|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where on the ship is Orien moved to near the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) The helm.
(b) The oars.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The dungeon.
2. What is the first "treasure" that Birle's grandparents showed her?
(a) A painting of Birle's mother.
(b) A sack full of gold.
(c) A map of the kingdom.
(d) An antique piece of jewelry from the royal family.
3. Who is the only person still wearing the shackles at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) The boy.
4. Near the end of Chapter 2, what are Birle's feelings towards her intended?
(a) She cannot wait to wed him.
(b) She has no desire to wed him.
(c) She just wants to leave the Inn.
(d) She does not care either way.
5. When does Birle find out that she will be freed?
(b) In six month's time.
(c) In six year's time.
(d) In seven year's time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who chases Birle and the Lord?
2. The man who rescues Orien and Birle trades what for their rescue?
3. As Birle watches the Lord shave, what understanding does she come to about this?
4. What is the name of the Inn?
5. What alerts the mysterious figure to Birle's presence?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 2, the mysterious man is asleep while Birle lies awake, yet she is unafraid. What makes her not fear this man?
2. What does the name Corbel seem to stand for, who uses it, and why?
3. Why did Birle used to shirk from her inn duties?
4. What leads Birle to suspect that perhaps the Lord might have committed a wrongdoing against another Lord?
5. For a young girl and an Innkeeper's daughter, Birle displays a very independent nature. Give a few examples of how she displays this in Chapter 1.
6. What new information do we find out about Birle's family and life in Chapter 7?
7. Describe Corbel's initial appearance and his character.
8. Why does Birle keep trying to prolong the time she spends with the Lord, and how does she do this in the beginning of Chapter 5?
9. In what ways does Birle demonstrate her independence and usefulness to the reader and Orien in Chapter 3?
10. Chapter 2 discusses a brief family background of Birle's. Who is Granda, Gran, Lyss, Da, and Nan and how are they related to Birle?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)