Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of Baldwin's brothers were in the quartet?
2. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
3. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
4. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
5. How was the 1955 production of Carmen Jones different than previous productions?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Baldwin, how do the Europeans react to the American Negro's presence in Paris?
2. Why do you think Baldwin experiences a sense of melancholy after his father's death?
3. Why does the American Negro escape to Paris?
4. How does Baldwin describe the social climate that existed when Richard Wright was writing Native Son?
5. What is the main difference between the American Negro and the French Negro?
6. Why is the American Negro envious of the French African?
7. Why did many of the Americans that chose to study in Paris after the war, return to the United States?
8. Describe the Amsterdam Star-News.
9. What is the purpose of the book Notes of a Native Son?
10. Why don't the individuals in the Swiss village identify black people as negative?
Based on Baldwin's essays Carmen Jones: The Dark is Light Enough and The Harlem Ghetto, what role did media (i.e. newspapers, magazines, and film) have on the life of the Negro in the 1940s and 1950s? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
In Notes of a Native Son, Baldwin makes reference to stereotypical and unrealistic black characters such as Aunt Jemima, Uncle Tom, and Carmen Jones. In your opinion, do these stereotypical figures represent the story of America? If so, how do these images represent the story of America? How do these images represent the lives of African Americans? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Baldwin wrote each of the essays in the book Notes of a Native Son between 1940 and 1959 and he published each in various publications during that time. Why do you think Baldwin selected these particular essays for inclusion in the book? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)