Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to King, who determines what the image in the second chapter looks like?
2. How does his writing help King financially?
3. Whom does King meet while in college?
4. How does King's mother die?
5. What is the first object described in the image in the second chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence can you find about King's feelings on Strunk and White's Elements of Style?
2. What facts or ideas show the beginnings of King's career as a master of horror?
3. Why does King want his readers to put his book down if they are unable to accept that writing is magic?
4. Explain King's beliefs on vocabulary.
5. In what ways is the rabbit on the table of symbol of King's belief in magic and telepathy? Explain in your own words.
6. King was a heavy drinker and addicted to cocaine. He believed that these two elements contributed to his creativity. In terms of the chapter, C.V., do you think his belief was justified? Why or why not?
7. King stated aspiring writers should not use speaker attributes other than said. What are speaker attributes and why would King warn against using them?
8. As a child, King had many chronic ear and throat infections. How might these illnesses lead King to writing?
9. How did King begin his career as a writer?
10. In what way is the chapter, What Writing Is, different from the usual book on writing?
Essay Topic 1
King discusses several reasons for allowing others to read a book after the first draft and before the second draft. What are these reasons and why would they be valuable to the author? Answer based on King's opinion citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
When King says there are some elements of writing that are highly unexplainable, what is he trying to say? King also claims writing is magic. What evidence can you find in the book, On Writing, that writing is magic? Defend your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Why has Strunk and White's Elements of Style remained popular for over 30 years? What are the topics the book covers? How is this book different from other books? Even with his praise of the book, King criticizes some elements of the book. What should a writer do with these elements? Answer based on King's statements and the book, Elements of Style.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)