|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nestor doing when Telemachus arrives in Pylos?
(a) He is holding a feast in honor of Athene.
(b) He is holding a feast in honor of Hermes.
(c) He is holding a feast in honor of Zeus.
(d) He is holding a feast in honor of Poseidon.
2. How many days does it take Odysseus to make his preparations and finally leave Ogygia?
(a) Three days.
(b) Six days.
(c) Five days.
(d) Four days.
3. Where did Menelaus get the gift he gave to Telemachus?
(a) From his wife as a wedding present.
(b) From Troy as a spoil of war.
(c) From a king who sheltered him.
(d) From an immortal when he was close to death.
4. What announcement does Telemachus make to the suitors of his hall in Book 1?
(a) His father is alive.
(b) He's going to call a meeting of the assembly and formally ask the suitors to leave.
(c) He's going to go on a trip.
(d) He's been visited by the goddess Athena, and they should change their ways.
5. Once Odysseus realizes he's in Ithaca, what does Athene advise him to do?
(a) Reveal himself to his loyal swineherd.
(b) Disguise himself and see the suitors.
(c) Send a secret message to Penelope.
(d) Hide his goods in a corner of the nearby cave.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Athene reveal herself to the men gathered at Nestor's palace?
2. When captured by Menelaus, who had been stuck for 20 days, what did this being reveal to him to get his freedom?
3. When sadness grips the feasting in her hall, causing Menelaus and his visitors to cry in remembrance of friends lost in Troy, what does Helen do to the wine?
4. According to Teiresias' shade, what will help Odysseus and his crew make it home safely?
5. Athene instructs Nestor to help Telemachus on the next leg of his journey. What does he supply?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)