|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does Menelaus give to Telemachus as they part company in Book 15?
(a) A well-wrought bowl made by Hephaestus.
(b) A cauldron used by the oracles.
(c) A pair of mules.
(d) A tapestry woven by Athena.
2. Who betrayed Penelope's loom of deceit?
(a) It took them two years, but they figured it out themselves.
(b) She was caught by the suitors in the fourth year.
(c) She was caught by the suitors after five years.
(d) Her slave maids told the suitors after three years.
3. How does Penelope test the truth of Odysseus the beggar's story regarding Odysseus?
(a) She asked the beggar at which games Odysseus excelled.
(b) She asked what Odysseus' ship looked like.
(c) She asks him the month and year he visited with Odysseus.
(d) She asks him to describe Odysseus' clothing, his person, and his companions.
4. As Odysseus tells Eumaeus his story in Book 14, how does he say he earns a living and makes a name for himself?
(a) As a priest.
(b) As a scholar.
(c) As a soldier.
(d) As a pirate.
5. In addition to Odysseus and Penelope, who knew the secret of the bed?
6. When Eurymachus' negotiations fail, what plan do the suitors make to escape from Odysseus' palace alive?
(a) They want to attack all together then raise the alarm.
(b) They form a phalanx trying to protect themselves.
(c) Everyone wants to be the leader, so they spend their time squabbling.
(d) Someone should try the back door and get into town.
7. In Book 23, now that the fight with the suitors is over, what does Odysseus tell Telemachus to do?
(a) Gather the assembly and explain the events before others make decisions.
(b) Fortify the gates and brace for an attack.
(c) Take a ship to see Menelaus for aid.
(d) Wash, gather the others and act like there is a wedding feast.
8. Who does Telemachus first slay among the suitors during the battle in the hall?
9. In Book 14, where does a disguised Odysseus tell Eumaeus he is from when asked?
10. Who lets the first spear fly when the mourners come to attack in Book 24?
11. How do the suitors view the fight between the two beggars in Book 18?
(a) They think the beggars are disgusting, but they can't stop watching it.
(b) They think the beggars show their worth behaving in such a manner.
(c) They don't really care about the fight.
(d) They think it is the best entertainment that they've had.
12. How does Telemachus react to his mother's contest in Book 21?
(a) He's going to try the bow too.
(b) He thinks she's doing the right thing.
(c) He's going to try the bow, for if he can wield it, then she can marry whoever she wishes.
(d) He tells her that the suitors are not to touch his father's weapons.
13. What is the name Odysseus the beggar gives as his own in Book 19?
14. How does Eumaeus greet Telemachus upon his return in Book 16?
(a) Like a father to a long lost son.
(b) Like an employee who loves his boss.
(c) Like a brother.
(d) Like a mentor to a prodigy.
15. Why doesn't Telemachus want his treasures taken to his house?
(a) He doesn't want the suitors to see them.
(b) He's decided that Peiraeus has earned them.
(c) He doesn't want his mother to see them.
(d) He's unsure about the situation with the suitors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sign does Odysseus give to his father so he believes that Odysseus has returned?
2. When Odysseus is on land after his voyage from Scheria, why doesn't he know where he is?
3. In Book 22, which suitor is killed first?
4. Which suitor scorns Odysseus the beggar at the second feast which he attends, in Book 20?
5. According to Penelope, when did Odysseus say it was acceptable for her to remarry?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)