|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eumaeus greet Telemachus upon his return in Book 16?
2. Who interprets the sign of the eagle and the goose as Telemachus and Peisistratus are leaving Lacedaemon?
3. Which reveler refuses to give anything to Odysseus the beggar, who has come to witness his first feast?
4. Why doesn't Telemachus want his treasures taken to his house?
5. Once Odysseus realizes he's in Ithaca, what does Athene advise him to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most literary works have an antagonist. Is there one in The Odyssey? Explain your answer using the text.
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate Odysseus as hero. Is he a worthy hero or is he too selfish? Use evidence from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
The Odyssey contains a dark side; Odysseus faces many monsters, a witch, and the underworld. What do these elements symbolize and why are they important for Odysseus to experience? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)