|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who first notices Odysseus' clothes in Alcinous' house?
2. Why does Odysseus have to go to Hades in Book 10?
(a) It's the gateway home.
(b) To see Teiresias who will tell him how to get home.
(c) He must see the fallen heroes to ask for advice.
(d) He must see Hades and Persephone to ask for help.
3. What is Nausicaa's greatest concern for the trip back to her father's house from the river?
(a) She's worried that Odysseus will get lost.
(b) She's worried that Odysseus will act immodestly, causing her shame.
(c) She's worried that Odysseus isn't strong enough to make it.
(d) She's worried about her reputation.
4. What does Menelaus first reveal regarding Odysseus when Telemachus tells Menelaus who he is and the purpose of his visit?
(a) Odysseus is not worth anyone's tears.
(b) Telemachus looks nothing like his father.
(c) He would have given Odysseus a city upon his return from Troy.
(d) Odysseus' problems are his own.
5. What is happening in Lacedaemon when Telemachus arrives?
(a) Menelaus is celebrating a double marriage.
(b) Menelaus is holding a funeral rite for his brother.
(c) Menelaus is celebrating the marriage of his daughter.
(d) Menelaus and his household are holding a feast in honor of the gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which suitor has a "bad feeling" after Odysseus the beggar tries to warn him of impending danger in Book 18?
2. In whose grove of poplar trees is Odysseus told to wait before approaching the palace in Book 6?
3. By what type of people did the Phaecians once live?
4. Who interprets the sign of the eagle and the goose as Telemachus and Peisistratus are leaving Lacedaemon?
5. According to Nestor, who wanted the Achaeans to suffer on the way home from Troy?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)