|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to Odysseus and Penelope, who knew the secret of the bed?
2. What makes Irus nervous about his fight with Odysseus the beggar?
(a) The old man has muscular thighs.
(b) Athene sends a cold wind to give him a chill.
(c) The suitors have threatened to drag him out by his feet if he loses.
(d) Irus sees his muscular chest.
3. Why are there so few boars among Odysseus' swine in Book 14?
(a) The suitors feast upon them.
(b) They keep running off.
(c) You only need a few to maintain the numbers.
(d) The suitors use them for hunting games.
4. When Odysseus is on land after his voyage from Scheria, why doesn't he know where he is?
(a) Athene has spread a cloud, obscurring him.
(b) He's been gone too long.
(c) The Phaecians brought him to another island.
(d) He is unfamiliar with this part of Ithaca.
5. In Book 24, which of the suitors' shades tells the tale of their death to Agamemnon?
6. Who lets the first spear fly when the mourners come to attack in Book 24?
7. How do the suitors view the fight between the two beggars in Book 18?
(a) They don't really care about the fight.
(b) They think the beggars show their worth behaving in such a manner.
(c) They think it is the best entertainment that they've had.
(d) They think the beggars are disgusting, but they can't stop watching it.
8. What gift does Menelaus give to Telemachus as they part company in Book 15?
(a) A pair of mules.
(b) A tapestry woven by Athena.
(c) A well-wrought bowl made by Hephaestus.
(d) A cauldron used by the oracles.
9. After the first suitor fails to string the bow, what does he recommend?
(a) Each man who fails should try for another woman.
(b) They should postpone the contest.
(c) They should pray to Apollo.
(d) They should warm up the bow by the fire.
10. Why doesn't Telemachus want his treasures taken to his house?
(a) He doesn't want the suitors to see them.
(b) He doesn't want his mother to see them.
(c) He's decided that Peiraeus has earned them.
(d) He's unsure about the situation with the suitors.
11. In Book 24, who tells the assembly that an immortal aided Odysseus?
12. In Book 19, what does Odysseus the beggar tell Penelope has kept Odysseus away so long?
(a) He's gone to the oracle.
(b) He's had a difficult passage.
(c) He couldn't find a ship to bring him to Ithaca.
(d) He's been gathering treasure.
13. What is Penelope's reaction when she sees Odysseus for the first time after the slaughter of the suitors?
(a) She coldly questions him.
(b) She looks at him with little reaction.
(c) She cries and falls into his arms.
(d) She ignores him.
14. As Odysseus tells Eumaeus his story in Book 14, how does he say he earns a living and makes a name for himself?
(a) As a scholar.
(b) As a priest.
(c) As a soldier.
(d) As a pirate.
15. How does Eurycleia recognize Odysseus the beggar as Odysseus in Book 19?
(a) She recognizes his voice.
(b) She feels his scar when when she washes his feet.
(c) She recognizes his style of speech.
(d) She notices his birthmark.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Odysseus going in the morning in Book 23, the day after the battle with the suitors?
2. How does Penelope test the truth of Odysseus the beggar's story regarding Odysseus?
3. Who does Telemachus first slay among the suitors during the battle in the hall?
4. Among the suitors, who tried to use the bow first?
5. To whom does Odysseus pray the next morning after speaking with Penelope alone, looking for a sign?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)