|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Telemachus supposed to put all the fighting gear that lies about Odysseus' hall?
(a) In a corner of the lofty chamber.
(b) He's not to touch it, because it will arouse suspicion.
(c) In his mother's room.
(d) In a storage room.
2. Where is Odysseus going in the morning in Book 23, the day after the battle with the suitors?
(a) To the mountains.
(b) To the farm.
(c) To his cave for his treasures.
(d) To complete is quest to make peace with Poseidon.
3. What gift does Helen give to Telemachus as he is preparing to leave Lacedaemon?
(a) A beautiful embroidered robe for his future bride.
(b) The text never describes her gift.
(c) A jewel that sparkled like a star.
(d) Goblets of silver to use at his wedding feast.
4. Which suitor eases Penelope's fears for her son in Book 16?
5. In addition to Odysseus and Penelope, who knew the secret of the bed?
6. What is the name Odysseus the beggar gives as his own in Book 19?
7. Why does Telemachus take Theoclymenus on his ship home?
(a) Theoclymenus is fleeing from punishment.
(b) Theoclymenus pays him.
(c) Telemachus realizes he needs all the allies he can get in Ithaca.
(d) Athena tells him to take the murderer.
8. What sign does Odysseus give to his father so he believes that Odysseus has returned?
(a) He tells him the number and type of trees growing in the vineyard.
(b) He tells him about his mother in the underworld.
(c) He tells him about his scar.
(d) He tells him about the bed in the palace.
9. With whom was Eumaeus raised?
10. In Book 24, who tells the assembly that an immortal aided Odysseus?
11. Who tries to help the suitors in Book 22 by grabbing the armor and weapons?
(c) Some slave maids.
12. How does Penelope initially react to Eurycleia's news about Odysseus and the suitors?
(a) She doesn't believe her.
(b) She hits her.
(c) She runs out to see.
(d) She cries for shame.
13. What time of day do Odysseus and the Phaecians set sail in Book 13?
(b) It doesn't say.
14. Why are there so few boars among Odysseus' swine in Book 14?
(a) The suitors use them for hunting games.
(b) You only need a few to maintain the numbers.
(c) The suitors feast upon them.
(d) They keep running off.
15. Once Odysseus realizes he's in Ithaca, what does Athene advise him to do?
(a) Send a secret message to Penelope.
(b) Hide his goods in a corner of the nearby cave.
(c) Reveal himself to his loyal swineherd.
(d) Disguise himself and see the suitors.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Odysseus pray the next morning after speaking with Penelope alone, looking for a sign?
2. For what does Penelope pray after speaking with Odysseus the beggar in Book 20?
3. Who sets up the axes for the trial of the bow?
4. What test does Odysseus give his son in Book 16?
5. What caused Telemachus to disband the feast after the fight of Irus and Odysseus the beggar?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)