|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is inside the bundle of dirty clothes that Yul leans against the wall?
(b) The Little Mistress.
(d) The boy.
2. Why does Damall not want to let Birle, Yul, and Orien go free just yet in Chapter 20?
(a) He wants to use Birle's cleaning skills.
(b) He wants Birle to heal one of his men.
(c) He is wary and is afraid of being betrayed.
(d) He wants to ransom Orien.
3. What does Birle suggest Orien do?
(a) Run away to the Philosopher's house.
(b) Run away to the Kingdom.
(c) Stay where he is and she will get him out.
(d) Send a letter to his grandfather.
4. What does Birle hope to accomplish at the marketplace in Chapter 13?
(b) Purchasing bread.
(c) Finding another master.
(d) Seeing Orien.
5. When Birle tells Joaquim of the Kingdom, what does he think of it?
(a) He thinks of it as a magical kingdom.
(b) He thinks of it as a war-zone kingdom.
(c) He thinks of it as a non-existant kingdom.
(d) He thinks of it as a famine-filled kingdom.
6. Who is the first person of Birle's family to spot her after her return home?
7. As Birle leaves to go find Orien, who does she run into?
(a) The Little Mistress.
8. Where has Corbel gone for the summer?
(a) On vacation.
(b) Into the service of a prince.
(c) To search for pirates.
(d) To the Kingdom.
9. To whom is Birle taken to be cared for in Chapter 22?
(a) The maidservants.
(b) Gladaegal's wife.
(d) Orien's grandfather.
10. Where are Birle and Orien headed in Chapter 21?
(a) To the Kingdom.
(b) To the rock.
(c) To the port city.
(d) Far away.
11. What does Joaquim tell Birle to hope for?
(a) Orien escaping the mines.
(b) Orien being re-sold elsewhere.
(c) Orien's quick death.
(d) Corbel purchasing Orien.
12. What changes in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21?
(a) Orien adopts Birle as his sister.
(b) They are now man and woman.
(c) Birle no longer loves Orien, but he is now the one who loves her.
(d) They are now best friends.
13. What does Birle tell Yul to do if he is mistreated?
(a) Stomp on Damall.
(b) Run away.
(c) Crush Damall's head.
(d) Refuse to eat.
14. What saves Birle from Corbel's fate?
(a) Her crying.
(b) Her cooking.
(c) Her fighting.
(d) Her education.
15. How does Orien move about during the escape from the city after Joaquim goes his own way?
(a) He is paralyzed.
(b) On crutches.
(c) Yul carries him.
(d) With a cane.
Short Answer Questions
1. What blocks the path of Birle, Yul, and Orien as they are escaping the city?
2. What is revealed about Corbel's wife, Celinde?
3. Why does Joaquim save Birle from being taken by Corbel?
4. What does Damall suggest as a deal to Birle in Chapter 20?
5. Who does Joaquim say has fled the city after Corbel's marriage?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)