|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the brothers take the news of Orien being an Earl and the idea of the Kingdom?
2. What happened to the one woman that Orien loved?
3. What does the Lord confess to Birle once they are safe from the dog and men?
4. About whom do Birle and Orien tell stories, all with different plots?
5. Who is Lyss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the stranger and Birle discover about each other now that there is light, and how is it different from their initial impressions?
2. In the beginning of her travels down the river with the Lord, Birle notes differences between him and men that she knows. What are they?
3. What tactics does Birle use in attempts to draw out her time spent with the Lord?
4. What does the name Corbel seem to stand for, who uses it, and why?
5. What do Ker and Torson say when Orien tells them of his heritage, and where he and Birle are from?
6. Why does Orien pretend to be like Ker and Torson when the brothers begin to look at Birle as a woman?
7. Up until Chapter 6, Birle has more or less played the man's role in catching fish, rowing the boat, and even saving the Lord by slitting a dog's throat. But in this chapter, how does the Lord finally portray traits that are deemed "manly" by society?
8. Describe the encounter between the dog, the Lord, and Birle. What about Birle's character is expressed through her actions?
9. Where should Birle be in the beginning of Chapter 1 instead of where she is, and why is she not there?
10. What do the Lord and Birle discuss about second marriages and second wives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joaquim, Birle's master in the city, is an interesting character. Analyze and discuss his character. Be sure to mention the differences between him and his brother, his interests, his traits, and his loyalty for Birle and Yul. Use examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Family is an important theme, especially in the beginning of the novel. Both Birle and Orien share stories of their families with one another. What is the importance of family to each character and how has family led them to their journey? How does the idea of a family tie-in to the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of fear is used throughout the book, especially by Corbel. What is fear and how does it control a man? How does a man control it? How does a man use fear as a means of control? Discuss the ideas of fear and control as separate entities and how they work together. Use examples and characters from the book. Mention the times that Birle has been afraid and analyze why. Was it another person who made her afraid or an outside force? Was her fear justified?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)