|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hearing what name causes everyone's attitude to change in the city that Birle and Orien are taken to?
2. What is discovered about what is going to happen to Birle and Orien at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) They are going to be ransomed.
(b) They are going to be sold into slavery.
(c) They are going to stay on the ship as servants.
(d) They are going to be sold as servants.
3. What relation do Joaquim and Corbel have?
(a) They are servant and master.
(b) They are friends.
(c) They are father and son.
(d) They are brothers.
4. What is discovered about Birle's engagement to Muir?
(a) Birle is the one who accepted the proposal on her own.
(b) Nan and Da forced her into it.
(c) Granda and Gran arranged it.
(d) Birle is vehemently against it.
5. What allows Birle to feel that the thief is no threat to her?
(a) The fact that the man is asleep while she is awake.
(b) Her father's advice.
(c) Her blood.
(d) The strange man's weak stature.
6. What mistake does Birle make when the Lord pulls out his map?
(a) She almost lets him know that she can read.
(b) She agrees to let him keep the boat.
(c) She accidentally burns a corner of the map while making a fire.
(d) She steps on the map as he is laying it on the ground.
7. What does the Lord call Birle every so often?
(a) Little One.
(b) Falcon's Child.
(d) Innkeeper's Daughter.
8. What happens when Birle gives her leftover bread to the giant man?
(a) The giant man is given a whipping.
(b) The giant man is thrown overboard.
(c) The little boy tells Ker.
(d) Birle is severely reprimanded.
9. What is Birle's goal in regards to the thief and the boat?
(a) She wants to capture the thief and take him back to the village.
(b) She wants to prevent the theft of the boat and does not care for the thief himself.
(c) She wants to prevent the theft of the boat and capture the thief.
(d) She does not care and prefers to go back home.
10. The fact that the man who has stolen the boat has no beard lets Birle realize that he holds what position in society?
(a) A married man.
(b) A huntsman.
(c) A Lord.
(d) A farmer.
11. What does the dog do to the Lord?
(a) Tries to play with him.
(b) Sniffs him then walks away.
(c) Attacks him.
(d) Bites his throat.
12. What does Birle carry for the Lord as they begin their journey?
(a) The fishing spear.
(b) A walking stick.
(d) A heavy sack.
13. What does Birle learn about the Lord's character in Chapter 3?
(a) He is a quick man who can invent a lie and story.
(b) He is a dull man who wants to become more learned of the world.
(c) He is a resourceful man who understands how to read the signs of nature.
(d) He is a slow man who knows nothing.
14. What mythological creature does the Earl use as an example in the discussion that he and Birle have about doubt?
15. What causes the Lord to feel embarrassed in Chapter 3?
(a) When he does not know how to cook the fish but Birle does .
(b) When he is unable to light a fire with his tinderbox yet Birle manages it easily.
(c) When he attempts to catch some fish but is unable while Birle catches many.
(d) When he asks Birle where she is going and her response is that she is going to relieve herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Lord finally reveal to Birle as they are talking during the period of being stranded?
2. What is the true treasure that Birle's grandparents give her?
3. What about the strange man captures Birle once he awakens in the morning?
4. What item has Orien lost, which was proof of his true identity?
5. How do the people of the village bathe in the winter, according to Birle?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)