|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who else do Birle and the Lord discover is out on the waters with them?
(a) Two sailors.
(b) Two fishermen.
(c) Two thugs.
(d) Two pirates.
2. What is Joaquim's occupation?
3. About whom do Birle and Orien tell stories, all with different plots?
(a) King Midas.
(b) The King.
(c) The Earl.
4. What is Birle's position in society?
(a) Innkeeper's daughter.
(b) Farmer's daughter.
(c) Innkeeper's wife.
(d) Tavern wench.
5. What does Orien do to mark their presence where he and Birle are stranded?
(a) Scratches their names into a rock.
(b) Ties pieces of their cloaks to a tree.
(c) Scratches their names into pieces of wood left from the boat.
(d) Scratches their names into the bark of a tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Birle know that the mysterious figure is not a robber?
2. Who is Birle's master?
3. What does Birle grow accustomed to doing as she and Orien talk?
4. What does Birle promise the Lord?
5. What mythological creature does the Earl use as an example in the discussion that he and Birle have about doubt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Birle used to shirk from her inn duties?
2. Where should Birle be in the beginning of Chapter 1 instead of where she is, and why is she not there?
3. Near the end of Chapter 5, the Lord is very sorrowful and then complains about having to sleep in a boat. Briefly describe just what he says and what his words tell us about his character.
4. In what ways does Birle demonstrate her independence and usefulness to the reader and Orien in Chapter 3?
5. What do Ker and Torson say when Orien tells them of his heritage, and where he and Birle are from?
6. What do the stranger and Birle discover about each other now that there is light, and how is it different from their initial impressions?
7. Chapter 2 discusses a brief family background of Birle's. Who is Granda, Gran, Lyss, Da, and Nan and how are they related to Birle?
8. Describe Corbel's initial appearance and his character.
9. What new information do we find out about Birle's family and life in Chapter 7?
10. In the beginning of Chapter 2, the mysterious man is asleep while Birle lies awake, yet she is unafraid. What makes her not fear this man?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)