|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what discovery brings an end to the alienation of the American student in Paris?
(a) Discovering America from the vantage point of the French African.
(b) Discovering American culture.
(c) Discovering America from the vantage point of Europe.
(d) Discovering European culture.
2. What did Baldwin's first jail cell resemble?
(a) An American prison.
(b) A prison cell.
(c) A bird's nest.
(d) A chicken coop.
3. According to Baldwin, what does not exist among American students in Paris in the 1950s?
(a) An educational experience.
(b) A worthwhile experience.
(c) A common experience.
(d) A different experience.
4. What gift did Baldwin's attorney friend bring him in prison?
(a) Lucky Strike Cigarettes.
(b) A bottle of French wine.
(d) Clean bed sheets .
5. What action performed by the prison guards did Baldwin think demoralized him as a human being?
(a) Deliberately not feeding the inmates.
(b) Removal of one's shoelace and belts.
(c) Branding each prisoner with their inmate number.
(d) Restriction of one's religious beliefs.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Baldwin's father born?
2. Where was Baldwin's father born?
3. What reason does Baldwin give for not believing that ex-GIs traveled to Paris to study?
4. What difference does Baldwin suggest exists between soldiers that studied in Paris and those that did not?
5. What tool(s) does Baldwin take with him to the Swiss village?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)