|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Aeolus help Odysseus again?
(a) Odysseus is destested by the immortals.
(b) Odysseus's crew is disobedient.
(c) Aeolus cannot give the same gift twice.
(d) Odysseus squandered his gift.
2. What does Poseidon call to disrupt Odysseus' easy passage to Phaecia?
(a) The Hurricanes.
(b) Tsunami-like waves.
(c) The four winds.
(d) The Kraken.
3. What does Telemachus seek from the assembly above all?
4. What form does Athena take to guide Odysseus to Alcinous' palace?
(a) A young page.
(b) A young girl.
(c) A servant of the house.
(d) A blind old man.
5. How did Odysseus anger the god(dess) who seeks to punish him in Book 1?
(a) He failed to make a proper sacrifice.
(b) He slaughtered some horses.
(c) He killed his own crew.
(d) He poked a cyclops' eye out.
6. In Book 1, who seeks to punish Odysseus interminably?
7. In which contest in Book 8 does Odysseus first outstrip all others?
8. To whom does Odysseus pray while in the meadow awaiting the appropriate time to arrive at the palace in Book 6?
9. How does Eurylochus convince Odysseus to land on Thrinacia?
(a) His men are tired and hungry. They need a break from the sea.
(b) They might not see land for days.
(c) Odysseus is out of touch with his crew.
(d) Odysseus is reckless and has lost a lot of crew. They don't trust what he says.
10. Who went disguised as a page in Book 8 throughout the town, encouraging people to hear about the stranger?
11. According to Teiresias' shade, what will help Odysseus and his crew make it home safely?
(a) They need to make a trip to Olympus.
(b) They need to stay and question more spirits.
(c) They need to sacrifice one of sun's cattle to appease Poseidon.
(d) They need to leave the cattle of the sun unharmed when they land on his island.
12. Who first notices Odysseus' clothes in Alcinous' house?
13. How does the Cyclops in Book 9 show hospitality?
(a) He gives them the stranger's gift.
(b) He offers them food, wine, and a place to sleep.
(c) He offers them food and wine.
(d) He dashes two men's brains out and eats them.
14. Where did Nestor last see Odysseus?
15. Why doesn't the other Cyclops help Polyphemus in Book 9?
(a) They couldn't get past the boulder guarding the opening of his cave.
(b) He always screams, so they didn't believe him.
(c) He never helps anyone else.
(d) Polyphemus said "No man is murdering me."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of Demodocus' first song at Alcinous' feast in Book 8?
2. Where does Calypso find Odysseus to tell him the news of his ordered release in Book 5?
3. Why was Menelaus late returning from Troy?
4. What skill are Phaecian men skilled beyond others?
5. What is Nestor doing when Telemachus arrives in Pylos?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)