|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 7, why does Athena cloak Odysseus in clouds on his walk to the palace?
(a) She doesn't want Odysseus to get distracted.
(b) She doesn't want her uncle, Poseidon, to see that Odysseus has landed safely.
(c) Phaecians are so friendly that he might be offered hospitality before he reaches Alcinous' palace.
(d) Phaecians don't like strangers.
2. How does the Cyclops in Book 9 show hospitality?
(a) He offers them food, wine, and a place to sleep.
(b) He offers them food and wine.
(c) He gives them the stranger's gift.
(d) He dashes two men's brains out and eats them.
3. In Book 3, Nestor pledges to sacrifice a gold-tipped _______________ in Athene's honor.
4. With which hero did Odysseus first speak in Hades?
5. Who speaks up in Book 7 to ask that Odysseus be given a seat in the court of Alcinous since he has come as a supplicant?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which god(dess) visits Telemachus at the beginning of the poem?
2. How does Eumaeus greet Telemachus upon his return in Book 16?
3. Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Menelaus tell?
4. Who helps Telemachus procure a ship and crew to begin his quest?
5. Once Odysseus realizes he's in Ithaca, what does Athene advise him to do?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)