|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Birle suggest Orien do?
(a) Run away to the Kingdom.
(b) Stay where he is and she will get him out.
(c) Run away to the Philosopher's house.
(d) Send a letter to his grandfather.
2. What does Birle realize after seeing Orien disappear after he sees her?
(a) He does not remember her.
(b) He hates her.
(c) He loves her too much that it's painful.
(d) He does not want to meet with her.
3. Why does Corbel get angry with Birle?
(a) Because she distracts the soldiers.
(b) Because she is dirty.
(c) Because she cannot understand Yul.
(d) Because Joaquim's labratory is dirty.
4. When Birle tells Joaquim of the Kingdom, what does he think of it?
(a) He thinks of it as a magical kingdom.
(b) He thinks of it as a non-existant kingdom.
(c) He thinks of it as a famine-filled kingdom.
(d) He thinks of it as a war-zone kingdom.
5. What does Birle do to keep her mind distracted from Orien?
6. What happened to Joaquim's wife?
(a) He never had a wife.
(b) She died from a summer fever.
(c) She drowned.
(d) She was murdered.
7. What does Birle realize about Nan's scolding?
(a) It is her way of getting things done.
(b) It is her way of telling Birle she is incompetent.
(c) It is her way of getting her anger out.
(d) It is her way of showing care.
8. How does Orien move about during the escape from the city after Joaquim goes his own way?
(a) He is paralyzed.
(b) Yul carries him.
(c) On crutches.
(d) With a cane.
9. What does Joaquim give Birle?
(a) His wife's old clothing.
(d) A chance to see Orien.
10. Who is Damall?
(a) The wild man.
(b) The king's general.
(c) Corbel's spy.
(d) The head robber.
11. What day is nearing at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(b) The Earl's birthday.
(c) Harvest Day.
(d) Hearing Day.
12. What does Corbel suggest doing with Birle?
(a) Making her his second wife.
(b) Giving her as a gift to his wife.
(c) Selling her away.
(d) Having her marry Joaquim.
13. What is Joaquim's goal?
(a) To grow a herb garden.
(b) To transmute other metals into gold.
(c) To transmute anything into gold.
(d) To write a book of herbs.
14. What saves Birle from Corbel's fate?
(a) Her crying.
(b) Her fighting.
(c) Her cooking.
(d) Her education.
15. What does Birle decide to reveal to Joaquim upon his questioning?
(a) Her love for Orien.
(b) The fact that she can catch fish easily.
(c) The story of her journey so far.
(d) Her ability to read.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is revealed to have murdered Orien's father?
2. Who does Joaquim say has fled the city after Corbel's marriage?
3. Why does Orien present Birle with two silver fish?
4. What were Nan and Da planning to do with Birle before her wedding to Muir?
5. What does Birle tell Yul to do if they get parted at the marketplace?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)