|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Birle learn that the hands belong to?
(a) Orien and his master.
(b) Ker and Torson.
(c) The boy.
(d) Corbel's soldiers.
2. What does Joaquim tell Birle will happen eventually in the city because of Corbel's marriage?
(a) A civil battle.
(b) A war.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A birth.
3. What does Birle tell Yul to do if they get parted at the marketplace?
(a) To look for her.
(b) To stand still.
(c) To call out her name.
(d) To go back home.
4. Where are Birle and Orien headed in Chapter 21?
(a) Far away.
(b) To the port city.
(c) To the rock.
(d) To the Kingdom.
5. What blocks the path of Birle, Yul, and Orien as they are escaping the city?
(c) An army of men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is inside the bundle of dirty clothes that Yul leans against the wall?
2. What does Birle practice in the evenings with Joaquim?
3. When Birle tells Joaquim of the Kingdom, what does he think of it?
4. Who is Damall?
5. What does Birle do to keep her mind distracted from Orien?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Joaquim and Birle in Chapter 19.
2. In Chapter 21, once Orien is well, what differences does he say is in Birle's character?
3. Describe the relationship that Birle develops with the Earl.
4. Describe Birle's work as a slave for Joaquim and what drives her to work so hard.
5. What is decided upon in Chapter 20 of how they will be set free?
6. Birle sees a hand nailed to a board holding a gold coin and she finds out that there is another hand on the other side as well as the heads that go with the hands elsewhere at the marketplace. What do these represent and who are they?
7. How do the Lord's sentences seem on Hearing Day?
8. What sort of reputation has Birle earned in Chapter 17 amongst the people of the city while being a slave?
9. Birle realizes that Corbel, along with being cruel and greedy, is also clever. How is he clever, especially with the throwing of the feast?
10. What changes occur in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21 after Birle and Orien have escaped slavery and Orien is now healed?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)