|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Baldwin believed that the American Negro in Paris in the 1940s and 50s was forced to exercise what practice?
(a) Democratic discrimination.
(b) Racial discrimination.
(c) Undemocratic discrimination.
(d) Age discrimination.
2. What prison was Baldwin sent to because of his last name?
(a) La Mese.
(d) La Santé.
3. What other event shared the same date as the funeral of Baldwin's father?
(a) Baldwin's 18th birthday.
(b) Baldwin's 17th birthday.
(c) Baldwin's 20th birthday.
(d) Baldwin's 19th birthday.
4. What do the Swiss Villagers occasionally do on Sundays?
(a) Cook dinner.
(c) Go to the movies.
(d) Wash dirty laundry.
5. What did Baldwin suggest attracted ex-GI's to live and study in Paris?
(a) The beauty of the language.
(b) The architecture associated with Paris.
(c) The food associated with Paris.
(d) The romanticism associated with Paris.
6. In the essay Equal in Paris, what are we told lead police to know that one of the Parisian hotels had their property stolen?
(a) The color of the sheets.
(b) A witness called the police.
(c) The hotel monogram on the sheets.
(d) Baldwin's friend told the police they were stolen.
7. What did Baldwin's first jail cell resemble?
(a) An American prison.
(b) A bird's nest.
(c) A prison cell.
(d) A chicken coop.
8. How many hours does it take to get from Milan to the Swiss Village?
9. When was Baldwin's father born?
(c) It is unknown.
(d) During slavery.
10. What was the profession of Baldwin's father?
(b) Hotel Attendant.
11. What happened on the same day that Baldwin's father died?
(a) The tenth child was born.
(b) The eighth child was born.
(c) The ninth child was born.
(d) The seventh child was born.
12. In what year was Baldwin arrested in Paris?
13. In the chapter entitled A Question of Identity, what does Baldwin describe as a flimsy structure, beneath contempt, designed by and for all the other people?
14. What have some of the men in the Swiss village accused Baldwin of doing?
(a) Talking badly about their religion.
(b) Dating some of the women in the Swiss village.
(c) Being the devil.
(d) Stealing firewood.
15. Where did Baldwin spend much of his time while in Paris?
(d) The Eiffel Tower.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what has the African not yet endured that the American Negro has endured?
2. According to Baldwin, what discovery brings an end to the alienation of the American student in Paris?
3. Instead of discussing the past, what does Baldwin suggest the American Negro and Whites discuss while in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
4. According to Baldwin, what was the legend of Paris?
5. According to Baldwin, what does not exist among American students in Paris in the 1950s?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)