|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Question of Identity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Baldwin, what has the African not yet endured that the American Negro has endured?
(a) Alienation from his people and his past.
(c) Transcontinential travel.
2. Which group did Baldwin mention as living together in groups - in the same neighborhoods and student hotels - while in Paris in the 1940s and 50s?
(a) Black soldiers.
(b) The French African.
(c) American Negroes.
(d) White Americans.
3. How does Baldwin say American life compares to life in other parts of the world in the 1940s?
(a) Life in America moves slower.
(b) Life in America moves at the same pace as other places in the world.
(c) Life in America moves faster.
(d) People in America are indifferent to what is going on in other parts of the world.
4. What two stereotypical figures does the author portray as portraits of the Negro in America with laudatory and heinous qualities?
(a) Aunt Jemima and Carmen Jones.
(b) Aunt Jemima and Othello.
(c) Carmen Jones and Uncle Tom.
(d) Aunt Jemima and Uncle Tom.
5. In what year was the all-Black production of Carmen Jones released?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baldwin say is the hatred symbol of Georgia?
2. How long had Baldwin been gone from home when his father passed away?
3. Who is the author of Uncle Tom's Cabin?
4. What negative stereotype does the character Carmen Jones perpetuate?
5. What has made some changes in the face of the Negro?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)