|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a major theme in the second chapter of King's book?
2. When King's principal hears about King's episode with the newspaper, what does he suggest?
3. What does one of King's babysitters do to him?
4. Does King believe the reader see the image in the same way as the author?
5. Where is the cloth mentioned in King's image located within the image?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways is the rabbit on the table of symbol of King's belief in magic and telepathy? Explain in your own words.
2. Why does King want his readers to put his book down if they are unable to accept that writing is magic?
3. Why does King write? Explain in your own words based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is.
4. What are some of the aspects of writing that King is not going to emphasize in the chapter, What Writing Is?
5. What are some of the things King remembers from his childhood? How might they have affected his writing?
6. When King asks the writer to accept 'the magic of writing, but to take it seriously', what is he saying?
7. What facts or ideas show the beginnings of King's career as a master of horror?
8. Based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is, what ideas justify King's statement that writing is a serious job?
9. After Tabitha King's intervention in her husband's addictions, King insisted on moving his desk. How was this symbolically important to him?
10. What inferences can you make from King's statement that writing is magic? Explain in your own words.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why has Strunk and White's Elements of Style remained popular for over 30 years? What are the topics the book covers? How is this book different from other books? Even with his praise of the book, King criticizes some elements of the book. What should a writer do with these elements? Answer based on King's statements and the book, Elements of Style.
Essay Topic 2
King states that good writers can improve, but bad writers will never be good writers.How can good writers improve? Why won't bad writers improve? Cite reasons from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Based on the book, On Writing, what is the most important item in the writer's toolbox? Why is this important? Support your argument with ideas from the text.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)