|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Athene reveal herself to the men gathered at Nestor's palace?
(a) She transforms into a horse before their eyes.
(b) She transforms into a heifer before their eyes.
(c) She transforms into mist before their eyes.
(d) She transforms into an osprey before their eyes.
2. How did Odysseus anger the god(dess) who seeks to punish him in Book 1?
(a) He slaughtered some horses.
(b) He failed to make a proper sacrifice.
(c) He killed his own crew.
(d) He poked a cyclops' eye out.
3. Telemachus is overrun with ________, who sponge off of him and his estate, making no amends.
4. What is happening in Lacedaemon when Telemachus arrives?
(a) Menelaus is celebrating the marriage of his daughter.
(b) Menelaus and his household are holding a feast in honor of the gods.
(c) Menelaus is holding a funeral rite for his brother.
(d) Menelaus is celebrating a double marriage.
5. Who killed Aegisthus for the murder of Agamemnon?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why, despite taking an oath, does Odysseus' crew slay some cattle of the Sun?
2. When does the magic cloud disperse from Odysseus?
3. In Book 11, who is first to visit Odysseus from the dead?
4. What does Aeolus give Odysseus in Book 10?
5. What advice does Circe give Odysseus regarding Scylla and Charybdis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Odysseus tell Polyphemus his true name?
2. Describe Eurylochus' actions in Book 12. What kind of man is he?
3. Is the ending satisfying to readers? Why or why not?
4. Why does Athene want to cause Odysseus suffering and pain when she prods the suitors to abuse him in his own house in Book 18?
5. What does Hercules serves as a reminder for/about?
6. What makes Eumaeus a loyal servant and friend?
7. Describe the suitors' reaction to Telemachus calling a meeting of the assembly in Book 1.
8. Why does Telemachus take advice from Mentes, a relative stranger to him, in Book 1?
9. Why does Homer begin the last book in the halls of the dead?
10. Is it necessary for Odysseus to threaten Eurycleia when she recognizes him?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)