|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the brothers take the news of Orien being an Earl and the idea of the Kingdom?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They believe him and realize they can hold him for a large ransom.
(c) They believe him and agree to set him free.
(d) They mock him and the Kingdom.
2. What is the name of the Inn?
(a) The Winged Falcon.
(b) The Falcon's Wing.
(c) The Falcon Inn.
(d) The Falcon.
3. What does Orien do to entertain Birle and pass the time while they are stranded on the rock?
(a) Draw pictures in the sand.
(d) Tell a story.
4. What does Birle suggest the Lord do so as to increase her time spent with him once they reach the island?
(a) Take a nap.
(b) Eat and bathe.
(d) Catch fish for her and cook it.
5. The man who rescues Orien and Birle trades what for their rescue?
(a) Their weapons.
(b) Orien's dagger.
(c) Birle's knife.
(d) Their cloaks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only name by which Birle says she knows of her mother's father?
2. How does Orien say he feels towards his father for his actions?
3. What types of people has Birle heard tales about since childhood, which might speculate as to who this mysterious figure might be?
4. How do the people of the village bathe in the winter, according to Birle?
5. What item has Orien lost, which was proof of his true identity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the encounter between the dog, the Lord, and Birle. What about Birle's character is expressed through her actions?
2. Where should Birle be in the beginning of Chapter 1 instead of where she is, and why is she not there?
3. What do Ker and Torson say when Orien tells them of his heritage, and where he and Birle are from?
4. What convinces the Lord to accept Birle as a traveling companion?
5. Briefly describe what happened with the woman Orien loved.
6. What are the "treasures" Birle's grandparents bestow upon her and why are they so important?
7. Why does Birle keep trying to prolong the time she spends with the Lord, and how does she do this in the beginning of Chapter 5?
8. What drives Birle to suggest that she travel with the Lord, and what compels him to agree?
9. Describe how Birle is treated by the middling man.
10. Chapter 2 discusses a brief family background of Birle's. Who is Granda, Gran, Lyss, Da, and Nan and how are they related to Birle?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)