|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Telemachus procure a ship and crew to begin his quest?
2. In Chapter 12, with his ship destroyed, Odysseus drifts until he reaches _____________.
3. How many times has the meeting of the assembly occurred since Odysseus left?
4. Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Menelaus tell?
5. What does Circe turn Odysseus' crew into in Book 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Odysseus reveal himself to Eumaeus and Philoetius?
2. In Book 20, what has happened to Telemachus now that Odysseus has returned?
3. Describe Eurylochus' actions in Book 12. What kind of man is he?
4. What causes Odysseus' crew to open Aeolus' gift?
5. Is the punishment of the slave maids in Book 22 just and reasonable?
6. What is interesting in Penelope's appearance to the suitors after the boxing match between Odysseus and Irus?
7. What is similar to Odysseus' real plight in his fictional tale to Eumaeus in Book 14?
8. Describe the exchange between Odysseus and the shepherd boy in Book 13. What does it show about Odysseus' nature?
9. Odysseus tells his men about the Sirens. Why doesn't he share Circe's information and advice about Scylla and Charybdis?
10. In Book 17, why does Telemachus sit amongst Odysseus' old friends when he returns home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though women are afforded very little in terms of respect, if goddesses did not aid Odysseus, he would not have made it home. Reconcile the disparity between their importance to his survival and the view of women in Ancient Greece.
Essay Topic 2
The immortals personify the natural elements on Earth. As nature, they are omnipresent and humans are subject to their whims and their will. In many ways, this is the story of man vs. nature. Discuss various examples of how the gods through nature challenge Odysseus, and how he is able to overcome nature.
Essay Topic 3
Disguise is an important trick Athena uses to aid Odysseus.
1) Discuss the three different types of disguises she uses to hide Odysseus.
2) Discuss the kinds of disguises she uses for herself.
3) What is the significance of disguise to the entire poem?
This section contains 1,733 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)