|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Stranger in the Village.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Baldwin think it is safe for the film Carmen Jones to utilize an all-Negro cast?
(a) The all-Negro cast is less intimidating.
(b) The Negroes would see a movie with an all-Negro cast.
(c) White people do not want to see an interracial cast.
(d) There are no white people to which the Negroes may be compared.
2. Which group of Swiss villagers sometimes extend grave overtures of friendship to Baldwin?
(c) Teenage Girls.
(d) Senior Citizens.
3. What performer did Baldwin believe would be remembered for their performance as the embattled solider in Broadway's Deep Are the Roots?
(a) Otto Preminger.
(b) Joe Adams.
(c) Harry Belafonte.
(d) Gordon Heath.
4. What are protest novels?
(a) Socialism connecting nowhere to racism.
(b) Reality connecting nowhere with fantasy.
(c) Racism connecting nowhere to social policy.
(d) Fantasies connecting nowhere to reality.
5. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
(a) Our passion for clarity.
(b) Our passion for knowledge.
(c) Our passion for change.
(d) Our passion for categorization.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, why has the face of the Negro changed over time?
2. How has Harlem changed since Baldwin's parents' lifetime?
3. What did Baldwin claim that the soldiers who studied in Paris had in common with the rest of the soliders that fought in the war?
4. Why does Baldwin criticize the cleanliness of the Carmen Jones movie set?
5. What tool(s) does Baldwin take with him to the Swiss village?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)