|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Lord confess to Birle once they are safe from the dog and men?
(a) That he does not know how to wield a sword or knife as a weapon.
(b) That he has never killed a man.
(c) That he fainted temporarily when the dog jumped on him.
(d) That he is really terrified of dogs.
2. Who else does the older man buy?
(d) The boy.
3. What does Orien do to entertain Birle and pass the time while they are stranded on the rock?
(c) Draw pictures in the sand.
(d) Tell a story.
4. What allows Birle to feel that the thief is no threat to her?
(a) The strange man's weak stature.
(b) The fact that the man is asleep while she is awake.
(c) Her father's advice.
(d) Her blood.
5. What does Orien do to mark their presence where he and Birle are stranded?
(a) Ties pieces of their cloaks to a tree.
(b) Scratches their names into the bark of a tree.
(c) Scratches their names into pieces of wood left from the boat.
(d) Scratches their names into a rock.
6. What is the law for second marriages for commoners?
(a) It is not allowed.
(b) It is allowed once the first wife has been dead five years.
(c) It is not allowed but Nan was an exception.
(d) It is allowed with some restrictions.
7. What alerts the mysterious figure to Birle's presence?
(a) She steps on wooden planks which make noise.
(b) She trips and lets out a yelp.
(c) She falls into the river making a splash.
(d) She calls out to the figure.
8. How does Orien say he feels towards his father for his actions?
(a) Understanding and no hatred.
(b) Pure blame and hatred.
(c) Pure blame yet no hatred.
(d) Understanding yet hatred.
9. Who does Orien wave his arms towards from his location on the rock?
(a) No one. He was stretching but Birle thought he was waving.
(d) A boat he sees in the distance.
10. Birle knows that the movement she sees at the beginning of the novel is not a man of the village because of what?
(a) Men of the village make no noise.
(b) Men of the village carry a light.
(c) Men of the village are shorter.
(d) Men of the village always walk in pairs.
11. When Birle finally awakens on the ship after being rescued from the rock, what does she discover?
(a) Her feet are chained.
(b) Her entire body is chained.
(c) She is in the captain's cabin.
(d) She is still on the rock and the rescue was a dream.
12. What happened to Birle's mother?
(a) She died from a fever.
(b) She died from the plague.
(c) She left the family.
(d) She died in childbirth.
13. What does Birle grow accustomed to doing as she and Orien talk?
(a) Curling up in a ball and drawing her cloak around her for warmth.
(b) Wringing the water out of her clothing.
(c) Staring into Orien's eyes then looking away and talking.
(d) Speaking without thought and forgetting he is a Lord.
14. What does Birle suggest so that she does not have to part from the Lord?
(a) She says she will travel with him as his sister.
(b) She says she will travel with him as his wife.
(c) She says she will travel with him as a servant.
(d) She says she will travel with him as his brother.
15. What story does Birle tell the Lord?
(a) The story of her growing up with brothers.
(b) The story of her grandparent's treasure.
(c) The story about Da's childhood.
(d) The story about her grandmother and mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Birle feel at the thought of marrying Muir?
2. How do the people of the village bathe in the winter, according to Birle?
3. How does the Lord say that men of his stature bathe in the winter?
4. How does Birle distract the Lord when he says he will take her back to the village?
5. What do the people of the village and the Inn fear?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)