|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Telemachus skeptical that he and Odysseus can handle the suitors without help?
(a) There are more than 100 suitors haunting their halls.
(b) Odysseus isn't as young as he used to be.
(c) Odysseus has suffered for many years and it's taken a toll on his body.
(d) Telemachus is untried in battle.
2. Why doesn't Eumaeus want the old man to tell him tales of his master?
(a) It doesn't look like he has the means to travel.
(b) He's been told not to speak Odysseus' name.
(c) Many travelers will tell tales for food and clothing.
(d) He's convinced Odysseus is dead.
3. Where is Telemachus supposed to put all the fighting gear that lies about Odysseus' hall?
(a) In his mother's room.
(b) In a corner of the lofty chamber.
(c) In a storage room.
(d) He's not to touch it, because it will arouse suspicion.
4. Why does Odysseus find sleep difficult in his home in Book 20?
(a) With the old body that Athene has given, he has many aches and pains.
(b) He picked an uncomfortable spot to keep up his rouse.
(c) He's wondering how he is going to slay the suitors alone.
(d) He wishes to be in his marriage bed.
5. In Book 24, In the halls of the dead, what were the heroes' shades discussing?
(a) The funeral of Agamemnon.
(b) The fate of Odysseus.
(c) The funeral of Achilles.
(d) Their great deeds in life.
6. What time of day do Odysseus and the Phaecians set sail in Book 13?
(b) It doesn't say.
7. What ultimately exposes Odysseus' identity to Penelope?
(a) They have a secret code which they aggreed on before he left.
(b) His scar.
(c) His bed.
(d) He shows her the secret chamber.
8. How many suitors are spared in Book 22 before Eurycleia is summoned for cleaning the hall?
9. Since Telemachus dismissed the serving women, how is he able to move the armor in the dark in Book 19?
(a) Athene holds a golden lamp in front of them.
(b) They light torches along the hallway.
(c) Eurycleia helps them out.
(d) Odysseus the beggar carries a torch.
10. How does Eumaeus describe the suitors actions?
11. According to Book 13, what else does Alcinous decide to give Odysseus once his tale is over?
(a) Some cattle.
(b) More garments.
(c) More gold.
(d) A cauldron and a large tripod.
12. How is Odysseus, the old stranger, received by the swineherd in Book 14?
(a) With suspicion - strangers tell tall tales about Odysseus' whereabouts.
(b) With much hospitality despite his appearance.
(c) With indifference - he's only going through the motions.
(d) Poorly - the swineherd sets the dogs on him.
13. In Book 19, what does Odysseus the beggar tell Penelope has kept Odysseus away so long?
(a) He's gone to the oracle.
(b) He couldn't find a ship to bring him to Ithaca.
(c) He's been gathering treasure.
(d) He's had a difficult passage.
14. Among the suitors, who tried to use the bow first?
15. Which suitor has a "bad feeling" after Odysseus the beggar tries to warn him of impending danger in Book 18?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Penelope initially react to Eurycleia's news about Odysseus and the suitors?
2. In Book 14, where does a disguised Odysseus tell Eumaeus he is from when asked?
3. What caused Telemachus to disband the feast after the fight of Irus and Odysseus the beggar?
4. When Odysseus is on land after his voyage from Scheria, why doesn't he know where he is?
5. How does the shepherd from the mainland treat Odysseus the beggar when he first meets him at the palace courtyard?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)