|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the law for second marriages for Lords?
(a) It is allowed once the first wife has been dead five years.
(b) It is allowed with some restrictions.
(c) It is allowed and even a third and fourth time.
(d) It is not allowed.
2. What article of clothing does Birle use in hopes of the rain soaking it?
(a) Orien's cloak.
(b) Her hat.
(c) Her cloak.
(d) Orien's hat.
3. What mythological creature does the Earl use as an example in the discussion that he and Birle have about doubt?
4. What does Orien tell Birle without her even asking?
(a) That he has never married, nor does he have children.
(b) That he hates his father for dying.
(c) That he is married but has no children.
(d) That he never married but has one child.
5. How does Birle know that the mysterious figure is not a robber?
(a) This person is moving with a pack and robbers are alone.
(b) This person is holding a glinting knife known to be carried by robbers of the Kingdom.
(c) This person is carrying a sack full of loot.
(d) This person is alone and robbers move in packs.
6. What is discovered about what is going to happen to Birle and Orien at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) They are going to stay on the ship as servants.
(b) They are going to be sold as servants.
(c) They are going to be ransomed.
(d) They are going to be sold into slavery.
7. What is put on Birle and Yul to identify them as belonging to Corbel?
8. How does Orien say he feels towards his father for his actions?
(a) Understanding and no hatred.
(b) Understanding yet hatred.
(c) Pure blame yet no hatred.
(d) Pure blame and hatred.
9. What is Birle forced to do to protect the Lord?
(a) Nothing, she keeps running.
(b) Slit the dog's throat.
(c) Throw her knife at the man chasing them.
(d) Cut off the Lord's hand that is attached to the dog.
10. How do the brothers take the news of Orien being an Earl and the idea of the Kingdom?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They mock him and the Kingdom.
(c) They believe him and agree to set him free.
(d) They believe him and realize they can hold him for a large ransom.
11. How does the Lord say that men of his stature bathe in the winter?
(a) By sitting in tubs.
(b) By standing in wine barrels.
(c) By standing in wooden crates.
(d) By sitting in metal tins.
12. Who is the only person still wearing the shackles at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(d) The boy.
13. What is Birle's position in society?
(a) Innkeeper's daughter.
(b) Innkeeper's wife.
(c) Farmer's daughter.
(d) Tavern wench.
14. Where do Birle and the Lord run to after they have been chased by a dog?
(a) Towards the village.
(b) Deeper into the forest.
(c) Back to the boat.
(d) They jump in the water.
15. How does Birle distract the Lord when he says he will take her back to the village?
(a) She offers to spear a fish.
(b) She offers to help him steal the boat.
(c) She offers him a meal at the Inn.
(d) She offers him the map from her grandparents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Lord call Birle every so often?
2. What is the first thing our main character is said to have seen in the very beginning of the novel?
3. What causes the Lord to feel embarrassed in Chapter 3?
4. What item has Orien lost, which was proof of his true identity?
5. Who does Orien wave his arms towards from his location on the rock?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)