|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joaquim tell Birle to hope for?
(a) Orien escaping the mines.
(b) Orien being re-sold elsewhere.
(c) Corbel purchasing Orien.
(d) Orien's quick death.
2. Who is inside the bundle of dirty clothes that Yul leans against the wall?
(b) The Little Mistress.
(d) The boy.
3. What does Birle convince Joaquim to do at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) Take the slaves with him.
(b) Give her more money.
(c) Not leave.
(d) Free all the slaves.
4. What does Corbel suggest doing with Birle?
(a) Giving her as a gift to his wife.
(b) Having her marry Joaquim.
(c) Selling her away.
(d) Making her his second wife.
5. If someone asked Birle who she was, what would she be most likely to answer in Chapter 22?
(a) An Innkeeper's Daughter.
(b) Yul's friend.
(c) The Philosopher's maid.
(d) Orien's Lady.
6. Why does Corbel get angry with Birle?
(a) Because Joaquim's labratory is dirty.
(b) Because she cannot understand Yul.
(c) Because she is dirty.
(d) Because she distracts the soldiers.
7. What does Joaquim announce to Birle near the end of Chapter 18?
(a) That he intends to marry her.
(b) That he is leaving the city.
(c) That he has finally achieved alchemy.
(d) That he is really Corbel's father.
8. Why is the Earl (Orien's grandfather) initially impatient with Birle?
(a) Because she does not speak to him.
(b) Because she has a village accent.
(c) Because she does not understand what it means to be a Lady.
(d) Because she is low-born.
9. What happened to Joaquim's wife?
(a) She was murdered.
(b) She drowned.
(c) She died from a summer fever.
(d) He never had a wife.
10. What can Nan tell about Birle without her saying anything?
(a) That Birle is pregnant.
(b) That Birle is in love.
(c) That Birle is married.
(d) That Birle broke her own heart.
11. How does Damall suggest Birle leave?
(a) By carrying Orien on her back.
(b) In broad daylight.
(c) At night while Yul is sleeping.
(d) On a boat down the river.
12. When Birle tells Joaquim of the Kingdom, what does he think of it?
(a) He thinks of it as a non-existant kingdom.
(b) He thinks of it as a magical kingdom.
(c) He thinks of it as a famine-filled kingdom.
(d) He thinks of it as a war-zone kingdom.
13. What does Yul do to give alert to Birle in Chapter 19 during their escape from the city?
(c) Snarl mutely.
(d) Jump up and down.
14. What does Joaquim teach Yul how to do?
15. To whom is Birle taken to be cared for in Chapter 22?
(b) The maidservants.
(c) Gladaegal's wife.
(d) Orien's grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birle tell Yul to do if he is mistreated?
2. Why does Joaquim save Birle from being taken by Corbel?
3. What changes in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21?
4. What does Birle warn Orien about when she is finally able to talk with him?
5. What is Yul afraid of when he and Birle go to the marketplace?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)