|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Baldwin go after his father's funeral to celebrate his birthday?
(c) Atlantic City.
2. How does Baldwin describe the lives of the nonperforming Negroes in Paris as compared to the lives of Negro entertainers in the 1940s and 50s?
3. What issue is the American constantly confronted with in Paris?
4. Whose records did Baldwin's father forbid his children to play?
(a) The Melodeers.
(b) James Brown.
(c) The Golden Gate Quartet.
(d) Louis Armstrong.
5. How did the French see Baldwin in the commissariat?
(a) As an American Negro.
(b) As an American.
(c) As a French man.
(d) As a French Negro.
6. What emotion of Baldwin's father does he describe as "never to be trusted"?
(a) His father's love.
(b) His father's temper.
(c) His father's sadness.
(d) His father's kindness.
7. What other event shared the same date as the funeral of Baldwin's father?
(a) Baldwin's 17th birthday.
(b) Baldwin's 20th birthday.
(c) Baldwin's 19th birthday.
(d) Baldwin's 18th birthday.
8. What is the name of the night club in the Latin Quarter that specializes in fried chicken and jazz?
(a) Chez Inez.
(b) Chez Paris.
(c) Le Paris cafe.
(d) Sorbonne cafe.
9. In what year was Baldwin arrested in Paris?
10. Where did Baldwin and his white friend from New York go on Baldwin's last night in New Jersey?
(a) To downtown New York City.
(b) To the movies and to have drinks.
(c) Atlantic City, NJ.
(d) To the casino.
11. Who is the owner of the night club in the Latin Quarter that specializes in fried chicken and jazz?
(a) Otto Preminger.
(b) Chester Bomar Himes.
(c) Harry Belafonte.
(d) Inez Cavanaugh.
12. What have some of the men in the Swiss village accused Baldwin of doing?
(a) Stealing firewood.
(b) Being the devil.
(c) Talking badly about their religion.
(d) Dating some of the women in the Swiss village.
13. What term does Baldwin use to describe the lives of American student in Paris in the 1950s?
(a) Social Stability.
(b) Social Limbo.
(c) Social Butterflies.
(d) Social Congruence.
14. What is Baldwin arrested for while in Paris?
(a) The theft of a hotel sheet.
(b) Stealing money from a hotel.
(c) The theft of hotel soaps and lotions.
(d) Writing American propaganda on a hotel wall.
15. What does Baldwin say must sustain the American Negro in the present?
(a) The American past that is disregarded in Europe.
(b) The European present.
(c) The African past that is disregarded in Europe.
(d) The European future.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prison was Baldwin's friend sent to that he was forbidden to enter?
2. Approximately how many American Negroes were living in Paris during the 1950s?
3. Instead of discussing the past, what does Baldwin suggest the American Negro and Whites discuss while in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
4. What action performed by the prison guards did Baldwin think demoralized him as a human being?
5. What legislation made it possible for American soldiers to pay for their education in Paris after the war?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)