|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones considered an insult on black people?
(a) Because the characters speak like northern born Negroes.
(b) Because the characters speak like stereotypical Negroes.
(c) Because the characters speak like antebellum Negroes adopting the patterns language of their masters.
(d) Because the characters speak like enslaved Africans.
2. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
(a) Ebony and Our World.
(b) Ebony and Essence.
(c) Ebony and Jet.
(d) Essence and Jet.
3. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
(a) A YMCA in Atlanta, GA.
(b) A Chicago tenement.
(c) The projects of the Bronx, NY.
(d) A Harlem apartment.
4. What impeded the Progressive Party's progression in Harlem during the 1940s?
(a) The campaign promises were too common.
(b) The campaign promises were geared towards African Americans.
(c) The campaign promises were too extravagant.
(d) The campaign promises were geared towards Whites.
5. What's the name of Baldwin's brother who relayed his experience with the Melodeers in Atlanta?
6. How many of Baldwin's brothers were in the quartet?
7. What genre of film is the movie Carmen Jones?
(b) Drama .
8. Since Negroes have been in this country, Baldwin writes that their one devastating gain was:
9. Baldwin believes that the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin should have been:
(a) A Short Story.
(b) A Pamphlet.
(c) A Novel.
(d) A Play.
10. How is the Negro in America referred to in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) A gloomy mist.
(b) A series of mishaps.
(c) A mass of darkness.
(d) A series of shadows.
11. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
(b) Coarse hair.
(c) Dark colored skin.
(d) Brown eyes.
12. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) The story of Americans.
(b) The story of Native Americans.
(c) The story of the original American settlers.
(d) The story of African Americans.
13. Who was the representative of the Progressive Party in Atlanta?
(a) Mrs. Branson Price.
(b) Mrs. Dorothy Dandridge.
(c) Mrs. Frank Johnson.
(d) Mr. Henry Wallace.
14. How long did the quartet's trip to Atlanta last?
(a) 20 days.
(b) 14 days.
(c) 16 days.
(d) 18 days.
15. Who played the villainous second male lead in Carmen Jones?
(a) Sammy Davis, Jr.
(b) Sidney Poitier.
(c) Harry Belafonte.
(d) Joe Adams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baldwin say is the hatred symbol of Georgia?
2. According to Baldwin, what characteristic does Dorothy Dandridge have that Pearl Bailey lacks?
3. What point of view does Baldwin use in this essay?
4. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
5. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)