|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What test does Odysseus give his son in Book 16?
2. Since Telemachus dismissed the serving women, how is he able to move the armor in the dark in Book 19?
3. Why does Odysseus find sleep difficult in his home in Book 20?
4. How does Eumaeus greet Telemachus upon his return in Book 16?
5. Who gives Odysseus the bow that Penelope is using in her contest for the suitors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1The poem ends abruptly because there needs to be an explanation for peace. How does the ending demonstrate this society's belief in the rule of law? Without the intervention of the immortals, would the conflict continue?
Essay Topic 2Odysseus is gone from home for a long time. He experiences more than most men. Dissect his journey and analyze its parts. Which part of his journey could he have changed easily and, thereby, returned home sooner? Why?
Essay Topic 3Homer repeats that Zeus is the friend and patron of strangers and supplicants. Odysseus finds himself at the mercy of others with mixed success. One end of his trip he is cursed for defending himself when mercy isn't shown, and the other end of his trip he is sent home like a god. Why doesn't Zeus punish the cyclops, or why is Odysseus allowed to be punished?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)