|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What war is discussed in the chapter entitled A Question of Identity?
(a) Vietnam War.
(b) World War II.
(c) Civil War.
(d) World War I.
2. What tool(s) does Baldwin take with him to the Swiss village?
(b) Pens and Pencils.
(d) Printing Press.
3. Approximately how many American Negroes were living in Paris during the 1950s?
4. What other event shared the same date as the funeral of Baldwin's father?
(a) Baldwin's 17th birthday.
(b) Baldwin's 18th birthday.
(c) Baldwin's 19th birthday.
(d) Baldwin's 20th birthday.
5. What was the profession of Baldwin's father?
(d) Hotel Attendant.
6. Where does Baldwin stay while in Switzerland?
(a) A room in a church.
(b) A chalet.
(c) A tent.
(d) A hotel.
7. Where did Baldwin go after his father's funeral to celebrate his birthday?
(d) Atlantic City.
8. According to Baldwin, which students are successfully entrenched in Parisian lifestyle?
(a) Those that know American history.
(b) Those that take time to study the culture and People of Paris.
(c) Those that use their GI funding to study at Parisian university.
(d) Those that marry French women.
9. Who visits Baldwin while he is in prison with the promise of sending someone to represent him at his trial?
(a) A released prisoner.
(b) An American patent attorney.
(c) A prison guard.
(d) A friend from New York City.
10. What did Baldwin consume a lot of while writing?
(a) Coffee and Croissants.
(b) Coffee and Tea.
(c) Coffee and Wine.
(d) Croissants and Wine.
11. What is one way that Baldwin claims a person can become entrenched in the Parisian lifestyle?
(a) Visiting the American embassy in France.
(b) Marrying a French citizen.
(c) Eating a French cafes.
(d) Living with a French Family.
12. Approximately how many people live in the Swiss village that Baldwin visits?
13. What emotion of Baldwin's father does he describe as "never to be trusted"?
(a) His father's sadness.
(b) His father's love.
(c) His father's kindness.
(d) His father's temper.
14. According to Baldwin, what has the African not yet endured that the American Negro has endured?
(a) Transcontinential travel.
(c) Alienation from his people and his past.
15. What is Baldwin arrested for while in Paris?
(a) Writing American propaganda on a hotel wall.
(b) Stealing money from a hotel.
(c) The theft of hotel soaps and lotions.
(d) The theft of a hotel sheet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who traveled with Baldwin to visit his dying father on Long Island?
2. What did Baldwin claim that the soldiers who studied in Paris had in common with the rest of the soliders that fought in the war?
3. What does Baldwin assume is the main religion of the Swiss village?
4. What performer did Baldwin believe would be remembered for their performance as the embattled solider in Broadway's Deep Are the Roots?
5. According to Baldwin, what does the black man in American struggle to find?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)