|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once Ino gives Odysseus help to survive Poseidon assault on the open sea, how many more days does Odysseus drift until he sees land?
(a) Two days.
(b) Three days.
(c) Five days.
(d) Four days.
2. What does Telemachus seek from the assembly above all?
3. Which of his six remaining sons does Nestor send with Telemachus in Book 3?
4. How does the Cyclops in Book 9 show hospitality?
(a) He dashes two men's brains out and eats them.
(b) He offers them food and wine.
(c) He offers them food, wine, and a place to sleep.
(d) He gives them the stranger's gift.
5. Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Menelaus tell?
(a) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit for keeping the men still and quiet inside the horse.
(b) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit for gaining access and intelligence of Troy in the first place.
(c) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit forbuilding the horse so they wouldn't be detected.
(d) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit for contriving of the horse
6. What form does Athena take to guide Odysseus to Alcinous' palace?
(a) A blind old man.
(b) A young page.
(c) A young girl.
(d) A servant of the house.
7. Why did Odysseus and Ajax fight?
(a) It was for honor after they insulted each other.
(b) It was a sporting contest.
(c) It was contest to win Achilles' armor.
(d) It was for the gods' amusement.
8. In Book 5, who orders Odysseus' release from Calypso?
9. Which word best describes Odysseus' initial reaction when Calypso offers to help him in Book 5?
10. As a result of the meeting of the assembly in Book 2, what do the suitors decide to do?
(a) To court other women, too.
(b) Continue behaving as they have been.
(c) It's time to go home.
(d) It's time to give something back to Telemachus and his estate.
11. Who went disguised as a page in Book 8 throughout the town, encouraging people to hear about the stranger?
12. What does Odysseus receive from the thirteen kings of Phaecia?
(a) A slave and a chest of gold.
(b) A chest of gold and a chest of silver.
(c) A chest of gold each, and a well-wrought libations cup.
(d) A spotless robe and tunic and a talent of gold.
13. In whose grove of poplar trees is Odysseus told to wait before approaching the palace in Book 6?
14. By what type of people did the Phaecians once live?
15. Telemachus is overrun with ________, who sponge off of him and his estate, making no amends.
Short Answer Questions
1. While making announcements after Mentes' visit in Book 1, what else does Telemachus tell the suitors of his hall?
2. Which god(dess) visits Telemachus at the beginning of the poem?
3. What does the first spirit to visit Odysseus in Hades ask him to do?
4. Where is Poseidon coming from when he sees Odysseus on his raft in Book 5?
5. According to Teiresias' shade, what will help Odysseus and his crew make it home safely?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)