Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which suitor has a "bad feeling" after Odysseus the beggar tries to warn him of impending danger in Book 18?
2. How does Eumaeus greet Telemachus upon his return in Book 16?
3. How does Eumaeus describe the suitors actions?
4. What caused Telemachus to disband the feast after the fight of Irus and Odysseus the beggar?
5. When Eurymachus' negotiations fail, what plan do the suitors make to escape from Odysseus' palace alive?
In order to be a leader, generally a person must exhibit certain qualities - nobility, honesty, and chivalry just to name a few. Having a good helping of charisma goes a long way as well. Antinous and Eurymachus are leaders among the suitors, a group of men who lack many positive qualities. Compare the two men. Evaluate which is the better man by determining who has more qualities that are positive and defining what those qualities are.
Sociologists can glean quite a bit of information about a culture from surviving literature. Use The Odyssey to illuminate the values of this society. What ideals are valued? What are some distinguishing characteristic of the Ancient Achaeans?
Homer allows the reader to sympathize with a couple of suitors - those who feel remorse and portend ill. Yet all are slaughtered. Why does Athena make a point of keeping those men at the hall? Why is her punishment so absolute? It is an appropriate punishment? Discuss the misdeeds of the suitors in your response.
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)