|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If people in the Kingdom asked, what was Birle and Orien's cover story for Orien?
(a) He was a groom delivering himself and the horse to a Lord.
(b) He was a ministral.
(c) He was Birle's husband.
(d) He was the Earl of Sutherland.
2. Who does Birle learn that the hands belong to?
(a) The boy.
(b) Orien and his master.
(c) Corbel's soldiers.
(d) Ker and Torson.
3. What is Birle's main goal for going to the marketplace?
(a) To meet new people.
(b) To buy useful household items.
(c) To search for Joaquim's herbs.
(d) To look for Orien.
4. What does Birle practice in the evenings with Joaquim?
5. How is Corbel's absence an advantage to Joaquim?
(a) He can leave the house.
(b) He can be kinder to Birle and Yul.
(c) He can work on his herb book.
(d) He can relax.
6. What saves Birle from Corbel's fate?
(a) Her education.
(b) Her cooking.
(c) Her crying.
(d) Her fighting.
7. What surprises Orien about Hearing Day?
(a) That it is so long.
(b) That it is run by his grandfather.
(c) That it is so short.
(d) That it is not organized.
8. Why does Orien present Birle with two silver fish?
(a) To eat for dinner.
(b) To show is gratitude.
(c) To profess his love.
(d) To show his loyalty.
9. How does Orien's brother greet him?
10. What does Birle discover has happened to Orien when she reaches his place?
(a) He has already runaway on his own.
(b) His master took him into the army with him.
(c) He is sick with fever.
(d) He has already been taken to the mines.
11. As Birle leaves to go find Orien, who does she run into?
(a) The Little Mistress.
12. What does Joaquim teach Yul how to do?
13. What were Nan and Da planning to do with Birle before her wedding to Muir?
(a) Tie her to the bed and tell Muir she had a spotted fever.
(b) Tie her to the bed and tell Muir she only had days to live.
(c) Force her to leave the country.
(d) Take her away to another village until Muir gave up.
14. Who is the woman who sits with the Earl in his room?
(a) Orien's mother.
(b) Orien's sister.
(c) Orien's aunt.
(d) Orien's grandmother.
15. What does Birle warn Orien about when she is finally able to talk with him?
(a) The winter fever.
(b) The cruelty of Corbel.
(c) The plague.
(d) The coming war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens at the end of Chapter 19?
2. How long has it been since the beginning of the novel at the point where Birle and Orien finally are reunited during their time in slavery?
3. What does Damall suggest as a deal to Birle in Chapter 20?
4. How does Damall suggest Birle leave?
5. What can Nan tell about Birle without her saying anything?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)