|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Stranger in the Village.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prison was Baldwin's friend sent to that he was forbidden to enter?
(b) La Mese.
(d) La Santé.
2. What food was always in the reoccurring nightmares that Baldwin had while in Fresnes?
(a) His mother's fried chicken.
(b) Collard greens.
(c) Sweet potato pie.
(d) His mother's macaroni and cheese.
3. Where did Baldwin and his white friend from New York go on Baldwin's last night in New Jersey?
(a) To downtown New York City.
(b) To the casino.
(c) Atlantic City, NJ.
(d) To the movies and to have drinks.
4. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
(a) Because they do not show the intermingling of working class Negroes and Whites.
(b) Because they do not accurately portray the working-class.
(c) Because it does not accurately portray the American ghetto.
(d) Because they do not accurately portray the environments of the working class Negroes characterized in the movie.
5. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
(a) The story of African Americans.
(b) The story of Native Americans.
(c) The story of Americans.
(d) The story of the original American settlers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
2. What was the aim of the quartet groups like the Melodeers?
3. What do the Swiss Villagers occasionally do on Sundays?
4. What action performed by the prison guards did Baldwin think demoralized him as a human being?
5. According to Baldwin, both the Negro and the Jew are characterized as:
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)