|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. .What is the first specific item King states his book on writing will NOT be about?
2. In what manner does King say writers must always consider writing?
3. On one of their expeditions, King and his brother meet an unexpected enemy. What is this enemy?
4. The change that King made in his writing life after his wife's intervention is seen by King as a symbol. What does this symbol represent?
5. According to King, what is the second condition that, if readers cannot accept, should be a reason to stop reading his book?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is the book, On Writing, to be different from King's usual work?
2. In what way is the chapter, What Writing Is, different from the usual book on writing?
3. What are some of the things King remembers from his childhood? How might they have affected his writing?
4. After Tabitha King's intervention in her husband's addictions, King insisted on moving his desk. How was this symbolically important to him?
5. In what ways is the rabbit on the table of symbol of King's belief in magic and telepathy? Explain in your own words.
6. King believed that writing is telepathy. What is telepathy in the context of this statement?
7. How did King learn to edit his work? Why was this important to the young writer?
8. What relationship is there between writing as a career and writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
9. As a child, King had many chronic ear and throat infections. How might these illnesses lead King to writing?
10. What inferences can you make from King's statement that writing is magic? Explain in your own words.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King believes a writer should write a lot to be successful. Throughout his life, King has always written. Cite specific examples from King's life that demonstrate his dedication to his theory of good writing.
Essay Topic 2
King has been called a hack. He defends himself by saying that throughout history, other who were called hacks, are now considered important writers. How would you evaluate King's body of work, especially the book, On Writing?
Essay Topic 3
What was the single most important factor in King's early success in his writing career? Back up your statements with illustrations from the book, On Writing.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)