|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the people of the village and the Inn fear?
(d) The man.
2. Who else do Birle and the Lord discover is out on the waters with them?
(a) Two pirates.
(b) Two fishermen.
(c) Two sailors.
(d) Two thugs.
3. What is the name of the Inn?
(a) The Falcon Inn.
(b) The Winged Falcon.
(c) The Falcon's Wing.
(d) The Falcon.
4. What does Orien do to mark their presence where he and Birle are stranded?
(a) Scratches their names into pieces of wood left from the boat.
(b) Ties pieces of their cloaks to a tree.
(c) Scratches their names into a rock.
(d) Scratches their names into the bark of a tree.
5. What is Da's reason for protesting against Birle's engagement to Muir?
(a) Muir is too low-born for Birle.
(b) Birle and Muir's social statuses do not match.
(c) Birle is too young.
(d) Muir is too young.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is discovered about what is going to happen to Birle and Orien at the end of Chapter 10?
2. Who chases Birle and the Lord?
3. What is the law for second marriages for commoners?
4. What mistake does Birle make when the Lord pulls out his map?
5. What question from Birle turns the Lord reticent for two days?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Birle demonstrate her independence and usefulness to the reader and Orien in Chapter 3?
2. How could the initial encounter between Birle and the thief be described?
3. What information do we finally learn about the Lord in Chapter 7? Why did he not reveal his identity sooner?
4. Briefly describe the discussion about Doubt that the Lord and Birle have.
5. What drives Birle to suggest that she travel with the Lord, and what compels him to agree?
6. Within Chapter 1, Birle observes the mysterious figure and has a brief encounter with him. What clues lead her to the conclusion that he is a city-man, what options does she rule out, and why?
7. Where should Birle be in the beginning of Chapter 1 instead of where she is, and why is she not there?
8. What do Ker and Torson say when Orien tells them of his heritage, and where he and Birle are from?
9. What are the "treasures" Birle's grandparents bestow upon her and why are they so important?
10. What do the Lord and Birle discuss about second marriages and second wives?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)