|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What attitude should writers embrace towards their editors?
2. Who is rivaling everything that Zissner is saying?
3. What does Zissner say is a common desire of every writer?
4. What gives nonfiction books life?
5. Why is the English language so easy to use when writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do writers have a hard time starting at the "true beginning?"
2. How do you know when an article is a failure?
3. What does the craft of writing consist of?
4. What does the surgeon in Chapter 1 think about writing?
5. When can some writers break grammar rules?
6. Why are interviews so important to an article?
7. Who is the real audience in a piece of writing?
8. How much information should a writer gather before writing a piece? Why is it important?
9. Why are writers fearful to insert their own opinions, ideas, and judgments in their own writing?
10. In what point of view should a writer start writing? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are ways that politicians can better their speech writing style? What are some common political cliches you have heard recently? What is it about cliches that tend to always make it into speeches? Touch on human emotion with your response.
Essay Topic 2
How have you heard the Eiffel Tower described? Regardless of whether you've seen it or not, describe it a different way, positive or negative. Avoid cliches.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the importance of using modern words versus antiquated words in writing. Explain when it would be important to use older words versus more modern words.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)