|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Stranger in the Village.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
(a) Essence and Jet.
(b) Ebony and Jet.
(c) Ebony and Essence.
(d) Ebony and Our World.
2. In the essay Equal in Paris, what are we told lead police to know that one of the Parisian hotels had their property stolen?
(a) The hotel monogram on the sheets.
(b) The color of the sheets.
(c) Baldwin's friend told the police they were stolen.
(d) A witness called the police.
3. Who is the author of Native Son?
(a) Langston Hughes.
(b) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(c) James Baldwin.
(d) Richard Wright.
4. In the essay Equal in Paris, what city was Baldwin's new "friend" from?
(a) New York City.
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) New Jersey.
(d) Atlantic City.
5. According to Baldwin, what is afforded to American students in Paris?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Baldwin consume a lot of while writing?
2. What negative stereotype does the character Carmen Jones perpetuate?
3. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
4. Baldwin believed that the American Negro in Paris in the 1940s and 50s was forced to exercise what practice?
5. According to Baldwin, who are the three most important characters in Uncle Tom's Cabin?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)