|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lets the first spear fly when the mourners come to attack in Book 24?
2. According to Book 13, what else does Alcinous decide to give Odysseus once his tale is over?
3. Who is the first in the hall to notice Odysseus the beggar?
4. What gift does Helen give to Telemachus as he is preparing to leave Lacedaemon?
5. What is the name Odysseus the beggar gives as his own in Book 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though women are afforded very little in terms of respect, if goddesses did not aid Odysseus, he would not have made it home. Reconcile the disparity between their importance to his survival and the view of women in Ancient Greece.
Essay Topic 2
As one of the first epic poems of the Western world, The Odyssey is the model from which scholars have dissected and labeled other poems that have followed. Identify the poetic conventions of the epic poem, providing examples from the text to support its use as the model.
Essay Topic 3
The poem ends abruptly because there needs to be an explanation for peace. How does the ending demonstrate this society's belief in the rule of law? Without the intervention of the immortals, would the conflict continue?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)