|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Carrie sells to a paperback publisher?
2. .What is the first specific item King states his book on writing will NOT be about?
3. Where is the cloth mentioned in King's image located within the image?
4. What happens to Carrie several months later after its initial sale?
5. What happens to the person(s) on whom King bases Carrie while they were in high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things King remembers from his childhood? How might they have affected his writing?
2. One of King's babysitters was particularly cruel. How might she have affected his later writings?
3. King opens the chapter, What Writing Is, with an image. What is the image and how is it described? In what ways is this image different from other images presented in books? What is King's motive in doing this? Do you think this is an effective way to allow the reader to see the scene? Why or why not?
4. After Tabitha King's intervention in her husband's addictions, King insisted on moving his desk. How was this symbolically important to him?
5. What facts or ideas show the beginnings of King's career as a master of horror?
6. In what way is the chapter, What Writing Is, different from the usual book on writing?
7. What are some of the aspects of writing that King is not going to emphasize in the chapter, What Writing Is?
8. King was a heavy drinker and addicted to cocaine. He believed that these two elements contributed to his creativity. In terms of the chapter, C.V., do you think his belief was justified? Why or why not?
9. In what way is the book, On Writing, to be different from King's usual work?
10. Based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is, what ideas justify King's statement that writing is a serious job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King states that good writers can improve, but bad writers will never be good writers.How can good writers improve? Why won't bad writers improve? Cite reasons from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
King discusses several reasons for allowing others to read a book after the first draft and before the second draft. What are these reasons and why would they be valuable to the author? Answer based on King's opinion citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
King claims that in order to be a good writer, you must read. Why does King believe reading to be important to a writer? What does he say about writers who don't read? Cite reasons from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)