|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What saves Birle from Corbel's fate?
(a) Her fighting.
(b) Her education.
(c) Her cooking.
(d) Her crying.
2. What is Birle's main goal for going to the marketplace?
(a) To buy useful household items.
(b) To look for Orien.
(c) To meet new people.
(d) To search for Joaquim's herbs.
3. How does Orien's brother greet him?
4. What does Birle request of the Earl and his Lady near the end of Chapter 23?
(a) To have her family brought to the castle.
(b) To wed Orien immediately.
(c) To give birth to her child in the castle.
(d) To leave the castle and not return.
5. What does Yul do to give alert to Birle in Chapter 19 during their escape from the city?
(c) Jump up and down.
(d) Snarl mutely.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birle do to keep her mind distracted from Orien?
2. To whom is Birle taken to be cared for in Chapter 22?
3. If someone asked Birle who she was, what would she be most likely to answer in Chapter 22?
4. What does Damall do for Birle, Yul and Orien after meeting them?
5. What do the notices around the city state?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes once Orien is back in the Kingdom?
2. Describe Nan and Birle's meeting.
3. Describe Birle's work as a slave for Joaquim and what drives her to work so hard.
4. Birle realizes that Corbel, along with being cruel and greedy, is also clever. How is he clever, especially with the throwing of the feast?
5. When Orien is injured and Birle rushes to the laboratory, what does she realize?
6. What is decided upon in Chapter 20 of how they will be set free?
7. Why does Birle reveal to Joaquim that she can read?
8. What does Birle decide at the end of Chapter 19?
9. What is Birle grateful for having known?
10. Birle sees a hand nailed to a board holding a gold coin and she finds out that there is another hand on the other side as well as the heads that go with the hands elsewhere at the marketplace. What do these represent and who are they?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)