|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What have some of the men in the Swiss village accused Baldwin of doing?
(a) Being the devil.
(b) Talking badly about their religion.
(c) Stealing firewood.
(d) Dating some of the women in the Swiss village.
2. Why does Baldwin assume that the Swiss village is not Protestant?
(a) The Catholic churches are open more often.
(b) The Swiss villagers have Buddhist temples in their homes.
(c) There are no Protestant churches.
(d) The synagogue are open more often.
3. How does Baldwin describe the housing of all students living in the Latin Quarter?
(a) Dingy hotels.
(b) Hotels with classic architecture.
(c) Ageless, sinister-looking hotels.
(d) Medival-looking hotels.
4. Where does Baldwin stay while in Switzerland?
(a) A tent.
(b) A chalet.
(c) A hotel.
(d) A room in a church.
5. What war is discussed in the chapter entitled A Question of Identity?
(a) World War II.
(b) World War I.
(c) Civil War.
(d) Vietnam War.
6. What do the Swiss Villagers occasionally do on Sundays?
(a) Cook dinner.
(b) Wash dirty laundry.
(d) Go to the movies.
7. Where does Baldwin think the older brothers and sisters in the Swiss village go to school?
(b) The synagogue.
(d) The town at the bottom of the mountain.
8. What reason does Baldwin give for Blacks living in Paris?
(a) They wanted to marry French women.
(b) They wanted to escape from American society.
(c) They fell in love with the language and cultural of Paris.
(d) They wanted to learn more about France.
9. Who visits Baldwin while he is in prison with the promise of sending someone to represent him at his trial?
(a) A friend from New York City.
(b) A released prisoner.
(c) An American patent attorney.
(d) A prison guard.
10. What did Baldwin claim that the soldiers who studied in Paris had in common with the rest of the soliders that fought in the war?
(a) They both studied French culture.
(b) They both were Black.
(c) They both wore uniforms.
(d) They both spoke French.
11. Which group of Swiss villagers sometimes extend grave overtures of friendship to Baldwin?
(c) Teenage Girls.
(d) Senior Citizens.
12. What legislation made it possible for American soldiers to pay for their education in Paris after the war?
(a) The Foreign Education Bill.
(b) G.I. Bill.
(c) The Soldier's Education Act.
(d) The Veterans Educational Achievement Act.
13. What color clothing did Baldwin say he did not have to wear to his father's funeral?
14. Why does Baldwin go to the Swiss village?
(a) To study the culture of the people in the village.
(b) To practice a new religion.
(c) To see if there are any Black people in Switzerland.
(d) To write.
15. Who were the only white people that visited Baldwin's childhood home?
(a) Welfare workers and teachers.
(b) Welfare workers and police officers.
(c) Welfare workers and bill collectors.
(d) Bill Collectors and police officers.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, where does the family lineage of any black man in America stop?
2. What is Baldwin arrested for while in Paris?
3. How does Baldwin describe the entertainment industry in Paris for American performers in the 1940s and 50s?
4. What did Baldwin consume a lot of while writing?
5. What prison was Baldwin sent to because of his last name?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)