|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Teiresias' shade, what will help Odysseus and his crew make it home safely?
(a) They need to stay and question more spirits.
(b) They need to sacrifice one of sun's cattle to appease Poseidon.
(c) They need to make a trip to Olympus.
(d) They need to leave the cattle of the sun unharmed when they land on his island.
2. In Book 11, who is first to visit Odysseus from the dead?
3. Who speaks up in Book 7 to ask that Odysseus be given a seat in the court of Alcinous since he has come as a supplicant?
4. Who helps Telemachus procure a ship and crew to begin his quest?
5. In Book 5, who orders Odysseus' release from Calypso?
6. What does Mentes tell Telemachus in Book 1 that he must do?
(a) Go on a quest.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Thrust the suitors from the house.
(d) Make Penelope decide about marriage.
7. How does Athene reveal herself to the men gathered at Nestor's palace?
(a) She transforms into mist before their eyes.
(b) She transforms into a horse before their eyes.
(c) She transforms into an osprey before their eyes.
(d) She transforms into a heifer before their eyes.
8. What does Ino give Odysseus to save his life when he loses his raft to Poseidon?
(a) A veil.
(b) A ride on dolphins.
(c) A magic sail.
(d) A raft.
9. Who led the group which wanted to leave Troy immediately after the war?
10. Why, despite taking an oath, does Odysseus' crew slay some cattle of the Sun?
(a) They don't care about the warning Odysseus issued.
(b) They've run out of food.
(c) They're bored.
(d) Eurylochus says that Odysseus is keeping the cattle for himself.
11. Where is Telemachus going during this journey?
(a) Ephyra and Crete.
(b) Pylos and Ephryra.
(c) Sparta and Taphos.
(d) Sparta and Pylos.
12. In which contest in Book 8 does Odysseus first outstrip all others?
13. During this assembly, who does Antinous blame for Telemachus' problem?
(a) The gods.
14. In Book 4, Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Helen tell?
(a) The day Odysseus took her maid as a hostage to flee Troy.
(b) The day Odysseus brought her from Priam's house.
(c) The day Odysseus got into the city in a beggar's disguise without suspicion.
(d) The day Odysseus built the Trojan horse.
15. To which goddess does Odysseus compare Nausicaa in Book 6?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were Menelaus and his ships stuck for 20 days?
2. Which god(dess) visits Telemachus at the beginning of the poem?
3. How many men does Odysseus lose to the Cyclops?
4. As Odysseus and his men push away from the Cyclops island, what does Odysseus do?
5. How did Odysseus anger the god(dess) who seeks to punish him in Book 1?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)