|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The fact that the man who has stolen the boat has no beard lets Birle realize that he holds what position in society?
2. How many days are Birle and Orien stuck on the rock?
3. How old does Birle discover that the Lord is?
4. Who does Orien wave his arms towards from his location on the rock?
5. What is the first thing our main character is said to have seen in the very beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 2, the mysterious man is asleep while Birle lies awake, yet she is unafraid. What makes her not fear this man?
2. Chapter 2 discusses a brief family background of Birle's. Who is Granda, Gran, Lyss, Da, and Nan and how are they related to Birle?
3. What do the Lord and Birle discuss about second marriages and second wives?
4. Describe Ker and Torson's treatment of Orien and Birle.
5. Describe the encounter between the dog, the Lord, and Birle. What about Birle's character is expressed through her actions?
6. In the beginning of her travels down the river with the Lord, Birle notes differences between him and men that she knows. What are they?
7. For a young girl and an Innkeeper's daughter, Birle displays a very independent nature. Give a few examples of how she displays this in Chapter 1.
8. What do the stranger and Birle discover about each other now that there is light, and how is it different from their initial impressions?
9. Briefly describe what happened with the woman Orien loved.
10. Describe how Birle is treated by the middling man.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of fear is used throughout the book, especially by Corbel. What is fear and how does it control a man? How does a man control it? How does a man use fear as a means of control? Discuss the ideas of fear and control as separate entities and how they work together. Use examples and characters from the book. Mention the times that Birle has been afraid and analyze why. Was it another person who made her afraid or an outside force? Was her fear justified?
Essay Topic 2
Loyalty is a theme seen within the novel various times. Analyze and discuss the loyalty between one of the following pairs:
1. Birle and Orien.
2. Birle and Joaquim.
3. Birle and Yul.
Essay Topic 3
Birle has an interesting relationship with Nan. Describe who Nan is and how she is related to Birle. What does Birle feel for Nan given their relationship? How does she feel about her in the beginning of the book compared to the end? Throughout the novel, Nan is mentioned or thought of by Birle. Are these thoughts positive or negative? Why is Birle thinking about Nan and what does she owe to Nan? Discuss their relationship and how it has affected Birle's person. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)