|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Birle watches the Lord shave, what understanding does she come to about this?
(a) She realizes men look better without beards.
(b) She realizes shaving is a waste of precious time.
(c) She realizes men look better with beards.
(d) She realizes that shaving can be very dangerous.
2. What is the law for second marriages for commoners?
(a) It is not allowed but Nan was an exception.
(b) It is allowed with some restrictions.
(c) It is not allowed.
(d) It is allowed once the first wife has been dead five years.
3. What is Birle's goal in regards to the thief and the boat?
(a) She wants to prevent the theft of the boat and does not care for the thief himself.
(b) She wants to prevent the theft of the boat and capture the thief.
(c) She wants to capture the thief and take him back to the village.
(d) She does not care and prefers to go back home.
4. What does the Lord tell Birle about the life of a wife of a huntsman?
(a) They become fine ladies and are always happy.
(b) They live a life of luxury yet cheat on their husbands.
(c) They become drunks yet life a life of luxury.
(d) They become drunks and cheat on their husbands.
5. How does the Lord say that men of his stature bathe in the winter?
(a) By sitting in metal tins.
(b) By standing in wooden crates.
(c) By standing in wine barrels.
(d) By sitting in tubs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the thief decide to keep Birle on board the boat and listen to her?
2. What mythological creature does the Earl use as an example in the discussion that he and Birle have about doubt?
3. What is Birle's position in society?
4. Birle knows that the movement she sees at the beginning of the novel is not a man of the village because of what?
5. What mistake does Birle make when the Lord pulls out his map?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)