|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Telemachus want his treasures taken to his house?
(a) He's unsure about the situation with the suitors.
(b) He's decided that Peiraeus has earned them.
(c) He doesn't want his mother to see them.
(d) He doesn't want the suitors to see them.
2. What gift does Helen give to Telemachus as he is preparing to leave Lacedaemon?
(a) A jewel that sparkled like a star.
(b) A beautiful embroidered robe for his future bride.
(c) The text never describes her gift.
(d) Goblets of silver to use at his wedding feast.
3. As Odysseus tells Eumaeus his story in Book 14, how does he say he earns a living and makes a name for himself?
(a) As a pirate.
(b) As a priest.
(c) As a soldier.
(d) As a scholar.
4. How does Telemachus react to his mother's contest in Book 21?
(a) He tells her that the suitors are not to touch his father's weapons.
(b) He's going to try the bow too.
(c) He thinks she's doing the right thing.
(d) He's going to try the bow, for if he can wield it, then she can marry whoever she wishes.
5. Who interprets the sign of the eagle and the goose as Telemachus and Peisistratus are leaving Lacedaemon?
6. What caused Telemachus to disband the feast after the fight of Irus and Odysseus the beggar?
(a) The food has run out for the evening.
(b) Eurymachus abused a servant.
(c) Eurymachus throws a stool at Odysseus the beggar.
(d) The suitors started fighting among themselves.
7. What is Penelope's reaction when she sees Odysseus for the first time after the slaughter of the suitors?
(a) She ignores him.
(b) She cries and falls into his arms.
(c) She looks at him with little reaction.
(d) She coldly questions him.
8. Who gives Odysseus the bow that Penelope is using in her contest for the suitors?
9. According to Book 13, what else does Alcinous decide to give Odysseus once his tale is over?
(a) More gold.
(b) More garments.
(c) A cauldron and a large tripod.
(d) Some cattle.
10. Which suitor scorns Odysseus the beggar at the second feast which he attends, in Book 20?
11. In Book 24, In the halls of the dead, what were the heroes' shades discussing?
(a) Their great deeds in life.
(b) The funeral of Achilles.
(c) The fate of Odysseus.
(d) The funeral of Agamemnon.
12. Who sets up the axes for the trial of the bow?
13. How does Eumaeus greet Telemachus upon his return in Book 16?
(a) Like an employee who loves his boss.
(b) Like a father to a long lost son.
(c) Like a brother.
(d) Like a mentor to a prodigy.
14. What will the winner of the beggars' fight in Book 18 get from the suitors?
(a) The goat paunch and always attend their feasts as the sole beggar.
(b) Fed for the week and given a new robe and tunic.
(c) Shipped off to King Ecteus, who will cut his nose and ears.
(d) To be the sole beggar of the house.
15. Why are there so few boars among Odysseus' swine in Book 14?
(a) The suitors feast upon them.
(b) The suitors use them for hunting games.
(c) You only need a few to maintain the numbers.
(d) They keep running off.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Eumaeus want the old man to tell him tales of his master?
2. Among the suitors, who tried to use the bow first?
3. Where is Odysseus going in the morning in Book 23, the day after the battle with the suitors?
4. In Book 14, where does a disguised Odysseus tell Eumaeus he is from when asked?
5. Since Telemachus dismissed the serving women, how is he able to move the armor in the dark in Book 19?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)