|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Telemachus skeptical that he and Odysseus can handle the suitors without help?
2. Which reveler refuses to give anything to Odysseus the beggar, who has come to witness his first feast?
3. How is Odysseus, the old stranger, received by the swineherd in Book 14?
4. Why are there so few boars among Odysseus' swine in Book 14?
5. What ultimately exposes Odysseus' identity to Penelope?
Essay Topic 1
The poem ends abruptly because there needs to be an explanation for peace. How does the ending demonstrate this society's belief in the rule of law? Without the intervention of the immortals, would the conflict continue?
Essay Topic 2
This poem contains the stories of five pairs of husbands and wives. Explain what is to be learned about marriage from each pair. This should also include a discussion of the roles of men and women.
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate Odysseus as hero. Is he a worthy hero or is he too selfish? Use evidence from the text to support your position.
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)