|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Baldwin consume a lot of while writing?
(a) Coffee and Croissants.
(b) Croissants and Wine.
(c) Coffee and Wine.
(d) Coffee and Tea.
2. What food was always in the reoccurring nightmares that Baldwin had while in Fresnes?
(a) His mother's macaroni and cheese.
(b) Collard greens.
(c) His mother's fried chicken.
(d) Sweet potato pie.
3. What technique did Baldwin say he used in arguments with his father?
(a) Combative behavior.
(c) Name calling.
4. Why does Baldwin escape to Paris?
(a) To escape the racial prejudice of America.
(b) To live with a French family.
(c) To escape the racial prejudice of Africa.
(d) To study French culture.
5. What do the Swiss Villagers occasionally do on Sundays?
(a) Cook dinner.
(b) Go to the movies.
(d) Wash dirty laundry.
6. What action performed by the prison guards did Baldwin think demoralized him as a human being?
(a) Removal of one's shoelace and belts.
(b) Restriction of one's religious beliefs.
(c) Branding each prisoner with their inmate number.
(d) Deliberately not feeding the inmates.
7. In the chapter entitled A Question of Identity, what does Baldwin describe as a flimsy structure, beneath contempt, designed by and for all the other people?
8. What difference does Baldwin suggest exists between soldiers that studied in Paris and those that did not?
(a) Many that did not study in Paris died in battle.
(b) Many that studied there did not see active duty.
(c) Many that studied there saw active duty
(d) Many that studied there return to America.
9. What gift did Baldwin's attorney friend bring him in prison?
(a) A bottle of French wine.
(c) Clean bed sheets .
(d) Lucky Strike Cigarettes.
10. What emotion of Baldwin's father does he describe as "never to be trusted"?
(a) His father's temper.
(b) His father's sadness.
(c) His father's kindness.
(d) His father's love.
11. According to Baldwin, how did an American Negro view another American Negro in Paris during the 1940s and 50s?
(a) A source of sadness.
(b) A source of knowledge.
(c) A source of rage.
(d) A source of joy.
12. In what year was Baldwin arrested in Paris?
13. Who were the only white people that visited Baldwin's childhood home?
(a) Bill Collectors and police officers.
(b) Welfare workers and police officers.
(c) Welfare workers and bill collectors.
(d) Welfare workers and teachers.
14. What other event shared the same date as the funeral of Baldwin's father?
(a) Baldwin's 18th birthday.
(b) Baldwin's 17th birthday.
(c) Baldwin's 19th birthday.
(d) Baldwin's 20th birthday.
15. What does Baldwin say must sustain the American Negro in the present?
(a) The European future.
(b) The African past that is disregarded in Europe.
(c) The European present.
(d) The American past that is disregarded in Europe.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, which one of the following performers had the ability to be a successful performer in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
2. According to Baldwin, what was the legend of Paris?
3. What have some of the men in the Swiss village accused Baldwin of doing?
4. Whose records did Baldwin's father forbid his children to play?
5. When was Baldwin's father born?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)