|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At his first feast in his own house, who throws a stool at Odysseus the beggar?
2. Who throws an ox-hoof at Odysseus the beggar?
3. Who interprets the sign of the eagle and the goose as Telemachus and Peisistratus are leaving Lacedaemon?
4. Which suitor eases Penelope's fears for her son in Book 16?
5. Which suitor scorns Odysseus the beggar at the second feast which he attends, in Book 20?
6. According to Book 13, what else does Alcinous decide to give Odysseus once his tale is over?
(a) Some cattle.
(b) A cauldron and a large tripod.
(c) More garments.
(d) More gold.
7. When Eurymachus' negotiations fail, what plan do the suitors make to escape from Odysseus' palace alive?
(a) Everyone wants to be the leader, so they spend their time squabbling.
(b) They form a phalanx trying to protect themselves.
(c) Someone should try the back door and get into town.
(d) They want to attack all together then raise the alarm.
8. What will the winner of the beggars' fight in Book 18 get from the suitors?
(a) Shipped off to King Ecteus, who will cut his nose and ears.
(b) The goat paunch and always attend their feasts as the sole beggar.
(c) Fed for the week and given a new robe and tunic.
(d) To be the sole beggar of the house.
9. Who gives Odysseus the bow that Penelope is using in her contest for the suitors?
10. In addition to Odysseus and Penelope, who knew the secret of the bed?
11. How does Penelope test the truth of Odysseus the beggar's story regarding Odysseus?
(a) She asks him the month and year he visited with Odysseus.
(b) She asked what Odysseus' ship looked like.
(c) She asked the beggar at which games Odysseus excelled.
(d) She asks him to describe Odysseus' clothing, his person, and his companions.
12. What is Penelope's reaction when she sees Odysseus for the first time after the slaughter of the suitors?
(a) She coldly questions him.
(b) She looks at him with little reaction.
(c) She ignores him.
(d) She cries and falls into his arms.
13. What does Odysseus do during the voyage home in Book 13?
(a) Holds the rudder.
(c) Stands lookout.
(d) Takes to oar.
14. Why does Odysseus find sleep difficult in his home in Book 20?
(a) He wishes to be in his marriage bed.
(b) He picked an uncomfortable spot to keep up his rouse.
(c) He's wondering how he is going to slay the suitors alone.
(d) With the old body that Athene has given, he has many aches and pains.
15. Where is Telemachus supposed to put all the fighting gear that lies about Odysseus' hall?
(a) He's not to touch it, because it will arouse suspicion.
(b) In his mother's room.
(c) In a storage room.
(d) In a corner of the lofty chamber.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eumaeus describe the suitors actions?
2. How does Eurycleia recognize Odysseus the beggar as Odysseus in Book 19?
3. What caused Telemachus to disband the feast after the fight of Irus and Odysseus the beggar?
4. Why are there so few boars among Odysseus' swine in Book 14?
5. What time of day do Odysseus and the Phaecians set sail in Book 13?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)