|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gets Telemachus' supplies of wine and barley for his quest?
2. How does the Cyclops in Book 9 show hospitality?
(a) He offers them food and wine.
(b) He offers them food, wine, and a place to sleep.
(c) He dashes two men's brains out and eats them.
(d) He gives them the stranger's gift.
3. In Book 7, why does Athena cloak Odysseus in clouds on his walk to the palace?
(a) Phaecians don't like strangers.
(b) Phaecians are so friendly that he might be offered hospitality before he reaches Alcinous' palace.
(c) She doesn't want her uncle, Poseidon, to see that Odysseus has landed safely.
(d) She doesn't want Odysseus to get distracted.
4. Athene instructs Nestor to help Telemachus on the next leg of his journey. What does he supply?
(a) Nestor gives Telemachus another ship and one of his sons.
(b) Nestor gives Telemachus treasure, a map and one of his sons.
(c) Nestor gives Telemachus supplies and a guide.
(d) Nestor gives Telemachus horses and one of his sons.
5. Who led the group which wanted to leave Troy immediately after the war?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of Demodocus' first song at Alcinous' feast in Book 8?
2. In whose grove of poplar trees is Odysseus told to wait before approaching the palace in Book 6?
3. What does Poseidon call to disrupt Odysseus' easy passage to Phaecia?
4. Floating with the aid of Ino and safe from Poseidon in Book 5, how does Odysseus make it to dry land when he first sees it?
5. How did Odysseus appear after his bath in Book 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the suitors think of Telemachus leaving Ithaca? What are their fears?
2. What causes Odysseus' crew to open Aeolus' gift?
3. What does Eumaeus think will happen to the old man if he approaches the suitors for work? Why?
4. How does Euryalus insult Odysseus when the Phaeacians are engaging in sport?
5. Explain Odysseus' reaction to Calypso and Ino's help in Book 5.
6. Even though Poseidon acknowledges Odysseus's fate, he continues to punish him. Why?
7. In what ways does Odysseus reveal his crafty mind in his encounter with the cyclops?
8. Why does Athene want to cause Odysseus suffering and pain when she prods the suitors to abuse him in his own house in Book 18?
9. Describe the behavior of the suitors at the assembly in Book 2.
10. Which men support Telemachus at the assembly in Book 2? Why do they support him, and how are they treated by the others?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)