|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Odysseus pray the next morning after speaking with Penelope alone, looking for a sign?
2. What gift does Helen give to Telemachus as he is preparing to leave Lacedaemon?
(a) The text never describes her gift.
(b) Goblets of silver to use at his wedding feast.
(c) A jewel that sparkled like a star.
(d) A beautiful embroidered robe for his future bride.
3. Among the suitors, who tried to use the bow first?
4. What does Eurymachus offer Odysseus in Book 22 from the remaining suitors to make amends for their behavior at his house for so long?
(a) Some cattle and some servants.
(b) All of their personal wealth and that of their families.
(c) Twenty oxen and bronze and gold.
(d) Cattle, meal, and golden cups.
5. Where is Telemachus supposed to put all the fighting gear that lies about Odysseus' hall?
(a) In his mother's room.
(b) In a corner of the lofty chamber.
(c) In a storage room.
(d) He's not to touch it, because it will arouse suspicion.
6. In Book 24, who tells the assembly that an immortal aided Odysseus?
7. Why doesn't Telemachus want his treasures taken to his house?
(a) He's unsure about the situation with the suitors.
(b) He's decided that Peiraeus has earned them.
(c) He doesn't want the suitors to see them.
(d) He doesn't want his mother to see them.
8. According to Book 13, what else does Alcinous decide to give Odysseus once his tale is over?
(a) Some cattle.
(b) More gold.
(c) More garments.
(d) A cauldron and a large tripod.
9. Which suitor scorns Odysseus the beggar at the second feast which he attends, in Book 20?
10. For what does Penelope pray after speaking with Odysseus the beggar in Book 20?
(a) She wishes to die.
(b) She prays for the suitors to die.
(c) She prays for a good husband.
(d) She prays for Odysseus to return.
11. Who sets up the axes for the trial of the bow?
12. What test does Odysseus give his son in Book 16?
(a) Odysseus has instructed Telemachus to find the loyal servants of the house.
(b) Odysseus wants to see if Telemachus can follow the plan.
(c) Odysseus is waiting to see how his son fares in combat.
(d) He is not to tell a soul that Odysseus has returned to Ithaca alive and well.
13. What caused Telemachus to disband the feast after the fight of Irus and Odysseus the beggar?
(a) The food has run out for the evening.
(b) Eurymachus throws a stool at Odysseus the beggar.
(c) Eurymachus abused a servant.
(d) The suitors started fighting among themselves.
14. What time of day do Odysseus and the Phaecians set sail in Book 13?
(c) It doesn't say.
15. Which reveler refuses to give anything to Odysseus the beggar, who has come to witness his first feast?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Penelope test the truth of Odysseus the beggar's story regarding Odysseus?
2. How do the suitors view the fight between the two beggars in Book 18?
3. Why does Telemachus take Theoclymenus on his ship home?
4. What sign does Odysseus give to his father so he believes that Odysseus has returned?
5. How does Odysseus' goatherd, Melanthius, treat Odysseus the beggar and Eumaeus?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)