|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which group of Swiss villagers sometimes extend grave overtures of friendship to Baldwin?
(b) Teenage Girls.
(c) Senior Citizens.
2. What university were American soldiers attending in Paris?
(a) University of Paris.
(c) University of London.
(d) Sorbonne University.
3. What did Baldwin drink before his father's funeral?
4. Who were the only white people that visited Baldwin's childhood home?
(a) Welfare workers and teachers.
(b) Welfare workers and police officers.
(c) Welfare workers and bill collectors.
(d) Bill Collectors and police officers.
5. According to Baldwin, what is afforded to American students in Paris?
6. Where does Baldwin stay while in Switzerland?
(a) A tent.
(b) A chalet.
(c) A hotel.
(d) A room in a church.
7. What prison was Baldwin sent to because of his last name?
(a) La Santé.
(c) La Mese.
8. According to Baldwin, what discovery brings an end to the alienation of the American student in Paris?
(a) Discovering America from the vantage point of the French African.
(b) Discovering American culture.
(c) Discovering European culture.
(d) Discovering America from the vantage point of Europe.
9. How does Baldwin describe the lives of the nonperforming Negroes in Paris as compared to the lives of Negro entertainers in the 1940s and 50s?
10. In the chapter, A Question of Identity, how does Baldwin learn about his struggle for identity in the world?
(a) By speaking with Parisians.
(b) By studying at a Parisian University.
(c) By observing others and examining his own growth.
(d) By observing the lifestyle of the French African.
11. In what year did Baldwin's father die?
12. Instead of discussing the past, what does Baldwin suggest the American Negro and Whites discuss while in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
(a) American politics.
(c) The Eiffel Tower.
(d) French politics.
13. What technique did Baldwin say he used in arguments with his father?
(b) Name calling.
(c) Combative behavior.
14. What tool(s) does Baldwin take with him to the Swiss village?
(a) Pens and Pencils.
(d) Printing Press.
15. What action performed by the prison guards did Baldwin think demoralized him as a human being?
(a) Restriction of one's religious beliefs.
(b) Deliberately not feeding the inmates.
(c) Removal of one's shoelace and belts.
(d) Branding each prisoner with their inmate number.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the profession of Baldwin's father?
2. In the essay Equal in Paris, what city was Baldwin's new "friend" from?
3. How far was the Fresnes prison from Paris?
4. In the chapter entitled A Question of Identity, what does Baldwin describe as a flimsy structure, beneath contempt, designed by and for all the other people?
5. According to Baldwin, what feeling did the American Negro and the French Negro share?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)