|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Stranger in the Village.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, why has the face of the Negro changed over time?
(a) Because of the white man's need for making Negroes cook and clean the white man's home.
(b) Because of the portrayal of Uncle Tom.
(c) Because of the white man's need for making Negroes as white as possible in order to interact with them.
(d) Because African Americans refuted the stereotypical images Aunt Jemima.
2. What does Baldwin say it means for the Negro to be religious?
(a) He stands in fear of God.
(b) He stands in fear of man.
(c) He stands in fear of creation.
(d) He stands in fear of beast.
3. Why was Uncle Tom's Cabin was written?
(a) To tell the true story of Uncle Tom.
(b) To prove slavery is wrong.
(c) To show the every day life of a slave.
(d) To abolish slavery.
4. What action performed by the prison guards did Baldwin think demoralized him as a human being?
(a) Branding each prisoner with their inmate number.
(b) Restriction of one's religious beliefs.
(c) Removal of one's shoelace and belts.
(d) Deliberately not feeding the inmates.
5. How does Baldwin describe the entertainment industry in Paris for American performers in the 1940s and 50s?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Melodeers room while in Atlanta?
2. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
3. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
4. Where can the true raison d'être of the Negro press be found?
5. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)