|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ino give Odysseus to save his life when he loses his raft to Poseidon?
(a) A raft.
(b) A veil.
(c) A magic sail.
(d) A ride on dolphins.
2. What is happening in Lacedaemon when Telemachus arrives?
(a) Menelaus is celebrating a double marriage.
(b) Menelaus is celebrating the marriage of his daughter.
(c) Menelaus is holding a funeral rite for his brother.
(d) Menelaus and his household are holding a feast in honor of the gods.
3. In which contest in Book 8 does Odysseus first outstrip all others?
4. What advice does Agamemnon give to Odysseus regarding women in Book 11?
(a) Send your treasures ahead of yourself after so long an absence.
(b) Tell a part and let a part be hid.
(c) Always be gentle with your wife.
(d) Hide your ship and surprise her with your return.
5. How does Eurylochus react when Odysseus tells his crew to follow him to Circe's house?
(a) He tells the others that Circe will be kind if Odysseus is there.
(b) He tells the others to trust Odysseus.
(c) He tells the others it was Odysseus' fault that the others have perished, and that Odysseus is reckless.
(d) He tells the others it's a trap.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of Demodocus' first song at Alcinous' feast in Book 8?
2. When does the magic cloud disperse from Odysseus?
3. How does Eurylochus convince Odysseus to land on Thrinacia?
4. While Telemachus is in Lycaedaemon, what plan do the suitors devise to punish Telemachus for leaving?
5. Where did Nestor last see Odysseus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though Poseidon acknowledges Odysseus's fate, he continues to punish him. Why?
2. Describe Odysseus' bed.
3. In Book 3, what can be learned from the story of Agamemnon's murder since the reader is seeing it a second time?
4. Describe the suitors' reaction to Telemachus calling a meeting of the assembly in Book 1.
5. Why does Athene want to cause Odysseus suffering and pain when she prods the suitors to abuse him in his own house in Book 18?
6. How does Calypso feel about releasing Odysseus?
7. What makes Eumaeus a loyal servant and friend?
8. Describe the behavior of the suitors at the assembly in Book 2.
9. Describe Nausicaa's character.
10. Why does Telemachus take advice from Mentes, a relative stranger to him, in Book 1?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)