|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the first spirit to visit Odysseus in Hades ask him to do?
(a) Kill one of his men because the gods detest him.
(b) Take care of his father, Laertes.
(c) Make more sacrifices at each place he stops.
(d) Go back to Aeaea and observe his funeral rites.
2. What is unique about Demodocus the bard?
(a) He is a son of a Muse.
(b) He is completely deaf.
(c) He can play a tune he's heard only once.
(d) He is blind but gifted with delightful song.
3. In Chapter 12, with his ship destroyed, Odysseus drifts until he reaches _____________.
4. Where is Odysseus at the beginning of the poem?
5. In Book 1, who seeks to punish Odysseus interminably?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times has the meeting of the assembly occurred since Odysseus left?
2. In addition to offering advice, what else does Mentes from Taphos give to Telemachus?
3. According to Circe, how should Odysseus get past the Sirens while listening to their song?
4. How long have the suitors been coming to Odysseus' home?
5. How many men does Odysseus lose to the Cyclops?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Athene want to cause Odysseus suffering and pain when she prods the suitors to abuse him in his own house in Book 18?
2. What does Hercules serves as a reminder for/about?
3. Enumerate Telemachus' problem - why has he called the leaders of Ithaca together?
4. Why is Eurymachus' offer of recompense not enough for Odysseus?
5. In what ways does Odysseus reveal his crafty mind in his encounter with the cyclops?
6. Which men support Telemachus at the assembly in Book 2? Why do they support him, and how are they treated by the others?
7. In Book 20, why does Athene make the suitors laugh uncontrollably?
8. In Book 3, what can be learned from the story of Agamemnon's murder since the reader is seeing it a second time?
9. How does a naked Odysseus ask for help among Nausicaa and the maids?
10. What are the suitors' fears now that Telemachus has escaped their plot in Book 16?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)