|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the process of memoir writing do for a writer?
(a) It brings up related memories that were pushed into the subconsious.
(b) It forces them to talk to distant relatives they hate.
(c) It brings back bad memories that the person tried to forget.
(d) Nothing but write about everything he or she thinks about daily.
2. What is a memoir?
(a) They are books about other people written by ghostwriters.
(b) They can be about any life experience.
(c) They are fiction peices about real people.
(d) They are stories about immigrants.
3. Does ZInsser give in to his editor's changes?
(a) No. He tends to fight them constantly.
(b) No, and he never gives in.
(c) Yes, they are the editors after all.
(d) Sometimes, only when they are worth it.
4. What stops Americans from writing memoirs?
(a) An attitude to please teachers and not readers.
(b) Memoires don't sell well enough.
(c) People don't like reading memoires.
(d) Editors hate reading memoirs therefore don't pick them up.
5. What is a major problem of business writing?
(a) Using graphs and not labeling them.
(b) Using jargon that only other business people can understand.
(c) Not using proper wording to appeal to the business world.
(d) Using long sentences.
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem does a scientist have when writing about science?
2. Why do criticism writers have to be at a higher level than other writers?
3. What does Zinsser make sure his paragraphs do?
4. What is a general rule for writing about sports?
5. What freedom does he give his students?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do writers need to develop their own voice? How does writing compare to other art forms?
2. Why does a writer's fear of new subjects keep him from taking original and interesting projects?
3. Does he recommend this level of pride to other writers?
4. Why should exact details be avoided in memoirs? What approach should writers take instead?
5. What tense do business writer stend to use that hurts their writing?
6. Who does Zinsser blame when it comes to focusing on the final prize instead of the work of an article?
7. Why is bad to fall into cliches when travel writing?
8. Why are Americans scared to write about themselves?
9. How does Zinsser feel about writing when a writer doesn't want to? Why do writers have this luxury?
10. How does Zinsser react when editors want to change too much of his work?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)