|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what type of people did the Phaecians once live?
2. In what state do the Nausicaa's women, who are playing a game while waiting for the clothes to dry, find the sheltering Odysseus?
(a) He is wearing Ino's veil.
(b) He is wearing the clothes that Calypso gave him, but they're a little ragged.
(c) He is completely naked.
(d) He is covered in the sail from his raft.
3. Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Menelaus tell?
(a) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit for contriving of the horse
(b) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit for keeping the men still and quiet inside the horse.
(c) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit forbuilding the horse so they wouldn't be detected.
(d) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit for gaining access and intelligence of Troy in the first place.
4. How does Eurylochus react when Odysseus tells his crew to follow him to Circe's house?
(a) He tells the others it's a trap.
(b) He tells the others it was Odysseus' fault that the others have perished, and that Odysseus is reckless.
(c) He tells the others that Circe will be kind if Odysseus is there.
(d) He tells the others to trust Odysseus.
5. Telemachus is overrun with ________, who sponge off of him and his estate, making no amends.
6. Where is Odysseus at the beginning of the poem?
7. What does Menelaus give to Telemachus when Telemachus politely refuses his other gifts?
(a) A well-wrought silver bowl.
(b) Soldiers with which to vanquish the suitors.
(c) A goodly cup.
(d) A polished car.
8. According to Book 4, who did Menelaus capture?
9. How does Penelope keep from marrying one of the suitors?
(a) She employs piety and sacrifice.
(b) She practices prophecy and witchcraft.
(c) She uses cunning and craft.
(d) She uses sickness and excuses.
10. In which contest in Book 8 does Odysseus first outstrip all others?
11. While Telemachus is in Lycaedaemon, what plan do the suitors devise to punish Telemachus for leaving?
(a) To steal all his goods.
(b) To take Penelope away.
(c) To discredit him in Ithaca.
(d) To kill him on the open sea.
12. Why does Odysseus have to go to Hades in Book 10?
(a) He must see Hades and Persephone to ask for help.
(b) He must see the fallen heroes to ask for advice.
(c) It's the gateway home.
(d) To see Teiresias who will tell him how to get home.
13. In whose grove of poplar trees is Odysseus told to wait before approaching the palace in Book 6?
14. Why does Nausicaa go to the river in Book 6?
(a) She needs to bathe.
(b) She needs to do the wash for her family.
(c) She wants to find a husband.
(d) She wants to enjoy the day with her maids, playing ball.
15. Who gets Telemachus' supplies of wine and barley for his quest?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Aeolus help Odysseus again?
2. What skill are Phaecian men skilled beyond others?
3. Who tells Telemachus that it's time for him to behave like a man, not a child?
4. In Book 7, why does Athena cloak Odysseus in clouds on his walk to the palace?
5. How long do Odysseus and his men stay with Circe in Book 10?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)