|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What phenomenon does Baldwin address in the essay entitled, A Question of Identity?
(a) Americans who fought in the war.
(b) Americans who chose to remain in Paris after the war.
(c) Americans who chose to remain in America after the war.
(d) African Americans who leave America to write about race in America.
2. What reason does Baldwin give for Blacks living in Paris?
(a) They fell in love with the language and cultural of Paris.
(b) They wanted to learn more about France.
(c) They wanted to marry French women.
(d) They wanted to escape from American society.
3. Who visits Baldwin while he is in prison with the promise of sending someone to represent him at his trial?
(a) A friend from New York City.
(b) A prison guard.
(c) An American patent attorney.
(d) A released prisoner.
4. According to Baldwin, which of the following can the black man call home?
5. In the chapter entitled A Question of Identity, what does Baldwin describe as a flimsy structure, beneath contempt, designed by and for all the other people?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Baldwin's first jail cell resemble?
2. What did Baldwin claim that the soldiers who studied in Paris had in common with the rest of the soliders that fought in the war?
3. Why does Baldwin escape to Paris?
4. In the essay Equal in Paris, what city was Baldwin's new "friend" from?
5. What difference does Baldwin suggest exists between soldiers that studied in Paris and those that did not?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)