|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Birle warn Orien about when she is finally able to talk with him?
(a) The winter fever.
(b) The plague.
(c) The cruelty of Corbel.
(d) The coming war.
2. Who is the woman who sits with the Earl in his room?
(a) Orien's aunt.
(b) Orien's grandmother.
(c) Orien's sister.
(d) Orien's mother.
3. What blocks the path of Birle, Yul, and Orien as they are escaping the city?
(d) An army of men.
4. Where are Birle and Orien headed in Chapter 21?
(a) To the rock.
(b) To the Kingdom.
(c) Far away.
(d) To the port city.
5. What were Nan and Da planning to do with Birle before her wedding to Muir?
(a) Force her to leave the country.
(b) Tie her to the bed and tell Muir she had a spotted fever.
(c) Tie her to the bed and tell Muir she only had days to live.
(d) Take her away to another village until Muir gave up.
6. What is revealed about Corbel's wife, Celinde?
(a) She is a rich old woman.
(b) She is a grand lady.
(c) She is with child.
(d) She is a child.
7. What day is nearing at the beginning of Chapter 22?
(b) Hearing Day.
(c) The Earl's birthday.
(d) Harvest Day.
8. Who does Joaquim say has fled the city after Corbel's marriage?
(b) The priests.
(c) The guildsmen.
(d) Corbel's soldiers.
9. What does Birle realize about Nan's scolding?
(a) It is her way of getting her anger out.
(b) It is her way of getting things done.
(c) It is her way of telling Birle she is incompetent.
(d) It is her way of showing care.
10. What is Birle's main goal for going to the marketplace?
(a) To search for Joaquim's herbs.
(b) To meet new people.
(c) To look for Orien.
(d) To buy useful household items.
11. What does Birle realize after seeing Orien disappear after he sees her?
(a) He does not remember her.
(b) He does not want to meet with her.
(c) He hates her.
(d) He loves her too much that it's painful.
12. Why does Corbel get angry with Birle?
(a) Because she distracts the soldiers.
(b) Because she is dirty.
(c) Because she cannot understand Yul.
(d) Because Joaquim's labratory is dirty.
13. What does Birle tell Yul to do if they get parted at the marketplace?
(a) To stand still.
(b) To go back home.
(c) To look for her.
(d) To call out her name.
14. When do Birle and Joaquim plan to leave the city?
(a) A day later.
(b) In two days.
(c) That day.
(d) Within a few hours.
15. What does Birle hope to accomplish at the marketplace in Chapter 13?
(b) Purchasing bread.
(c) Seeing Orien.
(d) Finding another master.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Birle tells Joaquim of the Kingdom, what does he think of it?
2. What does Birle suggest Orien do?
3. Why does Joaquim save Birle from being taken by Corbel?
4. What keeps Birle on the move while working as a slave?
5. To whom is Birle taken to be cared for in Chapter 22?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)