|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Stranger in the Village.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baldwin escape to Paris?
(a) To live with a French family.
(b) To escape the racial prejudice of America.
(c) To escape the racial prejudice of Africa.
(d) To study French culture.
2. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
(a) The music pieces were sung in Italian and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(b) The music pieces were sung by white people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(c) The music pieces were sung by white men and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(d) The music pieces were sung by middle class black people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
3. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
(a) White people do not want to see an interracial cast.
(b) The all-Negro cast is less intimidating.
(c) There are no white people to which the Negroes may be compared.
(d) The Negroes would see a movie with an all-Negro cast.
4. In what year was Baldwin arrested in Paris?
5. What stereotypical trait do the immoral and evil characters share in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Coarse hair.
(b) Brown eyes.
(d) Dark colored skin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tool(s) does Baldwin take with him to the Swiss village?
2. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
3. How are the oppressed and oppressor described in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
4. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
5. What is dehumanization of the Negro inseparable from?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)