|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who interrupts Phemius' sad song of the Achaeans in Book 1?
2. To whom does Odysseus pray while in the meadow awaiting the appropriate time to arrive at the palace in Book 6?
3. By what type of people did the Phaecians once live?
4. What advice does Agamemnon give to Odysseus regarding women in Book 11?
(a) Send your treasures ahead of yourself after so long an absence.
(b) Always be gentle with your wife.
(c) Tell a part and let a part be hid.
(d) Hide your ship and surprise her with your return.
5. How does Eurylochus react when Odysseus tells his crew to follow him to Circe's house?
(a) He tells the others to trust Odysseus.
(b) He tells the others it was Odysseus' fault that the others have perished, and that Odysseus is reckless.
(c) He tells the others that Circe will be kind if Odysseus is there.
(d) He tells the others it's a trap.
6. How many youths are chosen for the black ship that Alcinous will provide Odysseus?
7. Who helps Telemachus procure a ship and crew to begin his quest?
8. While Telemachus is in Lycaedaemon, what plan do the suitors devise to punish Telemachus for leaving?
(a) To steal all his goods.
(b) To take Penelope away.
(c) To kill him on the open sea.
(d) To discredit him in Ithaca.
9. What is the purpose of Telemachus' quest?
(a) He has to appeal to the gods for help.
(b) He has to find Odysseus.
(c) He is to find word or rumor about Odysseus and his fate.
(d) He has to assemble an army of heroes.
10. What is unique about Demodocus the bard?
(a) He is completely deaf.
(b) He is blind but gifted with delightful song.
(c) He can play a tune he's heard only once.
(d) He is a son of a Muse.
11. How did Odysseus appear after his bath in Book 6?
(a) Athena made him look younger.
(b) Athena made him look natural.
(c) Athena made him look taller and stouter.
(d) Athena made him look like a hero.
12. With which hero did Odysseus first speak in Hades?
13. Penelope learns about the suitors' plan for Telemachus from a page, but what does she learn from her sister's phantom?
(a) Telemachus is wise beyond his years.
(b) Telemachus is guided by Athene.
(c) Telemachus is bringing an army.
(d) Telemachus isn't coming back.
14. What does Aeolus give Odysseus in Book 10?
(a) A talent of gold.
(b) A warning.
(c) A nine year ox.
(d) A sack holding the winds.
15. According to Circe, how should Odysseus get past the Sirens while listening to their song?
(a) He just shouldn't listen to their song.
(b) He should be bound to the mast.
(c) He should be taken below deck.
(d) He should be fine without any precautions.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Odysseus and his men push away from the Cyclops island, what does Odysseus do?
2. Once Ino gives Odysseus help to survive Poseidon assault on the open sea, how many more days does Odysseus drift until he sees land?
3. Who tells Telemachus that it's time for him to behave like a man, not a child?
4. When sadness grips the feasting in her hall, causing Menelaus and his visitors to cry in remembrance of friends lost in Troy, what does Helen do to the wine?
5. In which contest in Book 8 does Odysseus first outstrip all others?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)