|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Odysseus the beggar say he wants the bow after the suitors have all tried to use it?
(a) He wants to prove himself worthy of their mercy.
(b) He wants to try for the lady.
(c) He wants to see how much strength he has left.
(d) He wants the suitors to warm it up for him.
2. How is Odysseus, the old stranger, received by the swineherd in Book 14?
(a) With indifference - he's only going through the motions.
(b) With suspicion - strangers tell tall tales about Odysseus' whereabouts.
(c) With much hospitality despite his appearance.
(d) Poorly - the swineherd sets the dogs on him.
3. In Book 14, where does a disguised Odysseus tell Eumaeus he is from when asked?
4. When Odysseus is on land after his voyage from Scheria, why doesn't he know where he is?
(a) He is unfamiliar with this part of Ithaca.
(b) He's been gone too long.
(c) The Phaecians brought him to another island.
(d) Athene has spread a cloud, obscurring him.
5. Who gives Odysseus the bow that Penelope is using in her contest for the suitors?
6. Where is Odysseus going in the morning in Book 23, the day after the battle with the suitors?
(a) To the farm.
(b) To complete is quest to make peace with Poseidon.
(c) To the mountains.
(d) To his cave for his treasures.
7. How does Athene disguise Odysseus on Ithaca?
(a) She makes him look old and dresses him in smelly rags.
(b) She just changes his eyes and hair.
(c) She makes him change his clothes and wear a mask.
(d) She makes him look like Telemachus, since Telemachus in still in Sparta.
8. Who does Telemachus first slay among the suitors during the battle in the hall?
9. Where did Menelaus get the gift he gave to Telemachus?
(a) From Troy as a spoil of war.
(b) From a king who sheltered him.
(c) From his wife as a wedding present.
(d) From an immortal when he was close to death.
10. How does Penelope initially react to Eurycleia's news about Odysseus and the suitors?
(a) She cries for shame.
(b) She hits her.
(c) She doesn't believe her.
(d) She runs out to see.
11. Which suitor has a "bad feeling" after Odysseus the beggar tries to warn him of impending danger in Book 18?
12. Who tries to help the suitors in Book 22 by grabbing the armor and weapons?
(a) Some slave maids.
13. How does the shepherd from the mainland treat Odysseus the beggar when he first meets him at the palace courtyard?
(a) He treats the beggar rudely.
(b) He ignores him completely.
(c) He shows the beggar honor and respect.
(d) He greets him.
14. Why does Telemachus take Theoclymenus on his ship home?
(a) Theoclymenus is fleeing from punishment.
(b) Telemachus realizes he needs all the allies he can get in Ithaca.
(c) Athena tells him to take the murderer.
(d) Theoclymenus pays him.
15. In Book 16, Where do Telemachus' gifts go?
(a) Clytius' house.
(b) The farm.
(c) Odysseus' house.
(d) They were left on the ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many suitors are spared in Book 22 before Eurycleia is summoned for cleaning the hall?
2. Who betrayed Penelope's loom of deceit?
3. According to Book 13, what else does Alcinous decide to give Odysseus once his tale is over?
4. What does Eupeithes seek at the assembly after the lords learn of the slaughter of the suitors?
5. What test does Odysseus give his son in Book 16?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)