|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Stranger in the Village.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the avowed aim of the American protest novel?
(a) To bring greater charity to the oppressed.
(b) To bring the ideals of socialism to the oppressed.
(c) To bring Christianity to the oppressed.
(d) To bring greater freedom to the oppressed.
2. Where can the true raison d'être of the Negro press be found?
(a) Letters to the editor.
(b) Lifestyle sections of the Black magazines.
(c) Ebony magazine.
(d) The front pages of the Negro newspapers.
3. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
(a) Native Son.
(b) Black Boy.
(c) Little Women.
4. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
(a) A YMCA in Atlanta, GA.
(b) The projects of the Bronx, NY.
(c) A Chicago tenement.
(d) A Harlem apartment.
5. Who played the lead male role in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Harry Belafonte.
(b) Joe Adams.
(c) Sidney Poitier.
(d) Sammy Davis, Jr.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter entitled A Question of Identity, what does Baldwin describe as a flimsy structure, beneath contempt, designed by and for all the other people?
2. What stereotypical trait is shared by the female and male leads in the film Carmen Jones?
3. According to Baldwin, at what point does the making of an American begin?
4. What did Baldwin's first jail cell resemble?
5. What war is discussed in the chapter entitled A Question of Identity?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)