|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Odysseus at the beginning of the poem?
2. While making announcements after Mentes' visit in Book 1, what else does Telemachus tell the suitors of his hall?
(a) Odysseus is dead.
(b) He will be King of Ithaca.
(c) Odysseus is alive, and he's going to find him.
(d) They can stay as long as they like.
3. In addition to offering advice, what else does Mentes from Taphos give to Telemachus?
(a) He gives a prophecy of the gods.
(b) He gives word of Odysseus.
(c) He brings a warning to the suitors.
(d) He brings lavish presents.
4. Penelope learns about the suitors' plan for Telemachus from a page, but what does she learn from her sister's phantom?
(a) Telemachus is wise beyond his years.
(b) Telemachus is guided by Athene.
(c) Telemachus is bringing an army.
(d) Telemachus isn't coming back.
5. Why were Menelaus and his ships stuck for 20 days?
(a) He failed to make a proper sacrifice.
(b) He was disoriented.
(c) No winds stirred.
(d) He wanted to acquire more treasure.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Odysseus anger the god(dess) who seeks to punish him in Book 1?
2. What does Menelaus first reveal regarding Odysseus when Telemachus tells Menelaus who he is and the purpose of his visit?
3. Who gets Telemachus' supplies of wine and barley for his quest?
4. What is Nestor doing when Telemachus arrives in Pylos?
5. As a result of the meeting of the assembly in Book 2, what do the suitors decide to do?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)