|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Near the end of Chapter 2, what are Birle's feelings towards her intended?
(a) She just wants to leave the Inn.
(b) She cannot wait to wed him.
(c) She does not care either way.
(d) She has no desire to wed him.
2. Who does Orien wave his arms towards from his location on the rock?
(a) No one. He was stretching but Birle thought he was waving.
(b) A boat he sees in the distance.
3. Who is the man in the crimson cloak?
4. About whom do Birle and Orien tell stories, all with different plots?
(a) King Midas.
(b) The King.
(c) The Earl.
5. What does Birle promise the Lord?
(a) To obey all his commands.
(b) To leave when he tells her to.
(c) To never fall in love with him.
(d) To hide if danger arises.
Short Answer Questions
1. Birle knows that the movement she sees at the beginning of the novel is not a man of the village because of what?
2. How does Birle distract the Lord when he says he will take her back to the village?
3. Thinking about what makes Birle NOT want to return to the Inn?
4. To whom is Orien sold?
5. Who is Birle's master?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Orien pretend to be like Ker and Torson when the brothers begin to look at Birle as a woman?
2. What tactics does Birle use in attempts to draw out her time spent with the Lord?
3. Chapter 2 discusses a brief family background of Birle's. Who is Granda, Gran, Lyss, Da, and Nan and how are they related to Birle?
4. In what ways does Birle demonstrate her independence and usefulness to the reader and Orien in Chapter 3?
5. Why did Birle used to shirk from her inn duties?
6. Describe how Birle is treated by the middling man.
7. Name a few differences in lifestyle between Birle and Orien that they mention.
8. What does the name Corbel seem to stand for, who uses it, and why?
9. Why does Birle keep trying to prolong the time she spends with the Lord, and how does she do this in the beginning of Chapter 5?
10. Describe Ker and Torson's treatment of Orien and Birle.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)