|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Orien's brother greet him?
2. If someone asked Birle who she was, what would she be most likely to answer in Chapter 22?
3. What does Joaquim teach Yul how to do?
4. What does Birle hope to accomplish at the marketplace in Chapter 13?
5. Who is inside the bundle of dirty clothes that Yul leans against the wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joaquim use Birle's education in reading and writing, and what does this mean for her?
2. What sort of reputation has Birle earned in Chapter 17 amongst the people of the city while being a slave?
3. Describe Nan and Birle's meeting.
4. What does Birle decide at the end of Chapter 19?
5. How do the Lord's sentences seem on Hearing Day?
6. What does Birle come to understand about Gladaegal?
7. How is Birle's life now in Chapter 15, living with Joaquim?
8. What is Birle grateful for having known?
9. What is decided upon in Chapter 20 of how they will be set free?
10. How does Corbel see Birle differently now in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many characters in the novel that Birle and Orien meet. Choose one character and analyze him/her. Who is this character and what purpose does he/she serve to the story? What is his/her relationship to Birle and Orien?
Essay Topic 2
Birle has an interesting relationship with Nan. Describe who Nan is and how she is related to Birle. What does Birle feel for Nan given their relationship? How does she feel about her in the beginning of the book compared to the end? Throughout the novel, Nan is mentioned or thought of by Birle. Are these thoughts positive or negative? Why is Birle thinking about Nan and what does she owe to Nan? Discuss their relationship and how it has affected Birle's person. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The setting is extremely important to the novel. Although Birle and Orien are from the Kingdom, they end up many places outside of it. Discuss the importance of setting. What does it accomplish? What is the setting of the novel and what are a few examples of the places Birle and Orien travel to. What is their importance?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)