|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birle name her daughter?
2. What does Birle hope to accomplish at the marketplace in Chapter 13?
3. What blocks the path of Birle, Yul, and Orien as they are escaping the city?
4. How does Damall suggest Birle leave?
5. What does Birle request of the Earl and his Lady near the end of Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Joaquim and Birle in Chapter 19.
2. Describe Damall's character and who he is.
3. What is decided upon in Chapter 20 of how they will be set free?
4. What changes occur in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21 after Birle and Orien have escaped slavery and Orien is now healed?
5. What does Birle come to understand about Gladaegal?
6. What changes once Orien is back in the Kingdom?
7. What is Birle grateful for having known?
8. Birle realizes that Corbel, along with being cruel and greedy, is also clever. How is he clever, especially with the throwing of the feast?
9. Birle sees a hand nailed to a board holding a gold coin and she finds out that there is another hand on the other side as well as the heads that go with the hands elsewhere at the marketplace. What do these represent and who are they?
10. What does Birle understand about Nan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Birle wants control of her own life and situations, but she continually feels that fortune has a hand in everything. Joaquim even says "There are some who say that the Lady Fortune has a wheel , and all men are fixed upon it. The wheel turns, the men rise or fall, with the turning of the wheel." What does Joaquim mean with this statement? Who is Lady Fortune and how does it relate to Birle's view of fortune? How does fortune take away Birle's control?
Essay Topic 2
Loyalty is a theme seen within the novel various times. Analyze and discuss the loyalty between one of the following pairs:
1. Birle and Orien.
2. Birle and Joaquim.
3. Birle and Yul.
Essay Topic 3
The concept of fear is used throughout the book, especially by Corbel. What is fear and how does it control a man? How does a man control it? How does a man use fear as a means of control? Discuss the ideas of fear and control as separate entities and how they work together. Use examples and characters from the book. Mention the times that Birle has been afraid and analyze why. Was it another person who made her afraid or an outside force? Was her fear justified?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)