Part I: Chapter 1 The Transaction
• Writing involves how much to give of one's self in a piece, rather than the factual content of the work.
• If you are not in your writing, nobody will enjoy it.
• Humanity gives nonfiction books life.
• Gimmicks do not work.
• Clarity and solid use of principles are the only things that work.
Part I: Chapter 2 Simplicity
• American writing is not simple.
• Americans think in unclear ways.
• Some writers write without knowing what they are trying to say.
• People underestimate how hard it is to write well.
Part I: Chapter 3 Clutter
• Clutter and euphemisms spoil writing.
• Using brackets identifies clutter and helps people recognize it sooner.
• Journalists need to master uncluttered writing.
• Eliminating clutter helps keep the meaning of the writing clear and worth the reader's time.
Part I: Chapter 4 Style
• Style is brought from the unconscious mind. It is the development of one's...
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)