|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What alerts the mysterious figure to Birle's presence?
2. Who else does the older man buy?
3. How does Birle feel at the thought of marrying Muir?
4. What happened to Birle's mother?
5. What happens to Birle when the boat is thrown against the waves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ker and Torson say when Orien tells them of his heritage, and where he and Birle are from?
2. How could the initial encounter between Birle and the thief be described?
3. Describe Corbel's initial appearance and his character.
4. In the beginning of her travels down the river with the Lord, Birle notes differences between him and men that she knows. What are they?
5. Why does Birle keep trying to prolong the time she spends with the Lord, and how does she do this in the beginning of Chapter 5?
6. Joaquim and Corbel are brothers, yet they are vastly different. Briefly describe their differences and mention why Corbel keeps Joaquim around.
7. Why does Orien pretend to be like Ker and Torson when the brothers begin to look at Birle as a woman?
8. Near the end of Chapter 5, the Lord is very sorrowful and then complains about having to sleep in a boat. Briefly describe just what he says and what his words tell us about his character.
9. Why does Birle agree to marry Muir, and how does she feel about the wedding near the end of Chapter 2?
10. Describe the encounter between the dog, the Lord, and Birle. What about Birle's character is expressed through her actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many times people take something that has been given to them or something that they have learned for granted. Often times these gifts are taken for granted because people cannot see their true worth. Sometimes one might understand the true value of a gift and sometimes, never. For Birle, the two "treasures" she ultimately finds very useful to have is the ability to read and write. How did she initially feel about being given this treasure by her grandparents and why did she feel this way? Along her journey, how did her views of being able to read and write change? In what instances was it helpful? How does she regard her treasures by the end? Be specific using examples.
Essay Topic 2
There are many characters in the novel that Birle and Orien meet. Choose one character and analyze him/her. Who is this character and what purpose does he/she serve to the story? What is his/her relationship to Birle and Orien?
Essay Topic 3
Birle and Orien are two very different people. Compare and contrast not only their lifestyles but also their characters. How these two different people manage to get along? Use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)