|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Birle know that the mysterious figure is not a robber?
(a) This person is carrying a sack full of loot.
(b) This person is alone and robbers move in packs.
(c) This person is moving with a pack and robbers are alone.
(d) This person is holding a glinting knife known to be carried by robbers of the Kingdom.
2. Near the end of Chapter 2, what are Birle's feelings towards her intended?
(a) She just wants to leave the Inn.
(b) She has no desire to wed him.
(c) She cannot wait to wed him.
(d) She does not care either way.
3. What is the law for second marriages for Lords?
(a) It is allowed with some restrictions.
(b) It is allowed once the first wife has been dead five years.
(c) It is allowed and even a third and fourth time.
(d) It is not allowed.
4. Who is Birle's master?
5. What does Birle NOT think about as she and the Lord travel down the river?
(a) The end of the journey and the parting.
(b) The life of an Innkeeper's daughter.
(c) Her grandparents.
(d) Her Da, brothers, and Nan.
6. What item has Orien lost, which was proof of his true identity?
(a) The map with his father's name.
(b) The signet ring.
(c) The family crest of arms.
(d) The royal seal.
7. Birle knows that the movement she sees at the beginning of the novel is not a man of the village because of what?
(a) Men of the village carry a light.
(b) Men of the village always walk in pairs.
(c) Men of the village are shorter.
(d) Men of the village make no noise.
8. What does Orien tell Birle without her even asking?
(a) That he has never married, nor does he have children.
(b) That he hates his father for dying.
(c) That he never married but has one child.
(d) That he is married but has no children.
9. Who chases Birle and the Lord?
(a) A solider.
(b) A thief.
(c) A murderer.
(d) A large hound dog.
10. Why does the thief decide to keep Birle on board the boat and listen to her?
(a) She agrees to marry him.
(b) She agrees to row for him so that he can rest.
(c) She says she will reward him for the return of the boat.
(d) She convinces him that she knows the area and without her, he will be lost.
11. What does the Lord tell Birle about the life of a wife of a huntsman?
(a) They live a life of luxury yet cheat on their husbands.
(b) They become fine ladies and are always happy.
(c) They become drunks yet life a life of luxury.
(d) They become drunks and cheat on their husbands.
12. Why do Birle and the Lord decide to both row?
(a) Because the Lord is tired of rowing alone.
(b) For exercise.
(c) To stay warm.
(d) Because Birle is tired of rowing alone.
13. What relation do Joaquim and Corbel have?
(a) They are friends.
(b) They are father and son.
(c) They are servant and master.
(d) They are brothers.
14. What happened to Birle's mother?
(a) She died from the plague.
(b) She died from a fever.
(c) She left the family.
(d) She died in childbirth.
15. About whom do Birle and Orien tell stories, all with different plots?
(b) The King.
(c) The Earl.
(d) King Midas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the dog do to the Lord?
2. What allows Birle to feel that the thief is no threat to her?
3. What does Birle suggest the Lord do so as to increase her time spent with him once they reach the island?
4. What do the people of the village and the Inn fear?
5. What does Birle carry for the Lord as they begin their journey?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)