|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of his six remaining sons does Nestor send with Telemachus in Book 3?
2. Why was Menelaus late returning from Troy?
3. What is Nestor doing when Telemachus arrives in Pylos?
4. What is unique about Demodocus the bard?
5. Who reads the sign given while Telemachus calls upon Zeus in Book 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Odysseus reveal his crafty mind in his encounter with the cyclops?
2. In Book 15, why does Peisistratus let Telemachus go without seeing Nestor again? Is this wise?
3. Why does Menelaus mourn so much for Odysseus?
4. Why does Homer begin the last book in the halls of the dead?
5. Why does Odysseus tell Polyphemus his true name?
6. In Book 3, what can be learned from the story of Agamemnon's murder since the reader is seeing it a second time?
7. Why does Circe help Odysseus in Book 10?
8. Is the ending satisfying to readers? Why or why not?
9. How does Telemachus assert himself to his mother during the trial of the bow?
10. Recount the most recent part of Odysseus' story of woe, as told in Book 7.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The poem ends abruptly because there needs to be an explanation for peace. How does the ending demonstrate this society's belief in the rule of law? Without the intervention of the immortals, would the conflict continue?
Essay Topic 2
Most literary works have an antagonist. Is there one in The Odyssey? Explain your answer using the text.
Essay Topic 3
The Odyssey contains a dark side; Odysseus faces many monsters, a witch, and the underworld. What do these elements symbolize and why are they important for Odysseus to experience? Use the text to support your answer.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)