|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far was the Fresnes prison from Paris?
(a) Fourteen Kilometers.
(b) Twelve Kilometers.
(c) Ten Kilometers.
(d) Sixteen Kilometers.
2. How does Baldwin describe the housing of all students living in the Latin Quarter?
(a) Dingy hotels.
(b) Medival-looking hotels.
(c) Hotels with classic architecture.
(d) Ageless, sinister-looking hotels.
3. What did Baldwin claim that the soldiers who studied in Paris had in common with the rest of the soliders that fought in the war?
(a) They both spoke French.
(b) They both were Black.
(c) They both wore uniforms.
(d) They both studied French culture.
4. What color clothing did Baldwin say he did not have to wear to his father's funeral?
5. How does Baldwin describe the lives of the nonperforming Negroes in Paris as compared to the lives of Negro entertainers in the 1940s and 50s?
6. What war is discussed in the chapter entitled A Question of Identity?
(a) Civil War.
(b) Vietnam War.
(c) World War II.
(d) World War I.
7. What does Baldwin say must sustain the American Negro in the present?
(a) The American past that is disregarded in Europe.
(b) The European present.
(c) The African past that is disregarded in Europe.
(d) The European future.
8. What have some of the men in the Swiss village accused Baldwin of doing?
(a) Dating some of the women in the Swiss village.
(b) Talking badly about their religion.
(c) Stealing firewood.
(d) Being the devil.
9. What food was always in the reoccurring nightmares that Baldwin had while in Fresnes?
(a) His mother's macaroni and cheese.
(b) Collard greens.
(c) Sweet potato pie.
(d) His mother's fried chicken.
10. Which group did Baldwin mention as living together in groups - in the same neighborhoods and student hotels - while in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
(a) The French African.
(b) White Americans.
(c) Black soldiers.
(d) American Negroes.
11. Who traveled with Baldwin to visit his dying father on Long Island?
(a) Baldwin's friend.
(b) Baldwin's aunt.
(c) Baldwin's brother.
(d) Baldwin's mother.
12. What other event shared the same date as the funeral of Baldwin's father?
(a) Baldwin's 19th birthday.
(b) Baldwin's 20th birthday.
(c) Baldwin's 17th birthday.
(d) Baldwin's 18th birthday.
13. In the essay Equal in Paris, what are we told lead police to know that one of the Parisian hotels had their property stolen?
(a) A witness called the police.
(b) The hotel monogram on the sheets.
(c) Baldwin's friend told the police they were stolen.
(d) The color of the sheets.
14. Where was Baldwin's father born?
(a) New Orleans.
(d) St. Louis.
15. According to Baldwin, what has the African not yet endured that the American Negro has endured?
(a) Transcontinential travel.
(c) Alienation from his people and his past.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the profession of Baldwin's father?
2. What performer did Baldwin believe would be remembered for their performance as the embattled solider in Broadway's Deep Are the Roots?
3. In what year did Baldwin's father die?
4. According to Baldwin, what was the legend of Paris?
5. Where did Baldwin live while in Paris?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)