|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Is there room for opinion when writing a sports article?
(a) There is always room for commentary.
(b) Yes. Readers trust sports writers to make sports predictions about their favorite teams.
(c) Absolutely not.
(d) Writers should limit commentary and stick to the stats.
2. What is a misconception about writers and scientists?
(a) Scientists are smarter than writers.
(b) Writers are better than scientists.
(c) Writers are more creative that scientists.
(d) It is that writers cannot do science and scientists cannot write.
3. How does Zinsser end his travel article that he wrote about Timbuktu?
(a) He ends with a joke about how hot it was in the desert.
(b) He ends by telling the truth and stating how satisfied he was with his desert experience.
(c) He repeats his first sentence, throws in a stat about the country, and mentions eveyrone should visit at one point in their life.
(d) He generalizes the story.
4. What is a requirement for good literary criticism?
(a) Knowing the subject that the writer wants to write about.
(b) Frequenting the theatre often.
(c) Subscribing to arts magazines.
(d) Having a comparitive literature degress.
5. What should writers focus on when writing travel pieces?
(a) Substance and exaggerating adjectives.
(b) Style and sentence structure.
(c) Style and substance.
(d) Information and substance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What approach to a place should writers take?
2. Is sports writing different from any other form of good writing?
3. Writers should always look for ________________.
4. How does Zinsser create his final products?
5. What is the advantage of a writer writing his or her own memoir?
Short Essay Questions
1. Should sports writers add their opinions in sports articles?
2. Why do critics need to be well versed in the art they are writing about?
3. What needs to be described in a travel article?
4. Why does a writer's fear of new subjects keep him from taking original and interesting projects?
5. What tense do business writer stend to use that hurts their writing?
6. Why is bad to fall into cliches when travel writing?
7. How does Zinsser feel about writing when a writer doesn't want to? Why do writers have this luxury?
8. What are some of the hardest parts of writing about performances?
9. Explain some of the choices that writers have to take when editing?
10. Does Zinsser think that scientists can write?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)