|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What alerts the mysterious figure to Birle's presence?
(a) She trips and lets out a yelp.
(b) She calls out to the figure.
(c) She steps on wooden planks which make noise.
(d) She falls into the river making a splash.
2. What article of clothing does Birle use in hopes of the rain soaking it?
(a) Orien's cloak.
(b) Orien's hat.
(c) Her cloak.
(d) Her hat.
3. How does Birle know that the mysterious figure is not a robber?
(a) This person is holding a glinting knife known to be carried by robbers of the Kingdom.
(b) This person is carrying a sack full of loot.
(c) This person is moving with a pack and robbers are alone.
(d) This person is alone and robbers move in packs.
4. When does Birle find out that she will be freed?
(a) In seven year's time.
(b) In six year's time.
(c) In six month's time.
5. As Birle watches the Lord shave, what understanding does she come to about this?
(a) She realizes men look better with beards.
(b) She realizes that shaving can be very dangerous.
(c) She realizes men look better without beards.
(d) She realizes shaving is a waste of precious time.
6. What is the law for second marriages for Lords?
(a) It is allowed and even a third and fourth time.
(b) It is allowed once the first wife has been dead five years.
(c) It is allowed with some restrictions.
(d) It is not allowed.
7. How do the brothers take the news of Orien being an Earl and the idea of the Kingdom?
(a) They mock him and the Kingdom.
(b) They believe him and realize they can hold him for a large ransom.
(c) They believe him and agree to set him free.
(d) They ignore him.
8. What is Birle's goal in regards to the thief and the boat?
(a) She wants to prevent the theft of the boat and capture the thief.
(b) She wants to capture the thief and take him back to the village.
(c) She does not care and prefers to go back home.
(d) She wants to prevent the theft of the boat and does not care for the thief himself.
9. Hearing what name causes everyone's attitude to change in the city that Birle and Orien are taken to?
10. What causes the Lord to feel embarrassed in Chapter 3?
(a) When he is unable to light a fire with his tinderbox yet Birle manages it easily.
(b) When he attempts to catch some fish but is unable while Birle catches many.
(c) When he asks Birle where she is going and her response is that she is going to relieve herself.
(d) When he does not know how to cook the fish but Birle does .
11. What is the true treasure that Birle's grandparents give her?
(a) A heavy dowry.
(b) A map leading to the Lord's hidden treasure.
(c) A large inheritance.
(d) Reading and writing.
12. Why does the thief decide to keep Birle on board the boat and listen to her?
(a) She says she will reward him for the return of the boat.
(b) She convinces him that she knows the area and without her, he will be lost.
(c) She agrees to row for him so that he can rest.
(d) She agrees to marry him.
13. What is Birle's position in society?
(a) Tavern wench.
(b) Farmer's daughter.
(c) Innkeeper's wife.
(d) Innkeeper's daughter.
14. What is Birle forced to do to protect the Lord?
(a) Cut off the Lord's hand that is attached to the dog.
(b) Slit the dog's throat.
(c) Nothing, she keeps running.
(d) Throw her knife at the man chasing them.
15. Who tries to buy Birle first?
(a) The older man.
(b) The mines.
(c) The middling man.
(d) Two craftsmen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orien tell Birle without her even asking?
2. Where on the ship is Orien moved to near the beginning of Chapter 11?
3. How do the people of the village bathe in the winter, according to Birle?
4. What is the law for second marriages for commoners?
5. What do Birle and the Lord do to keep themselves distracted while stranded on the rock?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)