|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving the lotus-eaters, what do Odysseus and his ships find in Book 9?
(a) A highly populated island filled with warlike people.
(b) The pleasant island of Circe.
(c) An unspoiled land filled with goats.
(d) A land of man-eating giants.
2. Where does Calypso find Odysseus to tell him the news of his ordered release in Book 5?
(a) He's in her grotto asleep.
(b) He's out in the forest building a hut.
(c) He's crying on the beach.
(d) He's swimming.
3. During this assembly, who does Antinous blame for Telemachus' problem?
(d) The gods.
4. According to Circe, how should Odysseus get past the Sirens while listening to their song?
(a) He should be taken below deck.
(b) He should be fine without any precautions.
(c) He just shouldn't listen to their song.
(d) He should be bound to the mast.
5. What is special about the cattle and flocks of the Sun?
(a) They are used for special feasts of the gods.
(b) They never die or have young.
(c) They are tended by the gods themselves.
(d) They are there for the wanderer to use.
6. What form does Athena take to guide Odysseus to Alcinous' palace?
(a) A servant of the house.
(b) A blind old man.
(c) A young page.
(d) A young girl.
7. Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Menelaus tell?
(a) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit for gaining access and intelligence of Troy in the first place.
(b) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit for contriving of the horse
(c) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit for keeping the men still and quiet inside the horse.
(d) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit forbuilding the horse so they wouldn't be detected.
8. Athene instructs Nestor to help Telemachus on the next leg of his journey. What does he supply?
(a) Nestor gives Telemachus another ship and one of his sons.
(b) Nestor gives Telemachus treasure, a map and one of his sons.
(c) Nestor gives Telemachus supplies and a guide.
(d) Nestor gives Telemachus horses and one of his sons.
9. Odysseus and his men have just landed on an island after the lotus-eaters. Why does Odysseus leave this place the next morning?
(a) He wants to gather more treasure.
(b) He wants to investigate another island from which smoke can be seen.
(c) He wants to please Zeus since they've angered him.
(d) He wants to hurry home because he has a bad feeling.
10. Who reads the sign given while Telemachus calls upon Zeus in Book 2?
11. What is the purpose of Telemachus' quest?
(a) He has to find Odysseus.
(b) He has to appeal to the gods for help.
(c) He is to find word or rumor about Odysseus and his fate.
(d) He has to assemble an army of heroes.
12. How many men does Odysseus lose to the Cyclops?
13. Telemachus is overrun with ________, who sponge off of him and his estate, making no amends.
14. What color yarn does Nausicaa's mother spin?
(a) Sun-drenched gold.
(b) Sea purple.
(c) Sky blue.
(d) Meadow green.
15. What does Odysseus receive from the thirteen kings of Phaecia?
(a) A chest of gold and a chest of silver.
(b) A chest of gold each, and a well-wrought libations cup.
(c) A slave and a chest of gold.
(d) A spotless robe and tunic and a talent of gold.
Short Answer Questions
1. Calypso gives Odysseus many things to help him on his way including supplies for making his ship, provisions for his journey, and a(n) _____________.
2. In addition to offering advice, what else does Mentes from Taphos give to Telemachus?
3. Why did Odysseus and Ajax fight?
4. According to Halitherses in Book 2, how long will Odysseus be gone before he returns to his friends and family?
5. What does Menelaus give to Telemachus when Telemachus politely refuses his other gifts?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)