|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King do while editor of his school paper?
2. What number appears in King's image?
3. What is King's overall opinion on details in writing?
4. What happens with the electromagnet experiment?
5. What kind of a book is On Writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. King opens the chapter, What Writing Is, with an image. What is the image and how is it described? In what ways is this image different from other images presented in books? What is King's motive in doing this? Do you think this is an effective way to allow the reader to see the scene? Why or why not?
2. King was a heavy drinker and addicted to cocaine. He believed that these two elements contributed to his creativity. In terms of the chapter, C.V., do you think his belief was justified? Why or why not?
3. Why does King write? Explain in your own words based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is.
4. Can you explain how King created the character of Carrie and why he disliked her so?
5. One of King's babysitters was particularly cruel. How might she have affected his later writings?
6. As a child, King had many chronic ear and throat infections. How might these illnesses lead King to writing?
7. What facts or ideas show the beginnings of King's career as a master of horror?
8. When King asks the writer to accept 'the magic of writing, but to take it seriously', what is he saying?
9. How would you summarize the different jobs King had during his early career? How might these jobs have influenced his work?
10. In what way is the book, On Writing, to be different from King's usual work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is writing as a passion different from writing as a career? What ideas in this text justify King's statement?
Essay Topic 2
King claims all writers need a 'toolbox'. Why is a toolbox important for a writer? What should the toolbox contain? How can a writer improve his toolbox according to King? Use specific answers from the book to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why has Strunk and White's Elements of Style remained popular for over 30 years? What are the topics the book covers? How is this book different from other books? Even with his praise of the book, King criticizes some elements of the book. What should a writer do with these elements? Answer based on King's statements and the book, Elements of Style.
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)