|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Birle tell Yul to do if he is mistreated?
(a) Stomp on Damall.
(b) Refuse to eat.
(c) Run away.
(d) Crush Damall's head.
2. What does Joaquim tell Birle will happen eventually in the city because of Corbel's marriage?
(a) A birth.
(b) A wedding.
(c) A war.
(d) A civil battle.
3. What does Damall do for Birle, Yul and Orien after meeting them?
(a) He has them taken to the mines.
(b) He has them caged.
(c) He has their chains and collars removed.
(d) He has them returned to Corbel.
4. What is Yul afraid of when he and Birle go to the marketplace?
(a) Getting sold to someone else.
(b) Getting separated and lost from her.
(c) Being killed by those who hate him.
5. What is Joaquim's goal?
(a) To transmute other metals into gold.
(b) To write a book of herbs.
(c) To grow a herb garden.
(d) To transmute anything into gold.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joaquim tell Birle to hope for?
2. What is another thing the Earl reveals to Birle in Chapter 23?
3. What is revealed about Corbel's wife, Celinde?
4. Where are Birle and Orien headed in Chapter 21?
5. What saves Birle from Corbel's fate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Birle's life now in Chapter 15, living with Joaquim?
2. What sort of reputation has Birle earned in Chapter 17 amongst the people of the city while being a slave?
3. What changes occur in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21 after Birle and Orien have escaped slavery and Orien is now healed?
4. Describe Nan and Birle's meeting.
5. Describe the relationship between Joaquim and Birle in Chapter 19.
6. How does Corbel see Birle differently now in Chapter 16?
7. When Orien is injured and Birle rushes to the laboratory, what does she realize?
8. What does Birle come to understand about Gladaegal?
9. Birle sees a hand nailed to a board holding a gold coin and she finds out that there is another hand on the other side as well as the heads that go with the hands elsewhere at the marketplace. What do these represent and who are they?
10. What does Birle understand about Nan?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)