|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his battle with Poseidon in Book 5, where does Odysseus find shelter in the land on which he has just arrived?
(a) He goes into the woods and finds a couple of shrubs to provide shelter and comfort.
(b) He decides to go into the hills to find a cave.
(c) A man approaches and shows him a place used by hunters.
(d) He creates a makeshift shelter with nearby debris.
2. What is the subject of Demodocus' first song at Alcinous' feast in Book 8?
(a) The deeds and misdeeds of the gods.
(b) The tragic end of Agamemnon.
(c) The end of the Trojan war.
(d) The famous quarrel between Odysseus and Achilles.
3. Calypso gives Odysseus many things to help him on his way including supplies for making his ship, provisions for his journey, and a(n) _____________.
(b) Gentle breeze.
(c) Enchanted sail.
4. In Book 4, Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Helen tell?
(a) The day Odysseus took her maid as a hostage to flee Troy.
(b) The day Odysseus brought her from Priam's house.
(c) The day Odysseus got into the city in a beggar's disguise without suspicion.
(d) The day Odysseus built the Trojan horse.
5. What is Nestor doing when Telemachus arrives in Pylos?
(a) He is holding a feast in honor of Athene.
(b) He is holding a feast in honor of Zeus.
(c) He is holding a feast in honor of Hermes.
(d) He is holding a feast in honor of Poseidon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Menelaus give to Telemachus when Telemachus politely refuses his other gifts?
2. In addition to offering advice, what else does Mentes from Taphos give to Telemachus?
3. According to Book 4, who did Menelaus capture?
4. According to Nausicaa, to whom should Odysseus first appeal when he gets to the court in Book 6?
5. In what state do the Nausicaa's women, who are playing a game while waiting for the clothes to dry, find the sheltering Odysseus?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)