|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 14, where does a disguised Odysseus tell Eumaeus he is from when asked?
2. What ultimately exposes Odysseus' identity to Penelope?
3. For what does Penelope pray after speaking with Odysseus the beggar in Book 20?
4. Where is Telemachus supposed to put all the fighting gear that lies about Odysseus' hall?
5. When Odysseus is on land after his voyage from Scheria, why doesn't he know where he is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The immortals personify the natural elements on Earth. As nature, they are omnipresent and humans are subject to their whims and their will. In many ways, this is the story of man vs. nature. Discuss various examples of how the gods through nature challenge Odysseus, and how he is able to overcome nature.
Essay Topic 2
Homer repeats that Zeus is the friend and patron of strangers and supplicants. Odysseus finds himself at the mercy of others with mixed success. One end of his trip he is cursed for defending himself when mercy isn't shown, and the other end of his trip he is sent home like a god. Why doesn't Zeus punish the cyclops, or why is Odysseus allowed to be punished?
Essay Topic 3
Homer allows the reader to sympathize with a couple of suitors - those who feel remorse and portend ill. Yet all are slaughtered. Why does Athena make a point of keeping those men at the hall? Why is her punishment so absolute? It is an appropriate punishment? Discuss the misdeeds of the suitors in your response.
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)