|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Damall not want to let Birle, Yul, and Orien go free just yet in Chapter 20?
(a) He wants to use Birle's cleaning skills.
(b) He is wary and is afraid of being betrayed.
(c) He wants Birle to heal one of his men.
(d) He wants to ransom Orien.
2. How long has it been since the beginning of the novel at the point where Birle and Orien finally are reunited during their time in slavery?
(a) Two years.
(b) A year.
(c) Six months.
(d) A few weeks.
3. What does Birle hope to accomplish at the marketplace in Chapter 13?
(a) Finding another master.
(b) Seeing Orien.
(c) Purchasing bread.
4. As Birle leaves to go find Orien, who does she run into?
(c) The Little Mistress.
5. What does Yul do to give alert to Birle in Chapter 19 during their escape from the city?
(a) Snarl mutely.
(b) Jump up and down.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Nan tell about Birle without her saying anything?
2. If people in the Kingdom asked, what was Birle and Orien's cover story for Orien?
3. What keeps Birle on the move while working as a slave?
4. What does Joaquim tell Birle will happen eventually in the city because of Corbel's marriage?
5. What does Joaquim give Birle?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Orien is injured and Birle rushes to the laboratory, what does she realize?
2. How is Birle's life now in Chapter 15, living with Joaquim?
3. What is Birle grateful for having known?
4. What changes once Orien is back in the Kingdom?
5. What sort of reputation has Birle earned in Chapter 17 amongst the people of the city while being a slave?
6. How does Joaquim use Birle's education in reading and writing, and what does this mean for her?
7. Describe Birle's work as a slave for Joaquim and what drives her to work so hard.
8. How do the Lord's sentences seem on Hearing Day?
9. Describe the relationship between Joaquim and Birle in Chapter 19.
10. What is decided upon in Chapter 20 of how they will be set free?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)