|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Stranger in the Village.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
(a) Because it does not accurately portray the American ghetto.
(b) Because they do not accurately portray the working-class.
(c) Because they do not show the intermingling of working class Negroes and Whites.
(d) Because they do not accurately portray the environments of the working class Negroes characterized in the movie.
2. What emotion of Baldwin's father does he describe as "never to be trusted"?
(a) His father's sadness.
(b) His father's love.
(c) His father's kindness.
(d) His father's temper.
3. Why did Baldwin think the Negro vote was so easily bought and sold in the 1940s?
(a) Because Blacks were in need of money.
(b) Because it was treated with little respect.
(c) Because Whites has a great influence in Black politics.
(d) Because Blacks did care about politics.
4. In what year was the all-Black production of Carmen Jones released?
5. What does Baldwin claim Jews and Negroes must use in order to be accepted in the 1940s and 1950s?
(a) Every weapon possible.
(b) American History.
(d) Knowledge of American society.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following artists was mentioned in the Harlem Ghetto chapter as having a column in the People's Voice?
2. According to Baldwin, what does the black man in American struggle to find?
3. How does Baldwin say American life compares to life in other parts of the world in the 1940s?
4. Who is the author of Native Son?
5. Where did Baldwin live while in Paris?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)