|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Odysseus, the old stranger, received by the swineherd in Book 14?
(a) With indifference - he's only going through the motions.
(b) With suspicion - strangers tell tall tales about Odysseus' whereabouts.
(c) With much hospitality despite his appearance.
(d) Poorly - the swineherd sets the dogs on him.
2. Which suitor has a "bad feeling" after Odysseus the beggar tries to warn him of impending danger in Book 18?
3. Which suitor scorns Odysseus the beggar at the second feast which he attends, in Book 20?
4. What ultimately exposes Odysseus' identity to Penelope?
(a) His bed.
(b) His scar.
(c) He shows her the secret chamber.
(d) They have a secret code which they aggreed on before he left.
5. What does Eupeithes seek at the assembly after the lords learn of the slaughter of the suitors?
(a) He wants revenge against Odysseus for his son, and the others lost to Odysseus.
(b) He wants recompense for his son from Odysseus.
(c) He wants the queen to be killed.
(d) He wants Odysseus to go into exile.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interprets the sign of the eagle and the goose as Telemachus and Peisistratus are leaving Lacedaemon?
2. How does Penelope initially react to Eurycleia's news about Odysseus and the suitors?
3. Where is Odysseus going in the morning in Book 23, the day after the battle with the suitors?
4. In Book 19, what does Odysseus the beggar tell Penelope has kept Odysseus away so long?
5. When Eurymachus' negotiations fail, what plan do the suitors make to escape from Odysseus' palace alive?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)