|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the first suitor fails to string the bow, what does he recommend?
2. In Book 23, now that the fight with the suitors is over, what does Odysseus tell Telemachus to do?
3. Who is the first in the hall to notice Odysseus the beggar?
4. What does Odysseus do during the voyage home in Book 13?
5. Who interprets the sign of the eagle and the goose as Telemachus and Peisistratus are leaving Lacedaemon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Homer repeats that Zeus is the friend and patron of strangers and supplicants. Odysseus finds himself at the mercy of others with mixed success. One end of his trip he is cursed for defending himself when mercy isn't shown, and the other end of his trip he is sent home like a god. Why doesn't Zeus punish the cyclops, or why is Odysseus allowed to be punished?
Essay Topic 2
Sociologists can glean quite a bit of information about a culture from surviving literature. Use The Odyssey to illuminate the values of this society. What ideals are valued? What are some distinguishing characteristic of the Ancient Achaeans?
Essay Topic 3
The poem ends abruptly because there needs to be an explanation for peace. How does the ending demonstrate this society's belief in the rule of law? Without the intervention of the immortals, would the conflict continue?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)