Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which suitor has a "bad feeling" after Odysseus the beggar tries to warn him of impending danger in Book 18?
2. How does Eumaeus greet Telemachus upon his return in Book 16?
(a) Like an employee who loves his boss.
(b) Like a father to a long lost son.
(c) Like a mentor to a prodigy.
(d) Like a brother.
3. How does Eumaeus describe the suitors actions?
4. What caused Telemachus to disband the feast after the fight of Irus and Odysseus the beggar?
(a) The suitors started fighting among themselves.
(b) Eurymachus abused a servant.
(c) The food has run out for the evening.
(d) Eurymachus throws a stool at Odysseus the beggar.
5. When Eurymachus' negotiations fail, what plan do the suitors make to escape from Odysseus' palace alive?
(a) They want to attack all together then raise the alarm.
(b) They form a phalanx trying to protect themselves.
(c) Everyone wants to be the leader, so they spend their time squabbling.
(d) Someone should try the back door and get into town.
6. According to Penelope, when did Odysseus say it was acceptable for her to remarry?
(a) When 21 years have passed.
(b) After Telemachus gets married.
(c) When Laertes dies.
(d) When Telemachus is a bearded man.
7. Why doesn't Telemachus want his treasures taken to his house?
(a) He's unsure about the situation with the suitors.
(b) He doesn't want the suitors to see them.
(c) He's decided that Peiraeus has earned them.
(d) He doesn't want his mother to see them.
8. In Book 16, Where do Telemachus' gifts go?
(a) The farm.
(b) Clytius' house.
(c) Odysseus' house.
(d) They were left on the ship.
9. For what does Penelope pray after speaking with Odysseus the beggar in Book 20?
(a) She prays for the suitors to die.
(b) She prays for Odysseus to return.
(c) She wishes to die.
(d) She prays for a good husband.
10. How does Telemachus react to his mother's contest in Book 21?
(a) He tells her that the suitors are not to touch his father's weapons.
(b) He's going to try the bow too.
(c) He thinks she's doing the right thing.
(d) He's going to try the bow, for if he can wield it, then she can marry whoever she wishes.
11. How do the suitors view the fight between the two beggars in Book 18?
(a) They think the beggars show their worth behaving in such a manner.
(b) They don't really care about the fight.
(c) They think the beggars are disgusting, but they can't stop watching it.
(d) They think it is the best entertainment that they've had.
12. How is Odysseus, the old stranger, received by the swineherd in Book 14?
(a) With indifference - he's only going through the motions.
(b) With suspicion - strangers tell tall tales about Odysseus' whereabouts.
(c) Poorly - the swineherd sets the dogs on him.
(d) With much hospitality despite his appearance.
13. Among the suitors, who tried to use the bow first?
14. Who betrayed Penelope's loom of deceit?
(a) It took them two years, but they figured it out themselves.
(b) She was caught by the suitors after five years.
(c) Her slave maids told the suitors after three years.
(d) She was caught by the suitors in the fourth year.
15. Who is the first in the hall to notice Odysseus the beggar?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Menelaus get the gift he gave to Telemachus?
2. In Book 14, where does a disguised Odysseus tell Eumaeus he is from when asked?
3. How many suitors are spared in Book 22 before Eurycleia is summoned for cleaning the hall?
4. In Book 24, who tells the assembly that an immortal aided Odysseus?
5. What time of day do Odysseus and the Phaecians set sail in Book 13?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)