Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the transaction in writing?
2. How does Zinsser approach unusual words?
3. Chapter 3 is about __________.
4. Can good writing be taught?
5. What is the old view of nonfiction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do writers have a hard time starting at the "true beginning?"
2. Should sports writers add their opinions in sports articles?
3. Why are thesauri so good for brainstorming?
4. What is a good way to learn how to write with humor? How much humor should be used?
5. Who does Zinsser say are the worst writers guilty of clutter?
6. What do all good writers do when it comes to improving?
7. Why is it important for writers to maintain unity throughout a piece? Three things are vitally important.
8. Explain some of the choices that writers have to take when editing?
9. What needs to be described in a travel article?
10. What does Zinsser make of this distinction of fiction versus nonfiction in the literary world?
Timing is important in humor writing because the reader should always be surprised. What is another thing to consider when writing humorously? How does humor evolve? Does it evolve?
When choosing a style of writing, what do you look for first? Do you think about the tone you want to have, the overall feel of the article, the way you want the reader to receive the article? Explain your thought process on approaching style.
Explain the importance of using modern words versus antiquated words in writing. Explain when it would be important to use older words versus more modern words.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)