|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Question of Identity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Baldwin describe the relationship between the Negroes and the Jews in Harlem?
2. What is the setting of the opening of Native Son?
(a) A Chicago tenement.
(b) The projects of the Bronx, NY.
(c) A Harlem apartment.
(d) A YMCA in Atlanta, GA.
3. Who played the lead male role in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Sidney Poitier.
(b) Joe Adams.
(c) Sammy Davis, Jr.
(d) Harry Belafonte.
4. How does Baldwin describe the lives of the nonperforming Negroes in Paris as compared to the lives of Negro entertainers in the 1940s and 50s?
5. What reason does Baldwin give for Blacks living in Paris?
(a) They fell in love with the language and cultural of Paris.
(b) They wanted to marry French women.
(c) They wanted to learn more about France.
(d) They wanted to escape from American society.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the story of the Negro described in the chapter entitled Many Thousands Gone?
2. What stereotypical trait is shared by the female and male leads in the film Carmen Jones?
3. What did Baldwin claim that the soldiers who studied in Paris had in common with the rest of the soliders that fought in the war?
4. Why is the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones considered an insult on black people?
5. What war is discussed in the chapter entitled A Question of Identity?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)