|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what state do the Nausicaa's women, who are playing a game while waiting for the clothes to dry, find the sheltering Odysseus?
(a) He is completely naked.
(b) He is covered in the sail from his raft.
(c) He is wearing Ino's veil.
(d) He is wearing the clothes that Calypso gave him, but they're a little ragged.
2. According to Penelope, when did Odysseus say it was acceptable for her to remarry?
(a) When Laertes dies.
(b) When 21 years have passed.
(c) After Telemachus gets married.
(d) When Telemachus is a bearded man.
3. According to Nausicaa, to whom should Odysseus first appeal when he gets to the court in Book 6?
(a) Nausicaa's mother.
(b) Nausicaa's oldest brother.
(c) One of the servants.
(d) Nausicaa's father.
4. Why, despite taking an oath, does Odysseus' crew slay some cattle of the Sun?
(a) They've run out of food.
(b) They're bored.
(c) They don't care about the warning Odysseus issued.
(d) Eurylochus says that Odysseus is keeping the cattle for himself.
5. What makes Irus nervous about his fight with Odysseus the beggar?
(a) The old man has muscular thighs.
(b) Irus sees his muscular chest.
(c) Athene sends a cold wind to give him a chill.
(d) The suitors have threatened to drag him out by his feet if he loses.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the suitors view the fight between the two beggars in Book 18?
2. By what type of people did the Phaecians once live?
3. In Chapter 12, with his ship destroyed, Odysseus drifts until he reaches _____________.
4. In whose grove of poplar trees is Odysseus told to wait before approaching the palace in Book 6?
5. What advice does Circe give Odysseus regarding Scylla and Charybdis?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)