|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Menelaus give to Telemachus when Telemachus politely refuses his other gifts?
(a) A polished car.
(b) Soldiers with which to vanquish the suitors.
(c) A well-wrought silver bowl.
(d) A goodly cup.
2. By what type of people did the Phaecians once live?
3. How did Odysseus anger the god(dess) who seeks to punish him in Book 1?
(a) He slaughtered some horses.
(b) He poked a cyclops' eye out.
(c) He failed to make a proper sacrifice.
(d) He killed his own crew.
4. Who gets Telemachus' supplies of wine and barley for his quest?
5. Who went disguised as a page in Book 8 throughout the town, encouraging people to hear about the stranger?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of Telemachus' quest?
2. What is the subject of Demodocus' first song at Alcinous' feast in Book 8?
3. How many times has the meeting of the assembly occurred since Odysseus left?
4. How did Odysseus appear after his bath in Book 6?
5. According to Nestor, who wanted the Achaeans to suffer on the way home from Troy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eumaeus think will happen to the old man if he approaches the suitors for work? Why?
2. Is the punishment of the slave maids in Book 22 just and reasonable?
3. Why does Circe help Odysseus in Book 10?
4. Enumerate Telemachus' problem - why has he called the leaders of Ithaca together?
5. Describe Nausicaa's character.
6. In what ways does Odysseus reveal his crafty mind in his encounter with the cyclops?
7. In Book 23, Telemachus calls his mother's reaction to Odysseus cold and unfeeling. What does it reveal about her character?
8. According to Nestor and Menelaus, was the war worth the cost?
9. What is similar to Odysseus' real plight in his fictional tale to Eumaeus in Book 14?
10. What relationship do the Phaecians have with the gods?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)