|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Teiresias' shade, what will help Odysseus and his crew make it home safely?
(a) They need to leave the cattle of the sun unharmed when they land on his island.
(b) They need to stay and question more spirits.
(c) They need to sacrifice one of sun's cattle to appease Poseidon.
(d) They need to make a trip to Olympus.
2. When captured by Menelaus, who had been stuck for 20 days, what did this being reveal to him to get his freedom?
(a) Menelaus is told how to get vengeance for his brother.
(b) Menelaus is told how to get home and acquire more treasure.
(c) Menelaus is told how to get Helen back.
(d) Menelaus is told how to get home, as well as the fate of three of his friends.
3. Who gets Telemachus' supplies of wine and barley for his quest?
4. What is Nestor doing when Telemachus arrives in Pylos?
(a) He is holding a feast in honor of Hermes.
(b) He is holding a feast in honor of Poseidon.
(c) He is holding a feast in honor of Zeus.
(d) He is holding a feast in honor of Athene.
5. What does Telemachus seek from the assembly above all?
6. What does Circe turn Odysseus' crew into in Book 10?
7. As a result of the meeting of the assembly in Book 2, what do the suitors decide to do?
(a) To court other women, too.
(b) It's time to give something back to Telemachus and his estate.
(c) It's time to go home.
(d) Continue behaving as they have been.
8. Which of his six remaining sons does Nestor send with Telemachus in Book 3?
9. How many men does Odysseus lose to the Cyclops?
10. What does Poseidon call to disrupt Odysseus' easy passage to Phaecia?
(a) The Kraken.
(b) The Hurricanes.
(c) The four winds.
(d) Tsunami-like waves.
11. What is Nausicaa's greatest concern for the trip back to her father's house from the river?
(a) She's worried that Odysseus will act immodestly, causing her shame.
(b) She's worried that Odysseus will get lost.
(c) She's worried about her reputation.
(d) She's worried that Odysseus isn't strong enough to make it.
12. When does the magic cloud disperse from Odysseus?
(a) When he throws his arms around Arete's knees.
(b) When he enters the castle.
(c) While he stares at the abundant garden.
(d) Before he gets to the castle.
13. Who speaks up in Book 7 to ask that Odysseus be given a seat in the court of Alcinous since he has come as a supplicant?
14. According to Halitherses in Book 2, how long will Odysseus be gone before he returns to his friends and family?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Eighteen years.
15. What does Ino give Odysseus to save his life when he loses his raft to Poseidon?
(a) A raft.
(b) A veil.
(c) A magic sail.
(d) A ride on dolphins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nestor tell Telemachus about his relationship with Odysseus?
2. Who killed Aegisthus for the murder of Agamemnon?
3. According to Circe, how should Odysseus get past the Sirens while listening to their song?
4. In what state do the Nausicaa's women, who are playing a game while waiting for the clothes to dry, find the sheltering Odysseus?
5. In order to tell Telemachus of Odysseus' fate, where does Menelaus' tale begin?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)