|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of King's last jobs before becoming a full-time writer?
2. What animal appears in the image King describes in the second chapter?
3. How does King state he feels about writing for money?
4. How does King's mother die?
5. Why does it prove valuable to King to work for a local newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did King begin his career as a writer?
2. In what way is the book, On Writing, to be different from King's usual work?
3. In what way is the chapter, What Writing Is, different from the usual book on writing?
4. Can you explain how King created the character of Carrie and why he disliked her so?
5. How did King learn to edit his work? Why was this important to the young writer?
6. One of King's babysitters was particularly cruel. How might she have affected his later writings?
7. What are some of the aspects of writing that King is not going to emphasize in the chapter, What Writing Is?
8. What inferences can you make from King's statement that writing is magic? Explain in your own words.
9. How would you summarize the different jobs King had during his early career? How might these jobs have influenced his work?
10. As a child, King had many chronic ear and throat infections. How might these illnesses lead King to writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King discusses several reasons for allowing others to read a book after the first draft and before the second draft. What are these reasons and why would they be valuable to the author? Answer based on King's opinion citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
When King says there are some elements of writing that are highly unexplainable, what is he trying to say? King also claims writing is magic. What evidence can you find in the book, On Writing, that writing is magic? Defend your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How is writing as a passion different from writing as a career? What ideas in this text justify King's statement?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)