|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what was the legend of Paris?
(a) One of freedom.
(b) One of equality.
(c) One of bureaucracy.
(d) One of democracy.
2. What prison was Baldwin sent to because of his last name?
(b) La Santé.
(d) La Mese.
3. Instead of discussing the past, what does Baldwin suggest the American Negro and Whites discuss while in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
(a) American politics.
(b) French politics.
(d) The Eiffel Tower.
4. What is one way that Baldwin claims a person can become entrenched in the Parisian lifestyle?
(a) Marrying a French citizen.
(b) Visiting the American embassy in France.
(c) Eating a French cafes.
(d) Living with a French Family.
5. What was the profession of Baldwin's father?
(d) Hotel Attendant.
6. How many hours does it take to get from Milan to the Swiss Village?
7. Where does Baldwin stay while in Switzerland?
(a) A room in a church.
(b) A hotel.
(c) A tent.
(d) A chalet.
8. Approximately how many American Negroes were living in Paris during the 1950s?
9. Where was Baldwin's father born?
(c) St. Louis.
(d) New Orleans.
10. According to Baldwin, what has the African not yet endured that the American Negro has endured?
(b) Transcontinential travel.
(d) Alienation from his people and his past.
11. Who traveled with Baldwin to visit his dying father on Long Island?
(a) Baldwin's friend.
(b) Baldwin's mother.
(c) Baldwin's aunt.
(d) Baldwin's brother.
12. How does Baldwin describe the housing of all students living in the Latin Quarter?
(a) Medival-looking hotels.
(b) Ageless, sinister-looking hotels.
(c) Hotels with classic architecture.
(d) Dingy hotels.
13. What occurred a few hours after the funeral of Baldwin's father?
(a) A Progressive Party rally.
(b) A black man was beat up by the police.
(c) A race riot.
(d) Baldwin's brother passed away.
14. How far was the Fresnes prison from Paris?
(a) Fourteen Kilometers.
(b) Twelve Kilometers.
(c) Ten Kilometers.
(d) Sixteen Kilometers.
15. What did Baldwin consume a lot of while writing?
(a) Croissants and Wine.
(b) Coffee and Croissants.
(c) Coffee and Wine.
(d) Coffee and Tea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Baldwin while he is in prison with the promise of sending someone to represent him at his trial?
2. According to Baldwin, which students are successfully entrenched in Parisian lifestyle?
3. What have some of the men in the Swiss village accused Baldwin of doing?
4. Why does Baldwin assume that the Swiss village is not Protestant?
5. Who is the owner of the night club in the Latin Quarter that specializes in fried chicken and jazz?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)