|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Telemachus stay when Nestor's feast is over?
(a) Beneath the portico at Nestor's house.
(b) In the woods near Nestor's house.
(c) With his men aboard the ship.
(d) In Nestor's garden.
2. Which god(dess) visits Telemachus at the beginning of the poem?
3. In Book 5, who orders Odysseus' release from Calypso?
4. As Odysseus and his men push away from the Cyclops island, what does Odysseus do?
(a) He spurs his crew to go faster.
(b) He taunts Polyphemus.
(c) He mourns the loss of his crewmen.
(d) He prays to the gods for deliverance.
5. How does Penelope keep from marrying one of the suitors?
(a) She uses cunning and craft.
(b) She practices prophecy and witchcraft.
(c) She employs piety and sacrifice.
(d) She uses sickness and excuses.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Odysseus pray while in the meadow awaiting the appropriate time to arrive at the palace in Book 6?
2. While Telemachus is in Lycaedaemon, what plan do the suitors devise to punish Telemachus for leaving?
3. How long do Odysseus and his men stay with Circe in Book 10?
4. Penelope learns about the suitors' plan for Telemachus from a page, but what does she learn from her sister's phantom?
5. What color yarn does Nausicaa's mother spin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Odysseus' bed.
2. How does Telemachus assert himself to his mother during the trial of the bow?
3. Why is Poseidon still upset with Odysseus in Book 13? Why does he now seek vengeance against the Phaecians? What can they do?
4. Describe Poseidon's attack on Odysseus in Book 5.
5. In Book 20, what has happened to Telemachus now that Odysseus has returned?
6. Why is Eurymachus' offer of recompense not enough for Odysseus?
7. Describe the exchange between Odysseus and the shepherd boy in Book 13. What does it show about Odysseus' nature?
8. Even though Poseidon acknowledges Odysseus's fate, he continues to punish him. Why?
9. Why does Menelaus mourn so much for Odysseus?
10. What does Hercules serves as a reminder for/about?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)