|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the magic cloud disperse from Odysseus?
(a) While he stares at the abundant garden.
(b) Before he gets to the castle.
(c) When he throws his arms around Arete's knees.
(d) When he enters the castle.
2. How long do Odysseus and his men stay with Circe in Book 10?
(a) One week.
(b) One year.
(c) One season.
(d) One month.
3. What sign is witnessed by the entire assembly when Telemachus calls upon Zeus for justice in Book 2?
(a) Flames burst out in the center of the meeting.
(b) Lightning strikes a tree.
(c) Two eagles fly overhead.
(d) A woman screams and wails.
4. Why were Menelaus and his ships stuck for 20 days?
(a) No winds stirred.
(b) He wanted to acquire more treasure.
(c) He was disoriented.
(d) He failed to make a proper sacrifice.
5. Why did Odysseus and Ajax fight?
(a) It was a sporting contest.
(b) It was for honor after they insulted each other.
(c) It was for the gods' amusement.
(d) It was contest to win Achilles' armor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long have the suitors been coming to Odysseus' home?
2. According to Halitherses in Book 2, how long will Odysseus be gone before he returns to his friends and family?
3. Why, despite taking an oath, does Odysseus' crew slay some cattle of the Sun?
4. In which contest in Book 8 does Odysseus first outstrip all others?
5. According to Book 4, who did Menelaus capture?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Athene reveal her presence to Telemachus and Nestor in Book 3?
2. Why does Telemachus lie to Antinous and Eurymachus, telling them Odysseus is dead?
3. What is similar to Odysseus' real plight in his fictional tale to Eumaeus in Book 14?
4. Describe the behavior of the suitors at the assembly in Book 2.
5. What kind of hospitality does Telemachus offer the old man in Book 16?
6. What is interesting in Penelope's appearance to the suitors after the boxing match between Odysseus and Irus?
7. Why is Poseidon still upset with Odysseus in Book 13? Why does he now seek vengeance against the Phaecians? What can they do?
8. Why does Odysseus tell Polyphemus his true name?
9. Even though Poseidon acknowledges Odysseus's fate, he continues to punish him. Why?
10. In Book 20, why does Athene make the suitors laugh uncontrollably?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)