|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 3, Nestor pledges to sacrifice a gold-tipped _______________ in Athene's honor.
2. What does Nestor tell Telemachus about his relationship with Odysseus?
(a) They never differed at council during the war.
(b) They never fought side by side during the war.
(c) They never spoke those nine years at war.
(d) They never agreed at council during the war.
3. What is Nausicaa's greatest concern for the trip back to her father's house from the river?
(a) She's worried about her reputation.
(b) She's worried that Odysseus isn't strong enough to make it.
(c) She's worried that Odysseus will act immodestly, causing her shame.
(d) She's worried that Odysseus will get lost.
4. What sign is witnessed by the entire assembly when Telemachus calls upon Zeus for justice in Book 2?
(a) Lightning strikes a tree.
(b) Two eagles fly overhead.
(c) Flames burst out in the center of the meeting.
(d) A woman screams and wails.
5. Why does Odysseus have to go to Hades in Book 10?
(a) He must see Hades and Persephone to ask for help.
(b) It's the gateway home.
(c) He must see the fallen heroes to ask for advice.
(d) To see Teiresias who will tell him how to get home.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 5, who orders Odysseus' release from Calypso?
2. In Chapter 12, with his ship destroyed, Odysseus drifts until he reaches _____________.
3. When does the magic cloud disperse from Odysseus?
4. Odysseus and his men have just landed on an island after the lotus-eaters. Why does Odysseus leave this place the next morning?
5. Why, despite taking an oath, does Odysseus' crew slay some cattle of the Sun?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the suitors think of Telemachus leaving Ithaca? What are their fears?
2. What relationship do the Phaecians have with the gods?
3. What is similar to Odysseus' real plight in his fictional tale to Eumaeus in Book 14?
4. In what ways was Odysseus' naming prophetic?
5. Why does Menelaus mourn so much for Odysseus?
6. Explain Odysseus' reaction to Calypso and Ino's help in Book 5.
7. Why does Athene reveal her presence to Telemachus and Nestor in Book 3?
8. What does the story of Ares and Aphrodite teach?
9. Describe the exchange between Odysseus and the shepherd boy in Book 13. What does it show about Odysseus' nature?
10. Why does Circe help Odysseus in Book 10?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)