|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Orien about Hearing Day?
(a) That it is run by his grandfather.
(b) That it is so long.
(c) That it is not organized.
(d) That it is so short.
2. If someone asked Birle who she was, what would she be most likely to answer in Chapter 22?
(a) Yul's friend.
(b) The Philosopher's maid.
(c) Orien's Lady.
(d) An Innkeeper's Daughter.
3. Why are there two hands nailed to a board?
(a) Because two slaves tried to escape.
(b) Because two men cheated Corbel.
(c) Because two men stole money.
(d) Because two men died defending Corbel.
4. How long has it been since the beginning of the novel at the point where Birle and Orien finally are reunited during their time in slavery?
(a) A few weeks.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two years.
(d) A year.
5. What does Birle tell Yul to do if he is mistreated?
(a) Stomp on Damall.
(b) Run away.
(c) Crush Damall's head.
(d) Refuse to eat.
6. What does Joaquim give Birle?
(a) His wife's old clothing.
(b) A chance to see Orien.
7. Who is Damall?
(a) The head robber.
(b) The wild man.
(c) The king's general.
(d) Corbel's spy.
8. What saves Birle from Corbel's fate?
(a) Her crying.
(b) Her education.
(c) Her cooking.
(d) Her fighting.
9. It is soon known by the people of the city that Birle is what?
(a) Orien's intended.
(b) Corbel's slave.
(c) The Philosopher's maid.
(d) Yul's guard.
10. What does Birle suggest Orien do?
(a) Run away to the Kingdom.
(b) Stay where he is and she will get him out.
(c) Run away to the Philosopher's house.
(d) Send a letter to his grandfather.
11. During what season are Birle and Orien currently traveling in Chapter 21?
12. What does Birle do to keep her mind distracted from Orien?
13. What is Yul afraid of when he and Birle go to the marketplace?
(b) Being killed by those who hate him.
(c) Getting separated and lost from her.
(d) Getting sold to someone else.
14. What does Birle tell Yul to do if they get parted at the marketplace?
(a) To call out her name.
(b) To go back home.
(c) To look for her.
(d) To stand still.
15. What does Yul do to give alert to Birle in Chapter 19 during their escape from the city?
(a) Jump up and down.
(d) Snarl mutely.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birle practice in the evenings with Joaquim?
2. What do the nailed hands represent?
3. To whom is Birle taken to be cared for in Chapter 22?
4. How does Orien move about during the escape from the city after Joaquim goes his own way?
5. What does Birle name her daughter?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)