|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who first notices Odysseus' clothes in Alcinous' house?
2. What does Mentes tell Telemachus in Book 1 that he must do?
(a) Go on a quest.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Thrust the suitors from the house.
(d) Make Penelope decide about marriage.
3. Who tells Telemachus that it's time for him to behave like a man, not a child?
4. What is Nausicaa's greatest concern for the trip back to her father's house from the river?
(a) She's worried that Odysseus isn't strong enough to make it.
(b) She's worried about her reputation.
(c) She's worried that Odysseus will act immodestly, causing her shame.
(d) She's worried that Odysseus will get lost.
5. Floating with the aid of Ino and safe from Poseidon in Book 5, how does Odysseus make it to dry land when he first sees it?
(a) He swims until he finds a river.
(b) He swims until he finds a harbor.
(c) He swims until he finds a boat.
(d) He swims until he finds a beach.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reads the sign given while Telemachus calls upon Zeus in Book 2?
2. Which of his six remaining sons does Nestor send with Telemachus in Book 3?
3. What advice does Agamemnon give to Odysseus regarding women in Book 11?
4. Where is Odysseus at the beginning of the poem?
5. By what type of people did the Phaecians once live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the ending satisfying to readers? Why or why not?
2. Explain Odysseus' reaction to Calypso and Ino's help in Book 5.
3. Why does Circe help Odysseus in Book 10?
4. How does Telemachus assert himself to his mother during the trial of the bow?
5. Why do the rest of the men (aside from the suitors) gathered at the assembly fail to speak or act in Book 2?
6. Even though Poseidon acknowledges Odysseus's fate, he continues to punish him. Why?
7. What do the suitors think of Telemachus leaving Ithaca? What are their fears?
8. What are the suitors' fears now that Telemachus has escaped their plot in Book 16?
9. Why does Telemachus lie to Antinous and Eurymachus, telling them Odysseus is dead?
10. Does Nausicaa act properly towards Odysseus when giving aid in Book 6?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)