|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the first church that Baldwin can remember attending with his family as a child?
(a) Abyssinia Baptist Church.
(b) Harlem United Church.
(c) 138th Street Baptist Church.
(d) First Baptist Church.
2. Where does Baldwin stay while in Switzerland?
(a) A hotel.
(b) A chalet.
(c) A room in a church.
(d) A tent.
3. How far was the Fresnes prison from Paris?
(a) Fourteen Kilometers.
(b) Twelve Kilometers.
(c) Ten Kilometers.
(d) Sixteen Kilometers.
4. Why does Baldwin go to the Swiss village?
(a) To practice a new religion.
(b) To study the culture of the people in the village.
(c) To see if there are any Black people in Switzerland.
(d) To write.
5. What was the profession of Baldwin's father?
(a) Hotel Attendant.
6. How did the French see Baldwin in the commissariat?
(a) As an American.
(b) As an American Negro.
(c) As a French man.
(d) As a French Negro.
7. What prison was Baldwin's friend sent to that he was forbidden to enter?
(a) La Santé.
(d) La Mese.
8. What does Baldwin assume is the main religion of the Swiss village?
9. How many schoolhouses are located in the Swiss village?
10. What occurred a few hours after the funeral of Baldwin's father?
(a) A Progressive Party rally.
(b) A black man was beat up by the police.
(c) Baldwin's brother passed away.
(d) A race riot.
11. Where does Baldwin think the older brothers and sisters in the Swiss village go to school?
(b) The town at the bottom of the mountain.
(d) The synagogue.
12. How does Baldwin describe the entertainment industry in Paris for American performers in the 1940s and 50s?
13. What does Baldwin say must sustain the American Negro in the present?
(a) The European present.
(b) The European future.
(c) The American past that is disregarded in Europe.
(d) The African past that is disregarded in Europe.
14. What did Baldwin's first jail cell resemble?
(a) A chicken coop.
(b) A bird's nest.
(c) A prison cell.
(d) An American prison.
15. Where did Baldwin live while in Paris?
(a) A rented apartment.
(b) French hotels.
(c) The home of French friends.
(d) French motels.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the night club in the Latin Quarter that specializes in fried chicken and jazz?
2. According to Baldwin, what has the African not yet endured that the American Negro has endured?
3. Which group did Baldwin mention as living together in groups - in the same neighborhoods and student hotels - while in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
4. Who traveled with Baldwin to visit his dying father on Long Island?
5. In the essay Equal in Paris, what city was Baldwin's new "friend" from?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)