|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What form does Athena take to guide Odysseus to Alcinous' palace?
(a) A young girl.
(b) A blind old man.
(c) A servant of the house.
(d) A young page.
2. How does Eurylochus convince Odysseus to land on Thrinacia?
(a) They might not see land for days.
(b) His men are tired and hungry. They need a break from the sea.
(c) Odysseus is out of touch with his crew.
(d) Odysseus is reckless and has lost a lot of crew. They don't trust what he says.
3. Calypso gives Odysseus many things to help him on his way including supplies for making his ship, provisions for his journey, and a(n) _____________.
(b) Enchanted sail.
(c) Gentle breeze.
4. To whom does Odysseus pray while in the meadow awaiting the appropriate time to arrive at the palace in Book 6?
5. Where does Calypso find Odysseus to tell him the news of his ordered release in Book 5?
(a) He's in her grotto asleep.
(b) He's out in the forest building a hut.
(c) He's crying on the beach.
(d) He's swimming.
Short Answer Questions
1. Floating with the aid of Ino and safe from Poseidon in Book 5, how does Odysseus make it to dry land when he first sees it?
2. Odysseus and his men have just landed on an island after the lotus-eaters. Why does Odysseus leave this place the next morning?
3. What does Menelaus first reveal regarding Odysseus when Telemachus tells Menelaus who he is and the purpose of his visit?
4. What does Circe turn Odysseus' crew into in Book 10?
5. How long have the suitors been coming to Odysseus' home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Odysseus' journey end when he slays the suitors and gets his vengeance in Book 11?
2. According to Nestor and Menelaus, was the war worth the cost?
3. Describe Poseidon's attack on Odysseus in Book 5.
4. Why does Odysseus tell Polyphemus his true name?
5. In Book 3, what can be learned from the story of Agamemnon's murder since the reader is seeing it a second time?
6. Describe the exchange between Odysseus and the shepherd boy in Book 13. What does it show about Odysseus' nature?
7. What does Eumaeus think will happen to the old man if he approaches the suitors for work? Why?
8. Why is Eurymachus' offer of recompense not enough for Odysseus?
9. Why does Telemachus take advice from Mentes, a relative stranger to him, in Book 1?
10. What is similar to Odysseus' real plight in his fictional tale to Eumaeus in Book 14?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)