|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Odysseus is on land after his voyage from Scheria, why doesn't he know where he is?
(a) Athene has spread a cloud, obscurring him.
(b) The Phaecians brought him to another island.
(c) He is unfamiliar with this part of Ithaca.
(d) He's been gone too long.
2. How is Odysseus, the old stranger, received by the swineherd in Book 14?
(a) Poorly - the swineherd sets the dogs on him.
(b) With suspicion - strangers tell tall tales about Odysseus' whereabouts.
(c) With indifference - he's only going through the motions.
(d) With much hospitality despite his appearance.
3. Who interprets the sign of the eagle and the goose as Telemachus and Peisistratus are leaving Lacedaemon?
4. What gift does Helen give to Telemachus as he is preparing to leave Lacedaemon?
(a) A jewel that sparkled like a star.
(b) A beautiful embroidered robe for his future bride.
(c) Goblets of silver to use at his wedding feast.
(d) The text never describes her gift.
5. In Book 19, what does Odysseus the beggar tell Penelope has kept Odysseus away so long?
(a) He's been gathering treasure.
(b) He couldn't find a ship to bring him to Ithaca.
(c) He's had a difficult passage.
(d) He's gone to the oracle.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom was Eumaeus raised?
2. In Book 24, In the halls of the dead, what were the heroes' shades discussing?
3. In Book 23, now that the fight with the suitors is over, what does Odysseus tell Telemachus to do?
4. What is Penelope's reaction when she sees Odysseus for the first time after the slaughter of the suitors?
5. How does Penelope initially react to Eurycleia's news about Odysseus and the suitors?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)