|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Birle know that the mysterious figure is not a robber?
(a) This person is alone and robbers move in packs.
(b) This person is holding a glinting knife known to be carried by robbers of the Kingdom.
(c) This person is carrying a sack full of loot.
(d) This person is moving with a pack and robbers are alone.
2. What is discovered about what is going to happen to Birle and Orien at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) They are going to be sold as servants.
(b) They are going to stay on the ship as servants.
(c) They are going to be sold into slavery.
(d) They are going to be ransomed.
3. What does the Lord confess to Birle once they are safe from the dog and men?
(a) That he fainted temporarily when the dog jumped on him.
(b) That he is really terrified of dogs.
(c) That he has never killed a man.
(d) That he does not know how to wield a sword or knife as a weapon.
4. What is the law for second marriages for commoners?
(a) It is allowed once the first wife has been dead five years.
(b) It is not allowed but Nan was an exception.
(c) It is not allowed.
(d) It is allowed with some restrictions.
5. Who is Lyss?
(a) Birle's sister.
(b) Birle's grandmother.
(c) Birle's mother.
(d) Birle's stepmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the law for second marriages for Lords?
2. What do Birle and the Lord do to keep themselves distracted while stranded on the rock?
3. What do the people of the village and the Inn fear?
4. Thinking about what makes Birle NOT want to return to the Inn?
5. What mythological creature does the Earl use as an example in the discussion that he and Birle have about doubt?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Birle's life now in Chapter 15, living with Joaquim?
2. What changes occur in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21 after Birle and Orien have escaped slavery and Orien is now healed?
3. What are some speculations Birle makes about why the Lord is running away from home?
4. What sort of reputation has Birle earned in Chapter 17 amongst the people of the city while being a slave?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 2, the mysterious man is asleep while Birle lies awake, yet she is unafraid. What makes her not fear this man?
6. For a young girl and an Innkeeper's daughter, Birle displays a very independent nature. Give a few examples of how she displays this in Chapter 1.
7. Briefly describe what happened with the woman Orien loved.
8. What tactics does Birle use in attempts to draw out her time spent with the Lord?
9. How does Joaquim use Birle's education in reading and writing, and what does this mean for her?
10. Why does Birle reveal to Joaquim that she can read?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)