|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is rivaling everything that Zissner is saying?
2. How rigid are the lines between proper and improper English usage?
3. Does Zissner believe in the journalism model for good writing?
4. What is a common problem writers have?
5. What does Zissner say is a common desire of every writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. When is it acceptable for a new word to enter the English languages American Heritage Dictionary? Can you give an example?
2. Why is bad to fall into cliches when travel writing?
3. Writers are told to study the market before submitting pieces. Why is this advice irrelevant?
4. Why should exact details be avoided in memoirs? What approach should writers take instead?
5. Why do critics need to be well versed in the art they are writing about?
6. What are some examples of bad writing that has to be read?
7. Should sports writers add their opinions in sports articles?
8. What tense do business writer stend to use that hurts their writing?
9. How much information should a writer gather before writing a piece? Why is it important?
10. Who does Zinsser blame when it comes to focusing on the final prize instead of the work of an article?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When choosing a style of writing, what do you look for first? Do you think about the tone you want to have, the overall feel of the article, the way you want the reader to receive the article? Explain your thought process on approaching style.
Essay Topic 2
Writing as well as you can is hard. What has been the hardest part about writing as well as you could for this class? Was it the editing? The bracketing? Hearing your peers responses or responding to your peers? Evaluate your experience in the class and explain whether it was positive or negative.
Essay Topic 3
How have you heard the Eiffel Tower described? Regardless of whether you've seen it or not, describe it a different way, positive or negative. Avoid cliches.
This section contains 1,495 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)