|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joaquim announce to Birle near the end of Chapter 18?
(a) That he is really Corbel's father.
(b) That he intends to marry her.
(c) That he is leaving the city.
(d) That he has finally achieved alchemy.
2. Once Orien is well, what happens to him at night?
(a) He has nightmares.
(b) His wounds hurt.
(c) He has insomnia.
(d) He is attacked by a dog.
3. What can Nan tell about Birle without her saying anything?
(a) That Birle is pregnant.
(b) That Birle is married.
(c) That Birle broke her own heart.
(d) That Birle is in love.
4. What surprises Orien about Hearing Day?
(a) That it is not organized.
(b) That it is run by his grandfather.
(c) That it is so long.
(d) That it is so short.
5. What is Joaquim's goal?
(a) To grow a herb garden.
(b) To transmute anything into gold.
(c) To transmute other metals into gold.
(d) To write a book of herbs.
6. Why does Corbel get angry with Birle?
(a) Because Joaquim's labratory is dirty.
(b) Because she distracts the soldiers.
(c) Because she is dirty.
(d) Because she cannot understand Yul.
7. What does Corbel suggest doing with Birle?
(a) Having her marry Joaquim.
(b) Giving her as a gift to his wife.
(c) Selling her away.
(d) Making her his second wife.
8. What does Birle tell Yul to do if they get parted at the marketplace?
(a) To call out her name.
(b) To stand still.
(c) To look for her.
(d) To go back home.
9. To whom is Birle taken to be cared for in Chapter 22?
(a) Orien's grandfather.
(c) Gladaegal's wife.
(d) The maidservants.
10. What happened to Joaquim's wife?
(a) She was murdered.
(b) He never had a wife.
(c) She drowned.
(d) She died from a summer fever.
11. What is Yul afraid of when he and Birle go to the marketplace?
(a) Getting sold to someone else.
(b) Getting separated and lost from her.
(d) Being killed by those who hate him.
12. What does Yul do to give alert to Birle in Chapter 19 during their escape from the city?
(b) Snarl mutely.
(d) Jump up and down.
13. Why does Orien present Birle with two silver fish?
(a) To show his loyalty.
(b) To eat for dinner.
(c) To show is gratitude.
(d) To profess his love.
14. What changes in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21?
(a) Birle no longer loves Orien, but he is now the one who loves her.
(b) They are now man and woman.
(c) Orien adopts Birle as his sister.
(d) They are now best friends.
15. What does Birle discover has happened to Orien when she reaches his place?
(a) He is sick with fever.
(b) His master took him into the army with him.
(c) He has already been taken to the mines.
(d) He has already runaway on his own.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birle decide to reveal to Joaquim upon his questioning?
2. How is Corbel's absence an advantage to Joaquim?
3. What is revealed about Corbel's wife, Celinde?
4. How does Orien's brother greet him?
5. What blocks the path of Birle, Yul, and Orien as they are escaping the city?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)