|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were Menelaus and his ships stuck for 20 days?
(a) He failed to make a proper sacrifice.
(b) He wanted to acquire more treasure.
(c) No winds stirred.
(d) He was disoriented.
2. Where did Nestor last see Odysseus?
3. What is unique about Demodocus the bard?
(a) He is a son of a Muse.
(b) He can play a tune he's heard only once.
(c) He is completely deaf.
(d) He is blind but gifted with delightful song.
4. When captured by Menelaus, who had been stuck for 20 days, what did this being reveal to him to get his freedom?
(a) Menelaus is told how to get vengeance for his brother.
(b) Menelaus is told how to get home, as well as the fate of three of his friends.
(c) Menelaus is told how to get home and acquire more treasure.
(d) Menelaus is told how to get Helen back.
5. In Book 4, Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Helen tell?
(a) The day Odysseus got into the city in a beggar's disguise without suspicion.
(b) The day Odysseus built the Trojan horse.
(c) The day Odysseus took her maid as a hostage to flee Troy.
(d) The day Odysseus brought her from Priam's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to tell Telemachus of Odysseus' fate, where does Menelaus' tale begin?
2. What is the purpose of Telemachus' quest?
3. Which of his six remaining sons does Nestor send with Telemachus in Book 3?
4. In Book 3, Nestor pledges to sacrifice a gold-tipped _______________ in Athene's honor.
5. In addition to offering advice, what else does Mentes from Taphos give to Telemachus?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)