|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times has the meeting of the assembly occurred since Odysseus left?
(a) Five times.
(c) Ten times.
(d) It doesn't say.
2. Where is Poseidon coming from when he sees Odysseus on his raft in Book 5?
(c) Mt. Olympus.
3. What does Odysseus receive from the thirteen kings of Phaecia?
(a) A spotless robe and tunic and a talent of gold.
(b) A chest of gold each, and a well-wrought libations cup.
(c) A slave and a chest of gold.
(d) A chest of gold and a chest of silver.
4. What does Mentes tell Telemachus in Book 1 that he must do?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) Go on a quest.
(c) Thrust the suitors from the house.
(d) Make Penelope decide about marriage.
5. How did Odysseus anger the god(dess) who seeks to punish him in Book 1?
(a) He slaughtered some horses.
(b) He failed to make a proper sacrifice.
(c) He killed his own crew.
(d) He poked a cyclops' eye out.
6. In Book 4, Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Helen tell?
(a) The day Odysseus built the Trojan horse.
(b) The day Odysseus took her maid as a hostage to flee Troy.
(c) The day Odysseus got into the city in a beggar's disguise without suspicion.
(d) The day Odysseus brought her from Priam's house.
7. Why doesn't Aeolus help Odysseus again?
(a) Aeolus cannot give the same gift twice.
(b) Odysseus squandered his gift.
(c) Odysseus is destested by the immortals.
(d) Odysseus's crew is disobedient.
8. Why, despite taking an oath, does Odysseus' crew slay some cattle of the Sun?
(a) They've run out of food.
(b) Eurylochus says that Odysseus is keeping the cattle for himself.
(c) They're bored.
(d) They don't care about the warning Odysseus issued.
9. What advice does Circe give Odysseus regarding Scylla and Charybdis?
(a) Flight is best.
(b) Ply these monsters with a few of his crew.
(c) Odysseus will need lots of courage.
(d) Take down Scylla with the mast of his ship.
10. Who helps Telemachus procure a ship and crew to begin his quest?
11. Why does Odysseus have to go to Hades in Book 10?
(a) He must see Hades and Persephone to ask for help.
(b) To see Teiresias who will tell him how to get home.
(c) He must see the fallen heroes to ask for advice.
(d) It's the gateway home.
12. Where is Odysseus at the beginning of the poem?
13. In Book 1, who seeks to punish Odysseus interminably?
14. What does Aeolus give Odysseus in Book 10?
(a) A sack holding the winds.
(b) A warning.
(c) A talent of gold.
(d) A nine year ox.
15. Once Ino gives Odysseus help to survive Poseidon assault on the open sea, how many more days does Odysseus drift until he sees land?
(a) Five days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Four days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of Demodocus' first song at Alcinous' feast in Book 8?
2. In Book 5, who orders Odysseus' release from Calypso?
3. How does Athene reveal herself to the men gathered at Nestor's palace?
4. Who led the group which wanted to leave Troy immediately after the war?
5. In Chapter 12, with his ship destroyed, Odysseus drifts until he reaches _____________.
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)