|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What genre of film is the movie Carmen Jones?
(c) Drama .
2. Why was Uncle Tom's Cabin was written?
(a) To show the every day life of a slave.
(b) To tell the true story of Uncle Tom.
(c) To abolish slavery.
(d) To prove slavery is wrong.
3. Where did the Melodeers room while in Atlanta?
(c) a Negro motel.
(d) The homes of Progressive Party members.
4. The story of Carmen Jones deals with what type of people?
5. Which of the following is not a characteristic given to history by Baldwin?
(b) Negative images in the media.
(d) Remote Violence.
6. What point of view does Baldwin use in this essay?
(a) Third person narrative.
(b) Second person narrative.
(c) First person limited narrative.
(d) First person narrative.
7. What impeded the Progressive Party's progression in Harlem during the 1940s?
(a) The campaign promises were too common.
(b) The campaign promises were geared towards Whites.
(c) The campaign promises were geared towards African Americans.
(d) The campaign promises were too extravagant.
8. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
(a) The music pieces were sung in Italian and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(b) The music pieces were sung by white men and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(c) The music pieces were sung by middle class black people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(d) The music pieces were sung by white people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
9. What Hollywood studio produced the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Universal Studios.
(b) Walt Disney Studios.
(c) Twentieth Century Fox.
(d) MGM Studios.
10. What does Baldwin say it means for the Negro to be religious?
(a) He stands in fear of God.
(b) He stands in fear of beast.
(c) He stands in fear of creation.
(d) He stands in fear of man.
11. Where can the true raison d'être of the Negro press be found?
(a) The front pages of the Negro newspapers.
(b) Letters to the editor.
(c) Ebony magazine.
(d) Lifestyle sections of the Black magazines.
12. What novel does Baldwin criticize as a more modern piece of shallow propaganda from the Negro experience?
(a) Uncle Tom's Cabin.
(b) Carmen Jones.
(c) Black No More.
(d) Native Son.
13. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
(a) Because African Americans love to imitate these types of stereotypical characters.
(b) Because Whites like being entertained by the stereotypical figures of Black Americans.
(c) Because Whites want to believe the happy, subservient personas of Black people
(d) Because Whites want to believe that Black people are unhappy with their lives.
14. What was the political affiliation of the Amsterdam Star-News?
15. How many of Baldwin's brothers were in the quartet?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what color are the robes of the saved?
2. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
3. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
4. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
5. Who was the representative of the Progressive Party in Atlanta?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)