|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other group of people uses euphemisms or fad terms?
2. Does skipping grammar check save a writer time?
3. What are the best aspects of a good story?
4. What are two tools every writer should use?
5. What are the two components of the original Roget's Thesaurus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the major problem with American writing in terms of simplicity?
2. When can grammar rules be broken?
3. Does Zinsser believe it is important for an author's personality to shine through his or her writing?
4. Why is nonfiction now considered to be literature?
5. Why is it important for writers to maintain unity throughout a piece? Three things are vitally important.
6. Why are journalists good about de-cluttering their writing?
7. When is it acceptable for a new word to enter the English languages American Heritage Dictionary? Can you give an example?
8. Why does Zinsser advise against using exclamation points for astonishment?
9. What does the craft of writing consist of?
10. What becomes of a finished article that nobody reads?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Writing as well as you can is hard. What has been the hardest part about writing as well as you could for this class? Was it the editing? The bracketing? Hearing your peers responses or responding to your peers? Evaluate your experience in the class and explain whether it was positive or negative.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the importance of using modern words versus antiquated words in writing. Explain when it would be important to use older words versus more modern words.
Essay Topic 3
Rewrite the following sentence into three good leads: The cat jumped onto the fence.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)