|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does King state he feels about writing for money?
2. The change that King made in his writing life after his wife's intervention is seen by King as a symbol. What does this symbol represent?
3. Why does King miss his first year of school?
4. What is the third specific item King states his book on writing will NOT be?
5. What is the second specific item King states his book on writing will NOT be about?
Short Essay Questions
1. King opens the chapter, What Writing Is, with an image. What is the image and how is it described? In what ways is this image different from other images presented in books? What is King's motive in doing this? Do you think this is an effective way to allow the reader to see the scene? Why or why not?
2. Why does King want his readers to put his book down if they are unable to accept that writing is magic?
3. What facts or ideas show the beginnings of King's career as a master of horror?
4. King was a heavy drinker and addicted to cocaine. He believed that these two elements contributed to his creativity. In terms of the chapter, C.V., do you think his belief was justified? Why or why not?
5. In what ways is the rabbit on the table of symbol of King's belief in magic and telepathy? Explain in your own words.
6. Can you explain how King created the character of Carrie and why he disliked her so?
7. In what way is the book, On Writing, to be different from King's usual work?
8. As a child, King had many chronic ear and throat infections. How might these illnesses lead King to writing?
9. What conclusions can you draw from King's comparison of writing as a career versus writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
10. How did King learn to edit his work? Why was this important to the young writer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is writing as a passion different from writing as a career? What ideas in this text justify King's statement?
Essay Topic 2
King states that good writers can improve, but bad writers will never be good writers.How can good writers improve? Why won't bad writers improve? Cite reasons from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
What changes was King forced to make in his writing life after his accident? Did this affect the amount or quality of his work? How did it affect his feelings about his work? Explain your answer based on the book, On Writing.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)