|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Odysseus pray while in the meadow awaiting the appropriate time to arrive at the palace in Book 6?
2. How does the Cyclops in Book 9 show hospitality?
(a) He offers them food, wine, and a place to sleep.
(b) He dashes two men's brains out and eats them.
(c) He gives them the stranger's gift.
(d) He offers them food and wine.
3. What does Telemachus seek from the assembly above all?
4. In Book 3, Nestor pledges to sacrifice a gold-tipped _______________ in Athene's honor.
5. Which of his six remaining sons does Nestor send with Telemachus in Book 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Nausicaa, to whom should Odysseus first appeal when he gets to the court in Book 6?
2. Who led the group which wanted to leave Troy immediately after the war?
3. Who gets Telemachus' supplies of wine and barley for his quest?
4. What does Menelaus give to Telemachus when Telemachus politely refuses his other gifts?
5. What is the subject of Demodocus' first song at Alcinous' feast in Book 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book 3, what can be learned from the story of Agamemnon's murder since the reader is seeing it a second time?
2. Odysseus tells his men about the Sirens. Why doesn't he share Circe's information and advice about Scylla and Charybdis?
3. In Book 23, Telemachus calls his mother's reaction to Odysseus cold and unfeeling. What does it reveal about her character?
4. Describe the suitors' reaction to Telemachus calling a meeting of the assembly in Book 1.
5. What is interesting in Penelope's appearance to the suitors after the boxing match between Odysseus and Irus?
6. Explain the circumstances that lead Athene to intervene on Odysseus' behalf at the very beginning of the poem.
7. Why does Circe help Odysseus in Book 10?
8. Why doesn't Odysseus' journey end when he slays the suitors and gets his vengeance in Book 11?
9. In Book 20, what has happened to Telemachus now that Odysseus has returned?
10. Is the punishment of the slave maids in Book 22 just and reasonable?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)