|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Telemachus is overrun with ________, who sponge off of him and his estate, making no amends.
2. What is Nestor doing when Telemachus arrives in Pylos?
(a) He is holding a feast in honor of Poseidon.
(b) He is holding a feast in honor of Zeus.
(c) He is holding a feast in honor of Athene.
(d) He is holding a feast in honor of Hermes.
3. How many times has the meeting of the assembly occurred since Odysseus left?
(a) Ten times.
(b) Five times.
(d) It doesn't say.
4. What does Circe turn Odysseus' crew into in Book 10?
5. In order to tell Telemachus of Odysseus' fate, where does Menelaus' tale begin?
6. What does Ino give Odysseus to save his life when he loses his raft to Poseidon?
(a) A magic sail.
(b) A raft.
(c) A ride on dolphins.
(d) A veil.
7. Penelope learns about the suitors' plan for Telemachus from a page, but what does she learn from her sister's phantom?
(a) Telemachus isn't coming back.
(b) Telemachus is wise beyond his years.
(c) Telemachus is bringing an army.
(d) Telemachus is guided by Athene.
8. Where did Nestor last see Odysseus?
9. By what type of people did the Phaecians once live?
10. While Telemachus is in Lycaedaemon, what plan do the suitors devise to punish Telemachus for leaving?
(a) To discredit him in Ithaca.
(b) To kill him on the open sea.
(c) To steal all his goods.
(d) To take Penelope away.
11. What advice does Agamemnon give to Odysseus regarding women in Book 11?
(a) Hide your ship and surprise her with your return.
(b) Send your treasures ahead of yourself after so long an absence.
(c) Tell a part and let a part be hid.
(d) Always be gentle with your wife.
12. Athene instructs Nestor to help Telemachus on the next leg of his journey. What does he supply?
(a) Nestor gives Telemachus supplies and a guide.
(b) Nestor gives Telemachus another ship and one of his sons.
(c) Nestor gives Telemachus horses and one of his sons.
(d) Nestor gives Telemachus treasure, a map and one of his sons.
13. What is special about the cattle and flocks of the Sun?
(a) They are tended by the gods themselves.
(b) They are used for special feasts of the gods.
(c) They are there for the wanderer to use.
(d) They never die or have young.
14. Who tells Telemachus that it's time for him to behave like a man, not a child?
15. Who helps Telemachus procure a ship and crew to begin his quest?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Menelaus late returning from Troy?
2. Why does Athena speak to Nausicaa in her dreams?
3. What is unique about Demodocus the bard?
4. What does Odysseus receive from the thirteen kings of Phaecia?
5. Who gets Telemachus' supplies of wine and barley for his quest?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)