|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Corbel get angry with Birle?
2. What does Joaquim teach Yul how to do?
3. What does Damall do for Birle, Yul and Orien after meeting them?
4. Once Orien is well, what happens to him at night?
5. What does Birle hope to accomplish at the marketplace in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lady Fortune and what does Joaquim say about her?
2. What does Birle decide at the end of Chapter 19?
3. In Chapter 21, once Orien is well, what differences does he say is in Birle's character?
4. How is Birle's life now in Chapter 15, living with Joaquim?
5. What changes occur in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21 after Birle and Orien have escaped slavery and Orien is now healed?
6. What changes once Orien is back in the Kingdom?
7. How do the Lord's sentences seem on Hearing Day?
8. What is decided upon in Chapter 20 of how they will be set free?
9. What does Birle understand about Nan?
10. Describe Nan and Birle's meeting.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Birle and Orien are two very different people. Compare and contrast not only their lifestyles but also their characters. How these two different people manage to get along? Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The novel has several literary elements that make up the story. Pick five elements (such as setting, conflict, etc.) and briefly describe how it relates to the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Family is an important theme, especially in the beginning of the novel. Both Birle and Orien share stories of their families with one another. What is the importance of family to each character and how has family led them to their journey? How does the idea of a family tie-in to the end of the novel?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)