|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Book 13, what else does Alcinous decide to give Odysseus once his tale is over?
(a) Some cattle.
(b) More garments.
(c) A cauldron and a large tripod.
(d) More gold.
2. What is the purpose of Telemachus' quest?
(a) He is to find word or rumor about Odysseus and his fate.
(b) He has to find Odysseus.
(c) He has to assemble an army of heroes.
(d) He has to appeal to the gods for help.
3. What does Aeolus give Odysseus in Book 10?
(a) A nine year ox.
(b) A warning.
(c) A sack holding the winds.
(d) A talent of gold.
4. How many times has the meeting of the assembly occurred since Odysseus left?
(a) It doesn't say.
(b) Five times.
(d) Ten times.
5. Having left Ogygia and survived Poseidon's attack, what is Odysseus' new problem, now that he spots land?
(a) The coast is a bluff and jagged reefs.
(b) The sea is deep as it ends abruptly on the steep bluff.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) There is no safe harbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to tell Telemachus of Odysseus' fate, where does Menelaus' tale begin?
2. How does Eurylochus react when Odysseus tells his crew to follow him to Circe's house?
3. What gift does Helen give to Telemachus as he is preparing to leave Lacedaemon?
4. How does Eurycleia recognize Odysseus the beggar as Odysseus in Book 19?
5. How many youths are chosen for the black ship that Alcinous will provide Odysseus?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)