|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Odysseus and his men push away from the Cyclops island, what does Odysseus do?
2. What does Aeolus give Odysseus in Book 10?
3. What does Mentes tell Telemachus in Book 1 that he must do?
4. While Telemachus is in Lycaedaemon, what plan do the suitors devise to punish Telemachus for leaving?
5. Who first notices Odysseus' clothes in Alcinous' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship do the Phaecians have with the gods?
2. How does Calypso feel about releasing Odysseus?
3. Why does Homer begin the last book in the halls of the dead?
4. Describe Nestor, King of Pylos.
5. In what ways was Odysseus' naming prophetic?
6. Recount the most recent part of Odysseus' story of woe, as told in Book 7.
7. Why does Odysseus tell Polyphemus his true name?
8. From Helen and Menelaus' stories, what can be said about Odysseus?
9. How does Telemachus assert himself to his mother during the trial of the bow?
10. In Book 23, Telemachus calls his mother's reaction to Odysseus cold and unfeeling. What does it reveal about her character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This poem contains the stories of five pairs of husbands and wives. Explain what is to be learned about marriage from each pair. This should also include a discussion of the roles of men and women.
Essay Topic 2
Athena, the goddess of wisdom, cleverly lobbies for Odysseus' return home with her uncle is away from Mt. Olympus. Though she does not openly oppose him, her actions aid someone whom Poseidon despises. Who is more powerful? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Vengeance and/or law being exercised fuel much of the action in this epic poem. It is an act of vengeance, which keeps Odysseus so long from his homeland? It is an act of vengeance, which slaughters the suitors? It is vengeance, which moves half the men of Ithaca to attack Odysseus on the farm? Where does the death of Odysseus' crew for the cattle of the Sun fit in? Why does Athena condone the slaughter of the suitors? Select three of these acts. Analyze each act, making sure to include mitigating factors, and determine which are criminal and which are legitimate.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)