|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interprets the sign of the eagle and the goose as Telemachus and Peisistratus are leaving Lacedaemon?
2. According to Book 13, what else does Alcinous decide to give Odysseus once his tale is over?
3. Who does Telemachus first slay among the suitors during the battle in the hall?
4. What does Eupeithes seek at the assembly after the lords learn of the slaughter of the suitors?
5. Where is Telemachus supposed to put all the fighting gear that lies about Odysseus' hall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By personally intervening, Athena shows to Achaeans that both Odysseus and Telemachus are valuable. What does each man possess that is considered important among the Achaeans at this time? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The word odyssey is synonymous with journey. Explain why this is an appropriate title for the poem.
Essay Topic 3
The Odyssey contains a dark side; Odysseus faces many monsters, a witch, and the underworld. What do these elements symbolize and why are they important for Odysseus to experience? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)