|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birle carry for the Lord as they begin their journey?
2. What does the Lord tell Birle about the life of a wife of a huntsman?
3. How do the brothers take the news of Orien being an Earl and the idea of the Kingdom?
4. What does Birle say in attempts to convince the Lord to take him with her on his journey?
5. What is discovered about Birle's engagement to Muir?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where should Birle be in the beginning of Chapter 1 instead of where she is, and why is she not there?
2. In the beginning of her travels down the river with the Lord, Birle notes differences between him and men that she knows. What are they?
3. For a young girl and an Innkeeper's daughter, Birle displays a very independent nature. Give a few examples of how she displays this in Chapter 1.
4. Why does Orien pretend to be like Ker and Torson when the brothers begin to look at Birle as a woman?
5. Up until Chapter 6, Birle has more or less played the man's role in catching fish, rowing the boat, and even saving the Lord by slitting a dog's throat. But in this chapter, how does the Lord finally portray traits that are deemed "manly" by society?
6. Describe Corbel's initial appearance and his character.
7. What do the Lord and Birle discuss about second marriages and second wives?
8. Within Chapter 1, Birle observes the mysterious figure and has a brief encounter with him. What clues lead her to the conclusion that he is a city-man, what options does she rule out, and why?
9. How could the initial encounter between Birle and the thief be described?
10. Chapter 2 discusses a brief family background of Birle's. Who is Granda, Gran, Lyss, Da, and Nan and how are they related to Birle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Birle and Orien are the novel's two main character who journey together and face many obstacles both together and separately. Analyze their relationship and discuss the dynamics of it. In the beginning, what sort of relationship do they have? How does Birle feel for Orien? How does Orien feel for Birle? What does their relationship evolve into, and how? Do you see it coming? Have any feelings changed? Has the relationship changed? How? What events lead to the decisions in the end? Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The concept of fear is used throughout the book, especially by Corbel. What is fear and how does it control a man? How does a man control it? How does a man use fear as a means of control? Discuss the ideas of fear and control as separate entities and how they work together. Use examples and characters from the book. Mention the times that Birle has been afraid and analyze why. Was it another person who made her afraid or an outside force? Was her fear justified?
Essay Topic 3
Yul is an interesting character who is present for a large portion of the novel. He has a special connection with Birle. Analyze and discuss this connection that they share. How did it start? Could Birle have this kind of connection with anyone else? What do these two go through together? What eventually leads them to separate? Does this mean that their connection is also severed?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)