|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who chases Birle and the Lord?
2. When Birle awakens from sleeping on the boat in Chapter 6, what is she met with?
3. Who else does the older man buy?
4. What mistake does Birle make when the Lord pulls out his map?
5. What is the law for second marriages for commoners?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the name Corbel seem to stand for, who uses it, and why?
2. Within Chapter 1, Birle observes the mysterious figure and has a brief encounter with him. What clues lead her to the conclusion that he is a city-man, what options does she rule out, and why?
3. Why does Orien pretend to be like Ker and Torson when the brothers begin to look at Birle as a woman?
4. What new information do we find out about Birle's family and life in Chapter 7?
5. How could the initial encounter between Birle and the thief be described?
6. What do the stranger and Birle discover about each other now that there is light, and how is it different from their initial impressions?
7. Describe how Birle is treated by the middling man.
8. Briefly describe what happened with the woman Orien loved.
9. Chapter 2 discusses a brief family background of Birle's. Who is Granda, Gran, Lyss, Da, and Nan and how are they related to Birle?
10. In the beginning of Chapter 2, the mysterious man is asleep while Birle lies awake, yet she is unafraid. What makes her not fear this man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loyalty is a theme seen within the novel various times. Analyze and discuss the loyalty between one of the following pairs:
1. Birle and Orien.
2. Birle and Joaquim.
3. Birle and Yul.
Essay Topic 2
The concept of fear is used throughout the book, especially by Corbel. What is fear and how does it control a man? How does a man control it? How does a man use fear as a means of control? Discuss the ideas of fear and control as separate entities and how they work together. Use examples and characters from the book. Mention the times that Birle has been afraid and analyze why. Was it another person who made her afraid or an outside force? Was her fear justified?
Essay Topic 3
Birle had the chance to live an easy life with no work as a Lady. In the beginning, she had wanted the escape from her Inn duties but it seems that at the end, she has changed her mind. What has brought this change about? Why does she refuse the life of a Lady and go back to one where she must do all the work herself? What are her reasons for leaving Orien and not telling him? Is she right to do so? How is she finally taking control of her Fortune's Wheel with this decision?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)