|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Birle and the Lord do to keep themselves distracted while stranded on the rock?
2. What story does Birle tell the Lord?
3. What does the Lord think is the truth about his father's death?
4. How does Birle distract the Lord when he says he will take her back to the village?
5. What is the only name by which Birle says she knows of her mother's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Near the end of Chapter 5, the Lord is very sorrowful and then complains about having to sleep in a boat. Briefly describe just what he says and what his words tell us about his character.
2. In the beginning of Chapter 2, the mysterious man is asleep while Birle lies awake, yet she is unafraid. What makes her not fear this man?
3. Why does Birle agree to marry Muir, and how does she feel about the wedding near the end of Chapter 2?
4. For a young girl and an Innkeeper's daughter, Birle displays a very independent nature. Give a few examples of how she displays this in Chapter 1.
5. In the beginning of her travels down the river with the Lord, Birle notes differences between him and men that she knows. What are they?
6. Briefly describe what happened with the woman Orien loved.
7. What does the name Corbel seem to stand for, who uses it, and why?
8. What leads Birle to suspect that perhaps the Lord might have committed a wrongdoing against another Lord?
9. Describe Ker and Torson's treatment of Orien and Birle.
10. What do Ker and Torson say when Orien tells them of his heritage, and where he and Birle are from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joaquim, Birle's master in the city, is an interesting character. Analyze and discuss his character. Be sure to mention the differences between him and his brother, his interests, his traits, and his loyalty for Birle and Yul. Use examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Both Birle and Orien are runaways, but both have different reasons for running away. What are Birle's reasons? What are Orien's reasons? Are their reasons valid for running away? Take a look at all that has happened to them because they chose to run away. Could it all have been avoided if they remained where they were? If they had not run away, what might have become of them?
Essay Topic 3
Family is an important theme, especially in the beginning of the novel. Both Birle and Orien share stories of their families with one another. What is the importance of family to each character and how has family led them to their journey? How does the idea of a family tie-in to the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)