|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of people has Birle heard tales about since childhood, which might speculate as to who this mysterious figure might be?
2. What is Birle forced to do to protect the Lord?
3. What does the Lord think is the truth about his father's death?
4. Who is the only person still wearing the shackles at the beginning of Chapter 11?
5. The man's speech makes Birle think that the thief is possibly a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Lord's sentences seem on Hearing Day?
2. In Chapter 21, once Orien is well, what differences does he say is in Birle's character?
3. What sort of reputation has Birle earned in Chapter 17 amongst the people of the city while being a slave?
4. What does Birle understand about Nan?
5. For a young girl and an Innkeeper's daughter, Birle displays a very independent nature. Give a few examples of how she displays this in Chapter 1.
6. Why does Birle agree to marry Muir, and how does she feel about the wedding near the end of Chapter 2?
7. What does Joaquim say to convince Corbel to let Birle continue staying with him, and why does he do it?
8. Chapter 2 discusses a brief family background of Birle's. Who is Granda, Gran, Lyss, Da, and Nan and how are they related to Birle?
9. Why does Birle keep trying to prolong the time she spends with the Lord, and how does she do this in the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. How does Joaquim use Birle's education in reading and writing, and what does this mean for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Birle had the chance to live an easy life with no work as a Lady. In the beginning, she had wanted the escape from her Inn duties but it seems that at the end, she has changed her mind. What has brought this change about? Why does she refuse the life of a Lady and go back to one where she must do all the work herself? What are her reasons for leaving Orien and not telling him? Is she right to do so? How is she finally taking control of her Fortune's Wheel with this decision?
Essay Topic 2
Both Birle and Orien are runaways, but both have different reasons for running away. What are Birle's reasons? What are Orien's reasons? Are their reasons valid for running away? Take a look at all that has happened to them because they chose to run away. Could it all have been avoided if they remained where they were? If they had not run away, what might have become of them?
Essay Topic 3
Joaquim, Birle's master in the city, is an interesting character. Analyze and discuss his character. Be sure to mention the differences between him and his brother, his interests, his traits, and his loyalty for Birle and Yul. Use examples from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 2,118 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)