|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does King get the idea for Carrie?
2. When a writer sees an image in his/her head and writes it down, what is he accomplishing in regards to the reader?
3. What does King suggest that readers who do not take writing seriously do?
4. What is King's overall opinion on details in writing?
5. To which substance is King first addicted as a young man?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways is the rabbit on the table of symbol of King's belief in magic and telepathy? Explain in your own words.
2. King opens the chapter, What Writing Is, with an image. What is the image and how is it described? In what ways is this image different from other images presented in books? What is King's motive in doing this? Do you think this is an effective way to allow the reader to see the scene? Why or why not?
3. When King asks the writer to accept 'the magic of writing, but to take it seriously', what is he saying?
4. King was a heavy drinker and addicted to cocaine. He believed that these two elements contributed to his creativity. In terms of the chapter, C.V., do you think his belief was justified? Why or why not?
5. What facts or ideas show the beginnings of King's career as a master of horror?
6. In what way is the chapter, What Writing Is, different from the usual book on writing?
7. Why does King write? Explain in your own words based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is.
8. What inferences can you make from King's statement that writing is magic? Explain in your own words.
9. How did King begin his career as a writer?
10. What relationship is there between writing as a career and writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What changes was King forced to make in his writing life after his accident? Did this affect the amount or quality of his work? How did it affect his feelings about his work? Explain your answer based on the book, On Writing.
Essay Topic 2
King claims all writers need a 'toolbox'. Why is a toolbox important for a writer? What should the toolbox contain? How can a writer improve his toolbox according to King? Use specific answers from the book to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
King believed that characters must be multi-dimensional rather than cardboard figures. Has King been successful in creating multi-dimensional characters? Citing examples from the book, On Writing, how would you evaluate the characters in King's different novels?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)