|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom is Orien sold?
(a) Two craftsmen.
(b) The older man.
(c) The middling man.
(d) The mines.
2. What does Birle promise the Lord?
(a) To hide if danger arises.
(b) To obey all his commands.
(c) To leave when he tells her to.
(d) To never fall in love with him.
3. When Birle awakens from sleeping on the boat in Chapter 6, what is she met with?
(a) The disappearance of the Lord.
(c) Being kidnapped.
4. What do Birle and the Lord do to keep themselves distracted while stranded on the rock?
(a) Discuss the ways to rule a kingdom.
(b) Talk about their families.
(c) Sit closer together to stay warm.
(d) Talk about life in general.
5. What mythological creature does the Earl use as an example in the discussion that he and Birle have about doubt?
6. About whom do Birle and Orien tell stories, all with different plots?
(a) The King.
(c) King Midas.
(d) The Earl.
7. What happened to Birle's mother?
(a) She died from the plague.
(b) She left the family.
(c) She died in childbirth.
(d) She died from a fever.
8. The man's speech makes Birle think that the thief is possibly a what?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A city street rat.
(c) A city man.
(d) A nobleman's heir.
9. How do the people of the village bathe in the winter, according to Birle?
(a) By standing in wooden crates.
(b) By sitting in metal tins.
(c) By sitting in tubs.
(d) By standing in wine barrels.
10. What does Orien do to mark their presence where he and Birle are stranded?
(a) Scratches their names into pieces of wood left from the boat.
(b) Scratches their names into a rock.
(c) Scratches their names into the bark of a tree.
(d) Ties pieces of their cloaks to a tree.
11. Where on the ship is Orien moved to near the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The helm.
(c) The dungeon.
(d) The oars.
12. The man who rescues Orien and Birle trades what for their rescue?
(a) Their cloaks.
(b) Orien's dagger.
(c) Their weapons.
(d) Birle's knife.
13. What aspect of human nature is exemplified by Birle in this first chapter?
(a) Brute strength.
14. What does Orien tell Birle without her even asking?
(a) That he hates his father for dying.
(b) That he never married but has one child.
(c) That he is married but has no children.
(d) That he has never married, nor does he have children.
15. What does Birle suggest so that she does not have to part from the Lord?
(a) She says she will travel with him as his wife.
(b) She says she will travel with him as his sister.
(c) She says she will travel with him as a servant.
(d) She says she will travel with him as his brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Birle when she realizes she has been spotted by the thief?
2. How does Birle distract the Lord when he says he will take her back to the village?
3. How does Birle know that the mysterious figure is not a robber?
4. Where do Birle and the Lord decide to spend the rest of the night in Chapter 5?
5. What article of clothing does Birle use in hopes of the rain soaking it?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)