|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 19, what does Odysseus the beggar tell Penelope has kept Odysseus away so long?
(a) He's gone to the oracle.
(b) He's been gathering treasure.
(c) He's had a difficult passage.
(d) He couldn't find a ship to bring him to Ithaca.
2. What sign does Odysseus give to his father so he believes that Odysseus has returned?
(a) He tells him about the bed in the palace.
(b) He tells him about his scar.
(c) He tells him the number and type of trees growing in the vineyard.
(d) He tells him about his mother in the underworld.
3. What gift does Helen give to Telemachus as he is preparing to leave Lacedaemon?
(a) A jewel that sparkled like a star.
(b) A beautiful embroidered robe for his future bride.
(c) The text never describes her gift.
(d) Goblets of silver to use at his wedding feast.
4. What ultimately exposes Odysseus' identity to Penelope?
(a) They have a secret code which they aggreed on before he left.
(b) He shows her the secret chamber.
(c) His bed.
(d) His scar.
5. Why is Telemachus skeptical that he and Odysseus can handle the suitors without help?
(a) Odysseus has suffered for many years and it's taken a toll on his body.
(b) Telemachus is untried in battle.
(c) There are more than 100 suitors haunting their halls.
(d) Odysseus isn't as young as he used to be.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which suitor eases Penelope's fears for her son in Book 16?
2. Which reveler refuses to give anything to Odysseus the beggar, who has come to witness his first feast?
3. For what does Penelope pray after speaking with Odysseus the beggar in Book 20?
4. Once Odysseus realizes he's in Ithaca, what does Athene advise him to do?
5. At his first feast in his own house, who throws a stool at Odysseus the beggar?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)