|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Birle discover has happened to Orien when she reaches his place?
(a) He is sick with fever.
(b) He has already been taken to the mines.
(c) He has already runaway on his own.
(d) His master took him into the army with him.
2. What does Joaquim announce to Birle near the end of Chapter 18?
(a) That he intends to marry her.
(b) That he is leaving the city.
(c) That he has finally achieved alchemy.
(d) That he is really Corbel's father.
3. What does Yul do to give alert to Birle in Chapter 19 during their escape from the city?
(a) Snarl mutely.
(c) Jump up and down.
4. What does Birle do to keep her mind distracted from Orien?
5. How does Damall suggest Birle leave?
(a) In broad daylight.
(b) By carrying Orien on her back.
(c) On a boat down the river.
(d) At night while Yul is sleeping.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Orien about Hearing Day?
2. What can Nan tell about Birle without her saying anything?
3. What saves Birle from Corbel's fate?
4. What do the nailed hands represent?
5. When do Birle and Joaquim plan to leave the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Birle decide at the end of Chapter 19?
2. How do the Lord's sentences seem on Hearing Day?
3. Describe the relationship between Joaquim and Birle in Chapter 19.
4. What sort of reputation has Birle earned in Chapter 17 amongst the people of the city while being a slave?
5. Birle sees a hand nailed to a board holding a gold coin and she finds out that there is another hand on the other side as well as the heads that go with the hands elsewhere at the marketplace. What do these represent and who are they?
6. Who is Lady Fortune and what does Joaquim say about her?
7. Describe Birle's work as a slave for Joaquim and what drives her to work so hard.
8. What does Birle come to understand about Gladaegal?
9. When Orien is injured and Birle rushes to the laboratory, what does she realize?
10. What is Birle grateful for having known?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)