|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the children call Baldwin when he first arrives in the Swiss village?
(a) Black man.
(c) Poor man.
2. In the essay Equal in Paris, what are we told lead police to know that one of the Parisian hotels had their property stolen?
(a) Baldwin's friend told the police they were stolen.
(b) A witness called the police.
(c) The hotel monogram on the sheets.
(d) The color of the sheets.
3. In the chapter entitled A Question of Identity, what does Baldwin describe as a flimsy structure, beneath contempt, designed by and for all the other people?
4. According to Baldwin, who were the only people able to maintain a useful and unquestioned friendship with Negroes during the 1940s and 50s in Paris?
(a) Negro soliders.
(b) The French.
(c) Negro entertainers.
(d) White Americans.
5. What phenomenon does Baldwin address in the essay entitled, A Question of Identity?
(a) Americans who chose to remain in America after the war.
(b) Americans who fought in the war.
(c) Americans who chose to remain in Paris after the war.
(d) African Americans who leave America to write about race in America.
6. What is the name of the night club in the Latin Quarter that specializes in fried chicken and jazz?
(a) Chez Paris.
(b) Le Paris cafe.
(c) Chez Inez.
(d) Sorbonne cafe.
7. What issue is the American constantly confronted with in Paris?
8. How long had Baldwin been gone from home when his father passed away?
(a) A little over a year.
(b) Less than a year.
(c) More than 2 years.
(d) One year.
9. What does Baldwin say must sustain the American Negro in the present?
(a) The European future.
(b) The African past that is disregarded in Europe.
(c) The European present.
(d) The American past that is disregarded in Europe.
10. What prison was Baldwin's friend sent to that he was forbidden to enter?
(c) La Santé.
(d) La Mese.
11. What color clothing did Baldwin say he did not have to wear to his father's funeral?
12. Approximately how many American Negroes were living in Paris during the 1950s?
13. According to Baldwin, what has the African not yet endured that the American Negro has endured?
(b) Alienation from his people and his past.
(d) Transcontinential travel.
14. In what year was Baldwin arrested in Paris?
15. Where did Baldwin spend much of his time while in Paris?
(c) The Eiffel Tower.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baldwin say boys and young men of the Swiss village can be seen doing all week long?
2. According to Baldwin, which one of the following performers had the ability to be a successful performer in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
3. Who is the owner of the night club in the Latin Quarter that specializes in fried chicken and jazz?
4. How does Baldwin describe the housing of all students living in the Latin Quarter?
5. Who visits Baldwin while he is in prison with the promise of sending someone to represent him at his trial?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)