|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Menelaus late returning from Troy?
(a) They endured rough seas and wind.
(b) His pilot died.
(c) They were pirating.
(d) All of the answers are correct.
2. Why were Menelaus and his ships stuck for 20 days?
(a) He wanted to acquire more treasure.
(b) He failed to make a proper sacrifice.
(c) No winds stirred.
(d) He was disoriented.
3. According to Book 4, who did Menelaus capture?
4. Once Ino gives Odysseus help to survive Poseidon assault on the open sea, how many more days does Odysseus drift until he sees land?
(a) Four days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Five days.
(d) Three days.
5. Who interrupts Phemius' sad song of the Achaeans in Book 1?
6. According to Teiresias' shade, what will help Odysseus and his crew make it home safely?
(a) They need to sacrifice one of sun's cattle to appease Poseidon.
(b) They need to stay and question more spirits.
(c) They need to leave the cattle of the sun unharmed when they land on his island.
(d) They need to make a trip to Olympus.
7. In Book 1, who seeks to punish Odysseus interminably?
8. Who killed Aegisthus for the murder of Agamemnon?
9. Where does Calypso find Odysseus to tell him the news of his ordered release in Book 5?
(a) He's out in the forest building a hut.
(b) He's in her grotto asleep.
(c) He's crying on the beach.
(d) He's swimming.
10. According to Nestor, who wanted the Achaeans to suffer on the way home from Troy?
11. During this assembly, who does Antinous blame for Telemachus' problem?
(c) The gods.
12. In Book 3, Nestor pledges to sacrifice a gold-tipped _______________ in Athene's honor.
13. What is Nausicaa's greatest concern for the trip back to her father's house from the river?
(a) She's worried that Odysseus will act immodestly, causing her shame.
(b) She's worried that Odysseus will get lost.
(c) She's worried that Odysseus isn't strong enough to make it.
(d) She's worried about her reputation.
14. What color yarn does Nausicaa's mother spin?
(a) Sky blue.
(b) Meadow green.
(c) Sea purple.
(d) Sun-drenched gold.
15. According to Circe, how should Odysseus get past the Sirens while listening to their song?
(a) He should be bound to the mast.
(b) He should be taken below deck.
(c) He just shouldn't listen to their song.
(d) He should be fine without any precautions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Floating with the aid of Ino and safe from Poseidon in Book 5, how does Odysseus make it to dry land when he first sees it?
2. With which hero did Odysseus first speak in Hades?
3. Why doesn't the other Cyclops help Polyphemus in Book 9?
4. What does Telemachus seek from the assembly above all?
5. When does the magic cloud disperse from Odysseus?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)