|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is discovered about what is going to happen to Birle and Orien at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) They are going to be sold into slavery.
(b) They are going to be sold as servants.
(c) They are going to be ransomed.
(d) They are going to stay on the ship as servants.
2. What does the Lord think is the truth about his father's death?
(a) He died from a fever.
(b) He was murdered.
(c) He died from old age.
(d) He was poisoned.
3. Who is the man in the crimson cloak?
4. Soon after they begin walking, what do Birle and the Lord find?
(a) The king's army.
(b) Birle's Da and brothers.
(c) A group of men cooking food.
(d) A band of gypsies.
5. What does Birle conclude that the mysterious figure is after he spots her?
(a) A runaway servant.
(b) A thief.
(c) A huntsman.
(d) A robber.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Birle watches the Lord shave, what understanding does she come to about this?
2. What is Joaquim's occupation?
3. What does the Lord call Birle every so often?
4. What is the first "treasure" that Birle's grandparents showed her?
5. What question from Birle turns the Lord reticent for two days?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Birle demonstrate her independence and usefulness to the reader and Orien in Chapter 3?
2. Chapter 2 discusses a brief family background of Birle's. Who is Granda, Gran, Lyss, Da, and Nan and how are they related to Birle?
3. What tactics does Birle use in attempts to draw out her time spent with the Lord?
4. Briefly describe what happened with the woman Orien loved.
5. What leads Birle to suspect that perhaps the Lord might have committed a wrongdoing against another Lord?
6. For a young girl and an Innkeeper's daughter, Birle displays a very independent nature. Give a few examples of how she displays this in Chapter 1.
7. How could the initial encounter between Birle and the thief be described?
8. Within Chapter 1, Birle observes the mysterious figure and has a brief encounter with him. What clues lead her to the conclusion that he is a city-man, what options does she rule out, and why?
9. What do the stranger and Birle discover about each other now that there is light, and how is it different from their initial impressions?
10. Joaquim and Corbel are brothers, yet they are vastly different. Briefly describe their differences and mention why Corbel keeps Joaquim around.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)