|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Orien's brother greet him?
2. How is Corbel's absence an advantage to Joaquim?
3. What does Joaquim announce to Birle near the end of Chapter 18?
4. What happens at the end of Chapter 19?
5. If someone asked Birle who she was, what would she be most likely to answer in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Birle understand about Nan?
2. When Orien is injured and Birle rushes to the laboratory, what does she realize?
3. What does Joaquim say to convince Corbel to let Birle continue staying with him, and why does he do it?
4. In Chapter 21, once Orien is well, what differences does he say is in Birle's character?
5. Describe Damall's character and who he is.
6. Why does Birle reveal to Joaquim that she can read?
7. Birle realizes that Corbel, along with being cruel and greedy, is also clever. How is he clever, especially with the throwing of the feast?
8. What sort of reputation has Birle earned in Chapter 17 amongst the people of the city while being a slave?
9. Describe the relationship that Birle develops with the Earl.
10. Birle sees a hand nailed to a board holding a gold coin and she finds out that there is another hand on the other side as well as the heads that go with the hands elsewhere at the marketplace. What do these represent and who are they?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel has several literary elements that make up the story. Pick five elements (such as setting, conflict, etc.) and briefly describe how it relates to the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Birle and Orien are two very different people. Compare and contrast not only their lifestyles but also their characters. How these two different people manage to get along? Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Yul is an interesting character who is present for a large portion of the novel. He has a special connection with Birle. Analyze and discuss this connection that they share. How did it start? Could Birle have this kind of connection with anyone else? What do these two go through together? What eventually leads them to separate? Does this mean that their connection is also severed?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)