|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sign is witnessed by the entire assembly when Telemachus calls upon Zeus for justice in Book 2?
(a) Flames burst out in the center of the meeting.
(b) A woman screams and wails.
(c) Lightning strikes a tree.
(d) Two eagles fly overhead.
2. Which god(dess) visits Telemachus at the beginning of the poem?
3. In Book 4, Helen and Menelaus tell tales of Odysseus' exploits in Troy. What story does Helen tell?
(a) The day Odysseus got into the city in a beggar's disguise without suspicion.
(b) The day Odysseus built the Trojan horse.
(c) The day Odysseus took her maid as a hostage to flee Troy.
(d) The day Odysseus brought her from Priam's house.
4. What announcement does Telemachus make to the suitors of his hall in Book 1?
(a) His father is alive.
(b) He's going to call a meeting of the assembly and formally ask the suitors to leave.
(c) He's been visited by the goddess Athena, and they should change their ways.
(d) He's going to go on a trip.
5. What is happening in Lacedaemon when Telemachus arrives?
(a) Menelaus is celebrating a double marriage.
(b) Menelaus and his household are holding a feast in honor of the gods.
(c) Menelaus is holding a funeral rite for his brother.
(d) Menelaus is celebrating the marriage of his daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reads the sign given while Telemachus calls upon Zeus in Book 2?
2. Who led the group which wanted to leave Troy immediately after the war?
3. Where is Odysseus at the beginning of the poem?
4. When captured by Menelaus, who had been stuck for 20 days, what did this being reveal to him to get his freedom?
5. Why were Menelaus and his ships stuck for 20 days?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)