|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is inside the bundle of dirty clothes that Yul leans against the wall?
(c) The boy.
(d) The Little Mistress.
2. What happens at the end of Chapter 19?
(a) The army of men have found them.
(b) Corbel finds them and threatens to kill them.
(c) Orien dies.
(d) A figure jumps out and threatens to kill Birle.
3. What does Birle request of the Earl and his Lady near the end of Chapter 23?
(a) To wed Orien immediately.
(b) To leave the castle and not return.
(c) To have her family brought to the castle.
(d) To give birth to her child in the castle.
4. What does Joaquim announce to Birle near the end of Chapter 18?
(a) That he has finally achieved alchemy.
(b) That he is leaving the city.
(c) That he intends to marry her.
(d) That he is really Corbel's father.
5. What keeps Birle on the move while working as a slave?
6. What does Birle warn Orien about when she is finally able to talk with him?
(a) The cruelty of Corbel.
(b) The winter fever.
(c) The coming war.
(d) The plague.
7. Where are Birle and Orien headed in Chapter 21?
(a) Far away.
(b) To the port city.
(c) To the Kingdom.
(d) To the rock.
8. What does Corbel suggest doing with Birle?
(a) Making her his second wife.
(b) Selling her away.
(c) Having her marry Joaquim.
(d) Giving her as a gift to his wife.
9. What does Birle realize after seeing Orien disappear after he sees her?
(a) He does not remember her.
(b) He loves her too much that it's painful.
(c) He hates her.
(d) He does not want to meet with her.
10. What does Birle hope to accomplish at the marketplace in Chapter 13?
(a) Finding another master.
(b) Purchasing bread.
(c) Seeing Orien.
11. Who is revealed to have murdered Orien's father?
(a) The Earl.
(c) Gladaegal's wife.
(d) A huntsman seeking revenge.
12. Why does Orien present Birle with two silver fish?
(a) To eat for dinner.
(b) To show his loyalty.
(c) To profess his love.
(d) To show is gratitude.
13. How is Corbel's absence an advantage to Joaquim?
(a) He can be kinder to Birle and Yul.
(b) He can relax.
(c) He can work on his herb book.
(d) He can leave the house.
14. Why are there two hands nailed to a board?
(a) Because two men cheated Corbel.
(b) Because two men stole money.
(c) Because two men died defending Corbel.
(d) Because two slaves tried to escape.
15. What surprises Orien about Hearing Day?
(a) That it is not organized.
(b) That it is run by his grandfather.
(c) That it is so short.
(d) That it is so long.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Damall not want to let Birle, Yul, and Orien go free just yet in Chapter 20?
2. Who is Damall?
3. If someone asked Birle who she was, what would she be most likely to answer in Chapter 22?
4. What changes in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21?
5. What is Yul afraid of when he and Birle go to the marketplace?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)