|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is inside the bundle of dirty clothes that Yul leans against the wall?
(a) The Little Mistress.
(c) The boy.
2. What does Birle do to keep her mind distracted from Orien?
3. What does Birle decide to reveal to Joaquim upon his questioning?
(a) The fact that she can catch fish easily.
(b) Her ability to read.
(c) Her love for Orien.
(d) The story of her journey so far.
4. What does Birle realize after seeing Orien disappear after he sees her?
(a) He loves her too much that it's painful.
(b) He hates her.
(c) He does not remember her.
(d) He does not want to meet with her.
5. What does Birle tell Yul to do if they get parted at the marketplace?
(a) To go back home.
(b) To stand still.
(c) To call out her name.
(d) To look for her.
6. How does Orien move about during the escape from the city after Joaquim goes his own way?
(a) He is paralyzed.
(b) On crutches.
(c) Yul carries him.
(d) With a cane.
7. What does Birle tell Yul to do if he is mistreated?
(a) Refuse to eat.
(b) Crush Damall's head.
(c) Run away.
(d) Stomp on Damall.
8. How is Corbel's absence an advantage to Joaquim?
(a) He can work on his herb book.
(b) He can leave the house.
(c) He can be kinder to Birle and Yul.
(d) He can relax.
9. What keeps Birle on the move while working as a slave?
10. What saves Birle from Corbel's fate?
(a) Her cooking.
(b) Her fighting.
(c) Her crying.
(d) Her education.
11. What does Birle request of the Earl and his Lady near the end of Chapter 23?
(a) To leave the castle and not return.
(b) To have her family brought to the castle.
(c) To wed Orien immediately.
(d) To give birth to her child in the castle.
12. What happens at the end of Chapter 19?
(a) The army of men have found them.
(b) A figure jumps out and threatens to kill Birle.
(c) Corbel finds them and threatens to kill them.
(d) Orien dies.
13. What happened to Joaquim's wife?
(a) She drowned.
(b) She died from a summer fever.
(c) He never had a wife.
(d) She was murdered.
14. Why are there two hands nailed to a board?
(a) Because two men stole money.
(b) Because two men died defending Corbel.
(c) Because two slaves tried to escape.
(d) Because two men cheated Corbel.
15. What does Birle hope to accomplish at the marketplace in Chapter 13?
(a) Purchasing bread.
(b) Finding another master.
(c) Seeing Orien.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birle practice in the evenings with Joaquim?
2. Where has Corbel gone for the summer?
3. What changes in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21?
4. Why does Corbel get angry with Birle?
5. What does Joaquim teach Yul how to do?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)