|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what is afforded to American students in Paris?
2. What tool(s) does Baldwin take with him to the Swiss village?
(a) Pens and Pencils.
(d) Printing Press.
3. When was Baldwin's father born?
(a) During slavery.
(d) It is unknown.
4. Where was Baldwin's father born?
(a) New Orleans.
(d) St. Louis.
5. Why does Baldwin assume that the Swiss village is not Protestant?
(a) The synagogue are open more often.
(b) The Catholic churches are open more often.
(c) There are no Protestant churches.
(d) The Swiss villagers have Buddhist temples in their homes.
6. What have some of the men in the Swiss village accused Baldwin of doing?
(a) Stealing firewood.
(b) Being the devil.
(c) Dating some of the women in the Swiss village.
(d) Talking badly about their religion.
7. What is the name of the first church that Baldwin can remember attending with his family as a child?
(a) Harlem United Church.
(b) Abyssinia Baptist Church.
(c) First Baptist Church.
(d) 138th Street Baptist Church.
8. According to Baldwin, which students are successfully entrenched in Parisian lifestyle?
(a) Those that marry French women.
(b) Those that take time to study the culture and People of Paris.
(c) Those that know American history.
(d) Those that use their GI funding to study at Parisian university.
9. Which group of Swiss villagers sometimes extend grave overtures of friendship to Baldwin?
(a) Teenage Girls.
(b) Senior Citizens.
10. How many hours does it take to get from Milan to the Swiss Village?
11. What prison was Baldwin's friend sent to that he was forbidden to enter?
(b) La Mese.
(d) La Santé.
12. How long had Baldwin been gone from home when his father passed away?
(a) A little over a year.
(b) One year.
(c) Less than a year.
(d) More than 2 years.
13. Who visits Baldwin while he is in prison with the promise of sending someone to represent him at his trial?
(a) An American patent attorney.
(b) A prison guard.
(c) A friend from New York City.
(d) A released prisoner.
14. According to Baldwin, how did an American Negro view another American Negro in Paris during the 1940s and 50s?
(a) A source of joy.
(b) A source of knowledge.
(c) A source of sadness.
(d) A source of rage.
15. What did Baldwin's first jail cell resemble?
(a) An American prison.
(b) A chicken coop.
(c) A prison cell.
(d) A bird's nest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Baldwin think the older brothers and sisters in the Swiss village go to school?
2. What performer did Baldwin believe would be remembered for their performance as the embattled solider in Broadway's Deep Are the Roots?
3. How does Baldwin describe the entertainment industry in Paris for American performers in the 1940s and 50s?
4. What is Baldwin arrested for while in Paris?
5. In the essay Equal in Paris, what city was Baldwin's new "friend" from?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)