|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About whom do Birle and Orien tell stories, all with different plots?
2. Birle knows that the movement she sees at the beginning of the novel is not a man of the village because of what?
3. What aspect of human nature is exemplified by Birle in this first chapter?
4. What happened to Birle's mother?
5. How does Birle know that the mysterious figure is not a robber?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the encounter between the dog, the Lord, and Birle. What about Birle's character is expressed through her actions?
2. In the beginning of her travels down the river with the Lord, Birle notes differences between him and men that she knows. What are they?
3. What do Ker and Torson say when Orien tells them of his heritage, and where he and Birle are from?
4. Up until Chapter 6, Birle has more or less played the man's role in catching fish, rowing the boat, and even saving the Lord by slitting a dog's throat. But in this chapter, how does the Lord finally portray traits that are deemed "manly" by society?
5. Describe Ker and Torson's treatment of Orien and Birle.
6. Briefly describe the discussion about Doubt that the Lord and Birle have.
7. Why did Birle used to shirk from her inn duties?
8. Where should Birle be in the beginning of Chapter 1 instead of where she is, and why is she not there?
9. What information do we finally learn about the Lord in Chapter 7? Why did he not reveal his identity sooner?
10. What convinces the Lord to accept Birle as a traveling companion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Birle and Orien are the novel's two main character who journey together and face many obstacles both together and separately. Analyze their relationship and discuss the dynamics of it. In the beginning, what sort of relationship do they have? How does Birle feel for Orien? How does Orien feel for Birle? What does their relationship evolve into, and how? Do you see it coming? Have any feelings changed? Has the relationship changed? How? What events lead to the decisions in the end? Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Both Birle and Orien are runaways, but both have different reasons for running away. What are Birle's reasons? What are Orien's reasons? Are their reasons valid for running away? Take a look at all that has happened to them because they chose to run away. Could it all have been avoided if they remained where they were? If they had not run away, what might have become of them?
Essay Topic 3
Birle wants control of her own life and situations, but she continually feels that fortune has a hand in everything. Joaquim even says "There are some who say that the Lady Fortune has a wheel , and all men are fixed upon it. The wheel turns, the men rise or fall, with the turning of the wheel." What does Joaquim mean with this statement? Who is Lady Fortune and how does it relate to Birle's view of fortune? How does fortune take away Birle's control?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)