|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Lord call Birle every so often?
2. What relation do Joaquim and Corbel have?
3. Who is Lyss?
4. Who is Birle's master?
5. What is put on Birle and Yul to identify them as belonging to Corbel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Corbel's initial appearance and his character.
2. What do the stranger and Birle discover about each other now that there is light, and how is it different from their initial impressions?
3. Why does Orien pretend to be like Ker and Torson when the brothers begin to look at Birle as a woman?
4. Within Chapter 1, Birle observes the mysterious figure and has a brief encounter with him. What clues lead her to the conclusion that he is a city-man, what options does she rule out, and why?
5. What new information do we find out about Birle's family and life in Chapter 7?
6. Describe the encounter between the dog, the Lord, and Birle. What about Birle's character is expressed through her actions?
7. Where should Birle be in the beginning of Chapter 1 instead of where she is, and why is she not there?
8. What do the Lord and Birle discuss about second marriages and second wives?
9. Why does Birle agree to marry Muir, and how does she feel about the wedding near the end of Chapter 2?
10. Describe how Birle is treated by the middling man.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Birle wants control of her own life and situations, but she continually feels that fortune has a hand in everything. Joaquim even says "There are some who say that the Lady Fortune has a wheel , and all men are fixed upon it. The wheel turns, the men rise or fall, with the turning of the wheel." What does Joaquim mean with this statement? Who is Lady Fortune and how does it relate to Birle's view of fortune? How does fortune take away Birle's control?
Essay Topic 2
Corbel is one of the antagonists in the novel. Discuss and analyze his character. What sort of antagonist is he? What makes up his persona? How do others view him? How does Birle view him? What about Joaquim? Although we do not see Corbel often, why is he an essential character to the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Family is an important theme, especially in the beginning of the novel. Both Birle and Orien share stories of their families with one another. What is the importance of family to each character and how has family led them to their journey? How does the idea of a family tie-in to the end of the novel?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)