|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. King states that writing is a job that includes aspects that are ____.
2. The image in the second chapter is King's way of demonstrating to the readers his idea of _____.
3. What is the second specific item King states his book on writing will NOT be about?
4. What happens with the electromagnet experiment?
5. Where on the animal is something unusual attached?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does King write? Explain in your own words based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is.
2. King believed that writing is telepathy. What is telepathy in the context of this statement?
3. What relationship is there between writing as a career and writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
4. As a child, King had many chronic ear and throat infections. How might these illnesses lead King to writing?
5. How would you summarize the different jobs King had during his early career? How might these jobs have influenced his work?
6. In what way is the chapter, What Writing Is, different from the usual book on writing?
7. In what ways is the rabbit on the table of symbol of King's belief in magic and telepathy? Explain in your own words.
8. Why does King want his readers to put his book down if they are unable to accept that writing is magic?
9. One of King's babysitters was particularly cruel. How might she have affected his later writings?
10. How did King begin his career as a writer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King has been called a hack. He defends himself by saying that throughout history, other who were called hacks, are now considered important writers. How would you evaluate King's body of work, especially the book, On Writing?
Essay Topic 2
King believes that certain preparations are unnecessary and even harmful to aspiring writers. He mentions creative writing courses and writers' retreats. What does he have to say about these two options for writers? Explain using your own words.
Essay Topic 3
What was the single most important factor in King's early success in his writing career? Back up your statements with illustrations from the book, On Writing.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)