|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does King believe about writers who are too busy to read?
(a) They are too busy to write.
(b) They are hobbyists, not passionate writers.
(c) They will be a successful writer.
(d) They will lose a good source of ideas.
2. What action does King believe a writer should take with respect to grammar?
(a) To ask teachers about things which confuse the writer.
(b) To thoroughly read a well-known grammar text.
(c) To ignore grammar and let editors correct any obvious mistakes.
(d) To research the writer's specific doubts on the Internet.
3. In order to ignore a grammar rule, what does King believe must be observed?
(a) A new rule must be created.
(b) It must be done properly.
(d) An explanation must be given to the reader.
4. What advice does King give on paragraphs?
(a) King wants writers to see their paragraphs as a graphic picture on a page.
(b) King feels paragraphs should have a standard length of 8 to 10 lines.
(c) To pay attention to the length and number of paragraphs.
(d) King believes paragraphs should not vary in length.
5. Why does King emphasize the importance of reading?
(a) He feels that writers need to widen their horizons.
(b) He wants writers to appreciate different styles of writing.
(c) He thinks that writers need to see what other writers are writing about.
(d) He believes a writer learns his craft from reading.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King's uncle inherit?
2. On certain occasions, King believes that grammar rules _________ .
3. How does King define vocabulary?
4. In addition to his injunction, King wants writers to leave something behind when they write. What should writers leave behind?
5. Where does King get the idea for the novel Misery?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)