|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is humor used in writing nonfiction?
(a) It is used to make fun of people without them every knowing.
(b) It is never used. Nonfiction should always be serious.
(c) It is used to bring out points that cannot be made in a straight forward manner.
(d) It is used to practice jokes for stand up comedians.
2. What is the best way to add humor into writing?
(a) Adding asterisks to funny lines.
(b) Making seperate paragraphs that only have the funny line in them.
(c) Making a funny sentence sneak up on a reader to get an unexpected laugh.
(d) Making all funny lines italicized.
3. Why is it important for writers to practice?
(a) Writers dont need to practice, they just need to write.
(b) In order to make daily word counts.
(c) Writing is a craft, much like dancing and painting. All three need to do their thing.
(d) In order to stay ahead of other writers that are also looking for jobs.
4. Writers should always look for ________________.
(a) Things that relate places to another.
(b) People to tell them about a place so they don't have to actually go anywhere.
(c) Making places more accessible to other people.
(d) The unique aspects of a place.
5. What is a misconception about writers and scientists?
(a) Writers are better than scientists.
(b) It is that writers cannot do science and scientists cannot write.
(c) Writers are more creative that scientists.
(d) Scientists are smarter than writers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are writers like painters?
2. What occurs when business writing is bad?
3. Why is it important for writers to stick to industry standards?
4. What is a requirement for good literary criticism?
5. What are Zinsser's four articles of faith to writing well?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Americans scared to write about themselves?
2. What is a good way to learn how to write with humor? How much humor should be used?
3. Why is corporate speak the norm in business writing?
4. What is a major pitfall of sports writers?
5. Explain some of the choices that writers have to take when editing?
6. Does he recommend this level of pride to other writers?
7. What is a strategy to making sure the above choices fit?
8. Why is bad to fall into cliches when travel writing?
9. Why should exact details be avoided in memoirs? What approach should writers take instead?
10. Why is humor the most powerful tool for a nonfiction writer?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)