|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does King begin to write stories?
2. Where does King discover horror stories?
3. According to King, what are two reasons to write?
4. What does the second chapter open with King presenting to the reader?
5. The image in the second chapter is King's way of demonstrating to the readers his idea of _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you summarize the different jobs King had during his early career? How might these jobs have influenced his work?
2. One of King's babysitters was particularly cruel. How might she have affected his later writings?
3. What facts or ideas show the beginnings of King's career as a master of horror?
4. King believed that writing is telepathy. What is telepathy in the context of this statement?
5. King opens the chapter, What Writing Is, with an image. What is the image and how is it described? In what ways is this image different from other images presented in books? What is King's motive in doing this? Do you think this is an effective way to allow the reader to see the scene? Why or why not?
6. What are some of the aspects of writing that King is not going to emphasize in the chapter, What Writing Is?
7. What relationship is there between writing as a career and writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
8. In what way is the book, On Writing, to be different from King's usual work?
9. How did King begin his career as a writer?
10. Based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is, what ideas justify King's statement that writing is a serious job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King believes that certain preparations are unnecessary and even harmful to aspiring writers. He mentions creative writing courses and writers' retreats. What does he have to say about these two options for writers? Explain using your own words.
Essay Topic 2
Why has Strunk and White's Elements of Style remained popular for over 30 years? What are the topics the book covers? How is this book different from other books? Even with his praise of the book, King criticizes some elements of the book. What should a writer do with these elements? Answer based on King's statements and the book, Elements of Style.
Essay Topic 3
King has been called a hack. He defends himself by saying that throughout history, other who were called hacks, are now considered important writers. How would you evaluate King's body of work, especially the book, On Writing?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)