|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the population of the town at the foot of the mountain, where many of the Swiss villagers shop and go to the movies?
2. According to Baldwin, who were the only people able to maintain a useful and unquestioned friendship with Negroes during the 1940s and 50s in Paris?
(a) Negro entertainers.
(b) White Americans.
(c) Negro soliders.
(d) The French.
3. According to Baldwin, what is afforded to American students in Paris?
4. According to Baldwin, what has the African not yet endured that the American Negro has endured?
(c) Transcontinential travel.
(d) Alienation from his people and his past.
5. Where does Baldwin think the older brothers and sisters in the Swiss village go to school?
(a) The town at the bottom of the mountain.
(d) The synagogue.
6. What term does Baldwin use to describe the lives of American student in Paris in the 1950s?
(a) Social Butterflies.
(b) Social Limbo.
(c) Social Stability.
(d) Social Congruence.
7. What reason does Baldwin give for Blacks living in Paris?
(a) They wanted to marry French women.
(b) They wanted to escape from American society.
(c) They fell in love with the language and cultural of Paris.
(d) They wanted to learn more about France.
8. Who visits Baldwin while he is in prison with the promise of sending someone to represent him at his trial?
(a) An American patent attorney.
(b) A prison guard.
(c) A friend from New York City.
(d) A released prisoner.
9. What do the children call Baldwin when he first arrives in the Swiss village?
(b) Poor man.
(c) Black man.
10. In the chapter entitled A Question of Identity, what does Baldwin describe as a flimsy structure, beneath contempt, designed by and for all the other people?
11. Approximately how many people live in the Swiss village that Baldwin visits?
12. According to Baldwin, which students are successfully entrenched in Parisian lifestyle?
(a) Those that use their GI funding to study at Parisian university.
(b) Those that know American history.
(c) Those that marry French women.
(d) Those that take time to study the culture and People of Paris.
13. Where does Baldwin stay while in Switzerland?
(a) A tent.
(b) A room in a church.
(c) A hotel.
(d) A chalet.
14. How does Baldwin describe the entertainment industry in Paris for American performers in the 1940s and 50s?
15. According to Baldwin, how did an American Negro view another American Negro in Paris during the 1940s and 50s?
(a) A source of sadness.
(b) A source of knowledge.
(c) A source of rage.
(d) A source of joy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the owner of the night club in the Latin Quarter that specializes in fried chicken and jazz?
2. Approximately how many American Negroes were living in Paris during the 1950s?
3. In what year was Baldwin arrested in Paris?
4. What does Baldwin say must sustain the American Negro in the present?
5. In the chapter, A Question of Identity, how does Baldwin learn about his struggle for identity in the world?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)