|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 24, who tells the assembly that an immortal aided Odysseus?
2. Who interprets the sign of the eagle and the goose as Telemachus and Peisistratus are leaving Lacedaemon?
3. How does Eumaeus describe the suitors actions?
4. At his first feast in his own house, who throws a stool at Odysseus the beggar?
5. Among the suitors, who tried to use the bow first?
6. What ultimately exposes Odysseus' identity to Penelope?
(a) They have a secret code which they aggreed on before he left.
(b) His scar.
(c) His bed.
(d) He shows her the secret chamber.
7. What is Penelope's reaction when she sees Odysseus for the first time after the slaughter of the suitors?
(a) She looks at him with little reaction.
(b) She cries and falls into his arms.
(c) She ignores him.
(d) She coldly questions him.
8. Why doesn't Eumaeus want the old man to tell him tales of his master?
(a) Many travelers will tell tales for food and clothing.
(b) It doesn't look like he has the means to travel.
(c) He's been told not to speak Odysseus' name.
(d) He's convinced Odysseus is dead.
9. In Book 24, which of the suitors' shades tells the tale of their death to Agamemnon?
10. Who betrayed Penelope's loom of deceit?
(a) Her slave maids told the suitors after three years.
(b) She was caught by the suitors after five years.
(c) She was caught by the suitors in the fourth year.
(d) It took them two years, but they figured it out themselves.
11. How is Odysseus, the old stranger, received by the swineherd in Book 14?
(a) With indifference - he's only going through the motions.
(b) With much hospitality despite his appearance.
(c) With suspicion - strangers tell tall tales about Odysseus' whereabouts.
(d) Poorly - the swineherd sets the dogs on him.
12. What does Theoclymenus tell Penelope about the omen of the birds?
(a) He says that Odysseus is already there, biding his time.
(b) He says that Odysseus is in the hall now, amongst the suitors.
(c) He says that Odysseus won't make it home.
(d) He says that Odysseus will be home soon.
13. In Book 16, Where do Telemachus' gifts go?
(a) Odysseus' house.
(b) The farm.
(c) They were left on the ship.
(d) Clytius' house.
14. Why does Odysseus find sleep difficult in his home in Book 20?
(a) He's wondering how he is going to slay the suitors alone.
(b) He wishes to be in his marriage bed.
(c) He picked an uncomfortable spot to keep up his rouse.
(d) With the old body that Athene has given, he has many aches and pains.
15. What does Eupeithes seek at the assembly after the lords learn of the slaughter of the suitors?
(a) He wants revenge against Odysseus for his son, and the others lost to Odysseus.
(b) He wants the queen to be killed.
(c) He wants Odysseus to go into exile.
(d) He wants recompense for his son from Odysseus.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Odysseus tells Eumaeus his story in Book 14, how does he say he earns a living and makes a name for himself?
2. What sign does Odysseus give to his father so he believes that Odysseus has returned?
3. Who sets up the axes for the trial of the bow?
4. In addition to Odysseus and Penelope, who knew the secret of the bed?
5. Who gives Odysseus the bow that Penelope is using in her contest for the suitors?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)