Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word best describes Odysseus' initial reaction when Calypso offers to help him in Book 5?
2. According to Nestor, who wanted the Achaeans to suffer on the way home from Troy?
3. What does Telemachus seek from the assembly above all?
4. Where is Poseidon coming from when he sees Odysseus on his raft in Book 5?
(b) Mt. Olympus.
5. Odysseus and his men have just landed on an island after the lotus-eaters. Why does Odysseus leave this place the next morning?
(a) He wants to please Zeus since they've angered him.
(b) He wants to hurry home because he has a bad feeling.
(c) He wants to investigate another island from which smoke can be seen.
(d) He wants to gather more treasure.
6. What is special about the cattle and flocks of the Sun?
(a) They are tended by the gods themselves.
(b) They are used for special feasts of the gods.
(c) They are there for the wanderer to use.
(d) They never die or have young.
7. When sadness grips the feasting in her hall, causing Menelaus and his visitors to cry in remembrance of friends lost in Troy, what does Helen do to the wine?
(a) She adds a drug.
(b) She adds herbs to sweeten it.
(c) She pours it for the men.
(d) She warms it.
8. Which of his six remaining sons does Nestor send with Telemachus in Book 3?
9. According to Nausicaa, to whom should Odysseus first appeal when he gets to the court in Book 6?
(a) Nausicaa's oldest brother.
(b) One of the servants.
(c) Nausicaa's mother.
(d) Nausicaa's father.
10. Who first notices Odysseus' clothes in Alcinous' house?
11. In Book 5, who orders Odysseus' release from Calypso?
12. How many times has the meeting of the assembly occurred since Odysseus left?
(a) Five times.
(b) It doesn't say.
(c) Ten times.
13. In which contest in Book 8 does Odysseus first outstrip all others?
14. Why does Athena speak to Nausicaa in her dreams?
(a) She wants to tell Nausicaa that she hasn't been a good daughter or sister since she hasn't washed the clothes.
(b) She wants Nausicaa to discover Odysseus.
(c) She wants others to know that Nausicaa has a connection with the immortals.
(d) She wants Nausicaa to prepare for her upcoming marriage.
15. What does Menelaus give to Telemachus when Telemachus politely refuses his other gifts?
(a) A goodly cup.
(b) Soldiers with which to vanquish the suitors.
(c) A well-wrought silver bowl.
(d) A polished car.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets Telemachus' supplies of wine and barley for his quest?
2. What sign is witnessed by the entire assembly when Telemachus calls upon Zeus for justice in Book 2?
3. What advice does Circe give Odysseus regarding Scylla and Charybdis?
4. Where does Telemachus stay when Nestor's feast is over?
5. Where is Odysseus at the beginning of the poem?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)