|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once Orien is well, what happens to him at night?
(a) He has nightmares.
(b) His wounds hurt.
(c) He has insomnia.
(d) He is attacked by a dog.
2. What does Corbel suggest doing with Birle?
(a) Making her his second wife.
(b) Having her marry Joaquim.
(c) Selling her away.
(d) Giving her as a gift to his wife.
3. What does Birle discover has happened to Orien when she reaches his place?
(a) He has already been taken to the mines.
(b) He is sick with fever.
(c) His master took him into the army with him.
(d) He has already runaway on his own.
4. Who is the woman who sits with the Earl in his room?
(a) Orien's sister.
(b) Orien's grandmother.
(c) Orien's mother.
(d) Orien's aunt.
5. What can Nan tell about Birle without her saying anything?
(a) That Birle is in love.
(b) That Birle is pregnant.
(c) That Birle broke her own heart.
(d) That Birle is married.
6. When Birle tells Joaquim of the Kingdom, what does he think of it?
(a) He thinks of it as a magical kingdom.
(b) He thinks of it as a non-existant kingdom.
(c) He thinks of it as a war-zone kingdom.
(d) He thinks of it as a famine-filled kingdom.
7. What is another thing the Earl reveals to Birle in Chapter 23?
(a) He is the one who taught her grandparents to read and write.
(b) He is her real grandfather.
(c) He does not think she and Orien suit one another.
(d) He saw her as a baby.
8. How is Corbel's absence an advantage to Joaquim?
(a) He can leave the house.
(b) He can relax.
(c) He can work on his herb book.
(d) He can be kinder to Birle and Yul.
9. Who is revealed to have murdered Orien's father?
(a) Gladaegal's wife.
(b) The Earl.
(c) A huntsman seeking revenge.
10. If people in the Kingdom asked, what was Birle and Orien's cover story for Orien?
(a) He was a groom delivering himself and the horse to a Lord.
(b) He was Birle's husband.
(c) He was a ministral.
(d) He was the Earl of Sutherland.
11. What is Joaquim's goal?
(a) To transmute other metals into gold.
(b) To grow a herb garden.
(c) To write a book of herbs.
(d) To transmute anything into gold.
12. What happened to Joaquim's wife?
(a) She died from a summer fever.
(b) She drowned.
(c) She was murdered.
(d) He never had a wife.
13. In front of what does Birle sit at the beginning of Chapter 24?
(a) The river.
(b) The Inn.
(c) The castle.
(d) Her holding.
14. To whom is Birle taken to be cared for in Chapter 22?
(a) Orien's grandfather.
(b) The maidservants.
(d) Gladaegal's wife.
15. What does Birle warn Orien about when she is finally able to talk with him?
(a) The coming war.
(b) The cruelty of Corbel.
(c) The plague.
(d) The winter fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Orien about Hearing Day?
2. What does Birle practice in the evenings with Joaquim?
3. What is revealed about Corbel's wife, Celinde?
4. What is Birle's main goal for going to the marketplace?
5. What does Birle convince Joaquim to do at the beginning of Chapter 19?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)