|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Lord agree to take Birle with him on his journey?
(a) He has fallen in love with her and secretly wishes to marry her.
(b) He needs someone to get food and cook for him as he travels.
(c) He realizes he can use her to pretend to be his wife in certain situations.
(d) He likes to rescue damsels in distress.
2. What causes the Lord to feel embarrassed in Chapter 3?
(a) When he attempts to catch some fish but is unable while Birle catches many.
(b) When he asks Birle where she is going and her response is that she is going to relieve herself.
(c) When he is unable to light a fire with his tinderbox yet Birle manages it easily.
(d) When he does not know how to cook the fish but Birle does .
3. What does the Lord call Birle every so often?
(a) Little One.
(b) Innkeeper's Daughter.
(c) Falcon's Child.
4. What do Birle and the Lord do to keep themselves distracted while stranded on the rock?
(a) Talk about their families.
(b) Discuss the ways to rule a kingdom.
(c) Talk about life in general.
(d) Sit closer together to stay warm.
5. What is the true treasure that Birle's grandparents give her?
(a) A large inheritance.
(b) A heavy dowry.
(c) A map leading to the Lord's hidden treasure.
(d) Reading and writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Birle gives her leftover bread to the giant man?
2. What does Orien do to entertain Birle and pass the time while they are stranded on the rock?
3. When Birle finally awakens on the ship after being rescued from the rock, what does she discover?
4. What alerts the mysterious figure to Birle's presence?
5. What does Birle promise the Lord?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Birle keep trying to prolong the time she spends with the Lord, and how does she do this in the beginning of Chapter 5?
2. Where should Birle be in the beginning of Chapter 1 instead of where she is, and why is she not there?
3. What information do we finally learn about the Lord in Chapter 7? Why did he not reveal his identity sooner?
4. What are some speculations Birle makes about why the Lord is running away from home?
5. Describe how Birle is treated by the middling man.
6. What do the Lord and Birle discuss about second marriages and second wives?
7. Up until Chapter 6, Birle has more or less played the man's role in catching fish, rowing the boat, and even saving the Lord by slitting a dog's throat. But in this chapter, how does the Lord finally portray traits that are deemed "manly" by society?
8. What convinces the Lord to accept Birle as a traveling companion?
9. Joaquim and Corbel are brothers, yet they are vastly different. Briefly describe their differences and mention why Corbel keeps Joaquim around.
10. Why does Orien pretend to be like Ker and Torson when the brothers begin to look at Birle as a woman?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)