|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 23 A Writer's Decision.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the advantage of a writer writing his or her own memoir?
(a) They are lax and impersonal.
(b) The main subject is already known.
(c) The writer does not have to do any interviews.
(d) The writer does not have to pay attention to basic grammar rules.
2. Why do Americans have trouble writing?
(a) They do too much and slack on their writing.
(b) They are bad at fact checking.
(c) Their minds are too cluttered.
(d) They are not complex enough.
3. What is a major problem with humorous writing?
(a) It can never be taken seriously.
(b) It is too hard to be funny in writing and takes a gifted person.
(c) It gets dated, and what is funny in 1980 will not be funny in 2080.
(d) Sarcasm does not come out in writing.
4. What is the best way to add humor into writing?
(a) Making all funny lines italicized.
(b) Making a funny sentence sneak up on a reader to get an unexpected laugh.
(c) Adding asterisks to funny lines.
(d) Making seperate paragraphs that only have the funny line in them.
5. Why does the doctor write?
(a) He writes because he hates being a surgeon.
(b) He writes for fun.
(c) He is writing a book.
(d) He writes to make extra money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Can good writing be taught?
2. When can ornamental writing be used as an exception?
3. What do writers focus on most?
4. What should writers focus on the most?
5. How many people are in the American Heritage Dictionary Usage Panel?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)