|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visits Baldwin while he is in prison with the promise of sending someone to represent him at his trial?
(a) An American patent attorney.
(b) A prison guard.
(c) A released prisoner.
(d) A friend from New York City.
2. Where did Baldwin spend much of his time while in Paris?
(b) The Eiffel Tower.
3. When was Baldwin's father born?
(b) It is unknown.
(c) During slavery.
4. What did Baldwin drink before his father's funeral?
5. What do the Swiss Villagers occasionally do on Sundays?
(a) Go to the movies.
(b) Wash dirty laundry.
(d) Cook dinner.
6. In what year was Baldwin arrested in Paris?
7. According to Baldwin, what feeling did the American Negro and the French Negro share?
(a) A sense of displacement.
(b) A sense of change.
(c) A sense of sadness.
(d) A sense of overwhelming understanding.
8. How many hours does it take to get from Milan to the Swiss Village?
9. What food was always in the reoccurring nightmares that Baldwin had while in Fresnes?
(a) Collard greens.
(b) His mother's macaroni and cheese.
(c) His mother's fried chicken.
(d) Sweet potato pie.
10. According to Baldwin, which one of the following performers had the ability to be a successful performer in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
(a) Jospehine Baker.
(b) Dorothy Dandridge.
(c) Harry Belafonte.
(d) Duke Ellington.
11. What is the population of the town at the foot of the mountain, where many of the Swiss villagers shop and go to the movies?
12. What tool(s) does Baldwin take with him to the Swiss village?
(c) Printing Press.
(d) Pens and Pencils.
13. What issue is the American constantly confronted with in Paris?
14. Why does Baldwin assume that the Swiss village is not Protestant?
(a) There are no Protestant churches.
(b) The synagogue are open more often.
(c) The Swiss villagers have Buddhist temples in their homes.
(d) The Catholic churches are open more often.
15. According to Baldwin, what does not exist among American students in Paris in the 1950s?
(a) A worthwhile experience.
(b) An educational experience.
(c) A different experience.
(d) A common experience.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of discussing the past, what does Baldwin suggest the American Negro and Whites discuss while in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
2. What does Baldwin say must sustain the American Negro in the present?
3. How does Baldwin describe the housing of all students living in the Latin Quarter?
4. Who traveled with Baldwin to visit his dying father on Long Island?
5. Where does Baldwin think the older brothers and sisters in the Swiss village go to school?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)