|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Birle learn that the hands belong to?
(a) Ker and Torson.
(b) Orien and his master.
(c) Corbel's soldiers.
(d) The boy.
2. How is Corbel's absence an advantage to Joaquim?
(a) He can be kinder to Birle and Yul.
(b) He can leave the house.
(c) He can relax.
(d) He can work on his herb book.
3. Who is the woman who sits with the Earl in his room?
(a) Orien's grandmother.
(b) Orien's sister.
(c) Orien's aunt.
(d) Orien's mother.
4. How does Orien move about during the escape from the city after Joaquim goes his own way?
(a) He is paralyzed.
(b) With a cane.
(c) On crutches.
(d) Yul carries him.
5. Where has Corbel gone for the summer?
(a) To search for pirates.
(b) Into the service of a prince.
(c) On vacation.
(d) To the Kingdom.
6. Where are Birle and Orien headed in Chapter 21?
(a) To the rock.
(b) To the Kingdom.
(c) Far away.
(d) To the port city.
7. What is Yul afraid of when he and Birle go to the marketplace?
(a) Getting separated and lost from her.
(b) Being killed by those who hate him.
(d) Getting sold to someone else.
8. Why does Joaquim save Birle from being taken by Corbel?
(a) He is in love with her.
(b) She is useful to him.
(c) He cares for her like a daughter.
(d) To protect her.
9. What does Birle tell Yul to do if they get parted at the marketplace?
(a) To stand still.
(b) To go back home.
(c) To call out her name.
(d) To look for her.
10. What does the Earl reveal to Birle in Chapter 23?
(a) That he knew her grandparents.
(b) That he knows who she really is.
(c) That he does not like her.
(d) That he does not think she and Orien suit one another.
11. What can Nan tell about Birle without her saying anything?
(a) That Birle is in love.
(b) That Birle broke her own heart.
(c) That Birle is married.
(d) That Birle is pregnant.
12. How long has it been since the beginning of the novel at the point where Birle and Orien finally are reunited during their time in slavery?
(a) A few weeks.
(b) Two years.
(c) A year.
(d) Six months.
13. Who is the first person of Birle's family to spot her after her return home?
14. How does Damall suggest Birle leave?
(a) In broad daylight.
(b) By carrying Orien on her back.
(c) At night while Yul is sleeping.
(d) On a boat down the river.
15. Why are there two hands nailed to a board?
(a) Because two slaves tried to escape.
(b) Because two men stole money.
(c) Because two men cheated Corbel.
(d) Because two men died defending Corbel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Orien about Hearing Day?
2. What does Damall suggest as a deal to Birle in Chapter 20?
3. What does Birle realize after seeing Orien disappear after he sees her?
4. What day is nearing at the beginning of Chapter 22?
5. What does Birle convince Joaquim to do at the beginning of Chapter 19?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)