|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Orien's brother greet him?
2. What does Birle request of the Earl and his Lady near the end of Chapter 23?
(a) To give birth to her child in the castle.
(b) To wed Orien immediately.
(c) To leave the castle and not return.
(d) To have her family brought to the castle.
3. What does Birle discover has happened to Orien when she reaches his place?
(a) He has already runaway on his own.
(b) He has already been taken to the mines.
(c) His master took him into the army with him.
(d) He is sick with fever.
4. Where has Corbel gone for the summer?
(a) To search for pirates.
(b) To the Kingdom.
(c) Into the service of a prince.
(d) On vacation.
5. To whom is Birle taken to be cared for in Chapter 22?
(a) The maidservants.
(c) Gladaegal's wife.
(d) Orien's grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birle practice in the evenings with Joaquim?
2. How does Orien move about during the escape from the city after Joaquim goes his own way?
3. How long has it been since the beginning of the novel at the point where Birle and Orien finally are reunited during their time in slavery?
4. What is Birle's main goal for going to the marketplace?
5. What does Damall suggest as a deal to Birle in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Birle's work as a slave for Joaquim and what drives her to work so hard.
2. Describe the relationship between Joaquim and Birle in Chapter 19.
3. When Orien is injured and Birle rushes to the laboratory, what does she realize?
4. Describe Nan and Birle's meeting.
5. What changes occur in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21 after Birle and Orien have escaped slavery and Orien is now healed?
6. What changes once Orien is back in the Kingdom?
7. Why does Birle reveal to Joaquim that she can read?
8. Describe the relationship that Birle develops with the Earl.
9. How does Joaquim use Birle's education in reading and writing, and what does this mean for her?
10. What does Birle understand about Nan?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)