|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At his first feast in his own house, who throws a stool at Odysseus the beggar?
2. As Odysseus tells Eumaeus his story in Book 14, how does he say he earns a living and makes a name for himself?
3. What makes Irus nervous about his fight with Odysseus the beggar?
4. In Book 19, what does Odysseus the beggar tell Penelope has kept Odysseus away so long?
5. Why does Odysseus find sleep difficult in his home in Book 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though women are afforded very little in terms of respect, if goddesses did not aid Odysseus, he would not have made it home. Reconcile the disparity between their importance to his survival and the view of women in Ancient Greece.
Essay Topic 2
Vengeance and/or law being exercised fuel much of the action in this epic poem. It is an act of vengeance, which keeps Odysseus so long from his homeland? It is an act of vengeance, which slaughters the suitors? It is vengeance, which moves half the men of Ithaca to attack Odysseus on the farm? Where does the death of Odysseus' crew for the cattle of the Sun fit in? Why does Athena condone the slaughter of the suitors? Select three of these acts. Analyze each act, making sure to include mitigating factors, and determine which are criminal and which are legitimate.
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate Odysseus as hero. Is he a worthy hero or is he too selfish? Use evidence from the text to support your position.
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)