|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Menelaus first reveal regarding Odysseus when Telemachus tells Menelaus who he is and the purpose of his visit?
(a) Odysseus' problems are his own.
(b) Telemachus looks nothing like his father.
(c) He would have given Odysseus a city upon his return from Troy.
(d) Odysseus is not worth anyone's tears.
2. In Book 7, why does Athena cloak Odysseus in clouds on his walk to the palace?
(a) She doesn't want her uncle, Poseidon, to see that Odysseus has landed safely.
(b) She doesn't want Odysseus to get distracted.
(c) Phaecians don't like strangers.
(d) Phaecians are so friendly that he might be offered hospitality before he reaches Alcinous' palace.
3. What does the first spirit to visit Odysseus in Hades ask him to do?
(a) Go back to Aeaea and observe his funeral rites.
(b) Make more sacrifices at each place he stops.
(c) Take care of his father, Laertes.
(d) Kill one of his men because the gods detest him.
4. According to Penelope, when did Odysseus say it was acceptable for her to remarry?
(a) When 21 years have passed.
(b) When Telemachus is a bearded man.
(c) After Telemachus gets married.
(d) When Laertes dies.
5. What does Menelaus give to Telemachus when Telemachus politely refuses his other gifts?
(a) A polished car.
(b) A goodly cup.
(c) Soldiers with which to vanquish the suitors.
(d) A well-wrought silver bowl.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the suitors view the fight between the two beggars in Book 18?
2. Why does Telemachus take Theoclymenus on his ship home?
3. In Book 16, Where do Telemachus' gifts go?
4. How does Athene disguise Odysseus on Ithaca?
5. Why doesn't Eumaeus want the old man to tell him tales of his master?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)