Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - Book 1
1. Explain the circumstances that lead Athene to intervene on Odysseus' behalf at the very beginning of the poem.
2. Why does Telemachus take advice from Mentes, a relative stranger to him, in Book 1?
3. Why does Telemachus lie to Antinous and Eurymachus, telling them Odysseus is dead?
4. Describe the suitors' reaction to Telemachus calling a meeting of the assembly in Book 1.
Short Essay Question - Book 2
5. Enumerate Telemachus' problem - why has he called the leaders of Ithaca together?
This section contains 938 words|
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)