|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Birle tells Joaquim of the Kingdom, what does he think of it?
(a) He thinks of it as a war-zone kingdom.
(b) He thinks of it as a famine-filled kingdom.
(c) He thinks of it as a non-existant kingdom.
(d) He thinks of it as a magical kingdom.
2. What saves Birle from Corbel's fate?
(a) Her fighting.
(b) Her cooking.
(c) Her education.
(d) Her crying.
3. What day is nearing at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(b) Harvest Day.
(c) The Earl's birthday.
(d) Hearing Day.
4. Why does Corbel get angry with Birle?
(a) Because she is dirty.
(b) Because she distracts the soldiers.
(c) Because Joaquim's labratory is dirty.
(d) Because she cannot understand Yul.
5. Where has Corbel gone for the summer?
(a) On vacation.
(b) To search for pirates.
(c) Into the service of a prince.
(d) To the Kingdom.
6. What does Joaquim tell Birle will happen eventually in the city because of Corbel's marriage?
(a) A civil battle.
(b) A war.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A birth.
7. To whom is Birle taken to be cared for in Chapter 22?
(a) Orien's grandfather.
(b) The maidservants.
(c) Gladaegal's wife.
8. If someone asked Birle who she was, what would she be most likely to answer in Chapter 22?
(a) Orien's Lady.
(b) Yul's friend.
(c) An Innkeeper's Daughter.
(d) The Philosopher's maid.
9. What changes in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21?
(a) Birle no longer loves Orien, but he is now the one who loves her.
(b) They are now man and woman.
(c) They are now best friends.
(d) Orien adopts Birle as his sister.
10. What is Yul afraid of when he and Birle go to the marketplace?
(a) Getting sold to someone else.
(b) Getting separated and lost from her.
(d) Being killed by those who hate him.
11. Once Orien is well, what happens to him at night?
(a) His wounds hurt.
(b) He has nightmares.
(c) He is attacked by a dog.
(d) He has insomnia.
12. What does Damall do for Birle, Yul and Orien after meeting them?
(a) He has their chains and collars removed.
(b) He has them returned to Corbel.
(c) He has them taken to the mines.
(d) He has them caged.
13. What is Birle's main goal for going to the marketplace?
(a) To buy useful household items.
(b) To search for Joaquim's herbs.
(c) To look for Orien.
(d) To meet new people.
14. How does Orien's brother greet him?
15. What does Corbel suggest doing with Birle?
(a) Giving her as a gift to his wife.
(b) Having her marry Joaquim.
(c) Selling her away.
(d) Making her his second wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joaquim announce to Birle near the end of Chapter 18?
2. What does Joaquim tell Birle to hope for?
3. Where does Birle think she and Orien will be the safest as Orien heals?
4. What can Nan tell about Birle without her saying anything?
5. What does Birle convince Joaquim to do at the beginning of Chapter 19?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)