|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Eumaeus describe the suitors actions?
2. How many suitors are spared in Book 22 before Eurycleia is summoned for cleaning the hall?
3. Who sets up the axes for the trial of the bow?
4. What does Eurymachus offer Odysseus in Book 22 from the remaining suitors to make amends for their behavior at his house for so long?
(a) All of their personal wealth and that of their families.
(b) Twenty oxen and bronze and gold.
(c) Cattle, meal, and golden cups.
(d) Some cattle and some servants.
5. How does Athene disguise Odysseus on Ithaca?
(a) She makes him look old and dresses him in smelly rags.
(b) She makes him look like Telemachus, since Telemachus in still in Sparta.
(c) She makes him change his clothes and wear a mask.
(d) She just changes his eyes and hair.
6. What time of day do Odysseus and the Phaecians set sail in Book 13?
(b) It doesn't say.
7. After the first suitor fails to string the bow, what does he recommend?
(a) They should warm up the bow by the fire.
(b) Each man who fails should try for another woman.
(c) They should postpone the contest.
(d) They should pray to Apollo.
8. Where is Telemachus supposed to put all the fighting gear that lies about Odysseus' hall?
(a) He's not to touch it, because it will arouse suspicion.
(b) In a storage room.
(c) In a corner of the lofty chamber.
(d) In his mother's room.
9. Why doesn't Telemachus want his treasures taken to his house?
(a) He doesn't want the suitors to see them.
(b) He's unsure about the situation with the suitors.
(c) He's decided that Peiraeus has earned them.
(d) He doesn't want his mother to see them.
10. How does Telemachus react to his mother's contest in Book 21?
(a) He thinks she's doing the right thing.
(b) He tells her that the suitors are not to touch his father's weapons.
(c) He's going to try the bow, for if he can wield it, then she can marry whoever she wishes.
(d) He's going to try the bow too.
11. What does Odysseus do during the voyage home in Book 13?
(a) Stands lookout.
(b) Takes to oar.
(d) Holds the rudder.
12. Who does Telemachus first slay among the suitors during the battle in the hall?
13. Who lets the first spear fly when the mourners come to attack in Book 24?
14. What does Theoclymenus tell Penelope about the omen of the birds?
(a) He says that Odysseus will be home soon.
(b) He says that Odysseus is already there, biding his time.
(c) He says that Odysseus won't make it home.
(d) He says that Odysseus is in the hall now, amongst the suitors.
15. How does Odysseus' goatherd, Melanthius, treat Odysseus the beggar and Eumaeus?
(a) He ignored them.
(b) He is suspicious.
(c) He is rude and unkind.
(d) He was happy to see the swineherd and interested in Odysseus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Odysseus find sleep difficult in his home in Book 20?
2. What ultimately exposes Odysseus' identity to Penelope?
3. In addition to Odysseus and Penelope, who knew the secret of the bed?
4. How does Penelope test the truth of Odysseus the beggar's story regarding Odysseus?
5. How does Eumaeus greet Telemachus upon his return in Book 16?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)