|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 14, where does a disguised Odysseus tell Eumaeus he is from when asked?
2. Which reveler refuses to give anything to Odysseus the beggar, who has come to witness his first feast?
3. How does Athene disguise Odysseus on Ithaca?
4. What time of day do Odysseus and the Phaecians set sail in Book 13?
5. Why does Telemachus take Theoclymenus on his ship home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Penelope uses two devices that delay making a decision about marriage and manipulate the suitors. Appraise the effectiveness of each device towards her overall goal. Upon what does each rely? What does each device reveal about her potential husband? Evaluate which device was most useful for her purposes.
Essay Topic 2
Even though women are afforded very little in terms of respect, if goddesses did not aid Odysseus, he would not have made it home. Reconcile the disparity between their importance to his survival and the view of women in Ancient Greece.
Essay Topic 3
Vengeance and/or law being exercised fuel much of the action in this epic poem. It is an act of vengeance, which keeps Odysseus so long from his homeland? It is an act of vengeance, which slaughters the suitors? It is vengeance, which moves half the men of Ithaca to attack Odysseus on the farm? Where does the death of Odysseus' crew for the cattle of the Sun fit in? Why does Athena condone the slaughter of the suitors? Select three of these acts. Analyze each act, making sure to include mitigating factors, and determine which are criminal and which are legitimate.
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)