|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Telemachus is in Lycaedaemon, what plan do the suitors devise to punish Telemachus for leaving?
(a) To steal all his goods.
(b) To kill him on the open sea.
(c) To discredit him in Ithaca.
(d) To take Penelope away.
2. What form does Athena take to guide Odysseus to Alcinous' palace?
(a) A blind old man.
(b) A servant of the house.
(c) A young girl.
(d) A young page.
3. To whom does Odysseus pray while in the meadow awaiting the appropriate time to arrive at the palace in Book 6?
4. Who tells Telemachus that it's time for him to behave like a man, not a child?
5. In which contest in Book 8 does Odysseus first outstrip all others?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were Menelaus and his ships stuck for 20 days?
2. What does Poseidon call to disrupt Odysseus' easy passage to Phaecia?
3. When sadness grips the feasting in her hall, causing Menelaus and his visitors to cry in remembrance of friends lost in Troy, what does Helen do to the wine?
4. After leaving the lotus-eaters, what do Odysseus and his ships find in Book 9?
5. What advice does Circe give Odysseus regarding Scylla and Charybdis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship do the Phaecians have with the gods?
2. In Book 3, what can be learned from the story of Agamemnon's murder since the reader is seeing it a second time?
3. What do the suitors think of Telemachus leaving Ithaca? What are their fears?
4. Why does Odysseus tell Polyphemus his true name?
5. Which men support Telemachus at the assembly in Book 2? Why do they support him, and how are they treated by the others?
6. Explain the circumstances that lead Athene to intervene on Odysseus' behalf at the very beginning of the poem.
7. Why does Athene reveal her presence to Telemachus and Nestor in Book 3?
8. Describe Nausicaa's character.
9. Why does Telemachus lie to Antinous and Eurymachus, telling them Odysseus is dead?
10. Describe Poseidon's attack on Odysseus in Book 5.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)