|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Odysseus, the old stranger, received by the swineherd in Book 14?
(a) With much hospitality despite his appearance.
(b) With suspicion - strangers tell tall tales about Odysseus' whereabouts.
(c) With indifference - he's only going through the motions.
(d) Poorly - the swineherd sets the dogs on him.
2. As Odysseus tells Eumaeus his story in Book 14, how does he say he earns a living and makes a name for himself?
(a) As a priest.
(b) As a pirate.
(c) As a scholar.
(d) As a soldier.
3. Which suitor has a "bad feeling" after Odysseus the beggar tries to warn him of impending danger in Book 18?
4. Where is Odysseus going in the morning in Book 23, the day after the battle with the suitors?
(a) To the farm.
(b) To complete is quest to make peace with Poseidon.
(c) To the mountains.
(d) To his cave for his treasures.
5. Which suitor eases Penelope's fears for her son in Book 16?
6. Who does Telemachus first slay among the suitors during the battle in the hall?
7. What does Eurymachus offer Odysseus in Book 22 from the remaining suitors to make amends for their behavior at his house for so long?
(a) Some cattle and some servants.
(b) All of their personal wealth and that of their families.
(c) Twenty oxen and bronze and gold.
(d) Cattle, meal, and golden cups.
8. What gift does Helen give to Telemachus as he is preparing to leave Lacedaemon?
(a) Goblets of silver to use at his wedding feast.
(b) A jewel that sparkled like a star.
(c) A beautiful embroidered robe for his future bride.
(d) The text never describes her gift.
9. How does Penelope initially react to Eurycleia's news about Odysseus and the suitors?
(a) She runs out to see.
(b) She hits her.
(c) She cries for shame.
(d) She doesn't believe her.
10. When Eurymachus' negotiations fail, what plan do the suitors make to escape from Odysseus' palace alive?
(a) Everyone wants to be the leader, so they spend their time squabbling.
(b) They want to attack all together then raise the alarm.
(c) They form a phalanx trying to protect themselves.
(d) Someone should try the back door and get into town.
11. Which suitor scorns Odysseus the beggar at the second feast which he attends, in Book 20?
12. According to Penelope, when did Odysseus say it was acceptable for her to remarry?
(a) When Laertes dies.
(b) When 21 years have passed.
(c) When Telemachus is a bearded man.
(d) After Telemachus gets married.
13. Why doesn't Telemachus want his treasures taken to his house?
(a) He's unsure about the situation with the suitors.
(b) He's decided that Peiraeus has earned them.
(c) He doesn't want his mother to see them.
(d) He doesn't want the suitors to see them.
14. What test does Odysseus give his son in Book 16?
(a) Odysseus wants to see if Telemachus can follow the plan.
(b) Odysseus is waiting to see how his son fares in combat.
(c) He is not to tell a soul that Odysseus has returned to Ithaca alive and well.
(d) Odysseus has instructed Telemachus to find the loyal servants of the house.
15. In Book 24, In the halls of the dead, what were the heroes' shades discussing?
(a) Their great deeds in life.
(b) The funeral of Agamemnon.
(c) The fate of Odysseus.
(d) The funeral of Achilles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Menelaus give to Telemachus as they part company in Book 15?
2. What does Eupeithes seek at the assembly after the lords learn of the slaughter of the suitors?
3. According to Book 13, what else does Alcinous decide to give Odysseus once his tale is over?
4. Where did Menelaus get the gift he gave to Telemachus?
5. What sign does Odysseus give to his father so he believes that Odysseus has returned?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)