|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Menelaus first reveal regarding Odysseus when Telemachus tells Menelaus who he is and the purpose of his visit?
(a) Odysseus is not worth anyone's tears.
(b) Odysseus' problems are his own.
(c) Telemachus looks nothing like his father.
(d) He would have given Odysseus a city upon his return from Troy.
2. Athene instructs Nestor to help Telemachus on the next leg of his journey. What does he supply?
(a) Nestor gives Telemachus supplies and a guide.
(b) Nestor gives Telemachus treasure, a map and one of his sons.
(c) Nestor gives Telemachus horses and one of his sons.
(d) Nestor gives Telemachus another ship and one of his sons.
3. Where is Odysseus at the beginning of the poem?
4. In Book 7, why does Athena cloak Odysseus in clouds on his walk to the palace?
(a) She doesn't want Odysseus to get distracted.
(b) She doesn't want her uncle, Poseidon, to see that Odysseus has landed safely.
(c) Phaecians don't like strangers.
(d) Phaecians are so friendly that he might be offered hospitality before he reaches Alcinous' palace.
5. How many youths are chosen for the black ship that Alcinous will provide Odysseus?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Odysseus and Ajax fight?
2. In addition to offering advice, what else does Mentes from Taphos give to Telemachus?
3. How does the Cyclops in Book 9 show hospitality?
4. Having left Ogygia and survived Poseidon's attack, what is Odysseus' new problem, now that he spots land?
5. What is unique about Demodocus the bard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Odysseus' reaction to Calypso and Ino's help in Book 5.
2. Why do the rest of the men (aside from the suitors) gathered at the assembly fail to speak or act in Book 2?
3. What do the suitors think of Telemachus leaving Ithaca? What are their fears?
4. Why does Athene want to cause Odysseus suffering and pain when she prods the suitors to abuse him in his own house in Book 18?
5. Why does Odysseus reveal himself to Eumaeus and Philoetius?
6. Does Nausicaa act properly towards Odysseus when giving aid in Book 6?
7. Why does Telemachus lie to Antinous and Eurymachus, telling them Odysseus is dead?
8. Describe Odysseus' bed.
9. Describe Eurylochus' actions in Book 12. What kind of man is he?
10. Describe Nausicaa's character.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)