|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Question of Identity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the language and dialect in the film Carmen Jones considered an insult on black people?
(a) Because the characters speak like stereotypical Negroes.
(b) Because the characters speak like antebellum Negroes adopting the patterns language of their masters.
(c) Because the characters speak like northern born Negroes.
(d) Because the characters speak like enslaved Africans.
2. Where did Baldwin go after his father's funeral to celebrate his birthday?
(d) Atlantic City.
3. Who was the legal guardian and road manager of the Melodeers during their journey to Atlanta?
(a) Adam Jones.
(b) Henry Wallace.
(c) Clarence Warde.
(d) Branson Price.
4. What newspaper rivaled the Amsterdam Star-News in the 1940s?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) The People's Voice.
(c) The Pittsburgh Courier.
(d) The Afro-American.
5. What emotion of Baldwin's father does he describe as "never to be trusted"?
(a) His father's kindness.
(b) His father's love.
(c) His father's sadness.
(d) His father's temper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
2. Since Negroes have been in this country, Baldwin writes that their one devastating gain was:
3. According to Baldwin, which one of the following performers had the ability to be a successful performer in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
4. What legislation made it possible for American soldiers to pay for their education in Paris after the war?
5. What novel does Baldwin compare Uncle Tom's Cabin to?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)