|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day is nearing at the beginning of Chapter 22?
2. What does Joaquim tell Birle will happen eventually in the city because of Corbel's marriage?
3. What does Damall do for Birle, Yul and Orien after meeting them?
4. What blocks the path of Birle, Yul, and Orien as they are escaping the city?
5. Where has Corbel gone for the summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Birle sees a hand nailed to a board holding a gold coin and she finds out that there is another hand on the other side as well as the heads that go with the hands elsewhere at the marketplace. What do these represent and who are they?
2. What changes once Orien is back in the Kingdom?
3. How does Joaquim use Birle's education in reading and writing, and what does this mean for her?
4. How does Corbel see Birle differently now in Chapter 16?
5. Who is Lady Fortune and what does Joaquim say about her?
6. Describe the relationship that Birle develops with the Earl.
7. When Orien is injured and Birle rushes to the laboratory, what does she realize?
8. In Chapter 21, once Orien is well, what differences does he say is in Birle's character?
9. What does Birle understand about Nan?
10. What sort of reputation has Birle earned in Chapter 17 amongst the people of the city while being a slave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting is extremely important to the novel. Although Birle and Orien are from the Kingdom, they end up many places outside of it. Discuss the importance of setting. What does it accomplish? What is the setting of the novel and what are a few examples of the places Birle and Orien travel to. What is their importance?
Essay Topic 2
Birle and Orien are the novel's two main character who journey together and face many obstacles both together and separately. Analyze their relationship and discuss the dynamics of it. In the beginning, what sort of relationship do they have? How does Birle feel for Orien? How does Orien feel for Birle? What does their relationship evolve into, and how? Do you see it coming? Have any feelings changed? Has the relationship changed? How? What events lead to the decisions in the end? Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Birle wants control of her own life and situations, but she continually feels that fortune has a hand in everything. Joaquim even says "There are some who say that the Lady Fortune has a wheel , and all men are fixed upon it. The wheel turns, the men rise or fall, with the turning of the wheel." What does Joaquim mean with this statement? Who is Lady Fortune and how does it relate to Birle's view of fortune? How does fortune take away Birle's control?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)