|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion of Baldwin's father does he describe as "never to be trusted"?
(a) His father's temper.
(b) His father's love.
(c) His father's sadness.
(d) His father's kindness.
2. Which group did Baldwin mention as living together in groups - in the same neighborhoods and student hotels - while in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
(a) White Americans.
(b) American Negroes.
(c) Black soldiers.
(d) The French African.
3. Where did Baldwin and his white friend from New York go on Baldwin's last night in New Jersey?
(a) To the casino.
(b) To the movies and to have drinks.
(c) To downtown New York City.
(d) Atlantic City, NJ.
4. What prison was Baldwin's friend sent to that he was forbidden to enter?
(b) La Mese.
(c) La Santé.
5. What occurred a few hours after the funeral of Baldwin's father?
(a) A Progressive Party rally.
(b) A race riot.
(c) A black man was beat up by the police.
(d) Baldwin's brother passed away.
6. How far was the Fresnes prison from Paris?
(a) Twelve Kilometers.
(b) Sixteen Kilometers.
(c) Ten Kilometers.
(d) Fourteen Kilometers.
7. Instead of discussing the past, what does Baldwin suggest the American Negro and Whites discuss while in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
(b) The Eiffel Tower.
(c) American politics.
(d) French politics.
8. Who were the only white people that visited Baldwin's childhood home?
(a) Bill Collectors and police officers.
(b) Welfare workers and bill collectors.
(c) Welfare workers and teachers.
(d) Welfare workers and police officers.
9. What tool(s) does Baldwin take with him to the Swiss village?
(a) Printing Press.
(c) Pens and Pencils.
10. What action performed by the prison guards did Baldwin think demoralized him as a human being?
(a) Removal of one's shoelace and belts.
(b) Restriction of one's religious beliefs.
(c) Deliberately not feeding the inmates.
(d) Branding each prisoner with their inmate number.
11. In the essay Equal in Paris, what are we told lead police to know that one of the Parisian hotels had their property stolen?
(a) A witness called the police.
(b) The hotel monogram on the sheets.
(c) The color of the sheets.
(d) Baldwin's friend told the police they were stolen.
12. What performer did Baldwin believe would be remembered for their performance as the embattled solider in Broadway's Deep Are the Roots?
(a) Otto Preminger.
(b) Harry Belafonte.
(c) Gordon Heath.
(d) Joe Adams.
13. Approximately how many people live in the Swiss village that Baldwin visits?
14. What gift did Baldwin's attorney friend bring him in prison?
(a) A bottle of French wine.
(c) Lucky Strike Cigarettes.
(d) Clean bed sheets .
15. What did Baldwin claim that the soldiers who studied in Paris had in common with the rest of the soliders that fought in the war?
(a) They both studied French culture.
(b) They both were Black.
(c) They both wore uniforms.
(d) They both spoke French.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many hours does it take to get from Milan to the Swiss Village?
2. What university were American soldiers attending in Paris?
3. What war is discussed in the chapter entitled A Question of Identity?
4. When was Baldwin's father born?
5. What is the name of the night club in the Latin Quarter that specializes in fried chicken and jazz?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)