|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Telemachus react to his mother's contest in Book 21?
(a) He's going to try the bow, for if he can wield it, then she can marry whoever she wishes.
(b) He thinks she's doing the right thing.
(c) He's going to try the bow too.
(d) He tells her that the suitors are not to touch his father's weapons.
2. What does Theoclymenus tell Penelope about the omen of the birds?
(a) He says that Odysseus won't make it home.
(b) He says that Odysseus will be home soon.
(c) He says that Odysseus is in the hall now, amongst the suitors.
(d) He says that Odysseus is already there, biding his time.
3. In addition to Odysseus and Penelope, who knew the secret of the bed?
4. What caused Telemachus to disband the feast after the fight of Irus and Odysseus the beggar?
(a) The suitors started fighting among themselves.
(b) Eurymachus abused a servant.
(c) The food has run out for the evening.
(d) Eurymachus throws a stool at Odysseus the beggar.
5. What will the winner of the beggars' fight in Book 18 get from the suitors?
(a) The goat paunch and always attend their feasts as the sole beggar.
(b) Shipped off to King Ecteus, who will cut his nose and ears.
(c) Fed for the week and given a new robe and tunic.
(d) To be the sole beggar of the house.
6. Why does Odysseus the beggar say he wants the bow after the suitors have all tried to use it?
(a) He wants the suitors to warm it up for him.
(b) He wants to see how much strength he has left.
(c) He wants to prove himself worthy of their mercy.
(d) He wants to try for the lady.
7. Which reveler refuses to give anything to Odysseus the beggar, who has come to witness his first feast?
8. At his first feast in his own house, who throws a stool at Odysseus the beggar?
9. To whom does Odysseus pray the next morning after speaking with Penelope alone, looking for a sign?
10. Which suitor scorns Odysseus the beggar at the second feast which he attends, in Book 20?
11. Since Telemachus dismissed the serving women, how is he able to move the armor in the dark in Book 19?
(a) Eurycleia helps them out.
(b) Odysseus the beggar carries a torch.
(c) They light torches along the hallway.
(d) Athene holds a golden lamp in front of them.
12. How does Odysseus' goatherd, Melanthius, treat Odysseus the beggar and Eumaeus?
(a) He was happy to see the swineherd and interested in Odysseus.
(b) He is rude and unkind.
(c) He is suspicious.
(d) He ignored them.
13. How does the shepherd from the mainland treat Odysseus the beggar when he first meets him at the palace courtyard?
(a) He treats the beggar rudely.
(b) He shows the beggar honor and respect.
(c) He greets him.
(d) He ignores him completely.
14. Why doesn't Eumaeus want the old man to tell him tales of his master?
(a) He's convinced Odysseus is dead.
(b) He's been told not to speak Odysseus' name.
(c) Many travelers will tell tales for food and clothing.
(d) It doesn't look like he has the means to travel.
15. What gift does Menelaus give to Telemachus as they part company in Book 15?
(a) A tapestry woven by Athena.
(b) A well-wrought bowl made by Hephaestus.
(c) A cauldron used by the oracles.
(d) A pair of mules.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 22, which suitor is killed first?
2. Among the suitors, who tried to use the bow first?
3. How is Odysseus, the old stranger, received by the swineherd in Book 14?
4. In Book 16, Where do Telemachus' gifts go?
5. When Odysseus is on land after his voyage from Scheria, why doesn't he know where he is?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)