|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Book 13, what else does Alcinous decide to give Odysseus once his tale is over?
2. What gift does Helen give to Telemachus as he is preparing to leave Lacedaemon?
3. How does Penelope initially react to Eurycleia's news about Odysseus and the suitors?
4. Among the suitors, who tried to use the bow first?
5. In Book 14, where does a disguised Odysseus tell Eumaeus he is from when asked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This poem contains the stories of five pairs of husbands and wives. Explain what is to be learned about marriage from each pair. This should also include a discussion of the roles of men and women.
Essay Topic 2
Even though women are afforded very little in terms of respect, if goddesses did not aid Odysseus, he would not have made it home. Reconcile the disparity between their importance to his survival and the view of women in Ancient Greece.
Essay Topic 3
The word odyssey is synonymous with journey. Explain why this is an appropriate title for the poem.
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)