|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Eurylochus convince Odysseus to land on Thrinacia?
(a) His men are tired and hungry. They need a break from the sea.
(b) Odysseus is out of touch with his crew.
(c) Odysseus is reckless and has lost a lot of crew. They don't trust what he says.
(d) They might not see land for days.
2. What does Odysseus receive from the thirteen kings of Phaecia?
(a) A slave and a chest of gold.
(b) A spotless robe and tunic and a talent of gold.
(c) A chest of gold and a chest of silver.
(d) A chest of gold each, and a well-wrought libations cup.
3. In whose grove of poplar trees is Odysseus told to wait before approaching the palace in Book 6?
4. Where is Poseidon coming from when he sees Odysseus on his raft in Book 5?
(b) Mt. Olympus.
5. Once Ino gives Odysseus help to survive Poseidon assault on the open sea, how many more days does Odysseus drift until he sees land?
(a) Two days.
(b) Five days.
(c) Four days.
(d) Three days.
6. In Book 3, Nestor pledges to sacrifice a gold-tipped _______________ in Athene's honor.
7. In what state do the Nausicaa's women, who are playing a game while waiting for the clothes to dry, find the sheltering Odysseus?
(a) He is covered in the sail from his raft.
(b) He is wearing the clothes that Calypso gave him, but they're a little ragged.
(c) He is completely naked.
(d) He is wearing Ino's veil.
8. What advice does Circe give Odysseus regarding Scylla and Charybdis?
(a) Odysseus will need lots of courage.
(b) Ply these monsters with a few of his crew.
(c) Flight is best.
(d) Take down Scylla with the mast of his ship.
9. What is special about the cattle and flocks of the Sun?
(a) They are used for special feasts of the gods.
(b) They never die or have young.
(c) They are there for the wanderer to use.
(d) They are tended by the gods themselves.
10. In Book 5, who orders Odysseus' release from Calypso?
11. What is the subject of Demodocus' first song at Alcinous' feast in Book 8?
(a) The tragic end of Agamemnon.
(b) The end of the Trojan war.
(c) The famous quarrel between Odysseus and Achilles.
(d) The deeds and misdeeds of the gods.
12. In Book 7, why does Athena cloak Odysseus in clouds on his walk to the palace?
(a) She doesn't want Odysseus to get distracted.
(b) Phaecians are so friendly that he might be offered hospitality before he reaches Alcinous' palace.
(c) She doesn't want her uncle, Poseidon, to see that Odysseus has landed safely.
(d) Phaecians don't like strangers.
13. What form does Athena take to guide Odysseus to Alcinous' palace?
(a) A servant of the house.
(b) A young page.
(c) A blind old man.
(d) A young girl.
14. What does the first spirit to visit Odysseus in Hades ask him to do?
(a) Go back to Aeaea and observe his funeral rites.
(b) Take care of his father, Laertes.
(c) Kill one of his men because the gods detest him.
(d) Make more sacrifices at each place he stops.
15. Why does Nausicaa go to the river in Book 6?
(a) She wants to find a husband.
(b) She wants to enjoy the day with her maids, playing ball.
(c) She needs to bathe.
(d) She needs to do the wash for her family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening in Lacedaemon when Telemachus arrives?
2. Having left Ogygia and survived Poseidon's attack, what is Odysseus' new problem, now that he spots land?
3. In addition to offering advice, what else does Mentes from Taphos give to Telemachus?
4. Which word best describes Odysseus' initial reaction when Calypso offers to help him in Book 5?
5. What sign is witnessed by the entire assembly when Telemachus calls upon Zeus for justice in Book 2?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)