|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What story does Birle tell the Lord?
(a) The story of her grandparent's treasure.
(b) The story of her growing up with brothers.
(c) The story about her grandmother and mother.
(d) The story about Da's childhood.
2. What does Birle confess to having done back at the Inn?
(a) Being with a man before marriage.
(b) Shirking her chores.
(c) Burying her grandparent's treasure.
(d) Running away as a child.
3. What is the law for second marriages for Lords?
(a) It is not allowed.
(b) It is allowed once the first wife has been dead five years.
(c) It is allowed with some restrictions.
(d) It is allowed and even a third and fourth time.
4. What does Orien do to entertain Birle and pass the time while they are stranded on the rock?
(a) Tell a story.
(d) Draw pictures in the sand.
5. What does Birle suggest the Lord do so as to increase her time spent with him once they reach the island?
(a) Catch fish for her and cook it.
(b) Eat and bathe.
(d) Take a nap.
6. The fact that the man who has stolen the boat has no beard lets Birle realize that he holds what position in society?
(a) A married man.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A huntsman.
(d) A Lord.
7. Who else do Birle and the Lord discover is out on the waters with them?
(a) Two sailors.
(b) Two pirates.
(c) Two thugs.
(d) Two fishermen.
8. Who chases Birle and the Lord?
(a) A large hound dog.
(b) A thief.
(c) A solider.
(d) A murderer.
9. When the Lord begins talking about unjust Lords, what does Birle begin to suspect?
(a) That the Lord might not really be a Lord but a Lord's servant.
(b) That the Lord might be the Earl's son.
(c) That the Lord might be the Earl himself.
(d) That the Lord might have committed treason against another.
10. What aspect of human nature is exemplified by Birle in this first chapter?
(b) Brute strength.
11. What article of clothing does Birle use in hopes of the rain soaking it?
(a) Her hat.
(b) Her cloak.
(c) Orien's hat.
(d) Orien's cloak.
12. What does Birle grow accustomed to doing as she and Orien talk?
(a) Curling up in a ball and drawing her cloak around her for warmth.
(b) Staring into Orien's eyes then looking away and talking.
(c) Wringing the water out of her clothing.
(d) Speaking without thought and forgetting he is a Lord.
13. What mistake does Birle make when the Lord pulls out his map?
(a) She agrees to let him keep the boat.
(b) She steps on the map as he is laying it on the ground.
(c) She accidentally burns a corner of the map while making a fire.
(d) She almost lets him know that she can read.
14. What item has Orien lost, which was proof of his true identity?
(a) The family crest of arms.
(b) The map with his father's name.
(c) The royal seal.
(d) The signet ring.
15. Who tells Birle, "There might be people living up there, in the stars, think you"?
(d) The man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is put on Birle and Yul to identify them as belonging to Corbel?
2. Soon after they begin walking, what do Birle and the Lord find?
3. What happens to Birle when she realizes she has been spotted by the thief?
4. What does Birle NOT think about as she and the Lord travel down the river?
5. Why does the Lord agree to take Birle with him on his journey?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)