|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Book 4, who did Menelaus capture?
2. According to Halitherses in Book 2, how long will Odysseus be gone before he returns to his friends and family?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Seven years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Eighteen years.
3. Who first notices Odysseus' clothes in Alcinous' house?
4. Why, despite taking an oath, does Odysseus' crew slay some cattle of the Sun?
(a) They've run out of food.
(b) They don't care about the warning Odysseus issued.
(c) Eurylochus says that Odysseus is keeping the cattle for himself.
(d) They're bored.
5. Which of his six remaining sons does Nestor send with Telemachus in Book 3?
6. How does Eurylochus convince Odysseus to land on Thrinacia?
(a) His men are tired and hungry. They need a break from the sea.
(b) They might not see land for days.
(c) Odysseus is reckless and has lost a lot of crew. They don't trust what he says.
(d) Odysseus is out of touch with his crew.
7. How long have the suitors been coming to Odysseus' home?
(a) Six years.
(b) Four years.
(c) A couple of years.
(d) More than three years.
8. Which word best describes Odysseus' initial reaction when Calypso offers to help him in Book 5?
9. In Book 4, Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Helen tell?
(a) The day Odysseus took her maid as a hostage to flee Troy.
(b) The day Odysseus brought her from Priam's house.
(c) The day Odysseus built the Trojan horse.
(d) The day Odysseus got into the city in a beggar's disguise without suspicion.
10. After his battle with Poseidon in Book 5, where does Odysseus find shelter in the land on which he has just arrived?
(a) He decides to go into the hills to find a cave.
(b) A man approaches and shows him a place used by hunters.
(c) He creates a makeshift shelter with nearby debris.
(d) He goes into the woods and finds a couple of shrubs to provide shelter and comfort.
11. According to Teiresias' shade, what will help Odysseus and his crew make it home safely?
(a) They need to leave the cattle of the sun unharmed when they land on his island.
(b) They need to stay and question more spirits.
(c) They need to make a trip to Olympus.
(d) They need to sacrifice one of sun's cattle to appease Poseidon.
12. In Book 6, what instructions does Nausicaa give her maids regarding Odysseus?
(a) They are to give him food and drink and bathe him.
(b) They are to keep away from this stranger.
(c) They are to wash his clothes too.
(d) They are to run to get the men for protection.
13. By what type of people did the Phaecians once live?
14. How many days does it take Odysseus to make his preparations and finally leave Ogygia?
(a) Six days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Five days.
(d) Four days.
15. Who led the group which wanted to leave Troy immediately after the war?
Short Answer Questions
1. While Telemachus is in Lycaedaemon, what plan do the suitors devise to punish Telemachus for leaving?
2. How does Penelope keep from marrying one of the suitors?
3. Who interrupts Phemius' sad song of the Achaeans in Book 1?
4. Where did Nestor last see Odysseus?
5. Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Menelaus tell?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)