|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing our main character is said to have seen in the very beginning of the novel?
2. What happens to Birle when the boat is thrown against the waves?
3. Why does the Lord agree to take Birle with him on his journey?
4. What is Da's reason for protesting against Birle's engagement to Muir?
5. What does Birle conclude that the mysterious figure is after he spots her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter 2 discusses a brief family background of Birle's. Who is Granda, Gran, Lyss, Da, and Nan and how are they related to Birle?
2. What are the "treasures" Birle's grandparents bestow upon her and why are they so important?
3. What convinces the Lord to accept Birle as a traveling companion?
4. Describe how Birle is treated by the middling man.
5. Briefly describe the discussion about Doubt that the Lord and Birle have.
6. Describe the encounter between the dog, the Lord, and Birle. What about Birle's character is expressed through her actions?
7. In the beginning of Chapter 2, the mysterious man is asleep while Birle lies awake, yet she is unafraid. What makes her not fear this man?
8. What tactics does Birle use in attempts to draw out her time spent with the Lord?
9. What do the stranger and Birle discover about each other now that there is light, and how is it different from their initial impressions?
10. Within Chapter 1, Birle observes the mysterious figure and has a brief encounter with him. What clues lead her to the conclusion that he is a city-man, what options does she rule out, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Corbel is one of the antagonists in the novel. Discuss and analyze his character. What sort of antagonist is he? What makes up his persona? How do others view him? How does Birle view him? What about Joaquim? Although we do not see Corbel often, why is he an essential character to the plot?
Essay Topic 2
The novel has several literary elements that make up the story. Pick five elements (such as setting, conflict, etc.) and briefly describe how it relates to the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Birle and Orien are two very different people. Compare and contrast not only their lifestyles but also their characters. How these two different people manage to get along? Use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)