|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Question of Identity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe a "new society" in the book, Notes of a Native Son?
(a) One in which inequalities change because of protests.
(b) One in which Negros and Whites work together.
(c) One in which inequalities will disappear and vengeance will be exacted.
(d) One in which Negros resume their slave duties.
2. According to Baldwin, both the Negro and the Jew are characterized as:
3. According to Baldwin, what feeling did the American Negro and the French Negro share?
(a) A sense of displacement.
(b) A sense of change.
(c) A sense of overwhelming understanding.
(d) A sense of sadness.
4. Since Negroes have been in this country, Baldwin writes that their one devastating gain was:
5. How does Baldwin describe the relationship between the Negroes and the Jews in Harlem?
Short Answer Questions
1. What two big name magazines, popular in the African American community in the 1940s, are mentioned in the chapter entitled The Harlem Ghetto?
2. What does Baldwin claim Jews and Negroes must use in order to be accepted in the 1940s and 1950s?
3. What has made some changes in the face of the Negro?
4. Whose records did Baldwin's father forbid his children to play?
5. What does Baldwin say is the hatred symbol of Harlem?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)