|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 19, what does Odysseus the beggar tell Penelope has kept Odysseus away so long?
(a) He's gone to the oracle.
(b) He's been gathering treasure.
(c) He's had a difficult passage.
(d) He couldn't find a ship to bring him to Ithaca.
2. What does Eupeithes seek at the assembly after the lords learn of the slaughter of the suitors?
(a) He wants the queen to be killed.
(b) He wants recompense for his son from Odysseus.
(c) He wants Odysseus to go into exile.
(d) He wants revenge against Odysseus for his son, and the others lost to Odysseus.
3. Which suitor eases Penelope's fears for her son in Book 16?
4. Who gives Odysseus the bow that Penelope is using in her contest for the suitors?
5. What will the winner of the beggars' fight in Book 18 get from the suitors?
(a) Shipped off to King Ecteus, who will cut his nose and ears.
(b) Fed for the week and given a new robe and tunic.
(c) The goat paunch and always attend their feasts as the sole beggar.
(d) To be the sole beggar of the house.
6. Why does Odysseus find sleep difficult in his home in Book 20?
(a) He wishes to be in his marriage bed.
(b) With the old body that Athene has given, he has many aches and pains.
(c) He's wondering how he is going to slay the suitors alone.
(d) He picked an uncomfortable spot to keep up his rouse.
7. Once Odysseus realizes he's in Ithaca, what does Athene advise him to do?
(a) Hide his goods in a corner of the nearby cave.
(b) Send a secret message to Penelope.
(c) Reveal himself to his loyal swineherd.
(d) Disguise himself and see the suitors.
8. How does Penelope initially react to Eurycleia's news about Odysseus and the suitors?
(a) She runs out to see.
(b) She cries for shame.
(c) She hits her.
(d) She doesn't believe her.
9. How does Odysseus' goatherd, Melanthius, treat Odysseus the beggar and Eumaeus?
(a) He is rude and unkind.
(b) He ignored them.
(c) He was happy to see the swineherd and interested in Odysseus.
(d) He is suspicious.
10. Who does Telemachus first slay among the suitors during the battle in the hall?
11. What is the name Odysseus the beggar gives as his own in Book 19?
12. How does Eumaeus greet Telemachus upon his return in Book 16?
(a) Like an employee who loves his boss.
(b) Like a brother.
(c) Like a mentor to a prodigy.
(d) Like a father to a long lost son.
13. Who interprets the sign of the eagle and the goose as Telemachus and Peisistratus are leaving Lacedaemon?
14. Why does Odysseus the beggar say he wants the bow after the suitors have all tried to use it?
(a) He wants to see how much strength he has left.
(b) He wants the suitors to warm it up for him.
(c) He wants to prove himself worthy of their mercy.
(d) He wants to try for the lady.
15. Where is Telemachus supposed to put all the fighting gear that lies about Odysseus' hall?
(a) He's not to touch it, because it will arouse suspicion.
(b) In a corner of the lofty chamber.
(c) In a storage room.
(d) In his mother's room.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eurycleia recognize Odysseus the beggar as Odysseus in Book 19?
2. In Book 24, who tells the assembly that an immortal aided Odysseus?
3. What sign does Odysseus give to his father so he believes that Odysseus has returned?
4. Who sets up the axes for the trial of the bow?
5. Why is Telemachus skeptical that he and Odysseus can handle the suitors without help?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)