|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does Helen give to Telemachus as he is preparing to leave Lacedaemon?
(a) A beautiful embroidered robe for his future bride.
(b) The text never describes her gift.
(c) Goblets of silver to use at his wedding feast.
(d) A jewel that sparkled like a star.
2. What test does Odysseus give his son in Book 16?
(a) Odysseus has instructed Telemachus to find the loyal servants of the house.
(b) Odysseus is waiting to see how his son fares in combat.
(c) Odysseus wants to see if Telemachus can follow the plan.
(d) He is not to tell a soul that Odysseus has returned to Ithaca alive and well.
3. What is Penelope's reaction when she sees Odysseus for the first time after the slaughter of the suitors?
(a) She looks at him with little reaction.
(b) She ignores him.
(c) She coldly questions him.
(d) She cries and falls into his arms.
4. Who tries to help the suitors in Book 22 by grabbing the armor and weapons?
(a) Some slave maids.
5. Where did Menelaus get the gift he gave to Telemachus?
(a) From Troy as a spoil of war.
(b) From his wife as a wedding present.
(c) From an immortal when he was close to death.
(d) From a king who sheltered him.
6. When Odysseus is on land after his voyage from Scheria, why doesn't he know where he is?
(a) He's been gone too long.
(b) The Phaecians brought him to another island.
(c) He is unfamiliar with this part of Ithaca.
(d) Athene has spread a cloud, obscurring him.
7. Why are there so few boars among Odysseus' swine in Book 14?
(a) The suitors use them for hunting games.
(b) They keep running off.
(c) You only need a few to maintain the numbers.
(d) The suitors feast upon them.
8. How does Odysseus' goatherd, Melanthius, treat Odysseus the beggar and Eumaeus?
(a) He is rude and unkind.
(b) He is suspicious.
(c) He ignored them.
(d) He was happy to see the swineherd and interested in Odysseus.
9. Why doesn't Telemachus want his treasures taken to his house?
(a) He doesn't want the suitors to see them.
(b) He's unsure about the situation with the suitors.
(c) He doesn't want his mother to see them.
(d) He's decided that Peiraeus has earned them.
10. Who throws an ox-hoof at Odysseus the beggar?
11. How does Penelope test the truth of Odysseus the beggar's story regarding Odysseus?
(a) She asks him the month and year he visited with Odysseus.
(b) She asked what Odysseus' ship looked like.
(c) She asked the beggar at which games Odysseus excelled.
(d) She asks him to describe Odysseus' clothing, his person, and his companions.
12. In Book 19, what does Odysseus the beggar tell Penelope has kept Odysseus away so long?
(a) He's had a difficult passage.
(b) He couldn't find a ship to bring him to Ithaca.
(c) He's gone to the oracle.
(d) He's been gathering treasure.
13. How does Eumaeus describe the suitors actions?
14. Which reveler refuses to give anything to Odysseus the beggar, who has come to witness his first feast?
15. What is the name Odysseus the beggar gives as his own in Book 19?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 24, who tells the assembly that an immortal aided Odysseus?
2. What does Odysseus do during the voyage home in Book 13?
3. In Book 14, where does a disguised Odysseus tell Eumaeus he is from when asked?
4. To whom does Odysseus pray the next morning after speaking with Penelope alone, looking for a sign?
5. Who sets up the axes for the trial of the bow?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)