|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a writer sees an image in his/her head and writes it down, what is he accomplishing in regards to the reader?
2. What does King define writing as?
3. What number appears in King's image?
4. King states that writing is a job that includes aspects that are ____.
5. How does King state he feels about writing for money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What facts or ideas show the beginnings of King's career as a master of horror?
2. In a short paper, summarize the main points of King's life as an author.
3. Based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is, what ideas justify King's statement that writing is a serious job?
4. King opens the chapter, What Writing Is, with an image. What is the image and how is it described? In what ways is this image different from other images presented in books? What is King's motive in doing this? Do you think this is an effective way to allow the reader to see the scene? Why or why not?
5. Why does King want his readers to put his book down if they are unable to accept that writing is magic?
6. What inferences can you make from King's statement that writing is magic? Explain in your own words.
7. In what way is the chapter, What Writing Is, different from the usual book on writing?
8. As a child, King had many chronic ear and throat infections. How might these illnesses lead King to writing?
9. What relationship is there between writing as a career and writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
10. What are some of the things King remembers from his childhood? How might they have affected his writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King has been called a hack. He defends himself by saying that throughout history, other who were called hacks, are now considered important writers. How would you evaluate King's body of work, especially the book, On Writing?
Essay Topic 2
King discusses several reasons for allowing others to read a book after the first draft and before the second draft. What are these reasons and why would they be valuable to the author? Answer based on King's opinion citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How is writing as a passion different from writing as a career? What ideas in this text justify King's statement?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)