|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birle realize after seeing Orien disappear after he sees her?
2. What does Birle convince Joaquim to do at the beginning of Chapter 19?
3. Why does Damall not want to let Birle, Yul, and Orien go free just yet in Chapter 20?
4. What does Damall do for Birle, Yul and Orien after meeting them?
5. What surprises Orien about Hearing Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Birle's work as a slave for Joaquim and what drives her to work so hard.
2. What does Joaquim say to convince Corbel to let Birle continue staying with him, and why does he do it?
3. Describe Nan and Birle's meeting.
4. Describe Damall's character and who he is.
5. What changes once Orien is back in the Kingdom?
6. What does Birle come to understand about Gladaegal?
7. Describe the relationship between Joaquim and Birle in Chapter 19.
8. What is decided upon in Chapter 20 of how they will be set free?
9. What does Birle understand about Nan?
10. What is Birle grateful for having known?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joaquim, Birle's master in the city, is an interesting character. Analyze and discuss his character. Be sure to mention the differences between him and his brother, his interests, his traits, and his loyalty for Birle and Yul. Use examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
The concept of fear is used throughout the book, especially by Corbel. What is fear and how does it control a man? How does a man control it? How does a man use fear as a means of control? Discuss the ideas of fear and control as separate entities and how they work together. Use examples and characters from the book. Mention the times that Birle has been afraid and analyze why. Was it another person who made her afraid or an outside force? Was her fear justified?
Essay Topic 3
Birle and Orien are two very different people. Compare and contrast not only their lifestyles but also their characters. How these two different people manage to get along? Use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)