|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Birle think she and Orien will be the safest as Orien heals?
(a) Deep into the forest.
(b) By the shore.
(c) Back at the rocks.
(d) At the village they pass.
2. Who does Joaquim say has fled the city after Corbel's marriage?
(b) Corbel's soldiers.
(c) The priests.
(d) The guildsmen.
3. Who does Birle learn that the hands belong to?
(a) Orien and his master.
(b) Ker and Torson.
(c) Corbel's soldiers.
(d) The boy.
4. What does Birle name her daughter?
5. What does Damall suggest as a deal to Birle in Chapter 20?
(a) He keeps Orien and Yul and Birle goes free.
(b) He keeps Orien while Yul and Birle go free.
(c) He keeps Birle while Yul and Orien go free.
(d) He keeps Yul while Birle and Orien go free.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joaquim tell Birle to hope for?
2. To whom is Birle taken to be cared for in Chapter 22?
3. Why does Joaquim save Birle from being taken by Corbel?
4. What does Birle convince Joaquim to do at the beginning of Chapter 19?
5. What is another thing the Earl reveals to Birle in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. Birle sees a hand nailed to a board holding a gold coin and she finds out that there is another hand on the other side as well as the heads that go with the hands elsewhere at the marketplace. What do these represent and who are they?
2. How is Birle's life now in Chapter 15, living with Joaquim?
3. Why does Birle reveal to Joaquim that she can read?
4. Describe the relationship that Birle develops with the Earl.
5. What does Joaquim say to convince Corbel to let Birle continue staying with him, and why does he do it?
6. Describe Damall's character and who he is.
7. What does Birle decide at the end of Chapter 19?
8. Describe the relationship between Joaquim and Birle in Chapter 19.
9. What does Birle come to understand about Gladaegal?
10. What does Birle understand about Nan?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)