|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King define writing as?
2. According to King, what are two reasons to write?
3. How did King describe the cloth's appearance in his image?
4. What happens to Carrie when King sends it off to the publisher?
5. What happened when Carrie sells to a paperback publisher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does King write? Explain in your own words based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is.
2. In what way is the book, On Writing, to be different from King's usual work?
3. In what way is the chapter, What Writing Is, different from the usual book on writing?
4. Why does King want his readers to put his book down if they are unable to accept that writing is magic?
5. What are some of the things King remembers from his childhood? How might they have affected his writing?
6. King opens the chapter, What Writing Is, with an image. What is the image and how is it described? In what ways is this image different from other images presented in books? What is King's motive in doing this? Do you think this is an effective way to allow the reader to see the scene? Why or why not?
7. In a short paper, summarize the main points of King's life as an author.
8. What conclusions can you draw from King's comparison of writing as a career versus writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
9. What relationship is there between writing as a career and writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
10. What inferences can you make from King's statement that writing is magic? Explain in your own words.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What factors led to the publication of Carrie? Why do you think the novel was a success? Use ideas from the text to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
King states that good writers can improve, but bad writers will never be good writers.How can good writers improve? Why won't bad writers improve? Cite reasons from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Why has Strunk and White's Elements of Style remained popular for over 30 years? What are the topics the book covers? How is this book different from other books? Even with his praise of the book, King criticizes some elements of the book. What should a writer do with these elements? Answer based on King's statements and the book, Elements of Style.
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)