|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times has the meeting of the assembly occurred since Odysseus left?
2. Telemachus is overrun with ________, who sponge off of him and his estate, making no amends.
3. Where is Odysseus at the beginning of the poem?
4. What color yarn does Nausicaa's mother spin?
5. Odysseus and his men have just landed on an island after the lotus-eaters. Why does Odysseus leave this place the next morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eumaeus think will happen to the old man if he approaches the suitors for work? Why?
2. Why does Athene reveal her presence to Telemachus and Nestor in Book 3?
3. Is the ending satisfying to readers? Why or why not?
4. Why is Eurymachus' offer of recompense not enough for Odysseus?
5. Describe the suitors' reaction to Telemachus calling a meeting of the assembly in Book 1.
6. Describe the exchange between Odysseus and the shepherd boy in Book 13. What does it show about Odysseus' nature?
7. Why does Odysseus tell Polyphemus his true name?
8. What is interesting in Penelope's appearance to the suitors after the boxing match between Odysseus and Irus?
9. What does Nestor tell Telemachus of Odysseus during Telemachus' visit in Book 3?
10. Why do the rest of the men (aside from the suitors) gathered at the assembly fail to speak or act in Book 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By personally intervening, Athena shows to Achaeans that both Odysseus and Telemachus are valuable. What does each man possess that is considered important among the Achaeans at this time? Use the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Most literary works have an antagonist. Is there one in The Odyssey? Explain your answer using the text.
Essay Topic 3
Homer allows the reader to sympathize with a couple of suitors - those who feel remorse and portend ill. Yet all are slaughtered. Why does Athena make a point of keeping those men at the hall? Why is her punishment so absolute? It is an appropriate punishment? Discuss the misdeeds of the suitors in your response.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)