|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Athene instructs Nestor to help Telemachus on the next leg of his journey. What does he supply?
2. Who helps Telemachus procure a ship and crew to begin his quest?
3. Which of his six remaining sons does Nestor send with Telemachus in Book 3?
4. After his battle with Poseidon in Book 5, where does Odysseus find shelter in the land on which he has just arrived?
5. Who killed Aegisthus for the murder of Agamemnon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recount the most recent part of Odysseus' story of woe, as told in Book 7.
2. Why do the rest of the men (aside from the suitors) gathered at the assembly fail to speak or act in Book 2?
3. From Helen and Menelaus' stories, what can be said about Odysseus?
4. Why does Menelaus mourn so much for Odysseus?
5. Describe Nestor, King of Pylos.
6. Explain Odysseus' reaction to Calypso and Ino's help in Book 5.
7. How does Telemachus assert himself to his mother during the trial of the bow?
8. Why does Odysseus reveal himself to Eumaeus and Philoetius?
9. What makes Eumaeus a loyal servant and friend?
10. What relationship do the Phaecians have with the gods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vengeance and/or law being exercised fuel much of the action in this epic poem. It is an act of vengeance, which keeps Odysseus so long from his homeland? It is an act of vengeance, which slaughters the suitors? It is vengeance, which moves half the men of Ithaca to attack Odysseus on the farm? Where does the death of Odysseus' crew for the cattle of the Sun fit in? Why does Athena condone the slaughter of the suitors? Select three of these acts. Analyze each act, making sure to include mitigating factors, and determine which are criminal and which are legitimate.
Essay Topic 2
The word odyssey is synonymous with journey. Explain why this is an appropriate title for the poem.
Essay Topic 3
Disguise is an important trick Athena uses to aid Odysseus.
1) Discuss the three different types of disguises she uses to hide Odysseus.
2) Discuss the kinds of disguises she uses for herself.
3) What is the significance of disguise to the entire poem?
This section contains 1,778 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)