|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visits Baldwin while he is in prison with the promise of sending someone to represent him at his trial?
(a) An American patent attorney.
(b) A friend from New York City.
(c) A released prisoner.
(d) A prison guard.
2. What is one way that Baldwin claims a person can become entrenched in the Parisian lifestyle?
(a) Marrying a French citizen.
(b) Visiting the American embassy in France.
(c) Living with a French Family.
(d) Eating a French cafes.
3. What is the name of the first church that Baldwin can remember attending with his family as a child?
(a) Harlem United Church.
(b) First Baptist Church.
(c) Abyssinia Baptist Church.
(d) 138th Street Baptist Church.
4. What does Baldwin assume is the main religion of the Swiss village?
5. What did Baldwin drink before his father's funeral?
6. What legislation made it possible for American soldiers to pay for their education in Paris after the war?
(a) The Veterans Educational Achievement Act.
(b) G.I. Bill.
(c) The Soldier's Education Act.
(d) The Foreign Education Bill.
7. Who offered to contact someone outside of the prison on behalf of Baldwin?
(a) A patent lawyer.
(b) A prison guard.
(c) A police officer.
(d) A released prisoner.
8. Why does Baldwin assume that the Swiss village is not Protestant?
(a) There are no Protestant churches.
(b) The Swiss villagers have Buddhist temples in their homes.
(c) The synagogue are open more often.
(d) The Catholic churches are open more often.
9. According to Baldwin, what discovery brings an end to the alienation of the American student in Paris?
(a) Discovering European culture.
(b) Discovering American culture.
(c) Discovering America from the vantage point of Europe.
(d) Discovering America from the vantage point of the French African.
10. Where did Baldwin go after his father's funeral to celebrate his birthday?
(c) Atlantic City.
11. According to Baldwin, what feeling did the American Negro and the French Negro share?
(a) A sense of displacement.
(b) A sense of change.
(c) A sense of sadness.
(d) A sense of overwhelming understanding.
12. According to Baldwin, how did an American Negro view another American Negro in Paris during the 1940s and 50s?
(a) A source of sadness.
(b) A source of knowledge.
(c) A source of rage.
(d) A source of joy.
13. According to Baldwin, which one of the following performers had the ability to be a successful performer in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
(a) Jospehine Baker.
(b) Harry Belafonte.
(c) Duke Ellington.
(d) Dorothy Dandridge.
14. In the essay Equal in Paris, what are we told lead police to know that one of the Parisian hotels had their property stolen?
(a) A witness called the police.
(b) The hotel monogram on the sheets.
(c) Baldwin's friend told the police they were stolen.
(d) The color of the sheets.
15. How long had Baldwin been gone from home when his father passed away?
(a) A little over a year.
(b) Less than a year.
(c) One year.
(d) More than 2 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Baldwin and his white friend from New York go on Baldwin's last night in New Jersey?
2. According to Baldwin, who were the only people able to maintain a useful and unquestioned friendship with Negroes during the 1940s and 50s in Paris?
3. According to Baldwin, which students are successfully entrenched in Parisian lifestyle?
4. According to Baldwin, where does the family lineage of any black man in America stop?
5. Why does Baldwin escape to Paris?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)