|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Helen give to Telemachus as he is preparing to leave Lacedaemon?
2. At his first feast in his own house, who throws a stool at Odysseus the beggar?
3. Why does Odysseus find sleep difficult in his home in Book 20?
4. Who betrayed Penelope's loom of deceit?
5. As Odysseus tells Eumaeus his story in Book 14, how does he say he earns a living and makes a name for himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As one of the first epic poems of the Western world, The Odyssey is the model from which scholars have dissected and labeled other poems that have followed. Identify the poetic conventions of the epic poem, providing examples from the text to support its use as the model.
Essay Topic 2
Sociologists can glean quite a bit of information about a culture from surviving literature. Use The Odyssey to illuminate the values of this society. What ideals are valued? What are some distinguishing characteristic of the Ancient Achaeans?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate Odysseus as hero. Is he a worthy hero or is he too selfish? Use evidence from the text to support your position.
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)