|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Odysseus tells Eumaeus his story in Book 14, how does he say he earns a living and makes a name for himself?
(a) As a pirate.
(b) As a soldier.
(c) As a priest.
(d) As a scholar.
2. When captured by Menelaus, who had been stuck for 20 days, what did this being reveal to him to get his freedom?
(a) Menelaus is told how to get vengeance for his brother.
(b) Menelaus is told how to get home, as well as the fate of three of his friends.
(c) Menelaus is told how to get home and acquire more treasure.
(d) Menelaus is told how to get Helen back.
3. Penelope learns about the suitors' plan for Telemachus from a page, but what does she learn from her sister's phantom?
(a) Telemachus is wise beyond his years.
(b) Telemachus isn't coming back.
(c) Telemachus is bringing an army.
(d) Telemachus is guided by Athene.
4. Why doesn't Eumaeus want the old man to tell him tales of his master?
(a) It doesn't look like he has the means to travel.
(b) He's been told not to speak Odysseus' name.
(c) Many travelers will tell tales for food and clothing.
(d) He's convinced Odysseus is dead.
5. In Chapter 12, with his ship destroyed, Odysseus drifts until he reaches _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Odysseus receive from the thirteen kings of Phaecia?
2. Who speaks up in Book 7 to ask that Odysseus be given a seat in the court of Alcinous since he has come as a supplicant?
3. Why is Telemachus skeptical that he and Odysseus can handle the suitors without help?
4. Why does Athena speak to Nausicaa in her dreams?
5. How does the shepherd from the mainland treat Odysseus the beggar when he first meets him at the palace courtyard?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)