|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Penelope pray after speaking with Odysseus the beggar in Book 20?
2. Who tries to help the suitors in Book 22 by grabbing the armor and weapons?
3. What is the name Odysseus the beggar gives as his own in Book 19?
4. Who does Telemachus first slay among the suitors during the battle in the hall?
5. How does Eurycleia recognize Odysseus the beggar as Odysseus in Book 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The immortals personify the natural elements on Earth. As nature, they are omnipresent and humans are subject to their whims and their will. In many ways, this is the story of man vs. nature. Discuss various examples of how the gods through nature challenge Odysseus, and how he is able to overcome nature.
Essay Topic 2
The poem ends abruptly because there needs to be an explanation for peace. How does the ending demonstrate this society's belief in the rule of law? Without the intervention of the immortals, would the conflict continue?
Essay Topic 3
Vengeance and/or law being exercised fuel much of the action in this epic poem. It is an act of vengeance, which keeps Odysseus so long from his homeland? It is an act of vengeance, which slaughters the suitors? It is vengeance, which moves half the men of Ithaca to attack Odysseus on the farm? Where does the death of Odysseus' crew for the cattle of the Sun fit in? Why does Athena condone the slaughter of the suitors? Select three of these acts. Analyze each act, making sure to include mitigating factors, and determine which are criminal and which are legitimate.
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)