|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the essay Equal in Paris, what city was Baldwin's new "friend" from?
(a) New Jersey.
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) Atlantic City.
(d) New York City.
2. What term does Baldwin use to describe the lives of American student in Paris in the 1950s?
(a) Social Butterflies.
(b) Social Stability.
(c) Social Limbo.
(d) Social Congruence.
3. Who visits Baldwin while he is in prison with the promise of sending someone to represent him at his trial?
(a) A friend from New York City.
(b) A released prisoner.
(c) An American patent attorney.
(d) A prison guard.
4. According to Baldwin, which one of the following performers had the ability to be a successful performer in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
(a) Duke Ellington.
(b) Dorothy Dandridge.
(c) Jospehine Baker.
(d) Harry Belafonte.
5. What legislation made it possible for American soldiers to pay for their education in Paris after the war?
(a) The Soldier's Education Act.
(b) The Veterans Educational Achievement Act.
(c) The Foreign Education Bill.
(d) G.I. Bill.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, who were the only people able to maintain a useful and unquestioned friendship with Negroes during the 1940s and 50s in Paris?
2. What did Baldwin claim that the soldiers who studied in Paris had in common with the rest of the soliders that fought in the war?
3. Why does Baldwin go to the Swiss village?
4. How did the French see Baldwin in the commissariat?
5. What food was always in the reoccurring nightmares that Baldwin had while in Fresnes?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)