Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Birle's position in society?
2. What does the Lord think is the truth about his father's death?
3. What about the strange man captures Birle once he awakens in the morning?
4. What is Birle's goal in regards to the thief and the boat?
5. Who tries to buy Birle first?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Birle's life now in Chapter 15, living with Joaquim?
2. Birle sees a hand nailed to a board holding a gold coin and she finds out that there is another hand on the other side as well as the heads that go with the hands elsewhere at the marketplace. What do these represent and who are they?
3. Near the end of Chapter 5, the Lord is very sorrowful and then complains about having to sleep in a boat. Briefly describe just what he says and what his words tell us about his character.
4. What new information do we find out about Birle's family and life in Chapter 7?
5. Describe Nan and Birle's meeting.
6. What do Ker and Torson say when Orien tells them of his heritage, and where he and Birle are from?
7. What are the "treasures" Birle's grandparents bestow upon her and why are they so important?
8. Why did Birle used to shirk from her inn duties?
9. Birle realizes that Corbel, along with being cruel and greedy, is also clever. How is he clever, especially with the throwing of the feast?
10. Who is Lady Fortune and what does Joaquim say about her?
Essay Topic 1
Birle wants control of her own life and situations, but she continually feels that fortune has a hand in everything. Joaquim even says "There are some who say that the Lady Fortune has a wheel , and all men are fixed upon it. The wheel turns, the men rise or fall, with the turning of the wheel." What does Joaquim mean with this statement? Who is Lady Fortune and how does it relate to Birle's view of fortune? How does fortune take away Birle's control?
Essay Topic 2
Birle had the chance to live an easy life with no work as a Lady. In the beginning, she had wanted the escape from her Inn duties but it seems that at the end, she has changed her mind. What has brought this change about? Why does she refuse the life of a Lady and go back to one where she must do all the work herself? What are her reasons for leaving Orien and not telling him? Is she right to do so? How is she finally taking control of her Fortune's Wheel with this decision?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of fear is used throughout the book, especially by Corbel. What is fear and how does it control a man? How does a man control it? How does a man use fear as a means of control? Discuss the ideas of fear and control as separate entities and how they work together. Use examples and characters from the book. Mention the times that Birle has been afraid and analyze why. Was it another person who made her afraid or an outside force? Was her fear justified?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)