|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When can ornamental writing be used as an exception?
(a) To follow solid writing.
(b) When the author needs to abide by editors remarks.
(c) When writing evaluations and resumes.
(d) When the wrting needs extra fluff.
2. What is one task that a good writer constantly does?
(a) Takes writing classes often.
(b) Reads contemporary and classic works of other writers.
(c) Sends manuscripts out like crazy.
(d) Participates in writing workshops.
3. How does a writer become better at his craft?
(a) By taking initiative to improve every day.
(b) By reading everything.
(c) By avoiding trashy novels.
(d) By taking a writing class.
4. When should a writer choose the point of view in a piece of writing?
(a) It doesn't matter when the point of view is established.
(b) A writer should determine the point of view before writing a new piece.
(c) THe point of view should be determined once the writing is finished and ready for editing.
(d) The point of view can be determined after the writer figures out who will be the main character.
5. Good writing is ______________.
(a) Seen often.
(b) Very difficult.
(c) Easy to teach.
Short Answer Questions
1. Should exclamation points be used in serious writing?
2. What are Zissner's feelings about writing?
3. Does the author believe good writing is the result of an inherent talent?
4. Why doesn't Zissner provide examples of these writers he admires?
5. Why is nonfiction more popular than fiction?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the craft of writing consist of?
2. What are some examples of bad writing that has to be read?
3. Does Zinsser believe it is important for an author's personality to shine through his or her writing?
4. Why are rhythm and sound important in writing? What should writers do to improve this aspect of their writing?
5. Why are interviews so important to an article?
6. Why are thesauri so good for brainstorming?
7. In what point of view should a writer start writing? Why?
8. Why does the English language change all the time? Can you give an example of a language that never changes and why?
9. What skills does an interviewer need to possess?
10. Why are journalists good about de-cluttering their writing?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)