Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Birle's position in society?
(a) Farmer's daughter.
(b) Tavern wench.
(c) Innkeeper's daughter.
(d) Innkeeper's wife.
2. What does the Lord think is the truth about his father's death?
(a) He died from old age.
(b) He was poisoned.
(c) He was murdered.
(d) He died from a fever.
3. What about the strange man captures Birle once he awakens in the morning?
(a) His straight nose.
(b) His tousled dark hair.
(c) The wink he sends her.
(d) His bellflower blue eyes.
4. What is Birle's goal in regards to the thief and the boat?
(a) She wants to prevent the theft of the boat and does not care for the thief himself.
(b) She does not care and prefers to go back home.
(c) She wants to capture the thief and take him back to the village.
(d) She wants to prevent the theft of the boat and capture the thief.
5. Who tries to buy Birle first?
(a) The mines.
(b) Two craftsmen.
(c) The older man.
(d) The middling man.
6. When Birle finally awakens on the ship after being rescued from the rock, what does she discover?
(a) She is in the captain's cabin.
(b) Her feet are chained.
(c) She is still on the rock and the rescue was a dream.
(d) Her entire body is chained.
7. What relation do Joaquim and Corbel have?
(a) They are brothers.
(b) They are friends.
(c) They are father and son.
(d) They are servant and master.
8. Who is the man in the crimson cloak?
9. What mythological creature does the Earl use as an example in the discussion that he and Birle have about doubt?
10. Birle knows that the movement she sees at the beginning of the novel is not a man of the village because of what?
(a) Men of the village always walk in pairs.
(b) Men of the village are shorter.
(c) Men of the village carry a light.
(d) Men of the village make no noise.
11. What happens to Birle when she realizes she has been spotted by the thief?
(a) She lets out a cry to sound the alarm of the theft.
(b) She pulls the boat towards her and away from the thief.
(c) She tries to get the boat and falls into the water.
(d) She tackles the thief.
12. What does Birle suggest so that she does not have to part from the Lord?
(a) She says she will travel with him as a servant.
(b) She says she will travel with him as his sister.
(c) She says she will travel with him as his wife.
(d) She says she will travel with him as his brother.
13. Thinking about what makes Birle NOT want to return to the Inn?
(a) Her parents.
(c) Her wedding.
(d) Morning chores.
14. What does Birle say in attempts to convince the Lord to take him with her on his journey?
(a) She says she is an excellent tracker.
(b) She says she knows the forest and what is in the forest is for eating.
(c) She says she knows how to hunt better than any man and can feed him well.
(d) She says that she is desperate to escape from her home.
15. How does Birle feel when she realizes she will never see the Lord again?
(a) Like a stone has been lifted off of her.
(b) Like a stone is crushing down on her.
(c) Like she is being freed of the burden of capturing him and facing reprimand.
(d) Like she will never experience such an adventure again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is discovered about Birle's engagement to Muir?
2. When does Birle find out that she will be freed?
3. What is Birle forced to do to protect the Lord?
4. Why does Orien apologize to Birle?
5. What does Birle NOT think about as she and the Lord travel down the river?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)