|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birle hope to accomplish at the marketplace in Chapter 13?
2. What does Birle discover has happened to Orien when she reaches his place?
3. Who is the woman who sits with the Earl in his room?
4. What does Birle request of the Earl and his Lady near the end of Chapter 23?
5. Why does Joaquim save Birle from being taken by Corbel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Birle sees a hand nailed to a board holding a gold coin and she finds out that there is another hand on the other side as well as the heads that go with the hands elsewhere at the marketplace. What do these represent and who are they?
2. Why does Birle reveal to Joaquim that she can read?
3. What changes once Orien is back in the Kingdom?
4. Birle realizes that Corbel, along with being cruel and greedy, is also clever. How is he clever, especially with the throwing of the feast?
5. How do the Lord's sentences seem on Hearing Day?
6. Describe Nan and Birle's meeting.
7. When Orien is injured and Birle rushes to the laboratory, what does she realize?
8. What is decided upon in Chapter 20 of how they will be set free?
9. In Chapter 21, once Orien is well, what differences does he say is in Birle's character?
10. What does Joaquim say to convince Corbel to let Birle continue staying with him, and why does he do it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joaquim, Birle's master in the city, is an interesting character. Analyze and discuss his character. Be sure to mention the differences between him and his brother, his interests, his traits, and his loyalty for Birle and Yul. Use examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Yul is an interesting character who is present for a large portion of the novel. He has a special connection with Birle. Analyze and discuss this connection that they share. How did it start? Could Birle have this kind of connection with anyone else? What do these two go through together? What eventually leads them to separate? Does this mean that their connection is also severed?
Essay Topic 3
There are many characters in the novel that Birle and Orien meet. Choose one character and analyze him/her. Who is this character and what purpose does he/she serve to the story? What is his/her relationship to Birle and Orien?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)