Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which suitor has a "bad feeling" after Odysseus the beggar tries to warn him of impending danger in Book 18?
2. How does Eumaeus greet Telemachus upon his return in Book 16?
3. How does Eumaeus describe the suitors actions?
4. What caused Telemachus to disband the feast after the fight of Irus and Odysseus the beggar?
5. When Eurymachus' negotiations fail, what plan do the suitors make to escape from Odysseus' palace alive?
Essay Topic 1
The poem ends abruptly because there needs to be an explanation for peace. How does the ending demonstrate this society's belief in the rule of law? Without the intervention of the immortals, would the conflict continue?
Essay Topic 2
Homer allows the reader to sympathize with a couple of suitors - those who feel remorse and portend ill. Yet all are slaughtered. Why does Athena make a point of keeping those men at the hall? Why is her punishment so absolute? It is an appropriate punishment? Discuss the misdeeds of the suitors in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Disguise is an important trick Athena uses to aid Odysseus.
1) Discuss the three different types of disguises she uses to hide Odysseus.
2) Discuss the kinds of disguises she uses for herself.
3) What is the significance of disguise to the entire poem?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)