|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Odysseus pray the next morning after speaking with Penelope alone, looking for a sign?
2. Who gives Odysseus the bow that Penelope is using in her contest for the suitors?
3. In Book 24, In the halls of the dead, what were the heroes' shades discussing?
4. After the first suitor fails to string the bow, what does he recommend?
5. How does Eurycleia recognize Odysseus the beggar as Odysseus in Book 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By personally intervening, Athena shows to Achaeans that both Odysseus and Telemachus are valuable. What does each man possess that is considered important among the Achaeans at this time? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Most literary works have an antagonist. Is there one in The Odyssey? Explain your answer using the text.
Essay Topic 3
This poem contains the stories of five pairs of husbands and wives. Explain what is to be learned about marriage from each pair. This should also include a discussion of the roles of men and women.
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)