|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Birle find out that she will be freed?
(a) In six year's time.
(b) In six month's time.
(c) In seven year's time.
2. What happens when Birle gives her leftover bread to the giant man?
(a) The little boy tells Ker.
(b) The giant man is thrown overboard.
(c) Birle is severely reprimanded.
(d) The giant man is given a whipping.
3. Who tries to buy Birle first?
(a) The middling man.
(b) The older man.
(c) Two craftsmen.
(d) The mines.
4. What happened to Birle's mother?
(a) She left the family.
(b) She died in childbirth.
(c) She died from a fever.
(d) She died from the plague.
5. What does Orien tell Birle without her even asking?
(a) That he never married but has one child.
(b) That he has never married, nor does he have children.
(c) That he is married but has no children.
(d) That he hates his father for dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Birle feel at the thought of marrying Muir?
2. What does Birle confess to having done back at the Inn?
3. What is Birle's position in society?
4. What does Birle suggest so that she does not have to part from the Lord?
5. What does Birle learn about the Lord's character in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information do we finally learn about the Lord in Chapter 7? Why did he not reveal his identity sooner?
2. Why does Birle agree to marry Muir, and how does she feel about the wedding near the end of Chapter 2?
3. Name a few differences in lifestyle between Birle and Orien that they mention.
4. What does the name Corbel seem to stand for, who uses it, and why?
5. How could the initial encounter between Birle and the thief be described?
6. Joaquim and Corbel are brothers, yet they are vastly different. Briefly describe their differences and mention why Corbel keeps Joaquim around.
7. Where should Birle be in the beginning of Chapter 1 instead of where she is, and why is she not there?
8. Near the end of Chapter 5, the Lord is very sorrowful and then complains about having to sleep in a boat. Briefly describe just what he says and what his words tell us about his character.
9. Describe Corbel's initial appearance and his character.
10. Briefly describe the discussion about Doubt that the Lord and Birle have.
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)