|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what was the legend of Paris?
(a) One of freedom.
(b) One of democracy.
(c) One of equality.
(d) One of bureaucracy.
2. Approximately how many people live in the Swiss village that Baldwin visits?
3. What does Baldwin assume is the main religion of the Swiss village?
4. In total, how many days did Baldwin spend in the French prison system?
5. Who is the owner of the night club in the Latin Quarter that specializes in fried chicken and jazz?
(a) Chester Bomar Himes.
(b) Otto Preminger.
(c) Harry Belafonte.
(d) Inez Cavanaugh.
6. Approximately how many American Negroes were living in Paris during the 1950s?
7. What is one way that Baldwin claims a person can become entrenched in the Parisian lifestyle?
(a) Eating a French cafes.
(b) Living with a French Family.
(c) Marrying a French citizen.
(d) Visiting the American embassy in France.
8. Where does Baldwin think the older brothers and sisters in the Swiss village go to school?
(a) The town at the bottom of the mountain.
(d) The synagogue.
9. According to Baldwin, what feeling did the American Negro and the French Negro share?
(a) A sense of displacement.
(b) A sense of change.
(c) A sense of sadness.
(d) A sense of overwhelming understanding.
10. In the essay Equal in Paris, what city was Baldwin's new "friend" from?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) New Jersey.
(c) New York City.
(d) Atlantic City.
11. What did Baldwin drink before his father's funeral?
12. How long had Baldwin been gone from home when his father passed away?
(a) One year.
(b) Less than a year.
(c) More than 2 years.
(d) A little over a year.
13. According to Baldwin, what is afforded to American students in Paris?
14. Who traveled with Baldwin to visit his dying father on Long Island?
(a) Baldwin's friend.
(b) Baldwin's mother.
(c) Baldwin's aunt.
(d) Baldwin's brother.
15. In what year was Baldwin arrested in Paris?
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Baldwin give for not believing that ex-GIs traveled to Paris to study?
2. How does Baldwin describe the entertainment industry in Paris for American performers in the 1940s and 50s?
3. What tool(s) does Baldwin take with him to the Swiss village?
4. How many schoolhouses are located in the Swiss village?
5. What does Baldwin say boys and young men of the Swiss village can be seen doing all week long?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)