|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Birle and Joaquim plan to leave the city?
2. Who does Birle learn that the hands belong to?
3. What does Birle tell Yul to do if they get parted at the marketplace?
4. What do the nailed hands represent?
5. What surprises Orien about Hearing Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Birle reveal to Joaquim that she can read?
2. Birle realizes that Corbel, along with being cruel and greedy, is also clever. How is he clever, especially with the throwing of the feast?
3. What does Birle come to understand about Gladaegal?
4. What does Joaquim say to convince Corbel to let Birle continue staying with him, and why does he do it?
5. Describe the relationship that Birle develops with the Earl.
6. What is Birle grateful for having known?
7. Who is Lady Fortune and what does Joaquim say about her?
8. Describe Damall's character and who he is.
9. What changes once Orien is back in the Kingdom?
10. Describe Nan and Birle's meeting.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel has several literary elements that make up the story. Pick five elements (such as setting, conflict, etc.) and briefly describe how it relates to the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Birle had the chance to live an easy life with no work as a Lady. In the beginning, she had wanted the escape from her Inn duties but it seems that at the end, she has changed her mind. What has brought this change about? Why does she refuse the life of a Lady and go back to one where she must do all the work herself? What are her reasons for leaving Orien and not telling him? Is she right to do so? How is she finally taking control of her Fortune's Wheel with this decision?
Essay Topic 3
There are many characters in the novel that Birle and Orien meet. Choose one character and analyze him/her. Who is this character and what purpose does he/she serve to the story? What is his/her relationship to Birle and Orien?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)