|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Birle decide to reveal to Joaquim upon his questioning?
(a) Her love for Orien.
(b) The fact that she can catch fish easily.
(c) Her ability to read.
(d) The story of her journey so far.
2. What day is nearing at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(a) The Earl's birthday.
(c) Harvest Day.
(d) Hearing Day.
3. What does Birle do to keep her mind distracted from Orien?
4. What does Birle discover has happened to Orien when she reaches his place?
(a) He has already been taken to the mines.
(b) He has already runaway on his own.
(c) He is sick with fever.
(d) His master took him into the army with him.
5. What do the nailed hands represent?
(a) Corbel's power.
(b) Ker and Torson's slave trade.
(c) The king's power.
(d) The injustice of slavery.
6. Why does Damall not want to let Birle, Yul, and Orien go free just yet in Chapter 20?
(a) He wants to use Birle's cleaning skills.
(b) He wants Birle to heal one of his men.
(c) He wants to ransom Orien.
(d) He is wary and is afraid of being betrayed.
7. Why does Joaquim save Birle from being taken by Corbel?
(a) She is useful to him.
(b) To protect her.
(c) He is in love with her.
(d) He cares for her like a daughter.
8. How does Damall suggest Birle leave?
(a) By carrying Orien on her back.
(b) In broad daylight.
(c) At night while Yul is sleeping.
(d) On a boat down the river.
9. Why does Corbel get angry with Birle?
(a) Because she cannot understand Yul.
(b) Because she distracts the soldiers.
(c) Because Joaquim's labratory is dirty.
(d) Because she is dirty.
10. What does Yul do to give alert to Birle in Chapter 19 during their escape from the city?
(a) Snarl mutely.
(d) Jump up and down.
11. Who is the first person of Birle's family to spot her after her return home?
12. What surprises Orien about Hearing Day?
(a) That it is so long.
(b) That it is run by his grandfather.
(c) That it is so short.
(d) That it is not organized.
13. What does Birle realize after seeing Orien disappear after he sees her?
(a) He loves her too much that it's painful.
(b) He hates her.
(c) He does not remember her.
(d) He does not want to meet with her.
14. Who does Birle learn that the hands belong to?
(a) Corbel's soldiers.
(b) Orien and his master.
(c) The boy.
(d) Ker and Torson.
15. Why does Orien present Birle with two silver fish?
(a) To profess his love.
(b) To show is gratitude.
(c) To eat for dinner.
(d) To show his loyalty.
Short Answer Questions
1. In front of what does Birle sit at the beginning of Chapter 24?
2. What happens at the end of Chapter 19?
3. What does Birle warn Orien about when she is finally able to talk with him?
4. How does Orien's brother greet him?
5. How long has it been since the beginning of the novel at the point where Birle and Orien finally are reunited during their time in slavery?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)