|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 11, who is first to visit Odysseus from the dead?
2. Where is Poseidon coming from when he sees Odysseus on his raft in Book 5?
(c) Mt. Olympus.
3. Why does Athena speak to Nausicaa in her dreams?
(a) She wants Nausicaa to discover Odysseus.
(b) She wants to tell Nausicaa that she hasn't been a good daughter or sister since she hasn't washed the clothes.
(c) She wants Nausicaa to prepare for her upcoming marriage.
(d) She wants others to know that Nausicaa has a connection with the immortals.
4. What is Nestor doing when Telemachus arrives in Pylos?
(a) He is holding a feast in honor of Poseidon.
(b) He is holding a feast in honor of Hermes.
(c) He is holding a feast in honor of Athene.
(d) He is holding a feast in honor of Zeus.
5. Which of his six remaining sons does Nestor send with Telemachus in Book 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Menelaus first reveal regarding Odysseus when Telemachus tells Menelaus who he is and the purpose of his visit?
2. Why, despite taking an oath, does Odysseus' crew slay some cattle of the Sun?
3. What does Ino give Odysseus to save his life when he loses his raft to Poseidon?
4. As a result of the meeting of the assembly in Book 2, what do the suitors decide to do?
5. Which word best describes Odysseus' initial reaction when Calypso offers to help him in Book 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Eumaeus a loyal servant and friend?
2. What causes Odysseus' crew to open Aeolus' gift?
3. Why does Odysseus reveal himself to Eumaeus and Philoetius?
4. Is it necessary for Odysseus to threaten Eurycleia when she recognizes him?
5. Why is Eurymachus' offer of recompense not enough for Odysseus?
6. Recount the most recent part of Odysseus' story of woe, as told in Book 7.
7. What is interesting in Penelope's appearance to the suitors after the boxing match between Odysseus and Irus?
8. Odysseus tells his men about the Sirens. Why doesn't he share Circe's information and advice about Scylla and Charybdis?
9. Describe Nestor, King of Pylos.
10. What does Eumaeus think will happen to the old man if he approaches the suitors for work? Why?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)