|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Telemachus supposed to put all the fighting gear that lies about Odysseus' hall?
2. What is the name Odysseus the beggar gives as his own in Book 19?
3. Who sets up the axes for the trial of the bow?
4. When Odysseus is on land after his voyage from Scheria, why doesn't he know where he is?
5. Who is the first in the hall to notice Odysseus the beggar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate Odysseus as hero. Is he a worthy hero or is he too selfish? Use evidence from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Penelope uses two devices that delay making a decision about marriage and manipulate the suitors. Appraise the effectiveness of each device towards her overall goal. Upon what does each rely? What does each device reveal about her potential husband? Evaluate which device was most useful for her purposes.
Essay Topic 3
By personally intervening, Athena shows to Achaeans that both Odysseus and Telemachus are valuable. What does each man possess that is considered important among the Achaeans at this time? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)