|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What negative stereotype does the character Carmen Jones perpetuate?
2. What biblical story does Baldwin say allows the Blacks to identify with Jews?
3. What does Baldwin say is the hatred symbol of Georgia?
4. How is the Negro in America referred to in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
5. What did the parents of the Melodeers oppose prior to their departure for Atlanta?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Henry Wallace's role in the Progressive Party?
2. How does Baldwin use Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel Uncle Tom's Cabin?
3. Why does Baldwin conclude that the religion of the villagers is Catholicism?
4. What is the significance of having the evil and immoral characters played by very dark complected Negroes in the film Carmen Jones?
5. What did the Melodeers do to displease Mrs. Price?
6. What roles does religion play in the life of the Negro?
7. What is the significance of having both the lead characters in the film Carmen Jones cast by light-complected Negroes?
8. What is the purpose of the book Notes of a Native Son?
9. Why is Baldwin living a bleak life in Paris before he befriends a man from New York?
10. Describe Baldwin's relationship with his father.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the essay Journey to Atlanta, Baldwin recounts the Melodeers' experience with prejudice in Atlanta. Why do you think it was significant for Baldwin to point out the prejudice that occurred on both sides of the Mason-Dixon Line? What does the Mason-Dixon Line represent? What is the significance of the Mason-Dixon Line and the Melodeers' trip down south? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Based on Baldwin's essays Carmen Jones: The Dark is Light Enough and The Harlem Ghetto, what role did media (i.e. newspapers, magazines, and film) have on the life of the Negro in the 1940s and 1950s? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Baldwin wrote each of the essays in the book Notes of a Native Son between 1940 and 1959 and he published each in various publications during that time. Why do you think Baldwin selected these particular essays for inclusion in the book? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)