|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the nailed hands represent?
(a) The king's power.
(b) The injustice of slavery.
(c) Corbel's power.
(d) Ker and Torson's slave trade.
2. How is Corbel's absence an advantage to Joaquim?
(a) He can relax.
(b) He can leave the house.
(c) He can work on his herb book.
(d) He can be kinder to Birle and Yul.
3. What does Damall do for Birle, Yul and Orien after meeting them?
(a) He has them returned to Corbel.
(b) He has them caged.
(c) He has them taken to the mines.
(d) He has their chains and collars removed.
4. What happened to Joaquim's wife?
(a) She died from a summer fever.
(b) She drowned.
(c) He never had a wife.
(d) She was murdered.
5. Who is the first person of Birle's family to spot her after her return home?
6. What day is nearing at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(a) Hearing Day.
(c) The Earl's birthday.
(d) Harvest Day.
7. Who is inside the bundle of dirty clothes that Yul leans against the wall?
(a) The Little Mistress.
(d) The boy.
8. What does Corbel suggest doing with Birle?
(a) Making her his second wife.
(b) Selling her away.
(c) Having her marry Joaquim.
(d) Giving her as a gift to his wife.
9. What do the notices around the city state?
(a) A reminder that Corbel is the ruler.
(b) A warning to slaves not to escape.
(c) A feast to celebrate the Prince's one year of rule.
(d) A wanted poster for Orien.
10. What keeps Birle on the move while working as a slave?
11. What happens at the end of Chapter 19?
(a) A figure jumps out and threatens to kill Birle.
(b) The army of men have found them.
(c) Corbel finds them and threatens to kill them.
(d) Orien dies.
12. What does the Earl reveal to Birle in Chapter 23?
(a) That he knew her grandparents.
(b) That he does not think she and Orien suit one another.
(c) That he knows who she really is.
(d) That he does not like her.
13. How long has it been since the beginning of the novel at the point where Birle and Orien finally are reunited during their time in slavery?
(a) A year.
(b) Six months.
(c) A few weeks.
(d) Two years.
14. What saves Birle from Corbel's fate?
(a) Her crying.
(b) Her fighting.
(c) Her education.
(d) Her cooking.
15. Who does Joaquim say has fled the city after Corbel's marriage?
(b) The guildsmen.
(c) The priests.
(d) Corbel's soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birle hope to accomplish at the marketplace in Chapter 13?
2. What blocks the path of Birle, Yul, and Orien as they are escaping the city?
3. What is Birle's main goal for going to the marketplace?
4. What does Joaquim tell Birle to hope for?
5. When do Birle and Joaquim plan to leave the city?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)