|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the transaction in writing?
2. How does Zinsser approach unusual words?
3. Chapter 3 is about __________.
4. Can good writing be taught?
5. What is the old view of nonfiction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do writers have a hard time starting at the "true beginning?"
2. Should sports writers add their opinions in sports articles?
3. Why are thesauri so good for brainstorming?
4. What is a good way to learn how to write with humor? How much humor should be used?
5. Who does Zinsser say are the worst writers guilty of clutter?
6. What do all good writers do when it comes to improving?
7. Why is it important for writers to maintain unity throughout a piece? Three things are vitally important.
8. Explain some of the choices that writers have to take when editing?
9. What needs to be described in a travel article?
10. What does Zinsser make of this distinction of fiction versus nonfiction in the literary world?
Essay Topic 1
Rewrite the following sentence into three good leads: The cat jumped onto the fence.
Essay Topic 2
What are some interview questions that must always be asked? What should a writer know before going into an interview? Should a writer go in with extensive research on a subject, or just show up with minimal knowledge and learn it all from a pro? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
What was your definition of literature before reading this book? Has it changed or is it the same? Explain why or why not.
This section contains 1,438 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)