|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At his first feast in his own house, who throws a stool at Odysseus the beggar?
2. According to Book 13, what else does Alcinous decide to give Odysseus once his tale is over?
3. What ultimately exposes Odysseus' identity to Penelope?
4. In Book 24, which of the suitors' shades tells the tale of their death to Agamemnon?
5. In addition to Odysseus and Penelope, who knew the secret of the bed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Odyssey is the story of Odysseus' homeward journey. However, Telemachus also makes a journey. Compare and contrast Odyssesus and Telemachus' journeys. Which man experiences greater change as a result from his journey? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Penelope uses two devices that delay making a decision about marriage and manipulate the suitors. Appraise the effectiveness of each device towards her overall goal. Upon what does each rely? What does each device reveal about her potential husband? Evaluate which device was most useful for her purposes.
Essay Topic 3
Even though women are afforded very little in terms of respect, if goddesses did not aid Odysseus, he would not have made it home. Reconcile the disparity between their importance to his survival and the view of women in Ancient Greece.
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)