|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What changes in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21?
(a) They are now best friends.
(b) Orien adopts Birle as his sister.
(c) They are now man and woman.
(d) Birle no longer loves Orien, but he is now the one who loves her.
2. What happened to Joaquim's wife?
(a) She died from a summer fever.
(b) He never had a wife.
(c) She was murdered.
(d) She drowned.
3. Where are Birle and Orien headed in Chapter 21?
(a) To the Kingdom.
(b) Far away.
(c) To the rock.
(d) To the port city.
4. If people in the Kingdom asked, what was Birle and Orien's cover story for Orien?
(a) He was Birle's husband.
(b) He was the Earl of Sutherland.
(c) He was a groom delivering himself and the horse to a Lord.
(d) He was a ministral.
5. What does Joaquim teach Yul how to do?
6. What is revealed about Corbel's wife, Celinde?
(a) She is a grand lady.
(b) She is a child.
(c) She is with child.
(d) She is a rich old woman.
7. How does Orien's brother greet him?
8. What does Birle convince Joaquim to do at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) Take the slaves with him.
(b) Free all the slaves.
(c) Give her more money.
(d) Not leave.
9. In front of what does Birle sit at the beginning of Chapter 24?
(a) The castle.
(b) The river.
(c) Her holding.
(d) The Inn.
10. When Birle tells Joaquim of the Kingdom, what does he think of it?
(a) He thinks of it as a magical kingdom.
(b) He thinks of it as a war-zone kingdom.
(c) He thinks of it as a famine-filled kingdom.
(d) He thinks of it as a non-existant kingdom.
11. During what season are Birle and Orien currently traveling in Chapter 21?
12. Why does Joaquim save Birle from being taken by Corbel?
(a) She is useful to him.
(b) He cares for her like a daughter.
(c) He is in love with her.
(d) To protect her.
13. Who is inside the bundle of dirty clothes that Yul leans against the wall?
(b) The Little Mistress.
(c) The boy.
14. Why is the Earl (Orien's grandfather) initially impatient with Birle?
(a) Because she does not speak to him.
(b) Because she does not understand what it means to be a Lady.
(c) Because she has a village accent.
(d) Because she is low-born.
15. What can Nan tell about Birle without her saying anything?
(a) That Birle is pregnant.
(b) That Birle broke her own heart.
(c) That Birle is in love.
(d) That Birle is married.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Birle taken to be cared for in Chapter 22?
2. Who is the woman who sits with the Earl in his room?
3. Who is Damall?
4. What does Birle name her daughter?
5. What does Joaquim tell Birle to hope for?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)