|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Birle awakens from sleeping on the boat in Chapter 6, what is she met with?
(c) The disappearance of the Lord.
(d) Being kidnapped.
2. What is Birle's position in society?
(a) Innkeeper's wife.
(b) Tavern wench.
(c) Innkeeper's daughter.
(d) Farmer's daughter.
3. What is the first thing our main character is said to have seen in the very beginning of the novel?
(a) A man.
(b) Nothing. She hears someone.
(c) A boat.
(d) A shadow.
4. How does Birle feel at the thought of marrying Muir?
5. What does the Lord think is the truth about his father's death?
(a) He died from old age.
(b) He was murdered.
(c) He died from a fever.
(d) He was poisoned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Lord confess to Birle once they are safe from the dog and men?
2. What does Birle NOT think about as she and the Lord travel down the river?
3. What does Birle offer the Lord as a gift?
4. What does Orien do to mark their presence where he and Birle are stranded?
5. What happened to Birle's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the name Corbel seem to stand for, who uses it, and why?
2. What leads Birle to suspect that perhaps the Lord might have committed a wrongdoing against another Lord?
3. Briefly describe what happened with the woman Orien loved.
4. Why does Orien pretend to be like Ker and Torson when the brothers begin to look at Birle as a woman?
5. Up until Chapter 6, Birle has more or less played the man's role in catching fish, rowing the boat, and even saving the Lord by slitting a dog's throat. But in this chapter, how does the Lord finally portray traits that are deemed "manly" by society?
6. In what ways does Birle demonstrate her independence and usefulness to the reader and Orien in Chapter 3?
7. Joaquim and Corbel are brothers, yet they are vastly different. Briefly describe their differences and mention why Corbel keeps Joaquim around.
8. Describe Ker and Torson's treatment of Orien and Birle.
9. Briefly describe the discussion about Doubt that the Lord and Birle have.
10. Why does Birle agree to marry Muir, and how does she feel about the wedding near the end of Chapter 2?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)