|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Odysseus receive from the thirteen kings of Phaecia?
(a) A chest of gold and a chest of silver.
(b) A spotless robe and tunic and a talent of gold.
(c) A chest of gold each, and a well-wrought libations cup.
(d) A slave and a chest of gold.
2. What does Aeolus give Odysseus in Book 10?
(a) A talent of gold.
(b) A nine year ox.
(c) A sack holding the winds.
(d) A warning.
3. According to Nausicaa, to whom should Odysseus first appeal when he gets to the court in Book 6?
(a) Nausicaa's oldest brother.
(b) Nausicaa's father.
(c) Nausicaa's mother.
(d) One of the servants.
4. What is Nestor doing when Telemachus arrives in Pylos?
(a) He is holding a feast in honor of Poseidon.
(b) He is holding a feast in honor of Hermes.
(c) He is holding a feast in honor of Athene.
(d) He is holding a feast in honor of Zeus.
5. In Book 4, Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Helen tell?
(a) The day Odysseus took her maid as a hostage to flee Troy.
(b) The day Odysseus brought her from Priam's house.
(c) The day Odysseus built the Trojan horse.
(d) The day Odysseus got into the city in a beggar's disguise without suspicion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nestor tell Telemachus about his relationship with Odysseus?
2. How many days does it take Odysseus to make his preparations and finally leave Ogygia?
3. According to Halitherses in Book 2, how long will Odysseus be gone before he returns to his friends and family?
4. Where is Telemachus going during this journey?
5. What does Mentes tell Telemachus in Book 1 that he must do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the punishment of the slave maids in Book 22 just and reasonable?
2. How does Telemachus assert himself to his mother during the trial of the bow?
3. Describe the exchange between Odysseus and the shepherd boy in Book 13. What does it show about Odysseus' nature?
4. Odysseus tells his men about the Sirens. Why doesn't he share Circe's information and advice about Scylla and Charybdis?
5. Describe Nestor, King of Pylos.
6. In Book 17, why does Telemachus sit amongst Odysseus' old friends when he returns home?
7. In what ways does Odysseus reveal his crafty mind in his encounter with the cyclops?
8. What are the suitors' fears now that Telemachus has escaped their plot in Book 16?
9. In Book 3, what can be learned from the story of Agamemnon's murder since the reader is seeing it a second time?
10. Why is Poseidon still upset with Odysseus in Book 13? Why does he now seek vengeance against the Phaecians? What can they do?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)