|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it important to narrow down a nonfiction piece?
2. A musician must practice scales, and a writer must practice ______________.
3. Can a writer simply write the article with one interview?
4. Who are two authors that Zissner admires for solid writing and ornamentation?
5. What does it convey when anyone says he can write a book if he wanted to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are interviews so important to an article?
2. Why are thesauri so good for brainstorming?
3. What does the craft of writing consist of?
4. Why is nonfiction now considered to be literature?
5. What is unity in writing?
6. What does the surgeon in Chapter 1 think about writing?
7. Does Zinsser believe it is important for an author's personality to shine through his or her writing?
8. Who is the real audience in a piece of writing?
9. When can grammar rules be broken?
10. In what point of view should a writer start writing? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think about Zinsser's attitude towards writing, especially in terms of his reaction to the doctor that loves to write at the beginning of the book? At times it feels as though he is all business and no fun. Do you find writing a chore or a pleasure?
Essay Topic 2
What are some interview questions that must always be asked? What should a writer know before going into an interview? Should a writer go in with extensive research on a subject, or just show up with minimal knowledge and learn it all from a pro? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
What type of writing should not be changed and why? What are some ways to better industry standards, where wording needs to remain uniform?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)