|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps Birle on the move while working as a slave?
2. When Birle tells Joaquim of the Kingdom, what does he think of it?
3. Once Orien is well, what happens to him at night?
4. As Birle leaves to go find Orien, who does she run into?
5. What does Birle suggest Orien do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lady Fortune and what does Joaquim say about her?
2. Birle sees a hand nailed to a board holding a gold coin and she finds out that there is another hand on the other side as well as the heads that go with the hands elsewhere at the marketplace. What do these represent and who are they?
3. How does Joaquim use Birle's education in reading and writing, and what does this mean for her?
4. What does Birle decide at the end of Chapter 19?
5. Describe the relationship that Birle develops with the Earl.
6. Describe Birle's work as a slave for Joaquim and what drives her to work so hard.
7. What does Birle come to understand about Gladaegal?
8. Describe the relationship between Joaquim and Birle in Chapter 19.
9. How does Corbel see Birle differently now in Chapter 16?
10. What is Birle grateful for having known?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family is an important theme, especially in the beginning of the novel. Both Birle and Orien share stories of their families with one another. What is the importance of family to each character and how has family led them to their journey? How does the idea of a family tie-in to the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Birle and Orien are two very different people. Compare and contrast not only their lifestyles but also their characters. How these two different people manage to get along? Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
There are many characters in the novel that Birle and Orien meet. Choose one character and analyze him/her. Who is this character and what purpose does he/she serve to the story? What is his/her relationship to Birle and Orien?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)