|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Eurycleia recognize Odysseus the beggar as Odysseus in Book 19?
(a) She recognizes his style of speech.
(b) She notices his birthmark.
(c) She recognizes his voice.
(d) She feels his scar when when she washes his feet.
2. How does Telemachus react to his mother's contest in Book 21?
(a) He's going to try the bow too.
(b) He thinks she's doing the right thing.
(c) He tells her that the suitors are not to touch his father's weapons.
(d) He's going to try the bow, for if he can wield it, then she can marry whoever she wishes.
3. How does Odysseus' goatherd, Melanthius, treat Odysseus the beggar and Eumaeus?
(a) He was happy to see the swineherd and interested in Odysseus.
(b) He is suspicious.
(c) He is rude and unkind.
(d) He ignored them.
4. In Book 24, who tells the assembly that an immortal aided Odysseus?
5. Who does Telemachus first slay among the suitors during the battle in the hall?
6. How many suitors are spared in Book 22 before Eurycleia is summoned for cleaning the hall?
7. What does Odysseus do during the voyage home in Book 13?
(b) Stands lookout.
(c) Takes to oar.
(d) Holds the rudder.
8. Who betrayed Penelope's loom of deceit?
(a) She was caught by the suitors in the fourth year.
(b) Her slave maids told the suitors after three years.
(c) She was caught by the suitors after five years.
(d) It took them two years, but they figured it out themselves.
9. According to Book 13, what else does Alcinous decide to give Odysseus once his tale is over?
(a) Some cattle.
(b) A cauldron and a large tripod.
(c) More gold.
(d) More garments.
10. What ultimately exposes Odysseus' identity to Penelope?
(a) His bed.
(b) They have a secret code which they aggreed on before he left.
(c) He shows her the secret chamber.
(d) His scar.
11. Who is the first in the hall to notice Odysseus the beggar?
12. What gift does Menelaus give to Telemachus as they part company in Book 15?
(a) A tapestry woven by Athena.
(b) A cauldron used by the oracles.
(c) A pair of mules.
(d) A well-wrought bowl made by Hephaestus.
13. Who lets the first spear fly when the mourners come to attack in Book 24?
14. Since Telemachus dismissed the serving women, how is he able to move the armor in the dark in Book 19?
(a) Odysseus the beggar carries a torch.
(b) Athene holds a golden lamp in front of them.
(c) They light torches along the hallway.
(d) Eurycleia helps them out.
15. Which suitor eases Penelope's fears for her son in Book 16?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the shepherd from the mainland treat Odysseus the beggar when he first meets him at the palace courtyard?
2. Which suitor scorns Odysseus the beggar at the second feast which he attends, in Book 20?
3. Why does Odysseus the beggar say he wants the bow after the suitors have all tried to use it?
4. How is Odysseus, the old stranger, received by the swineherd in Book 14?
5. In addition to Odysseus and Penelope, who knew the secret of the bed?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)