|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Birle offer the Lord as a gift?
(a) Her grandparent's map.
(b) Her father's spear.
(c) Her mother's necklace.
(d) The Inn's boat.
2. What is the true treasure that Birle's grandparents give her?
(a) A map leading to the Lord's hidden treasure.
(b) A heavy dowry.
(c) Reading and writing.
(d) A large inheritance.
3. What does the Lord think is the truth about his father's death?
(a) He died from a fever.
(b) He was poisoned.
(c) He died from old age.
(d) He was murdered.
4. Who is the man in the crimson cloak?
5. What item has Orien lost, which was proof of his true identity?
(a) The map with his father's name.
(b) The royal seal.
(c) The signet ring.
(d) The family crest of arms.
6. What story does Birle tell the Lord?
(a) The story of her growing up with brothers.
(b) The story about Da's childhood.
(c) The story of her grandparent's treasure.
(d) The story about her grandmother and mother.
7. What does the Lord finally reveal to Birle as they are talking during the period of being stranded?
(a) That he is Orien, the next in line to be Earl.
(b) That he is Orien, the new Earl.
(c) That he is Orien, the Earl's brother.
(d) That he is Orien, the second in line to be Earl.
8. What is Birle forced to do to protect the Lord?
(a) Nothing, she keeps running.
(b) Slit the dog's throat.
(c) Cut off the Lord's hand that is attached to the dog.
(d) Throw her knife at the man chasing them.
9. What happened to the one woman that Orien loved?
(a) She died before they could wed.
(b) His father stole her away and left the country.
(c) His father, the Earl, married her instead.
(d) His brother married her instead.
10. What is the first "treasure" that Birle's grandparents showed her?
(a) A sack full of gold.
(b) A map of the kingdom.
(c) A painting of Birle's mother.
(d) An antique piece of jewelry from the royal family.
11. What does Birle suggest so that she does not have to part from the Lord?
(a) She says she will travel with him as a servant.
(b) She says she will travel with him as his wife.
(c) She says she will travel with him as his sister.
(d) She says she will travel with him as his brother.
12. Who else do Birle and the Lord discover is out on the waters with them?
(a) Two pirates.
(b) Two thugs.
(c) Two sailors.
(d) Two fishermen.
13. What is Birle's goal in regards to the thief and the boat?
(a) She does not care and prefers to go back home.
(b) She wants to prevent the theft of the boat and capture the thief.
(c) She wants to prevent the theft of the boat and does not care for the thief himself.
(d) She wants to capture the thief and take him back to the village.
14. What article of clothing does Birle use in hopes of the rain soaking it?
(a) Orien's hat.
(b) Orien's cloak.
(c) Her cloak.
(d) Her hat.
15. What does Birle finally reveal to the Lord?
(a) That she hates the Earl.
(b) That she knows how to fight.
(c) That she can read and write.
(d) That her mother was a princess.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Inn?
2. What is Birle's position in society?
3. Birle knows that the movement she sees at the beginning of the novel is not a man of the village because of what?
4. What does Orien tell Birle without her even asking?
5. Who is the only person still wearing the shackles at the beginning of Chapter 11?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)