|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sign does Odysseus give to his father so he believes that Odysseus has returned?
2. In Book 23, now that the fight with the suitors is over, what does Odysseus tell Telemachus to do?
3. At his first feast in his own house, who throws a stool at Odysseus the beggar?
4. In Book 24, In the halls of the dead, what were the heroes' shades discussing?
5. Once Odysseus realizes he's in Ithaca, what does Athene advise him to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The poem ends abruptly because there needs to be an explanation for peace. How does the ending demonstrate this society's belief in the rule of law? Without the intervention of the immortals, would the conflict continue?
Essay Topic 2
In order to be a leader, generally a person must exhibit certain qualities - nobility, honesty, and chivalry just to name a few. Having a good helping of charisma goes a long way as well. Antinous and Eurymachus are leaders among the suitors, a group of men who lack many positive qualities. Compare the two men. Evaluate which is the better man by determining who has more qualities that are positive and defining what those qualities are.
Essay Topic 3
Penelope uses two devices that delay making a decision about marriage and manipulate the suitors. Appraise the effectiveness of each device towards her overall goal. Upon what does each rely? What does each device reveal about her potential husband? Evaluate which device was most useful for her purposes.
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)