|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 14, where does a disguised Odysseus tell Eumaeus he is from when asked?
2. With whom was Eumaeus raised?
3. What ultimately exposes Odysseus' identity to Penelope?
(a) His scar.
(b) They have a secret code which they aggreed on before he left.
(c) His bed.
(d) He shows her the secret chamber.
4. How does the shepherd from the mainland treat Odysseus the beggar when he first meets him at the palace courtyard?
(a) He ignores him completely.
(b) He shows the beggar honor and respect.
(c) He treats the beggar rudely.
(d) He greets him.
5. What does Eurymachus offer Odysseus in Book 22 from the remaining suitors to make amends for their behavior at his house for so long?
(a) Twenty oxen and bronze and gold.
(b) Some cattle and some servants.
(c) All of their personal wealth and that of their families.
(d) Cattle, meal, and golden cups.
6. How does Eumaeus describe the suitors actions?
7. When Odysseus is on land after his voyage from Scheria, why doesn't he know where he is?
(a) Athene has spread a cloud, obscurring him.
(b) He is unfamiliar with this part of Ithaca.
(c) The Phaecians brought him to another island.
(d) He's been gone too long.
8. Which suitor eases Penelope's fears for her son in Book 16?
9. At his first feast in his own house, who throws a stool at Odysseus the beggar?
10. How does Penelope test the truth of Odysseus the beggar's story regarding Odysseus?
(a) She asks him the month and year he visited with Odysseus.
(b) She asks him to describe Odysseus' clothing, his person, and his companions.
(c) She asked the beggar at which games Odysseus excelled.
(d) She asked what Odysseus' ship looked like.
11. In Book 24, In the halls of the dead, what were the heroes' shades discussing?
(a) The funeral of Achilles.
(b) The fate of Odysseus.
(c) The funeral of Agamemnon.
(d) Their great deeds in life.
12. Where is Odysseus going in the morning in Book 23, the day after the battle with the suitors?
(a) To his cave for his treasures.
(b) To the farm.
(c) To the mountains.
(d) To complete is quest to make peace with Poseidon.
13. What does Odysseus do during the voyage home in Book 13?
(a) Stands lookout.
(b) Holds the rudder.
(d) Takes to oar.
14. How does Eurycleia recognize Odysseus the beggar as Odysseus in Book 19?
(a) She feels his scar when when she washes his feet.
(b) She notices his birthmark.
(c) She recognizes his voice.
(d) She recognizes his style of speech.
15. According to Book 13, what else does Alcinous decide to give Odysseus once his tale is over?
(a) More garments.
(b) A cauldron and a large tripod.
(c) More gold.
(d) Some cattle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Telemachus to disband the feast after the fight of Irus and Odysseus the beggar?
2. Why does Odysseus the beggar say he wants the bow after the suitors have all tried to use it?
3. Where is Telemachus supposed to put all the fighting gear that lies about Odysseus' hall?
4. Who does Telemachus first slay among the suitors during the battle in the hall?
5. In Book 16, Where do Telemachus' gifts go?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)