|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Yul afraid of when he and Birle go to the marketplace?
(b) Being killed by those who hate him.
(c) Getting sold to someone else.
(d) Getting separated and lost from her.
2. Why are there two hands nailed to a board?
(a) Because two men cheated Corbel.
(b) Because two slaves tried to escape.
(c) Because two men stole money.
(d) Because two men died defending Corbel.
3. What does Damall do for Birle, Yul and Orien after meeting them?
(a) He has their chains and collars removed.
(b) He has them caged.
(c) He has them returned to Corbel.
(d) He has them taken to the mines.
4. Why does Corbel get angry with Birle?
(a) Because she distracts the soldiers.
(b) Because Joaquim's labratory is dirty.
(c) Because she is dirty.
(d) Because she cannot understand Yul.
5. What does Birle do to keep her mind distracted from Orien?
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Birle and Joaquim plan to leave the city?
2. What is revealed about Corbel's wife, Celinde?
3. Who is the first person of Birle's family to spot her after her return home?
4. What were Nan and Da planning to do with Birle before her wedding to Muir?
5. What day is nearing at the beginning of Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Birle's work as a slave for Joaquim and what drives her to work so hard.
2. What sort of reputation has Birle earned in Chapter 17 amongst the people of the city while being a slave?
3. How does Corbel see Birle differently now in Chapter 16?
4. Describe Nan and Birle's meeting.
5. Birle realizes that Corbel, along with being cruel and greedy, is also clever. How is he clever, especially with the throwing of the feast?
6. What changes occur in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21 after Birle and Orien have escaped slavery and Orien is now healed?
7. What is decided upon in Chapter 20 of how they will be set free?
8. What does Joaquim say to convince Corbel to let Birle continue staying with him, and why does he do it?
9. What does Birle decide at the end of Chapter 19?
10. Describe the relationship between Joaquim and Birle in Chapter 19.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)