|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With which hero did Odysseus first speak in Hades?
2. In Chapter 12, with his ship destroyed, Odysseus drifts until he reaches _____________.
3. While Telemachus is in Lycaedaemon, what plan do the suitors devise to punish Telemachus for leaving?
(a) To take Penelope away.
(b) To discredit him in Ithaca.
(c) To kill him on the open sea.
(d) To steal all his goods.
4. What is special about the cattle and flocks of the Sun?
(a) They are used for special feasts of the gods.
(b) They never die or have young.
(c) They are tended by the gods themselves.
(d) They are there for the wanderer to use.
5. Where is Odysseus at the beginning of the poem?
6. What form does Athena take to guide Odysseus to Alcinous' palace?
(a) A blind old man.
(b) A servant of the house.
(c) A young page.
(d) A young girl.
7. Calypso gives Odysseus many things to help him on his way including supplies for making his ship, provisions for his journey, and a(n) _____________.
(a) Enchanted sail.
(b) Gentle breeze.
8. Who killed Aegisthus for the murder of Agamemnon?
9. What sign is witnessed by the entire assembly when Telemachus calls upon Zeus for justice in Book 2?
(a) Lightning strikes a tree.
(b) Two eagles fly overhead.
(c) A woman screams and wails.
(d) Flames burst out in the center of the meeting.
10. Where does Calypso find Odysseus to tell him the news of his ordered release in Book 5?
(a) He's swimming.
(b) He's in her grotto asleep.
(c) He's crying on the beach.
(d) He's out in the forest building a hut.
11. In which contest in Book 8 does Odysseus first outstrip all others?
12. How did Odysseus appear after his bath in Book 6?
(a) Athena made him look younger.
(b) Athena made him look natural.
(c) Athena made him look taller and stouter.
(d) Athena made him look like a hero.
13. According to Nausicaa, to whom should Odysseus first appeal when he gets to the court in Book 6?
(a) Nausicaa's father.
(b) Nausicaa's oldest brother.
(c) One of the servants.
(d) Nausicaa's mother.
14. What is happening in Lacedaemon when Telemachus arrives?
(a) Menelaus and his household are holding a feast in honor of the gods.
(b) Menelaus is celebrating the marriage of his daughter.
(c) Menelaus is holding a funeral rite for his brother.
(d) Menelaus is celebrating a double marriage.
15. In Book 3, Nestor pledges to sacrifice a gold-tipped _______________ in Athene's honor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Aeolus help Odysseus again?
2. How many men does Odysseus lose to the Cyclops?
3. In Book 5, who orders Odysseus' release from Calypso?
4. In Book 7, why does Athena cloak Odysseus in clouds on his walk to the palace?
5. In Book 4, Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Helen tell?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)