|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a misconception about writers and scientists?
(a) Writers are more creative that scientists.
(b) Scientists are smarter than writers.
(c) Writers are better than scientists.
(d) It is that writers cannot do science and scientists cannot write.
2. What does Zinsser make sure his paragraphs do?
(a) He makes sure that the last paragraph references all the paragraphs before it.
(b) He proofreads and makes sure the right punctuation is used throughout.
(c) He makes sure each paragraph draws the reader onward through the entire story.
(d) He makes sure they all flow and summarize themselves at the end.
3. What is the best way to add humor into writing?
(a) Making seperate paragraphs that only have the funny line in them.
(b) Adding asterisks to funny lines.
(c) Making all funny lines italicized.
(d) Making a funny sentence sneak up on a reader to get an unexpected laugh.
4. What is a memoir?
(a) They can be about any life experience.
(b) They are fiction peices about real people.
(c) They are books about other people written by ghostwriters.
(d) They are stories about immigrants.
5. Did Zinsser always want to write?
(a) Yes, ever since he was a little boy.
(b) No, it was a random interest.
(c) He always wanted to write for a newspaper.
(d) No, his love of writing came after being deployed.
6. What is a requirement for good literary criticism?
(a) Having a comparitive literature degress.
(b) Frequenting the theatre often.
(c) Knowing the subject that the writer wants to write about.
(d) Subscribing to arts magazines.
7. What is a major problem of business writing?
(a) Not using proper wording to appeal to the business world.
(b) Using long sentences.
(c) Using jargon that only other business people can understand.
(d) Using graphs and not labeling them.
8. Why is it important for writers to practice?
(a) In order to make daily word counts.
(b) In order to stay ahead of other writers that are also looking for jobs.
(c) Writers dont need to practice, they just need to write.
(d) Writing is a craft, much like dancing and painting. All three need to do their thing.
9. What is the biggest fear that nonfiction writers have?
(a) Having people laugh at their article, that wasn't a humorous piece.
(b) Not being able to bring off an assignment and get it dont with any justice.
(c) Not being able to sell their story that they worked so hard on.
(d) Having their computer break, mid story, without having saved a word.
10. What should writers focus on when writing travel pieces?
(a) Substance and exaggerating adjectives.
(b) Information and substance.
(c) Style and substance.
(d) Style and sentence structure.
11. What was the best advice Zinsser ever received about having opinions in writing?
(a) It was to argue both sides of a story.
(b) To never second guess a story.
(c) To always second guess an argument and make a pro and con list.
(d) Take a stand and stick to it. One should never "go peeing down both legs."
12. What happens when writers do not stick to proper grammar rules?
(a) It makes readers believe that all writing is bad, and they won't ever read again.
(b) It makes readers mad.
(c) It creates more bad writers.
(d) It distracts the readers and show conempt for the language.
13. What approach to a place should writers take?
(a) To go around asking the locals questions.
(b) To go within a place and see how it impacts the writer.
(c) Reading other travel pieces and compare them.
(d) Just writing ambiguously.
14. What is the best way to learn to write with humor?
(a) Read other humorous writing and emulate those styles.
(b) Go to comedy shows.
(c) Hang out with funny people.
(d) Practice saying funny things aloud to friends and family.
15. What is different about every writer's voice?
(a) The characters that writers speak through.
(b) The tenses taht a writer chooses.
(c) The sounds of a writers voice when speaking.
(d) Everything. Every writer has a unique voice that needs to be discovered.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does a writer need to start to get his or her voice discovered?
2. Why does this misconception exist?
3. Does ZInsser give in to his editor's changes?
4. What is a second approach Zinsser recommends that complements the first approach mentioned?
5. Does Zinsser ever use humor in his writing?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)