|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another thing the Earl reveals to Birle in Chapter 23?
2. What do the nailed hands represent?
3. What is revealed about Corbel's wife, Celinde?
4. What does Joaquim teach Yul how to do?
5. What happens at the end of Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Lord's sentences seem on Hearing Day?
2. How does Joaquim use Birle's education in reading and writing, and what does this mean for her?
3. Why does Birle reveal to Joaquim that she can read?
4. How is Birle's life now in Chapter 15, living with Joaquim?
5. What does Birle decide at the end of Chapter 19?
6. Describe Birle's work as a slave for Joaquim and what drives her to work so hard.
7. What sort of reputation has Birle earned in Chapter 17 amongst the people of the city while being a slave?
8. What changes occur in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21 after Birle and Orien have escaped slavery and Orien is now healed?
9. How does Corbel see Birle differently now in Chapter 16?
10. What changes once Orien is back in the Kingdom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joaquim, Birle's master in the city, is an interesting character. Analyze and discuss his character. Be sure to mention the differences between him and his brother, his interests, his traits, and his loyalty for Birle and Yul. Use examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
The entire novel is told from Birle's point of view. Authors use a certain point of view to achieve a certain mood for the story. What do you think Voigt is trying to achieve in allowing us only Birle's thoughts and views? Why not see Orien's? How might the story have been different if we were to glimpse at what Orien thought. Would our thinking of the events of the book possibly change?
Essay Topic 3
Birle and Orien are two very different people. Compare and contrast not only their lifestyles but also their characters. How these two different people manage to get along? Use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)