|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to help the suitors in Book 22 by grabbing the armor and weapons?
2. To whom does Odysseus pray the next morning after speaking with Penelope alone, looking for a sign?
3. In Book 24, In the halls of the dead, what were the heroes' shades discussing?
4. For what does Penelope pray after speaking with Odysseus the beggar in Book 20?
5. What time of day do Odysseus and the Phaecians set sail in Book 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By personally intervening, Athena shows to Achaeans that both Odysseus and Telemachus are valuable. What does each man possess that is considered important among the Achaeans at this time? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Penelope uses two devices that delay making a decision about marriage and manipulate the suitors. Appraise the effectiveness of each device towards her overall goal. Upon what does each rely? What does each device reveal about her potential husband? Evaluate which device was most useful for her purposes.
Essay Topic 3
Athena, the goddess of wisdom, cleverly lobbies for Odysseus' return home with her uncle is away from Mt. Olympus. Though she does not openly oppose him, her actions aid someone whom Poseidon despises. Who is more powerful? Why?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)