|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did King describe the cloth's appearance in his image?
2. On one of their expeditions, King and his brother meet an unexpected enemy. What is this enemy?
3. What does the second chapter open with King presenting to the reader?
4. Of the two reasons King gives for why people write, which one does he support?
5. When King's principal hears about King's episode with the newspaper, what does he suggest?
Short Essay Questions
1. King believed that writing is telepathy. What is telepathy in the context of this statement?
2. Based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is, what ideas justify King's statement that writing is a serious job?
3. What facts or ideas show the beginnings of King's career as a master of horror?
4. Why does King want his readers to put his book down if they are unable to accept that writing is magic?
5. What are some of the things King remembers from his childhood? How might they have affected his writing?
6. King was a heavy drinker and addicted to cocaine. He believed that these two elements contributed to his creativity. In terms of the chapter, C.V., do you think his belief was justified? Why or why not?
7. How would you summarize the different jobs King had during his early career? How might these jobs have influenced his work?
8. In a short paper, summarize the main points of King's life as an author.
9. One of King's babysitters was particularly cruel. How might she have affected his later writings?
10. After Tabitha King's intervention in her husband's addictions, King insisted on moving his desk. How was this symbolically important to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King mentions many elements as being important to good writing: limiting the use of adverbs, writing in the active voice instead of the passive voice, the use of speaker attributes other than said, and paragraph length. How would you prioritize these elements and why?
Essay Topic 2
King claims all writers need a 'toolbox'. Why is a toolbox important for a writer? What should the toolbox contain? How can a writer improve his toolbox according to King? Use specific answers from the book to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Based on the book, On Writing, what is the most important item in the writer's toolbox? Why is this important? Support your argument with ideas from the text.
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)