|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sign does Odysseus give to his father so he believes that Odysseus has returned?
2. What does Theoclymenus tell Penelope about the omen of the birds?
3. At his first feast in his own house, who throws a stool at Odysseus the beggar?
4. How does Penelope test the truth of Odysseus the beggar's story regarding Odysseus?
5. Which reveler refuses to give anything to Odysseus the beggar, who has come to witness his first feast?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most literary works have an antagonist. Is there one in The Odyssey? Explain your answer using the text.
Essay Topic 2
The immortals personify the natural elements on Earth. As nature, they are omnipresent and humans are subject to their whims and their will. In many ways, this is the story of man vs. nature. Discuss various examples of how the gods through nature challenge Odysseus, and how he is able to overcome nature.
Essay Topic 3
The Odyssey contains a dark side; Odysseus faces many monsters, a witch, and the underworld. What do these elements symbolize and why are they important for Odysseus to experience? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)