|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Birle when the boat is thrown against the waves?
2. Where on the ship is Orien moved to near the beginning of Chapter 11?
3. What does Birle end up doing as she and the Lord are hiding under their cloaks on the boat?
4. How does the Lord say that men of his stature bathe in the winter?
5. Why does Orien apologize to Birle?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Birle demonstrate her independence and usefulness to the reader and Orien in Chapter 3?
2. Why does Orien pretend to be like Ker and Torson when the brothers begin to look at Birle as a woman?
3. In the beginning of her travels down the river with the Lord, Birle notes differences between him and men that she knows. What are they?
4. Where should Birle be in the beginning of Chapter 1 instead of where she is, and why is she not there?
5. Why does Birle keep trying to prolong the time she spends with the Lord, and how does she do this in the beginning of Chapter 5?
6. Describe Corbel's initial appearance and his character.
7. What new information do we find out about Birle's family and life in Chapter 7?
8. Briefly describe what happened with the woman Orien loved.
9. Why does Birle agree to marry Muir, and how does she feel about the wedding near the end of Chapter 2?
10. What are some speculations Birle makes about why the Lord is running away from home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Birle wants control of her own life and situations, but she continually feels that fortune has a hand in everything. Joaquim even says "There are some who say that the Lady Fortune has a wheel , and all men are fixed upon it. The wheel turns, the men rise or fall, with the turning of the wheel." What does Joaquim mean with this statement? Who is Lady Fortune and how does it relate to Birle's view of fortune? How does fortune take away Birle's control?
Essay Topic 2
Corbel is one of the antagonists in the novel. Discuss and analyze his character. What sort of antagonist is he? What makes up his persona? How do others view him? How does Birle view him? What about Joaquim? Although we do not see Corbel often, why is he an essential character to the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Birle has an interesting relationship with Nan. Describe who Nan is and how she is related to Birle. What does Birle feel for Nan given their relationship? How does she feel about her in the beginning of the book compared to the end? Throughout the novel, Nan is mentioned or thought of by Birle. Are these thoughts positive or negative? Why is Birle thinking about Nan and what does she owe to Nan? Discuss their relationship and how it has affected Birle's person. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)