|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of writing book does King say that he will be not be writing?
2. What is the second specific item King states his book on writing will NOT be about?
3. What is a major theme in the second chapter of King's book?
4. Where on the animal is something unusual attached?
5. What happens to Carrie several months later after its initial sale?
Short Essay Questions
1. King opens the chapter, What Writing Is, with an image. What is the image and how is it described? In what ways is this image different from other images presented in books? What is King's motive in doing this? Do you think this is an effective way to allow the reader to see the scene? Why or why not?
2. In a short paper, summarize the main points of King's life as an author.
3. King was a heavy drinker and addicted to cocaine. He believed that these two elements contributed to his creativity. In terms of the chapter, C.V., do you think his belief was justified? Why or why not?
4. How would you summarize the different jobs King had during his early career? How might these jobs have influenced his work?
5. In what ways is the rabbit on the table of symbol of King's belief in magic and telepathy? Explain in your own words.
6. What inferences can you make from King's statement that writing is magic? Explain in your own words.
7. Why does King write? Explain in your own words based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is.
8. In what way is the book, On Writing, to be different from King's usual work?
9. Can you explain how King created the character of Carrie and why he disliked her so?
10. One of King's babysitters was particularly cruel. How might she have affected his later writings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What conclusions can you draw from King's statements about a writer having his own space in which to work? What alternatives are there for those people who want to write but find it impossible to obtain a space in their living quarters?
Essay Topic 2
King discusses several reasons for allowing others to read a book after the first draft and before the second draft. What are these reasons and why would they be valuable to the author? Answer based on King's opinion citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
King claims all writers need a 'toolbox'. Why is a toolbox important for a writer? What should the toolbox contain? How can a writer improve his toolbox according to King? Use specific answers from the book to explain your answer.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)