|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which substance is King first addicted as a young man?
2. What is the name of the second chapter of this book?
3. In the chapter, C.V., King touches on the theme of the book. What is this theme?
4. If a reader does not see an image the same way as the writer, how has the image changed?
5. How does King obtain money from his classmates?
Short Essay Questions
1. King opens the chapter, What Writing Is, with an image. What is the image and how is it described? In what ways is this image different from other images presented in books? What is King's motive in doing this? Do you think this is an effective way to allow the reader to see the scene? Why or why not?
2. How would you summarize the different jobs King had during his early career? How might these jobs have influenced his work?
3. King was a heavy drinker and addicted to cocaine. He believed that these two elements contributed to his creativity. In terms of the chapter, C.V., do you think his belief was justified? Why or why not?
4. In what ways is the rabbit on the table of symbol of King's belief in magic and telepathy? Explain in your own words.
5. What are some of the things King remembers from his childhood? How might they have affected his writing?
6. King believed that writing is telepathy. What is telepathy in the context of this statement?
7. In what way is the book, On Writing, to be different from King's usual work?
8. One of King's babysitters was particularly cruel. How might she have affected his later writings?
9. Why does King write? Explain in your own words based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is.
10. Why does King want his readers to put his book down if they are unable to accept that writing is magic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King is a prolific writer yet he mentions writer's block in several places in the book, On Writing. Do you think this has been a hindrance in King's writing? What judgment would you make about King's frustration with writer's block? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why has Strunk and White's Elements of Style remained popular for over 30 years? What are the topics the book covers? How is this book different from other books? Even with his praise of the book, King criticizes some elements of the book. What should a writer do with these elements? Answer based on King's statements and the book, Elements of Style.
Essay Topic 3
How is writing as a passion different from writing as a career? What ideas in this text justify King's statement?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)