|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a result of the meeting of the assembly in Book 2, what do the suitors decide to do?
(a) Continue behaving as they have been.
(b) It's time to go home.
(c) It's time to give something back to Telemachus and his estate.
(d) To court other women, too.
2. Where is Odysseus at the beginning of the poem?
3. Where is Telemachus going during this journey?
(a) Pylos and Ephryra.
(b) Sparta and Pylos.
(c) Ephyra and Crete.
(d) Sparta and Taphos.
4. During this assembly, who does Antinous blame for Telemachus' problem?
(a) The gods.
5. By what type of people did the Phaecians once live?
6. How long do Odysseus and his men stay with Circe in Book 10?
(a) One week.
(b) One year.
(c) One month.
(d) One season.
7. Who gets Telemachus' supplies of wine and barley for his quest?
8. What does Poseidon call to disrupt Odysseus' easy passage to Phaecia?
(a) The four winds.
(b) The Kraken.
(c) The Hurricanes.
(d) Tsunami-like waves.
9. In Book 4, Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Helen tell?
(a) The day Odysseus brought her from Priam's house.
(b) The day Odysseus built the Trojan horse.
(c) The day Odysseus got into the city in a beggar's disguise without suspicion.
(d) The day Odysseus took her maid as a hostage to flee Troy.
10. What does Menelaus give to Telemachus when Telemachus politely refuses his other gifts?
(a) Soldiers with which to vanquish the suitors.
(b) A goodly cup.
(c) A well-wrought silver bowl.
(d) A polished car.
11. When sadness grips the feasting in her hall, causing Menelaus and his visitors to cry in remembrance of friends lost in Troy, what does Helen do to the wine?
(a) She adds a drug.
(b) She pours it for the men.
(c) She adds herbs to sweeten it.
(d) She warms it.
12. Why, despite taking an oath, does Odysseus' crew slay some cattle of the Sun?
(a) Eurylochus says that Odysseus is keeping the cattle for himself.
(b) They don't care about the warning Odysseus issued.
(c) They're bored.
(d) They've run out of food.
13. What does Nestor tell Telemachus about his relationship with Odysseus?
(a) They never fought side by side during the war.
(b) They never differed at council during the war.
(c) They never spoke those nine years at war.
(d) They never agreed at council during the war.
14. Why doesn't the other Cyclops help Polyphemus in Book 9?
(a) They couldn't get past the boulder guarding the opening of his cave.
(b) Polyphemus said "No man is murdering me."
(c) He never helps anyone else.
(d) He always screams, so they didn't believe him.
15. What announcement does Telemachus make to the suitors of his hall in Book 1?
(a) His father is alive.
(b) He's going to call a meeting of the assembly and formally ask the suitors to leave.
(c) He's going to go on a trip.
(d) He's been visited by the goddess Athena, and they should change their ways.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of Telemachus' quest?
2. While Telemachus is in Lycaedaemon, what plan do the suitors devise to punish Telemachus for leaving?
3. Who interrupts Phemius' sad song of the Achaeans in Book 1?
4. With which hero did Odysseus first speak in Hades?
5. How does Eurylochus convince Odysseus to land on Thrinacia?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)