|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 16 Business Writing: Writing in Your Job.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much research does Zinsser recommend for an article?
(a) He recommends finding just enough to make a word count.
(b) He recommends finding the bare minimum and bulking an article up with adjectives.
(c) He recommends finding much more information than is needed for the article.
(d) He recommends using at least three full length books for a one page article.
2. How does a writer become better at his craft?
(a) By taking a writing class.
(b) By reading everything.
(c) By taking initiative to improve every day.
(d) By avoiding trashy novels.
3. What is a second approach Zinsser recommends that complements the first approach mentioned?
(a) Never reading other travel pieces, because this adds to cliched writing.
(b) Writing only in the first person, then deciding on a tense later.
(c) Going within people's homes and seeing what they feel about foreigners.
(d) Going outside and finding out how a place impacts others.
4. What should writers focus on when writing travel pieces?
(a) Substance and exaggerating adjectives.
(b) Information and substance.
(c) Style and sentence structure.
(d) Style and substance.
5. Who is rivaling everything that Zissner is saying?
(a) A student in the audience.
(b) The professor of the class.
(c) Another writer.
(d) A doctor who writes for a hobby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives nonfiction books life?
2. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
3. Why does this misconception exist?
4. What are Zinsser's four articles of faith to writing well?
5. What are two tools every writer should use?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)