Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes Odysseus' initial reaction when Calypso offers to help him in Book 5?
2. According to Nestor, who wanted the Achaeans to suffer on the way home from Troy?
3. What does Telemachus seek from the assembly above all?
4. Where is Poseidon coming from when he sees Odysseus on his raft in Book 5?
5. Odysseus and his men have just landed on an island after the lotus-eaters. Why does Odysseus leave this place the next morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which men support Telemachus at the assembly in Book 2? Why do they support him, and how are they treated by the others?
2. What relationship do the Phaecians have with the gods?
3. Describe the suitors' reaction to Telemachus calling a meeting of the assembly in Book 1.
4. What makes Eumaeus a loyal servant and friend?
5. Why is Eurymachus' offer of recompense not enough for Odysseus?
6. What causes Odysseus' crew to open Aeolus' gift?
7. What do the suitors think of Telemachus leaving Ithaca? What are their fears?
8. Why does Athene reveal her presence to Telemachus and Nestor in Book 3?
9. Describe the behavior of the suitors at the assembly in Book 2.
10. How does Euryalus insult Odysseus when the Phaeacians are engaging in sport?
Essay Topic 1
Sociologists can glean quite a bit of information about a culture from surviving literature. Use The Odyssey to illuminate the values of this society. What ideals are valued? What are some distinguishing characteristic of the Ancient Achaeans?
Essay Topic 2
Vengeance and/or law being exercised fuel much of the action in this epic poem. It is an act of vengeance, which keeps Odysseus so long from his homeland? It is an act of vengeance, which slaughters the suitors? It is vengeance, which moves half the men of Ithaca to attack Odysseus on the farm? Where does the death of Odysseus' crew for the cattle of the Sun fit in? Why does Athena condone the slaughter of the suitors? Select three of these acts. Analyze each act, making sure to include mitigating factors, and determine which are criminal and which are legitimate.
Essay Topic 3
The Odyssey contains a dark side; Odysseus faces many monsters, a witch, and the underworld. What do these elements symbolize and why are they important for Odysseus to experience? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)