|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What skill are Phaecian men skilled beyond others?
2. What does the first spirit to visit Odysseus in Hades ask him to do?
(a) Go back to Aeaea and observe his funeral rites.
(b) Kill one of his men because the gods detest him.
(c) Make more sacrifices at each place he stops.
(d) Take care of his father, Laertes.
3. In Book 7, why does Athena cloak Odysseus in clouds on his walk to the palace?
(a) Phaecians don't like strangers.
(b) Phaecians are so friendly that he might be offered hospitality before he reaches Alcinous' palace.
(c) She doesn't want her uncle, Poseidon, to see that Odysseus has landed safely.
(d) She doesn't want Odysseus to get distracted.
4. What does Circe turn Odysseus' crew into in Book 10?
5. What form does Athena take to guide Odysseus to Alcinous' palace?
(a) A blind old man.
(b) A servant of the house.
(c) A young girl.
(d) A young page.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Telemachus stay when Nestor's feast is over?
2. How does Eurylochus react when Odysseus tells his crew to follow him to Circe's house?
3. To whom does Odysseus pray while in the meadow awaiting the appropriate time to arrive at the palace in Book 6?
4. Who helps Telemachus procure a ship and crew to begin his quest?
5. According to Nausicaa, to whom should Odysseus first appeal when he gets to the court in Book 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Telemachus take advice from Mentes, a relative stranger to him, in Book 1?
2. According to Nestor and Menelaus, was the war worth the cost?
3. In what ways was Odysseus' naming prophetic?
4. In Book 20, what has happened to Telemachus now that Odysseus has returned?
5. Describe the exchange between Odysseus and the shepherd boy in Book 13. What does it show about Odysseus' nature?
6. Describe the behavior of the suitors at the assembly in Book 2.
7. How does Euryalus insult Odysseus when the Phaeacians are engaging in sport?
8. In what ways does Odysseus reveal his crafty mind in his encounter with the cyclops?
9. How is Odysseus discovered by the maids of Phaecia?
10. Describe Poseidon's attack on Odysseus in Book 5.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)