|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Birle and Joaquim plan to leave the city?
(a) A day later.
(b) In two days.
(c) Within a few hours.
(d) That day.
2. What does Joaquim tell Birle to hope for?
(a) Corbel purchasing Orien.
(b) Orien's quick death.
(c) Orien being re-sold elsewhere.
(d) Orien escaping the mines.
3. How is Corbel's absence an advantage to Joaquim?
(a) He can be kinder to Birle and Yul.
(b) He can work on his herb book.
(c) He can relax.
(d) He can leave the house.
4. Why does Orien present Birle with two silver fish?
(a) To profess his love.
(b) To show his loyalty.
(c) To show is gratitude.
(d) To eat for dinner.
5. What does Birle discover has happened to Orien when she reaches his place?
(a) He has already been taken to the mines.
(b) He is sick with fever.
(c) His master took him into the army with him.
(d) He has already runaway on his own.
6. If someone asked Birle who she was, what would she be most likely to answer in Chapter 22?
(a) Orien's Lady.
(b) The Philosopher's maid.
(c) An Innkeeper's Daughter.
(d) Yul's friend.
7. What is Joaquim's goal?
(a) To write a book of herbs.
(b) To transmute other metals into gold.
(c) To grow a herb garden.
(d) To transmute anything into gold.
8. What changes in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21?
(a) Birle no longer loves Orien, but he is now the one who loves her.
(b) They are now man and woman.
(c) Orien adopts Birle as his sister.
(d) They are now best friends.
9. What happened to Joaquim's wife?
(a) He never had a wife.
(b) She died from a summer fever.
(c) She was murdered.
(d) She drowned.
10. What does Damall do for Birle, Yul and Orien after meeting them?
(a) He has them returned to Corbel.
(b) He has them caged.
(c) He has their chains and collars removed.
(d) He has them taken to the mines.
11. Who is inside the bundle of dirty clothes that Yul leans against the wall?
(a) The boy.
(d) The Little Mistress.
12. Where has Corbel gone for the summer?
(a) On vacation.
(b) Into the service of a prince.
(c) To search for pirates.
(d) To the Kingdom.
13. As Birle leaves to go find Orien, who does she run into?
(b) The Little Mistress.
14. What does Birle realize after seeing Orien disappear after he sees her?
(a) He loves her too much that it's painful.
(b) He does not remember her.
(c) He hates her.
(d) He does not want to meet with her.
15. What does Birle realize about Nan's scolding?
(a) It is her way of showing care.
(b) It is her way of getting things done.
(c) It is her way of telling Birle she is incompetent.
(d) It is her way of getting her anger out.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Orien's brother greet him?
2. Who is Damall?
3. Who does Birle learn that the hands belong to?
4. What can Nan tell about Birle without her saying anything?
5. What does Birle suggest Orien do?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)