|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What phenomenon does Baldwin address in the essay entitled, A Question of Identity?
(a) Americans who fought in the war.
(b) Americans who chose to remain in America after the war.
(c) African Americans who leave America to write about race in America.
(d) Americans who chose to remain in Paris after the war.
2. Who is the owner of the night club in the Latin Quarter that specializes in fried chicken and jazz?
(a) Otto Preminger.
(b) Chester Bomar Himes.
(c) Inez Cavanaugh.
(d) Harry Belafonte.
3. According to Baldwin, who were the only people able to maintain a useful and unquestioned friendship with Negroes during the 1940s and 50s in Paris?
(a) Negro soliders.
(b) The French.
(c) Negro entertainers.
(d) White Americans.
4. According to Baldwin, how did an American Negro view another American Negro in Paris during the 1940s and 50s?
(a) A source of joy.
(b) A source of rage.
(c) A source of sadness.
(d) A source of knowledge.
5. Where did Baldwin go after his father's funeral to celebrate his birthday?
(d) Atlantic City.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe the housing of all students living in the Latin Quarter?
2. According to Baldwin, what does the black man in American struggle to find?
3. According to Baldwin, where does the family lineage of any black man in America stop?
4. Where does Baldwin think the older brothers and sisters in the Swiss village go to school?
5. What reason does Baldwin give for not believing that ex-GIs traveled to Paris to study?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)