|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Birle begins to fear for their lives, what does the Lord promise to do?
(a) Keep her safe.
(b) Marry her.
(c) Kill her before she is kidnapped by men.
(d) Return her to her home safely.
2. The fact that the man who has stolen the boat has no beard lets Birle realize that he holds what position in society?
(a) A huntsman.
(b) A married man.
(c) A Lord.
(d) A farmer.
3. Hearing what name causes everyone's attitude to change in the city that Birle and Orien are taken to?
4. Near the end of Chapter 2, what are Birle's feelings towards her intended?
(a) She cannot wait to wed him.
(b) She does not care either way.
(c) She just wants to leave the Inn.
(d) She has no desire to wed him.
5. What does Birle say in attempts to convince the Lord to take him with her on his journey?
(a) She says she knows the forest and what is in the forest is for eating.
(b) She says she knows how to hunt better than any man and can feed him well.
(c) She says that she is desperate to escape from her home.
(d) She says she is an excellent tracker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only person still wearing the shackles at the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. Who else do Birle and the Lord discover is out on the waters with them?
3. What about the strange man captures Birle once he awakens in the morning?
4. What question from Birle turns the Lord reticent for two days?
5. Who else does the older man buy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Corbel's initial appearance and his character.
2. In what ways does Birle demonstrate her independence and usefulness to the reader and Orien in Chapter 3?
3. Briefly describe the discussion about Doubt that the Lord and Birle have.
4. Joaquim and Corbel are brothers, yet they are vastly different. Briefly describe their differences and mention why Corbel keeps Joaquim around.
5. Chapter 2 discusses a brief family background of Birle's. Who is Granda, Gran, Lyss, Da, and Nan and how are they related to Birle?
6. What do the Lord and Birle discuss about second marriages and second wives?
7. Name a few differences in lifestyle between Birle and Orien that they mention.
8. In the beginning of Chapter 2, the mysterious man is asleep while Birle lies awake, yet she is unafraid. What makes her not fear this man?
9. Within Chapter 1, Birle observes the mysterious figure and has a brief encounter with him. What clues lead her to the conclusion that he is a city-man, what options does she rule out, and why?
10. What new information do we find out about Birle's family and life in Chapter 7?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)