|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Question of Identity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, which one of the following performers had the ability to be a successful performer in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
(a) Jospehine Baker.
(b) Dorothy Dandridge.
(c) Harry Belafonte.
(d) Duke Ellington.
2. What has made some changes in the face of the Negro?
3. What is not one of the two legends of the "white Gentile" as described by Baldwin?
(a) He has divided the Jews and Negroes.
(b) He treats the Negro like a slave.
(c) He has taught the Negro to be inferior.
(d) He has divided Negro men and women.
4. What did the parents of the Melodeers oppose prior to their departure for Atlanta?
(a) Mr. Wades as the group's manager and guardian .
(b) Only one chaperone for the group.
(c) An extra tour.
(d) The trip to Atlanta.
5. Who was the presidential candidate representing the Progressive Party at the time Baldwin wrote this essay?
(a) James Jordan.
(b) Henry Wallace.
(c) Clarence Warde.
(d) Paul Roberson.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what does not exist among American students in Paris in the 1950s?
2. What did Baldwin claim that the soldiers who studied in Paris had in common with the rest of the soliders that fought in the war?
3. How does Baldwin describe the relationship between the Negroes and the Jews in Harlem?
4. How does Baldwin describe literature on the subject of the Negro in America when it is written by Whites?
5. Baldwin believed that the American Negro in Paris in the 1940s and 50s was forced to exercise what practice?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)