|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Telemachus procure a ship and crew to begin his quest?
2. Why were Menelaus and his ships stuck for 20 days?
(a) No winds stirred.
(b) He failed to make a proper sacrifice.
(c) He wanted to acquire more treasure.
(d) He was disoriented.
3. In Chapter 12, with his ship destroyed, Odysseus drifts until he reaches _____________.
4. Who went disguised as a page in Book 8 throughout the town, encouraging people to hear about the stranger?
5. What is Nausicaa's greatest concern for the trip back to her father's house from the river?
(a) She's worried that Odysseus will get lost.
(b) She's worried that Odysseus will act immodestly, causing her shame.
(c) She's worried that Odysseus isn't strong enough to make it.
(d) She's worried about her reputation.
6. What announcement does Telemachus make to the suitors of his hall in Book 1?
(a) He's going to call a meeting of the assembly and formally ask the suitors to leave.
(b) He's going to go on a trip.
(c) His father is alive.
(d) He's been visited by the goddess Athena, and they should change their ways.
7. Why doesn't the other Cyclops help Polyphemus in Book 9?
(a) They couldn't get past the boulder guarding the opening of his cave.
(b) Polyphemus said "No man is murdering me."
(c) He never helps anyone else.
(d) He always screams, so they didn't believe him.
8. Calypso gives Odysseus many things to help him on his way including supplies for making his ship, provisions for his journey, and a(n) _____________.
(a) Gentle breeze.
(c) Enchanted sail.
9. Floating with the aid of Ino and safe from Poseidon in Book 5, how does Odysseus make it to dry land when he first sees it?
(a) He swims until he finds a beach.
(b) He swims until he finds a boat.
(c) He swims until he finds a river.
(d) He swims until he finds a harbor.
10. As Odysseus and his men push away from the Cyclops island, what does Odysseus do?
(a) He mourns the loss of his crewmen.
(b) He spurs his crew to go faster.
(c) He prays to the gods for deliverance.
(d) He taunts Polyphemus.
11. Where is Telemachus going during this journey?
(a) Sparta and Pylos.
(b) Sparta and Taphos.
(c) Pylos and Ephryra.
(d) Ephyra and Crete.
12. In Book 1, who seeks to punish Odysseus interminably?
13. What does Nestor tell Telemachus about his relationship with Odysseus?
(a) They never differed at council during the war.
(b) They never agreed at council during the war.
(c) They never fought side by side during the war.
(d) They never spoke those nine years at war.
14. As a result of the meeting of the assembly in Book 2, what do the suitors decide to do?
(a) It's time to give something back to Telemachus and his estate.
(b) Continue behaving as they have been.
(c) To court other women, too.
(d) It's time to go home.
15. Who speaks up in Book 7 to ask that Odysseus be given a seat in the court of Alcinous since he has come as a supplicant?
Short Answer Questions
1. While making announcements after Mentes' visit in Book 1, what else does Telemachus tell the suitors of his hall?
2. According to Circe, how should Odysseus get past the Sirens while listening to their song?
3. What is special about the cattle and flocks of the Sun?
4. Who first notices Odysseus' clothes in Alcinous' house?
5. Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Menelaus tell?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)