|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Penelope learns about the suitors' plan for Telemachus from a page, but what does she learn from her sister's phantom?
(a) Telemachus isn't coming back.
(b) Telemachus is guided by Athene.
(c) Telemachus is bringing an army.
(d) Telemachus is wise beyond his years.
2. According to Teiresias' shade, what will help Odysseus and his crew make it home safely?
(a) They need to stay and question more spirits.
(b) They need to leave the cattle of the sun unharmed when they land on his island.
(c) They need to make a trip to Olympus.
(d) They need to sacrifice one of sun's cattle to appease Poseidon.
3. Why does Athena speak to Nausicaa in her dreams?
(a) She wants Nausicaa to discover Odysseus.
(b) She wants to tell Nausicaa that she hasn't been a good daughter or sister since she hasn't washed the clothes.
(c) She wants others to know that Nausicaa has a connection with the immortals.
(d) She wants Nausicaa to prepare for her upcoming marriage.
4. According to Circe, how should Odysseus get past the Sirens while listening to their song?
(a) He should be taken below deck.
(b) He should be fine without any precautions.
(c) He should be bound to the mast.
(d) He just shouldn't listen to their song.
5. As a result of the meeting of the assembly in Book 2, what do the suitors decide to do?
(a) It's time to go home.
(b) It's time to give something back to Telemachus and his estate.
(c) To court other women, too.
(d) Continue behaving as they have been.
6. Why were Menelaus and his ships stuck for 20 days?
(a) He was disoriented.
(b) No winds stirred.
(c) He wanted to acquire more treasure.
(d) He failed to make a proper sacrifice.
7. Who helps Telemachus procure a ship and crew to begin his quest?
8. How did Odysseus appear after his bath in Book 6?
(a) Athena made him look younger.
(b) Athena made him look natural.
(c) Athena made him look taller and stouter.
(d) Athena made him look like a hero.
9. In Chapter 12, with his ship destroyed, Odysseus drifts until he reaches _____________.
10. Why doesn't Aeolus help Odysseus again?
(a) Odysseus is destested by the immortals.
(b) Aeolus cannot give the same gift twice.
(c) Odysseus squandered his gift.
(d) Odysseus's crew is disobedient.
11. What does Telemachus seek from the assembly above all?
12. Why did Odysseus and Ajax fight?
(a) It was a sporting contest.
(b) It was for honor after they insulted each other.
(c) It was for the gods' amusement.
(d) It was contest to win Achilles' armor.
13. Telemachus is overrun with ________, who sponge off of him and his estate, making no amends.
14. Who went disguised as a page in Book 8 throughout the town, encouraging people to hear about the stranger?
15. According to Nestor, who wanted the Achaeans to suffer on the way home from Troy?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does it take Odysseus to make his preparations and finally leave Ogygia?
2. Where is Telemachus going during this journey?
3. What does Poseidon call to disrupt Odysseus' easy passage to Phaecia?
4. To whom does Odysseus pray while in the meadow awaiting the appropriate time to arrive at the palace in Book 6?
5. How many youths are chosen for the black ship that Alcinous will provide Odysseus?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)