|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Telemachus is in Lycaedaemon, what plan do the suitors devise to punish Telemachus for leaving?
2. According to Nausicaa, to whom should Odysseus first appeal when he gets to the court in Book 6?
3. What announcement does Telemachus make to the suitors of his hall in Book 1?
4. Which god(dess) visits Telemachus at the beginning of the poem?
5. How many times has the meeting of the assembly occurred since Odysseus left?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways was Odysseus' naming prophetic?
2. Describe the behavior of the suitors at the assembly in Book 2.
3. How is Odysseus discovered by the maids of Phaecia?
4. Why does Odysseus tell Polyphemus his true name?
5. What do the suitors think of Telemachus leaving Ithaca? What are their fears?
6. What relationship do the Phaecians have with the gods?
7. Does Nausicaa act properly towards Odysseus when giving aid in Book 6?
8. In Book 17, why does Telemachus sit amongst Odysseus' old friends when he returns home?
9. In Book 20, what has happened to Telemachus now that Odysseus has returned?
10. Enumerate Telemachus' problem - why has he called the leaders of Ithaca together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The poem ends abruptly because there needs to be an explanation for peace. How does the ending demonstrate this society's belief in the rule of law? Without the intervention of the immortals, would the conflict continue?
Essay Topic 2
Sociologists can glean quite a bit of information about a culture from surviving literature. Use The Odyssey to illuminate the values of this society. What ideals are valued? What are some distinguishing characteristic of the Ancient Achaeans?
Essay Topic 3
Homer allows the reader to sympathize with a couple of suitors - those who feel remorse and portend ill. Yet all are slaughtered. Why does Athena make a point of keeping those men at the hall? Why is her punishment so absolute? It is an appropriate punishment? Discuss the misdeeds of the suitors in your response.
This section contains 1,649 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)