|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Odysseus pray while in the meadow awaiting the appropriate time to arrive at the palace in Book 6?
2. Where did Nestor last see Odysseus?
3. In Book 6, what instructions does Nausicaa give her maids regarding Odysseus?
4. According to Nestor, who wanted the Achaeans to suffer on the way home from Troy?
5. What does Telemachus seek from the assembly above all?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Nausicaa act properly towards Odysseus when giving aid in Book 6?
2. Describe Poseidon's attack on Odysseus in Book 5.
3. In what ways does Odysseus reveal his crafty mind in his encounter with the cyclops?
4. Describe Nausicaa's character.
5. Describe the exchange between Odysseus and the shepherd boy in Book 13. What does it show about Odysseus' nature?
6. Why does Telemachus lie to Antinous and Eurymachus, telling them Odysseus is dead?
7. Even though Poseidon acknowledges Odysseus's fate, he continues to punish him. Why?
8. Describe the behavior of the suitors at the assembly in Book 2.
9. What are the suitors' fears now that Telemachus has escaped their plot in Book 16?
10. What does the story of Ares and Aphrodite teach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Odysseus is gone from home for a long time. He experiences more than most men. Dissect his journey and analyze its parts. Which part of his journey could he have changed easily and, thereby, returned home sooner? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The word odyssey is synonymous with journey. Explain why this is an appropriate title for the poem.
Essay Topic 3
This poem contains the stories of five pairs of husbands and wives. Explain what is to be learned about marriage from each pair. This should also include a discussion of the roles of men and women.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)