|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what feeling did the American Negro and the French Negro share?
(a) A sense of displacement.
(b) A sense of overwhelming understanding.
(c) A sense of sadness.
(d) A sense of change.
2. What legislation made it possible for American soldiers to pay for their education in Paris after the war?
(a) The Veterans Educational Achievement Act.
(b) The Foreign Education Bill.
(c) G.I. Bill.
(d) The Soldier's Education Act.
3. How did the French see Baldwin in the commissariat?
(a) As an American.
(b) As a French man.
(c) As an American Negro.
(d) As a French Negro.
4. Why does Baldwin assume that the Swiss village is not Protestant?
(a) The synagogue are open more often.
(b) The Catholic churches are open more often.
(c) The Swiss villagers have Buddhist temples in their homes.
(d) There are no Protestant churches.
5. How many hours does it take to get from Milan to the Swiss Village?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, who were the only people able to maintain a useful and unquestioned friendship with Negroes during the 1940s and 50s in Paris?
2. Where did Baldwin live while in Paris?
3. What prison was Baldwin sent to because of his last name?
4. What does Baldwin assume is the main religion of the Swiss village?
5. Who traveled with Baldwin to visit his dying father on Long Island?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)