|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King remember about his childhood with his brother Dave?
2. How does King's mother die?
3. What is the first chapter, C.V., about?
4. Of the details King has supplied the reader regarding his image in the second chapter, what does King hope the reader will primarily focus on?
5. To which substance is King first addicted as a young man?
Short Essay Questions
1. One of King's babysitters was particularly cruel. How might she have affected his later writings?
2. What relationship is there between writing as a career and writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
3. What are some of the things King remembers from his childhood? How might they have affected his writing?
4. What inferences can you make from King's statement that writing is magic? Explain in your own words.
5. What are some of the aspects of writing that King is not going to emphasize in the chapter, What Writing Is?
6. What conclusions can you draw from King's comparison of writing as a career versus writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
7. Why does King write? Explain in your own words based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is.
8. What facts or ideas show the beginnings of King's career as a master of horror?
9. In what way is the book, On Writing, to be different from King's usual work?
10. In what ways is the rabbit on the table of symbol of King's belief in magic and telepathy? Explain in your own words.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King has been called a hack. He defends himself by saying that throughout history, other who were called hacks, are now considered important writers. How would you evaluate King's body of work, especially the book, On Writing?
Essay Topic 2
Based on the book, On Writing, what is the most important item in the writer's toolbox? Why is this important? Support your argument with ideas from the text.
Essay Topic 3
King believes that certain preparations are unnecessary and even harmful to aspiring writers. He mentions creative writing courses and writers' retreats. What does he have to say about these two options for writers? Explain using your own words.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)