|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What action performed by the prison guards did Baldwin think demoralized him as a human being?
(a) Deliberately not feeding the inmates.
(b) Branding each prisoner with their inmate number.
(c) Removal of one's shoelace and belts.
(d) Restriction of one's religious beliefs.
2. Who traveled with Baldwin to visit his dying father on Long Island?
(a) Baldwin's mother.
(b) Baldwin's brother.
(c) Baldwin's friend.
(d) Baldwin's aunt.
3. What war is discussed in the chapter entitled A Question of Identity?
(a) Vietnam War.
(b) Civil War.
(c) World War II.
(d) World War I.
4. Why does Baldwin escape to Paris?
(a) To study French culture.
(b) To escape the racial prejudice of America.
(c) To live with a French family.
(d) To escape the racial prejudice of Africa.
5. According to Baldwin, which of the following can the black man call home?
6. What is Baldwin arrested for while in Paris?
(a) Stealing money from a hotel.
(b) The theft of hotel soaps and lotions.
(c) Writing American propaganda on a hotel wall.
(d) The theft of a hotel sheet.
7. In what year did Baldwin's father die?
8. Who offered to contact someone outside of the prison on behalf of Baldwin?
(a) A police officer.
(b) A prison guard.
(c) A released prisoner.
(d) A patent lawyer.
9. Where did Baldwin spend much of his time while in Paris?
(a) The Eiffel Tower.
10. Which group of Swiss villagers sometimes extend grave overtures of friendship to Baldwin?
(a) Teenage Girls.
(d) Senior Citizens.
11. According to Baldwin, who were the only people able to maintain a useful and unquestioned friendship with Negroes during the 1940s and 50s in Paris?
(a) Negro soliders.
(b) White Americans.
(c) Negro entertainers.
(d) The French.
12. Instead of discussing the past, what does Baldwin suggest the American Negro and Whites discuss while in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
(b) French politics.
(c) The Eiffel Tower.
(d) American politics.
13. What did Baldwin suggest attracted ex-GI's to live and study in Paris?
(a) The architecture associated with Paris.
(b) The beauty of the language.
(c) The food associated with Paris.
(d) The romanticism associated with Paris.
14. What does Baldwin say must sustain the American Negro in the present?
(a) The African past that is disregarded in Europe.
(b) The American past that is disregarded in Europe.
(c) The European future.
(d) The European present.
15. What was the profession of Baldwin's father?
(d) Hotel Attendant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how many people live in the Swiss village that Baldwin visits?
2. What does Baldwin say boys and young men of the Swiss village can be seen doing all week long?
3. Baldwin believed that the American Negro in Paris in the 1940s and 50s was forced to exercise what practice?
4. How did the French see Baldwin in the commissariat?
5. What prison was Baldwin's friend sent to that he was forbidden to enter?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)