|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can Nan tell about Birle without her saying anything?
(a) That Birle broke her own heart.
(b) That Birle is married.
(c) That Birle is in love.
(d) That Birle is pregnant.
2. When do Birle and Joaquim plan to leave the city?
(a) Within a few hours.
(b) A day later.
(c) In two days.
(d) That day.
3. What does Joaquim tell Birle to hope for?
(a) Orien's quick death.
(b) Orien being re-sold elsewhere.
(c) Corbel purchasing Orien.
(d) Orien escaping the mines.
4. Where are Birle and Orien headed in Chapter 21?
(a) To the rock.
(b) Far away.
(c) To the Kingdom.
(d) To the port city.
5. What keeps Birle on the move while working as a slave?
6. What saves Birle from Corbel's fate?
(a) Her fighting.
(b) Her crying.
(c) Her education.
(d) Her cooking.
7. What happened to Joaquim's wife?
(a) She drowned.
(b) She died from a summer fever.
(c) He never had a wife.
(d) She was murdered.
8. What does Birle hope to accomplish at the marketplace in Chapter 13?
(a) Purchasing bread.
(c) Finding another master.
(d) Seeing Orien.
9. What happens at the end of Chapter 19?
(a) A figure jumps out and threatens to kill Birle.
(b) Corbel finds them and threatens to kill them.
(c) The army of men have found them.
(d) Orien dies.
10. What does Joaquim give Birle?
(a) A chance to see Orien.
(d) His wife's old clothing.
11. It is soon known by the people of the city that Birle is what?
(a) Yul's guard.
(b) Corbel's slave.
(c) Orien's intended.
(d) The Philosopher's maid.
12. Why does Corbel get angry with Birle?
(a) Because she cannot understand Yul.
(b) Because she distracts the soldiers.
(c) Because she is dirty.
(d) Because Joaquim's labratory is dirty.
13. What is another thing the Earl reveals to Birle in Chapter 23?
(a) He is her real grandfather.
(b) He is the one who taught her grandparents to read and write.
(c) He saw her as a baby.
(d) He does not think she and Orien suit one another.
14. What do the nailed hands represent?
(a) Ker and Torson's slave trade.
(b) The king's power.
(c) The injustice of slavery.
(d) Corbel's power.
15. If people in the Kingdom asked, what was Birle and Orien's cover story for Orien?
(a) He was a ministral.
(b) He was the Earl of Sutherland.
(c) He was Birle's husband.
(d) He was a groom delivering himself and the horse to a Lord.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is inside the bundle of dirty clothes that Yul leans against the wall?
2. What is Birle's main goal for going to the marketplace?
3. What is revealed about Corbel's wife, Celinde?
4. Where has Corbel gone for the summer?
5. When Birle tells Joaquim of the Kingdom, what does he think of it?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)