|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only name by which Birle says she knows of her mother's father?
2. What happens to Birle when she realizes she has been spotted by the thief?
(a) She lets out a cry to sound the alarm of the theft.
(b) She tackles the thief.
(c) She tries to get the boat and falls into the water.
(d) She pulls the boat towards her and away from the thief.
3. What article of clothing does Birle use in hopes of the rain soaking it?
(a) Orien's hat.
(b) Her hat.
(c) Orien's cloak.
(d) Her cloak.
4. Thinking about what makes Birle NOT want to return to the Inn?
(a) Morning chores.
(b) Her parents.
(d) Her wedding.
5. What does Orien tell Birle without her even asking?
(a) That he never married but has one child.
(b) That he has never married, nor does he have children.
(c) That he hates his father for dying.
(d) That he is married but has no children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Birle and the Lord decide to spend the rest of the night in Chapter 5?
2. Why does Orien apologize to Birle?
3. What does Birle conclude that the mysterious figure is after he spots her?
4. What does Birle carry for the Lord as they begin their journey?
5. What allows Birle to feel that the thief is no threat to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name a few differences in lifestyle between Birle and Orien that they mention.
2. Chapter 2 discusses a brief family background of Birle's. Who is Granda, Gran, Lyss, Da, and Nan and how are they related to Birle?
3. How do the Lord's sentences seem on Hearing Day?
4. What changes once Orien is back in the Kingdom?
5. What does Birle come to understand about Gladaegal?
6. What do the Lord and Birle discuss about second marriages and second wives?
7. What do Ker and Torson say when Orien tells them of his heritage, and where he and Birle are from?
8. What are the "treasures" Birle's grandparents bestow upon her and why are they so important?
9. Describe Nan and Birle's meeting.
10. In the beginning of her travels down the river with the Lord, Birle notes differences between him and men that she knows. What are they?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)