|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to comments on paragraphs, King mentions one other feature of the page. What is it?
(a) The amount of white space on a page.
(b) How one physical paragraph relates to the others.
(c) The borders of the page.
(d) How the type looks on the page.
2. What book does King recommend for grammar study?
(a) Prentice-Hall Handbook of Grammar.
(b) Any good high school grammar text.
(c) Betty Azar's Understanding and Using English Grammar.
(d) Strunk and White's Elements of Style.
3. According to King, which element of a novel is less important than aspiring writers might believe?
4. At what point does King try to add symbolism to his work?
(a) In the second draft.
(b) When it seems to be important to do so.
(c) While editing the novel.
(d) In the first draft.
5. What does King believe is necessary to create strong characters?
(a) The reader should have no problem identifying the good characters from the bad ones.
(b) They should be clearly defined but interesting.
(c) They should be multidimensional.
(d) They should be clearly defined by their actions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are King's feelings on grammar study?
2. What kind of verbs does King recommend be used when writing?
3. From whom does King's uncle inherit something?
4. Another belief of King is that writers have a special need. What is this need?
5. Why does King's uncle carry the whole toolbox with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think King stresses the importance of writing a lot in On Writing?
2. Explain the significance of King's statement that a good writer can become an excellent writer, but a bad writer will always be a bad writer according to King in On Writing.
3. In the chapter, On Writing, King states every writer should have an agent. Why does he believe this to be important?
4. What inference can you make from King's claim in On Writing that a writer should have a specific space in which to work?
5. In the chapter, On Writing, King says some critics of his work claim that he is a hack. What is a hack and what evidence can you find to support the statement that King is a hack?
6. King stated aspiring writers should not use speaker attributes other than said. What are speaker attributes and why would King warn against using them?
7. Why does King believe that adverbs, especially those ending in -ly are unnecessary?
8. In the chapter, On Writing, King says a writer can improve his work by reading. How does the advice given by King 'to read' improve a writer's work?
9. In the chapter, On Writing, King states that writer's retreats and creative writing classes are unnecessary. Why did King consider these opportunities a waste of time?
10. What evidence can you find about King's feelings on Strunk and White's Elements of Style?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)