|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Birle's position in society?
(a) Farmer's daughter.
(b) Tavern wench.
(c) Innkeeper's daughter.
(d) Innkeeper's wife.
2. What does the Lord think is the truth about his father's death?
(a) He died from old age.
(b) He was poisoned.
(c) He was murdered.
(d) He died from a fever.
3. What about the strange man captures Birle once he awakens in the morning?
(a) His straight nose.
(b) His tousled dark hair.
(c) The wink he sends her.
(d) His bellflower blue eyes.
4. What is Birle's goal in regards to the thief and the boat?
(a) She wants to prevent the theft of the boat and does not care for the thief himself.
(b) She does not care and prefers to go back home.
(c) She wants to capture the thief and take him back to the village.
(d) She wants to prevent the theft of the boat and capture the thief.
5. Who tries to buy Birle first?
(a) The mines.
(b) Two craftsmen.
(c) The older man.
(d) The middling man.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Birle finally awakens on the ship after being rescued from the rock, what does she discover?
2. What relation do Joaquim and Corbel have?
3. Who is the man in the crimson cloak?
4. What mythological creature does the Earl use as an example in the discussion that he and Birle have about doubt?
5. Birle knows that the movement she sees at the beginning of the novel is not a man of the village because of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Birle's life now in Chapter 15, living with Joaquim?
2. Birle sees a hand nailed to a board holding a gold coin and she finds out that there is another hand on the other side as well as the heads that go with the hands elsewhere at the marketplace. What do these represent and who are they?
3. Near the end of Chapter 5, the Lord is very sorrowful and then complains about having to sleep in a boat. Briefly describe just what he says and what his words tell us about his character.
4. What new information do we find out about Birle's family and life in Chapter 7?
5. Describe Nan and Birle's meeting.
6. What do Ker and Torson say when Orien tells them of his heritage, and where he and Birle are from?
7. What are the "treasures" Birle's grandparents bestow upon her and why are they so important?
8. Why did Birle used to shirk from her inn duties?
9. Birle realizes that Corbel, along with being cruel and greedy, is also clever. How is he clever, especially with the throwing of the feast?
10. Who is Lady Fortune and what does Joaquim say about her?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)