|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens at the end of Chapter 19?
2. What keeps Birle on the move while working as a slave?
3. Once Orien is well, what happens to him at night?
4. As Birle leaves to go find Orien, who does she run into?
5. What does Damall do for Birle, Yul and Orien after meeting them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Birle come to understand about Gladaegal?
2. Describe the relationship between Joaquim and Birle in Chapter 19.
3. How does Joaquim use Birle's education in reading and writing, and what does this mean for her?
4. Who is Lady Fortune and what does Joaquim say about her?
5. Why does Birle reveal to Joaquim that she can read?
6. Describe Birle's work as a slave for Joaquim and what drives her to work so hard.
7. Describe Damall's character and who he is.
8. How does Corbel see Birle differently now in Chapter 16?
9. Describe the relationship that Birle develops with the Earl.
10. How do the Lord's sentences seem on Hearing Day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Yul is an interesting character who is present for a large portion of the novel. He has a special connection with Birle. Analyze and discuss this connection that they share. How did it start? Could Birle have this kind of connection with anyone else? What do these two go through together? What eventually leads them to separate? Does this mean that their connection is also severed?
Essay Topic 2
The novel has several literary elements that make up the story. Pick five elements (such as setting, conflict, etc.) and briefly describe how it relates to the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Loyalty is a theme seen within the novel various times. Analyze and discuss the loyalty between one of the following pairs:
1. Birle and Orien.
2. Birle and Joaquim.
3. Birle and Yul.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)