|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Odysseus pray the next morning after speaking with Penelope alone, looking for a sign?
2. What makes Irus nervous about his fight with Odysseus the beggar?
3. What caused Telemachus to disband the feast after the fight of Irus and Odysseus the beggar?
4. Who is the first in the hall to notice Odysseus the beggar?
5. Once Odysseus realizes he's in Ithaca, what does Athene advise him to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most literary works have an antagonist. Is there one in The Odyssey? Explain your answer using the text.
Essay Topic 2
Even though women are afforded very little in terms of respect, if goddesses did not aid Odysseus, he would not have made it home. Reconcile the disparity between their importance to his survival and the view of women in Ancient Greece.
Essay Topic 3
Homer allows the reader to sympathize with a couple of suitors - those who feel remorse and portend ill. Yet all are slaughtered. Why does Athena make a point of keeping those men at the hall? Why is her punishment so absolute? It is an appropriate punishment? Discuss the misdeeds of the suitors in your response.
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)