|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many suitors are spared in Book 22 before Eurycleia is summoned for cleaning the hall?
2. In Book 19, what does Odysseus the beggar tell Penelope has kept Odysseus away so long?
(a) He couldn't find a ship to bring him to Ithaca.
(b) He's been gathering treasure.
(c) He's had a difficult passage.
(d) He's gone to the oracle.
3. Where is Telemachus supposed to put all the fighting gear that lies about Odysseus' hall?
(a) He's not to touch it, because it will arouse suspicion.
(b) In a storage room.
(c) In his mother's room.
(d) In a corner of the lofty chamber.
4. Who does Telemachus first slay among the suitors during the battle in the hall?
5. What test does Odysseus give his son in Book 16?
(a) He is not to tell a soul that Odysseus has returned to Ithaca alive and well.
(b) Odysseus is waiting to see how his son fares in combat.
(c) Odysseus wants to see if Telemachus can follow the plan.
(d) Odysseus has instructed Telemachus to find the loyal servants of the house.
6. What makes Irus nervous about his fight with Odysseus the beggar?
(a) Irus sees his muscular chest.
(b) The suitors have threatened to drag him out by his feet if he loses.
(c) Athene sends a cold wind to give him a chill.
(d) The old man has muscular thighs.
7. To whom does Odysseus pray the next morning after speaking with Penelope alone, looking for a sign?
8. What ultimately exposes Odysseus' identity to Penelope?
(a) His scar.
(b) They have a secret code which they aggreed on before he left.
(c) His bed.
(d) He shows her the secret chamber.
9. Which suitor has a "bad feeling" after Odysseus the beggar tries to warn him of impending danger in Book 18?
10. In Book 24, In the halls of the dead, what were the heroes' shades discussing?
(a) The fate of Odysseus.
(b) The funeral of Achilles.
(c) The funeral of Agamemnon.
(d) Their great deeds in life.
11. Why doesn't Eumaeus want the old man to tell him tales of his master?
(a) Many travelers will tell tales for food and clothing.
(b) It doesn't look like he has the means to travel.
(c) He's been told not to speak Odysseus' name.
(d) He's convinced Odysseus is dead.
12. What is the name Odysseus the beggar gives as his own in Book 19?
13. Which suitor scorns Odysseus the beggar at the second feast which he attends, in Book 20?
14. Who tries to help the suitors in Book 22 by grabbing the armor and weapons?
(a) Some slave maids.
15. For what does Penelope pray after speaking with Odysseus the beggar in Book 20?
(a) She prays for a good husband.
(b) She prays for the suitors to die.
(c) She prays for Odysseus to return.
(d) She wishes to die.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lets the first spear fly when the mourners come to attack in Book 24?
2. What caused Telemachus to disband the feast after the fight of Irus and Odysseus the beggar?
3. In Book 16, Where do Telemachus' gifts go?
4. Who sets up the axes for the trial of the bow?
5. As Odysseus tells Eumaeus his story in Book 14, how does he say he earns a living and makes a name for himself?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)