|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of Demodocus' first song at Alcinous' feast in Book 8?
(a) The famous quarrel between Odysseus and Achilles.
(b) The deeds and misdeeds of the gods.
(c) The tragic end of Agamemnon.
(d) The end of the Trojan war.
2. In Book 3, Nestor pledges to sacrifice a gold-tipped _______________ in Athene's honor.
3. Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Menelaus tell?
(a) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit for gaining access and intelligence of Troy in the first place.
(b) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit for keeping the men still and quiet inside the horse.
(c) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit for contriving of the horse
(d) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit forbuilding the horse so they wouldn't be detected.
4. According to Nestor, who wanted the Achaeans to suffer on the way home from Troy?
5. What does Aeolus give Odysseus in Book 10?
(a) A warning.
(b) A sack holding the winds.
(c) A talent of gold.
(d) A nine year ox.
Short Answer Questions
1. Telemachus is overrun with ________, who sponge off of him and his estate, making no amends.
2. Penelope learns about the suitors' plan for Telemachus from a page, but what does she learn from her sister's phantom?
3. How did Odysseus anger the god(dess) who seeks to punish him in Book 1?
4. What does Telemachus seek from the assembly above all?
5. How many youths are chosen for the black ship that Alcinous will provide Odysseus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Odysseus' journey end when he slays the suitors and gets his vengeance in Book 11?
2. Describe the exchange between Odysseus and the shepherd boy in Book 13. What does it show about Odysseus' nature?
3. How does Telemachus assert himself to his mother during the trial of the bow?
4. What does Nestor tell Telemachus of Odysseus during Telemachus' visit in Book 3?
5. In what ways was Odysseus' naming prophetic?
6. In what ways does Odysseus reveal his crafty mind in his encounter with the cyclops?
7. What is interesting in Penelope's appearance to the suitors after the boxing match between Odysseus and Irus?
8. Why is Poseidon still upset with Odysseus in Book 13? Why does he now seek vengeance against the Phaecians? What can they do?
9. In Book 15, why does Peisistratus let Telemachus go without seeing Nestor again? Is this wise?
10. Which men support Telemachus at the assembly in Book 2? Why do they support him, and how are they treated by the others?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)