|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What skill are Phaecian men skilled beyond others?
2. In order to tell Telemachus of Odysseus' fate, where does Menelaus' tale begin?
3. When does the magic cloud disperse from Odysseus?
(a) When he throws his arms around Arete's knees.
(b) Before he gets to the castle.
(c) When he enters the castle.
(d) While he stares at the abundant garden.
4. In Book 4, Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Helen tell?
(a) The day Odysseus brought her from Priam's house.
(b) The day Odysseus built the Trojan horse.
(c) The day Odysseus got into the city in a beggar's disguise without suspicion.
(d) The day Odysseus took her maid as a hostage to flee Troy.
5. What is special about the cattle and flocks of the Sun?
(a) They are used for special feasts of the gods.
(b) They are tended by the gods themselves.
(c) They never die or have young.
(d) They are there for the wanderer to use.
6. As Odysseus and his men push away from the Cyclops island, what does Odysseus do?
(a) He prays to the gods for deliverance.
(b) He mourns the loss of his crewmen.
(c) He taunts Polyphemus.
(d) He spurs his crew to go faster.
7. Who interrupts Phemius' sad song of the Achaeans in Book 1?
8. How long do Odysseus and his men stay with Circe in Book 10?
(a) One season.
(b) One year.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
9. Athene instructs Nestor to help Telemachus on the next leg of his journey. What does he supply?
(a) Nestor gives Telemachus supplies and a guide.
(b) Nestor gives Telemachus treasure, a map and one of his sons.
(c) Nestor gives Telemachus horses and one of his sons.
(d) Nestor gives Telemachus another ship and one of his sons.
10. How does Eurylochus react when Odysseus tells his crew to follow him to Circe's house?
(a) He tells the others to trust Odysseus.
(b) He tells the others it's a trap.
(c) He tells the others it was Odysseus' fault that the others have perished, and that Odysseus is reckless.
(d) He tells the others that Circe will be kind if Odysseus is there.
11. Why was Menelaus late returning from Troy?
(a) They endured rough seas and wind.
(b) They were pirating.
(c) All of the answers are correct.
(d) His pilot died.
12. As a result of the meeting of the assembly in Book 2, what do the suitors decide to do?
(a) To court other women, too.
(b) It's time to go home.
(c) Continue behaving as they have been.
(d) It's time to give something back to Telemachus and his estate.
13. In what state do the Nausicaa's women, who are playing a game while waiting for the clothes to dry, find the sheltering Odysseus?
(a) He is covered in the sail from his raft.
(b) He is completely naked.
(c) He is wearing the clothes that Calypso gave him, but they're a little ragged.
(d) He is wearing Ino's veil.
14. Odysseus and his men have just landed on an island after the lotus-eaters. Why does Odysseus leave this place the next morning?
(a) He wants to hurry home because he has a bad feeling.
(b) He wants to gather more treasure.
(c) He wants to please Zeus since they've angered him.
(d) He wants to investigate another island from which smoke can be seen.
15. In whose grove of poplar trees is Odysseus told to wait before approaching the palace in Book 6?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Cyclops in Book 9 show hospitality?
2. After leaving the lotus-eaters, what do Odysseus and his ships find in Book 9?
3. What advice does Circe give Odysseus regarding Scylla and Charybdis?
4. Where does Calypso find Odysseus to tell him the news of his ordered release in Book 5?
5. According to Nestor, who wanted the Achaeans to suffer on the way home from Troy?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)