|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does King use theme in his novels?
(a) To guide the plot along.
(b) To illustrate otherwise obscure points.
(c) To help him stay on course.
(d) To create a moral in his work.
2. How does King feel about writers improving their work?
(a) He is sure only good writers can successfully improve their writing.
(b) He believes writers improve their work through experience.
(c) He feels a good writer can become an excellent writer, but a bad writer will always be bad.
(d) He believes bad writers can become good writers.
3. King claims he works on all of the following days except one. Which day does King not work?
(a) New Year's Day.
(b) His birthday.
(d) Thanksgiving Day.
4. King also suggests limiting speaker attributes. What are speaker attributes?
(a) This is when a speaker 'attributes' words to another person, i.e. 'Goethe stated...'.
(b) The physical and psychological profile of a speaker.
(c) The use of words such as 'he said' or 'she proclaimed'.
(d) Description of the physical appearance of a speaker.
5. However, King does believe _______ to be essential to a writer's vocabulary.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does King's uncle inherit something?
2. There is another element in the making of a good writer according to King's statements. What is it?
3. What activity might cause King to work on days he normally doesn't work?
4. According to King, what is the best technique to use with description?
5. According to King, what is the most important tool for a writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. King also said 'to not write in fear'. What do you think he means by this statement? Explain in your own words.
2. King stated aspiring writers should not use speaker attributes other than said. What are speaker attributes and why would King warn against using them?
3. What evidence can you find to support King's claim that plot is less necessary than many would have the writer believe?
4. Explain King's beliefs on vocabulary.
5. What evidence can you find about King's feelings on Strunk and White's Elements of Style?
6. In the chapter, On Writing, King says a writer can improve his work by reading. How does the advice given by King 'to read' improve a writer's work?
7. In the chapter, On Writing, King discusses symbolism and theme as elements best ignored in first drafts. What is the relationship between symbolism and theme in King's work?
8. In the chapter, On Writing, King explains that description should be the smallest amount possible. How would you evaluate King's beliefs on writing description?
9. What is King trying to tell the aspiring writer about finding his voice?
10. In the chapter, On Writing, King states that a writer should 'write what he knows'. What ideas justify this statement?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)