|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Telemachus procure a ship and crew to begin his quest?
2. Which word best describes Odysseus' initial reaction when Calypso offers to help him in Book 5?
3. Who led the group which wanted to leave Troy immediately after the war?
4. According to Halitherses in Book 2, how long will Odysseus be gone before he returns to his friends and family?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Eighteen years.
(d) Twenty years.
5. What is Nausicaa's greatest concern for the trip back to her father's house from the river?
(a) She's worried about her reputation.
(b) She's worried that Odysseus isn't strong enough to make it.
(c) She's worried that Odysseus will get lost.
(d) She's worried that Odysseus will act immodestly, causing her shame.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what type of people did the Phaecians once live?
2. What does Mentes tell Telemachus in Book 1 that he must do?
3. When sadness grips the feasting in her hall, causing Menelaus and his visitors to cry in remembrance of friends lost in Troy, what does Helen do to the wine?
4. How many youths are chosen for the black ship that Alcinous will provide Odysseus?
5. What does Menelaus first reveal regarding Odysseus when Telemachus tells Menelaus who he is and the purpose of his visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the punishment of the slave maids in Book 22 just and reasonable?
2. What does Nestor tell Telemachus of Odysseus during Telemachus' visit in Book 3?
3. What kind of hospitality does Telemachus offer the old man in Book 16?
4. Why do the rest of the men (aside from the suitors) gathered at the assembly fail to speak or act in Book 2?
5. Describe Nausicaa's character.
6. Explain the circumstances that lead Athene to intervene on Odysseus' behalf at the very beginning of the poem.
7. From Helen and Menelaus' stories, what can be said about Odysseus?
8. Why does Homer begin the last book in the halls of the dead?
9. In Book 15, why does Peisistratus let Telemachus go without seeing Nestor again? Is this wise?
10. How does Telemachus assert himself to his mother during the trial of the bow?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)