|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first person of Birle's family to spot her after her return home?
2. What does Joaquim announce to Birle near the end of Chapter 18?
(a) That he is really Corbel's father.
(b) That he intends to marry her.
(c) That he has finally achieved alchemy.
(d) That he is leaving the city.
3. What keeps Birle on the move while working as a slave?
4. What does Birle decide to reveal to Joaquim upon his questioning?
(a) Her love for Orien.
(b) The fact that she can catch fish easily.
(c) Her ability to read.
(d) The story of her journey so far.
5. If someone asked Birle who she was, what would she be most likely to answer in Chapter 22?
(a) Yul's friend.
(b) The Philosopher's maid.
(c) An Innkeeper's Daughter.
(d) Orien's Lady.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birle tell Yul to do if he is mistreated?
2. How does Orien's brother greet him?
3. What does Joaquim tell Birle to hope for?
4. What do the notices around the city state?
5. If people in the Kingdom asked, what was Birle and Orien's cover story for Orien?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Birle grateful for having known?
2. What does Birle understand about Nan?
3. How is Birle's life now in Chapter 15, living with Joaquim?
4. Describe the relationship that Birle develops with the Earl.
5. Describe Damall's character and who he is.
6. Who is Lady Fortune and what does Joaquim say about her?
7. Describe Birle's work as a slave for Joaquim and what drives her to work so hard.
8. What does Birle come to understand about Gladaegal?
9. When Orien is injured and Birle rushes to the laboratory, what does she realize?
10. How does Joaquim use Birle's education in reading and writing, and what does this mean for her?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)