|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baldwin say boys and young men of the Swiss village can be seen doing all week long?
(a) Going to church.
(c) Shoveling snow off of the rooftops.
2. How many hours does it take to get from Milan to the Swiss Village?
3. What did Baldwin claim that the soldiers who studied in Paris had in common with the rest of the soliders that fought in the war?
(a) They both studied French culture.
(b) They both were Black.
(c) They both wore uniforms.
(d) They both spoke French.
4. According to Baldwin, what has the African not yet endured that the American Negro has endured?
(a) Transcontinential travel.
(c) Alienation from his people and his past.
5. Who visits Baldwin while he is in prison with the promise of sending someone to represent him at his trial?
(a) A prison guard.
(b) A friend from New York City.
(c) A released prisoner.
(d) An American patent attorney.
6. Who traveled with Baldwin to visit his dying father on Long Island?
(a) Baldwin's friend.
(b) Baldwin's mother.
(c) Baldwin's aunt.
(d) Baldwin's brother.
7. Where does Baldwin think the older brothers and sisters in the Swiss village go to school?
(a) The synagogue.
(c) The town at the bottom of the mountain.
8. What happened on the same day that Baldwin's father died?
(a) The seventh child was born.
(b) The tenth child was born.
(c) The eighth child was born.
(d) The ninth child was born.
9. How does Baldwin describe the entertainment industry in Paris for American performers in the 1940s and 50s?
10. What did Baldwin drink before his father's funeral?
11. Approximately how many people live in the Swiss village that Baldwin visits?
12. What emotion of Baldwin's father does he describe as "never to be trusted"?
(a) His father's temper.
(b) His father's sadness.
(c) His father's love.
(d) His father's kindness.
13. According to Baldwin, what discovery brings an end to the alienation of the American student in Paris?
(a) Discovering America from the vantage point of the French African.
(b) Discovering America from the vantage point of Europe.
(c) Discovering European culture.
(d) Discovering American culture.
14. According to Baldwin, which students are successfully entrenched in Parisian lifestyle?
(a) Those that marry French women.
(b) Those that know American history.
(c) Those that take time to study the culture and People of Paris.
(d) Those that use their GI funding to study at Parisian university.
15. What did Baldwin suggest attracted ex-GI's to live and study in Paris?
(a) The food associated with Paris.
(b) The romanticism associated with Paris.
(c) The beauty of the language.
(d) The architecture associated with Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter, A Question of Identity, how does Baldwin learn about his struggle for identity in the world?
2. According to Baldwin, how did an American Negro view another American Negro in Paris during the 1940s and 50s?
3. What is the name of the night club in the Latin Quarter that specializes in fried chicken and jazz?
4. What performer did Baldwin believe would be remembered for their performance as the embattled solider in Broadway's Deep Are the Roots?
5. What occurred a few hours after the funeral of Baldwin's father?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)