|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who else do Birle and the Lord discover is out on the waters with them?
(a) Two pirates.
(b) Two thugs.
(c) Two sailors.
(d) Two fishermen.
2. How does Orien say he feels towards his father for his actions?
(a) Understanding and no hatred.
(b) Understanding yet hatred.
(c) Pure blame and hatred.
(d) Pure blame yet no hatred.
3. What is put on Birle and Yul to identify them as belonging to Corbel?
4. What does the dog do to the Lord?
(a) Bites his throat.
(b) Tries to play with him.
(c) Sniffs him then walks away.
(d) Attacks him.
5. Who tries to buy Birle first?
(a) The middling man.
(b) Two craftsmen.
(c) The mines.
(d) The older man.
6. What does Birle suggest the Lord do so as to increase her time spent with him once they reach the island?
(b) Take a nap.
(c) Catch fish for her and cook it.
(d) Eat and bathe.
7. What is the law for second marriages for commoners?
(a) It is allowed once the first wife has been dead five years.
(b) It is allowed with some restrictions.
(c) It is not allowed but Nan was an exception.
(d) It is not allowed.
8. What does the Lord tell Birle about the life of a wife of a huntsman?
(a) They become drunks yet life a life of luxury.
(b) They live a life of luxury yet cheat on their husbands.
(c) They become drunks and cheat on their husbands.
(d) They become fine ladies and are always happy.
9. What is Birle's position in society?
(a) Innkeeper's wife.
(b) Farmer's daughter.
(c) Tavern wench.
(d) Innkeeper's daughter.
10. Who else does the older man buy?
(c) The boy.
11. What question from Birle turns the Lord reticent for two days?
(a) "Why did you run away, my Lord?"
(b) "Can a Lord marry again, under the law?"
(c) "Do you never think that it is the man should bring a dowry to the woman?"
(d) "Do you go south, then, to know if there are dragons?"
12. What happened to the one woman that Orien loved?
(a) His father, the Earl, married her instead.
(b) She died before they could wed.
(c) His father stole her away and left the country.
(d) His brother married her instead.
13. How does Birle feel when she realizes she will never see the Lord again?
(a) Like she is being freed of the burden of capturing him and facing reprimand.
(b) Like she will never experience such an adventure again.
(c) Like a stone has been lifted off of her.
(d) Like a stone is crushing down on her.
14. When Birle finally awakens on the ship after being rescued from the rock, what does she discover?
(a) She is in the captain's cabin.
(b) Her entire body is chained.
(c) She is still on the rock and the rescue was a dream.
(d) Her feet are chained.
15. What does Yul do when Ker tries to fondle Birle?
(a) Rams into him.
(b) Strangles him.
(d) Kicks him.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Birle begins to fear for their lives, what does the Lord promise to do?
2. What does Birle confess to having done back at the Inn?
3. Where do Birle and the Lord decide to spend the rest of the night in Chapter 5?
4. Hearing what name causes everyone's attitude to change in the city that Birle and Orien are taken to?
5. How does the Lord say that men of his stature bathe in the winter?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)