|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 19, what does Odysseus the beggar tell Penelope has kept Odysseus away so long?
(a) He couldn't find a ship to bring him to Ithaca.
(b) He's gone to the oracle.
(c) He's been gathering treasure.
(d) He's had a difficult passage.
2. After the first suitor fails to string the bow, what does he recommend?
(a) Each man who fails should try for another woman.
(b) They should pray to Apollo.
(c) They should postpone the contest.
(d) They should warm up the bow by the fire.
3. What does Eupeithes seek at the assembly after the lords learn of the slaughter of the suitors?
(a) He wants revenge against Odysseus for his son, and the others lost to Odysseus.
(b) He wants recompense for his son from Odysseus.
(c) He wants Odysseus to go into exile.
(d) He wants the queen to be killed.
4. As Odysseus tells Eumaeus his story in Book 14, how does he say he earns a living and makes a name for himself?
(a) As a soldier.
(b) As a priest.
(c) As a pirate.
(d) As a scholar.
5. What time of day do Odysseus and the Phaecians set sail in Book 13?
(a) It doesn't say.
6. In Book 24, who tells the assembly that an immortal aided Odysseus?
7. Why does Telemachus take Theoclymenus on his ship home?
(a) Telemachus realizes he needs all the allies he can get in Ithaca.
(b) Athena tells him to take the murderer.
(c) Theoclymenus is fleeing from punishment.
(d) Theoclymenus pays him.
8. Why does Odysseus find sleep difficult in his home in Book 20?
(a) He's wondering how he is going to slay the suitors alone.
(b) He wishes to be in his marriage bed.
(c) With the old body that Athene has given, he has many aches and pains.
(d) He picked an uncomfortable spot to keep up his rouse.
9. How does Eurycleia recognize Odysseus the beggar as Odysseus in Book 19?
(a) She notices his birthmark.
(b) She recognizes his style of speech.
(c) She recognizes his voice.
(d) She feels his scar when when she washes his feet.
10. To whom does Odysseus pray the next morning after speaking with Penelope alone, looking for a sign?
11. Who interprets the sign of the eagle and the goose as Telemachus and Peisistratus are leaving Lacedaemon?
12. Who is the first in the hall to notice Odysseus the beggar?
13. How does Eumaeus greet Telemachus upon his return in Book 16?
(a) Like a father to a long lost son.
(b) Like a brother.
(c) Like an employee who loves his boss.
(d) Like a mentor to a prodigy.
14. In addition to Odysseus and Penelope, who knew the secret of the bed?
15. Who tries to help the suitors in Book 22 by grabbing the armor and weapons?
(b) Some slave maids.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Menelaus give to Telemachus as they part company in Book 15?
2. Who betrayed Penelope's loom of deceit?
3. With whom was Eumaeus raised?
4. Which suitor eases Penelope's fears for her son in Book 16?
5. In Book 24, which of the suitors' shades tells the tale of their death to Agamemnon?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)