|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Birle knows that the movement she sees at the beginning of the novel is not a man of the village because of what?
(a) Men of the village are shorter.
(b) Men of the village carry a light.
(c) Men of the village make no noise.
(d) Men of the village always walk in pairs.
2. Who chases Birle and the Lord?
(a) A large hound dog.
(b) A solider.
(c) A thief.
(d) A murderer.
3. What allows Birle to feel that the thief is no threat to her?
(a) Her blood.
(b) The fact that the man is asleep while she is awake.
(c) Her father's advice.
(d) The strange man's weak stature.
4. Thinking about what makes Birle NOT want to return to the Inn?
(b) Her parents.
(c) Her wedding.
(d) Morning chores.
5. What does Birle say in attempts to convince the Lord to take him with her on his journey?
(a) She says that she is desperate to escape from her home.
(b) She says she knows how to hunt better than any man and can feed him well.
(c) She says she knows the forest and what is in the forest is for eating.
(d) She says she is an excellent tracker.
6. What is the first "treasure" that Birle's grandparents showed her?
(a) A painting of Birle's mother.
(b) A sack full of gold.
(c) A map of the kingdom.
(d) An antique piece of jewelry from the royal family.
7. What does the Lord think is the truth about his father's death?
(a) He was murdered.
(b) He was poisoned.
(c) He died from a fever.
(d) He died from old age.
8. What does Birle NOT think about as she and the Lord travel down the river?
(a) Her Da, brothers, and Nan.
(b) Her grandparents.
(c) The end of the journey and the parting.
(d) The life of an Innkeeper's daughter.
9. What does Birle end up doing as she and the Lord are hiding under their cloaks on the boat?
(a) Recite poetry.
(b) Fall asleep.
(c) Sing softly.
(d) Hum to herself.
10. The fact that the man who has stolen the boat has no beard lets Birle realize that he holds what position in society?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A Lord.
(c) A huntsman.
(d) A married man.
11. What is the true treasure that Birle's grandparents give her?
(a) A map leading to the Lord's hidden treasure.
(b) Reading and writing.
(c) A heavy dowry.
(d) A large inheritance.
12. What does the Lord finally reveal to Birle as they are talking during the period of being stranded?
(a) That he is Orien, the Earl's brother.
(b) That he is Orien, the next in line to be Earl.
(c) That he is Orien, the new Earl.
(d) That he is Orien, the second in line to be Earl.
13. The man who rescues Orien and Birle trades what for their rescue?
(a) Birle's knife.
(b) Orien's dagger.
(c) Their cloaks.
(d) Their weapons.
14. What happened to Birle's mother?
(a) She died from a fever.
(b) She died from the plague.
(c) She left the family.
(d) She died in childbirth.
15. What happens to Birle when she realizes she has been spotted by the thief?
(a) She tackles the thief.
(b) She pulls the boat towards her and away from the thief.
(c) She lets out a cry to sound the alarm of the theft.
(d) She tries to get the boat and falls into the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Orien apologize to Birle?
2. Who else do Birle and the Lord discover is out on the waters with them?
3. How do the brothers take the news of Orien being an Earl and the idea of the Kingdom?
4. Who is Birle's master?
5. What does the Lord tell Birle about the life of a wife of a huntsman?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)