|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Birle learn that the hands belong to?
(a) Ker and Torson.
(b) Corbel's soldiers.
(c) Orien and his master.
(d) The boy.
2. What does Corbel suggest doing with Birle?
(a) Giving her as a gift to his wife.
(b) Selling her away.
(c) Having her marry Joaquim.
(d) Making her his second wife.
3. What does Birle suggest Orien do?
(a) Run away to the Kingdom.
(b) Send a letter to his grandfather.
(c) Run away to the Philosopher's house.
(d) Stay where he is and she will get him out.
4. As Birle leaves to go find Orien, who does she run into?
(b) The Little Mistress.
5. Who is revealed to have murdered Orien's father?
(b) The Earl.
(c) A huntsman seeking revenge.
(d) Gladaegal's wife.
6. What is Yul afraid of when he and Birle go to the marketplace?
(a) Getting sold to someone else.
(b) Getting separated and lost from her.
(d) Being killed by those who hate him.
7. What does Birle name her daughter?
8. Why does Damall not want to let Birle, Yul, and Orien go free just yet in Chapter 20?
(a) He wants to ransom Orien.
(b) He wants Birle to heal one of his men.
(c) He wants to use Birle's cleaning skills.
(d) He is wary and is afraid of being betrayed.
9. What is another thing the Earl reveals to Birle in Chapter 23?
(a) He saw her as a baby.
(b) He does not think she and Orien suit one another.
(c) He is the one who taught her grandparents to read and write.
(d) He is her real grandfather.
10. What does Damall suggest as a deal to Birle in Chapter 20?
(a) He keeps Birle while Yul and Orien go free.
(b) He keeps Orien while Yul and Birle go free.
(c) He keeps Yul while Birle and Orien go free.
(d) He keeps Orien and Yul and Birle goes free.
11. How long has it been since the beginning of the novel at the point where Birle and Orien finally are reunited during their time in slavery?
(a) A year.
(b) A few weeks.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two years.
12. Where does Birle think she and Orien will be the safest as Orien heals?
(a) By the shore.
(b) Deep into the forest.
(c) Back at the rocks.
(d) At the village they pass.
13. Who does Joaquim say has fled the city after Corbel's marriage?
(a) The guildsmen.
(b) Corbel's soldiers.
(c) The priests.
14. Why are there two hands nailed to a board?
(a) Because two slaves tried to escape.
(b) Because two men died defending Corbel.
(c) Because two men cheated Corbel.
(d) Because two men stole money.
15. Why is the Earl (Orien's grandfather) initially impatient with Birle?
(a) Because she does not understand what it means to be a Lady.
(b) Because she has a village accent.
(c) Because she is low-born.
(d) Because she does not speak to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Joaquim's goal?
2. What does the Earl reveal to Birle in Chapter 23?
3. It is soon known by the people of the city that Birle is what?
4. What does Birle hope to accomplish at the marketplace in Chapter 13?
5. What does Joaquim announce to Birle near the end of Chapter 18?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)