|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name Odysseus the beggar gives as his own in Book 19?
2. Why are there so few boars among Odysseus' swine in Book 14?
(a) The suitors feast upon them.
(b) The suitors use them for hunting games.
(c) You only need a few to maintain the numbers.
(d) They keep running off.
3. Who interprets the sign of the eagle and the goose as Telemachus and Peisistratus are leaving Lacedaemon?
4. What makes Irus nervous about his fight with Odysseus the beggar?
(a) Irus sees his muscular chest.
(b) The suitors have threatened to drag him out by his feet if he loses.
(c) The old man has muscular thighs.
(d) Athene sends a cold wind to give him a chill.
5. Who sets up the axes for the trial of the bow?
6. How does Eumaeus describe the suitors actions?
7. How many suitors are spared in Book 22 before Eurycleia is summoned for cleaning the hall?
8. Among the suitors, who tried to use the bow first?
9. Who gives Odysseus the bow that Penelope is using in her contest for the suitors?
10. Who throws an ox-hoof at Odysseus the beggar?
11. Who betrayed Penelope's loom of deceit?
(a) She was caught by the suitors after five years.
(b) Her slave maids told the suitors after three years.
(c) She was caught by the suitors in the fourth year.
(d) It took them two years, but they figured it out themselves.
12. How does Penelope initially react to Eurycleia's news about Odysseus and the suitors?
(a) She cries for shame.
(b) She hits her.
(c) She doesn't believe her.
(d) She runs out to see.
13. After the first suitor fails to string the bow, what does he recommend?
(a) They should pray to Apollo.
(b) They should warm up the bow by the fire.
(c) They should postpone the contest.
(d) Each man who fails should try for another woman.
14. Where did Menelaus get the gift he gave to Telemachus?
(a) From an immortal when he was close to death.
(b) From Troy as a spoil of war.
(c) From his wife as a wedding present.
(d) From a king who sheltered him.
15. In Book 16, Where do Telemachus' gifts go?
(a) They were left on the ship.
(b) The farm.
(c) Odysseus' house.
(d) Clytius' house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day do Odysseus and the Phaecians set sail in Book 13?
2. Which suitor scorns Odysseus the beggar at the second feast which he attends, in Book 20?
3. Who does Telemachus first slay among the suitors during the battle in the hall?
4. Once Odysseus realizes he's in Ithaca, what does Athene advise him to do?
5. How does Telemachus react to his mother's contest in Book 21?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)