|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ultimately exposes Odysseus' identity to Penelope?
(a) His bed.
(b) His scar.
(c) He shows her the secret chamber.
(d) They have a secret code which they aggreed on before he left.
2. How does Athene disguise Odysseus on Ithaca?
(a) She makes him look old and dresses him in smelly rags.
(b) She makes him change his clothes and wear a mask.
(c) She just changes his eyes and hair.
(d) She makes him look like Telemachus, since Telemachus in still in Sparta.
3. As Odysseus tells Eumaeus his story in Book 14, how does he say he earns a living and makes a name for himself?
(a) As a priest.
(b) As a scholar.
(c) As a soldier.
(d) As a pirate.
4. In addition to Odysseus and Penelope, who knew the secret of the bed?
5. How does the shepherd from the mainland treat Odysseus the beggar when he first meets him at the palace courtyard?
(a) He greets him.
(b) He ignores him completely.
(c) He treats the beggar rudely.
(d) He shows the beggar honor and respect.
6. What time of day do Odysseus and the Phaecians set sail in Book 13?
(c) It doesn't say.
7. What is Penelope's reaction when she sees Odysseus for the first time after the slaughter of the suitors?
(a) She cries and falls into his arms.
(b) She ignores him.
(c) She coldly questions him.
(d) She looks at him with little reaction.
8. What gift does Helen give to Telemachus as he is preparing to leave Lacedaemon?
(a) Goblets of silver to use at his wedding feast.
(b) A jewel that sparkled like a star.
(c) The text never describes her gift.
(d) A beautiful embroidered robe for his future bride.
9. How does Telemachus react to his mother's contest in Book 21?
(a) He thinks she's doing the right thing.
(b) He tells her that the suitors are not to touch his father's weapons.
(c) He's going to try the bow, for if he can wield it, then she can marry whoever she wishes.
(d) He's going to try the bow too.
10. Since Telemachus dismissed the serving women, how is he able to move the armor in the dark in Book 19?
(a) Eurycleia helps them out.
(b) Odysseus the beggar carries a torch.
(c) Athene holds a golden lamp in front of them.
(d) They light torches along the hallway.
11. Who lets the first spear fly when the mourners come to attack in Book 24?
12. In Book 19, what does Odysseus the beggar tell Penelope has kept Odysseus away so long?
(a) He's gone to the oracle.
(b) He's been gathering treasure.
(c) He's had a difficult passage.
(d) He couldn't find a ship to bring him to Ithaca.
13. Why is Telemachus skeptical that he and Odysseus can handle the suitors without help?
(a) Odysseus has suffered for many years and it's taken a toll on his body.
(b) There are more than 100 suitors haunting their halls.
(c) Odysseus isn't as young as he used to be.
(d) Telemachus is untried in battle.
14. What does Theoclymenus tell Penelope about the omen of the birds?
(a) He says that Odysseus is already there, biding his time.
(b) He says that Odysseus will be home soon.
(c) He says that Odysseus won't make it home.
(d) He says that Odysseus is in the hall now, amongst the suitors.
15. Why doesn't Eumaeus want the old man to tell him tales of his master?
(a) He's been told not to speak Odysseus' name.
(b) He's convinced Odysseus is dead.
(c) Many travelers will tell tales for food and clothing.
(d) It doesn't look like he has the means to travel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eurymachus offer Odysseus in Book 22 from the remaining suitors to make amends for their behavior at his house for so long?
2. Who tries to help the suitors in Book 22 by grabbing the armor and weapons?
3. Where is Odysseus going in the morning in Book 23, the day after the battle with the suitors?
4. Where did Menelaus get the gift he gave to Telemachus?
5. How is Odysseus, the old stranger, received by the swineherd in Book 14?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)