|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing King requests in the second chapter that his readers accept about writing?
2. Does King believe the reader see the image in the same way as the author?
3. Of the details King has supplied the reader regarding his image in the second chapter, what does King hope the reader will primarily focus on?
4. Why does it prove valuable to King to work for a local newspaper?
5. How does King state he feels about writing for money?
Short Essay Questions
1. One of King's babysitters was particularly cruel. How might she have affected his later writings?
2. Can you explain how King created the character of Carrie and why he disliked her so?
3. After Tabitha King's intervention in her husband's addictions, King insisted on moving his desk. How was this symbolically important to him?
4. What facts or ideas show the beginnings of King's career as a master of horror?
5. What is the theme of the book and of this chapter in On Writing?
6. What relationship is there between writing as a career and writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
7. In the chapter, On Writing, King explains that description should be the smallest amount possible. How would you evaluate King's beliefs on writing description?
8. What is the second most important tool according to King?
9. In what ways is the rabbit on the table of symbol of King's belief in magic and telepathy? Explain in your own words.
10. Why does King write? Explain in your own words based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is.
Essay Topic 1
King mentions many elements as being important to good writing: limiting the use of adverbs, writing in the active voice instead of the passive voice, the use of speaker attributes other than said, and paragraph length. How would you prioritize these elements and why?
Essay Topic 2
King has been called a hack. He defends himself by saying that throughout history, other who were called hacks, are now considered important writers. How would you evaluate King's body of work, especially the book, On Writing?
Essay Topic 3
Why has Strunk and White's Elements of Style remained popular for over 30 years? What are the topics the book covers? How is this book different from other books? Even with his praise of the book, King criticizes some elements of the book. What should a writer do with these elements? Answer based on King's statements and the book, Elements of Style.
This section contains 1,803 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)