|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Odysseus going in the morning in Book 23, the day after the battle with the suitors?
2. Which suitor scorns Odysseus the beggar at the second feast which he attends, in Book 20?
3. How is Odysseus, the old stranger, received by the swineherd in Book 14?
4. What is Penelope's reaction when she sees Odysseus for the first time after the slaughter of the suitors?
5. At his first feast in his own house, who throws a stool at Odysseus the beggar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In order to be a leader, generally a person must exhibit certain qualities - nobility, honesty, and chivalry just to name a few. Having a good helping of charisma goes a long way as well. Antinous and Eurymachus are leaders among the suitors, a group of men who lack many positive qualities. Compare the two men. Evaluate which is the better man by determining who has more qualities that are positive and defining what those qualities are.
Essay Topic 2
By personally intervening, Athena shows to Achaeans that both Odysseus and Telemachus are valuable. What does each man possess that is considered important among the Achaeans at this time? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Sociologists can glean quite a bit of information about a culture from surviving literature. Use The Odyssey to illuminate the values of this society. What ideals are valued? What are some distinguishing characteristic of the Ancient Achaeans?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)