|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Question of Identity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Baldwin suggest attracted ex-GI's to live and study in Paris?
(a) The architecture associated with Paris.
(b) The romanticism associated with Paris.
(c) The beauty of the language.
(d) The food associated with Paris.
2. Where can the true raison d'être of the Negro press be found?
(a) Ebony magazine.
(b) Lifestyle sections of the Black magazines.
(c) Letters to the editor.
(d) The front pages of the Negro newspapers.
3. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
(a) Aunt Jemima and Carmen Jones.
(b) Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom.
(c) Carmen Jones and Uncle Tom.
(d) Aunt Jemima and Othello.
4. Who played the lead role of Carmen in the film Carmen Jones?
(a) Lena Horne.
(b) Dorothy Dandridge.
(c) Pearl Bailey.
(d) Carmen Jones.
5. Why does Baldwin insist that the operatic songs performed by the cast in the film Carmen Jones have no connection to Negro life?
(a) The music pieces were sung by white people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(b) The music pieces were sung by white men and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(c) The music pieces were sung by middle class black people and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
(d) The music pieces were sung in Italian and dubbed over the black actor's lip syncs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What difference does Baldwin suggest exists between soldiers that studied in Paris and those that did not?
2. According to Baldwin, what has led to unforeseen paradoxical distress?
3. Although it is known that African Americans are not biologically or mentally inferior, what occurred during the World War II?
4. What does Baldwin say must sustain the American Negro in the present?
5. What negative stereotype does the character Carmen Jones perpetuate?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)