|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What skill are Phaecian men skilled beyond others?
2. Floating with the aid of Ino and safe from Poseidon in Book 5, how does Odysseus make it to dry land when he first sees it?
(a) He swims until he finds a boat.
(b) He swims until he finds a river.
(c) He swims until he finds a harbor.
(d) He swims until he finds a beach.
3. Telemachus is overrun with ________, who sponge off of him and his estate, making no amends.
4. In addition to offering advice, what else does Mentes from Taphos give to Telemachus?
(a) He brings lavish presents.
(b) He gives word of Odysseus.
(c) He brings a warning to the suitors.
(d) He gives a prophecy of the gods.
5. Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Menelaus tell?
(a) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit for contriving of the horse
(b) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit for gaining access and intelligence of Troy in the first place.
(c) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit forbuilding the horse so they wouldn't be detected.
(d) Menelaus gives Odysseus credit for keeping the men still and quiet inside the horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 3, Nestor pledges to sacrifice a gold-tipped _______________ in Athene's honor.
2. Which word best describes Odysseus' initial reaction when Calypso offers to help him in Book 5?
3. How long have the suitors been coming to Odysseus' home?
4. In what state do the Nausicaa's women, who are playing a game while waiting for the clothes to dry, find the sheltering Odysseus?
5. What is unique about Demodocus the bard?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)