|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What should writers focus on the most?
(a) Their editors.
(b) Their audience.
(c) The final product.
(d) The writing process.
2. What are Zinsser's four articles of faith to writing well?
(a) Brevity, quick turnaround, clever sentences and little humanity.
(b) Simplicity, brevity, busy sentences and proper grammer.
(c) Clarity, simplicity, brevity and humanity.
(d) Clarity, simplicity, elasticity and minimalism.
3. What does the fear cause writers to do?
(a) It will lead to excessively bad writing.
(b) It will make writers stop writing.
(c) It will keep writers away from discovering new subjects.
(d) It will stop the flow of information.
4. What does Zinsser throw away in his writing classes?
(a) Story prompts.
(d) Story webs.
5. What do writers focus on most?
(a) Their audience.
(b) The final product.
(c) The writing process.
(d) Their editors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Did Zinsser always want to write?
2. What happens when writers do not stick to proper grammar rules?
3. Writers should always look for ________________.
4. How does Zinsser create his final products?
5. What do people forget about writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does he recommend this level of pride to other writers?
2. How is taste involved in writing?
3. Should sports writers add their opinions in sports articles?
4. Why is there an attitude that certain people are only meant to learn certain subjects and skills like writing or science?
5. How does Zinsser feel about writing when a writer doesn't want to? Why do writers have this luxury?
6. Why does a writer's fear of new subjects keep him from taking original and interesting projects?
7. Why do writers need to develop their own voice? How does writing compare to other art forms?
8. What is a good way to learn how to write with humor? How much humor should be used?
9. Why is humor the most powerful tool for a nonfiction writer?
10. What are some of the hardest parts of writing about performances?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)