|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Nestor last see Odysseus?
2. Where does Calypso find Odysseus to tell him the news of his ordered release in Book 5?
(a) He's in her grotto asleep.
(b) He's swimming.
(c) He's crying on the beach.
(d) He's out in the forest building a hut.
3. Penelope learns about the suitors' plan for Telemachus from a page, but what does she learn from her sister's phantom?
(a) Telemachus is bringing an army.
(b) Telemachus is wise beyond his years.
(c) Telemachus isn't coming back.
(d) Telemachus is guided by Athene.
4. What is Nestor doing when Telemachus arrives in Pylos?
(a) He is holding a feast in honor of Poseidon.
(b) He is holding a feast in honor of Athene.
(c) He is holding a feast in honor of Hermes.
(d) He is holding a feast in honor of Zeus.
5. In Book 1, who seeks to punish Odysseus interminably?
6. In order to tell Telemachus of Odysseus' fate, where does Menelaus' tale begin?
7. Why doesn't Aeolus help Odysseus again?
(a) Odysseus squandered his gift.
(b) Odysseus is destested by the immortals.
(c) Aeolus cannot give the same gift twice.
(d) Odysseus's crew is disobedient.
8. According to Nestor, who wanted the Achaeans to suffer on the way home from Troy?
9. Once Ino gives Odysseus help to survive Poseidon assault on the open sea, how many more days does Odysseus drift until he sees land?
(a) Four days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Five days.
10. What is the purpose of Telemachus' quest?
(a) He has to find Odysseus.
(b) He has to assemble an army of heroes.
(c) He has to appeal to the gods for help.
(d) He is to find word or rumor about Odysseus and his fate.
11. Why, despite taking an oath, does Odysseus' crew slay some cattle of the Sun?
(a) They don't care about the warning Odysseus issued.
(b) They've run out of food.
(c) Eurylochus says that Odysseus is keeping the cattle for himself.
(d) They're bored.
12. Why doesn't the other Cyclops help Polyphemus in Book 9?
(a) They couldn't get past the boulder guarding the opening of his cave.
(b) He never helps anyone else.
(c) He always screams, so they didn't believe him.
(d) Polyphemus said "No man is murdering me."
13. What does Telemachus seek from the assembly above all?
14. Who tells Telemachus that it's time for him to behave like a man, not a child?
15. When does the magic cloud disperse from Odysseus?
(a) Before he gets to the castle.
(b) When he enters the castle.
(c) When he throws his arms around Arete's knees.
(d) While he stares at the abundant garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Telemachus going during this journey?
2. Why was Menelaus late returning from Troy?
3. With which hero did Odysseus first speak in Hades?
4. Athene instructs Nestor to help Telemachus on the next leg of his journey. What does he supply?
5. How does the Cyclops in Book 9 show hospitality?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)