|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Birle's position in society?
(a) Tavern wench.
(b) Farmer's daughter.
(c) Innkeeper's wife.
(d) Innkeeper's daughter.
2. What does the Lord confess to Birle once they are safe from the dog and men?
(a) That he fainted temporarily when the dog jumped on him.
(b) That he does not know how to wield a sword or knife as a weapon.
(c) That he has never killed a man.
(d) That he is really terrified of dogs.
3. The fact that the man who has stolen the boat has no beard lets Birle realize that he holds what position in society?
(a) A married man.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A Lord.
(d) A huntsman.
4. What is discovered about what is going to happen to Birle and Orien at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) They are going to be sold as servants.
(b) They are going to be ransomed.
(c) They are going to stay on the ship as servants.
(d) They are going to be sold into slavery.
5. How old does Birle discover that the Lord is?
6. What happens to Birle when she realizes she has been spotted by the thief?
(a) She tries to get the boat and falls into the water.
(b) She tackles the thief.
(c) She lets out a cry to sound the alarm of the theft.
(d) She pulls the boat towards her and away from the thief.
7. Who does Orien wave his arms towards from his location on the rock?
(a) No one. He was stretching but Birle thought he was waving.
(b) A boat he sees in the distance.
8. What happens to Birle when the boat is thrown against the waves?
(a) She drowns.
(b) She almost drowns but the Lord saves her.
(c) She grabs onto a rock and holds on to keep from drowning.
(d) She sees the Lord is drowning and saves him.
9. What does Birle offer the Lord as a gift?
(a) Her father's spear.
(b) Her grandparent's map.
(c) The Inn's boat.
(d) Her mother's necklace.
10. Why does the Lord agree to take Birle with him on his journey?
(a) He needs someone to get food and cook for him as he travels.
(b) He likes to rescue damsels in distress.
(c) He realizes he can use her to pretend to be his wife in certain situations.
(d) He has fallen in love with her and secretly wishes to marry her.
11. When Birle begins to fear for their lives, what does the Lord promise to do?
(a) Return her to her home safely.
(b) Keep her safe.
(c) Kill her before she is kidnapped by men.
(d) Marry her.
12. Why does the thief decide to keep Birle on board the boat and listen to her?
(a) She says she will reward him for the return of the boat.
(b) She convinces him that she knows the area and without her, he will be lost.
(c) She agrees to row for him so that he can rest.
(d) She agrees to marry him.
13. When Birle finally awakens on the ship after being rescued from the rock, what does she discover?
(a) Her feet are chained.
(b) She is in the captain's cabin.
(c) She is still on the rock and the rescue was a dream.
(d) Her entire body is chained.
14. What allows Birle to feel that the thief is no threat to her?
(a) The strange man's weak stature.
(b) Her blood.
(c) The fact that the man is asleep while she is awake.
(d) Her father's advice.
15. What happened to Birle's mother?
(a) She died from the plague.
(b) She died in childbirth.
(c) She died from a fever.
(d) She left the family.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Birle distract the Lord when he says he will take her back to the village?
2. Birle knows that the movement she sees at the beginning of the novel is not a man of the village because of what?
3. What about the strange man captures Birle once he awakens in the morning?
4. What does Birle confess to having done back at the Inn?
5. What do Birle and the Lord do to keep themselves distracted while stranded on the rock?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)