|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 19, what does Odysseus the beggar tell Penelope has kept Odysseus away so long?
(a) He's gone to the oracle.
(b) He's had a difficult passage.
(c) He couldn't find a ship to bring him to Ithaca.
(d) He's been gathering treasure.
2. How does Telemachus react to his mother's contest in Book 21?
(a) He tells her that the suitors are not to touch his father's weapons.
(b) He thinks she's doing the right thing.
(c) He's going to try the bow too.
(d) He's going to try the bow, for if he can wield it, then she can marry whoever she wishes.
3. Which suitor eases Penelope's fears for her son in Book 16?
4. When Odysseus is on land after his voyage from Scheria, why doesn't he know where he is?
(a) Athene has spread a cloud, obscurring him.
(b) He's been gone too long.
(c) He is unfamiliar with this part of Ithaca.
(d) The Phaecians brought him to another island.
5. In Book 22, which suitor is killed first?
6. What is Penelope's reaction when she sees Odysseus for the first time after the slaughter of the suitors?
(a) She looks at him with little reaction.
(b) She ignores him.
(c) She coldly questions him.
(d) She cries and falls into his arms.
7. What does Odysseus do during the voyage home in Book 13?
(a) Holds the rudder.
(b) Takes to oar.
(c) Stands lookout.
8. For what does Penelope pray after speaking with Odysseus the beggar in Book 20?
(a) She prays for the suitors to die.
(b) She prays for Odysseus to return.
(c) She prays for a good husband.
(d) She wishes to die.
9. How does Eumaeus describe the suitors actions?
10. Who interprets the sign of the eagle and the goose as Telemachus and Peisistratus are leaving Lacedaemon?
11. What sign does Odysseus give to his father so he believes that Odysseus has returned?
(a) He tells him about his mother in the underworld.
(b) He tells him about the bed in the palace.
(c) He tells him the number and type of trees growing in the vineyard.
(d) He tells him about his scar.
12. What does Eupeithes seek at the assembly after the lords learn of the slaughter of the suitors?
(a) He wants Odysseus to go into exile.
(b) He wants the queen to be killed.
(c) He wants recompense for his son from Odysseus.
(d) He wants revenge against Odysseus for his son, and the others lost to Odysseus.
13. Which reveler refuses to give anything to Odysseus the beggar, who has come to witness his first feast?
14. What will the winner of the beggars' fight in Book 18 get from the suitors?
(a) Fed for the week and given a new robe and tunic.
(b) The goat paunch and always attend their feasts as the sole beggar.
(c) To be the sole beggar of the house.
(d) Shipped off to King Ecteus, who will cut his nose and ears.
15. What time of day do Odysseus and the Phaecians set sail in Book 13?
(c) It doesn't say.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Penelope test the truth of Odysseus the beggar's story regarding Odysseus?
2. Why doesn't Telemachus want his treasures taken to his house?
3. How do the suitors view the fight between the two beggars in Book 18?
4. Who sets up the axes for the trial of the bow?
5. What gift does Menelaus give to Telemachus as they part company in Book 15?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)