|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word best describes Odysseus' initial reaction when Calypso offers to help him in Book 5?
2. According to Nestor, who wanted the Achaeans to suffer on the way home from Troy?
3. What does Telemachus seek from the assembly above all?
4. Where is Poseidon coming from when he sees Odysseus on his raft in Book 5?
(b) Mt. Olympus.
5. Odysseus and his men have just landed on an island after the lotus-eaters. Why does Odysseus leave this place the next morning?
(a) He wants to please Zeus since they've angered him.
(b) He wants to hurry home because he has a bad feeling.
(c) He wants to investigate another island from which smoke can be seen.
(d) He wants to gather more treasure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is special about the cattle and flocks of the Sun?
2. When sadness grips the feasting in her hall, causing Menelaus and his visitors to cry in remembrance of friends lost in Troy, what does Helen do to the wine?
3. Which of his six remaining sons does Nestor send with Telemachus in Book 3?
4. According to Nausicaa, to whom should Odysseus first appeal when he gets to the court in Book 6?
5. Who first notices Odysseus' clothes in Alcinous' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which men support Telemachus at the assembly in Book 2? Why do they support him, and how are they treated by the others?
2. What relationship do the Phaecians have with the gods?
3. Describe the suitors' reaction to Telemachus calling a meeting of the assembly in Book 1.
4. What makes Eumaeus a loyal servant and friend?
5. Why is Eurymachus' offer of recompense not enough for Odysseus?
6. What causes Odysseus' crew to open Aeolus' gift?
7. What do the suitors think of Telemachus leaving Ithaca? What are their fears?
8. Why does Athene reveal her presence to Telemachus and Nestor in Book 3?
9. Describe the behavior of the suitors at the assembly in Book 2.
10. How does Euryalus insult Odysseus when the Phaeacians are engaging in sport?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)