|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who interprets the sign of the eagle and the goose as Telemachus and Peisistratus are leaving Lacedaemon?
2. Why doesn't Eumaeus want the old man to tell him tales of his master?
(a) Many travelers will tell tales for food and clothing.
(b) He's been told not to speak Odysseus' name.
(c) It doesn't look like he has the means to travel.
(d) He's convinced Odysseus is dead.
3. In which contest in Book 8 does Odysseus first outstrip all others?
4. Penelope learns about the suitors' plan for Telemachus from a page, but what does she learn from her sister's phantom?
(a) Telemachus is guided by Athene.
(b) Telemachus is bringing an army.
(c) Telemachus isn't coming back.
(d) Telemachus is wise beyond his years.
5. In Book 7, why does Athena cloak Odysseus in clouds on his walk to the palace?
(a) Phaecians are so friendly that he might be offered hospitality before he reaches Alcinous' palace.
(b) She doesn't want her uncle, Poseidon, to see that Odysseus has landed safely.
(c) Phaecians don't like strangers.
(d) She doesn't want Odysseus to get distracted.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the magic cloud disperse from Odysseus?
2. How does Eurylochus convince Odysseus to land on Thrinacia?
3. According to Nausicaa, to whom should Odysseus first appeal when he gets to the court in Book 6?
4. Why was Menelaus late returning from Troy?
5. How is Odysseus, the old stranger, received by the swineherd in Book 14?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)