|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Birle find out that she will be freed?
2. How does Birle feel when she realizes she will never see the Lord again?
3. Who is Birle's master?
4. What relation do Joaquim and Corbel have?
5. Birle knows that the movement she sees at the beginning of the novel is not a man of the village because of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Corbel's initial appearance and his character.
2. Describe the relationship between Joaquim and Birle in Chapter 19.
3. Why does Orien pretend to be like Ker and Torson when the brothers begin to look at Birle as a woman?
4. What sort of reputation has Birle earned in Chapter 17 amongst the people of the city while being a slave?
5. Describe Ker and Torson's treatment of Orien and Birle.
6. Up until Chapter 6, Birle has more or less played the man's role in catching fish, rowing the boat, and even saving the Lord by slitting a dog's throat. But in this chapter, how does the Lord finally portray traits that are deemed "manly" by society?
7. Who is Lady Fortune and what does Joaquim say about her?
8. What changes occur in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21 after Birle and Orien have escaped slavery and Orien is now healed?
9. In the beginning of Chapter 2, the mysterious man is asleep while Birle lies awake, yet she is unafraid. What makes her not fear this man?
10. Near the end of Chapter 5, the Lord is very sorrowful and then complains about having to sleep in a boat. Briefly describe just what he says and what his words tell us about his character.
Essay Topic 1
From start to finish, Birle has a very independent nature. As the heroine of the novel, is her independence refreshing? Is it appropriate for the time period the novel is set in? How is she independent and what does her independence say about her character? How has this trait helped her or impeded her? How did she develop her independence and has it driven her to make the write or wrong choices? Give several examples from the novel to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Corbel is one of the antagonists in the novel. Discuss and analyze his character. What sort of antagonist is he? What makes up his persona? How do others view him? How does Birle view him? What about Joaquim? Although we do not see Corbel often, why is he an essential character to the plot?
Essay Topic 3
The novel has several literary elements that make up the story. Pick five elements (such as setting, conflict, etc.) and briefly describe how it relates to the novel.
This section contains 2,240 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)