|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Telemachus that it's time for him to behave like a man, not a child?
2. What does Poseidon call to disrupt Odysseus' easy passage to Phaecia?
(a) Tsunami-like waves.
(b) The Hurricanes.
(c) The Kraken.
(d) The four winds.
3. What is unique about Demodocus the bard?
(a) He can play a tune he's heard only once.
(b) He is a son of a Muse.
(c) He is blind but gifted with delightful song.
(d) He is completely deaf.
4. What does Mentes tell Telemachus in Book 1 that he must do?
(a) Go on a quest.
(b) Make Penelope decide about marriage.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) Thrust the suitors from the house.
5. In Book 11, who is first to visit Odysseus from the dead?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ino give Odysseus to save his life when he loses his raft to Poseidon?
2. What is Nausicaa's greatest concern for the trip back to her father's house from the river?
3. After his battle with Poseidon in Book 5, where does Odysseus find shelter in the land on which he has just arrived?
4. Who first notices Odysseus' clothes in Alcinous' house?
5. When captured by Menelaus, who had been stuck for 20 days, what did this being reveal to him to get his freedom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the story of Ares and Aphrodite teach?
2. What does Nestor tell Telemachus of Odysseus during Telemachus' visit in Book 3?
3. What makes Eumaeus a loyal servant and friend?
4. What causes Odysseus' crew to open Aeolus' gift?
5. According to Nestor and Menelaus, was the war worth the cost?
6. How does Euryalus insult Odysseus when the Phaeacians are engaging in sport?
7. In Book 15, why does Peisistratus let Telemachus go without seeing Nestor again? Is this wise?
8. Enumerate Telemachus' problem - why has he called the leaders of Ithaca together?
9. What does Hercules serves as a reminder for/about?
10. In Book 3, what can be learned from the story of Agamemnon's murder since the reader is seeing it a second time?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)