|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where on the ship is Orien moved to near the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. What is the law for second marriages for commoners?
3. How old does Birle discover that the Lord is?
4. Who chases Birle and the Lord?
5. What does Orien tell Birle without her even asking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some speculations Birle makes about why the Lord is running away from home?
2. In the beginning of her travels down the river with the Lord, Birle notes differences between him and men that she knows. What are they?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 2, the mysterious man is asleep while Birle lies awake, yet she is unafraid. What makes her not fear this man?
4. Where should Birle be in the beginning of Chapter 1 instead of where she is, and why is she not there?
5. Why does Birle keep trying to prolong the time she spends with the Lord, and how does she do this in the beginning of Chapter 5?
6. What tactics does Birle use in attempts to draw out her time spent with the Lord?
7. Chapter 2 discusses a brief family background of Birle's. Who is Granda, Gran, Lyss, Da, and Nan and how are they related to Birle?
8. What do the Lord and Birle discuss about second marriages and second wives?
9. What information do we finally learn about the Lord in Chapter 7? Why did he not reveal his identity sooner?
10. What does the name Corbel seem to stand for, who uses it, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of fear is used throughout the book, especially by Corbel. What is fear and how does it control a man? How does a man control it? How does a man use fear as a means of control? Discuss the ideas of fear and control as separate entities and how they work together. Use examples and characters from the book. Mention the times that Birle has been afraid and analyze why. Was it another person who made her afraid or an outside force? Was her fear justified?
Essay Topic 2
The novel has several literary elements that make up the story. Pick five elements (such as setting, conflict, etc.) and briefly describe how it relates to the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Loyalty is a theme seen within the novel various times. Analyze and discuss the loyalty between one of the following pairs:
1. Birle and Orien.
2. Birle and Joaquim.
3. Birle and Yul.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)