|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the magic cloud disperse from Odysseus?
(a) When he throws his arms around Arete's knees.
(b) Before he gets to the castle.
(c) When he enters the castle.
(d) While he stares at the abundant garden.
2. Where is Telemachus going during this journey?
(a) Sparta and Pylos.
(b) Pylos and Ephryra.
(c) Ephyra and Crete.
(d) Sparta and Taphos.
3. In Book 1, who seeks to punish Odysseus interminably?
4. According to Nestor, who wanted the Achaeans to suffer on the way home from Troy?
5. Where does Telemachus stay when Nestor's feast is over?
(a) Beneath the portico at Nestor's house.
(b) In Nestor's garden.
(c) In the woods near Nestor's house.
(d) With his men aboard the ship.
6. What is happening in Lacedaemon when Telemachus arrives?
(a) Menelaus is holding a funeral rite for his brother.
(b) Menelaus is celebrating a double marriage.
(c) Menelaus is celebrating the marriage of his daughter.
(d) Menelaus and his household are holding a feast in honor of the gods.
7. Penelope learns about the suitors' plan for Telemachus from a page, but what does she learn from her sister's phantom?
(a) Telemachus is guided by Athene.
(b) Telemachus is wise beyond his years.
(c) Telemachus is bringing an army.
(d) Telemachus isn't coming back.
8. Who went disguised as a page in Book 8 throughout the town, encouraging people to hear about the stranger?
9. What does Telemachus seek from the assembly above all?
10. In order to tell Telemachus of Odysseus' fate, where does Menelaus' tale begin?
11. What is Nausicaa's greatest concern for the trip back to her father's house from the river?
(a) She's worried that Odysseus will act immodestly, causing her shame.
(b) She's worried that Odysseus will get lost.
(c) She's worried that Odysseus isn't strong enough to make it.
(d) She's worried about her reputation.
12. What is unique about Demodocus the bard?
(a) He is completely deaf.
(b) He is blind but gifted with delightful song.
(c) He can play a tune he's heard only once.
(d) He is a son of a Muse.
13. According to Circe, how should Odysseus get past the Sirens while listening to their song?
(a) He should be taken below deck.
(b) He should be bound to the mast.
(c) He just shouldn't listen to their song.
(d) He should be fine without any precautions.
14. Who gets Telemachus' supplies of wine and barley for his quest?
15. While making announcements after Mentes' visit in Book 1, what else does Telemachus tell the suitors of his hall?
(a) He will be King of Ithaca.
(b) Odysseus is alive, and he's going to find him.
(c) They can stay as long as they like.
(d) Odysseus is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form does Athena take to guide Odysseus to Alcinous' palace?
2. According to Nausicaa, to whom should Odysseus first appeal when he gets to the court in Book 6?
3. Where is Poseidon coming from when he sees Odysseus on his raft in Book 5?
4. How does the Cyclops in Book 9 show hospitality?
5. Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Menelaus tell?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)