|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Cyclops in Book 9 show hospitality?
(a) He gives them the stranger's gift.
(b) He offers them food and wine.
(c) He dashes two men's brains out and eats them.
(d) He offers them food, wine, and a place to sleep.
2. In what state do the Nausicaa's women, who are playing a game while waiting for the clothes to dry, find the sheltering Odysseus?
(a) He is wearing Ino's veil.
(b) He is completely naked.
(c) He is wearing the clothes that Calypso gave him, but they're a little ragged.
(d) He is covered in the sail from his raft.
3. Floating with the aid of Ino and safe from Poseidon in Book 5, how does Odysseus make it to dry land when he first sees it?
(a) He swims until he finds a harbor.
(b) He swims until he finds a beach.
(c) He swims until he finds a boat.
(d) He swims until he finds a river.
4. How did Odysseus appear after his bath in Book 6?
(a) Athena made him look like a hero.
(b) Athena made him look natural.
(c) Athena made him look younger.
(d) Athena made him look taller and stouter.
5. What form does Athena take to guide Odysseus to Alcinous' palace?
(a) A young page.
(b) A young girl.
(c) A blind old man.
(d) A servant of the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reads the sign given while Telemachus calls upon Zeus in Book 2?
2. In addition to offering advice, what else does Mentes from Taphos give to Telemachus?
3. In Book 5, who orders Odysseus' release from Calypso?
4. Where does Telemachus stay when Nestor's feast is over?
5. In whose grove of poplar trees is Odysseus told to wait before approaching the palace in Book 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Calypso feel about releasing Odysseus?
2. How does a naked Odysseus ask for help among Nausicaa and the maids?
3. What makes Eumaeus a loyal servant and friend?
4. Describe Nausicaa's character.
5. What does the story of Ares and Aphrodite teach?
6. Explain Odysseus' reaction to Calypso and Ino's help in Book 5.
7. In Book 23, Telemachus calls his mother's reaction to Odysseus cold and unfeeling. What does it reveal about her character?
8. Recount the most recent part of Odysseus' story of woe, as told in Book 7.
9. According to Nestor and Menelaus, was the war worth the cost?
10. In Book 3, what can be learned from the story of Agamemnon's murder since the reader is seeing it a second time?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)