|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 7, why does Athena cloak Odysseus in clouds on his walk to the palace?
(a) She doesn't want her uncle, Poseidon, to see that Odysseus has landed safely.
(b) She doesn't want Odysseus to get distracted.
(c) Phaecians don't like strangers.
(d) Phaecians are so friendly that he might be offered hospitality before he reaches Alcinous' palace.
2. What does Ino give Odysseus to save his life when he loses his raft to Poseidon?
(a) A magic sail.
(b) A raft.
(c) A veil.
(d) A ride on dolphins.
3. How many times has the meeting of the assembly occurred since Odysseus left?
(b) It doesn't say.
(c) Five times.
(d) Ten times.
4. What is happening in Lacedaemon when Telemachus arrives?
(a) Menelaus is holding a funeral rite for his brother.
(b) Menelaus is celebrating a double marriage.
(c) Menelaus is celebrating the marriage of his daughter.
(d) Menelaus and his household are holding a feast in honor of the gods.
5. According to Nausicaa, to whom should Odysseus first appeal when he gets to the court in Book 6?
(a) Nausicaa's oldest brother.
(b) One of the servants.
(c) Nausicaa's father.
(d) Nausicaa's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 5, who orders Odysseus' release from Calypso?
2. Why does Nausicaa go to the river in Book 6?
3. In addition to offering advice, what else does Mentes from Taphos give to Telemachus?
4. Odysseus and his men have just landed on an island after the lotus-eaters. Why does Odysseus leave this place the next morning?
5. When sadness grips the feasting in her hall, causing Menelaus and his visitors to cry in remembrance of friends lost in Troy, what does Helen do to the wine?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)