|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Zissner's feelings about writing?
2. Where should the writer find his or her words?
3. Can a writer's style be affected to the reader?
4. Can a writer simply write the article with one interview?
5. When can ornamental writing be used as an exception?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zinsser feel about writing when a writer doesn't want to? Why do writers have this luxury?
2. What is a major pitfall of sports writers?
3. Does Zinsser think that scientists can write?
4. What are some examples of bad writing that has to be read?
5. What do all good writers do when it comes to improving?
6. Why does a writer's fear of new subjects keep him from taking original and interesting projects?
7. What are Zinsser's thoughts on the writing profession?
8. When is it acceptable for a new word to enter the English languages American Heritage Dictionary? Can you give an example?
9. Who does Zinsser blame when it comes to focusing on the final prize instead of the work of an article?
10. How do you know when an article is a failure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the bracket method? Do you find this method useful? Compare it to crossing out.
Essay Topic 2
What are some industries that use corporate-speak or jargon in the majority of their writing? Why have these industries continued to use the same type of terrible writing? What can a person in the industry do to change this? Why would they be scared to change the status quo?
Essay Topic 3
What are some interview questions that must always be asked? What should a writer know before going into an interview? Should a writer go in with extensive research on a subject, or just show up with minimal knowledge and learn it all from a pro? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 1,461 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)