|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Odysseus and his men push away from the Cyclops island, what does Odysseus do?
2. How did Odysseus appear after his bath in Book 6?
3. While Telemachus is in Lycaedaemon, what plan do the suitors devise to punish Telemachus for leaving?
4. According to Teiresias' shade, what will help Odysseus and his crew make it home safely?
5. Why, despite taking an oath, does Odysseus' crew slay some cattle of the Sun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nausicaa's character.
2. What does Eumaeus think will happen to the old man if he approaches the suitors for work? Why?
3. What relationship do the Phaecians have with the gods?
4. Explain the circumstances that lead Athene to intervene on Odysseus' behalf at the very beginning of the poem.
5. What kind of hospitality does Telemachus offer the old man in Book 16?
6. In Book 20, why does Athene make the suitors laugh uncontrollably?
7. Why does Homer begin the last book in the halls of the dead?
8. In Book 20, what has happened to Telemachus now that Odysseus has returned?
9. How does Calypso feel about releasing Odysseus?
10. Describe Odysseus' bed.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This poem contains the stories of five pairs of husbands and wives. Explain what is to be learned about marriage from each pair. This should also include a discussion of the roles of men and women.
Essay Topic 2
Athena, the goddess of wisdom, cleverly lobbies for Odysseus' return home with her uncle is away from Mt. Olympus. Though she does not openly oppose him, her actions aid someone whom Poseidon despises. Who is more powerful? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Homer repeats that Zeus is the friend and patron of strangers and supplicants. Odysseus finds himself at the mercy of others with mixed success. One end of his trip he is cursed for defending himself when mercy isn't shown, and the other end of his trip he is sent home like a god. Why doesn't Zeus punish the cyclops, or why is Odysseus allowed to be punished?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)