|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the other Cyclops help Polyphemus in Book 9?
(a) He always screams, so they didn't believe him.
(b) He never helps anyone else.
(c) They couldn't get past the boulder guarding the opening of his cave.
(d) Polyphemus said "No man is murdering me."
2. Athene instructs Nestor to help Telemachus on the next leg of his journey. What does he supply?
(a) Nestor gives Telemachus another ship and one of his sons.
(b) Nestor gives Telemachus horses and one of his sons.
(c) Nestor gives Telemachus supplies and a guide.
(d) Nestor gives Telemachus treasure, a map and one of his sons.
3. Why does Odysseus have to go to Hades in Book 10?
(a) He must see Hades and Persephone to ask for help.
(b) He must see the fallen heroes to ask for advice.
(c) To see Teiresias who will tell him how to get home.
(d) It's the gateway home.
4. While Telemachus is in Lycaedaemon, what plan do the suitors devise to punish Telemachus for leaving?
(a) To steal all his goods.
(b) To take Penelope away.
(c) To kill him on the open sea.
(d) To discredit him in Ithaca.
5. How many youths are chosen for the black ship that Alcinous will provide Odysseus?
6. What skill are Phaecian men skilled beyond others?
7. What color yarn does Nausicaa's mother spin?
(a) Sun-drenched gold.
(b) Meadow green.
(c) Sea purple.
(d) Sky blue.
8. Why, despite taking an oath, does Odysseus' crew slay some cattle of the Sun?
(a) They don't care about the warning Odysseus issued.
(b) They've run out of food.
(c) They're bored.
(d) Eurylochus says that Odysseus is keeping the cattle for himself.
9. How many men does Odysseus lose to the Cyclops?
10. Why did Odysseus and Ajax fight?
(a) It was a sporting contest.
(b) It was for honor after they insulted each other.
(c) It was for the gods' amusement.
(d) It was contest to win Achilles' armor.
11. How does Eurylochus convince Odysseus to land on Thrinacia?
(a) His men are tired and hungry. They need a break from the sea.
(b) Odysseus is reckless and has lost a lot of crew. They don't trust what he says.
(c) They might not see land for days.
(d) Odysseus is out of touch with his crew.
12. Who tells Telemachus that it's time for him to behave like a man, not a child?
13. In Chapter 12, with his ship destroyed, Odysseus drifts until he reaches _____________.
14. What is the purpose of Telemachus' quest?
(a) He has to assemble an army of heroes.
(b) He has to appeal to the gods for help.
(c) He has to find Odysseus.
(d) He is to find word or rumor about Odysseus and his fate.
15. How did Odysseus appear after his bath in Book 6?
(a) Athena made him look like a hero.
(b) Athena made him look younger.
(c) Athena made him look taller and stouter.
(d) Athena made him look natural.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aeolus give Odysseus in Book 10?
2. What does Mentes tell Telemachus in Book 1 that he must do?
3. In Book 1, who seeks to punish Odysseus interminably?
4. In what state do the Nausicaa's women, who are playing a game while waiting for the clothes to dry, find the sheltering Odysseus?
5. Where is Telemachus going during this journey?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)