|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which suitor has a "bad feeling" after Odysseus the beggar tries to warn him of impending danger in Book 18?
2. Why does Telemachus take Theoclymenus on his ship home?
3. How does Penelope initially react to Eurycleia's news about Odysseus and the suitors?
4. Where is Telemachus supposed to put all the fighting gear that lies about Odysseus' hall?
5. How does Telemachus react to his mother's contest in Book 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Odyssey is the story of Odysseus' homeward journey. However, Telemachus also makes a journey. Compare and contrast Odyssesus and Telemachus' journeys. Which man experiences greater change as a result from his journey? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate Odysseus as hero. Is he a worthy hero or is he too selfish? Use evidence from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Penelope uses two devices that delay making a decision about marriage and manipulate the suitors. Appraise the effectiveness of each device towards her overall goal. Upon what does each rely? What does each device reveal about her potential husband? Evaluate which device was most useful for her purposes.
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)