|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the chapter, A Question of Identity, how does Baldwin learn about his struggle for identity in the world?
(a) By speaking with Parisians.
(b) By studying at a Parisian University.
(c) By observing the lifestyle of the French African.
(d) By observing others and examining his own growth.
2. According to Baldwin, what has the African not yet endured that the American Negro has endured?
(a) Alienation from his people and his past.
(b) Transcontinential travel.
3. According to Baldwin, what does not exist among American students in Paris in the 1950s?
(a) A worthwhile experience.
(b) An educational experience.
(c) A different experience.
(d) A common experience.
4. According to Baldwin, which one of the following performers had the ability to be a successful performer in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
(a) Duke Ellington.
(b) Jospehine Baker.
(c) Harry Belafonte.
(d) Dorothy Dandridge.
5. Approximately how many American Negroes were living in Paris during the 1950s?
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurred a few hours after the funeral of Baldwin's father?
2. What phenomenon does Baldwin address in the essay entitled, A Question of Identity?
3. How does Baldwin describe the entertainment industry in Paris for American performers in the 1940s and 50s?
4. What is the name of the first church that Baldwin can remember attending with his family as a child?
5. How does Baldwin describe the lives of the nonperforming Negroes in Paris as compared to the lives of Negro entertainers in the 1940s and 50s?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)