts or ideas show the beginnings of King's career as a master of horror?
6. How did King begin his career as a writer?
7. In what way is the book, On Writing, to be different from King's usual work?
8. When King asks the writer to accept 'the magic of writing, but to take it seriously', what is he saying?
9. King opens the chapter, What Writing Is, with an image. What is the image and how is it described? In what ways is this image different from other images presented in books? What is King's motive in doing this? Do you think this is an effective way to allow the reader to see the scene? Why or why not?
10. How did King learn to edit his work? Why was this important to the young writer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the single most important factor in King's early success in his writing career? Back up your statements with illustrations from the book, On Writing.
Essay Topic 2
King claims that in order to be a good writer, you must read. Why does King believe reading to be important to a writer? What does he say about writers who don't read? Cite reasons from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Why has Strunk and White's Elements of Style remained popular for over 30 years? What are the topics the book covers? How is this book different from other books? Even with his praise of the book, King criticizes some elements of the book. What should a writer do with these elements? Answer based on King's statements and the book, Elements of Style.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)