|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the children call Baldwin when he first arrives in the Swiss village?
(a) Black man.
(c) Poor man.
2. In the essay Equal in Paris, what are we told lead police to know that one of the Parisian hotels had their property stolen?
(a) Baldwin's friend told the police they were stolen.
(b) A witness called the police.
(c) The hotel monogram on the sheets.
(d) The color of the sheets.
3. In the chapter entitled A Question of Identity, what does Baldwin describe as a flimsy structure, beneath contempt, designed by and for all the other people?
4. According to Baldwin, who were the only people able to maintain a useful and unquestioned friendship with Negroes during the 1940s and 50s in Paris?
(a) Negro soliders.
(b) The French.
(c) Negro entertainers.
(d) White Americans.
5. What phenomenon does Baldwin address in the essay entitled, A Question of Identity?
(a) Americans who chose to remain in America after the war.
(b) Americans who fought in the war.
(c) Americans who chose to remain in Paris after the war.
(d) African Americans who leave America to write about race in America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the night club in the Latin Quarter that specializes in fried chicken and jazz?
2. What issue is the American constantly confronted with in Paris?
3. How long had Baldwin been gone from home when his father passed away?
4. What does Baldwin say must sustain the American Negro in the present?
5. What prison was Baldwin's friend sent to that he was forbidden to enter?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)