|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Question of Identity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color clothing did Baldwin say he did not have to wear to his father's funeral?
2. Approximately how many American Negroes were living in Paris during the 1950s?
3. How does Baldwin describe the lives of the nonperforming Negroes in Paris as compared to the lives of Negro entertainers in the 1940s and 50s?
4. How has Harlem changed since Baldwin's parents' lifetime?
(a) A great deal.
(b) Not at all.
(c) Not much.
(d) Somewhat in the Jewish occupied areas.
5. How was the 1955 production of Carmen Jones different than previous productions?
(a) It had an all-African cast.
(b) It had an all-white cast.
(c) It had an all-Negro cast.
(d) It had an interracial cast.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, who were the only people able to maintain a useful and unquestioned friendship with Negroes during the 1940s and 50s in Paris?
2. Why does Baldwin assert that White people contribute to the perpetuation of the stereotypical characters such as Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom?
3. According to Baldwin, why has the face of the Negro changed over time?
4. Which group did Baldwin mention as living together in groups - in the same neighborhoods and student hotels - while in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
5. What is the name of the first church that Baldwin can remember attending with his family as a child?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)