|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What issue is the American constantly confronted with in Paris?
2. What reason does Baldwin give for Blacks living in Paris?
(a) They wanted to escape from American society.
(b) They wanted to learn more about France.
(c) They wanted to marry French women.
(d) They fell in love with the language and cultural of Paris.
3. What phenomenon does Baldwin address in the essay entitled, A Question of Identity?
(a) African Americans who leave America to write about race in America.
(b) Americans who chose to remain in America after the war.
(c) Americans who fought in the war.
(d) Americans who chose to remain in Paris after the war.
4. What did Baldwin consume a lot of while writing?
(a) Coffee and Wine.
(b) Croissants and Wine.
(c) Coffee and Croissants.
(d) Coffee and Tea.
5. How long had Baldwin been gone from home when his father passed away?
(a) One year.
(b) Less than a year.
(c) More than 2 years.
(d) A little over a year.
6. Where does Baldwin think the older brothers and sisters in the Swiss village go to school?
(a) The town at the bottom of the mountain.
(b) The synagogue.
7. What university were American soldiers attending in Paris?
(a) University of London.
(c) Sorbonne University.
(d) University of Paris.
8. In total, how many days did Baldwin spend in the French prison system?
9. Approximately how many people live in the Swiss village that Baldwin visits?
10. According to Baldwin, what was the legend of Paris?
(a) One of freedom.
(b) One of equality.
(c) One of bureaucracy.
(d) One of democracy.
11. What war is discussed in the chapter entitled A Question of Identity?
(a) World War II.
(b) World War I.
(c) Civil War.
(d) Vietnam War.
12. Where did Baldwin and his white friend from New York go on Baldwin's last night in New Jersey?
(a) To the casino.
(b) To the movies and to have drinks.
(c) Atlantic City, NJ.
(d) To downtown New York City.
13. What tool(s) does Baldwin take with him to the Swiss village?
(a) Pens and Pencils.
(d) Printing Press.
14. What other event shared the same date as the funeral of Baldwin's father?
(a) Baldwin's 20th birthday.
(b) Baldwin's 18th birthday.
(c) Baldwin's 17th birthday.
(d) Baldwin's 19th birthday.
15. Which group of Swiss villagers sometimes extend grave overtures of friendship to Baldwin?
(b) Senior Citizens.
(c) Teenage Girls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action performed by the prison guards did Baldwin think demoralized him as a human being?
2. Who visits Baldwin while he is in prison with the promise of sending someone to represent him at his trial?
3. What is the name of the night club in the Latin Quarter that specializes in fried chicken and jazz?
4. What difference does Baldwin suggest exists between soldiers that studied in Paris and those that did not?
5. Which group did Baldwin mention as living together in groups - in the same neighborhoods and student hotels - while in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)