|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Birle convince Joaquim to do at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) Not leave.
(b) Give her more money.
(c) Take the slaves with him.
(d) Free all the slaves.
2. Why does Joaquim save Birle from being taken by Corbel?
(a) She is useful to him.
(b) He is in love with her.
(c) To protect her.
(d) He cares for her like a daughter.
3. Once Orien is well, what happens to him at night?
(a) He is attacked by a dog.
(b) He has nightmares.
(c) He has insomnia.
(d) His wounds hurt.
4. What does Birle hope to accomplish at the marketplace in Chapter 13?
(b) Finding another master.
(c) Seeing Orien.
(d) Purchasing bread.
5. What does Birle suggest Orien do?
(a) Run away to the Philosopher's house.
(b) Stay where he is and she will get him out.
(c) Send a letter to his grandfather.
(d) Run away to the Kingdom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Joaquim say has fled the city after Corbel's marriage?
2. What blocks the path of Birle, Yul, and Orien as they are escaping the city?
3. Why does Orien present Birle with two silver fish?
4. What does Birle tell Yul to do if he is mistreated?
5. What happens at the end of Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Birle's work as a slave for Joaquim and what drives her to work so hard.
2. Birle sees a hand nailed to a board holding a gold coin and she finds out that there is another hand on the other side as well as the heads that go with the hands elsewhere at the marketplace. What do these represent and who are they?
3. Describe the relationship between Joaquim and Birle in Chapter 19.
4. How is Birle's life now in Chapter 15, living with Joaquim?
5. What does Birle come to understand about Gladaegal?
6. What is Birle grateful for having known?
7. How does Corbel see Birle differently now in Chapter 16?
8. Describe Damall's character and who he is.
9. What is decided upon in Chapter 20 of how they will be set free?
10. What does Birle understand about Nan?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)