|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Orien do to mark their presence where he and Birle are stranded?
(a) Ties pieces of their cloaks to a tree.
(b) Scratches their names into pieces of wood left from the boat.
(c) Scratches their names into a rock.
(d) Scratches their names into the bark of a tree.
2. What does Birle NOT think about as she and the Lord travel down the river?
(a) Her grandparents.
(b) The end of the journey and the parting.
(c) Her Da, brothers, and Nan.
(d) The life of an Innkeeper's daughter.
3. What does Yul do when Ker tries to fondle Birle?
(a) Strangles him.
(b) Rams into him.
(d) Kicks him.
4. What story does Birle tell the Lord?
(a) The story of her grandparent's treasure.
(b) The story of her growing up with brothers.
(c) The story about Da's childhood.
(d) The story about her grandmother and mother.
5. The fact that the man who has stolen the boat has no beard lets Birle realize that he holds what position in society?
(a) A huntsman.
(b) A married man.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A Lord.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birle learn about the Lord's character in Chapter 3?
2. How old does Birle discover that the Lord is?
3. What item has Orien lost, which was proof of his true identity?
4. What is the law for second marriages for commoners?
5. What happened to Birle's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some speculations Birle makes about why the Lord is running away from home?
2. What does the name Corbel seem to stand for, who uses it, and why?
3. Where should Birle be in the beginning of Chapter 1 instead of where she is, and why is she not there?
4. Why does Birle agree to marry Muir, and how does she feel about the wedding near the end of Chapter 2?
5. Describe Corbel's initial appearance and his character.
6. What tactics does Birle use in attempts to draw out her time spent with the Lord?
7. What do the Lord and Birle discuss about second marriages and second wives?
8. What do the stranger and Birle discover about each other now that there is light, and how is it different from their initial impressions?
9. Joaquim and Corbel are brothers, yet they are vastly different. Briefly describe their differences and mention why Corbel keeps Joaquim around.
10. Chapter 2 discusses a brief family background of Birle's. Who is Granda, Gran, Lyss, Da, and Nan and how are they related to Birle?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)