|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the cloth mentioned in King's image located within the image?
(a) Under the cage.
(b) Draped over a chair.
(c) Beside the first object.
(d) Lying on the floor.
2. What does King define writing as?
(a) A juxtaposition of words and images.
(b) Visualization of scenes.
(d) The creation of images in a reader's head.
3. .What is the first specific item King states his book on writing will NOT be about?
(a) Theme and plot.
(b) Writing exercises.
(c) Writing mechanics.
4. Where does King get a job to help pay for college?
(a) At Massachusetts Mills and Dye Co.
(b) At Worumbo Mills and Weaving.
(c) At Canon Mills and Mfg. Co.
(d) At West Point Peppermill Mfg Co.
5. How does his writing help King financially?
(a) King's stories never made much, but every little bit helped.
(b) King's writing was a steady, but small source of income.
(c) Often his stories would sell when they were in serious financial trouble.
(d) King's writing didn't really help financially.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does King describe the image in the second chapter the way he does?
2. What happens with the electromagnet experiment?
3. What kind of writing book does King say that he will be not be writing?
4. To which substance is King first addicted as a young man?
5. What is the first object described in the image in the second chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship is there between writing as a career and writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
2. What conclusions can you draw from King's comparison of writing as a career versus writing as a passion? Explain in your own words.
3. In what way is the chapter, What Writing Is, different from the usual book on writing?
4. What facts or ideas show the beginnings of King's career as a master of horror?
5. What are some of the things King remembers from his childhood? How might they have affected his writing?
6. How did King learn to edit his work? Why was this important to the young writer?
7. Can you explain how King created the character of Carrie and why he disliked her so?
8. King was a heavy drinker and addicted to cocaine. He believed that these two elements contributed to his creativity. In terms of the chapter, C.V., do you think his belief was justified? Why or why not?
9. Why does King write? Explain in your own words based on the chapters, C.V., and What Writing Is.
10. What inferences can you make from King's statement that writing is magic? Explain in your own words.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)