|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Birle say in attempts to convince the Lord to take him with her on his journey?
(a) She says she knows the forest and what is in the forest is for eating.
(b) She says she is an excellent tracker.
(c) She says she knows how to hunt better than any man and can feed him well.
(d) She says that she is desperate to escape from her home.
2. How does Birle distract the Lord when he says he will take her back to the village?
(a) She offers to help him steal the boat.
(b) She offers to spear a fish.
(c) She offers him a meal at the Inn.
(d) She offers him the map from her grandparents.
3. How does the Lord say that men of his stature bathe in the winter?
(a) By sitting in tubs.
(b) By sitting in metal tins.
(c) By standing in wooden crates.
(d) By standing in wine barrels.
4. Who else does the older man buy?
(d) The boy.
5. What does Birle finally reveal to the Lord?
(a) That her mother was a princess.
(b) That she knows how to fight.
(c) That she can read and write.
(d) That she hates the Earl.
6. What causes the Lord to feel embarrassed in Chapter 3?
(a) When he asks Birle where she is going and her response is that she is going to relieve herself.
(b) When he does not know how to cook the fish but Birle does .
(c) When he attempts to catch some fish but is unable while Birle catches many.
(d) When he is unable to light a fire with his tinderbox yet Birle manages it easily.
7. How old does Birle discover that the Lord is?
8. Who tells Birle, "There might be people living up there, in the stars, think you"?
(b) The man.
9. What does Birle offer the Lord as a gift?
(a) Her grandparent's map.
(b) Her mother's necklace.
(c) Her father's spear.
(d) The Inn's boat.
10. The man's speech makes Birle think that the thief is possibly a what?
(a) A city man.
(b) A nobleman's heir.
(c) A city street rat.
(d) A farmer.
11. What does the dog do to the Lord?
(a) Tries to play with him.
(b) Attacks him.
(c) Bites his throat.
(d) Sniffs him then walks away.
12. What happens to Birle when she realizes she has been spotted by the thief?
(a) She tackles the thief.
(b) She tries to get the boat and falls into the water.
(c) She lets out a cry to sound the alarm of the theft.
(d) She pulls the boat towards her and away from the thief.
13. What does Birle carry for the Lord as they begin their journey?
(a) A heavy sack.
(c) A walking stick.
(d) The fishing spear.
14. What story does Birle tell the Lord?
(a) The story of her growing up with brothers.
(b) The story of her grandparent's treasure.
(c) The story about Da's childhood.
(d) The story about her grandmother and mother.
15. What happened to the one woman that Orien loved?
(a) His father, the Earl, married her instead.
(b) She died before they could wed.
(c) His father stole her away and left the country.
(d) His brother married her instead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of human nature is exemplified by Birle in this first chapter?
2. What do the people of the village and the Inn fear?
3. What do Birle and the Lord do to keep themselves distracted while stranded on the rock?
4. How does Birle know that the mysterious figure is not a robber?
5. What allows Birle to feel that the thief is no threat to her?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)