|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does King define vocabulary?
(a) Good words and knowledge of how to use them.
(b) A knowledge of words used by different people that you are going to write about.
(c) An essential tool for good writing.
(d) The sum of the words you know.
2. What does King say about adverbs?
(a) To limit their use.
(b) To use colorful adverbs to make the writing more vivid.
(c) To include them when characters are being emotional.
(d) To use them to intensify meaning.
3. What does King believe is necessary to create strong characters?
(a) They should be clearly defined by their actions.
(b) They should be clearly defined but interesting.
(c) The reader should have no problem identifying the good characters from the bad ones.
(d) They should be multidimensional.
4. Another belief of King is that writers have a special need. What is this need?
(a) A specific space in which to write.
(b) A telephone.
(c) A modern computer with Skype and YouTube accounts.
(d) An office equipped with a computer and internet access.
5. Why does King feel that plotting out a novel is not wise?
(a) He believes it would be dishonest to the characters.
(b) He wants his characters to be free to act.
(c) He feels that the story creates the plot.
(d) He likes for his story to develop, and then he tries to mold the plot when necessary.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does King suggest writers improve their vocabulary?
2. What advice does King give on paragraphs?
3. What kind of material should a writer read in order to learn the most from his reading?
4. How could the object King's uncle inherits be described?
5. According to King, what is the most important tool for a writer?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)