|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Birle, "There might be people living up there, in the stars, think you"?
(d) The man.
2. What does Orien tell Birle without her even asking?
(a) That he never married but has one child.
(b) That he is married but has no children.
(c) That he has never married, nor does he have children.
(d) That he hates his father for dying.
3. What relation do Joaquim and Corbel have?
(a) They are friends.
(b) They are servant and master.
(c) They are brothers.
(d) They are father and son.
4. What types of people has Birle heard tales about since childhood, which might speculate as to who this mysterious figure might be?
(a) Runaway slaves and their masters.
(b) Runaway servants and murderers.
(c) Robbers and runaway servants.
(d) Robbers and murderers.
5. How do the people of the village bathe in the winter, according to Birle?
(a) By sitting in tubs.
(b) By sitting in metal tins.
(c) By standing in wine barrels.
(d) By standing in wooden crates.
6. What mistake does Birle make when the Lord pulls out his map?
(a) She almost lets him know that she can read.
(b) She steps on the map as he is laying it on the ground.
(c) She agrees to let him keep the boat.
(d) She accidentally burns a corner of the map while making a fire.
7. What article of clothing does Birle use in hopes of the rain soaking it?
(a) Orien's cloak.
(b) Her cloak.
(c) Orien's hat.
(d) Her hat.
8. What does Birle learn about the Lord's character in Chapter 3?
(a) He is a quick man who can invent a lie and story.
(b) He is a resourceful man who understands how to read the signs of nature.
(c) He is a slow man who knows nothing.
(d) He is a dull man who wants to become more learned of the world.
9. How does Birle know that the mysterious figure is not a robber?
(a) This person is holding a glinting knife known to be carried by robbers of the Kingdom.
(b) This person is alone and robbers move in packs.
(c) This person is moving with a pack and robbers are alone.
(d) This person is carrying a sack full of loot.
10. What does the dog do to the Lord?
(a) Sniffs him then walks away.
(b) Attacks him.
(c) Tries to play with him.
(d) Bites his throat.
11. What does Birle grow accustomed to doing as she and Orien talk?
(a) Staring into Orien's eyes then looking away and talking.
(b) Wringing the water out of her clothing.
(c) Curling up in a ball and drawing her cloak around her for warmth.
(d) Speaking without thought and forgetting he is a Lord.
12. Who is Birle's master?
13. Hearing what name causes everyone's attitude to change in the city that Birle and Orien are taken to?
14. What does Birle carry for the Lord as they begin their journey?
(a) A heavy sack.
(c) The fishing spear.
(d) A walking stick.
15. What does the Lord think is the truth about his father's death?
(a) He died from old age.
(b) He died from a fever.
(c) He was poisoned.
(d) He was murdered.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only person still wearing the shackles at the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. Who is the man in the crimson cloak?
3. How does Birle feel at the thought of marrying Muir?
4. The fact that the man who has stolen the boat has no beard lets Birle realize that he holds what position in society?
5. What is Birle forced to do to protect the Lord?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)