|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what discovery brings an end to the alienation of the American student in Paris?
(a) Discovering American culture.
(b) Discovering America from the vantage point of the French African.
(c) Discovering European culture.
(d) Discovering America from the vantage point of Europe.
2. Where did Baldwin spend much of his time while in Paris?
(a) The Eiffel Tower.
3. Where did Baldwin and his white friend from New York go on Baldwin's last night in New Jersey?
(a) To the movies and to have drinks.
(b) To downtown New York City.
(c) To the casino.
(d) Atlantic City, NJ.
4. What war is discussed in the chapter entitled A Question of Identity?
(a) Vietnam War.
(b) World War I.
(c) World War II.
(d) Civil War.
5. What do the Swiss Villagers occasionally do on Sundays?
(a) Cook dinner.
(b) Go to the movies.
(d) Wash dirty laundry.
6. What reason does Baldwin give for not believing that ex-GIs traveled to Paris to study?
(a) Because ex-GIs did not like in the student colony.
(b) Because the ex-GIs could study the same things in the United States.
(c) Because ex-GIs rarely attended their courses.
(d) Because ex-GIs went to Paris for the culture.
7. What reason does Baldwin give for Blacks living in Paris?
(a) They wanted to marry French women.
(b) They fell in love with the language and cultural of Paris.
(c) They wanted to escape from American society.
(d) They wanted to learn more about France.
8. What performer did Baldwin believe would be remembered for their performance as the embattled solider in Broadway's Deep Are the Roots?
(a) Harry Belafonte.
(b) Gordon Heath.
(c) Joe Adams.
(d) Otto Preminger.
9. According to Baldwin, what does the black man in American struggle to find?
(a) His childhood memories.
(b) His real family.
(c) His former slave master.
(d) His own identity.
10. According to Baldwin, how did an American Negro view another American Negro in Paris during the 1940s and 50s?
(a) A source of joy.
(b) A source of rage.
(c) A source of knowledge.
(d) A source of sadness.
11. How does Baldwin describe the entertainment industry in Paris for American performers in the 1940s and 50s?
12. What prison was Baldwin's friend sent to that he was forbidden to enter?
(a) La Santé.
(b) La Mese.
13. According to Baldwin, what has the African not yet endured that the American Negro has endured?
(b) Transcontinential travel.
(c) Alienation from his people and his past.
14. What does Baldwin assume is the main religion of the Swiss village?
15. What gift did Baldwin's attorney friend bring him in prison?
(a) A bottle of French wine.
(b) Lucky Strike Cigarettes.
(d) Clean bed sheets .
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Baldwin's father die?
2. What tool(s) does Baldwin take with him to the Swiss village?
3. What have some of the men in the Swiss village accused Baldwin of doing?
4. In total, how many days did Baldwin spend in the French prison system?
5. In what year was Baldwin arrested in Paris?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)