|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eupeithes seek at the assembly after the lords learn of the slaughter of the suitors?
2. In Book 24, In the halls of the dead, what were the heroes' shades discussing?
3. What will the winner of the beggars' fight in Book 18 get from the suitors?
4. Why is Telemachus skeptical that he and Odysseus can handle the suitors without help?
5. With whom was Eumaeus raised?
Essay Topic 1
Odysseus is gone from home for a long time. He experiences more than most men. Dissect his journey and analyze its parts. Which part of his journey could he have changed easily and, thereby, returned home sooner? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Even though women are afforded very little in terms of respect, if goddesses did not aid Odysseus, he would not have made it home. Reconcile the disparity between their importance to his survival and the view of women in Ancient Greece.
Essay Topic 3
The word odyssey is synonymous with journey. Explain why this is an appropriate title for the poem.
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)