|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps Birle on the move while working as a slave?
2. What were Nan and Da planning to do with Birle before her wedding to Muir?
(a) Take her away to another village until Muir gave up.
(b) Tie her to the bed and tell Muir she only had days to live.
(c) Tie her to the bed and tell Muir she had a spotted fever.
(d) Force her to leave the country.
3. What does Joaquim tell Birle will happen eventually in the city because of Corbel's marriage?
(a) A wedding.
(b) A civil battle.
(c) A war.
(d) A birth.
4. What changes in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21?
(a) They are now best friends.
(b) They are now man and woman.
(c) Orien adopts Birle as his sister.
(d) Birle no longer loves Orien, but he is now the one who loves her.
5. What happens at the end of Chapter 19?
(a) Orien dies.
(b) Corbel finds them and threatens to kill them.
(c) A figure jumps out and threatens to kill Birle.
(d) The army of men have found them.
6. What blocks the path of Birle, Yul, and Orien as they are escaping the city?
(d) An army of men.
7. What does Joaquim tell Birle to hope for?
(a) Orien escaping the mines.
(b) Corbel purchasing Orien.
(c) Orien's quick death.
(d) Orien being re-sold elsewhere.
8. Why is the Earl (Orien's grandfather) initially impatient with Birle?
(a) Because she does not speak to him.
(b) Because she does not understand what it means to be a Lady.
(c) Because she has a village accent.
(d) Because she is low-born.
9. What does Joaquim teach Yul how to do?
10. If people in the Kingdom asked, what was Birle and Orien's cover story for Orien?
(a) He was a groom delivering himself and the horse to a Lord.
(b) He was the Earl of Sutherland.
(c) He was Birle's husband.
(d) He was a ministral.
11. Who does Birle learn that the hands belong to?
(a) The boy.
(b) Ker and Torson.
(c) Orien and his master.
(d) Corbel's soldiers.
12. What does Birle warn Orien about when she is finally able to talk with him?
(a) The cruelty of Corbel.
(b) The winter fever.
(c) The plague.
(d) The coming war.
13. Why does Corbel get angry with Birle?
(a) Because she cannot understand Yul.
(b) Because Joaquim's labratory is dirty.
(c) Because she distracts the soldiers.
(d) Because she is dirty.
14. What does Birle realize about Nan's scolding?
(a) It is her way of getting things done.
(b) It is her way of getting her anger out.
(c) It is her way of showing care.
(d) It is her way of telling Birle she is incompetent.
15. Once Orien is well, what happens to him at night?
(a) He is attacked by a dog.
(b) He has insomnia.
(c) He has nightmares.
(d) His wounds hurt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birle suggest Orien do?
2. What is Birle's main goal for going to the marketplace?
3. In front of what does Birle sit at the beginning of Chapter 24?
4. What does Joaquim announce to Birle near the end of Chapter 18?
5. Who is the first person of Birle's family to spot her after her return home?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)