|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Menelaus get the gift he gave to Telemachus?
2. After the first suitor fails to string the bow, what does he recommend?
3. Why doesn't Telemachus want his treasures taken to his house?
4. In Book 23, now that the fight with the suitors is over, what does Odysseus tell Telemachus to do?
5. In Book 24, who tells the assembly that an immortal aided Odysseus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By personally intervening, Athena shows to Achaeans that both Odysseus and Telemachus are valuable. What does each man possess that is considered important among the Achaeans at this time? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The word odyssey is synonymous with journey. Explain why this is an appropriate title for the poem.
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate Odysseus as hero. Is he a worthy hero or is he too selfish? Use evidence from the text to support your position.
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)