|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Corbel suggest doing with Birle?
(a) Having her marry Joaquim.
(b) Making her his second wife.
(c) Giving her as a gift to his wife.
(d) Selling her away.
2. If someone asked Birle who she was, what would she be most likely to answer in Chapter 22?
(a) The Philosopher's maid.
(b) Orien's Lady.
(c) An Innkeeper's Daughter.
(d) Yul's friend.
3. Why is the Earl (Orien's grandfather) initially impatient with Birle?
(a) Because she does not speak to him.
(b) Because she does not understand what it means to be a Lady.
(c) Because she is low-born.
(d) Because she has a village accent.
4. What is Joaquim's goal?
(a) To grow a herb garden.
(b) To write a book of herbs.
(c) To transmute other metals into gold.
(d) To transmute anything into gold.
5. What is another thing the Earl reveals to Birle in Chapter 23?
(a) He is her real grandfather.
(b) He saw her as a baby.
(c) He is the one who taught her grandparents to read and write.
(d) He does not think she and Orien suit one another.
6. During what season are Birle and Orien currently traveling in Chapter 21?
7. Once Orien is well, what happens to him at night?
(a) He has nightmares.
(b) His wounds hurt.
(c) He has insomnia.
(d) He is attacked by a dog.
8. What does Damall suggest as a deal to Birle in Chapter 20?
(a) He keeps Yul while Birle and Orien go free.
(b) He keeps Birle while Yul and Orien go free.
(c) He keeps Orien and Yul and Birle goes free.
(d) He keeps Orien while Yul and Birle go free.
9. What does Birle warn Orien about when she is finally able to talk with him?
(a) The cruelty of Corbel.
(b) The plague.
(c) The winter fever.
(d) The coming war.
10. What does Birle tell Yul to do if they get parted at the marketplace?
(a) To look for her.
(b) To stand still.
(c) To call out her name.
(d) To go back home.
11. What saves Birle from Corbel's fate?
(a) Her education.
(b) Her fighting.
(c) Her cooking.
(d) Her crying.
12. What does the Earl reveal to Birle in Chapter 23?
(a) That he does not think she and Orien suit one another.
(b) That he knew her grandparents.
(c) That he does not like her.
(d) That he knows who she really is.
13. How is Corbel's absence an advantage to Joaquim?
(a) He can work on his herb book.
(b) He can relax.
(c) He can be kinder to Birle and Yul.
(d) He can leave the house.
14. What does Birle name her daughter?
15. What does Birle convince Joaquim to do at the beginning of Chapter 19?
(a) Give her more money.
(b) Free all the slaves.
(c) Not leave.
(d) Take the slaves with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Yul afraid of when he and Birle go to the marketplace?
2. What do the notices around the city state?
3. Where has Corbel gone for the summer?
4. What does Joaquim tell Birle to hope for?
5. What changes in Orien and Birle's relationship in Chapter 21?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)