|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sets up the axes for the trial of the bow?
2. With whom was Eumaeus raised?
3. What ultimately exposes Odysseus' identity to Penelope?
(a) They have a secret code which they aggreed on before he left.
(b) His bed.
(c) He shows her the secret chamber.
(d) His scar.
4. How does Eumaeus describe the suitors actions?
5. Since Telemachus dismissed the serving women, how is he able to move the armor in the dark in Book 19?
(a) They light torches along the hallway.
(b) Odysseus the beggar carries a torch.
(c) Eurycleia helps them out.
(d) Athene holds a golden lamp in front of them.
6. Who betrayed Penelope's loom of deceit?
(a) She was caught by the suitors in the fourth year.
(b) It took them two years, but they figured it out themselves.
(c) She was caught by the suitors after five years.
(d) Her slave maids told the suitors after three years.
7. Who interprets the sign of the eagle and the goose as Telemachus and Peisistratus are leaving Lacedaemon?
8. According to Book 13, what else does Alcinous decide to give Odysseus once his tale is over?
(a) More gold.
(b) A cauldron and a large tripod.
(c) More garments.
(d) Some cattle.
9. As Odysseus tells Eumaeus his story in Book 14, how does he say he earns a living and makes a name for himself?
(a) As a priest.
(b) As a soldier.
(c) As a scholar.
(d) As a pirate.
10. How does Penelope initially react to Eurycleia's news about Odysseus and the suitors?
(a) She runs out to see.
(b) She cries for shame.
(c) She hits her.
(d) She doesn't believe her.
11. How does Penelope test the truth of Odysseus the beggar's story regarding Odysseus?
(a) She asked the beggar at which games Odysseus excelled.
(b) She asks him the month and year he visited with Odysseus.
(c) She asked what Odysseus' ship looked like.
(d) She asks him to describe Odysseus' clothing, his person, and his companions.
12. To whom does Odysseus pray the next morning after speaking with Penelope alone, looking for a sign?
13. What gift does Menelaus give to Telemachus as they part company in Book 15?
(a) A well-wrought bowl made by Hephaestus.
(b) A tapestry woven by Athena.
(c) A cauldron used by the oracles.
(d) A pair of mules.
14. Why does Odysseus find sleep difficult in his home in Book 20?
(a) He's wondering how he is going to slay the suitors alone.
(b) He wishes to be in his marriage bed.
(c) He picked an uncomfortable spot to keep up his rouse.
(d) With the old body that Athene has given, he has many aches and pains.
15. In Book 24, which of the suitors' shades tells the tale of their death to Agamemnon?
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to Odysseus and Penelope, who knew the secret of the bed?
2. What test does Odysseus give his son in Book 16?
3. Which reveler refuses to give anything to Odysseus the beggar, who has come to witness his first feast?
4. Who lets the first spear fly when the mourners come to attack in Book 24?
5. In Book 19, what does Odysseus the beggar tell Penelope has kept Odysseus away so long?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)