|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the population of the town at the foot of the mountain, where many of the Swiss villagers shop and go to the movies?
2. What did Baldwin consume a lot of while writing?
(a) Coffee and Tea.
(b) Coffee and Croissants.
(c) Coffee and Wine.
(d) Croissants and Wine.
3. In total, how many days did Baldwin spend in the French prison system?
4. What phenomenon does Baldwin address in the essay entitled, A Question of Identity?
(a) Americans who chose to remain in Paris after the war.
(b) Americans who chose to remain in America after the war.
(c) Americans who fought in the war.
(d) African Americans who leave America to write about race in America.
5. What was the profession of Baldwin's father?
(b) Hotel Attendant.
6. How long had Baldwin been gone from home when his father passed away?
(a) Less than a year.
(b) One year.
(c) A little over a year.
(d) More than 2 years.
7. In what year was Baldwin arrested in Paris?
8. Where did Baldwin and his white friend from New York go on Baldwin's last night in New Jersey?
(a) Atlantic City, NJ.
(b) To downtown New York City.
(c) To the casino.
(d) To the movies and to have drinks.
9. Who were the only white people that visited Baldwin's childhood home?
(a) Welfare workers and bill collectors.
(b) Bill Collectors and police officers.
(c) Welfare workers and police officers.
(d) Welfare workers and teachers.
10. According to Baldwin, what is afforded to American students in Paris?
11. What difference does Baldwin suggest exists between soldiers that studied in Paris and those that did not?
(a) Many that studied there saw active duty
(b) Many that studied there return to America.
(c) Many that did not study in Paris died in battle.
(d) Many that studied there did not see active duty.
12. What did Baldwin claim that the soldiers who studied in Paris had in common with the rest of the soliders that fought in the war?
(a) They both were Black.
(b) They both studied French culture.
(c) They both spoke French.
(d) They both wore uniforms.
13. How does Baldwin describe the lives of the nonperforming Negroes in Paris as compared to the lives of Negro entertainers in the 1940s and 50s?
14. What other event shared the same date as the funeral of Baldwin's father?
(a) Baldwin's 18th birthday.
(b) Baldwin's 19th birthday.
(c) Baldwin's 17th birthday.
(d) Baldwin's 20th birthday.
15. How does Baldwin describe the entertainment industry in Paris for American performers in the 1940s and 50s?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, which students are successfully entrenched in Parisian lifestyle?
2. Where does Baldwin stay while in Switzerland?
3. According to Baldwin, what feeling did the American Negro and the French Negro share?
4. What technique did Baldwin say he used in arguments with his father?
5. How did the French see Baldwin in the commissariat?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)