|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Birle's goal in regards to the thief and the boat?
2. To whom is Orien sold?
3. What mistake does Birle make when the Lord pulls out his map?
4. When the Lord begins talking about unjust Lords, what does Birle begin to suspect?
5. What happened to Birle's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information do we finally learn about the Lord in Chapter 7? Why did he not reveal his identity sooner?
2. Briefly describe the discussion about Doubt that the Lord and Birle have.
3. What are the "treasures" Birle's grandparents bestow upon her and why are they so important?
4. What are some speculations Birle makes about why the Lord is running away from home?
5. Describe how Birle is treated by the middling man.
6. What leads Birle to suspect that perhaps the Lord might have committed a wrongdoing against another Lord?
7. What tactics does Birle use in attempts to draw out her time spent with the Lord?
8. Name a few differences in lifestyle between Birle and Orien that they mention.
9. What does the name Corbel seem to stand for, who uses it, and why?
10. Where should Birle be in the beginning of Chapter 1 instead of where she is, and why is she not there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Birle has an interesting relationship with Nan. Describe who Nan is and how she is related to Birle. What does Birle feel for Nan given their relationship? How does she feel about her in the beginning of the book compared to the end? Throughout the novel, Nan is mentioned or thought of by Birle. Are these thoughts positive or negative? Why is Birle thinking about Nan and what does she owe to Nan? Discuss their relationship and how it has affected Birle's person. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Both Birle and Orien are runaways, but both have different reasons for running away. What are Birle's reasons? What are Orien's reasons? Are their reasons valid for running away? Take a look at all that has happened to them because they chose to run away. Could it all have been avoided if they remained where they were? If they had not run away, what might have become of them?
Essay Topic 3
Loyalty is a theme seen within the novel various times. Analyze and discuss the loyalty between one of the following pairs:
1. Birle and Orien.
2. Birle and Joaquim.
3. Birle and Yul.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)