|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Having left Ogygia and survived Poseidon's attack, what is Odysseus' new problem, now that he spots land?
(a) The sea is deep as it ends abruptly on the steep bluff.
(b) The coast is a bluff and jagged reefs.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) There is no safe harbor.
2. In order to tell Telemachus of Odysseus' fate, where does Menelaus' tale begin?
3. What does Circe turn Odysseus' crew into in Book 10?
4. Why did Odysseus and Ajax fight?
(a) It was for honor after they insulted each other.
(b) It was a sporting contest.
(c) It was contest to win Achilles' armor.
(d) It was for the gods' amusement.
5. Athene instructs Nestor to help Telemachus on the next leg of his journey. What does he supply?
(a) Nestor gives Telemachus another ship and one of his sons.
(b) Nestor gives Telemachus treasure, a map and one of his sons.
(c) Nestor gives Telemachus horses and one of his sons.
(d) Nestor gives Telemachus supplies and a guide.
6. In addition to offering advice, what else does Mentes from Taphos give to Telemachus?
(a) He gives word of Odysseus.
(b) He gives a prophecy of the gods.
(c) He brings a warning to the suitors.
(d) He brings lavish presents.
7. According to Halitherses in Book 2, how long will Odysseus be gone before he returns to his friends and family?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Seven years.
(c) Eighteen years.
(d) Ten years.
8. How many times has the meeting of the assembly occurred since Odysseus left?
(a) Five times.
(c) Ten times.
(d) It doesn't say.
9. To whom does Odysseus pray while in the meadow awaiting the appropriate time to arrive at the palace in Book 6?
10. By what type of people did the Phaecians once live?
11. With which hero did Odysseus first speak in Hades?
12. What form does Athena take to guide Odysseus to Alcinous' palace?
(a) A servant of the house.
(b) A young girl.
(c) A blind old man.
(d) A young page.
13. Where did Nestor last see Odysseus?
14. In Book 4, Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Helen tell?
(a) The day Odysseus brought her from Priam's house.
(b) The day Odysseus got into the city in a beggar's disguise without suspicion.
(c) The day Odysseus built the Trojan horse.
(d) The day Odysseus took her maid as a hostage to flee Troy.
15. What is the purpose of Telemachus' quest?
(a) He has to appeal to the gods for help.
(b) He has to assemble an army of heroes.
(c) He is to find word or rumor about Odysseus and his fate.
(d) He has to find Odysseus.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving the lotus-eaters, what do Odysseus and his ships find in Book 9?
2. What does Odysseus receive from the thirteen kings of Phaecia?
3. Who tells Telemachus that it's time for him to behave like a man, not a child?
4. What sign is witnessed by the entire assembly when Telemachus calls upon Zeus for justice in Book 2?
5. In Book 11, who is first to visit Odysseus from the dead?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)