|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, with his ship destroyed, Odysseus drifts until he reaches _____________.
2. Odysseus and his men have just landed on an island after the lotus-eaters. Why does Odysseus leave this place the next morning?
3. How many days does it take Odysseus to make his preparations and finally leave Ogygia?
4. Why was Menelaus late returning from Troy?
5. Where is Poseidon coming from when he sees Odysseus on his raft in Book 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hercules serves as a reminder for/about?
2. Describe Poseidon's attack on Odysseus in Book 5.
3. Is it necessary for Odysseus to threaten Eurycleia when she recognizes him?
4. In Book 20, why does Athene make the suitors laugh uncontrollably?
5. Is the punishment of the slave maids in Book 22 just and reasonable?
6. Does Nausicaa act properly towards Odysseus when giving aid in Book 6?
7. What relationship do the Phaecians have with the gods?
8. What are the suitors' fears now that Telemachus has escaped their plot in Book 16?
9. In Book 15, why does Peisistratus let Telemachus go without seeing Nestor again? Is this wise?
10. In Book 3, what can be learned from the story of Agamemnon's murder since the reader is seeing it a second time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sociologists can glean quite a bit of information about a culture from surviving literature. Use The Odyssey to illuminate the values of this society. What ideals are valued? What are some distinguishing characteristic of the Ancient Achaeans?
Essay Topic 2
The poem ends abruptly because there needs to be an explanation for peace. How does the ending demonstrate this society's belief in the rule of law? Without the intervention of the immortals, would the conflict continue?
Essay Topic 3
The Odyssey contains a dark side; Odysseus faces many monsters, a witch, and the underworld. What do these elements symbolize and why are they important for Odysseus to experience? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)