|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What emotion of Baldwin's father does he describe as "never to be trusted"?
(a) His father's sadness.
(b) His father's love.
(c) His father's kindness.
(d) His father's temper.
2. According to Baldwin, which of the following can the black man call home?
3. Where did Baldwin spend much of his time while in Paris?
(d) The Eiffel Tower.
4. How many schoolhouses are located in the Swiss village?
5. What prison was Baldwin's friend sent to that he was forbidden to enter?
(b) La Mese.
(d) La Santé.
6. What other event shared the same date as the funeral of Baldwin's father?
(a) Baldwin's 20th birthday.
(b) Baldwin's 18th birthday.
(c) Baldwin's 17th birthday.
(d) Baldwin's 19th birthday.
7. Where does Baldwin stay while in Switzerland?
(a) A tent.
(b) A hotel.
(c) A chalet.
(d) A room in a church.
8. In total, how many days did Baldwin spend in the French prison system?
9. What does Baldwin say boys and young men of the Swiss village can be seen doing all week long?
(a) Shoveling snow off of the rooftops.
(d) Going to church.
10. What did Baldwin claim that the soldiers who studied in Paris had in common with the rest of the soliders that fought in the war?
(a) They both spoke French.
(b) They both studied French culture.
(c) They both wore uniforms.
(d) They both were Black.
11. Where was Baldwin's father born?
(b) New Orleans.
(d) St. Louis.
12. What technique did Baldwin say he used in arguments with his father?
(a) Combative behavior.
(d) Name calling.
13. Who is the owner of the night club in the Latin Quarter that specializes in fried chicken and jazz?
(a) Harry Belafonte.
(b) Chester Bomar Himes.
(c) Otto Preminger.
(d) Inez Cavanaugh.
14. What term does Baldwin use to describe the lives of American student in Paris in the 1950s?
(a) Social Congruence.
(b) Social Butterflies.
(c) Social Stability.
(d) Social Limbo.
15. According to Baldwin, where does the family lineage of any black man in America stop?
(c) The slave trade.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Baldwin's father born?
2. According to Baldwin, what has the African not yet endured that the American Negro has endured?
3. What is one way that Baldwin claims a person can become entrenched in the Parisian lifestyle?
4. In the essay Equal in Paris, what city was Baldwin's new "friend" from?
5. In the chapter entitled A Question of Identity, what does Baldwin describe as a flimsy structure, beneath contempt, designed by and for all the other people?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)