|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving the lotus-eaters, what do Odysseus and his ships find in Book 9?
2. What does the first spirit to visit Odysseus in Hades ask him to do?
3. What is the subject of Demodocus' first song at Alcinous' feast in Book 8?
4. As a result of the meeting of the assembly in Book 2, what do the suitors decide to do?
5. According to Circe, how should Odysseus get past the Sirens while listening to their song?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the suitors think of Telemachus leaving Ithaca? What are their fears?
2. In Book 3, what can be learned from the story of Agamemnon's murder since the reader is seeing it a second time?
3. According to Nestor and Menelaus, was the war worth the cost?
4. Why does Odysseus tell Polyphemus his true name?
5. In Book 15, why does Peisistratus let Telemachus go without seeing Nestor again? Is this wise?
6. What is interesting in Penelope's appearance to the suitors after the boxing match between Odysseus and Irus?
7. Describe the exchange between Odysseus and the shepherd boy in Book 13. What does it show about Odysseus' nature?
8. Even though Poseidon acknowledges Odysseus's fate, he continues to punish him. Why?
9. How does Euryalus insult Odysseus when the Phaeacians are engaging in sport?
10. Odysseus tells his men about the Sirens. Why doesn't he share Circe's information and advice about Scylla and Charybdis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Penelope uses two devices that delay making a decision about marriage and manipulate the suitors. Appraise the effectiveness of each device towards her overall goal. Upon what does each rely? What does each device reveal about her potential husband? Evaluate which device was most useful for her purposes.
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate Odysseus as hero. Is he a worthy hero or is he too selfish? Use evidence from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
The word odyssey is synonymous with journey. Explain why this is an appropriate title for the poem.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)