|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Birle's position in society?
(a) Farmer's daughter.
(b) Innkeeper's daughter.
(c) Innkeeper's wife.
(d) Tavern wench.
2. Where do Birle and the Lord run to after they have been chased by a dog?
(a) Back to the boat.
(b) Towards the village.
(c) They jump in the water.
(d) Deeper into the forest.
3. How does Birle feel at the thought of marrying Muir?
4. What is the law for second marriages for Lords?
(a) It is not allowed.
(b) It is allowed and even a third and fourth time.
(c) It is allowed with some restrictions.
(d) It is allowed once the first wife has been dead five years.
5. When does Birle find out that she will be freed?
(a) In six year's time.
(b) In seven year's time.
(c) In six month's time.
6. What do the people of the village and the Inn fear?
(d) The man.
7. Who else do Birle and the Lord discover is out on the waters with them?
(a) Two fishermen.
(b) Two pirates.
(c) Two sailors.
(d) Two thugs.
8. What happened to Birle's mother?
(a) She died from the plague.
(b) She left the family.
(c) She died in childbirth.
(d) She died from a fever.
9. As Birle watches the Lord shave, what understanding does she come to about this?
(a) She realizes shaving is a waste of precious time.
(b) She realizes men look better without beards.
(c) She realizes that shaving can be very dangerous.
(d) She realizes men look better with beards.
10. Birle knows that the movement she sees at the beginning of the novel is not a man of the village because of what?
(a) Men of the village are shorter.
(b) Men of the village make no noise.
(c) Men of the village always walk in pairs.
(d) Men of the village carry a light.
11. What does Birle NOT think about as she and the Lord travel down the river?
(a) The end of the journey and the parting.
(b) Her grandparents.
(c) The life of an Innkeeper's daughter.
(d) Her Da, brothers, and Nan.
12. Who chases Birle and the Lord?
(a) A large hound dog.
(b) A murderer.
(c) A solider.
(d) A thief.
13. Why does the thief decide to keep Birle on board the boat and listen to her?
(a) She agrees to marry him.
(b) She convinces him that she knows the area and without her, he will be lost.
(c) She agrees to row for him so that he can rest.
(d) She says she will reward him for the return of the boat.
14. What is the name of the Inn?
(a) The Winged Falcon.
(b) The Falcon.
(c) The Falcon Inn.
(d) The Falcon's Wing.
15. What is Birle forced to do to protect the Lord?
(a) Throw her knife at the man chasing them.
(b) Cut off the Lord's hand that is attached to the dog.
(c) Nothing, she keeps running.
(d) Slit the dog's throat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birle finally reveal to the Lord?
2. What does Orien do to mark their presence where he and Birle are stranded?
3. When Birle begins to fear for their lives, what does the Lord promise to do?
4. What happens when Birle gives her leftover bread to the giant man?
5. How old does Birle discover that the Lord is?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)