|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Damall?
(a) The head robber.
(b) The wild man.
(c) The king's general.
(d) Corbel's spy.
2. Why are there two hands nailed to a board?
(a) Because two men stole money.
(b) Because two men died defending Corbel.
(c) Because two men cheated Corbel.
(d) Because two slaves tried to escape.
3. What saves Birle from Corbel's fate?
(a) Her crying.
(b) Her cooking.
(c) Her fighting.
(d) Her education.
4. What does Birle warn Orien about when she is finally able to talk with him?
(a) The winter fever.
(b) The plague.
(c) The cruelty of Corbel.
(d) The coming war.
5. What does Damall do for Birle, Yul and Orien after meeting them?
(a) He has them caged.
(b) He has their chains and collars removed.
(c) He has them taken to the mines.
(d) He has them returned to Corbel.
6. What does Birle do to keep her mind distracted from Orien?
7. What does Damall suggest as a deal to Birle in Chapter 20?
(a) He keeps Orien and Yul and Birle goes free.
(b) He keeps Yul while Birle and Orien go free.
(c) He keeps Birle while Yul and Orien go free.
(d) He keeps Orien while Yul and Birle go free.
8. What does Birle hope to accomplish at the marketplace in Chapter 13?
(b) Purchasing bread.
(c) Finding another master.
(d) Seeing Orien.
9. What does Birle convince Joaquim to do at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) Give her more money.
(b) Not leave.
(c) Free all the slaves.
(d) Take the slaves with him.
10. What changes in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21?
(a) They are now man and woman.
(b) Orien adopts Birle as his sister.
(c) Birle no longer loves Orien, but he is now the one who loves her.
(d) They are now best friends.
11. Where does Birle think she and Orien will be the safest as Orien heals?
(a) By the shore.
(b) At the village they pass.
(c) Deep into the forest.
(d) Back at the rocks.
12. Why is the Earl (Orien's grandfather) initially impatient with Birle?
(a) Because she has a village accent.
(b) Because she does not understand what it means to be a Lady.
(c) Because she does not speak to him.
(d) Because she is low-born.
13. How does Orien move about during the escape from the city after Joaquim goes his own way?
(a) He is paralyzed.
(b) With a cane.
(c) On crutches.
(d) Yul carries him.
14. What happened to Joaquim's wife?
(a) She drowned.
(b) He never had a wife.
(c) She was murdered.
(d) She died from a summer fever.
15. What is revealed about Corbel's wife, Celinde?
(a) She is a rich old woman.
(b) She is a child.
(c) She is with child.
(d) She is a grand lady.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the nailed hands represent?
2. What does Birle realize after seeing Orien disappear after he sees her?
3. Why does Joaquim save Birle from being taken by Corbel?
4. What does Birle request of the Earl and his Lady near the end of Chapter 23?
5. Who does Joaquim say has fled the city after Corbel's marriage?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)