1. What does the surgeon in Chapter 1 think about writing?
He thinks that writing is fun, relaxing, and an enjoyable hobby.
2. What are Zinsser's thoughts on the writing profession?
He believes writing is a lot of hard work, can be very lonely, and tedious at times.
3. Does Zinsser believe it is important for an author's personality to shine through his or her writing?
Yes. He thinks successful writing depends on how much a writer gives of self, rather than just the factual content of writing.
4. Do gimmicks usually work in good writing?
No, only clarity, strength in writing, and solid writing principles work. All of these can be taught and come from the skillful use of the English language.
5. What is the major problem with American writing in terms of simplicity?
American writing isn't simple enough. People have cluttered minds that then translate to cluttered writing. Some people think in unclear ways, and other writers are unsure what they want to say.
This section contains 2,722 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)