|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Penelope, when did Odysseus say it was acceptable for her to remarry?
(a) When Telemachus is a bearded man.
(b) When 21 years have passed.
(c) When Laertes dies.
(d) After Telemachus gets married.
2. What time of day do Odysseus and the Phaecians set sail in Book 13?
(d) It doesn't say.
3. What gift does Menelaus give to Telemachus as they part company in Book 15?
(a) A well-wrought bowl made by Hephaestus.
(b) A cauldron used by the oracles.
(c) A tapestry woven by Athena.
(d) A pair of mules.
4. Which suitor scorns Odysseus the beggar at the second feast which he attends, in Book 20?
5. Why does Telemachus take Theoclymenus on his ship home?
(a) Athena tells him to take the murderer.
(b) Theoclymenus is fleeing from punishment.
(c) Theoclymenus pays him.
(d) Telemachus realizes he needs all the allies he can get in Ithaca.
6. What will the winner of the beggars' fight in Book 18 get from the suitors?
(a) The goat paunch and always attend their feasts as the sole beggar.
(b) To be the sole beggar of the house.
(c) Fed for the week and given a new robe and tunic.
(d) Shipped off to King Ecteus, who will cut his nose and ears.
7. What does Eupeithes seek at the assembly after the lords learn of the slaughter of the suitors?
(a) He wants recompense for his son from Odysseus.
(b) He wants revenge against Odysseus for his son, and the others lost to Odysseus.
(c) He wants Odysseus to go into exile.
(d) He wants the queen to be killed.
8. How does Eurycleia recognize Odysseus the beggar as Odysseus in Book 19?
(a) She feels his scar when when she washes his feet.
(b) She notices his birthmark.
(c) She recognizes his voice.
(d) She recognizes his style of speech.
9. What sign does Odysseus give to his father so he believes that Odysseus has returned?
(a) He tells him about the bed in the palace.
(b) He tells him about his scar.
(c) He tells him the number and type of trees growing in the vineyard.
(d) He tells him about his mother in the underworld.
10. What ultimately exposes Odysseus' identity to Penelope?
(a) They have a secret code which they aggreed on before he left.
(b) He shows her the secret chamber.
(c) His bed.
(d) His scar.
11. Which reveler refuses to give anything to Odysseus the beggar, who has come to witness his first feast?
12. Where is Telemachus supposed to put all the fighting gear that lies about Odysseus' hall?
(a) In a storage room.
(b) In his mother's room.
(c) He's not to touch it, because it will arouse suspicion.
(d) In a corner of the lofty chamber.
13. How does Odysseus' goatherd, Melanthius, treat Odysseus the beggar and Eumaeus?
(a) He ignored them.
(b) He was happy to see the swineherd and interested in Odysseus.
(c) He is rude and unkind.
(d) He is suspicious.
14. How does the shepherd from the mainland treat Odysseus the beggar when he first meets him at the palace courtyard?
(a) He shows the beggar honor and respect.
(b) He ignores him completely.
(c) He treats the beggar rudely.
(d) He greets him.
15. Who betrayed Penelope's loom of deceit?
(a) Her slave maids told the suitors after three years.
(b) She was caught by the suitors after five years.
(c) It took them two years, but they figured it out themselves.
(d) She was caught by the suitors in the fourth year.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Athene disguise Odysseus on Ithaca?
2. How does Eumaeus greet Telemachus upon his return in Book 16?
3. Why doesn't Eumaeus want the old man to tell him tales of his master?
4. How does Eumaeus describe the suitors actions?
5. Why does Odysseus the beggar say he wants the bow after the suitors have all tried to use it?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)