|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King define writing as?
2. Why does King describe the image in the second chapter the way he does?
3. How does King obtain money from his classmates?
4. According to King, what is the second condition that, if readers cannot accept, should be a reason to stop reading his book?
5. In the chapter, C.V., King touches on the theme of the book. What is this theme?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did King begin his career as a writer?
2. One of King's babysitters was particularly cruel. How might she have affected his later writings?
3. How would you summarize the different jobs King had during his early career? How might these jobs have influenced his work?
4. What relationship is there between writing as a career and writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
5. What conclusions can you draw from King's comparison of writing as a career versus writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
6. Why does King write? Explain in your own words based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is.
7. In what way is the chapter, What Writing Is, different from the usual book on writing?
8. When King asks the writer to accept 'the magic of writing, but to take it seriously', what is he saying?
9. What inferences can you make from King's statement that writing is magic? Explain in your own words.
10. What facts or ideas show the beginnings of King's career as a master of horror?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think a writer can learn to 'see' and write about what he sees from images such as the one King presented of a rabbit in a cage on a table? How can writing exercises like this one lead to better writing? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
King believes that certain preparations are unnecessary and even harmful to aspiring writers. He mentions creative writing courses and writers' retreats. What does he have to say about these two options for writers? Explain using your own words.
Essay Topic 3
Why has Strunk and White's Elements of Style remained popular for over 30 years? What are the topics the book covers? How is this book different from other books? Even with his praise of the book, King criticizes some elements of the book. What should a writer do with these elements? Answer based on King's statements and the book, Elements of Style.
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)