|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What day is nearing at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(a) Hearing Day.
(c) Harvest Day.
(d) The Earl's birthday.
2. What does Joaquim tell Birle will happen eventually in the city because of Corbel's marriage?
(a) A civil battle.
(b) A birth.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A war.
3. When Birle tells Joaquim of the Kingdom, what does he think of it?
(a) He thinks of it as a war-zone kingdom.
(b) He thinks of it as a famine-filled kingdom.
(c) He thinks of it as a magical kingdom.
(d) He thinks of it as a non-existant kingdom.
4. What does Birle decide to reveal to Joaquim upon his questioning?
(a) Her love for Orien.
(b) Her ability to read.
(c) The story of her journey so far.
(d) The fact that she can catch fish easily.
5. As Birle leaves to go find Orien, who does she run into?
(c) The Little Mistress.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Birle taken to be cared for in Chapter 22?
2. What does Yul do to give alert to Birle in Chapter 19 during their escape from the city?
3. Why does Orien present Birle with two silver fish?
4. What is Joaquim's goal?
5. What does Birle warn Orien about when she is finally able to talk with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Birle's work as a slave for Joaquim and what drives her to work so hard.
2. What changes occur in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21 after Birle and Orien have escaped slavery and Orien is now healed?
3. What does Joaquim say to convince Corbel to let Birle continue staying with him, and why does he do it?
4. How do the Lord's sentences seem on Hearing Day?
5. What sort of reputation has Birle earned in Chapter 17 amongst the people of the city while being a slave?
6. Why does Birle reveal to Joaquim that she can read?
7. Describe Damall's character and who he is.
8. When Orien is injured and Birle rushes to the laboratory, what does she realize?
9. Describe the relationship between Joaquim and Birle in Chapter 19.
10. Describe the relationship that Birle develops with the Earl.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)