|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long have the suitors been coming to Odysseus' home?
(a) More than three years.
(b) Six years.
(c) Four years.
(d) A couple of years.
2. How does Eurylochus convince Odysseus to land on Thrinacia?
(a) They might not see land for days.
(b) Odysseus is out of touch with his crew.
(c) Odysseus is reckless and has lost a lot of crew. They don't trust what he says.
(d) His men are tired and hungry. They need a break from the sea.
3. Why does Nausicaa go to the river in Book 6?
(a) She needs to do the wash for her family.
(b) She wants to find a husband.
(c) She needs to bathe.
(d) She wants to enjoy the day with her maids, playing ball.
4. In Book 5, who orders Odysseus' release from Calypso?
5. What is the subject of Demodocus' first song at Alcinous' feast in Book 8?
(a) The end of the Trojan war.
(b) The deeds and misdeeds of the gods.
(c) The tragic end of Agamemnon.
(d) The famous quarrel between Odysseus and Achilles.
6. Why doesn't the other Cyclops help Polyphemus in Book 9?
(a) They couldn't get past the boulder guarding the opening of his cave.
(b) He always screams, so they didn't believe him.
(c) Polyphemus said "No man is murdering me."
(d) He never helps anyone else.
7. Who helps Telemachus procure a ship and crew to begin his quest?
8. After leaving the lotus-eaters, what do Odysseus and his ships find in Book 9?
(a) A land of man-eating giants.
(b) A highly populated island filled with warlike people.
(c) The pleasant island of Circe.
(d) An unspoiled land filled with goats.
9. Why, despite taking an oath, does Odysseus' crew slay some cattle of the Sun?
(a) They're bored.
(b) They don't care about the warning Odysseus issued.
(c) They've run out of food.
(d) Eurylochus says that Odysseus is keeping the cattle for himself.
10. What does Menelaus first reveal regarding Odysseus when Telemachus tells Menelaus who he is and the purpose of his visit?
(a) He would have given Odysseus a city upon his return from Troy.
(b) Telemachus looks nothing like his father.
(c) Odysseus' problems are his own.
(d) Odysseus is not worth anyone's tears.
11. What is Nestor doing when Telemachus arrives in Pylos?
(a) He is holding a feast in honor of Hermes.
(b) He is holding a feast in honor of Poseidon.
(c) He is holding a feast in honor of Zeus.
(d) He is holding a feast in honor of Athene.
12. Having left Ogygia and survived Poseidon's attack, what is Odysseus' new problem, now that he spots land?
(a) The sea is deep as it ends abruptly on the steep bluff.
(b) The coast is a bluff and jagged reefs.
(c) There is no safe harbor.
(d) All answers are correct.
13. What is special about the cattle and flocks of the Sun?
(a) They are tended by the gods themselves.
(b) They are used for special feasts of the gods.
(c) They are there for the wanderer to use.
(d) They never die or have young.
14. After his battle with Poseidon in Book 5, where does Odysseus find shelter in the land on which he has just arrived?
(a) He decides to go into the hills to find a cave.
(b) A man approaches and shows him a place used by hunters.
(c) He creates a makeshift shelter with nearby debris.
(d) He goes into the woods and finds a couple of shrubs to provide shelter and comfort.
15. According to Nestor, who wanted the Achaeans to suffer on the way home from Troy?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reads the sign given while Telemachus calls upon Zeus in Book 2?
2. According to Halitherses in Book 2, how long will Odysseus be gone before he returns to his friends and family?
3. In Chapter 12, with his ship destroyed, Odysseus drifts until he reaches _____________.
4. Where is Telemachus going during this journey?
5. Who tells Telemachus that it's time for him to behave like a man, not a child?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)