|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ability do great authors have?
2. What does Zissner think of gimmicky writing?
3. What are some limitations of perfect grammar?
4. Can good writing be taught?
5. What trap do journalists and editors fall into often?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the reader when he or she reads cluttered writing?
2. Why is nonfiction now considered to be literature?
3. What is unity in writing?
4. What are some examples of bad writing that has to be read?
5. Why does Zinsser want writers to cut out ornamental writing?
6. Does Zinsser believe it is important for an author's personality to shine through his or her writing?
7. What political period was the worst as far as bad writing?
8. Why are writers fearful to insert their own opinions, ideas, and judgments in their own writing?
9. Do gimmicks usually work in good writing?
10. When can grammar rules be broken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How have you heard the Eiffel Tower described? Regardless of whether you've seen it or not, describe it a different way, positive or negative. Avoid cliches.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the importance of using modern words versus antiquated words in writing. Explain when it would be important to use older words versus more modern words.
Essay Topic 3
What is the bracket method? Do you find this method useful? Compare it to crossing out.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)