|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the children call Baldwin when he first arrives in the Swiss village?
(b) Poor man.
(d) Black man.
2. According to Baldwin, what discovery brings an end to the alienation of the American student in Paris?
(a) Discovering European culture.
(b) Discovering America from the vantage point of Europe.
(c) Discovering America from the vantage point of the French African.
(d) Discovering American culture.
3. What does Baldwin say must sustain the American Negro in the present?
(a) The European present.
(b) The American past that is disregarded in Europe.
(c) The African past that is disregarded in Europe.
(d) The European future.
4. According to Baldwin, which students are successfully entrenched in Parisian lifestyle?
(a) Those that use their GI funding to study at Parisian university.
(b) Those that take time to study the culture and People of Paris.
(c) Those that marry French women.
(d) Those that know American history.
5. What other event shared the same date as the funeral of Baldwin's father?
(a) Baldwin's 19th birthday.
(b) Baldwin's 17th birthday.
(c) Baldwin's 20th birthday.
(d) Baldwin's 18th birthday.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Baldwin think the older brothers and sisters in the Swiss village go to school?
2. What is the name of the first church that Baldwin can remember attending with his family as a child?
3. What difference does Baldwin suggest exists between soldiers that studied in Paris and those that did not?
4. What action performed by the prison guards did Baldwin think demoralized him as a human being?
5. According to Baldwin, who were the only people able to maintain a useful and unquestioned friendship with Negroes during the 1940s and 50s in Paris?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)