|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is happening in Lacedaemon when Telemachus arrives?
(a) Menelaus is holding a funeral rite for his brother.
(b) Menelaus and his household are holding a feast in honor of the gods.
(c) Menelaus is celebrating the marriage of his daughter.
(d) Menelaus is celebrating a double marriage.
2. By what type of people did the Phaecians once live?
3. Calypso gives Odysseus many things to help him on his way including supplies for making his ship, provisions for his journey, and a(n) _____________.
(c) Enchanted sail.
(d) Gentle breeze.
4. How many men does Odysseus lose to the Cyclops?
5. As a result of the meeting of the assembly in Book 2, what do the suitors decide to do?
(a) It's time to go home.
(b) It's time to give something back to Telemachus and his estate.
(c) To court other women, too.
(d) Continue behaving as they have been.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Odysseus at the beginning of the poem?
2. What is special about the cattle and flocks of the Sun?
3. Where did Nestor last see Odysseus?
4. What is the purpose of Telemachus' quest?
5. During this assembly, who does Antinous blame for Telemachus' problem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nestor, King of Pylos.
2. Even though Poseidon acknowledges Odysseus's fate, he continues to punish him. Why?
3. Why does Circe help Odysseus in Book 10?
4. In what ways was Odysseus' naming prophetic?
5. Which men support Telemachus at the assembly in Book 2? Why do they support him, and how are they treated by the others?
6. Why does Athene want to cause Odysseus suffering and pain when she prods the suitors to abuse him in his own house in Book 18?
7. How does a naked Odysseus ask for help among Nausicaa and the maids?
8. What does Hercules serves as a reminder for/about?
9. What are the suitors' fears now that Telemachus has escaped their plot in Book 16?
10. In Book 17, what more is discovered about Antinous through his actions towards the beggars?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)