|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
(a) A Harlem apartment.
(b) A Chicago tenement.
(c) A YMCA in Atlanta, GA.
(d) The projects of the Bronx, NY.
2. What is the avowed aim of the American protest novel?
(a) To bring Christianity to the oppressed.
(b) To bring greater charity to the oppressed.
(c) To bring greater freedom to the oppressed.
(d) To bring the ideals of socialism to the oppressed.
3. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
(a) Aunt Jemima and Carmen Jones.
(b) Carmen Jones and Uncle Tom.
(c) Aunt Jemima and Othello.
(d) Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom.
4. How is history and the progress of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
5. Baldwin believes that the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin should have been:
(a) A Novel.
(b) A Short Story.
(c) A Pamphlet.
(d) A Play.
6. How does Baldwin describe the American Ideal?
(a) Everyone should connect to their cultural identity.
(b) Everyone should reconnect to American history.
(c) Everyone should be as alike as possible.
(d) Everyone should be as different as possible.
7. Why did Baldwin think the Negro vote was so easily bought and sold in the 1940s?
(a) Because Whites has a great influence in Black politics.
(b) Because it was treated with little respect.
(c) Because Blacks were in need of money.
(d) Because Blacks did care about politics.
8. What is dehumanization of the Negro inseparable from?
(a) The loss of African American identity.
(b) The loss of our own identity.
(c) The loss of Negroes to slavery.
(d) The loss of racial identity.
9. What novel does Baldwin criticize as a more modern piece of shallow propaganda from the Negro experience?
(a) Carmen Jones.
(b) Uncle Tom's Cabin.
(c) Black No More.
(d) Native Son.
10. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
(a) Because they do not accurately portray the environments of the working class Negroes characterized in the movie.
(b) Because they do not accurately portray the working-class.
(c) Because it does not accurately portray the American ghetto.
(d) Because they do not show the intermingling of working class Negroes and Whites.
11. What was the political affiliation of the Amsterdam Star-News?
12. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
(a) Native Son.
(b) Black Boy.
(d) Little Women.
13. What biblical story does Baldwin say allows the Blacks to identify with Jews?
(a) Moses' deliverance from Egypt.
(b) God's Covenant with Abraham.
(c) Jesus' crucifixion.
(d) God's creation of Adam.
14. According to Baldwin, what characteristic does Dorothy Dandridge have that Pearl Bailey lacks?
15. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
(a) Our passion for knowledge.
(b) Our passion for clarity.
(c) Our passion for categorization.
(d) Our passion for change.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following artists was mentioned in the Harlem Ghetto chapter as having a column in the People's Voice?
2. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
3. How does Baldwin say American life compares to life in other parts of the world in the 1940s?
4. What does Baldwin say it means for the Negro to be religious?
5. What point of view does Baldwin use in this essay?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)