|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Orien's brother greet him?
2. What does Damall suggest as a deal to Birle in Chapter 20?
3. What does Birle decide to reveal to Joaquim upon his questioning?
4. What does Joaquim tell Birle will happen eventually in the city because of Corbel's marriage?
5. Why is the Earl (Orien's grandfather) initially impatient with Birle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joaquim use Birle's education in reading and writing, and what does this mean for her?
2. What does Birle understand about Nan?
3. What changes occur in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21 after Birle and Orien have escaped slavery and Orien is now healed?
4. How does Corbel see Birle differently now in Chapter 16?
5. How do the Lord's sentences seem on Hearing Day?
6. Describe the relationship between Joaquim and Birle in Chapter 19.
7. What changes once Orien is back in the Kingdom?
8. What does Joaquim say to convince Corbel to let Birle continue staying with him, and why does he do it?
9. Birle sees a hand nailed to a board holding a gold coin and she finds out that there is another hand on the other side as well as the heads that go with the hands elsewhere at the marketplace. What do these represent and who are they?
10. What does Birle come to understand about Gladaegal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Birle wants control of her own life and situations, but she continually feels that fortune has a hand in everything. Joaquim even says "There are some who say that the Lady Fortune has a wheel , and all men are fixed upon it. The wheel turns, the men rise or fall, with the turning of the wheel." What does Joaquim mean with this statement? Who is Lady Fortune and how does it relate to Birle's view of fortune? How does fortune take away Birle's control?
Essay Topic 2
Loyalty is a theme seen within the novel various times. Analyze and discuss the loyalty between one of the following pairs:
1. Birle and Orien.
2. Birle and Joaquim.
3. Birle and Yul.
Essay Topic 3
Corbel is one of the antagonists in the novel. Discuss and analyze his character. What sort of antagonist is he? What makes up his persona? How do others view him? How does Birle view him? What about Joaquim? Although we do not see Corbel often, why is he an essential character to the plot?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)