|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birle convince Joaquim to do at the beginning of Chapter 19?
2. Why does Joaquim save Birle from being taken by Corbel?
3. What can Nan tell about Birle without her saying anything?
4. What changes in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21?
5. What does Yul do to give alert to Birle in Chapter 19 during their escape from the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nan and Birle's meeting.
2. When Orien is injured and Birle rushes to the laboratory, what does she realize?
3. How is Birle's life now in Chapter 15, living with Joaquim?
4. Why does Birle reveal to Joaquim that she can read?
5. What sort of reputation has Birle earned in Chapter 17 amongst the people of the city while being a slave?
6. Describe Damall's character and who he is.
7. In Chapter 21, once Orien is well, what differences does he say is in Birle's character?
8. Birle sees a hand nailed to a board holding a gold coin and she finds out that there is another hand on the other side as well as the heads that go with the hands elsewhere at the marketplace. What do these represent and who are they?
9. What does Birle understand about Nan?
10. What is Birle grateful for having known?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Birle and Orien are two very different people. Compare and contrast not only their lifestyles but also their characters. How these two different people manage to get along? Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Birle wants control of her own life and situations, but she continually feels that fortune has a hand in everything. Joaquim even says "There are some who say that the Lady Fortune has a wheel , and all men are fixed upon it. The wheel turns, the men rise or fall, with the turning of the wheel." What does Joaquim mean with this statement? Who is Lady Fortune and how does it relate to Birle's view of fortune? How does fortune take away Birle's control?
Essay Topic 3
Birle and Orien are the novel's two main character who journey together and face many obstacles both together and separately. Analyze their relationship and discuss the dynamics of it. In the beginning, what sort of relationship do they have? How does Birle feel for Orien? How does Orien feel for Birle? What does their relationship evolve into, and how? Do you see it coming? Have any feelings changed? Has the relationship changed? How? What events lead to the decisions in the end? Use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)