|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the first evening, what does Birle attempt to request of the Lord?
(a) Permission to speak freely.
(b) Permission to step aside and bathe.
(c) Permission to leave him and go back home.
(d) Permission to catch a rabbit for a meal.
2. How does Birle feel when she realizes she will never see the Lord again?
(a) Like a stone is crushing down on her.
(b) Like she is being freed of the burden of capturing him and facing reprimand.
(c) Like she will never experience such an adventure again.
(d) Like a stone has been lifted off of her.
3. Who chases Birle and the Lord?
(a) A solider.
(b) A murderer.
(c) A large hound dog.
(d) A thief.
4. What is the true treasure that Birle's grandparents give her?
(a) A large inheritance.
(b) Reading and writing.
(c) A map leading to the Lord's hidden treasure.
(d) A heavy dowry.
5. What is put on Birle and Yul to identify them as belonging to Corbel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What story does Birle tell the Lord?
2. When Birle awakens from sleeping on the boat in Chapter 6, what is she met with?
3. What does the dog do to the Lord?
4. Who is Birle's master?
5. Why does the thief decide to keep Birle on board the boat and listen to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Birle reveal to Joaquim that she can read?
2. What do the stranger and Birle discover about each other now that there is light, and how is it different from their initial impressions?
3. What does Orien reveal to Birle now that he has found her again in Chapter 25?
4. What is Birle grateful for having known?
5. Describe how Birle is treated by the middling man.
6. What changes once Orien is back in the Kingdom?
7. Near the end of Chapter 5, the Lord is very sorrowful and then complains about having to sleep in a boat. Briefly describe just what he says and what his words tell us about his character.
8. Describe Birle's work as a slave for Joaquim and what drives her to work so hard.
9. Who is Lady Fortune and what does Joaquim say about her?
10. What does Birle understand about Nan?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)