|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who interrupts Phemius' sad song of the Achaeans in Book 1?
2. When captured by Menelaus, who had been stuck for 20 days, what did this being reveal to him to get his freedom?
(a) Menelaus is told how to get vengeance for his brother.
(b) Menelaus is told how to get Helen back.
(c) Menelaus is told how to get home and acquire more treasure.
(d) Menelaus is told how to get home, as well as the fate of three of his friends.
3. During this assembly, who does Antinous blame for Telemachus' problem?
(b) The gods.
4. How does Eurylochus convince Odysseus to land on Thrinacia?
(a) They might not see land for days.
(b) His men are tired and hungry. They need a break from the sea.
(c) Odysseus is reckless and has lost a lot of crew. They don't trust what he says.
(d) Odysseus is out of touch with his crew.
5. How long do Odysseus and his men stay with Circe in Book 10?
(a) One year.
(b) One week.
(c) One month.
(d) One season.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 6, what instructions does Nausicaa give her maids regarding Odysseus?
2. In Book 5, who orders Odysseus' release from Calypso?
3. How does Penelope keep from marrying one of the suitors?
4. In whose grove of poplar trees is Odysseus told to wait before approaching the palace in Book 6?
5. What does Mentes tell Telemachus in Book 1 that he must do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book 20, what has happened to Telemachus now that Odysseus has returned?
2. Is it necessary for Odysseus to threaten Eurycleia when she recognizes him?
3. What causes Odysseus' crew to open Aeolus' gift?
4. What is interesting in Penelope's appearance to the suitors after the boxing match between Odysseus and Irus?
5. Describe Odysseus' bed.
6. Does Nausicaa act properly towards Odysseus when giving aid in Book 6?
7. Even though Poseidon acknowledges Odysseus's fate, he continues to punish him. Why?
8. Why does Telemachus take advice from Mentes, a relative stranger to him, in Book 1?
9. In what ways does Odysseus reveal his crafty mind in his encounter with the cyclops?
10. Describe Eurylochus' actions in Book 12. What kind of man is he?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)