|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal appears in the image King describes in the second chapter?
(a) A turtle.
(b) A parakeet.
(c) A cat.
(d) A rabbit.
2. Where does King discover horror stories?
(a) At the local theater.
(b) At his aunt and uncle's house.
(c) At the newsstand.
(d) In the school library.
3. What kind of a book is On Writing?
(a) A novel.
(b) A book on writing.
(c) Part biography and part how-to.
(d) A book on writing a biography.
4. What is one of King's last jobs before becoming a full-time writer?
(a) A newspaper reporter.
(b) A worker in a laundry.
(c) A night janitor for his wife's office.
(d) A high school English teacher.
5. King states that writing is a job that includes aspects that are ____.
(c) Void of meaning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one reason for reading the book, On Writing?
2. When does King begin to submit stories to magazines?
3. What number appears in King's image?
4. How did King describe the cloth's appearance in his image?
5. According to King, what are two reasons to write?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you evaluate King's advice to aspiring writers in the chapters, What Writing Is, and Toolbox?
2. King also said 'to not write in fear'. What do you think he means by this statement? Explain in your own words.
3. How did King begin his career as a writer?
4. What evidence can you find about King's feelings on Strunk and White's Elements of Style?
5. What is the theme of the book and of this chapter in On Writing?
6. What is King trying to tell the aspiring writer about finding his voice?
7. Why does King want his readers to put his book down if they are unable to accept that writing is magic?
8. How would some of King's other beliefs about writing increase a reader's pleasure? Explain in your own words.
9. What is the second most important tool according to King?
10. What facts or ideas show the beginnings of King's career as a master of horror?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)