|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his battle with Poseidon in Book 5, where does Odysseus find shelter in the land on which he has just arrived?
2. According to Halitherses in Book 2, how long will Odysseus be gone before he returns to his friends and family?
3. How long have the suitors been coming to Odysseus' home?
4. What advice does Agamemnon give to Odysseus regarding women in Book 11?
5. While making announcements after Mentes' visit in Book 1, what else does Telemachus tell the suitors of his hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Poseidon's attack on Odysseus in Book 5.
2. Describe Eurylochus' actions in Book 12. What kind of man is he?
3. What causes Odysseus' crew to open Aeolus' gift?
4. Describe the behavior of the suitors at the assembly in Book 2.
5. Why does Athene reveal her presence to Telemachus and Nestor in Book 3?
6. What makes Eumaeus a loyal servant and friend?
7. Recount the most recent part of Odysseus' story of woe, as told in Book 7.
8. In Book 3, what can be learned from the story of Agamemnon's murder since the reader is seeing it a second time?
9. Explain Odysseus' reaction to Calypso and Ino's help in Book 5.
10. What is similar to Odysseus' real plight in his fictional tale to Eumaeus in Book 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In order to be a leader, generally a person must exhibit certain qualities - nobility, honesty, and chivalry just to name a few. Having a good helping of charisma goes a long way as well. Antinous and Eurymachus are leaders among the suitors, a group of men who lack many positive qualities. Compare the two men. Evaluate which is the better man by determining who has more qualities that are positive and defining what those qualities are.
Essay Topic 2
The Odyssey contains a dark side; Odysseus faces many monsters, a witch, and the underworld. What do these elements symbolize and why are they important for Odysseus to experience? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Penelope uses two devices that delay making a decision about marriage and manipulate the suitors. Appraise the effectiveness of each device towards her overall goal. Upon what does each rely? What does each device reveal about her potential husband? Evaluate which device was most useful for her purposes.
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)