|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nestor tell Telemachus about his relationship with Odysseus?
(a) They never spoke those nine years at war.
(b) They never fought side by side during the war.
(c) They never differed at council during the war.
(d) They never agreed at council during the war.
2. What sign is witnessed by the entire assembly when Telemachus calls upon Zeus for justice in Book 2?
(a) Lightning strikes a tree.
(b) Flames burst out in the center of the meeting.
(c) Two eagles fly overhead.
(d) A woman screams and wails.
3. Telemachus is overrun with ________, who sponge off of him and his estate, making no amends.
4. Where did Nestor last see Odysseus?
5. According to Nestor, who wanted the Achaeans to suffer on the way home from Troy?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 4, Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Helen tell?
2. After his battle with Poseidon in Book 5, where does Odysseus find shelter in the land on which he has just arrived?
3. Which god(dess) visits Telemachus at the beginning of the poem?
4. Who speaks up in Book 7 to ask that Odysseus be given a seat in the court of Alcinous since he has come as a supplicant?
5. In order to tell Telemachus of Odysseus' fate, where does Menelaus' tale begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book 20, what has happened to Telemachus now that Odysseus has returned?
2. Why does Menelaus mourn so much for Odysseus?
3. Is it necessary for Odysseus to threaten Eurycleia when she recognizes him?
4. Even though Poseidon acknowledges Odysseus's fate, he continues to punish him. Why?
5. Describe Poseidon's attack on Odysseus in Book 5.
6. Why do the rest of the men (aside from the suitors) gathered at the assembly fail to speak or act in Book 2?
7. How does Euryalus insult Odysseus when the Phaeacians are engaging in sport?
8. What are the suitors' fears now that Telemachus has escaped their plot in Book 16?
9. What does the story of Ares and Aphrodite teach?
10. According to Nestor and Menelaus, was the war worth the cost?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)