|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Among the suitors, who tried to use the bow first?
2. Why does Odysseus find sleep difficult in his home in Book 20?
(a) He's wondering how he is going to slay the suitors alone.
(b) He picked an uncomfortable spot to keep up his rouse.
(c) With the old body that Athene has given, he has many aches and pains.
(d) He wishes to be in his marriage bed.
3. In Book 22, which suitor is killed first?
4. Who lets the first spear fly when the mourners come to attack in Book 24?
5. Why doesn't Eumaeus want the old man to tell him tales of his master?
(a) He's been told not to speak Odysseus' name.
(b) Many travelers will tell tales for food and clothing.
(c) He's convinced Odysseus is dead.
(d) It doesn't look like he has the means to travel.
6. In Book 16, Where do Telemachus' gifts go?
(a) The farm.
(b) Clytius' house.
(c) They were left on the ship.
(d) Odysseus' house.
7. How many suitors are spared in Book 22 before Eurycleia is summoned for cleaning the hall?
8. Since Telemachus dismissed the serving women, how is he able to move the armor in the dark in Book 19?
(a) They light torches along the hallway.
(b) Athene holds a golden lamp in front of them.
(c) Odysseus the beggar carries a torch.
(d) Eurycleia helps them out.
9. At his first feast in his own house, who throws a stool at Odysseus the beggar?
10. When Eurymachus' negotiations fail, what plan do the suitors make to escape from Odysseus' palace alive?
(a) They want to attack all together then raise the alarm.
(b) They form a phalanx trying to protect themselves.
(c) Everyone wants to be the leader, so they spend their time squabbling.
(d) Someone should try the back door and get into town.
11. Who tries to help the suitors in Book 22 by grabbing the armor and weapons?
(d) Some slave maids.
12. Where is Telemachus supposed to put all the fighting gear that lies about Odysseus' hall?
(a) He's not to touch it, because it will arouse suspicion.
(b) In his mother's room.
(c) In a storage room.
(d) In a corner of the lofty chamber.
13. Why is Telemachus skeptical that he and Odysseus can handle the suitors without help?
(a) Odysseus isn't as young as he used to be.
(b) Telemachus is untried in battle.
(c) There are more than 100 suitors haunting their halls.
(d) Odysseus has suffered for many years and it's taken a toll on his body.
14. In Book 23, now that the fight with the suitors is over, what does Odysseus tell Telemachus to do?
(a) Gather the assembly and explain the events before others make decisions.
(b) Take a ship to see Menelaus for aid.
(c) Wash, gather the others and act like there is a wedding feast.
(d) Fortify the gates and brace for an attack.
15. What will the winner of the beggars' fight in Book 18 get from the suitors?
(a) Fed for the week and given a new robe and tunic.
(b) To be the sole beggar of the house.
(c) The goat paunch and always attend their feasts as the sole beggar.
(d) Shipped off to King Ecteus, who will cut his nose and ears.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which suitor eases Penelope's fears for her son in Book 16?
2. As Odysseus tells Eumaeus his story in Book 14, how does he say he earns a living and makes a name for himself?
3. What does Theoclymenus tell Penelope about the omen of the birds?
4. When Odysseus is on land after his voyage from Scheria, why doesn't he know where he is?
5. How does Odysseus' goatherd, Melanthius, treat Odysseus the beggar and Eumaeus?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)