|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the people of the village and the Inn fear?
(a) The man.
2. Who else do Birle and the Lord discover is out on the waters with them?
(a) Two fishermen.
(b) Two sailors.
(c) Two pirates.
(d) Two thugs.
3. Soon after they begin walking, what do Birle and the Lord find?
(a) A band of gypsies.
(b) The king's army.
(c) A group of men cooking food.
(d) Birle's Da and brothers.
4. What aspect of human nature is exemplified by Birle in this first chapter?
(c) Brute strength.
5. What happens to Birle when the boat is thrown against the waves?
(a) She grabs onto a rock and holds on to keep from drowning.
(b) She sees the Lord is drowning and saves him.
(c) She drowns.
(d) She almost drowns but the Lord saves her.
6. What causes the Lord to feel embarrassed in Chapter 3?
(a) When he attempts to catch some fish but is unable while Birle catches many.
(b) When he is unable to light a fire with his tinderbox yet Birle manages it easily.
(c) When he does not know how to cook the fish but Birle does .
(d) When he asks Birle where she is going and her response is that she is going to relieve herself.
7. What article of clothing does Birle use in hopes of the rain soaking it?
(a) Her hat.
(b) Her cloak.
(c) Orien's hat.
(d) Orien's cloak.
8. The fact that the man who has stolen the boat has no beard lets Birle realize that he holds what position in society?
(a) A Lord.
(b) A huntsman.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A married man.
9. What types of people has Birle heard tales about since childhood, which might speculate as to who this mysterious figure might be?
(a) Robbers and murderers.
(b) Runaway slaves and their masters.
(c) Robbers and runaway servants.
(d) Runaway servants and murderers.
10. What happened to the one woman that Orien loved?
(a) She died before they could wed.
(b) His father stole her away and left the country.
(c) His brother married her instead.
(d) His father, the Earl, married her instead.
11. What mythological creature does the Earl use as an example in the discussion that he and Birle have about doubt?
12. What is Birle's position in society?
(a) Tavern wench.
(b) Innkeeper's daughter.
(c) Farmer's daughter.
(d) Innkeeper's wife.
13. What does Yul do when Ker tries to fondle Birle?
(a) Rams into him.
(b) Strangles him.
(d) Kicks him.
14. Hearing what name causes everyone's attitude to change in the city that Birle and Orien are taken to?
15. Who does Orien wave his arms towards from his location on the rock?
(a) A boat he sees in the distance.
(b) No one. He was stretching but Birle thought he was waving.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Lord tell Birle about the life of a wife of a huntsman?
2. To whom is Orien sold?
3. What does Birle suggest the Lord do so as to increase her time spent with him once they reach the island?
4. What does Birle say in attempts to convince the Lord to take him with her on his journey?
5. What mistake does Birle make when the Lord pulls out his map?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)