|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Nestor last see Odysseus?
2. Odysseus and his men have just landed on an island after the lotus-eaters. Why does Odysseus leave this place the next morning?
3. Why does Odysseus have to go to Hades in Book 10?
4. Which god(dess) visits Telemachus at the beginning of the poem?
5. After his battle with Poseidon in Book 5, where does Odysseus find shelter in the land on which he has just arrived?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book 23, Telemachus calls his mother's reaction to Odysseus cold and unfeeling. What does it reveal about her character?
2. Why does Menelaus mourn so much for Odysseus?
3. From Helen and Menelaus' stories, what can be said about Odysseus?
4. Why doesn't Odysseus' journey end when he slays the suitors and gets his vengeance in Book 11?
5. What makes Eumaeus a loyal servant and friend?
6. Why does Odysseus tell Polyphemus his true name?
7. What does Nestor tell Telemachus of Odysseus during Telemachus' visit in Book 3?
8. Why does Athene reveal her presence to Telemachus and Nestor in Book 3?
9. What kind of hospitality does Telemachus offer the old man in Book 16?
10. Does Nausicaa act properly towards Odysseus when giving aid in Book 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Penelope uses two devices that delay making a decision about marriage and manipulate the suitors. Appraise the effectiveness of each device towards her overall goal. Upon what does each rely? What does each device reveal about her potential husband? Evaluate which device was most useful for her purposes.
Essay Topic 2
Most literary works have an antagonist. Is there one in The Odyssey? Explain your answer using the text.
Essay Topic 3
Homer allows the reader to sympathize with a couple of suitors - those who feel remorse and portend ill. Yet all are slaughtered. Why does Athena make a point of keeping those men at the hall? Why is her punishment so absolute? It is an appropriate punishment? Discuss the misdeeds of the suitors in your response.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)