|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Eurylochus react when Odysseus tells his crew to follow him to Circe's house?
(a) He tells the others it's a trap.
(b) He tells the others that Circe will be kind if Odysseus is there.
(c) He tells the others to trust Odysseus.
(d) He tells the others it was Odysseus' fault that the others have perished, and that Odysseus is reckless.
2. As a result of the meeting of the assembly in Book 2, what do the suitors decide to do?
(a) Continue behaving as they have been.
(b) To court other women, too.
(c) It's time to give something back to Telemachus and his estate.
(d) It's time to go home.
3. After leaving the lotus-eaters, what do Odysseus and his ships find in Book 9?
(a) A land of man-eating giants.
(b) The pleasant island of Circe.
(c) A highly populated island filled with warlike people.
(d) An unspoiled land filled with goats.
4. Who interrupts Phemius' sad song of the Achaeans in Book 1?
5. What does Menelaus first reveal regarding Odysseus when Telemachus tells Menelaus who he is and the purpose of his visit?
(a) Odysseus is not worth anyone's tears.
(b) Odysseus' problems are his own.
(c) Telemachus looks nothing like his father.
(d) He would have given Odysseus a city upon his return from Troy.
6. Which word best describes Odysseus' initial reaction when Calypso offers to help him in Book 5?
7. In Book 1, who seeks to punish Odysseus interminably?
8. Telemachus is overrun with ________, who sponge off of him and his estate, making no amends.
9. Who reads the sign given while Telemachus calls upon Zeus in Book 2?
10. Why doesn't Aeolus help Odysseus again?
(a) Odysseus is destested by the immortals.
(b) Odysseus's crew is disobedient.
(c) Aeolus cannot give the same gift twice.
(d) Odysseus squandered his gift.
11. What does the first spirit to visit Odysseus in Hades ask him to do?
(a) Take care of his father, Laertes.
(b) Go back to Aeaea and observe his funeral rites.
(c) Make more sacrifices at each place he stops.
(d) Kill one of his men because the gods detest him.
12. In Book 3, Nestor pledges to sacrifice a gold-tipped _______________ in Athene's honor.
13. In order to tell Telemachus of Odysseus' fate, where does Menelaus' tale begin?
14. As Odysseus and his men push away from the Cyclops island, what does Odysseus do?
(a) He mourns the loss of his crewmen.
(b) He spurs his crew to go faster.
(c) He prays to the gods for deliverance.
(d) He taunts Polyphemus.
15. In Book 6, what instructions does Nausicaa give her maids regarding Odysseus?
(a) They are to run to get the men for protection.
(b) They are to give him food and drink and bathe him.
(c) They are to keep away from this stranger.
(d) They are to wash his clothes too.
Short Answer Questions
1. When captured by Menelaus, who had been stuck for 20 days, what did this being reveal to him to get his freedom?
2. What color yarn does Nausicaa's mother spin?
3. What skill are Phaecian men skilled beyond others?
4. Why does Odysseus have to go to Hades in Book 10?
5. Where is Odysseus at the beginning of the poem?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)