|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the King brothers' newspaper contain?
(a) Stories about family members.
(b) Stories told to King about his family.
(c) Local gossip and family news.
(d) Family and neighborhood news.
2. Where does King discover horror stories?
(a) At the local theater.
(b) At the newsstand.
(c) In the school library.
(d) At his aunt and uncle's house.
3. What is the third specific item King states his book on writing will NOT be?
(a) A book on realism.
(b) A book on horror.
(c) A book on subjectivity.
(d) An instruction handbook.
4. According to King, what is the second condition that, if readers cannot accept, should be a reason to stop reading his book?
(a) That writing is a serious job with inexplicable aspects.
(b) That fame and fortune are fleeting.
(c) That the writing is drudgery.
(d) That writing will probably not make a lot of money for the reader.
5. What animal appears in the image King describes in the second chapter?
(a) A cat.
(b) A turtle.
(c) A parakeet.
(d) A rabbit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one of King's babysitters do to him?
2. How does King's mother die?
3. What is the second specific item King states his book on writing will NOT be about?
4. What kind of stories does King particularly enjoy?
5. According to King, what are two reasons to write?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did King learn to edit his work? Why was this important to the young writer?
2. What facts or ideas show the beginnings of King's career as a master of horror?
3. In a short paper, summarize the main points of King's life as an author.
4. In what ways is the rabbit on the table of symbol of King's belief in magic and telepathy? Explain in your own words.
5. How would you summarize the different jobs King had during his early career? How might these jobs have influenced his work?
6. King believed that writing is telepathy. What is telepathy in the context of this statement?
7. In what way is the chapter, What Writing Is, different from the usual book on writing?
8. Why does King write? Explain in your own words based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is.
9. What relationship is there between writing as a career and writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
10. What inferences can you make from King's statement that writing is magic? Explain in your own words.
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)