|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which speaker attributes does King find acceptable for the majority of dialogue?
(a) Those which use active verbs.
(b) Clever ones that break up the monotony of the 'he said', 'she said' routine.
(c) The basic 'he said', 'she said'.
(d) Whichever ones are necessary to convey the meaning of the scene.
2. How does King paint the main character from The Dead Zone?
(a) He has his flaws and is thoroughly evil.
(b) He is too perfect.
(c) He is evil but loving.
(d) As a nice, normal boy who is flawed.
3. King claims __________ is the second most important tool in a writer's toolbox.
(a) A good plot.
(b) Beauty of expression.
4. According to King, what is the most important tool for a writer?
(b) Good typing skills.
(c) Lots of notes.
(d) An excellent computer.
5. What is King's most important injunction to writers?
(a) Writers must be original.
(b) Writers should be honest.
(c) Writers need to have their own space.
(d) Writers must work every day.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to King, which element of a novel is less important than aspiring writers might believe?
2. What kind of verbs does King recommend be used when writing?
3. According to King, what characteristic should a writer's space have?
4. With respect to vocabulary, King states that __________ does not matter:
5. What equipment does a writer need according to King?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)