|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Joaquim say has fled the city after Corbel's marriage?
2. Why does Joaquim save Birle from being taken by Corbel?
3. What is Yul afraid of when he and Birle go to the marketplace?
4. What does the Earl reveal to Birle in Chapter 23?
5. Who is inside the bundle of dirty clothes that Yul leans against the wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes occur in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21 after Birle and Orien have escaped slavery and Orien is now healed?
2. In Chapter 21, once Orien is well, what differences does he say is in Birle's character?
3. How does Joaquim use Birle's education in reading and writing, and what does this mean for her?
4. What does Birle decide at the end of Chapter 19?
5. Birle sees a hand nailed to a board holding a gold coin and she finds out that there is another hand on the other side as well as the heads that go with the hands elsewhere at the marketplace. What do these represent and who are they?
6. How do the Lord's sentences seem on Hearing Day?
7. What does Birle understand about Nan?
8. Describe the relationship that Birle develops with the Earl.
9. Birle realizes that Corbel, along with being cruel and greedy, is also clever. How is he clever, especially with the throwing of the feast?
10. How does Corbel see Birle differently now in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Birle has an interesting relationship with Nan. Describe who Nan is and how she is related to Birle. What does Birle feel for Nan given their relationship? How does she feel about her in the beginning of the book compared to the end? Throughout the novel, Nan is mentioned or thought of by Birle. Are these thoughts positive or negative? Why is Birle thinking about Nan and what does she owe to Nan? Discuss their relationship and how it has affected Birle's person. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Loyalty is a theme seen within the novel various times. Analyze and discuss the loyalty between one of the following pairs:
1. Birle and Orien.
2. Birle and Joaquim.
3. Birle and Yul.
Essay Topic 3
Many times people take something that has been given to them or something that they have learned for granted. Often times these gifts are taken for granted because people cannot see their true worth. Sometimes one might understand the true value of a gift and sometimes, never. For Birle, the two "treasures" she ultimately finds very useful to have is the ability to read and write. How did she initially feel about being given this treasure by her grandparents and why did she feel this way? Along her journey, how did her views of being able to read and write change? In what instances was it helpful? How does she regard her treasures by the end? Be specific using examples.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)