|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mentes tell Telemachus in Book 1 that he must do?
(a) Go on a quest.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Make Penelope decide about marriage.
(d) Thrust the suitors from the house.
2. What does Menelaus first reveal regarding Odysseus when Telemachus tells Menelaus who he is and the purpose of his visit?
(a) Odysseus' problems are his own.
(b) Odysseus is not worth anyone's tears.
(c) He would have given Odysseus a city upon his return from Troy.
(d) Telemachus looks nothing like his father.
3. What sign is witnessed by the entire assembly when Telemachus calls upon Zeus for justice in Book 2?
(a) Lightning strikes a tree.
(b) Two eagles fly overhead.
(c) A woman screams and wails.
(d) Flames burst out in the center of the meeting.
4. In addition to offering advice, what else does Mentes from Taphos give to Telemachus?
(a) He gives word of Odysseus.
(b) He brings lavish presents.
(c) He gives a prophecy of the gods.
(d) He brings a warning to the suitors.
5. How does the Cyclops in Book 9 show hospitality?
(a) He dashes two men's brains out and eats them.
(b) He gives them the stranger's gift.
(c) He offers them food and wine.
(d) He offers them food, wine, and a place to sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Menelaus late returning from Troy?
2. While Telemachus is in Lycaedaemon, what plan do the suitors devise to punish Telemachus for leaving?
3. What does Ino give Odysseus to save his life when he loses his raft to Poseidon?
4. According to Book 4, who did Menelaus capture?
5. What color yarn does Nausicaa's mother spin?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)