|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has literature transformed into?
2. What is the biggest mistake a writer can make when creating sentences?
3. Why should interview questions be written before the interview?
4. How does a thesaurus help with brainstorming?
5. What are Zissner's feelings about writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the craft of writing consist of?
2. Writers are told to study the market before submitting pieces. Why is this advice irrelevant?
3. In what point of view should a writer start writing? Why?
4. When is it acceptable for a new word to enter the English languages American Heritage Dictionary? Can you give an example?
5. Why are rhythm and sound important in writing? What should writers do to improve this aspect of their writing?
6. Why does Zinsser want writers to cut out ornamental writing?
7. Why do writers have a hard time starting at the "true beginning?"
8. Why are writers fearful to insert their own opinions, ideas, and judgments in their own writing?
9. Why does the English language change all the time? Can you give an example of a language that never changes and why?
10. What is unity in writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How have you heard the Eiffel Tower described? Regardless of whether you've seen it or not, describe it a different way, positive or negative. Avoid cliches.
Essay Topic 2
Rewrite the following sentence into three good leads: The cat jumped onto the fence.
Essay Topic 3
What was your definition of literature before reading this book? Has it changed or is it the same? Explain why or why not.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)