|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once Orien is well, what happens to him at night?
(a) His wounds hurt.
(b) He is attacked by a dog.
(c) He has nightmares.
(d) He has insomnia.
2. Who is the woman who sits with the Earl in his room?
(a) Orien's mother.
(b) Orien's grandmother.
(c) Orien's aunt.
(d) Orien's sister.
3. What were Nan and Da planning to do with Birle before her wedding to Muir?
(a) Tie her to the bed and tell Muir she had a spotted fever.
(b) Tie her to the bed and tell Muir she only had days to live.
(c) Force her to leave the country.
(d) Take her away to another village until Muir gave up.
4. What does Birle suggest Orien do?
(a) Run away to the Kingdom.
(b) Stay where he is and she will get him out.
(c) Run away to the Philosopher's house.
(d) Send a letter to his grandfather.
5. What does Birle tell Yul to do if he is mistreated?
(a) Stomp on Damall.
(b) Crush Damall's head.
(c) Run away.
(d) Refuse to eat.
6. Who is the first person of Birle's family to spot her after her return home?
7. What does Joaquim tell Birle to hope for?
(a) Orien being re-sold elsewhere.
(b) Corbel purchasing Orien.
(c) Orien's quick death.
(d) Orien escaping the mines.
8. What does Birle do to keep her mind distracted from Orien?
9. What does Damall do for Birle, Yul and Orien after meeting them?
(a) He has their chains and collars removed.
(b) He has them caged.
(c) He has them taken to the mines.
(d) He has them returned to Corbel.
10. What does Birle warn Orien about when she is finally able to talk with him?
(a) The plague.
(b) The coming war.
(c) The cruelty of Corbel.
(d) The winter fever.
11. What surprises Orien about Hearing Day?
(a) That it is so long.
(b) That it is so short.
(c) That it is not organized.
(d) That it is run by his grandfather.
12. Where does Birle think she and Orien will be the safest as Orien heals?
(a) Back at the rocks.
(b) Deep into the forest.
(c) By the shore.
(d) At the village they pass.
13. What does the Earl reveal to Birle in Chapter 23?
(a) That he does not think she and Orien suit one another.
(b) That he knows who she really is.
(c) That he does not like her.
(d) That he knew her grandparents.
14. Who is inside the bundle of dirty clothes that Yul leans against the wall?
(c) The boy.
(d) The Little Mistress.
15. What is another thing the Earl reveals to Birle in Chapter 23?
(a) He is the one who taught her grandparents to read and write.
(b) He does not think she and Orien suit one another.
(c) He is her real grandfather.
(d) He saw her as a baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birle name her daughter?
2. How is Corbel's absence an advantage to Joaquim?
3. What does Birle decide to reveal to Joaquim upon his questioning?
4. Where has Corbel gone for the summer?
5. What keeps Birle on the move while working as a slave?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)