|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the process of memoir writing do for a writer?
(a) Nothing but write about everything he or she thinks about daily.
(b) It brings back bad memories that the person tried to forget.
(c) It brings up related memories that were pushed into the subconsious.
(d) It forces them to talk to distant relatives they hate.
2. What freedom does he give his students?
(a) The power to decide what to write about, what angle to take, what perspective, and what to cut out.
(b) He lets everyone out early on Fridays.
(c) He doesn't give deadlines, the gives very little guidance, and just lets people write and turn in first drafts.
(d) He doesn't give freedom. He is very demanding of his students.
3. Why doesn't Zinsser teach people how to get published?
(a) He wants people to learn that themselves as part of a growing experience.
(b) He does not want any competition.
(c) Because he doesn't know how to get people published.
(d) Because he doesn't really know what editors want.
4. What happens when writers do not stick to proper grammar rules?
(a) It distracts the readers and show conempt for the language.
(b) It makes readers mad.
(c) It makes readers believe that all writing is bad, and they won't ever read again.
(d) It creates more bad writers.
5. What occurs when business writing is bad?
(a) Customers will go elsewhere to buy their goods and services.
(b) Investors will agree to terms they do not understand.
(c) People will get fired for bad writing.
(d) Executives get fired for pawning off simple writing tasks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Zinsser have for all writers?
2. What is a major problem of business writing?
3. What is the advantage of a writer writing his or her own memoir?
4. Do readers generally like knowing about athletes' personal lives?
5. What is a misconception about writers and scientists?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tense do business writer stend to use that hurts their writing?
2. Why is corporate speak the norm in business writing?
3. Who does Zinsser blame when it comes to focusing on the final prize instead of the work of an article?
4. What needs to be described in a travel article?
5. Does Zinsser think that scientists can write?
6. Why do writers need to develop their own voice? How does writing compare to other art forms?
7. Why should exact details be avoided in memoirs? What approach should writers take instead?
8. Explain some of the choices that writers have to take when editing?
9. Why is humor the most powerful tool for a nonfiction writer?
10. How is taste involved in writing?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)