|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a common problem with nonfiction writers?
2. What is the main thing readers think when starting an article?
3. What is the mood or voice in a piece?
4. What is another example of when a person HAS to read bad writing?
5. What is the old view of nonfiction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is nonfiction now considered to be literature?
2. What are Zinsser's thoughts on the writing profession?
3. In what point of view should a writer start writing? Why?
4. Why do writers have a hard time starting at the "true beginning?"
5. Why are thesauri so good for brainstorming?
6. Why is it important for writers to maintain unity throughout a piece? Three things are vitally important.
7. Who is the real audience in a piece of writing?
8. What do all good writers do when it comes to improving?
9. Do gimmicks usually work in good writing?
10. When can grammar rules be broken?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the bracket method? Do you find this method useful? Compare it to crossing out.
Essay Topic 2
Timing is important in humor writing because the reader should always be surprised. What is another thing to consider when writing humorously? How does humor evolve? Does it evolve?
Essay Topic 3
Zinsser says that writers should write from their subconscious to let everything flow, then go back and hammer out all the gritty details. How often do you take this approach? Do you agree with it? Why or why not?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)