|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Birle suggest Orien do?
(a) Send a letter to his grandfather.
(b) Run away to the Kingdom.
(c) Stay where he is and she will get him out.
(d) Run away to the Philosopher's house.
2. What does Birle tell Yul to do if they get parted at the marketplace?
(a) To go back home.
(b) To call out her name.
(c) To stand still.
(d) To look for her.
3. What do the notices around the city state?
(a) A feast to celebrate the Prince's one year of rule.
(b) A warning to slaves not to escape.
(c) A wanted poster for Orien.
(d) A reminder that Corbel is the ruler.
4. What were Nan and Da planning to do with Birle before her wedding to Muir?
(a) Take her away to another village until Muir gave up.
(b) Tie her to the bed and tell Muir she had a spotted fever.
(c) Force her to leave the country.
(d) Tie her to the bed and tell Muir she only had days to live.
5. How does Orien's brother greet him?
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has it been since the beginning of the novel at the point where Birle and Orien finally are reunited during their time in slavery?
2. What keeps Birle on the move while working as a slave?
3. What does Joaquim tell Birle will happen eventually in the city because of Corbel's marriage?
4. If someone asked Birle who she was, what would she be most likely to answer in Chapter 22?
5. What saves Birle from Corbel's fate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Birle sees a hand nailed to a board holding a gold coin and she finds out that there is another hand on the other side as well as the heads that go with the hands elsewhere at the marketplace. What do these represent and who are they?
2. In Chapter 21, once Orien is well, what differences does he say is in Birle's character?
3. When Orien is injured and Birle rushes to the laboratory, what does she realize?
4. Why does Birle reveal to Joaquim that she can read?
5. How is Birle's life now in Chapter 15, living with Joaquim?
6. Describe the relationship that Birle develops with the Earl.
7. What does Birle decide at the end of Chapter 19?
8. Describe Birle's work as a slave for Joaquim and what drives her to work so hard.
9. Describe Damall's character and who he is.
10. Describe Nan and Birle's meeting.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)