|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sign does Odysseus give to his father so he believes that Odysseus has returned?
2. In Book 24, In the halls of the dead, what were the heroes' shades discussing?
3. Who throws an ox-hoof at Odysseus the beggar?
4. What caused Telemachus to disband the feast after the fight of Irus and Odysseus the beggar?
5. In Book 16, Where do Telemachus' gifts go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Disguise is an important trick Athena uses to aid Odysseus.
1) Discuss the three different types of disguises she uses to hide Odysseus.
2) Discuss the kinds of disguises she uses for herself.
3) What is the significance of disguise to the entire poem?
Essay Topic 2
The Odyssey contains a dark side; Odysseus faces many monsters, a witch, and the underworld. What do these elements symbolize and why are they important for Odysseus to experience? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Odysseus is gone from home for a long time. He experiences more than most men. Dissect his journey and analyze its parts. Which part of his journey could he have changed easily and, thereby, returned home sooner? Why?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)