|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many suitors are spared in Book 22 before Eurycleia is summoned for cleaning the hall?
2. Which suitor eases Penelope's fears for her son in Book 16?
3. At his first feast in his own house, who throws a stool at Odysseus the beggar?
4. What caused Telemachus to disband the feast after the fight of Irus and Odysseus the beggar?
(a) The food has run out for the evening.
(b) The suitors started fighting among themselves.
(c) Eurymachus throws a stool at Odysseus the beggar.
(d) Eurymachus abused a servant.
5. Who betrayed Penelope's loom of deceit?
(a) She was caught by the suitors after five years.
(b) She was caught by the suitors in the fourth year.
(c) It took them two years, but they figured it out themselves.
(d) Her slave maids told the suitors after three years.
6. Among the suitors, who tried to use the bow first?
7. How does the shepherd from the mainland treat Odysseus the beggar when he first meets him at the palace courtyard?
(a) He greets him.
(b) He treats the beggar rudely.
(c) He ignores him completely.
(d) He shows the beggar honor and respect.
8. What does Eupeithes seek at the assembly after the lords learn of the slaughter of the suitors?
(a) He wants recompense for his son from Odysseus.
(b) He wants the queen to be killed.
(c) He wants Odysseus to go into exile.
(d) He wants revenge against Odysseus for his son, and the others lost to Odysseus.
9. How does Athene disguise Odysseus on Ithaca?
(a) She makes him look old and dresses him in smelly rags.
(b) She just changes his eyes and hair.
(c) She makes him look like Telemachus, since Telemachus in still in Sparta.
(d) She makes him change his clothes and wear a mask.
10. Once Odysseus realizes he's in Ithaca, what does Athene advise him to do?
(a) Send a secret message to Penelope.
(b) Disguise himself and see the suitors.
(c) Reveal himself to his loyal swineherd.
(d) Hide his goods in a corner of the nearby cave.
11. How does Penelope test the truth of Odysseus the beggar's story regarding Odysseus?
(a) She asks him to describe Odysseus' clothing, his person, and his companions.
(b) She asked what Odysseus' ship looked like.
(c) She asks him the month and year he visited with Odysseus.
(d) She asked the beggar at which games Odysseus excelled.
12. In Book 22, which suitor is killed first?
13. Where is Telemachus supposed to put all the fighting gear that lies about Odysseus' hall?
(a) In a storage room.
(b) In his mother's room.
(c) In a corner of the lofty chamber.
(d) He's not to touch it, because it will arouse suspicion.
14. What test does Odysseus give his son in Book 16?
(a) Odysseus is waiting to see how his son fares in combat.
(b) He is not to tell a soul that Odysseus has returned to Ithaca alive and well.
(c) Odysseus has instructed Telemachus to find the loyal servants of the house.
(d) Odysseus wants to see if Telemachus can follow the plan.
15. Which reveler refuses to give anything to Odysseus the beggar, who has come to witness his first feast?
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Irus nervous about his fight with Odysseus the beggar?
2. What is Penelope's reaction when she sees Odysseus for the first time after the slaughter of the suitors?
3. How does Eurycleia recognize Odysseus the beggar as Odysseus in Book 19?
4. What sign does Odysseus give to his father so he believes that Odysseus has returned?
5. Who lets the first spear fly when the mourners come to attack in Book 24?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)