|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of Demodocus' first song at Alcinous' feast in Book 8?
(a) The end of the Trojan war.
(b) The deeds and misdeeds of the gods.
(c) The famous quarrel between Odysseus and Achilles.
(d) The tragic end of Agamemnon.
2. What is special about the cattle and flocks of the Sun?
(a) They are used for special feasts of the gods.
(b) They are there for the wanderer to use.
(c) They never die or have young.
(d) They are tended by the gods themselves.
3. As a result of the meeting of the assembly in Book 2, what do the suitors decide to do?
(a) To court other women, too.
(b) It's time to give something back to Telemachus and his estate.
(c) Continue behaving as they have been.
(d) It's time to go home.
4. Why, despite taking an oath, does Odysseus' crew slay some cattle of the Sun?
(a) They're bored.
(b) They've run out of food.
(c) Eurylochus says that Odysseus is keeping the cattle for himself.
(d) They don't care about the warning Odysseus issued.
5. With which hero did Odysseus first speak in Hades?
6. Why were Menelaus and his ships stuck for 20 days?
(a) He failed to make a proper sacrifice.
(b) No winds stirred.
(c) He was disoriented.
(d) He wanted to acquire more treasure.
7. Where does Telemachus stay when Nestor's feast is over?
(a) Beneath the portico at Nestor's house.
(b) In Nestor's garden.
(c) In the woods near Nestor's house.
(d) With his men aboard the ship.
8. Who killed Aegisthus for the murder of Agamemnon?
9. Telemachus is overrun with ________, who sponge off of him and his estate, making no amends.
10. Why doesn't Aeolus help Odysseus again?
(a) Aeolus cannot give the same gift twice.
(b) Odysseus squandered his gift.
(c) Odysseus is destested by the immortals.
(d) Odysseus's crew is disobedient.
11. In Book 6, what instructions does Nausicaa give her maids regarding Odysseus?
(a) They are to keep away from this stranger.
(b) They are to give him food and drink and bathe him.
(c) They are to wash his clothes too.
(d) They are to run to get the men for protection.
12. Who helps Telemachus procure a ship and crew to begin his quest?
13. In what state do the Nausicaa's women, who are playing a game while waiting for the clothes to dry, find the sheltering Odysseus?
(a) He is covered in the sail from his raft.
(b) He is wearing the clothes that Calypso gave him, but they're a little ragged.
(c) He is wearing Ino's veil.
(d) He is completely naked.
14. What does Menelaus give to Telemachus when Telemachus politely refuses his other gifts?
(a) A well-wrought silver bowl.
(b) A polished car.
(c) Soldiers with which to vanquish the suitors.
(d) A goodly cup.
15. After leaving the lotus-eaters, what do Odysseus and his ships find in Book 9?
(a) An unspoiled land filled with goats.
(b) A highly populated island filled with warlike people.
(c) The pleasant island of Circe.
(d) A land of man-eating giants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Circe give Odysseus regarding Scylla and Charybdis?
2. In addition to offering advice, what else does Mentes from Taphos give to Telemachus?
3. How long do Odysseus and his men stay with Circe in Book 10?
4. What does Circe turn Odysseus' crew into in Book 10?
5. Who first notices Odysseus' clothes in Alcinous' house?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)