|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thinking about what makes Birle NOT want to return to the Inn?
(a) Her parents.
(b) Her wedding.
(d) Morning chores.
2. When Birle awakens from sleeping on the boat in Chapter 6, what is she met with?
(b) The disappearance of the Lord.
(d) Being kidnapped.
3. What does Birle finally reveal to the Lord?
(a) That she hates the Earl.
(b) That she knows how to fight.
(c) That her mother was a princess.
(d) That she can read and write.
4. How do the people of the village bathe in the winter, according to Birle?
(a) By sitting in metal tins.
(b) By standing in wine barrels.
(c) By sitting in tubs.
(d) By standing in wooden crates.
5. What do the people of the village and the Inn fear?
(c) The man.
6. What does Birle suggest the Lord do so as to increase her time spent with him once they reach the island?
(a) Catch fish for her and cook it.
(b) Take a nap.
(d) Eat and bathe.
7. What is Birle's position in society?
(a) Innkeeper's daughter.
(b) Tavern wench.
(c) Farmer's daughter.
(d) Innkeeper's wife.
8. Birle knows that the movement she sees at the beginning of the novel is not a man of the village because of what?
(a) Men of the village make no noise.
(b) Men of the village always walk in pairs.
(c) Men of the village carry a light.
(d) Men of the village are shorter.
9. What alerts the mysterious figure to Birle's presence?
(a) She falls into the river making a splash.
(b) She trips and lets out a yelp.
(c) She calls out to the figure.
(d) She steps on wooden planks which make noise.
10. What aspect of human nature is exemplified by Birle in this first chapter?
(c) Brute strength.
11. What does Birle carry for the Lord as they begin their journey?
(a) A heavy sack.
(b) The fishing spear.
(c) A walking stick.
12. What is Da's reason for protesting against Birle's engagement to Muir?
(a) Muir is too young.
(b) Birle is too young.
(c) Birle and Muir's social statuses do not match.
(d) Muir is too low-born for Birle.
13. How do the brothers take the news of Orien being an Earl and the idea of the Kingdom?
(a) They believe him and agree to set him free.
(b) They believe him and realize they can hold him for a large ransom.
(c) They mock him and the Kingdom.
(d) They ignore him.
14. Why does Orien apologize to Birle?
(a) He didn't listen to her about the rowing and they could have prevented the boat crash.
(b) He forgot to thank her for saving his life.
(c) He snapped at her in aggravation earlier and feels bad about it.
(d) He feels bad for leading her to this misfortune.
15. What does Orien tell Birle without her even asking?
(a) That he has never married, nor does he have children.
(b) That he hates his father for dying.
(c) That he never married but has one child.
(d) That he is married but has no children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birle promise the Lord?
2. Who else do Birle and the Lord discover is out on the waters with them?
3. What is the name of the Inn?
4. What is the true treasure that Birle's grandparents give her?
5. The fact that the man who has stolen the boat has no beard lets Birle realize that he holds what position in society?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)