|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color clothing did Baldwin say he did not have to wear to his father's funeral?
2. What does Baldwin assume is the main religion of the Swiss village?
3. Who offered to contact someone outside of the prison on behalf of Baldwin?
(a) A police officer.
(b) A released prisoner.
(c) A prison guard.
(d) A patent lawyer.
4. Where does Baldwin stay while in Switzerland?
(a) A tent.
(b) A hotel.
(c) A chalet.
(d) A room in a church.
5. Which group of Swiss villagers sometimes extend grave overtures of friendship to Baldwin?
(b) Senior Citizens.
(d) Teenage Girls.
6. What do the Swiss Villagers occasionally do on Sundays?
(a) Cook dinner.
(c) Wash dirty laundry.
(d) Go to the movies.
7. Where did Baldwin spend much of his time while in Paris?
(d) The Eiffel Tower.
8. What does Baldwin say boys and young men of the Swiss village can be seen doing all week long?
(c) Going to church.
(d) Shoveling snow off of the rooftops.
9. What did Baldwin suggest attracted ex-GI's to live and study in Paris?
(a) The romanticism associated with Paris.
(b) The food associated with Paris.
(c) The architecture associated with Paris.
(d) The beauty of the language.
10. What tool(s) does Baldwin take with him to the Swiss village?
(b) Pens and Pencils.
(d) Printing Press.
11. What issue is the American constantly confronted with in Paris?
12. What legislation made it possible for American soldiers to pay for their education in Paris after the war?
(a) The Veterans Educational Achievement Act.
(b) The Soldier's Education Act.
(c) G.I. Bill.
(d) The Foreign Education Bill.
13. Why does Baldwin assume that the Swiss village is not Protestant?
(a) The synagogue are open more often.
(b) The Catholic churches are open more often.
(c) There are no Protestant churches.
(d) The Swiss villagers have Buddhist temples in their homes.
14. According to Baldwin, which of the following can the black man call home?
15. How does Baldwin describe the entertainment industry in Paris for American performers in the 1940s and 50s?
Short Answer Questions
1. What have some of the men in the Swiss village accused Baldwin of doing?
2. In the essay Equal in Paris, what city was Baldwin's new "friend" from?
3. How does Baldwin describe the lives of the nonperforming Negroes in Paris as compared to the lives of Negro entertainers in the 1940s and 50s?
4. Instead of discussing the past, what does Baldwin suggest the American Negro and Whites discuss while in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
5. Whose records did Baldwin's father forbid his children to play?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)