|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Harlem located?
2. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
3. In what year was the all-Black production of Carmen Jones released?
4. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
5. Who was the representative of the Progressive Party in Atlanta?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe the Richard Wright's book, Native Son?
2. What is the main difference between the American Negro and the French Negro?
3. Describe the appearance and the role of Mrs. Branson Price.
4. According to Baldwin, why is it not the fault of the Negro press that the letters-to-the-editor section is the only section where the truth about the life of the Negro can be seen in print?
5. In the essay entitled Everybody's Protest Novel, why does Baldwin use the first person narrative perspective?
6. What is Henry Wallace's role in the Progressive Party?
7. Describe Baldwin's Fresnes experience.
8. What roles does religion play in the life of the Negro?
9. Why is it important to examine the myths about African Americans in order to discover what it means to be a "Negro in America"?
10. According to Baldwin, what stereotypical qualities do Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom share?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The purpose of Baldwin's essays is to analyze, understand and deal with racial prejudice. Choose one or two of Baldwin's essays and discuss how the essay incorporates this purpose of analysis, understanding, and dealing with racial prejudice. Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In the essay entitled Many Thousands Gone, Baldwin refers to the story of the Negro in America as the story of America. How is the story of the Negro in America the story of America? What about the Negroes' story makes it representative of America and American society? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In the essay entitled, A Question of Identity, Baldwin finds it ironic that many Americans opted to remain in Europe after the war to experience the cultural freedoms available there, but later returned to the Unites States hungry for the rules and society in which they were raised. Do you find this ironic? Why do you think African American men returned to the United States after spending time in Europe? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)