|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Odysseus, the old stranger, received by the swineherd in Book 14?
(a) With indifference - he's only going through the motions.
(b) Poorly - the swineherd sets the dogs on him.
(c) With much hospitality despite his appearance.
(d) With suspicion - strangers tell tall tales about Odysseus' whereabouts.
2. Who betrayed Penelope's loom of deceit?
(a) Her slave maids told the suitors after three years.
(b) It took them two years, but they figured it out themselves.
(c) She was caught by the suitors after five years.
(d) She was caught by the suitors in the fourth year.
3. Where does Telemachus stay when Nestor's feast is over?
(a) Beneath the portico at Nestor's house.
(b) In the woods near Nestor's house.
(c) With his men aboard the ship.
(d) In Nestor's garden.
4. In Chapter 12, with his ship destroyed, Odysseus drifts until he reaches _____________.
5. Why does Odysseus find sleep difficult in his home in Book 20?
(a) He's wondering how he is going to slay the suitors alone.
(b) He picked an uncomfortable spot to keep up his rouse.
(c) He wishes to be in his marriage bed.
(d) With the old body that Athene has given, he has many aches and pains.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who led the group which wanted to leave Troy immediately after the war?
2. How long do Odysseus and his men stay with Circe in Book 10?
3. When sadness grips the feasting in her hall, causing Menelaus and his visitors to cry in remembrance of friends lost in Troy, what does Helen do to the wine?
4. Why are there so few boars among Odysseus' swine in Book 14?
5. How does Eurycleia recognize Odysseus the beggar as Odysseus in Book 19?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)