Part I: Chapter 1 The Transaction
* Writing involves how much to give of one's self in a piece, rather than the factual content of the work.
* If you are not in your writing, nobody will enjoy it.
* Humanity gives nonfiction books life.
* Gimmicks do not work.
* Clarity and solid use of principles are the only things that work.
Part I: Chapter 2 Simplicity
* American writing is not simple.
* Americans think in unclear ways.
* Some writers write without knowing what they are trying to say.
* People underestimate how hard it is to write well.
Part I: Chapter 3 Clutter
* Clutter and euphemisms spoil writing.
* Using brackets identifies clutter and helps people recognize it sooner.
* Journalists need to master uncluttered writing.
* Eliminating clutter helps keep the meaning of the writing clear and worth the reader's time.
Part I: Chapter 4 Style
* Style is brought from the unconscious mind. It is the development of one's...
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)