|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did the quartet's trip to Atlanta last?
2. How does Baldwin describe a "new society" in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
3. What was the name of the establishment where the Melodeers ate their meals while in Atlanta?
4. In what era did James Baldwin write Notes of a Native Son?
5. Who is the author of Native Son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Baldwin's relationship with his father.
2. Why don't the individuals in the Swiss village identify black people as negative?
3. Why do you think Baldwin decided to reveal his own personal reflections in the chapter entitled Notes of a Native Son?
4. Why has Baldwin written extensively about the Negro press?
5. Why is Baldwin living a bleak life in Paris before he befriends a man from New York?
6. Who was Clarence Warde and what role did he play in the Journey to Atlanta?
7. Why doesn't Baldwin get upset when the children in the Swiss Village call him Neger on the streets?
8. Why do you think Baldwin distrusts his father's warnings about the weight of white people in the world?
9. Why does the American Negro escape to Paris?
10. What are some of the limitations that make it hard for Baldwin to tolerate the French prison system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Escaping is a major theme throughout many of the essays in Baldwin's book. For instance Baldwin escapes to Switzerland to write his book and African American soldiers escape to Paris for education and French culture. How do you think writing this book served as an escape for Baldwin? Did he write to escape the perils of life or racial prejudice? Did he write to help other understand the escape of African Americans from America and American culture? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Baldwin describes his relationship with his father in Notes of a Native Son. After his father's death, Baldwin feels a sense of melancholy that he never had a chance to bond with his father. Why do you think Baldwin feels this way? What regrets, if any, do you think Baldwin had at the end of his father's life? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Baldwin writes about the struggle for African Americans to find their own identity in the United States. Based on Baldwin's essays, do you think African Americans will be able to find their identity as American citizens or will they always have to "escape" in order to try to find their identity? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)