|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the shepherd from the mainland treat Odysseus the beggar when he first meets him at the palace courtyard?
2. How does Penelope initially react to Eurycleia's news about Odysseus and the suitors?
3. What makes Irus nervous about his fight with Odysseus the beggar?
4. According to Penelope, when did Odysseus say it was acceptable for her to remarry?
5. How is Odysseus, the old stranger, received by the swineherd in Book 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By personally intervening, Athena shows to Achaeans that both Odysseus and Telemachus are valuable. What does each man possess that is considered important among the Achaeans at this time? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Homer allows the reader to sympathize with a couple of suitors - those who feel remorse and portend ill. Yet all are slaughtered. Why does Athena make a point of keeping those men at the hall? Why is her punishment so absolute? It is an appropriate punishment? Discuss the misdeeds of the suitors in your response.
Essay Topic 3
This poem contains the stories of five pairs of husbands and wives. Explain what is to be learned about marriage from each pair. This should also include a discussion of the roles of men and women.
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)