|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens at the end of Chapter 19?
2. What happened to Joaquim's wife?
3. What changes in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21?
4. What saves Birle from Corbel's fate?
5. Where has Corbel gone for the summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Damall's character and who he is.
2. What changes occur in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21 after Birle and Orien have escaped slavery and Orien is now healed?
3. What is Birle grateful for having known?
4. What does Birle come to understand about Gladaegal?
5. How does Corbel see Birle differently now in Chapter 16?
6. In Chapter 21, once Orien is well, what differences does he say is in Birle's character?
7. What does Joaquim say to convince Corbel to let Birle continue staying with him, and why does he do it?
8. Describe Nan and Birle's meeting.
9. What does Birle decide at the end of Chapter 19?
10. What does Birle understand about Nan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many times people take something that has been given to them or something that they have learned for granted. Often times these gifts are taken for granted because people cannot see their true worth. Sometimes one might understand the true value of a gift and sometimes, never. For Birle, the two "treasures" she ultimately finds very useful to have is the ability to read and write. How did she initially feel about being given this treasure by her grandparents and why did she feel this way? Along her journey, how did her views of being able to read and write change? In what instances was it helpful? How does she regard her treasures by the end? Be specific using examples.
Essay Topic 2
The concept of fear is used throughout the book, especially by Corbel. What is fear and how does it control a man? How does a man control it? How does a man use fear as a means of control? Discuss the ideas of fear and control as separate entities and how they work together. Use examples and characters from the book. Mention the times that Birle has been afraid and analyze why. Was it another person who made her afraid or an outside force? Was her fear justified?
Essay Topic 3
The entire novel is told from Birle's point of view. Authors use a certain point of view to achieve a certain mood for the story. What do you think Voigt is trying to achieve in allowing us only Birle's thoughts and views? Why not see Orien's? How might the story have been different if we were to glimpse at what Orien thought. Would our thinking of the events of the book possibly change?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)