|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is revealed to have murdered Orien's father?
(b) A huntsman seeking revenge.
(c) The Earl.
(d) Gladaegal's wife.
2. What saves Birle from Corbel's fate?
(a) Her education.
(b) Her fighting.
(c) Her crying.
(d) Her cooking.
3. As Birle leaves to go find Orien, who does she run into?
(d) The Little Mistress.
4. What can Nan tell about Birle without her saying anything?
(a) That Birle is pregnant.
(b) That Birle is married.
(c) That Birle is in love.
(d) That Birle broke her own heart.
5. What does Damall suggest as a deal to Birle in Chapter 20?
(a) He keeps Yul while Birle and Orien go free.
(b) He keeps Birle while Yul and Orien go free.
(c) He keeps Orien and Yul and Birle goes free.
(d) He keeps Orien while Yul and Birle go free.
6. How does Damall suggest Birle leave?
(a) On a boat down the river.
(b) At night while Yul is sleeping.
(c) By carrying Orien on her back.
(d) In broad daylight.
7. What does Yul do to give alert to Birle in Chapter 19 during their escape from the city?
(a) Snarl mutely.
(b) Jump up and down.
8. Why does Joaquim save Birle from being taken by Corbel?
(a) He cares for her like a daughter.
(b) He is in love with her.
(c) She is useful to him.
(d) To protect her.
9. What happened to Joaquim's wife?
(a) She died from a summer fever.
(b) She drowned.
(c) He never had a wife.
(d) She was murdered.
10. Where has Corbel gone for the summer?
(a) Into the service of a prince.
(b) To the Kingdom.
(c) To search for pirates.
(d) On vacation.
11. If people in the Kingdom asked, what was Birle and Orien's cover story for Orien?
(a) He was a ministral.
(b) He was a groom delivering himself and the horse to a Lord.
(c) He was Birle's husband.
(d) He was the Earl of Sutherland.
12. What does Joaquim announce to Birle near the end of Chapter 18?
(a) That he is really Corbel's father.
(b) That he is leaving the city.
(c) That he has finally achieved alchemy.
(d) That he intends to marry her.
13. What does Birle practice in the evenings with Joaquim?
14. Why is the Earl (Orien's grandfather) initially impatient with Birle?
(a) Because she has a village accent.
(b) Because she does not speak to him.
(c) Because she is low-born.
(d) Because she does not understand what it means to be a Lady.
15. Why does Corbel get angry with Birle?
(a) Because she cannot understand Yul.
(b) Because she is dirty.
(c) Because Joaquim's labratory is dirty.
(d) Because she distracts the soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another thing the Earl reveals to Birle in Chapter 23?
2. What does Birle convince Joaquim to do at the beginning of Chapter 19?
3. What blocks the path of Birle, Yul, and Orien as they are escaping the city?
4. What does Joaquim give Birle?
5. What does Birle warn Orien about when she is finally able to talk with him?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)