|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stereotypical trait is shared by the female and male leads in the film Carmen Jones?
2. Who played the lead male role in the film Carmen Jones?
3. Where did the Melodeers ultimately end up rehearsing for their performances in Atlanta?
4. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Blacks?
5. What genre of film is the movie Carmen Jones?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of having both the lead characters in the film Carmen Jones cast by light-complected Negroes?
2. Why is the American Negro envious of the French African?
3. Why don't the individuals in the Swiss village identify black people as negative?
4. Why did seeing the hotel monogram on the sheets mean nothing to Baldwin?
5. What is the purpose of the book Notes of a Native Son?
6. Describe the appearance and the role of Mrs. Branson Price.
7. Who was Clarence Warde and what role did he play in the Journey to Atlanta?
8. According to Baldwin, how do white Americans react to the American Negro's presence in Paris?
9. How did Baldwin receive word about the journey to Atlanta?
10. Describe Baldwin's relationship with his father.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on Baldwin's essays Carmen Jones: The Dark is Light Enough and The Harlem Ghetto, what role did media (i.e. newspapers, magazines, and film) have on the life of the Negro in the 1940s and 1950s? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Isolation is a major theme throughout Baldwin's book Notes of a Native Son. What reasons do you think African Americans abroad had for choosing to isolate themselves from other African Americans abroad? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Baldwin writes the essays in the book Notes of a Native Son using more of a conventional style rather than an academic style. Analyze Baldwin's conventional approach to writing. How does Baldwin's conventional approach to writing enhance the book Notes of a Native Son? Please use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)