|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Lord think is the truth about his father's death?
(a) He died from a fever.
(b) He was poisoned.
(c) He was murdered.
(d) He died from old age.
2. What does Birle carry for the Lord as they begin their journey?
(a) The fishing spear.
(b) A heavy sack.
(c) A walking stick.
3. What mythological creature does the Earl use as an example in the discussion that he and Birle have about doubt?
4. What does Birle finally reveal to the Lord?
(a) That she knows how to fight.
(b) That she can read and write.
(c) That her mother was a princess.
(d) That she hates the Earl.
5. What does the Lord finally reveal to Birle as they are talking during the period of being stranded?
(a) That he is Orien, the second in line to be Earl.
(b) That he is Orien, the new Earl.
(c) That he is Orien, the next in line to be Earl.
(d) That he is Orien, the Earl's brother.
6. To whom is Orien sold?
(a) The older man.
(b) The mines.
(c) Two craftsmen.
(d) The middling man.
7. What types of people has Birle heard tales about since childhood, which might speculate as to who this mysterious figure might be?
(a) Runaway slaves and their masters.
(b) Robbers and murderers.
(c) Runaway servants and murderers.
(d) Robbers and runaway servants.
8. What do Birle and the Lord do to keep themselves distracted while stranded on the rock?
(a) Talk about life in general.
(b) Sit closer together to stay warm.
(c) Talk about their families.
(d) Discuss the ways to rule a kingdom.
9. What about the strange man captures Birle once he awakens in the morning?
(a) The wink he sends her.
(b) His tousled dark hair.
(c) His bellflower blue eyes.
(d) His straight nose.
10. On the first evening, what does Birle attempt to request of the Lord?
(a) Permission to step aside and bathe.
(b) Permission to speak freely.
(c) Permission to leave him and go back home.
(d) Permission to catch a rabbit for a meal.
11. What happens to Birle when she realizes she has been spotted by the thief?
(a) She tackles the thief.
(b) She tries to get the boat and falls into the water.
(c) She lets out a cry to sound the alarm of the theft.
(d) She pulls the boat towards her and away from the thief.
12. What is the first "treasure" that Birle's grandparents showed her?
(a) A sack full of gold.
(b) A painting of Birle's mother.
(c) An antique piece of jewelry from the royal family.
(d) A map of the kingdom.
13. How does Birle feel at the thought of marrying Muir?
14. Why does the Lord agree to take Birle with him on his journey?
(a) He has fallen in love with her and secretly wishes to marry her.
(b) He realizes he can use her to pretend to be his wife in certain situations.
(c) He needs someone to get food and cook for him as he travels.
(d) He likes to rescue damsels in distress.
15. Who chases Birle and the Lord?
(a) A murderer.
(b) A thief.
(c) A large hound dog.
(d) A solider.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is discovered about Birle's engagement to Muir?
2. What does Birle promise the Lord?
3. What alerts the mysterious figure to Birle's presence?
4. Who else does the older man buy?
5. Birle knows that the movement she sees at the beginning of the novel is not a man of the village because of what?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)