|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Calypso gives Odysseus many things to help him on his way including supplies for making his ship, provisions for his journey, and a(n) _____________.
(a) Enchanted sail.
(c) Gentle breeze.
2. Where is Odysseus at the beginning of the poem?
3. What announcement does Telemachus make to the suitors of his hall in Book 1?
(a) He's going to call a meeting of the assembly and formally ask the suitors to leave.
(b) He's going to go on a trip.
(c) His father is alive.
(d) He's been visited by the goddess Athena, and they should change their ways.
4. According to Book 4, who did Menelaus capture?
5. Why does Athena speak to Nausicaa in her dreams?
(a) She wants Nausicaa to discover Odysseus.
(b) She wants Nausicaa to prepare for her upcoming marriage.
(c) She wants to tell Nausicaa that she hasn't been a good daughter or sister since she hasn't washed the clothes.
(d) She wants others to know that Nausicaa has a connection with the immortals.
6. Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Menelaus tell?
(a) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit for gaining access and intelligence of Troy in the first place.
(b) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit for contriving of the horse
(c) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit for keeping the men still and quiet inside the horse.
(d) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit forbuilding the horse so they wouldn't be detected.
7. Why does Nausicaa go to the river in Book 6?
(a) She wants to find a husband.
(b) She needs to bathe.
(c) She wants to enjoy the day with her maids, playing ball.
(d) She needs to do the wash for her family.
8. How did Odysseus appear after his bath in Book 6?
(a) Athena made him look taller and stouter.
(b) Athena made him look younger.
(c) Athena made him look like a hero.
(d) Athena made him look natural.
9. What is happening in Lacedaemon when Telemachus arrives?
(a) Menelaus is celebrating the marriage of his daughter.
(b) Menelaus is celebrating a double marriage.
(c) Menelaus and his household are holding a feast in honor of the gods.
(d) Menelaus is holding a funeral rite for his brother.
10. To whom does Odysseus pray while in the meadow awaiting the appropriate time to arrive at the palace in Book 6?
11. What is the purpose of Telemachus' quest?
(a) He has to assemble an army of heroes.
(b) He is to find word or rumor about Odysseus and his fate.
(c) He has to find Odysseus.
(d) He has to appeal to the gods for help.
12. Who helps Telemachus procure a ship and crew to begin his quest?
13. Who gets Telemachus' supplies of wine and barley for his quest?
14. What is unique about Demodocus the bard?
(a) He is blind but gifted with delightful song.
(b) He is completely deaf.
(c) He is a son of a Muse.
(d) He can play a tune he's heard only once.
15. How long do Odysseus and his men stay with Circe in Book 10?
(a) One month.
(b) One year.
(c) One season.
(d) One week.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Odysseus and Ajax fight?
2. How does Penelope keep from marrying one of the suitors?
3. Who speaks up in Book 7 to ask that Odysseus be given a seat in the court of Alcinous since he has come as a supplicant?
4. What form does Athena take to guide Odysseus to Alcinous' palace?
5. Where is Poseidon coming from when he sees Odysseus on his raft in Book 5?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)