|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yul do to give alert to Birle in Chapter 19 during their escape from the city?
(b) Snarl mutely.
(c) Jump up and down.
2. When do Birle and Joaquim plan to leave the city?
(a) A day later.
(b) In two days.
(c) That day.
(d) Within a few hours.
3. What surprises Orien about Hearing Day?
(a) That it is run by his grandfather.
(b) That it is so short.
(c) That it is so long.
(d) That it is not organized.
4. Who does Joaquim say has fled the city after Corbel's marriage?
(a) The priests.
(b) The guildsmen.
(d) Corbel's soldiers.
5. What does Damall do for Birle, Yul and Orien after meeting them?
(a) He has them taken to the mines.
(b) He has their chains and collars removed.
(c) He has them caged.
(d) He has them returned to Corbel.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Orien move about during the escape from the city after Joaquim goes his own way?
2. What does Birle discover has happened to Orien when she reaches his place?
3. Who is Damall?
4. What do the nailed hands represent?
5. Why is the Earl (Orien's grandfather) initially impatient with Birle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nan and Birle's meeting.
2. What changes occur in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21 after Birle and Orien have escaped slavery and Orien is now healed?
3. How does Corbel see Birle differently now in Chapter 16?
4. How do the Lord's sentences seem on Hearing Day?
5. What does Joaquim say to convince Corbel to let Birle continue staying with him, and why does he do it?
6. Describe Damall's character and who he is.
7. Describe the relationship between Joaquim and Birle in Chapter 19.
8. What is Birle grateful for having known?
9. What does Birle decide at the end of Chapter 19?
10. Describe the relationship that Birle develops with the Earl.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)