|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can Nan tell about Birle without her saying anything?
(a) That Birle is married.
(b) That Birle is in love.
(c) That Birle broke her own heart.
(d) That Birle is pregnant.
2. What does Birle convince Joaquim to do at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) Give her more money.
(b) Not leave.
(c) Free all the slaves.
(d) Take the slaves with him.
3. Where are Birle and Orien headed in Chapter 21?
(a) To the Kingdom.
(b) To the rock.
(c) Far away.
(d) To the port city.
4. What does the Earl reveal to Birle in Chapter 23?
(a) That he knows who she really is.
(b) That he knew her grandparents.
(c) That he does not think she and Orien suit one another.
(d) That he does not like her.
5. What do the nailed hands represent?
(a) The king's power.
(b) The injustice of slavery.
(c) Corbel's power.
(d) Ker and Torson's slave trade.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is soon known by the people of the city that Birle is what?
2. What does Birle tell Yul to do if he is mistreated?
3. What does Joaquim announce to Birle near the end of Chapter 18?
4. Who is the woman who sits with the Earl in his room?
5. What keeps Birle on the move while working as a slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes once Orien is back in the Kingdom?
2. What is decided upon in Chapter 20 of how they will be set free?
3. Who is Lady Fortune and what does Joaquim say about her?
4. What does Birle understand about Nan?
5. How do the Lord's sentences seem on Hearing Day?
6. How does Corbel see Birle differently now in Chapter 16?
7. What is Birle grateful for having known?
8. Why does Birle reveal to Joaquim that she can read?
9. Describe the relationship between Joaquim and Birle in Chapter 19.
10. Birle sees a hand nailed to a board holding a gold coin and she finds out that there is another hand on the other side as well as the heads that go with the hands elsewhere at the marketplace. What do these represent and who are they?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)