|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Birle suggest Orien do?
(a) Send a letter to his grandfather.
(b) Run away to the Kingdom.
(c) Run away to the Philosopher's house.
(d) Stay where he is and she will get him out.
2. What keeps Birle on the move while working as a slave?
3. Once Orien is well, what happens to him at night?
(a) He has nightmares.
(b) He is attacked by a dog.
(c) He has insomnia.
(d) His wounds hurt.
4. How does Orien move about during the escape from the city after Joaquim goes his own way?
(a) With a cane.
(b) Yul carries him.
(c) On crutches.
(d) He is paralyzed.
5. If people in the Kingdom asked, what was Birle and Orien's cover story for Orien?
(a) He was a groom delivering himself and the horse to a Lord.
(b) He was Birle's husband.
(c) He was a ministral.
(d) He was the Earl of Sutherland.
6. What does Birle realize after seeing Orien disappear after he sees her?
(a) He does not remember her.
(b) He loves her too much that it's painful.
(c) He does not want to meet with her.
(d) He hates her.
7. Who does Birle learn that the hands belong to?
(a) Orien and his master.
(b) Ker and Torson.
(c) Corbel's soldiers.
(d) The boy.
8. What does Damall suggest as a deal to Birle in Chapter 20?
(a) He keeps Birle while Yul and Orien go free.
(b) He keeps Orien while Yul and Birle go free.
(c) He keeps Yul while Birle and Orien go free.
(d) He keeps Orien and Yul and Birle goes free.
9. To whom is Birle taken to be cared for in Chapter 22?
(a) Gladaegal's wife.
(b) The maidservants.
(c) Orien's grandfather.
10. What does the Earl reveal to Birle in Chapter 23?
(a) That he knows who she really is.
(b) That he does not like her.
(c) That he does not think she and Orien suit one another.
(d) That he knew her grandparents.
11. Who is revealed to have murdered Orien's father?
(b) The Earl.
(c) A huntsman seeking revenge.
(d) Gladaegal's wife.
12. What is Joaquim's goal?
(a) To grow a herb garden.
(b) To transmute anything into gold.
(c) To write a book of herbs.
(d) To transmute other metals into gold.
13. What is Yul afraid of when he and Birle go to the marketplace?
(a) Getting sold to someone else.
(c) Getting separated and lost from her.
(d) Being killed by those who hate him.
14. What do the notices around the city state?
(a) A reminder that Corbel is the ruler.
(b) A wanted poster for Orien.
(c) A warning to slaves not to escape.
(d) A feast to celebrate the Prince's one year of rule.
15. What does Joaquim give Birle?
(b) A chance to see Orien.
(d) His wife's old clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Joaquim's wife?
2. What does Yul do to give alert to Birle in Chapter 19 during their escape from the city?
3. What day is nearing at the beginning of Chapter 22?
4. What is revealed about Corbel's wife, Celinde?
5. In front of what does Birle sit at the beginning of Chapter 24?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)