|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the oppressed and oppressor described in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
2. Where can the true raison d'être of the Negro press be found?
3. What Hollywood studio produced the film Carmen Jones?
4. According to Baldwin, both the Negro and the Jew are characterized as:
5. Where is Harlem located?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe the social climate that existed when Richard Wright was writing Native Son?
2. How does Baldwin describe the Richard Wright's book, Native Son?
3. Describe the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones.
4. According to Baldwin, why are the mannerisms of the character Carmen Jones based on rampant sexuality?
5. Why does Baldwin criticize Richard Wright's book, Native Son?
6. How are Ebony and Our World Magazines different?
7. According to Baldwin, what is the legend of Paris? What is the legend's connection to reality?
8. What did Baldwin determine is the main similarity that the American Negro and the French Negro share?
9. Why has Baldwin written extensively about the Negro press?
10. Describe the Swiss village that Baldwin visits in the essay Stranger in the Village.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1In the chapter Many Thousands Gone, Baldwin describes what it means to be a "Native Son" for black men. In a later essay, Notes of a Native Son, Baldwin describes his life as a "Native Son." How does Baldwin's description compare to his personal account? In what ways are they similar? In what ways are they different? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2Based on Baldwin's essays Carmen Jones: The Dark is Light Enough and The Harlem Ghetto, what role did media (i.e. newspapers, magazines, and film) have on the life of the Negro in the 1940s and 1950s? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3In the essay Journey to Atlanta, Baldwin retells the story of the Melodeers' trip to Atlanta. What types of style and tone techniques does Baldwin use in this essay and for what purpose does he use these forms? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)