|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the cloth mentioned in King's image located within the image?
(a) Lying on the floor.
(b) Draped over a chair.
(c) Under the cage.
(d) Beside the first object.
2. What is a major theme in the second chapter of King's book?
(a) The importance of studying grammar and vocabulary.
(b) The necessity of studying other authors.
(c) Reasons or motivations for writing.
(d) The writer's life.
3. According to King, who determines what the image in the second chapter looks like?
(a) The translator.
(b) The writer.
(c) The reader.
(d) No one.
4. Where on the animal is something unusual attached?
(a) On its side.
(b) On its foot.
(c) On a collar around its neck.
(d) On its back.
5. What is the first thing King requests in the second chapter that his readers accept about writing?
(a) Writing is magic.
(b) Writing is an exercise.
(c) Writing is creative.
(d) Writing is a way to build on your senses.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does King obtain money from his classmates?
2. King states that writing is a job that includes aspects that are ____.
3. What animal appears in the image King describes in the second chapter?
4. What happens to Carrie several months later after its initial sale?
5. What kind of a book is On Writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things King remembers from his childhood? How might they have affected his writing?
2. As a child, King had many chronic ear and throat infections. How might these illnesses lead King to writing?
3. In what way is the chapter, What Writing Is, different from the usual book on writing?
4. What inferences can you make from King's statement that writing is magic? Explain in your own words.
5. One of King's babysitters was particularly cruel. How might she have affected his later writings?
6. How did King learn to edit his work? Why was this important to the young writer?
7. How did King begin his career as a writer?
8. What are some of the aspects of writing that King is not going to emphasize in the chapter, What Writing Is?
9. How would you summarize the different jobs King had during his early career? How might these jobs have influenced his work?
10. Can you explain how King created the character of Carrie and why he disliked her so?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)