|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Yul afraid of when he and Birle go to the marketplace?
(b) Getting sold to someone else.
(c) Getting separated and lost from her.
(d) Being killed by those who hate him.
2. Why does Damall not want to let Birle, Yul, and Orien go free just yet in Chapter 20?
(a) He wants Birle to heal one of his men.
(b) He wants to ransom Orien.
(c) He wants to use Birle's cleaning skills.
(d) He is wary and is afraid of being betrayed.
3. What happens at the end of Chapter 19?
(a) A figure jumps out and threatens to kill Birle.
(b) Corbel finds them and threatens to kill them.
(c) The army of men have found them.
(d) Orien dies.
4. Where does Birle think she and Orien will be the safest as Orien heals?
(a) By the shore.
(b) Back at the rocks.
(c) Deep into the forest.
(d) At the village they pass.
5. What saves Birle from Corbel's fate?
(a) Her crying.
(b) Her education.
(c) Her cooking.
(d) Her fighting.
6. Why is the Earl (Orien's grandfather) initially impatient with Birle?
(a) Because she has a village accent.
(b) Because she is low-born.
(c) Because she does not speak to him.
(d) Because she does not understand what it means to be a Lady.
7. How does Orien move about during the escape from the city after Joaquim goes his own way?
(a) He is paralyzed.
(b) On crutches.
(c) With a cane.
(d) Yul carries him.
8. What blocks the path of Birle, Yul, and Orien as they are escaping the city?
(a) An army of men.
9. What does Corbel suggest doing with Birle?
(a) Giving her as a gift to his wife.
(b) Having her marry Joaquim.
(c) Selling her away.
(d) Making her his second wife.
10. Who is revealed to have murdered Orien's father?
(b) The Earl.
(c) Gladaegal's wife.
(d) A huntsman seeking revenge.
11. If someone asked Birle who she was, what would she be most likely to answer in Chapter 22?
(a) An Innkeeper's Daughter.
(b) The Philosopher's maid.
(c) Orien's Lady.
(d) Yul's friend.
12. What does Joaquim tell Birle to hope for?
(a) Orien being re-sold elsewhere.
(b) Orien's quick death.
(c) Corbel purchasing Orien.
(d) Orien escaping the mines.
13. Why does Corbel get angry with Birle?
(a) Because she distracts the soldiers.
(b) Because she is dirty.
(c) Because Joaquim's labratory is dirty.
(d) Because she cannot understand Yul.
14. What does the Earl reveal to Birle in Chapter 23?
(a) That he knew her grandparents.
(b) That he does not think she and Orien suit one another.
(c) That he knows who she really is.
(d) That he does not like her.
15. Who is Damall?
(a) The wild man.
(b) Corbel's spy.
(c) The king's general.
(d) The head robber.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birle decide to reveal to Joaquim upon his questioning?
2. If people in the Kingdom asked, what was Birle and Orien's cover story for Orien?
3. As Birle leaves to go find Orien, who does she run into?
4. Where has Corbel gone for the summer?
5. What does Birle tell Yul to do if they get parted at the marketplace?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)