|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Soon after they begin walking, what do Birle and the Lord find?
(a) Birle's Da and brothers.
(b) A band of gypsies.
(c) A group of men cooking food.
(d) The king's army.
2. Hearing what name causes everyone's attitude to change in the city that Birle and Orien are taken to?
3. How do the brothers take the news of Orien being an Earl and the idea of the Kingdom?
(a) They mock him and the Kingdom.
(b) They believe him and realize they can hold him for a large ransom.
(c) They believe him and agree to set him free.
(d) They ignore him.
4. What is discovered about Birle's engagement to Muir?
(a) Birle is the one who accepted the proposal on her own.
(b) Nan and Da forced her into it.
(c) Granda and Gran arranged it.
(d) Birle is vehemently against it.
5. The man's speech makes Birle think that the thief is possibly a what?
(a) A nobleman's heir.
(b) A city man.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A city street rat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Lord call Birle every so often?
2. Who tries to buy Birle first?
3. What does the Lord tell Birle about the life of a wife of a huntsman?
4. What item has Orien lost, which was proof of his true identity?
5. What causes the Lord to feel embarrassed in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Birle understand about Nan?
2. When Orien is injured and Birle rushes to the laboratory, what does she realize?
3. Chapter 2 discusses a brief family background of Birle's. Who is Granda, Gran, Lyss, Da, and Nan and how are they related to Birle?
4. Birle sees a hand nailed to a board holding a gold coin and she finds out that there is another hand on the other side as well as the heads that go with the hands elsewhere at the marketplace. What do these represent and who are they?
5. How is Birle's life now in Chapter 15, living with Joaquim?
6. What does the name Corbel seem to stand for, who uses it, and why?
7. What information do we finally learn about the Lord in Chapter 7? Why did he not reveal his identity sooner?
8. What are the "treasures" Birle's grandparents bestow upon her and why are they so important?
9. Name a few differences in lifestyle between Birle and Orien that they mention.
10. Within Chapter 1, Birle observes the mysterious figure and has a brief encounter with him. What clues lead her to the conclusion that he is a city-man, what options does she rule out, and why?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)