|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
2. What are there more of in Harlem than any other ghetto in the city?
3. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
4. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
5. What impeded the Progressive Party's progression in Harlem during the 1940s?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Baldwin receive word about the journey to Atlanta?
2. Why does Baldwin use the theme of racial prejudice to set the topic and tone for Notes of a Native Son?
3. Describe how Baldwin's Harlem compares to his parent's Harlem.
4. What is Henry Wallace's role in the Progressive Party?
5. Describe Baldwin's relationship with his father.
6. Why has Baldwin written extensively about the Negro press?
7. What allows those former soldiers studying in Paris to remain abroad?
8. What did the Melodeers do to displease Mrs. Price?
9. What roles does religion play in the life of the Negro?
10. Why did ex-GIs question their identity while studying in Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the essay entitled Many Thousands Gone, Baldwin refers to the story of the Negro in America as the story of America. How is the story of the Negro in America the story of America? What about the Negroes' story makes it representative of America and American society? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Escaping is a major theme throughout many of the essays in Baldwin's book. For instance Baldwin escapes to Switzerland to write his book and African American soldiers escape to Paris for education and French culture. How do you think writing this book served as an escape for Baldwin? Did he write to escape the perils of life or racial prejudice? Did he write to help other understand the escape of African Americans from America and American culture? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In the essay Journey to Atlanta, Baldwin retells the story of the Melodeers' trip to Atlanta. What types of style and tone techniques does Baldwin use in this essay and for what purpose does he use these forms? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)