|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sets up the axes for the trial of the bow?
2. What is Penelope's reaction when she sees Odysseus for the first time after the slaughter of the suitors?
(a) She cries and falls into his arms.
(b) She looks at him with little reaction.
(c) She ignores him.
(d) She coldly questions him.
3. As Odysseus tells Eumaeus his story in Book 14, how does he say he earns a living and makes a name for himself?
(a) As a pirate.
(b) As a priest.
(c) As a soldier.
(d) As a scholar.
4. How does Athene disguise Odysseus on Ithaca?
(a) She just changes his eyes and hair.
(b) She makes him change his clothes and wear a mask.
(c) She makes him look old and dresses him in smelly rags.
(d) She makes him look like Telemachus, since Telemachus in still in Sparta.
5. How do the suitors view the fight between the two beggars in Book 18?
(a) They think the beggars are disgusting, but they can't stop watching it.
(b) They think it is the best entertainment that they've had.
(c) They think the beggars show their worth behaving in such a manner.
(d) They don't really care about the fight.
6. In Book 19, what does Odysseus the beggar tell Penelope has kept Odysseus away so long?
(a) He couldn't find a ship to bring him to Ithaca.
(b) He's gone to the oracle.
(c) He's been gathering treasure.
(d) He's had a difficult passage.
7. Which suitor has a "bad feeling" after Odysseus the beggar tries to warn him of impending danger in Book 18?
8. What gift does Helen give to Telemachus as he is preparing to leave Lacedaemon?
(a) A beautiful embroidered robe for his future bride.
(b) A jewel that sparkled like a star.
(c) The text never describes her gift.
(d) Goblets of silver to use at his wedding feast.
9. Where is Odysseus going in the morning in Book 23, the day after the battle with the suitors?
(a) To the mountains.
(b) To complete is quest to make peace with Poseidon.
(c) To his cave for his treasures.
(d) To the farm.
10. What gift does Menelaus give to Telemachus as they part company in Book 15?
(a) A well-wrought bowl made by Hephaestus.
(b) A tapestry woven by Athena.
(c) A cauldron used by the oracles.
(d) A pair of mules.
11. Why is Telemachus skeptical that he and Odysseus can handle the suitors without help?
(a) Odysseus has suffered for many years and it's taken a toll on his body.
(b) Odysseus isn't as young as he used to be.
(c) There are more than 100 suitors haunting their halls.
(d) Telemachus is untried in battle.
12. How is Odysseus, the old stranger, received by the swineherd in Book 14?
(a) With indifference - he's only going through the motions.
(b) Poorly - the swineherd sets the dogs on him.
(c) With suspicion - strangers tell tall tales about Odysseus' whereabouts.
(d) With much hospitality despite his appearance.
13. In Book 24, who tells the assembly that an immortal aided Odysseus?
14. Since Telemachus dismissed the serving women, how is he able to move the armor in the dark in Book 19?
(a) They light torches along the hallway.
(b) Eurycleia helps them out.
(c) Athene holds a golden lamp in front of them.
(d) Odysseus the beggar carries a torch.
15. Where did Menelaus get the gift he gave to Telemachus?
(a) From a king who sheltered him.
(b) From an immortal when he was close to death.
(c) From his wife as a wedding present.
(d) From Troy as a spoil of war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Among the suitors, who tried to use the bow first?
2. According to Penelope, when did Odysseus say it was acceptable for her to remarry?
3. Once Odysseus realizes he's in Ithaca, what does Athene advise him to do?
4. Why doesn't Telemachus want his treasures taken to his house?
5. To whom does Odysseus pray the next morning after speaking with Penelope alone, looking for a sign?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)