|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are writers like painters?
(a) Painters start with models and then learn to create in they own way. Writers use formulas then find their own voice.
(b) Writers and painters will destory their work if it is not to their expectations.
(c) Writing isn't like painting at all. Neither has anything in common with the other.
(d) They both have the freedom of creativity with no rules that bind them.
2. What are Zinsser's four articles of faith to writing well?
(a) Brevity, quick turnaround, clever sentences and little humanity.
(b) Simplicity, brevity, busy sentences and proper grammer.
(c) Clarity, simplicity, brevity and humanity.
(d) Clarity, simplicity, elasticity and minimalism.
3. What is a requirement for good literary criticism?
(a) Knowing the subject that the writer wants to write about.
(b) Frequenting the theatre often.
(c) Having a comparitive literature degress.
(d) Subscribing to arts magazines.
4. Is sports writing different from any other form of good writing?
(a) No, good writing is good writing.
(b) Yes, it isn't as important.
(c) No, it is just as good as other writing.
(d) Yes, it isn't as comprehensive.
5. What should writers focus on when writing travel pieces?
(a) Substance and exaggerating adjectives.
(b) Style and substance.
(c) Style and sentence structure.
(d) Information and substance.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zinsser end his travel article that he wrote about Timbuktu?
2. What stops Americans from writing memoirs?
3. What is a general rule for writing about sports?
4. Did Zinsser always want to write?
5. Do criticism writers need to take a stance on a show?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why should writers forget about the final product when they are writing?
2. Why do critics need to be well versed in the art they are writing about?
3. Why is corporate speak the norm in business writing?
4. What is a major pitfall of sports writers?
5. How does Zinsser react when editors want to change too much of his work?
6. What is a good way to learn how to write with humor? How much humor should be used?
7. Why are Americans scared to write about themselves?
8. Who does Zinsser blame when it comes to focusing on the final prize instead of the work of an article?
9. What needs to be described in a travel article?
10. Why is there an attitude that certain people are only meant to learn certain subjects and skills like writing or science?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)