|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Stranger in the Village.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
(a) He treats the Negro like a slave.
(b) He has taught the Negro to be inferior.
(c) He has divided the Jews and Negroes.
(d) He has divided Negro men and women.
2. According to Baldwin, what color is associated with evil?
3. What does Baldwin say must sustain the American Negro in the present?
(a) The European present.
(b) The African past that is disregarded in Europe.
(c) The European future.
(d) The American past that is disregarded in Europe.
4. What reason does Baldwin give for Blacks living in Paris?
(a) They fell in love with the language and cultural of Paris.
(b) They wanted to escape from American society.
(c) They wanted to marry French women.
(d) They wanted to learn more about France.
5. What do the children call Baldwin when he first arrives in the Swiss village?
(b) Poor man.
(c) Black man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
2. What does Baldwin say is the hatred symbol of Harlem?
3. Where does Baldwin think the older brothers and sisters in the Swiss village go to school?
4. According to Baldwin, what discovery brings an end to the alienation of the American student in Paris?
5. What did Baldwin claim that the soldiers who studied in Paris had in common with the rest of the soliders that fought in the war?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)