|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who lets the first spear fly when the mourners come to attack in Book 24?
2. How does Eumaeus greet Telemachus upon his return in Book 16?
(a) Like a brother.
(b) Like a mentor to a prodigy.
(c) Like a father to a long lost son.
(d) Like an employee who loves his boss.
3. What gift does Helen give to Telemachus as he is preparing to leave Lacedaemon?
(a) Goblets of silver to use at his wedding feast.
(b) A beautiful embroidered robe for his future bride.
(c) The text never describes her gift.
(d) A jewel that sparkled like a star.
4. What does Eurymachus offer Odysseus in Book 22 from the remaining suitors to make amends for their behavior at his house for so long?
(a) Cattle, meal, and golden cups.
(b) Some cattle and some servants.
(c) All of their personal wealth and that of their families.
(d) Twenty oxen and bronze and gold.
5. With whom was Eumaeus raised?
6. Who gives Odysseus the bow that Penelope is using in her contest for the suitors?
7. In Book 19, what does Odysseus the beggar tell Penelope has kept Odysseus away so long?
(a) He's been gathering treasure.
(b) He's had a difficult passage.
(c) He couldn't find a ship to bring him to Ithaca.
(d) He's gone to the oracle.
8. Why are there so few boars among Odysseus' swine in Book 14?
(a) The suitors use them for hunting games.
(b) They keep running off.
(c) You only need a few to maintain the numbers.
(d) The suitors feast upon them.
9. What test does Odysseus give his son in Book 16?
(a) Odysseus wants to see if Telemachus can follow the plan.
(b) Odysseus is waiting to see how his son fares in combat.
(c) He is not to tell a soul that Odysseus has returned to Ithaca alive and well.
(d) Odysseus has instructed Telemachus to find the loyal servants of the house.
10. When Odysseus is on land after his voyage from Scheria, why doesn't he know where he is?
(a) He is unfamiliar with this part of Ithaca.
(b) He's been gone too long.
(c) Athene has spread a cloud, obscurring him.
(d) The Phaecians brought him to another island.
11. Which reveler refuses to give anything to Odysseus the beggar, who has come to witness his first feast?
12. Why does Telemachus take Theoclymenus on his ship home?
(a) Telemachus realizes he needs all the allies he can get in Ithaca.
(b) Theoclymenus is fleeing from punishment.
(c) Theoclymenus pays him.
(d) Athena tells him to take the murderer.
13. How does the shepherd from the mainland treat Odysseus the beggar when he first meets him at the palace courtyard?
(a) He shows the beggar honor and respect.
(b) He ignores him completely.
(c) He treats the beggar rudely.
(d) He greets him.
14. According to Book 13, what else does Alcinous decide to give Odysseus once his tale is over?
(a) More garments.
(b) Some cattle.
(c) More gold.
(d) A cauldron and a large tripod.
15. What makes Irus nervous about his fight with Odysseus the beggar?
(a) The suitors have threatened to drag him out by his feet if he loses.
(b) Irus sees his muscular chest.
(c) Athene sends a cold wind to give him a chill.
(d) The old man has muscular thighs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sign does Odysseus give to his father so he believes that Odysseus has returned?
2. Which suitor scorns Odysseus the beggar at the second feast which he attends, in Book 20?
3. Since Telemachus dismissed the serving women, how is he able to move the armor in the dark in Book 19?
4. What does Eupeithes seek at the assembly after the lords learn of the slaughter of the suitors?
5. Why doesn't Eumaeus want the old man to tell him tales of his master?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)