|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Joaquim save Birle from being taken by Corbel?
(a) To protect her.
(b) He is in love with her.
(c) She is useful to him.
(d) He cares for her like a daughter.
2. What do the nailed hands represent?
(a) The king's power.
(b) Ker and Torson's slave trade.
(c) Corbel's power.
(d) The injustice of slavery.
3. Why does Corbel get angry with Birle?
(a) Because she is dirty.
(b) Because she distracts the soldiers.
(c) Because she cannot understand Yul.
(d) Because Joaquim's labratory is dirty.
4. Who is revealed to have murdered Orien's father?
(a) A huntsman seeking revenge.
(b) Gladaegal's wife.
(c) The Earl.
5. What does Damall suggest as a deal to Birle in Chapter 20?
(a) He keeps Yul while Birle and Orien go free.
(b) He keeps Birle while Yul and Orien go free.
(c) He keeps Orien and Yul and Birle goes free.
(d) He keeps Orien while Yul and Birle go free.
6. What can Nan tell about Birle without her saying anything?
(a) That Birle is married.
(b) That Birle broke her own heart.
(c) That Birle is pregnant.
(d) That Birle is in love.
7. What does Birle realize after seeing Orien disappear after he sees her?
(a) He loves her too much that it's painful.
(b) He does not want to meet with her.
(c) He does not remember her.
(d) He hates her.
8. What happened to Joaquim's wife?
(a) She drowned.
(b) She died from a summer fever.
(c) He never had a wife.
(d) She was murdered.
9. What blocks the path of Birle, Yul, and Orien as they are escaping the city?
(a) An army of men.
10. Why does Damall not want to let Birle, Yul, and Orien go free just yet in Chapter 20?
(a) He wants to ransom Orien.
(b) He wants to use Birle's cleaning skills.
(c) He is wary and is afraid of being betrayed.
(d) He wants Birle to heal one of his men.
11. Where are Birle and Orien headed in Chapter 21?
(a) To the rock.
(b) To the Kingdom.
(c) To the port city.
(d) Far away.
12. How does Damall suggest Birle leave?
(a) By carrying Orien on her back.
(b) On a boat down the river.
(c) In broad daylight.
(d) At night while Yul is sleeping.
13. In front of what does Birle sit at the beginning of Chapter 24?
(a) The Inn.
(b) The river.
(c) Her holding.
(d) The castle.
14. What surprises Orien about Hearing Day?
(a) That it is so long.
(b) That it is run by his grandfather.
(c) That it is so short.
(d) That it is not organized.
15. During what season are Birle and Orien currently traveling in Chapter 21?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birle name her daughter?
2. What happens at the end of Chapter 19?
3. What is revealed about Corbel's wife, Celinde?
4. What were Nan and Da planning to do with Birle before her wedding to Muir?
5. How does Orien move about during the escape from the city after Joaquim goes his own way?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)