|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birle tell Yul to do if he is mistreated?
2. What does Birle decide to reveal to Joaquim upon his questioning?
3. How does Orien move about during the escape from the city after Joaquim goes his own way?
4. What does Joaquim tell Birle to hope for?
5. What does Birle tell Yul to do if they get parted at the marketplace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Birle sees a hand nailed to a board holding a gold coin and she finds out that there is another hand on the other side as well as the heads that go with the hands elsewhere at the marketplace. What do these represent and who are they?
2. Birle realizes that Corbel, along with being cruel and greedy, is also clever. How is he clever, especially with the throwing of the feast?
3. In Chapter 21, once Orien is well, what differences does he say is in Birle's character?
4. Who is Lady Fortune and what does Joaquim say about her?
5. What is Birle grateful for having known?
6. What does Birle decide at the end of Chapter 19?
7. How do the Lord's sentences seem on Hearing Day?
8. What does Joaquim say to convince Corbel to let Birle continue staying with him, and why does he do it?
9. Describe Damall's character and who he is.
10. When Orien is injured and Birle rushes to the laboratory, what does she realize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting is extremely important to the novel. Although Birle and Orien are from the Kingdom, they end up many places outside of it. Discuss the importance of setting. What does it accomplish? What is the setting of the novel and what are a few examples of the places Birle and Orien travel to. What is their importance?
Essay Topic 2
Yul is an interesting character who is present for a large portion of the novel. He has a special connection with Birle. Analyze and discuss this connection that they share. How did it start? Could Birle have this kind of connection with anyone else? What do these two go through together? What eventually leads them to separate? Does this mean that their connection is also severed?
Essay Topic 3
Corbel is one of the antagonists in the novel. Discuss and analyze his character. What sort of antagonist is he? What makes up his persona? How do others view him? How does Birle view him? What about Joaquim? Although we do not see Corbel often, why is he an essential character to the plot?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)