|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a result of the meeting of the assembly in Book 2, what do the suitors decide to do?
(a) Continue behaving as they have been.
(b) It's time to give something back to Telemachus and his estate.
(c) It's time to go home.
(d) To court other women, too.
2. Athene instructs Nestor to help Telemachus on the next leg of his journey. What does he supply?
(a) Nestor gives Telemachus another ship and one of his sons.
(b) Nestor gives Telemachus supplies and a guide.
(c) Nestor gives Telemachus horses and one of his sons.
(d) Nestor gives Telemachus treasure, a map and one of his sons.
3. During this assembly, who does Antinous blame for Telemachus' problem?
(b) The gods.
4. While making announcements after Mentes' visit in Book 1, what else does Telemachus tell the suitors of his hall?
(a) They can stay as long as they like.
(b) He will be King of Ithaca.
(c) Odysseus is alive, and he's going to find him.
(d) Odysseus is dead.
5. How does Athene reveal herself to the men gathered at Nestor's palace?
(a) She transforms into a heifer before their eyes.
(b) She transforms into a horse before their eyes.
(c) She transforms into mist before their eyes.
(d) She transforms into an osprey before their eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nestor doing when Telemachus arrives in Pylos?
2. How did Odysseus appear after his bath in Book 6?
3. Why does Odysseus have to go to Hades in Book 10?
4. To which goddess does Odysseus compare Nausicaa in Book 6?
5. What does Aeolus give Odysseus in Book 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Athene reveal her presence to Telemachus and Nestor in Book 3?
2. According to Nestor and Menelaus, was the war worth the cost?
3. Which men support Telemachus at the assembly in Book 2? Why do they support him, and how are they treated by the others?
4. Does Nausicaa act properly towards Odysseus when giving aid in Book 6?
5. In what ways does Odysseus reveal his crafty mind in his encounter with the cyclops?
6. Odysseus tells his men about the Sirens. Why doesn't he share Circe's information and advice about Scylla and Charybdis?
7. What are the suitors' fears now that Telemachus has escaped their plot in Book 16?
8. Why does Athene want to cause Odysseus suffering and pain when she prods the suitors to abuse him in his own house in Book 18?
9. What does Nestor tell Telemachus of Odysseus during Telemachus' visit in Book 3?
10. Why does Odysseus reveal himself to Eumaeus and Philoetius?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)