|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Birle when she realizes she has been spotted by the thief?
(a) She pulls the boat towards her and away from the thief.
(b) She lets out a cry to sound the alarm of the theft.
(c) She tackles the thief.
(d) She tries to get the boat and falls into the water.
2. What is discovered about what is going to happen to Birle and Orien at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) They are going to stay on the ship as servants.
(b) They are going to be ransomed.
(c) They are going to be sold into slavery.
(d) They are going to be sold as servants.
3. Birle knows that the movement she sees at the beginning of the novel is not a man of the village because of what?
(a) Men of the village make no noise.
(b) Men of the village always walk in pairs.
(c) Men of the village carry a light.
(d) Men of the village are shorter.
4. What does Yul do when Ker tries to fondle Birle?
(a) Strangles him.
(b) Kicks him.
(c) Rams into him.
5. How does Birle distract the Lord when he says he will take her back to the village?
(a) She offers him a meal at the Inn.
(b) She offers to help him steal the boat.
(c) She offers to spear a fish.
(d) She offers him the map from her grandparents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Birle and the Lord run to after they have been chased by a dog?
2. What allows Birle to feel that the thief is no threat to her?
3. How does Birle feel at the thought of marrying Muir?
4. What does Birle say in attempts to convince the Lord to take him with her on his journey?
5. How do the brothers take the news of Orien being an Earl and the idea of the Kingdom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe what happened with the woman Orien loved.
2. Near the end of Chapter 5, the Lord is very sorrowful and then complains about having to sleep in a boat. Briefly describe just what he says and what his words tell us about his character.
3. What convinces the Lord to accept Birle as a traveling companion?
4. Chapter 2 discusses a brief family background of Birle's. Who is Granda, Gran, Lyss, Da, and Nan and how are they related to Birle?
5. What does the name Corbel seem to stand for, who uses it, and why?
6. What are the "treasures" Birle's grandparents bestow upon her and why are they so important?
7. Briefly describe the discussion about Doubt that the Lord and Birle have.
8. What tactics does Birle use in attempts to draw out her time spent with the Lord?
9. In the beginning of her travels down the river with the Lord, Birle notes differences between him and men that she knows. What are they?
10. What do the stranger and Birle discover about each other now that there is light, and how is it different from their initial impressions?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)