|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Menelaus first reveal regarding Odysseus when Telemachus tells Menelaus who he is and the purpose of his visit?
(a) Odysseus is not worth anyone's tears.
(b) He would have given Odysseus a city upon his return from Troy.
(c) Telemachus looks nothing like his father.
(d) Odysseus' problems are his own.
2. What skill are Phaecian men skilled beyond others?
3. What is the subject of Demodocus' first song at Alcinous' feast in Book 8?
(a) The famous quarrel between Odysseus and Achilles.
(b) The end of the Trojan war.
(c) The tragic end of Agamemnon.
(d) The deeds and misdeeds of the gods.
4. How does Athene reveal herself to the men gathered at Nestor's palace?
(a) She transforms into a horse before their eyes.
(b) She transforms into a heifer before their eyes.
(c) She transforms into mist before their eyes.
(d) She transforms into an osprey before their eyes.
5. According to Nestor, who wanted the Achaeans to suffer on the way home from Troy?
Short Answer Questions
1. When sadness grips the feasting in her hall, causing Menelaus and his visitors to cry in remembrance of friends lost in Troy, what does Helen do to the wine?
2. Which word best describes Odysseus' initial reaction when Calypso offers to help him in Book 5?
3. Why was Menelaus late returning from Troy?
4. Where did Nestor last see Odysseus?
5. In order to tell Telemachus of Odysseus' fate, where does Menelaus' tale begin?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)