|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Carrie when King sends it off to the publisher?
2. How does his writing help King financially?
3. On one of their expeditions, King and his brother meet an unexpected enemy. What is this enemy?
4. What is the second specific item King states his book on writing will NOT be about?
5. What is one of King's last jobs before becoming a full-time writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the chapter, On Writing, King explains that description should be the smallest amount possible. How would you evaluate King's beliefs on writing description?
2. Explain King's beliefs on vocabulary.
3. In a short paper, summarize the main points of King's life as an author.
4. Both with vocabulary and 'above all else' King emphasizes honesty. Explain 'honesty' according to King and in your own words.
5. In what ways is the rabbit on the table of symbol of King's belief in magic and telepathy? Explain in your own words.
6. How did King learn to edit his work? Why was this important to the young writer?
7. Can you explain how King created the character of Carrie and why he disliked her so?
8. King also said 'to not write in fear'. What do you think he means by this statement? Explain in your own words.
9. What conclusions can you draw from King's comparison of writing as a career versus writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
10. Why does King want his readers to put his book down if they are unable to accept that writing is magic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When King says there are some elements of writing that are highly unexplainable, what is he trying to say? King also claims writing is magic. What evidence can you find in the book, On Writing, that writing is magic? Defend your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
King is a prolific writer yet he mentions writer's block in several places in the book, On Writing. Do you think this has been a hindrance in King's writing? What judgment would you make about King's frustration with writer's block? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
King claims all writers need a 'toolbox'. Why is a toolbox important for a writer? What should the toolbox contain? How can a writer improve his toolbox according to King? Use specific answers from the book to explain your answer.
This section contains 1,829 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)