|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the suitors view the fight between the two beggars in Book 18?
(a) They think the beggars show their worth behaving in such a manner.
(b) They don't really care about the fight.
(c) They think it is the best entertainment that they've had.
(d) They think the beggars are disgusting, but they can't stop watching it.
2. What gift does Menelaus give to Telemachus as they part company in Book 15?
(a) A tapestry woven by Athena.
(b) A well-wrought bowl made by Hephaestus.
(c) A pair of mules.
(d) A cauldron used by the oracles.
3. When Eurymachus' negotiations fail, what plan do the suitors make to escape from Odysseus' palace alive?
(a) They form a phalanx trying to protect themselves.
(b) Everyone wants to be the leader, so they spend their time squabbling.
(c) Someone should try the back door and get into town.
(d) They want to attack all together then raise the alarm.
4. Who does Telemachus first slay among the suitors during the battle in the hall?
5. In Book 16, Where do Telemachus' gifts go?
(a) They were left on the ship.
(b) Clytius' house.
(c) The farm.
(d) Odysseus' house.
6. Why does Odysseus the beggar say he wants the bow after the suitors have all tried to use it?
(a) He wants the suitors to warm it up for him.
(b) He wants to see how much strength he has left.
(c) He wants to prove himself worthy of their mercy.
(d) He wants to try for the lady.
7. Where is Odysseus going in the morning in Book 23, the day after the battle with the suitors?
(a) To complete is quest to make peace with Poseidon.
(b) To his cave for his treasures.
(c) To the farm.
(d) To the mountains.
8. How does Telemachus react to his mother's contest in Book 21?
(a) He's going to try the bow too.
(b) He tells her that the suitors are not to touch his father's weapons.
(c) He thinks she's doing the right thing.
(d) He's going to try the bow, for if he can wield it, then she can marry whoever she wishes.
9. In Book 23, now that the fight with the suitors is over, what does Odysseus tell Telemachus to do?
(a) Gather the assembly and explain the events before others make decisions.
(b) Fortify the gates and brace for an attack.
(c) Take a ship to see Menelaus for aid.
(d) Wash, gather the others and act like there is a wedding feast.
10. Who lets the first spear fly when the mourners come to attack in Book 24?
11. Where did Menelaus get the gift he gave to Telemachus?
(a) From a king who sheltered him.
(b) From Troy as a spoil of war.
(c) From his wife as a wedding present.
(d) From an immortal when he was close to death.
12. How many suitors are spared in Book 22 before Eurycleia is summoned for cleaning the hall?
13. What time of day do Odysseus and the Phaecians set sail in Book 13?
(d) It doesn't say.
14. How is Odysseus, the old stranger, received by the swineherd in Book 14?
(a) With indifference - he's only going through the motions.
(b) With much hospitality despite his appearance.
(c) Poorly - the swineherd sets the dogs on him.
(d) With suspicion - strangers tell tall tales about Odysseus' whereabouts.
15. Who sets up the axes for the trial of the bow?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which reveler refuses to give anything to Odysseus the beggar, who has come to witness his first feast?
2. Who throws an ox-hoof at Odysseus the beggar?
3. Once Odysseus realizes he's in Ithaca, what does Athene advise him to do?
4. What is Penelope's reaction when she sees Odysseus for the first time after the slaughter of the suitors?
5. In Book 14, where does a disguised Odysseus tell Eumaeus he is from when asked?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)