|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How could the object King's uncle inherits be described?
(a) Large and open.
(b) Big but light.
(c) Small and light.
(d) Large and hard to carry around.
2. According to King, what characteristics should all characters possess?
(a) Characteristics that make the reader sympathetic.
(b) Evil characteristics as well as good ones.
(c) Characteristics which make them seem perfect.
(d) Endearing qualities.
3. With respect to vocabulary, King states that __________ does not matter:
(a) The beauty of a writer's vocabulary.
(b) The cleverness of a writer's vocabulary.
(c) The extent of a writer's vocabulary.
(d) Whether a writer's vocabulary is highly educated or simple.
4. What equipment does a writer need according to King?
(a) A computer, or a pad of paper, and perhaps some music.
(b) A telephone, a computer, and some music.
(c) A desk and a chair with a typewriter.
(d) A telephone, a desk, and a computer.
5. However, King does believe _______ to be essential to a writer's vocabulary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it important to King that a writer not be distracted while working?
2. In addition to his injunction, King wants writers to leave something behind when they write. What should writers leave behind?
3. In the chapter, Toolbox, what advice does King give the reader?
4. What does King's uncle take with him when he works?
5. According to King, what characteristic should a writer's space have?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the chapter, On Writing, King states that writer's retreats and creative writing classes are unnecessary. Why did King consider these opportunities a waste of time?
2. What evidence can you find about King's feelings on Strunk and White's Elements of Style?
3. How would you evaluate King's advice to aspiring writers in the chapters, What Writing Is, and Toolbox?
4. Why do you think King stresses the importance of writing a lot in On Writing?
5. What are some of the most important aspects of grammar that an aspiring writer should observe according to King?
6. King also said 'to not write in fear'. What do you think he means by this statement? Explain in your own words.
7. In the chapter, On Writing, King says a writer can improve his work by reading. How does the advice given by King 'to read' improve a writer's work?
8. In the chapter, On Writing, King discusses symbolism and theme as elements best ignored in first drafts. What is the relationship between symbolism and theme in King's work?
9. Why does King believe that adverbs, especially those ending in -ly are unnecessary?
10. In the chapter, On Writing, King explains that description should be the smallest amount possible. How would you evaluate King's beliefs on writing description?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)