|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nestor tell Telemachus about his relationship with Odysseus?
(a) They never agreed at council during the war.
(b) They never fought side by side during the war.
(c) They never differed at council during the war.
(d) They never spoke those nine years at war.
2. According to Nestor, who wanted the Achaeans to suffer on the way home from Troy?
3. Who killed Aegisthus for the murder of Agamemnon?
4. What is happening in Lacedaemon when Telemachus arrives?
(a) Menelaus is celebrating a double marriage.
(b) Menelaus is celebrating the marriage of his daughter.
(c) Menelaus is holding a funeral rite for his brother.
(d) Menelaus and his household are holding a feast in honor of the gods.
5. Where is Poseidon coming from when he sees Odysseus on his raft in Book 5?
(d) Mt. Olympus.
6. In what state do the Nausicaa's women, who are playing a game while waiting for the clothes to dry, find the sheltering Odysseus?
(a) He is wearing Ino's veil.
(b) He is completely naked.
(c) He is wearing the clothes that Calypso gave him, but they're a little ragged.
(d) He is covered in the sail from his raft.
7. Where does Calypso find Odysseus to tell him the news of his ordered release in Book 5?
(a) He's swimming.
(b) He's crying on the beach.
(c) He's out in the forest building a hut.
(d) He's in her grotto asleep.
8. How does Eurylochus convince Odysseus to land on Thrinacia?
(a) Odysseus is out of touch with his crew.
(b) Odysseus is reckless and has lost a lot of crew. They don't trust what he says.
(c) His men are tired and hungry. They need a break from the sea.
(d) They might not see land for days.
9. While Telemachus is in Lycaedaemon, what plan do the suitors devise to punish Telemachus for leaving?
(a) To steal all his goods.
(b) To discredit him in Ithaca.
(c) To kill him on the open sea.
(d) To take Penelope away.
10. What sign is witnessed by the entire assembly when Telemachus calls upon Zeus for justice in Book 2?
(a) Two eagles fly overhead.
(b) Lightning strikes a tree.
(c) A woman screams and wails.
(d) Flames burst out in the center of the meeting.
11. What is the subject of Demodocus' first song at Alcinous' feast in Book 8?
(a) The deeds and misdeeds of the gods.
(b) The end of the Trojan war.
(c) The famous quarrel between Odysseus and Achilles.
(d) The tragic end of Agamemnon.
12. What does Telemachus seek from the assembly above all?
13. According to Circe, how should Odysseus get past the Sirens while listening to their song?
(a) He just shouldn't listen to their song.
(b) He should be taken below deck.
(c) He should be bound to the mast.
(d) He should be fine without any precautions.
14. In order to tell Telemachus of Odysseus' fate, where does Menelaus' tale begin?
15. After leaving the lotus-eaters, what do Odysseus and his ships find in Book 9?
(a) A highly populated island filled with warlike people.
(b) An unspoiled land filled with goats.
(c) A land of man-eating giants.
(d) The pleasant island of Circe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Circe turn Odysseus' crew into in Book 10?
2. Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Menelaus tell?
3. How did Odysseus anger the god(dess) who seeks to punish him in Book 1?
4. Penelope learns about the suitors' plan for Telemachus from a page, but what does she learn from her sister's phantom?
5. Having left Ogygia and survived Poseidon's attack, what is Odysseus' new problem, now that he spots land?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)