|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Baldwin go after his father's funeral to celebrate his birthday?
(a) Atlantic City.
2. Instead of discussing the past, what does Baldwin suggest the American Negro and Whites discuss while in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
(b) French politics.
(c) The Eiffel Tower.
(d) American politics.
3. According to Baldwin, which one of the following performers had the ability to be a successful performer in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
(a) Dorothy Dandridge.
(b) Harry Belafonte.
(c) Jospehine Baker.
(d) Duke Ellington.
4. Which group of Swiss villagers sometimes extend grave overtures of friendship to Baldwin?
(a) Senior Citizens.
(c) Teenage Girls.
5. How did the French see Baldwin in the commissariat?
(a) As a French man.
(b) As an American Negro.
(c) As an American.
(d) As a French Negro.
6. In total, how many days did Baldwin spend in the French prison system?
7. Where did Baldwin and his white friend from New York go on Baldwin's last night in New Jersey?
(a) To downtown New York City.
(b) To the movies and to have drinks.
(c) To the casino.
(d) Atlantic City, NJ.
8. According to Baldwin, which of the following can the black man call home?
9. According to Baldwin, how did an American Negro view another American Negro in Paris during the 1940s and 50s?
(a) A source of joy.
(b) A source of sadness.
(c) A source of rage.
(d) A source of knowledge.
10. What reason does Baldwin give for Blacks living in Paris?
(a) They wanted to learn more about France.
(b) They wanted to escape from American society.
(c) They fell in love with the language and cultural of Paris.
(d) They wanted to marry French women.
11. How many schoolhouses are located in the Swiss village?
12. What difference does Baldwin suggest exists between soldiers that studied in Paris and those that did not?
(a) Many that studied there did not see active duty.
(b) Many that did not study in Paris died in battle.
(c) Many that studied there saw active duty
(d) Many that studied there return to America.
13. What did Baldwin consume a lot of while writing?
(a) Coffee and Tea.
(b) Croissants and Wine.
(c) Coffee and Wine.
(d) Coffee and Croissants.
14. What occurred a few hours after the funeral of Baldwin's father?
(a) A black man was beat up by the police.
(b) A race riot.
(c) Baldwin's brother passed away.
(d) A Progressive Party rally.
15. What happened on the same day that Baldwin's father died?
(a) The ninth child was born.
(b) The seventh child was born.
(c) The eighth child was born.
(d) The tenth child was born.
Short Answer Questions
1. What technique did Baldwin say he used in arguments with his father?
2. Who were the only white people that visited Baldwin's childhood home?
3. Why does Baldwin escape to Paris?
4. When was Baldwin's father born?
5. How long had Baldwin been gone from home when his father passed away?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)