|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which suitor has a "bad feeling" after Odysseus the beggar tries to warn him of impending danger in Book 18?
2. How does Eumaeus greet Telemachus upon his return in Book 16?
3. How does Eumaeus describe the suitors actions?
4. What caused Telemachus to disband the feast after the fight of Irus and Odysseus the beggar?
5. When Eurymachus' negotiations fail, what plan do the suitors make to escape from Odysseus' palace alive?
Essay Topic 1
Vengeance and/or law being exercised fuel much of the action in this epic poem. It is an act of vengeance, which keeps Odysseus so long from his homeland? It is an act of vengeance, which slaughters the suitors? It is vengeance, which moves half the men of Ithaca to attack Odysseus on the farm? Where does the death of Odysseus' crew for the cattle of the Sun fit in? Why does Athena condone the slaughter of the suitors? Select three of these acts. Analyze each act, making sure to include mitigating factors, and determine which are criminal and which are legitimate.
Essay Topic 2
The immortals personify the natural elements on Earth. As nature, they are omnipresent and humans are subject to their whims and their will. In many ways, this is the story of man vs. nature. Discuss various examples of how the gods through nature challenge Odysseus, and how he is able to overcome nature.
Essay Topic 3
The Odyssey contains a dark side; Odysseus faces many monsters, a witch, and the underworld. What do these elements symbolize and why are they important for Odysseus to experience? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)