|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Birle when she realizes she has been spotted by the thief?
(a) She tackles the thief.
(b) She lets out a cry to sound the alarm of the theft.
(c) She tries to get the boat and falls into the water.
(d) She pulls the boat towards her and away from the thief.
2. What is the true treasure that Birle's grandparents give her?
(a) Reading and writing.
(b) A large inheritance.
(c) A heavy dowry.
(d) A map leading to the Lord's hidden treasure.
3. What relation do Joaquim and Corbel have?
(a) They are servant and master.
(b) They are brothers.
(c) They are father and son.
(d) They are friends.
4. What does Birle end up doing as she and the Lord are hiding under their cloaks on the boat?
(a) Sing softly.
(b) Hum to herself.
(c) Fall asleep.
(d) Recite poetry.
5. Near the end of Chapter 2, what are Birle's feelings towards her intended?
(a) She just wants to leave the Inn.
(b) She cannot wait to wed him.
(c) She does not care either way.
(d) She has no desire to wed him.
6. What does Orien tell Birle without her even asking?
(a) That he never married but has one child.
(b) That he is married but has no children.
(c) That he hates his father for dying.
(d) That he has never married, nor does he have children.
7. What about the strange man captures Birle once he awakens in the morning?
(a) His tousled dark hair.
(b) His straight nose.
(c) The wink he sends her.
(d) His bellflower blue eyes.
8. What allows Birle to feel that the thief is no threat to her?
(a) Her father's advice.
(b) Her blood.
(c) The fact that the man is asleep while she is awake.
(d) The strange man's weak stature.
9. What does Birle confess to having done back at the Inn?
(a) Being with a man before marriage.
(b) Shirking her chores.
(c) Running away as a child.
(d) Burying her grandparent's treasure.
10. What does Birle carry for the Lord as they begin their journey?
(a) The fishing spear.
(c) A walking stick.
(d) A heavy sack.
11. When Birle awakens from sleeping on the boat in Chapter 6, what is she met with?
(a) Being kidnapped.
(b) The disappearance of the Lord.
12. How does Birle feel when she realizes she will never see the Lord again?
(a) Like she will never experience such an adventure again.
(b) Like a stone is crushing down on her.
(c) Like she is being freed of the burden of capturing him and facing reprimand.
(d) Like a stone has been lifted off of her.
13. What mistake does Birle make when the Lord pulls out his map?
(a) She almost lets him know that she can read.
(b) She steps on the map as he is laying it on the ground.
(c) She accidentally burns a corner of the map while making a fire.
(d) She agrees to let him keep the boat.
14. Who is the only person still wearing the shackles at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(b) The boy.
15. How old does Birle discover that the Lord is?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Lord agree to take Birle with him on his journey?
2. Who chases Birle and the Lord?
3. What article of clothing does Birle use in hopes of the rain soaking it?
4. How does Orien say he feels towards his father for his actions?
5. Soon after they begin walking, what do Birle and the Lord find?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)