|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When sadness grips the feasting in her hall, causing Menelaus and his visitors to cry in remembrance of friends lost in Troy, what does Helen do to the wine?
(a) She adds herbs to sweeten it.
(b) She adds a drug.
(c) She warms it.
(d) She pours it for the men.
2. What does Odysseus receive from the thirteen kings of Phaecia?
(a) A chest of gold each, and a well-wrought libations cup.
(b) A chest of gold and a chest of silver.
(c) A spotless robe and tunic and a talent of gold.
(d) A slave and a chest of gold.
3. In Book 4, Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Helen tell?
(a) The day Odysseus took her maid as a hostage to flee Troy.
(b) The day Odysseus built the Trojan horse.
(c) The day Odysseus brought her from Priam's house.
(d) The day Odysseus got into the city in a beggar's disguise without suspicion.
4. What color yarn does Nausicaa's mother spin?
(a) Meadow green.
(b) Sky blue.
(c) Sun-drenched gold.
(d) Sea purple.
5. Where is Odysseus at the beginning of the poem?
Short Answer Questions
1. What sign is witnessed by the entire assembly when Telemachus calls upon Zeus for justice in Book 2?
2. To whom does Odysseus pray while in the meadow awaiting the appropriate time to arrive at the palace in Book 6?
3. Who reads the sign given while Telemachus calls upon Zeus in Book 2?
4. In Book 7, why does Athena cloak Odysseus in clouds on his walk to the palace?
5. Why, despite taking an oath, does Odysseus' crew slay some cattle of the Sun?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)