|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Telemachus that it's time for him to behave like a man, not a child?
2. What does Odysseus receive from the thirteen kings of Phaecia?
(a) A chest of gold and a chest of silver.
(b) A slave and a chest of gold.
(c) A chest of gold each, and a well-wrought libations cup.
(d) A spotless robe and tunic and a talent of gold.
3. How did Odysseus appear after his bath in Book 6?
(a) Athena made him look like a hero.
(b) Athena made him look taller and stouter.
(c) Athena made him look natural.
(d) Athena made him look younger.
4. In Chapter 12, with his ship destroyed, Odysseus drifts until he reaches _____________.
5. According to Circe, how should Odysseus get past the Sirens while listening to their song?
(a) He should be bound to the mast.
(b) He should be taken below deck.
(c) He should be fine without any precautions.
(d) He just shouldn't listen to their song.
6. Who gets Telemachus' supplies of wine and barley for his quest?
7. Telemachus is overrun with ________, who sponge off of him and his estate, making no amends.
8. Which word best describes Odysseus' initial reaction when Calypso offers to help him in Book 5?
9. Why was Menelaus late returning from Troy?
(a) They endured rough seas and wind.
(b) His pilot died.
(c) They were pirating.
(d) All of the answers are correct.
10. How many youths are chosen for the black ship that Alcinous will provide Odysseus?
11. What does Mentes tell Telemachus in Book 1 that he must do?
(a) Make Penelope decide about marriage.
(b) Thrust the suitors from the house.
(c) Go on a quest.
(d) All answers are correct.
12. What does Circe turn Odysseus' crew into in Book 10?
13. Who killed Aegisthus for the murder of Agamemnon?
14. Calypso gives Odysseus many things to help him on his way including supplies for making his ship, provisions for his journey, and a(n) _____________.
(a) Gentle breeze.
(d) Enchanted sail.
15. In what state do the Nausicaa's women, who are playing a game while waiting for the clothes to dry, find the sheltering Odysseus?
(a) He is covered in the sail from his raft.
(b) He is wearing Ino's veil.
(c) He is completely naked.
(d) He is wearing the clothes that Calypso gave him, but they're a little ragged.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ino give Odysseus to save his life when he loses his raft to Poseidon?
2. Who interrupts Phemius' sad song of the Achaeans in Book 1?
3. When sadness grips the feasting in her hall, causing Menelaus and his visitors to cry in remembrance of friends lost in Troy, what does Helen do to the wine?
4. How long do Odysseus and his men stay with Circe in Book 10?
5. Why doesn't the other Cyclops help Polyphemus in Book 9?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)