|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Telemachus react to his mother's contest in Book 21?
2. Who does Telemachus first slay among the suitors during the battle in the hall?
3. To whom does Odysseus pray the next morning after speaking with Penelope alone, looking for a sign?
4. What is the name Odysseus the beggar gives as his own in Book 19?
5. Among the suitors, who tried to use the bow first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Odyssey contains a dark side; Odysseus faces many monsters, a witch, and the underworld. What do these elements symbolize and why are they important for Odysseus to experience? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Vengeance and/or law being exercised fuel much of the action in this epic poem. It is an act of vengeance, which keeps Odysseus so long from his homeland? It is an act of vengeance, which slaughters the suitors? It is vengeance, which moves half the men of Ithaca to attack Odysseus on the farm? Where does the death of Odysseus' crew for the cattle of the Sun fit in? Why does Athena condone the slaughter of the suitors? Select three of these acts. Analyze each act, making sure to include mitigating factors, and determine which are criminal and which are legitimate.
Essay Topic 3
Athena, the goddess of wisdom, cleverly lobbies for Odysseus' return home with her uncle is away from Mt. Olympus. Though she does not openly oppose him, her actions aid someone whom Poseidon despises. Who is more powerful? Why?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)