|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Odysseus and his men push away from the Cyclops island, what does Odysseus do?
(a) He prays to the gods for deliverance.
(b) He spurs his crew to go faster.
(c) He mourns the loss of his crewmen.
(d) He taunts Polyphemus.
2. How does Athene reveal herself to the men gathered at Nestor's palace?
(a) She transforms into a heifer before their eyes.
(b) She transforms into a horse before their eyes.
(c) She transforms into mist before their eyes.
(d) She transforms into an osprey before their eyes.
3. How long have the suitors been coming to Odysseus' home?
(a) More than three years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Six years.
(d) A couple of years.
4. In Book 1, who seeks to punish Odysseus interminably?
5. To which goddess does Odysseus compare Nausicaa in Book 6?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is special about the cattle and flocks of the Sun?
2. What does Nestor tell Telemachus about his relationship with Odysseus?
3. Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Menelaus tell?
4. What color yarn does Nausicaa's mother spin?
5. How long do Odysseus and his men stay with Circe in Book 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Circe help Odysseus in Book 10?
2. Why is Poseidon still upset with Odysseus in Book 13? Why does he now seek vengeance against the Phaecians? What can they do?
3. Why do the rest of the men (aside from the suitors) gathered at the assembly fail to speak or act in Book 2?
4. Why does Homer begin the last book in the halls of the dead?
5. Why does Menelaus mourn so much for Odysseus?
6. Even though Poseidon acknowledges Odysseus's fate, he continues to punish him. Why?
7. In what ways was Odysseus' naming prophetic?
8. Describe the suitors' reaction to Telemachus calling a meeting of the assembly in Book 1.
9. How does Euryalus insult Odysseus when the Phaeacians are engaging in sport?
10. How does a naked Odysseus ask for help among Nausicaa and the maids?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)