|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Menelaus tell?
(a) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit for contriving of the horse
(b) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit forbuilding the horse so they wouldn't be detected.
(c) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit for keeping the men still and quiet inside the horse.
(d) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit for gaining access and intelligence of Troy in the first place.
2. Why does Athena speak to Nausicaa in her dreams?
(a) She wants Nausicaa to prepare for her upcoming marriage.
(b) She wants Nausicaa to discover Odysseus.
(c) She wants others to know that Nausicaa has a connection with the immortals.
(d) She wants to tell Nausicaa that she hasn't been a good daughter or sister since she hasn't washed the clothes.
3. After his battle with Poseidon in Book 5, where does Odysseus find shelter in the land on which he has just arrived?
(a) He goes into the woods and finds a couple of shrubs to provide shelter and comfort.
(b) He creates a makeshift shelter with nearby debris.
(c) A man approaches and shows him a place used by hunters.
(d) He decides to go into the hills to find a cave.
4. Why doesn't Aeolus help Odysseus again?
(a) Odysseus squandered his gift.
(b) Odysseus is destested by the immortals.
(c) Aeolus cannot give the same gift twice.
(d) Odysseus's crew is disobedient.
5. Telemachus is overrun with ________, who sponge off of him and his estate, making no amends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which god(dess) visits Telemachus at the beginning of the poem?
2. Floating with the aid of Ino and safe from Poseidon in Book 5, how does Odysseus make it to dry land when he first sees it?
3. Where did Nestor last see Odysseus?
4. Who speaks up in Book 7 to ask that Odysseus be given a seat in the court of Alcinous since he has come as a supplicant?
5. Where does Calypso find Odysseus to tell him the news of his ordered release in Book 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Odysseus' bed.
2. Describe the exchange between Odysseus and the shepherd boy in Book 13. What does it show about Odysseus' nature?
3. What makes Eumaeus a loyal servant and friend?
4. What does Hercules serves as a reminder for/about?
5. Is the ending satisfying to readers? Why or why not?
6. In Book 15, why does Peisistratus let Telemachus go without seeing Nestor again? Is this wise?
7. Why does Athene want to cause Odysseus suffering and pain when she prods the suitors to abuse him in his own house in Book 18?
8. What does Nestor tell Telemachus of Odysseus during Telemachus' visit in Book 3?
9. What does Eumaeus think will happen to the old man if he approaches the suitors for work? Why?
10. Why does Athene reveal her presence to Telemachus and Nestor in Book 3?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)