|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter, C.V., King makes a discovery about writing. What is this discovery?
2. What is the first chapter, C.V., about?
3. When King's principal hears about King's episode with the newspaper, what does he suggest?
4. What animal appears in the image King describes in the second chapter?
5. What does King remember about his childhood with his brother Dave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does King write? Explain in your own words based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is.
2. How would you categorize King's decision to return to work after his accident?
3. In what way is the book, On Writing, to be different from King's usual work?
4. What evidence can you find about King's feelings on Strunk and White's Elements of Style?
5. In the chapter, On Writing, King says characters should be multi-dimensional. What motive is there for trying to give all characters evil, as well as good, characteristics?
6. In the chapter, On Writing, King says some critics of his work claim that he is a hack. What is a hack and what evidence can you find to support the statement that King is a hack?
7. In the chapter, On Writing, King states that a writer should 'write what he knows'. What ideas justify this statement?
8. How would you summarize the different jobs King had during his early career? How might these jobs have influenced his work?
9. What inference can you make from King's claim in On Writing that a writer should have a specific space in which to work?
10. What relationship is there between writing as a career and writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
Essay Topic 1
How is writing as a passion different from writing as a career? What ideas in this text justify King's statement?
Essay Topic 2
Based on the book, On Writing, what is the most important item in the writer's toolbox? Why is this important? Support your argument with ideas from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What factors in King's childhood and young adulthood influenced his writing? Was King's brother Dave an important influence in King's writing career? Which factors determined the type of writing he does? Give specific examples from the book to support your claims.
This section contains 1,800 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)