|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom is Birle taken to be cared for in Chapter 22?
(b) The maidservants.
(c) Orien's grandfather.
(d) Gladaegal's wife.
2. Why is the Earl (Orien's grandfather) initially impatient with Birle?
(a) Because she does not understand what it means to be a Lady.
(b) Because she does not speak to him.
(c) Because she is low-born.
(d) Because she has a village accent.
3. What is Joaquim's goal?
(a) To grow a herb garden.
(b) To write a book of herbs.
(c) To transmute anything into gold.
(d) To transmute other metals into gold.
4. What changes in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21?
(a) Birle no longer loves Orien, but he is now the one who loves her.
(b) They are now best friends.
(c) Orien adopts Birle as his sister.
(d) They are now man and woman.
5. In front of what does Birle sit at the beginning of Chapter 24?
(a) Her holding.
(b) The river.
(c) The castle.
(d) The Inn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joaquim teach Yul how to do?
2. How long has it been since the beginning of the novel at the point where Birle and Orien finally are reunited during their time in slavery?
3. Why does Orien present Birle with two silver fish?
4. Why does Joaquim save Birle from being taken by Corbel?
5. What does Birle tell Yul to do if they get parted at the marketplace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of reputation has Birle earned in Chapter 17 amongst the people of the city while being a slave?
2. Who is Lady Fortune and what does Joaquim say about her?
3. What changes occur in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21 after Birle and Orien have escaped slavery and Orien is now healed?
4. Describe Birle's work as a slave for Joaquim and what drives her to work so hard.
5. What does Birle understand about Nan?
6. What is Birle grateful for having known?
7. How is Birle's life now in Chapter 15, living with Joaquim?
8. How do the Lord's sentences seem on Hearing Day?
9. Describe Damall's character and who he is.
10. In Chapter 21, once Orien is well, what differences does he say is in Birle's character?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)