|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Melodeers room while in Atlanta?
2. What are there more of in Harlem than any other ghetto in the city?
3. What did the parents of the Melodeers oppose prior to their departure for Atlanta?
4. What was the name of the establishment where the Melodeers ate their meals while in Atlanta?
5. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Baldwin escape to Switzerland?
2. According to Baldwin, why is it not the fault of the Negro press that the letters-to-the-editor section is the only section where the truth about the life of the Negro can be seen in print?
3. Describe Baldwin's first experience with real-world hatred.
4. What are some of the limitations that make it hard for Baldwin to tolerate the French prison system?
5. Describe Baldwin's relationship with his father.
6. Why does Baldwin address the phenomenon of Americans choosing to remain in Paris after World War II?
7. Describe Baldwin's relationship with his new friend that he meets in Paris in the essay Equal in Paris.
8. Describe the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones.
9. According to Baldwin, why are the mannerisms of the character Carmen Jones based on rampant sexuality?
10. How does Baldwin describe the social climate that existed when Richard Wright was writing Native Son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Equal in Paris, Baldwin chooses to live in Paris, a place where he is considered a stranger. How does Baldwin's experience as a stranger in Paris differ from his experience as a stranger in his own country, the United States? Likewise, what similarities exist between Baldwin's experience as a stranger in Paris and the United States? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In the essay entitled Many Thousands Gone, Baldwin refers to the story of the Negro in America as the story of America. How is the story of the Negro in America the story of America? What about the Negroes' story makes it representative of America and American society? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In the essay Journey to Atlanta, Baldwin retells the story of the Melodeers' trip to Atlanta. What types of style and tone techniques does Baldwin use in this essay and for what purpose does he use these forms? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)