|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Birle practice in the evenings with Joaquim?
2. What is Birle's main goal for going to the marketplace?
(a) To meet new people.
(b) To buy useful household items.
(c) To search for Joaquim's herbs.
(d) To look for Orien.
3. Where has Corbel gone for the summer?
(a) To the Kingdom.
(b) On vacation.
(c) Into the service of a prince.
(d) To search for pirates.
4. What day is nearing at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(b) Hearing Day.
(c) The Earl's birthday.
(d) Harvest Day.
5. What does Birle decide to reveal to Joaquim upon his questioning?
(a) Her ability to read.
(b) The story of her journey so far.
(c) The fact that she can catch fish easily.
(d) Her love for Orien.
6. When do Birle and Joaquim plan to leave the city?
(a) In two days.
(b) A day later.
(c) That day.
(d) Within a few hours.
7. What blocks the path of Birle, Yul, and Orien as they are escaping the city?
(c) An army of men.
8. What happened to Joaquim's wife?
(a) He never had a wife.
(b) She died from a summer fever.
(c) She drowned.
(d) She was murdered.
9. What does Birle tell Yul to do if he is mistreated?
(a) Run away.
(b) Crush Damall's head.
(c) Refuse to eat.
(d) Stomp on Damall.
10. What is revealed about Corbel's wife, Celinde?
(a) She is a rich old woman.
(b) She is a child.
(c) She is a grand lady.
(d) She is with child.
11. Once Orien is well, what happens to him at night?
(a) He is attacked by a dog.
(b) His wounds hurt.
(c) He has nightmares.
(d) He has insomnia.
12. What does Corbel suggest doing with Birle?
(a) Making her his second wife.
(b) Selling her away.
(c) Giving her as a gift to his wife.
(d) Having her marry Joaquim.
13. Why does Joaquim save Birle from being taken by Corbel?
(a) To protect her.
(b) He cares for her like a daughter.
(c) He is in love with her.
(d) She is useful to him.
14. Why is the Earl (Orien's grandfather) initially impatient with Birle?
(a) Because she does not speak to him.
(b) Because she is low-born.
(c) Because she does not understand what it means to be a Lady.
(d) Because she has a village accent.
15. What does Damall do for Birle, Yul and Orien after meeting them?
(a) He has them returned to Corbel.
(b) He has them taken to the mines.
(c) He has their chains and collars removed.
(d) He has them caged.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birle discover has happened to Orien when she reaches his place?
2. What is another thing the Earl reveals to Birle in Chapter 23?
3. How long has it been since the beginning of the novel at the point where Birle and Orien finally are reunited during their time in slavery?
4. If people in the Kingdom asked, what was Birle and Orien's cover story for Orien?
5. Why does Damall not want to let Birle, Yul, and Orien go free just yet in Chapter 20?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)