|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to King, who determines what the image in the second chapter looks like?
2. How does his writing help King financially?
3. Whom does King meet while in college?
4. How does King's mother die?
5. What is the first object described in the image in the second chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence can you find about King's feelings on Strunk and White's Elements of Style?
2. What facts or ideas show the beginnings of King's career as a master of horror?
3. Why does King want his readers to put his book down if they are unable to accept that writing is magic?
4. Explain King's beliefs on vocabulary.
5. In what ways is the rabbit on the table of symbol of King's belief in magic and telepathy? Explain in your own words.
6. King was a heavy drinker and addicted to cocaine. He believed that these two elements contributed to his creativity. In terms of the chapter, C.V., do you think his belief was justified? Why or why not?
7. King stated aspiring writers should not use speaker attributes other than said. What are speaker attributes and why would King warn against using them?
8. As a child, King had many chronic ear and throat infections. How might these illnesses lead King to writing?
9. How did King begin his career as a writer?
10. In what way is the chapter, What Writing Is, different from the usual book on writing?
Essay Topic 1
Based on the book, On Writing, what is the most important item in the writer's toolbox? Why is this important? Support your argument with ideas from the text.
Essay Topic 2
King has been called a hack. He defends himself by saying that throughout history, other who were called hacks, are now considered important writers. How would you evaluate King's body of work, especially the book, On Writing?
Essay Topic 3
King believed that characters must be multi-dimensional rather than cardboard figures. Has King been successful in creating multi-dimensional characters? Citing examples from the book, On Writing, how would you evaluate the characters in King's different novels?
This section contains 1,556 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)