|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Telemachus take Theoclymenus on his ship home?
(a) Athena tells him to take the murderer.
(b) Theoclymenus pays him.
(c) Telemachus realizes he needs all the allies he can get in Ithaca.
(d) Theoclymenus is fleeing from punishment.
2. Who is the first in the hall to notice Odysseus the beggar?
3. Which suitor scorns Odysseus the beggar at the second feast which he attends, in Book 20?
4. Since Telemachus dismissed the serving women, how is he able to move the armor in the dark in Book 19?
(a) Athene holds a golden lamp in front of them.
(b) Odysseus the beggar carries a torch.
(c) They light torches along the hallway.
(d) Eurycleia helps them out.
5. Who betrayed Penelope's loom of deceit?
(a) It took them two years, but they figured it out themselves.
(b) She was caught by the suitors in the fourth year.
(c) She was caught by the suitors after five years.
(d) Her slave maids told the suitors after three years.
6. What makes Irus nervous about his fight with Odysseus the beggar?
(a) The old man has muscular thighs.
(b) The suitors have threatened to drag him out by his feet if he loses.
(c) Irus sees his muscular chest.
(d) Athene sends a cold wind to give him a chill.
7. How does Telemachus react to his mother's contest in Book 21?
(a) He tells her that the suitors are not to touch his father's weapons.
(b) He's going to try the bow, for if he can wield it, then she can marry whoever she wishes.
(c) He thinks she's doing the right thing.
(d) He's going to try the bow too.
8. In Book 23, now that the fight with the suitors is over, what does Odysseus tell Telemachus to do?
(a) Gather the assembly and explain the events before others make decisions.
(b) Fortify the gates and brace for an attack.
(c) Wash, gather the others and act like there is a wedding feast.
(d) Take a ship to see Menelaus for aid.
9. What does Odysseus do during the voyage home in Book 13?
(b) Stands lookout.
(c) Holds the rudder.
(d) Takes to oar.
10. With whom was Eumaeus raised?
11. In Book 16, Where do Telemachus' gifts go?
(a) They were left on the ship.
(b) Clytius' house.
(c) The farm.
(d) Odysseus' house.
12. Where is Odysseus going in the morning in Book 23, the day after the battle with the suitors?
(a) To complete is quest to make peace with Poseidon.
(b) To his cave for his treasures.
(c) To the farm.
(d) To the mountains.
13. How do the suitors view the fight between the two beggars in Book 18?
(a) They think the beggars are disgusting, but they can't stop watching it.
(b) They think the beggars show their worth behaving in such a manner.
(c) They think it is the best entertainment that they've had.
(d) They don't really care about the fight.
14. Why does Odysseus find sleep difficult in his home in Book 20?
(a) He wishes to be in his marriage bed.
(b) With the old body that Athene has given, he has many aches and pains.
(c) He picked an uncomfortable spot to keep up his rouse.
(d) He's wondering how he is going to slay the suitors alone.
15. Why doesn't Telemachus want his treasures taken to his house?
(a) He's unsure about the situation with the suitors.
(b) He doesn't want his mother to see them.
(c) He's decided that Peiraeus has earned them.
(d) He doesn't want the suitors to see them.
Short Answer Questions
1. At his first feast in his own house, who throws a stool at Odysseus the beggar?
2. How does Penelope initially react to Eurycleia's news about Odysseus and the suitors?
3. Who does Telemachus first slay among the suitors during the battle in the hall?
4. Which reveler refuses to give anything to Odysseus the beggar, who has come to witness his first feast?
5. What sign does Odysseus give to his father so he believes that Odysseus has returned?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)